Stump your current events knowledge (1977)

Nate

Feb 22, 2001, 4:48:36 PM2/22/01
Just bored guys! Here's a quiz. The year is 1977.

What does the slogan "Grits & Fritz" mean?

What soft spoken Australian, in a single week, took command of the New
York Post then executed a financial coup to capture trendy New York
magazine?

What type of arrangement was considered a new practice amongst divorced
couples and thier children? (Legal Term)

Who played "Chicken George" in the TV movie series "Roots"?

What predominantly white suburb of Chicago was faced with a Supreme Court
decision because of race discrimination?

Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" was recorded in what arena in Detriot? Quick!
Bob [in the song] used to smoke how many packs of cigarettes and consume
how many bottles of wine a day? Name the song (Nate's fave BTW) and tell me
who wrote it?

What did GM introduce that made a tall lanky fool like me drive a car more
comfortably?

What AFL-CIO chief met with Jimmy Carter after learning that the
Administration was proposing a much smaller increase in the minimum wage
than labor wanted and the Senate Finance Committee's trimming back of the
labor-endorsed unemployment compensation bill.

What is the name of the director-lyricist that concieved the idea for the
broadway musical "Annie"? What's Annie's dog named?-(hint: my fave person
in the NG - ha, ha!)

What drug was not legalized in the States, yet thousands flocked to Tijuana,
Mexico to try and reap it's benefits? (Sorry, I just had to throw in a
medicine question)

Here's a special sig just for Dawna and her new job:

"One ringy-dingy. Two ringy-dingys. A gracious good afernoon...Have I
reached the party to whom I am speaking? Mr. Vidal, you owe us a balance
of $23.64. When may we expect payment? Pardon? When what freezes over?
...I don't see why you're kicking up such a ruckus when according to our
files your present bank balance, plus stocks, securities and other holdings,
amounts to exactly...Pardon? Priviledged information? Oh! (snort, snort)
Mr. Vidal, oh, that's so cute! No, no, no you're dealing with the telephone
company...We are omnipotent..." -- Lily Tomlin as "Ernestine" the telephone
operator

Endymion9

Feb 22, 2001, 4:59:03 PM2/22/01
"Nate" <anat...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Just bored guys! Here's a quiz. The year is 1977.
>
> What does the slogan "Grits & Fritz" mean?

Carter and Mondale were referred to as Grits and Fritz while running for
president/vice president in 1976.

> What soft spoken Australian, in a single week, took command of the New
> York Post then executed a financial coup to capture trendy New York
> magazine?
>

> What type of arrangement was considered a new practice amongst divorced
> couples and thier children? (Legal Term)

Legal Seperation?

> Who played "Chicken George" in the TV movie series "Roots"?

Ben Vereen

> What predominantly white suburb of Chicago was faced with a Supreme Court
> decision because of race discrimination?
>
> Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" was recorded in what arena in Detriot? Quick!
> Bob [in the song] used to smoke how many packs of cigarettes and consume
> how many bottles of wine a day? Name the song (Nate's fave BTW) and tell
me
> who wrote it?
>
> What did GM introduce that made a tall lanky fool like me drive a car more
> comfortably?
>
> What AFL-CIO chief met with Jimmy Carter after learning that the
> Administration was proposing a much smaller increase in the minimum wage
> than labor wanted and the Senate Finance Committee's trimming back of the
> labor-endorsed unemployment compensation bill.

Hoffa? Can't remember what year he dissappeared.

--
Dennis/Endy
~dancing us from the darkest nights is the rhythm of love powered by the

Nate

Feb 22, 2001, 5:25:42 PM2/22/01
>> What type of arrangement was considered a new practice amongst divorced
>> couples and thier children? (Legal Term)
>Legal Seperation?

Bzzzzzzzt.

_____ custody arrangement

>> What AFL-CIO chief met with Jimmy Carter after learning that the
>> Administration was proposing a much smaller increase in the minimum wage
>> than labor wanted and the Senate Finance Committee's trimming back of the
>> labor-endorsed unemployment compensation bill.
>
>Hoffa? Can't remember what year he dissappeared.

Bzzzzzzzt.

George _______

recsec

Feb 22, 2001, 5:32:39 PM2/22/01

"Nate" <anat...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Just bored guys! Here's a quiz. The year is 1977.
>
> What does the slogan "Grits & Fritz" mean? - Don't know

> What soft spoken Australian, in a single week, took command of the New
> York Post then executed a financial coup to capture trendy New York
> magazine?

Rupert Nurdoch maybe??

> What type of arrangement was considered a new practice amongst divorced
> couples and thier children? (Legal Term)

Parenting?? That's where the couple is the one to actually take care of the
kids instead of the government.

> Who played "Chicken George" in the TV movie series "Roots"?

Ben Vereen

> What predominantly white suburb of Chicago was faced with a Supreme Court
> decision because of race discrimination?

No idea at all!!

> Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" was recorded in what arena in Detriot? Quick!
> Bob [in the song] used to smoke how many packs of cigarettes and consume
> how many bottles of wine a day? Name the song (Nate's fave BTW) and tell
me
> who wrote it?

Loe Louis Arena. 2 packs of cigs & 5 bottles. Don't know the song but it is
probably something I know.

> What did GM introduce that made a tall lanky fool like me drive a car more
> comfortably?

Don't know. I drive trucks. Damn you must have been REAL bored. This is
freaking hard!!!

> What AFL-CIO chief met with Jimmy Carter after learning that the
> Administration was proposing a much smaller increase in the minimum wage
> than labor wanted and the Senate Finance Committee's trimming back of the
> labor-endorsed unemployment compensation bill.

That ones easy. The Meadowlands permenant resident, Jimmy Hoffa.

> What is the name of the director-lyricist that concieved the idea for the
> broadway musical "Annie"? What's Annie's dog named?-(hint: my fave person
> in the NG - ha, ha!)

Well the dog's name is Sandy. On the other hell I don't know, ahhhh Neil
Simon.

> What drug was not legalized in the States, yet thousands flocked to
Tijuana,
> Mexico to try and reap it's benefits? (Sorry, I just had to throw in a
> medicine question)

Spanish Fly. Or weed.

> Here's a special sig just for Dawna and her new job:
>
> "One ringy-dingy. Two ringy-dingys. A gracious good afernoon...Have I
> reached the party to whom I am speaking? Mr. Vidal, you owe us a balance
> of $23.64. When may we expect payment? Pardon? When what freezes over?
> ...I don't see why you're kicking up such a ruckus when according to our
> files your present bank balance, plus stocks, securities and other
holdings,
> amounts to exactly...Pardon? Priviledged information? Oh! (snort, snort)
> Mr. Vidal, oh, that's so cute! No, no, no you're dealing with the
telephone
> company...We are omnipotent..." -- Lily Tomlin as "Ernestine" the
telephone
> operator

Hell I knew this one better than I did the others. Man that was tough. Glad
it's over. I don't think I got more than 2 right.
Billy

LizzieZ

Feb 22, 2001, 5:51:58 PM2/22/01
>> What predominantly white suburb of Chicago was faced with a Supreme Court
>> decision because of race discrimination?
>>
>No idea at all!!

Hmm, being a native, my first guess would be Kenilworth. I know that up until
around that time I wouldn't have been able to buy a house there, being Jewish
and all...

Liz

Nate

Feb 22, 2001, 5:58:34 PM2/22/01
>> What soft spoken Australian, in a single week, took command of the New
>> York Post then executed a financial coup to capture trendy New York
>> magazine?
>>
>Rupert Nurdoch maybe??

Ding! Rupert Murdoch. Were you being funny?

>> What type of arrangement was considered a new practice amongst divorced
>> couples and thier children? (Legal Term)
>Parenting?? That's where the couple is the one to actually take care of the
>kids instead of the government.

Somewhat??? Nice comment though.

>> Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" was recorded in what arena in Detriot? Quick!
>> Bob [in the song] used to smoke how many packs of cigarettes and consume
>> how many bottles of wine a day? Name the song (Nate's fave BTW) and tell
>me
>> who wrote it?
>>
>Loe Louis Arena.

Bzzzzzzt.

2 packs of cigs & 5 bottles.

No guesstimates on this one. I need specifics.

>Don't know the song but it is
>probably something I know.

One more hint:
". . .try to forget the love we once shared. It was the hardest. . ."

>> What did GM introduce that made a tall lanky fool like me drive a car more
>> comfortably?
>Don't know. I drive trucks. Damn you must have been REAL bored. This is
>freaking hard!!!

Yes! I wrote it last night offline on my shift while watching bits and pieces
of the grammys. It was damn near like the super bowl. Nobody was outside.

Nobody getting into auto accidents - no gun shots - no nothing.

>> What AFL-CIO chief met with Jimmy Carter after learning that the
>> Administration was proposing a much smaller increase in the minimum wage
>> than labor wanted and the Senate Finance Committee's trimming back of the
>> labor-endorsed unemployment compensation bill.
>>
>That ones easy. The Meadowlands permenant resident, Jimmy Hoffa.

Bzzzzzzzt.

>> What is the name of the director-lyricist that concieved the idea for the
>> broadway musical "Annie"? What's Annie's dog named?-(hint: my fave person
>> in the NG - ha, ha!)
>>
>Well the dog's name is Sandy. On the other hell I don't know, ahhhh Neil
>Simon.

Ding! one Bzzzzzzt the latter. Liz will get this one.

>> What drug was not legalized in the States, yet thousands flocked to
>Tijuana,
>> Mexico to try and reap it's benefits? (Sorry, I just had to throw in a
>> medicine question)
>>
>Spanish Fly. Or weed.

This drug was actually tested by the FDA and it is not used in an illicit way.

It begins with a L.

>Hell I knew this one better than I did the others. Man that was tough. Glad
>it's over. I don't think I got more than 2 right.

Billy you always score bonus points just for trying and the comments are great
as well!!!!

Nate

Feb 22, 2001, 6:07:27 PM2/22/01
>Hmm, being a native, my first guess would be Kenilworth. I know that up
>until
>around that time I wouldn't have been able to buy a house there, being Jewish
>and all...

You too? That's wonderful!

The answer which I'll have to give away is Arlington Heights.

Be sure to let me know when the weather is just right. I've just GOT to visit.
I've never been to a Cub's game and I'd love to visit all my Chi-town buddies.

Did you try the "Annie" question?

LizzieZ

Feb 22, 2001, 6:32:45 PM2/22/01
>>> What is the name of the director-lyricist that concieved the idea for the
>>> broadway musical "Annie"? What's Annie's dog named?-(hint: my fave person
>>> in the NG - ha, ha!)
>>>
>>Well the dog's name is Sandy. On the other hell I don't know, ahhhh Neil
>>Simon.
>
>Ding! one Bzzzzzzt the latter. Liz will get this one.

Uh-oh, now the pressure's on!! LOL It was Martin Charnin, though - he wrote
the lyrics, with Charles Strouse writing the music, and Thomas Meehan on the
book. Extra trivia: did you know he was the original Big Deal in "West Side
Story?" Multi-talented!

Liz

Dixon Hayes

Feb 22, 2001, 6:50:26 PM2/22/01
>What does the slogan "Grits & Fritz" mean?

Campaign slogan for Jimmy Carter and Walter Mondale

>What soft spoken Australian, in a single week, took command of the New
>York Post then executed a financial coup to capture trendy New York
>magazine?

My boss (and Kelly's ex-boss), Rupert Murdoch

>What type of arrangement was considered a new practice amongst divorced
>couples and thier children? (Legal Term)

"joint custody"

>Who played "Chicken George" in the TV movie series "Roots"?

Ben Vereen

>What predominantly white suburb of Chicago was faced with a Supreme Court
>decision because of race discrimination?

don't remember...will guess Aurora

>Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" was recorded in what arena in Detriot? Quick!

dunno..

>Bob [in the song] used to smoke how many packs of cigarettes and consume
>how many bottles of wine a day? Name the song (Nate's fave BTW) and tell me
>who wrote it?

five packs of cigarettes a day, four to five bottles of wine

>What did GM introduce that made a tall lanky fool like me drive a car more
>comfortably?

headrests?

>What AFL-CIO chief met with Jimmy Carter after learning that the
>Administration was proposing a much smaller increase in the minimum wage
>than labor wanted and the Senate Finance Committee's trimming back of the
>labor-endorsed unemployment compensation bill.

George Meany?

>What is the name of the director-lyricist that concieved the idea for the
>broadway musical "Annie"? What's Annie's dog named?-(hint: my fave person
>in the NG - ha, ha!)

Andrew Lloyd Webber?; Sandy

>What drug was not legalized in the States, yet thousands flocked to Tijuana,
>Mexico to try and reap it's benefits? (Sorry, I just had to throw in a
>medicine question)

Laetril? I think Alabama Governor George Wallace gave it a shot

Dixon
=============
"Let's dance, Maude...you're starting to get to me!"
--Barney Fife

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

Dixon Hayes

Feb 22, 2001, 6:53:06 PM2/22/01
Oh yeah...the Seger song was "Trying to Live My Life Without You."

Oriole Adams

Feb 22, 2001, 7:25:44 PM2/22/01
>Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" was recorded in what arena in Detriot? Quick!

Cobo Hall, no? The Joe wasn't yet built in 1977, I don't think.

>What did GM introduce that made a tall lanky fool like me drive a car more
>comfortably?

Power seats, perhaps?

>What AFL-CIO chief met with Jimmy Carter after learning that the
>Administration was proposing a much smaller increase in the minimum wage
>than labor wanted and the Senate Finance Committee's trimming back of the
>labor-endorsed unemployment compensation bill.

George Meany?

Tiny Dancer

Feb 22, 2001, 8:57:00 PM2/22/01
And so the word went out from anat...@aol.com (Nate):

After Billy <rec...@flash.net> mentioned:

>>Damn you must have been REAL bored. This is freaking hard!!!
>
>Yes! I wrote it last night offline on my shift while watching bits and pieces
>of the grammys. It was damn near like the super bowl. Nobody was outside.
>Nobody getting into auto accidents - no gun shots - no nothing.

Wow, the power of music in (non)action indeed! I figured you must have had
some time on your hands, Nate, this one was WH-AY too hard for humans!
I didn't bother posting my pathetic answers, I only got three of 'em :-P Good
to see you posting anyway, doc!

Cheers,

TD

She moved so well 'cause she was a dancer
She went sliding through my questions
Gliding 'round the answers
from Harry Chapin's "Could You Put Your Light On, Please"

For a good time call
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html

Tiny Dancer's X-Files Episode Guide
http://www.insanity.com.au/td/

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://i.am/tinyd

Tiny Dancer

Feb 22, 2001, 8:57:01 PM2/22/01
And so the word went out from liz...@aol.comedy (LizzieZ):

>> What is the name of the director-lyricist that concieved the idea for the
>> broadway musical "Annie"?
>

>It was Martin Charnin, though - he wrote the lyrics, with Charles Strouse writing
>the music, and Thomas Meehan on the book.

Why, of course! *slaps her forehead* Good old Marty, Charlie and Tommy.
I'm sorry, am I the only one that has NO clue who these people are?! I like
musicals, I'm a musical gal, but none of these names would have come to
me in a million years! You're darn goooood, Liz :-)

>Extra trivia: did you know he was the original Big Deal in "West Side Story?"
>Multi-talented!

Oh, please, now you're just rubbing our faces in it ;-)

Cheers,

TD

Now that I've passed your test
How can I prove to you, baby
I'll never let you down
from Cat Stevens' "Two Fine People"

Nate

Feb 22, 2001, 9:37:45 PM2/22/01
>Oh yeah...the Seger song was "Trying to Live My Life Without You."

Ding, ding, ding
"It's too late to hit the hay, but it's too early to eat it" - Mr. Ed

Nate

Feb 22, 2001, 9:37:12 PM2/22/01
>>What does the slogan "Grits & Fritz" mean?
>
>Campaign slogan for Jimmy Carter and Walter Mondale

Ding, ding, ding!

>>What soft spoken Australian, in a single week, took command of the New
>>York Post then executed a financial coup to capture trendy New York
>>magazine?
>
>My boss (and Kelly's ex-boss), Rupert Murdoch

Ding, ding, ding

>>What type of arrangement was considered a new practice amongst divorced
>>couples and thier children? (Legal Term)
>
>"joint custody"

Ding, ding, ding

>>Who played "Chicken George" in the TV movie series "Roots"?
>
>Ben Vereen

Ding, ding, ding

>>What predominantly white suburb of Chicago was faced with a Supreme Court
>>decision because of race discrimination?
>
>don't remember...will guess Aurora

Bzzzzzt. That's a toughie. Arlington Heights

>>Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" was recorded in what arena in Detriot?

Cobo arena

>>Bob [in the song] used to smoke how many packs of cigarettes and consume
>>how many bottles of wine a day? Name the song (Nate's fave BTW) and tell me
>>who wrote it?
>
>five packs of cigarettes a day, four to five bottles of wine

Ding, ding, ding

>>What did GM introduce that made a tall lanky fool like me drive a car more
>>comfortably?

>headrests?

Bzzzzzzzt. Tilt steering wheel

>>What AFL-CIO chief met with Jimmy Carter after learning that the
>>Administration was proposing a much smaller increase in the minimum wage
>>than labor wanted and the Senate Finance Committee's trimming back of the
>>labor-endorsed unemployment compensation bill.
>
>George Meany?

Ding, ding, ding

>>What is the name of the director-lyricist that concieved the idea for the
>>broadway musical "Annie"? What's Annie's dog named?-(hint: my fave person
>>in the NG - ha, ha!)
>
>Andrew Lloyd Webber?; Sandy

Bzzzzzzt and ding. Sandy is correct

>>What drug was not legalized in the States, yet thousands flocked to Tijuana,
>>Mexico to try and reap it's benefits? (Sorry, I just had to throw in a
>>medicine question)
>
>Laetril? I think Alabama Governor George Wallace gave it a shot

Ding, ding, ding and extra points on Wallace. I knew you'd get it!!!!

Dixon! You did great!

Nate

Feb 22, 2001, 9:41:09 PM2/22/01
>Cobo Hall, no? The Joe wasn't yet built in 1977, I don't think.

Ding, ding, ding on Cobo>>What did GM introduce that made a tall lanky fool

like me drive a car more
>>comfortably?
>
>Power seats, perhaps?

Bzzzzt. Tilt steering wheel

>>What AFL-CIO chief met with Jimmy Carter after learning that the
>>Administration was proposing a much smaller increase in the minimum wage
>>than labor wanted and the Senate Finance Committee's trimming back of the
>>labor-endorsed unemployment compensation bill.
>
>George Meany?

Ding, ding, ding

Lenny Smith

Feb 22, 2001, 9:42:46 PM2/22/01

Nate wrote in message <20010222164836...@ng-fw1.aol.com>...

>Just bored guys! Here's a quiz. The year is 1977.

Hoo boy... I'm really suckin' at this one... but here's a few...

>What does the slogan "Grits & Fritz" mean?

Carter/Mondale

>What soft spoken Australian, in a single week, took command of the New
>York Post then executed a financial coup to capture trendy New York
>magazine?

Rupert Murdoch (he's soft-spoken?)

>What type of arrangement was considered a new practice amongst divorced
>couples and thier children? (Legal Term)

Shared Custody

>Who played "Chicken George" in the TV movie series "Roots"?

Ben Vereen

>What predominantly white suburb of Chicago was faced with a Supreme Court
>decision because of race discrimination?
>
>Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" was recorded in what arena in Detriot? Quick!
>Bob [in the song] used to smoke how many packs of cigarettes and consume
>how many bottles of wine a day? Name the song (Nate's fave BTW) and tell
me
>who wrote it?
>
>What did GM introduce that made a tall lanky fool like me drive a car more
>comfortably?
>
>What AFL-CIO chief met with Jimmy Carter after learning that the
>Administration was proposing a much smaller increase in the minimum wage
>than labor wanted and the Senate Finance Committee's trimming back of the
>labor-endorsed unemployment compensation bill.
>
>What is the name of the director-lyricist that concieved the idea for the
>broadway musical "Annie"?

Don't remember (or don't want to, lol)

>What's Annie's dog named?-(hint: my fave person
>in the NG - ha, ha!)

Sandy

>What drug was not legalized in the States, yet thousands flocked to
Tijuana,
>Mexico to try and reap it's benefits? (Sorry, I just had to throw in a
>medicine question)

LOLOLOL... Not sure which drug you're looking for, but you realize that
this would apply to just about ALL drugs??? OK, I'll go with "roofies,"
LOL!

>Here's a special sig just for Dawna and her new job:
>
>"One ringy-dingy. Two ringy-dingys. A gracious good afernoon...Have I
>reached the party to whom I am speaking? Mr. Vidal, you owe us a balance
>of $23.64. When may we expect payment? Pardon? When what freezes over?
>...I don't see why you're kicking up such a ruckus when according to our
>files your present bank balance, plus stocks, securities and other
holdings,
>amounts to exactly...Pardon? Priviledged information? Oh! (snort, snort)
>Mr. Vidal, oh, that's so cute! No, no, no you're dealing with the
telephone
>company...We are omnipotent..." -- Lily Tomlin as "Ernestine" the telephone
>operator

Grrrrreat sig, by the way, Nate!

Lenny

Lenny Smith

Feb 22, 2001, 9:43:46 PM2/22/01

recsec wrote in message ...

>> What drug was not legalized in the States, yet thousands flocked to
>Tijuana,
>> Mexico to try and reap it's benefits? (Sorry, I just had to throw in a
>> medicine question)
>>
>Spanish Fly. Or weed.

Good answer, hehehe.

Lenny

Nate

Feb 22, 2001, 9:45:53 PM2/22/01

Ding, ding, ding and a ring a ling ding dong ding!!!!!

Liz!!! Kickin' butt and taken names!!!!

Nate

Feb 22, 2001, 9:51:58 PM2/22/01
>>> What is the name of the director-lyricist that concieved the idea for the
>>> broadway musical "Annie"?
>>
>>It was Martin Charnin, though - he wrote the lyrics, with Charles Strouse
>writing
>>the music, and Thomas Meehan on the book.
>
>Why, of course! *slaps her forehead* Good old Marty, Charlie and Tommy.
>I'm sorry, am I the only one that has NO clue who these people are?! I like
>musicals, I'm a musical gal, but none of these names would have come to
>me in a million years! You're darn goooood, Liz :-)
>
>>Extra trivia: did you know he was the original Big Deal in "West Side
>Story?"
>>Multi-talented!
>
>Oh, please, now you're just rubbing our faces in it ;-)

She's the real deal TD!!! I tried to stump her in my "Stump the Musicals"
thread and she ended up stumping me.

I was thinking about her when I saw "Will and Grace" tonight. They were joking
about "Suessical Musical (sp?)". It was funny - you had to be there.

You, me, and Liz have GOT to check out a show sometime. I could definantly use
her technical expertise on such things.

MartiDave

Feb 22, 2001, 11:47:14 PM2/22/01
Without checking others Here I go

>What does the slogan "Grits & Fritz" mean?
Mondale and Carter

>What soft spoken Australian, in a single week, took command of the New
>York Post then executed a financial coup to capture trendy New York
>magazine?
Rupert Murdoch

>What type of arrangement was considered a new practice amongst divorced
>couples and thier children? (Legal Term)
Palimony (Lee Marvin and Michelle Triola)

>Who played "Chicken George" in the TV movie series "Roots"?
Ben Vereen

>What predominantly white suburb of Chicago was faced with a Supreme Court
>decision because of race discrimination?
Skokie

>Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" was recorded in what arena in Detriot? Quick!
Cobo Arena

>Bob [in the song] used to smoke how many packs of cigarettes and consume
>how many bottles of wine a day? Name the song (Nate's fave BTW) and tell me
>who wrote it?
Turn the Page

>What did GM introduce that made a tall lanky fool like me drive a car more
>comfortably?
Pacer

>What AFL-CIO chief met with Jimmy Carter after learning that the
>Administration was proposing a much smaller increase in the minimum wage
>than labor wanted and the Senate Finance Committee's trimming back of the
>labor-endorsed unemployment compensation bill.
Hoffa

>What is the name of the director-lyricist that concieved the idea for the
>broadway musical "Annie"? What's Annie's dog named?-(hint: my fave person
>in the NG - ha, ha!)
Sandy

>What drug was not legalized in the States, yet thousands flocked to Tijuana,
>Mexico to try and reap it's benefits? (Sorry, I just had to throw in a
>medicine question)
???
Dave Spiegel

NJROB65

Feb 23, 2001, 1:31:43 AM2/23/01
Just bored guys! Here's a quiz. The year is 1977.

<<What does the slogan "Grits & Fritz" mean?>>

Jimmy Carter and Walter Mondale, the prsident and vice president at the time.

<<What soft spoken Australian, in a single week, took command of the New
York Post then executed a financial coup to capture trendy New York
magazine?>>

Rupert Murdoch, is he really soft spoken?

<<What type of arrangement was considered a new practice amongst divorced
couples and thier children? (Legal Term)>>

Joint custody.

<<Who played "Chicken George" in the TV movie series "Roots"?>>

Ben Vereen.

<<What predominantly white suburb of Chicago was faced with a Supreme Court
decision because of race discrimination?>>

Cicero?

<<Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" was recorded in what arena in Detriot? Quick!>>

Cobo Hall.

<<Bob [in the song] used to smoke how many packs of cigarettes and consume
how many bottles of wine a day? Name the song (Nate's fave BTW) and tell me
who wrote it?>>

4 and 3, dont really remember. "Trying to Live My Life Without You". Minor
note, the song does note appear on Live Bullet, it's on Seger's other live
album Nine Tonight(1981).The author was Eugene Williams.

<<What did GM introduce that made a tall lanky fool like me drive a car more
comfortably?>>

Headrests?

<<What AFL-CIO chief met with Jimmy Carter after learning that the
Administration was proposing a much smaller increase in the minimum wage
than labor wanted and the Senate Finance Committee's trimming back of the
labor-endorsed unemployment compensation bill.>>

George Meaney.

<<
What is the name of the director-lyricist that concieved the idea for the
broadway musical "Annie"? What's Annie's dog named?-(hint: my fave person
in the NG - ha, ha!)>>

Andrew Lloyd Webber? Sandy?

<<What drug was not legalized in the States, yet thousands flocked to Tijuana,
Mexico to try and reap it's benefits? (Sorry, I just had to throw in a
medicine question)>>

Laetril(Sp?), the alleged anti-cancer drug, made from a derivitive of peach
pits,IIRC.

The Wanderer

Feb 23, 2001, 2:08:25 AM2/23/01
"Nate" <anat...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Just bored guys! Here's a quiz. The year is 1977.

> What does the slogan "Grits & Fritz" mean?

Jimmy Carter And Walter "Fritz" Mondale

> What soft spoken Australian, in a single week, took command of the New
> York Post then executed a financial coup to capture trendy New York
> magazine?

Rupert Murdoch

> What type of arrangement was considered a new practice amongst divorced
> couples and thier children? (Legal Term)

Joint Custody (which used to get you time in the slammer:"joint" custody)

> Who played "Chicken George" in the TV movie series "Roots"?

Ben Vereen

> What predominantly white suburb of Chicago was faced with a Supreme Court
> decision because of race discrimination?

Fucked if I know!

> Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" was recorded in what arena in Detriot? Quick!
> Bob [in the song] used to smoke how many packs of cigarettes and consume
> how many bottles of wine a day? Name the song (Nate's fave BTW) and tell
me
> who wrote it?

No idea, never a Seeger fan.

> What did GM introduce that made a tall lanky fool like me drive a car more
> comfortably?

More leg room?

> What AFL-CIO chief met with Jimmy Carter after learning that the
> Administration was proposing a much smaller increase in the minimum wage
> than labor wanted and the Senate Finance Committee's trimming back of the
> labor-endorsed unemployment compensation bill.

George Meaney?

> What is the name of the director-lyricist that concieved the idea for the
> broadway musical "Annie"? What's Annie's dog named?-(hint: my fave person
> in the NG - ha, ha!)

? Sandy

> What drug was not legalized in the States, yet thousands flocked to
Tijuana,
> Mexico to try and reap it's benefits? (Sorry, I just had to throw in a
> medicine question)

Laetrille

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

Paul

Feb 23, 2001, 8:40:09 PM2/23/01
No one's answering? OK, I will. I was there...

Nate <anat...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Just bored guys! Here's a quiz. The year is 1977.
>
> What does the slogan "Grits & Fritz" mean?

Nicknames for Jimmy Carter and Walter Mondale, respectively.

> What soft spoken Australian, in a single week, took command of the New
> York Post then executed a financial coup to capture trendy New York
> magazine?

Rupert Murdoch

> What type of arrangement was considered a new practice amongst divorced
> couples and thier children? (Legal Term)

Shared custody

> Who played "Chicken George" in the TV movie series "Roots"?

I was going to say LeVar Burton, but I think that's wrong.

> What predominantly white suburb of Chicago was faced with a Supreme Court
> decision because of race discrimination?

Skokie

> Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" was recorded in what arena in Detriot? Quick!

Cobo

> Bob [in the song] used to smoke how many packs of cigarettes and consume
> how many bottles of wine a day? Name the song (Nate's fave BTW) and tell
me
> who wrote it?

Ramblin' Gamblin' Man?

> What did GM introduce that made a tall lanky fool like me drive a car more
> comfortably?

Reclining seats? Sunroof? Telescoping steering wheel?

> What AFL-CIO chief met with Jimmy Carter after learning that the
> Administration was proposing a much smaller increase in the minimum wage
> than labor wanted and the Senate Finance Committee's trimming back of the
> labor-endorsed unemployment compensation bill.

Lane Kirkland

> What is the name of the director-lyricist that concieved the idea for the
> broadway musical "Annie"? What's Annie's dog named?-(hint: my fave person
> in the NG - ha, ha!)

Sorry, not a Broadway kind of guy.

> What drug was not legalized in the States, yet thousands flocked to
Tijuana,
> Mexico to try and reap it's benefits? (Sorry, I just had to throw in a
> medicine question)

Laetrile