Songs about..uh...er...um...

redace

Mar 9, 2001, 6:51:50 PM3/9/01
I was in my car earlier listening to my Who Are You (The Who) CD. My
favorite song is "Trick of the Light" and it occurred to me that there
are quite a few songs referring to the "world's oldest profession" (or
is it the second oldest??)...prostitution. Here's what I've come up
with so far...

Trick of the Light--The Who
Acid Queen--The Who
Black Diamond--KISS
Roxanne--The Police
Brown Sugar--Rolling Stones
Ladies in Waiting--KISS
Call Me--Blondie
Got Love for Sale--KISS
Whole Lotta Rosie--AC/DC
Just a Gigolo--Covered by David Lee Roth (can't remember the
original...having a brain fart right now)
Spreading the Disease--Queensryche (Suite Sister Mary also makes
reference to the same prostitute)
Lady Red Light--Great White
Little Dove--Faster Pussycat
Girl Money--Kix
What Do You Do For Money Honey--AC/DC
Girl Gone Bad--Van Halen

OK now your turn! :-)

Lori =^.^=

Nanc

Mar 9, 2001, 7:10:34 PM3/9/01
Private Dancer- Tina Turner

Beatlfilms

Mar 9, 2001, 7:55:10 PM3/9/01
redace said:

Kind of a twist on it: He's A Whore by Cheap Trick.

And would Darling Nikki by Prince count? The song is just darn kinky by any
standard! :-)

Shawn

redace

Mar 9, 2001, 8:02:13 PM3/9/01

Beatlfilms wrote in message
<20010309195510...@ng-fa1.aol.com>...

Weeellll...I thought about Darling Nikki, too..but she didn't charge him
for her favors. ;-) Now if you want a list about "loose women".....

Lori =^.^=

JoKisLany

Mar 9, 2001, 8:13:59 PM3/9/01
Lady Marmalade?

NJROB65

Mar 9, 2001, 8:32:06 PM3/9/01
"Roxanne"- The Police
"Lola"- The Kinks (?)

Jeff Troutman

Mar 9, 2001, 8:33:04 PM3/9/01
"Beatlfilms" <beatl...@aol.com> wrote:

> Kind of a twist on it: He's A Whore by Cheap Trick.

In the same vein is "53rd & 3rd" by The Ramones.

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

Mar 9, 2001, 8:36:27 PM3/9/01

"Maggie May" by Rod Stewart
"Lady Marmalade" by Labelle

Jeff Troutman

recsec

Mar 9, 2001, 9:10:30 PM3/9/01

"redace" <redace...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> I was in my car earlier listening to my Who Are You (The Who) CD. My
> favorite song is "Trick of the Light" and it occurred to me that there
> are quite a few songs referring to the "world's oldest profession" (or
> is it the second oldest??)...prostitution.
>
> OK now your turn! :-)
>
> Lori =^.^=

House Of The Rising Sun - The Animals
Honky Tonk Women - The Stones
Fancy - Reba McCintire
Billy

redace

Mar 9, 2001, 9:26:30 PM3/9/01

Ugly wrote in message ...
>On Fri, 09 Mar 2001 23:51:50 GMT, redace babbled on about Songs
about..uh...er...um...
>proclaiming:

>>I was in my car earlier listening to my Who Are You (The Who) CD. My
>>favorite song is "Trick of the Light" and it occurred to me that there
>>are quite a few songs referring to the "world's oldest profession" (or
>>is it the second oldest??)...prostitution. Here's what I've come up
>>with so far...
>>
>>Call Me--Blondie
>
>Um... correct me if I'm wrong... you had some good selections, but Call
Me??? Thinking
>about it I don't recall it having anything to do with prostitution,
although keeping in
>step with the "misheard lyrics" thread, I may not have listened
correctly. Can you
>substantiate your claim?

Well, it *was* the theme for American Gigolo. Secondly, I looked up the
lyrics, and although a bit vague, it does infer the life of a gigolo
(which, of course, is the male alternative for a prostitute. here's
the lyrics for you, again it's a little vague.

CALL ME - (Harry/Moroder)
Colour me your colour, baby
Colour me your car
Colour me your colour, darling
I know who you are
Come up off your colour chart
I know where you're coming from
Call me on the line
Call me call me any anytime
Call me in my life
You can call me any day or night
Call me
Cover me with kisses, baby
Cover me with love
Roll me in designer sheets
I'll never get enough
Emotions come I don't know why
Cover up love's alibi
Call me on the line
Call me call me any anytime
Call me oh my love
When you're ready we can share the wine
Call me
Ooh, he speaks the languages of love
Ooh, amore, chiamami chiamami.
Oo, appelle-moi mon cherie, appelle-moi
Anytime anyplace anywhere anyway
Anytime anyplace anywhere any day, anyway
Call me my love
Call me call me any anytime
Call me for a ride
Call me call me for some overtime
Call me my love
Call me call me in a sweet design
Call me call me for your lover's lover's alibi
Call me on the line
Call me call me any anytime
Call me
Oh, call me, ooh ooh ah.
Call me my love
Call me, call me any anytime.

That's the best I can offer for ya'. ;-)

Lori =^.^=

Yeff

Mar 9, 2001, 9:51:07 PM3/9/01

For a mention how about "The Boxer"?

Asking only workman's wages
I come looking for a job,
But I get no offers,
Just a-come on from the whores on 7th Avenue.
I do declare
There were times when I was so lonesone
I took some comfort there.

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

Tom Conroy

Mar 9, 2001, 10:12:27 PM3/9/01

Hi Lori,

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but the British lefty noise/punk band
The Pop Group released a single called "We Are All Prostitutes," though they
were using the term more figuratively to critique modern bourgeois social
life and what they took to be mindless consumerism. If you ever get a chance
t hear it, it's a wonderful piece of pure noise-punk agit-prop.

Tom

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Mar 9, 2001, 10:17:21 PM3/9/01

Jeff, just a small observation: I work on 55th and 1st; I pass through 53rd
and 3rd just about every day, and I have yet to see a skinny young, black
leather jacket wearing young punk standing on the corner turning tricks (or
pulling out a razor blade). Perhaps this corner has been cleaned up over
the past 25 years.

Tom

rach

Mar 9, 2001, 10:43:08 PM3/9/01

Darling Nikki!!! Man I love that song! It makes me giggle with glee just to
think of it! That song just plain ol kicks ass! Prince also did one around
called Get Off around '91 or so and there was a host of kinky songs on the
album that held Raspberry Beret

#1 Tiger Fan

Mar 9, 2001, 11:26:59 PM3/9/01
On Fri, 09 Mar 2001 23:51:50 GMT, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
induhvidual wrote:

>I was in my car earlier listening to my Who Are You (The Who) CD. My
>favorite song is "Trick of the Light" and it occurred to me that there
>are quite a few songs referring to the "world's oldest profession" (or
>is it the second oldest??)...prostitution. Here's what I've come up
>with so far...

[trim]

How could you forget to list "Bad Girls" by Donna Summer in the 70's
discussion group? 50 lashes for you.

#1 Tiger Fan
**************

"belive me I am nothing to bragg about so dont waste all your time.®"
"it seems like every boddy trys to be politicly incorect these days®"
- grapetastebasted

"Jefferies sucks!"
- Public Domain

" It is just as pertinent as Fat Albert or other aspects of our
culture.®"
-None

Winner of the "Name the Little Fool" contest!!!®
- OMF

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

redace

Mar 9, 2001, 11:44:49 PM3/9/01

#1 Tiger Fan wrote in message ...

>On Fri, 09 Mar 2001 23:51:50 GMT, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
>induhvidual wrote:
>
>>I was in my car earlier listening to my Who Are You (The Who) CD. My
>>favorite song is "Trick of the Light" and it occurred to me that there
>>are quite a few songs referring to the "world's oldest profession" (or
>>is it the second oldest??)...prostitution. Here's what I've come up
>>with so far...
>[trim]
>
>How could you forget to list "Bad Girls" by Donna Summer in the 70's
>discussion group? 50 lashes for you.

LOL! Hey, I figured 16 of them was enough! I want to leave a few out
there for everybody else! (All right...I forgot that one...I'll take my
noodle lashes now.) ;-)

Lori =^.^=

NJROB65

Mar 10, 2001, 12:39:22 AM3/10/01
Just remembered, "The Fire Down Below"- Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band

The Wanderer

Mar 10, 2001, 2:05:24 AM3/10/01
Cherry Hill Park by Billy Jo Royal, although it's more of a loose woman song
than a hooker song.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

"redace" <redace...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Mar 10, 2001, 2:05:23 AM3/10/01
How many "Table Dancers" have you known? Most of the girls that I hang out
with are ex-hookers (is there such a thing LOL), And I had a girl stay with
me in my little one bedroom apartment ;) for about 2 months about three
years ago who worked at the famous Show World and well, ya know, the job is
sex. Now, there is a certain "availability" to girls in the Sex Business
whether Table Dancers or outright hookers. It's hard to differentiate
between "almost" sex and sex, and a few bucks sometimes makes all the
difference in the world.

--

"Ugly" <baba...@drlauramail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 00:10:34 GMT, Nanc babbled on about Re: Songs
about..uh...er...um...
> proclaiming:
>
> >Private Dancer- Tina Turner
>
> Okay I may be splitting hairs now. However, I could have sworn that she
was a table
> dancer, not a hooker.
>
> *************************
> Cat: the other white meat
> *************************

Davisk

Mar 10, 2001, 2:18:36 AM3/10/01
Not as well known, but 'Street Lady' by Donald Byrd. What about Brandy in
'Brady' by Looking Glass? Was she a prostitute who fell in love with one
sailor?

Just A Gigolo, I know was covered by The Village People back in 1978 on the
Macho Man album. Isn't it like a Cole Porter song from the 1940's?

Davisk

Mar 10, 2001, 2:19:54 AM3/10/01

"JoKisLany" <joki...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Lady Marmalade?

I think so. 'Voulez-vous couchez avec moi, ce soir' - asking men if they
wanted to go to bed, so I think she was a prostitute.

Davisk

Mar 10, 2001, 2:21:55 AM3/10/01
What about 'Lady Godiva'? I forget who sang that song (a British Invasion
group in the '60s), but wasn't it about some woman who couldn't make it as
an actress or model and finally she ended up in peep shows or as a
prostitute?

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

#1 Tiger Fan

Mar 10, 2001, 3:24:02 AM3/10/01

Did I mention NOODLES??? ;)

Sincerely,

Monsieur DeSade

Brent Popham

Mar 10, 2001, 3:50:15 AM3/10/01
<<I was in my car earlier listening to my Who Are You (The Who) CD. My
favorite song is "Trick of the Light" and it occurred to me that there
are quite a few songs referring to the "world's oldest profession" (or
is it the second oldest??)...prostitution. Here's what I've come up
with so far...

<<Just a Gigolo--Covered by David Lee Roth (can't remember the
original...having a brain fart right now)>>

I think Louis Prima did it originally.
Brent
12-28-61
"A man is as young as the woman he feels"
Groucho Marx

David Monk

Mar 10, 2001, 8:58:22 AM3/10/01
njr...@aol.com (NJROB65) wrote in <20010310003922.25744.00000610@ng-
fp1.aol.com>:

>Just remembered, "The Fire Down Below"- Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band

Another obvious one that doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet:
Elton John - "Island Girl"

Nanc

Mar 10, 2001, 9:34:34 AM3/10/01
I didn' know that House of the Rising Sun was about that- now I'll have to
try and find the lyrics....any one know of an excellent lyrics site??
Nanc

Nanc

Mar 10, 2001, 9:37:13 AM3/10/01
RealIy? I thought Maggie May was about a girl breaking his heart. Where in
the song does it indicate she's a prostitute? This thread is gettin quite
interesting!!!!!!
Nanc

Nanc

Mar 10, 2001, 9:41:38 AM3/10/01
that one always bothered me cuz my name is in it- guilt perhaps? ; )

Nanc

Mar 10, 2001, 9:43:08 AM3/10/01
Bad Girls - yeah and Donna's from Boston too.......

Dixon Hayes

Mar 10, 2001, 10:52:11 AM3/10/01
Nanc wrote:

>RealIy? I thought Maggie May was about a girl breaking his heart. Where in
>the song does it indicate she's a prostitute? This thread is gettin quite
>interesting!!!!!!

I thought it was about an older woman's boy toy walking out on her after she's
manipulated him one too many times...shows what I know!

Dixon
=============
"Now let's get THAT vehicle OUTTA here!!"
--Barney Fife

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

hans

Mar 10, 2001, 12:00:36 PM3/10/01

Brent Popham wrote:

> <<I was in my car earlier listening to my Who Are You (The Who) CD. My
> favorite song is "Trick of the Light" and it occurred to me that there
> are quite a few songs referring to the "world's oldest profession" (or
> is it the second oldest??)...prostitution. Here's what I've come up
> with so far...

Off the top of my head: ZZ Top, "La Grange," Steely Dan, "Here at the
Western World," "Pearl of the Quarter," "Gaucho."

redace

Mar 10, 2001, 12:43:15 PM3/10/01

redace wrote in message ...

>I was in my car earlier listening to my Who Are You (The Who) CD. My
>favorite song is "Trick of the Light" and it occurred to me that there
>are quite a few songs referring to the "world's oldest profession" (or
>is it the second oldest??)...prostitution. Here's what I've come up
>with so far...
>
>Trick of the Light--The Who
>Acid Queen--The Who
>Black Diamond--KISS
>Roxanne--The Police
>Brown Sugar--Rolling Stones
>Ladies in Waiting--KISS
>Call Me--Blondie
>Got Love for Sale--KISS
>Whole Lotta Rosie--AC/DC
>Just a Gigolo--Covered by David Lee Roth (can't remember the
>original...having a brain fart right now)
>Spreading the Disease--Queensryche (Suite Sister Mary also makes
>reference to the same prostitute)
>Lady Red Light--Great White
>Little Dove--Faster Pussycat
>Girl Money--Kix
>What Do You Do For Money Honey--AC/DC
>Girl Gone Bad--Van Halen
>
>OK now your turn! :-)

Just remembered one more:

She--KISS

Lori =^.^=

Brent Popham

Mar 10, 2001, 1:30:26 PM3/10/01
<<It was written (I think) by Louis Prima who also did it (of Louis Prima &
Keely Smith-God I'm old).>>

The liner notes to Prima's 'Capitol Collectors Series' CD says a L. Casucci and
a I. Caesar wrote it.

Anthony Marco

Mar 10, 2001, 1:48:18 PM3/10/01
Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis - Tom Waits

anth

"redace" <redace...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Lori =^.^=

recsec

Mar 10, 2001, 2:30:23 PM3/10/01

"Nanc" <bill...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

> I didn' know that House of the Rising Sun was about that- now I'll have to
> try and find the lyrics....any one know of an excellent lyrics site??
> Nanc

I didn't know it either Nanc until I saw an interview with Eric Burdon. If I
remember correctly he said that it is actually sung from the perspective of
a whorehouse employee. It's been so long since I've seen the interview
that's it's hard to remember ecactly what he said. But I remember being
surprised that it was about that subject.
Billy

recsec

Mar 10, 2001, 2:32:36 PM3/10/01

"hans" <mister...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Off the top of my head: ZZ Top, "La Grange," Steely Dan, "Here at the
> Western World," "Pearl of the Quarter," "Gaucho."

Boy I knew there was a ZZ tune bout it but couldn't think of it.
Billy

#1 Tiger Fan

Mar 10, 2001, 11:07:04 PM3/10/01
On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 20:48:05 -0500, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
induhvidual wrote:

>That would include one of my favourites, Undercover Angel
>by Alan O'Day circa 1977, but she too was no hooker anymore than the Island Girl.

Not a hooker, she gives it away!

Heather

Mar 11, 2001, 3:13:18 AM3/11/01
"Crying in The Night"..Buckingham Nicks

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Tiny Dancer

Mar 11, 2001, 12:00:25 PM3/11/01
And so the word went out from "redace" <redace...@worldnet.att.net>:

>I was in my car earlier listening to my Who Are You (The Who) CD.
>My favorite song is "Trick of the Light" and it occurred to me that there

>are quite a few songs referring to the "world's oldest profession" (or
>is it the second oldest??)...prostitution. Here's what I've come up
>with so far...

<snip>

First off, Elton's "Island Girl" IS a hooker, gang, tsk, tsk!:

She's a big girl, she's standing six foot three
Turning tricks for the dudes in the big city

As is his "Sweet Painted Lady", obviously:

Oh sweet painted lady
Seems it's always been the same
Getting paid for being laid
Guess that's the name of the game

There's hooker talk in "Heavy Traffic":

The pimp from the Jack of Diamonds
Just got another Jane Doe
She just got off the last bus from Montecedo

The landlady in "Social Disease" could be considered a hooker:

My landlady lives in a caravan
Well that is when she isn't in my arms
And it seems I pay the rent in human kindness
But my liquor also helps to grease her palms

Another hooker mention in "Just Like Belgium":

Streetwalkers sweet talk you out of your spare change
And your sweet madame makes it seem just like Belgium

And, how's this for ironic? Elton gets ripped off by a hooker in "You're
So Static", LOL! Even at the time I knew this picture was ridiculous:

But I can still remember how she laughed at me
As I spun around and hit the bed
She said "thank you honey, forget about the money
This pretty watch'll do instead"

Ooo, here's another mention in "Tower of Babel":

Have a ball y'all
See the letches crawl
With the call girls under the table

And here we find pimps again in "(Gotta Get a) Meal Ticket":

While the Diamond Jims
And the Kings Road pimps
Breathe heavy in their brand new clothes

Man, another one off the "Captain Fantastic" album, they must have
met a lot of hookers in the early days! :-) From "Better Off Dead":

And that cigarette haze has ecology beat
As the whores and the drunks filed in from the street

But the charming Alice in "All The Girls Love Alice" was a definite trollop
so she belongs in a trollop category, not the hooker one :-)

Thus ends today's lesson, "Hookers In Elton John Songs", now put your
pencils down, there will be a test later! :-)

Cheers,

TD

All the young girls love Alice
Tender young Alice they say
If I give you my number
Will you promise to call me
Wait till my husband's away
from Elton John's "All The Girls Love Alice"

For a good time call
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html

Tiny Dancer's X-Files Episode Guide
http://www.insanity.com.au/td/

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://i.am/tinyd

Tiny Dancer

Mar 11, 2001, 12:17:41 PM3/11/01
And so the word went out from "Nanc" <bill...@mediaone.net>:

>I didn' know that House of the Rising Sun was about that- now I'll have to
>try and find the lyrics....any one know of an excellent lyrics site??

The one I really like is this one, Nanc:

Lyrics World
http://lyrics.natalnet.com.br/summer.html

Or cut to the chase and try their search engine:

http://lyrics.natalnet.com.br/asp/search/

Otherwise, your best bet when looking for lyrics is any good search
engine (I'm a Google gal myself, www.google.com), type in the word
"lyrics" and either the title of the song or a short line if you remember
it and the band's name (for this you would type, "lyrics, house of the
rising sun, animals", without the quotes, I got 4,300 hits with the first ones
giving me exactly what I needed). That's how I find most of the songs
I look for for the alt.music.lyrics ng (where people ask for lyrics).

Otherwise, I've always heard that the actual house in "House Of The
Rising Sun" was a bordello although it really doesn't come out and
say so in the song. Took a quick look around and look at this!

http://www.houseoftherisingsunbnb.com/

A real live The House of the Rising Sun Bed and Breakfast in New
Orleans! According to their blurb, it's "Named after the fictitious house
of illrepute made famous in the 1964 recording by 'The Animals'."
So, there ya go. Have I mentioned recently how much I LOVE the net?!

BTW, yet another Elton song to add to the list in my .sig.

Cheers,

TD

I swear one day I'm gonna burn that whorehouse to the ground
from Elton John's "Slave"

baker

Mar 11, 2001, 12:55:16 PM3/11/01
"Lady Marmalade" by Labelle

"Bad Girls" by Donna Summer
"For The Love Of Money" by the O'Jays mentions selling your body.
"22 Acacia Avenue" by Iron Maiden, from their Number of the Beast album.
"Wild Thing" by Tone Loc mentions "I need twenty dollars to make you
holler, I get paid to do the wild thing."
Would Tina Turner's "Private Dancer" qualify?
How about The Tube's "She's A Beauty?"
How about Billy Idol's "Flesh for Fantasy?"
Perhaps Hall and Oates' "Maneater" or "Family Man?"

Of course, I'm straying from the 70s now. lol.

redace <redace...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<q0eq6.2515$Vg3.1...@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

> I was in my car earlier listening to my Who Are You (The Who) CD. My
> favorite song is "Trick of the Light" and it occurred to me that there
> are quite a few songs referring to the "world's oldest profession" (or
> is it the second oldest??)...prostitution. Here's what I've come up
> with so far...

David Monk

Mar 11, 2001, 3:33:14 PM3/11/01
baba...@drlauramail.com (Ugly) wrote in
<OPAq6.8688$zi6.1...@newscontent-01.sprint.ca>:

>On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 13:58:22 GMT, David Monk babbled on about Re: Songs
>about..uh...er...um... proclaiming:

>Well look now... if we're talking about women who put out in general
>then you're talking over half the songs ever made. That would include

>one of my favourites, Undercover Angel by Alan O'Day circa 1977, but she
>too was no hooker anymore than the Island Girl.

Hmm, let's see here. In my opinion these lyrics are pretty blatant: !!

She's a big girl, she's standing six foot three

Turning tricks for the dudes in the big city ...

He want to take you from the racket boss
He want to save you but the cause is lost
Island girl, island girl, island girl ...

You feel her nail scratch your back just like a rake
He one more gone, he one more John who make the mistake.

Lenny Smith

Mar 11, 2001, 10:26:52 PM3/11/01

Tom Conroy wrote in message <3aa99b9b$1...@news.newsfeeds.com>...

>Hi Lori,
>
>Don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but the British lefty noise/punk band
>The Pop Group released a single called "We Are All Prostitutes," though
they
>were using the term more figuratively to critique modern bourgeois social
>life and what they took to be mindless consumerism. If you ever get a
chance
>t hear it, it's a wonderful piece of pure noise-punk agit-prop.

That's my fave piece of music they did, Tom. It was included on the "Wanna
Buy a Bridge?" compilation of Rough Trade acts, by the way.

Lenny

Lenny Smith

Mar 11, 2001, 10:27:45 PM3/11/01

#1 Tiger Fan wrote in message ...
>On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 20:48:05 -0500, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
>induhvidual wrote:
>
>>That would include one of my favourites, Undercover Angel
>>by Alan O'Day circa 1977, but she too was no hooker anymore than the
Island Girl.

>Not a hooker, she gives it away!

Damn... where can we FIND her? ; )

Lenny

charles hobbs

Mar 11, 2001, 11:47:52 PM3/11/01

Nanc wrote:

What's that song about anyway? They're all going to hell? ("fire down
below")...Or was
the "fire" something else (think: having the "hots" for someone...)

charles hobbs

Mar 11, 2001, 11:50:12 PM3/11/01

Davisk wrote:

> Not as well known, but 'Street Lady' by Donald Byrd. What about Brandy in
> 'Brady' by Looking Glass? Was she a prostitute who fell in love with one
> sailor?

I think she was just a barmaid, not a hooker

"...And there's a girl in this harbor town
And she works laying whiskey down
They say Brandy, fetch another round
And she serves them whiskey and wine"

Nanc

Mar 12, 2001, 7:03:57 AM3/12/01
what can I say Rhonda? you are the best....my hubby has a few places he
searches for the songs he plays but I have a hard time finding lyrics for
songs I like.
Nanc

Nanc

Mar 12, 2001, 7:06:28 AM3/12/01
I think it is simpler than that Charles. Think: hot, y'know ,down there....

Dixon Hayes

Mar 12, 2001, 8:11:35 AM3/12/01
charles hobbs wrote:

>What's that song about anyway? They're all going to hell? ("fire down
>below")...Or was
>the "fire" something else (think: having the "hots" for someone...)

I think "The Fire Down Below" is supposed to be a good thing, so that would
rule out hell. And I think it's something more political--like, they aren't
going to take any more crap off of anyone, something like that. So that would
rule out having the hots for someone...

Dixon Hayes

Mar 12, 2001, 8:27:09 AM3/12/01
>> >That would include one of my favourites, Undercover Angel
>> >by Alan O'Day circa 1977, but she too was no hooker anymore than the
>Island Girl.
>>
>> Not a hooker, she gives it away!

Okay, now, I'm confused. I always thought "Undercover Angel" was really
about...let's see, how can I put this delicately..."Solitaire"? So she
woulnd't be a hooker, necessarily, unless she was "imagined" that way...

Tiny Dancer

Mar 12, 2001, 9:24:59 AM3/12/01
And so the word went out from dixon...@aol.comspamless (Dixon Hayes):

>Okay, now, I'm confused. I always thought "Undercover Angel" was really
>about...let's see, how can I put this delicately..."Solitaire"? So she
>woulnd't be a hooker, necessarily, unless she was "imagined" that way...

I'm with you, Dixon, the woman in "Undercover Angel" was just a fantasy he
conjured up to ... ahem ... help keep him going until the *real* thing came
along, so to speak ;-)

Cheers,

TD
home with The Wild Thing for March Break, get used to the .sig,
it ain't changing much today!

You know I could whistle up an old tune, babe
That your memory just might recall
And I could rustle up some reminise
'Bout the good old days and all
from Harry Chapin's "If My Mary Were Here"

#1 Tiger Fan

Mar 12, 2001, 11:40:36 AM3/12/01
On 12 Mar 2001 13:27:09 GMT, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
induhvidual wrote:

>>> Not a hooker, she gives it away!
>
>Okay, now, I'm confused. I always thought "Undercover Angel" was really
>about...let's see, how can I put this delicately..."Solitaire"? So she
>woulnd't be a hooker, necessarily, unless she was "imagined" that way...
>
>Dixon

That's right, but fantasy or not, she wasn't charging. That was my
point. ;)

Francis McGill

Mar 12, 2001, 2:08:32 PM3/12/01
"More, More, More" by Andrea True Connection
"Walk on the Wild Side" by Lou Reed

* *
* Francis McGill *
* a052...@bc.seflin.org *
* "Glory to God in the Highest" *
* *

Nigel McKenzie

Mar 12, 2001, 3:21:45 PM3/12/01
"Lady Madonna" The Beatles

--
Nigel McKenzie

Nigel McKenzie

Mar 12, 2001, 5:24:56 PM3/12/01
>> "Lady Madonna" The Beatles
>
>I'm pretty sure this isn't about a prostitute. I think it is about an earth
>mother type woman who has a number of children.

Fair enough. Maybe not prostitute, but there are strong hints of guilt
and it's all phrased as a women on her own.
Is she a "kept" woman?
Who arrives on Friday without a suitcase?
Why isn't Saturday mentioned?
How does she pay the rent?

--
Nigel McKenzie

Sandy

Mar 12, 2001, 6:13:36 PM3/12/01
How about Sweet Gypsy Rose - Tony Orlando and Dawn. Not a hooker, but a
stripper.

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

Lenny Smith

Mar 12, 2001, 6:18:02 PM3/12/01

Ugly wrote in message ...
>On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:27:45 -0500, Lenny Smith babbled on about Re: Songs
>about..uh...er...um... proclaiming:
>

>I have the original '45 if that's what you mean....

Close, but as Bill Clinton might say, "No cigar."

Lenny

Nanc

Mar 12, 2001, 7:16:04 PM3/12/01
oooh Lenny that was bad!

Dixon Hayes

Mar 12, 2001, 8:49:41 PM3/12/01
Sandy wrote:

>How about Sweet Gypsy Rose - Tony Orlando and Dawn. Not a hooker, but a
>stripper.

Well as long as we're keeping track of stripper songs too, I have a vote for
"Little Egypt." Originally done by the Coasters, later covered by Elvis. My
dad used to sing this to us, believe it or not, prompting my youngest sister
(then 5) to sing it to everyone at Sunday School! (That includes the tattoo
that says Phoenix, Arizona 1949).

Lenny Smith

Mar 12, 2001, 9:28:17 PM3/12/01

Nanc wrote in message <8Fdr6.845$jF3.2...@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>...

>oooh Lenny that was bad!

Truly, it was, Nanc, hehehe... sorry! ; )

Lenny

Jeff Troutman

Mar 12, 2001, 10:24:17 PM3/12/01
"Dixon Hayes" <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote:
> Sandy wrote:
>
> >How about Sweet Gypsy Rose - Tony Orlando and Dawn. Not a hooker, but a
> >stripper.
>
> Well as long as we're keeping track of stripper songs too, I have a vote
for
> "Little Egypt." Originally done by the Coasters, later covered by Elvis.
My
> dad used to sing this to us, believe it or not, prompting my youngest
sister
> (then 5) to sing it to everyone at Sunday School! (That includes the
tattoo
> that says Phoenix, Arizona 1949).

As long as we're expanding our horizons here...

"Jennie Lee" by Jan and Arnie (Arnie would later be replaced by Dean)
"Girls, Girls, Girls" by Motley Crue.

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

Mar 12, 2001, 10:33:47 PM3/12/01
"Tiny Dancer" <ti...@idirect.com> wrote:

> Thus ends today's lesson, "Hookers In Elton John Songs", now put your
> pencils down, there will be a test later! :-)

Must......resist....straight line......

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

Mar 12, 2001, 10:39:13 PM3/12/01

"Nigel McKenzie" <mcn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote :

From a 1986 interview with McCartney in Musician magazine:

"Lady Madonna's all women. How do they do it? -bless 'em - it's that one,
you know. Baby at your breast. How do you get the time to feed them?
Where do you get the money? How do you do this thing that women do?"

Not sure if it helps, but I found it interesting.

Jeff Troutman

Beatlfilms

Mar 13, 2001, 3:15:02 AM3/13/01
Jeff Troutman said:

>As long as we're expanding our horizons here...
>
>"Jennie Lee" by Jan and Arnie (Arnie would later be replaced by Dean)
>"Girls, Girls, Girls" by Motley Crue.

Also add to that list "Take It Off" by Kiss, "Magdalene" by Lenny Kravitz, and
the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band's "Death Cab For Cutie" played during the stripper's
act in the Beatles' "Magical Mystery Tour" movie.

Shawn

The Wanderer

Nanc

Mar 13, 2001, 2:25:44 PM3/13/01
That's right! Didn't think of that one Buddy...Mary Magdalene *was* a
prostitute

The Wanderer wrote in message
<_Rpr6.6932$Rb.5...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

D.Spiegel

Mar 13, 2001, 3:04:30 PM3/13/01
>That's right! Didn't think of that one Buddy...Mary Magdalene *was* a
>prostitute

And these are two incredible songs. Good music and they raise great
theological questions!!
Dave Spiegel

Nanc

Mar 13, 2001, 4:04:32 PM3/13/01
yeah..Gary Sharone from Extreme starred in JCSS last yr in Boston and I
missed it. Heard it was a great show. He's Christian btw - that's why he
didn't mesh with Van Halen. Too many differences in musical taste. Although
he said Eddie is a great guy. A little nutty and a chain smoker but a really
cool guy. (Barb too)

D.Spiegel wrote in message
<20010313150430...@ng-ce1.news.cs.com>...

Sandy

Mar 13, 2001, 6:51:08 PM3/13/01
> Thus ends today's lesson, "Hookers In Elton John Songs", now put your
>> pencils down, there will be a test later! :-)
>>

>Must......resist....straight line......
>

>Jeff Troutman

Oh, come on Jeff!! I live for those! No more resisting!!!

D.Spiegel

Mar 14, 2001, 9:21:27 AM3/14/01
>Possibly. A&E suggested maybe she was Jesus' wife, hinting that any good
>Jewish boy would
>never consider living life unmarried. The truth? I don't know. You'd have to
>ask someone
>with a hot line direct to Jesus.

Most reputable Biblical scholarship, both from within and outside of the faith
community rejects the notion of a marriage between Mary Magdalene and Jesus of
Nazareth. There is also a body of scholarship that suggest that Mary Magdalene
might not even have been a prostitute.

Dave Spiegel

Nanc

Mar 14, 2001, 2:16:49 PM3/14/01
but if you read the Bible David I don't know how else you would dispute that
she was. Guess that discussion is for another NG????
Nanc

D.Spiegel wrote in message
<20010314092127...@ng-cn1.news.cs.com>...

Nate

Mar 14, 2001, 9:56:21 PM3/14/01
BTW - Billy!

Is it "Tube Steak Boogie" or "Tube Snake Boogie"?

This is a serious question!

Thanks in advance!!!

Francis McGill

Mar 15, 2001, 2:29:22 AM3/15/01
D.Spiegel (juns...@cs.com) wrote:
: Most reputable Biblical scholarship, both from within and outside of the faith

: community rejects the notion of a marriage between Mary Magdalene and Jesus of
: Nazareth.

This I agree with.

: There is also a body of scholarship that suggest that Mary Magdalene

: might not even have been a prostitute.

This I have never heard of.

: Dave Spiegel

recsec

Mar 15, 2001, 4:48:56 AM3/15/01

"Nate" <anat...@aol.com> wrote in message

This song rocks!!!!!

"Tube Snake Boogie"

I got a girl she lives cross town,
She's the one that really gets down.
When she boogie,
She do the tube snake boogie.
Well now boogie little baby,
Boogie woogie all night long.

I got a girl she lives on the block,
She kinda funky with her pink and black socks.
She likes to boogie,
She do the tube snake boogie.
Well now boogie woogie baby,
Boogie woogie all night long.

I got a girl, she lives on the hill.
She won't do it but her sister will,
When she boogie,
She do the tube snake boogie.
Well now boogie little baby,
Boogie woogie all night long.
Blow your top blow your top blow your top.

Other that just www.zztop.com I have this other site bookmarked on them.
It's at http://www.mcs.net/~zztop/
That's where I got the lyrics.
Billy

recsec

Mar 15, 2001, 4:50:30 AM3/15/01

"Nate" <anat...@aol.com> wrote in message

And I gotta add to this list Pearl Necklace. After all 'That's not jewelry
she's talkin' bout, it really don't cost that much'. No I didn't just say
that did I??
Billy

recsec

Mar 15, 2001, 5:31:03 AM3/15/01
O yeah & if were're gonna be talking about...uh...er...um... then I gotta
say:

I been up, I been down.
Take my word, my way around.
I ain't askin' for much.
I said, Lord, take me downtown,
I'm just lookin' for some tush.

Also another from ZZ is from Tres Hombres called Precious & Grace. It's
about not one but 2, 2 prostitutes. From the Fandango album we find Mexican
Blackbird.

They all call her her "puta" 'cause no one really knows her name.
She works the cantina, dancin' and a-lovin's her trade.
Her mama was Mez'can and her daddy was the ace of spades.

Billy (The Top likes The Women)

Nate

Mar 15, 2001, 9:24:59 PM3/15/01
I KNEW THAT WOULD GET YA' TALKIN'

Thanks for the laughs!!

ZZ is has always been known for there innuendo.

Yes, I have done the T-F****** with my ex-wife. She was up for some fun, and
she knew I'd get some jollies.

It's fun for some experimentation. However, your lover has to have a healthy
rack.

But that's me. I love a sweet rack and a little junk in the trunk.

Sorry ladies!

"Is sex dirty? Only if it's done right." - Woody Allen

LizzieZ

Mar 15, 2001, 9:39:25 PM3/15/01
>It's fun for some experimentation. However, your lover has to have a healthy
>rack.
>
>But that's me. I love a sweet rack and a little junk in the trunk.
>
>Sorry ladies!

It's nice to know the classy guys in this group have such a way with words,
isn't it? ;-)

Liz

The Wanderer

Mar 15, 2001, 10:58:08 PM3/15/01
I'm aknees to navel man myself, also, Nate. Some bump booty with a loose
caboose makes my train chug. If she's well shaped from the knees to the
navel she dont need nothin' else.

--

"LizzieZ" <liz...@aol.comedy> wrote in message