70s Oldies Radio

thomas conroy

Jan 17, 1995, 10:03:27 AM1/17/95
Here in Boston, we now have a 70s "oldies" station. I tuned in for the first
time only yesterday and although they seem to focus on pretty mainstream stuff
(i.e., rock hard, soft and in-between - Kansas, Boston, Bad Co., James Taylor,
etc.), I did catch at least one neat piece of bubblegum - Love Grows Where My
RoseMary Goes (covered, incidentally, by the great Replacements). Anyway, I
knew that there were 70s bars, but I am wondering if 70s oldies radio is
becoming a nation wide trend? Anyone else have it in their municipality?

Dave Stallard

Jan 17, 1995, 9:29:36 AM1/17/95

Let's not forget Barry Scott's "Lost 45s" show Sunday at 7 pm on MIX
98.7 (or whatever the hell it is). The guy is tremendous: encylopedic
knowledge of 70s pop, vast record collection, and an engaging
personality. If he went national, which he could IMHO, I'd feel sorry
for Boston, but happy for him and for the US at large.

Dave

Ted Fry

Jan 17, 1995, 5:33:48 PM1/17/95
In article <3fgm80$a...@news.bu.edu>, con...@bu.edu (thomas conroy) wrote:

> Anyway, I
> knew that there were 70s bars, but I am wondering if 70s oldies radio is
> becoming a nation wide trend? Anyone else have it in their municipality?

Sure is. Here in Philadelphia, a local "elevator music" station which had
nearly vanished from radar suddenly switched to an all-'70s format and
rocketed up to #3 in this exceedingly competitive market in a matter of
weeks. For the interested, it's WMGK - 102.9 FM.

They're reasonably enlightened about the playlist, too -- a listenable
balance of AOR, obscure One-Hit Wonders (the '70s had more of those than
any other decade), and -- inevitably -- disco.

So far, they've only made one inexcusable mistake: playing disco versions
of AOR hits (imagine such songs as "Tequila Sunrise," "Stairway to Heaven"
and "Lucky Man" done by anonymous studio musicians to a 4/4 beat with
synthesizers, brass, tambourines, screeching choruses and canned hand
claps. Enough to make you retch).

What I *do* like, however, is their evening lineup: playing the hits from
16, 17, 18, etc. years ago, in order. They intersperse the nightly Hit
Parade with 10-second news clips from the same years, too. Sometimes,
they also do retrospectives of certain '70s groups -- again, in order of
release. Makes it easy to imagine I'm back in high school, cruising along
in my '74 Monte Carlo.

Opinions are mine, not Penn's.

"Ultimately it is the yearning to believe that anyone can be brought up to college level that has brought colleges down to everyone's level."
-William A. Henry, _In Defense of Elitism_.

Jay Stewart

Jan 17, 1995, 10:46:54 PM1/17/95
stal...@bbn.com (Dave Stallard) writes:

> In article <3fgm80$a...@news.bu.edu> con...@bu.edu (thomas conroy) writes:
>
> Here in Boston, we now have a 70s "oldies" station. I tuned in for the fir

> time only yesterday and although they seem to focus on pretty mainstream s

> (i.e., rock hard, soft and in-between - Kansas, Boston, Bad Co., James Tay

> etc.), I did catch at least one neat piece of bubblegum - Love Grows Where

> RoseMary Goes (covered, incidentally, by the great Replacements). Anyway,

> knew that there were 70s bars, but I am wondering if 70s oldies radio is
> becoming a nation wide trend? Anyone else have it in their municipality?
>
> Let's not forget Barry Scott's "Lost 45s" show Sunday at 7 pm on MIX
> 98.7 (or whatever the hell it is). The guy is tremendous: encylopedic
> knowledge of 70s pop, vast record collection, and an engaging
> personality. If he went national, which he could IMHO, I'd feel sorry
> for Boston, but happy for him and for the US at large.
>
> Dave

All Seventies, all Day Long, KJR Radio in Seattle has opened a FM station
and plays their old 70's format again. Kinda makes you wonder.

Jay

----------
co...@roadhaus.wa.com (Jay Stewart)
Roadhouse of Doom BBS - 360/705-0765

Dawn M Kilbourn

Jan 18, 1995, 6:29:50 PM1/18/95
In Chicago there is WYSY-107.9 that plays '70s all the time. They play
the hard stuff, the soft stuff and disco. On Saturday nights they have a
dance party where they play all disco type music and on Sunday they have
class reunion Sunday where they focus on a specific year.
-Dawn

Jennifer Nolan

Jan 24, 1995, 9:48:37 AM1/24/95

Thanks to everyone who helped out! I thank you, Joanne thanks
you, Karen thanks you... :)

BTW, for anyone who hasn't seen the answer yet, Andy Kim was
the singer.

-- Jen
--
for best results machine wash cold, tumble dry low. do not bleach, etc, etc.
for not-so-best results drag behind car through puddles and dry on roof rack.

Edward Fuller

Jan 28, 1995, 5:14:01 AM1/28/95
In San Francisco we have a '70s station but they've got it all wrong. It's
like all Eagles, all the time. If you're really lucky you'll get the
extended version of Heart's "Magic Man." No punk, no funk, no progressivo,
no disco. No fun. :(

They have a huge billboard downtown that proudly announces "No Elvis, Just
Elton"... But Elvis did his best stuff in the '70s!!!

--
edfu...@sirius.com
Edward Fuller

Professor Pan

Feb 5, 1995, 12:08:53 AM2/5/95
(Edward Fuller) wrote:

> In San Francisco we have a '70s station but they've got it all wrong. It's
> like all Eagles, all the time. If you're really lucky you'll get the
> extended version of Heart's "Magic Man." No punk, no funk, no progressivo,
> no disco. No fun. :(

Baltimore's the same. It seems the corporate vision of the 70s is a very
*white* one. A 70s without "Flashlight" is unthinkable.

I submit that the corporate monolith that's creating these white-bread
suburbanite easy listening 70s nostalgia stations is headed by the one and
only Sir Nose D'VoidofFunk, putrified purveyor of the Placebo Syndrome and
king of fake funk who drives humans into a perpetual do-loop or deep
snooze.

from the Mothership,

PP

thomas conroy

Feb 5, 1995, 4:13:28 PM2/5/95
Edward Fuller (edfu...@sirius.com) wrote:
: In San Francisco we have a '70s station but they've got it all wrong. It's

: like all Eagles, all the time. If you're really lucky you'll get the
: extended version of Heart's "Magic Man." No punk, no funk, no progressivo,
: no disco. No fun. :(

I've basically stopped listening to the Boston station (Eagle 97 FM) for
essentially the same reasons. Who gives a shit about James Taylor and lame
bands like Styx and Kansas - which seem to be the mainstay of what they play.

Logan Van Tassell

Feb 5, 1995, 4:55:23 PM2/5/95

I concur. This post is coming from the Washington D.C. area. We have
WARW which changed its format in November of 1993. They still advertise
theirselves as "the new Arrow 94.7". Go figure. Well, they started out
playing somethings you would not normally hear on the radio. I turned
my head when I heard Bob Welch's Sentimental Lady for the first time in
fourteen years. Since then, the local Classic Rock station changed
format to that of jazz. Arrow has become more focused on Classic Rock of
the Seventies with some Sixties and some "Early Eighties". Bruce
Springstein's Tunnel of Love came out in August of 1987 so I guess 1987
is also early eighties. Again, go figure. But this so far is nothing.
The grande finale is this: I used to listen to this station at work
everyday. Everday I would hear at least 8 Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks
songs, at least 8 CCR songs, and at least 8 Crosby Stills Nash and or
Neil Young songs. In an eight hour period this is twenty four songs,
roughly one every twenty minutes, over and over and over and over again.
They also have other songs they play and play and play and play.
We hear the same songs every day and it is growing very
tiresome. Granted, when you are playing music from an era that is
basically not creating new songs, there is a finite number of songs, but
geeze there were more songs out there than that. They could do
themselves a favor by purchasing some of the Rhino 70s Have a nice day
CDs and playing some of the material off of them, otherwise they are
playing the same songs everyday. There are a lot of songs that could
see air play instead of playing the some old songs over and over and
over.... Why can't these people seem to understand this and not have to
change format every four years to get a higher share of the
demographics?

Logan
Washington, D.C.

MERCER CHRISTOPHER ALAN

Feb 5, 1995, 6:36:01 PM2/5/95
In article <profpan-0502...@raindrop.charm.net> pro...@charm.net (Professor Pan) writes:
>From: pro...@charm.net (Professor Pan)
>Subject: Re: 70s Oldies Radio
>Date: 5 Feb 1995 05:08:53 GMT

Finally someone with an appreciation for real funk. The only place
I have ever heard any real funk from the seventies (not some sampled or
modern stuff) is on a collage hip-hop show. It's pretty sad that
Parliament, gap band, and Kool and the gang (remember jungle music)
are being forgotten. I'm a huge fan, and I was only born in '76. C'mon
funkateers, the mothership has returned, get the funk out your ass and
groove cats.
PeAcE-LOCO

_____
/ / ____________
/ / / _______/
__________/ /_________/ /____________________
/ / / _____/___ / _________ /
/ / / / _____ // / _____ / /
/ / /____/__//_ /// / / / / /
/_________/ /_/ //__/_/____/ /________/
/______________/ /________/-/ /
/_________/ /_________/

------------------------------------------------peace y'all------------------

vmc...@ibm.net

Feb 5, 1995, 9:56:42 PM2/5/95
In <3h3f1p$2...@news.bu.edu>, con...@bu.edu (thomas conroy) writes:
>Edward Fuller (edfu...@sirius.com) wrote:
>: In San Francisco we have a '70s station but they've got it all wrong.
>
>I've basically stopped listening to the Boston station (Eagle 97 FM) for
>essentially the same reasons.

Here in Madison, WI we have a relatively new '70's station. I happen
to think it is acceptable but I know several people who say that they
don't listen because they play the same few songs over and over.

I do wish they would play more disco. When the station was getting
ready to change formats, they made a big deal of playing snippets of
songs that they promised never to play on the new station...disco stuff
mostly.

Sigh....At least one local station plays a few disco songs each Friday
morning to lift my spirits for the last day of the work week.

Vicki McKay
vmc...@ibm.net