Athletes in the 70's

1 view

MartiDave

Mar 3, 2001, 8:13:05 PM3/3/01
I am not sure if we have covered this ground yet, but I have a question.
Besides I have to get my posting stats up. Who were the athletes in the 70's
who had the most impact on you. It could be anyone from a local star to a
major international celeb.
Foe me there were a few. First was Pele. He opened up a whole new world for
me. The man was a magician. I remember doing to Randall's Island to see his
debut with the Cosmos, what an incredible player.
Second was Tom Seaver. My favorite player on my favorite team. When the Mets
traded him in 77, I cried!
Third Billy Jean King/Chris Everet(sp). I was raised in a chauvinistic house.
These two ladies showed me that women could be great athletes and engage in
heated competition.
Fourth Dave Wottle 1972 800m Olympic Gold Medalist. Ran from behind, never
gave up.
Fifth, OJ Simpson, the athlete, not the guy as he is now. No one was smoother.
Sixth, Joe Namath. Commanded attention no matter what he was doing.

There is my list. My NY City bias is pretty clear.
Dave Spiegel

Dixon Hayes

Mar 3, 2001, 9:00:53 PM3/3/01
Hank Aaron of the Atlanta Braves, who broke Babe Ruth's homerun record by
hitting #715...

Pete Rose of the Reds, who was on a hitting streak of his own before seeing it
end against the Braves, and delivering a live, obscenity-filled news conference
afterward...

NASCAR drivers Bobby Allison and David Pearson...

Former Alabama Quarterback Kenny Stabler...not to mention another Crimson Tide
alumnus, Broadway Joe Namath...

Wilt "the Stilt" Chamberlain...

...and the greatest "sideshow" athlete of the era, Evel Kneivel...

Dixon
=============
"Now let's get THAT vehicle OUTTA here!!"
--Barney Fife

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

MartiDave

Mar 3, 2001, 9:20:05 PM3/3/01
In article <20010303210053...@ng-cr1.aol.com>,
dixon...@aol.comspamless (Dixon Hayes) writes:

>Hank Aaron of the Atlanta Braves, who broke Babe Ruth's homerun record by
>hitting #715...

I had forgotten Hank Aaron. I watched the game he broke the record. He was a
good guy all around as well. My best recollection of him includes his absolute
saint like patience with interviewers who asked really dumb questions.

Dave Spiegel

Doug

Mar 3, 2001, 9:06:03 PM3/3/01
The athlete who made the biggest impact on me was Pete Rose.
Here was a guy who wasn't gifted with the best baseball skills but he took
what he had and pushed it to the limit.I see lots of athletes today who have
tremendous talent but they lack the drive to achieve their full potential.

While not an athlete Bob Knight also made a great impression on me.He has
the ability to bring out the best in his players,although his methods are
obviously are not embraced by all.He took the '76 team from pre-season
nobodies to the only undefeated NCAA basketball team in history.

Another would be Reggie Jackson.I kind of so-so followed his career after
watching him in the '71 All Star game,then after his performance in the '77
World Series.......WOW! I was greatly impressed by him.

Rick Barry also seemed to mesmerize me.It was his unorthodox method of
underhanded free throw shooting that hooked me and I was a Golden State fan
from that point on.

And who wasn't impressed by Broadway Joe,the epitome of coolness in the
early 70's.I even requested (and received) a Joe Namath football uniform for
Christmas in '70 and boy did I think I was the shit!!!

-Doug

Beatlfilms

Mar 3, 2001, 10:52:27 PM3/3/01
Dixon Hayes said:

>...and the greatest "sideshow" athlete of the era, Evel Kneivel...

I'd have to agree there! I remember really looking forward to Evel's stunts
back then. I also quite liked the Harlem Globetrotters. They were on ABC's Wild
World Of Sports a lot. Who the heck was that poor skier they always showed
wiping out in the opening as the voice-over said "The agony of defeat"?

Otherwise I wasn't a huge sports nut at the time. However, I did root for the
John Madden coached/Kenny Stabler anchored Oakland Raiders.

Shawn

Jeff Troutman

Mar 4, 2001, 12:12:36 AM3/4/01
"MartiDave" <jun...@aol.combos> wrote:
> I am not sure if we have covered this ground yet, but I have a question.
> Besides I have to get my posting stats up. Who were the athletes in the
70's
> who had the most impact on you. It could be anyone from a local star to a
> major international celeb.

The Cincinnati Reds' Big Red Machine: Bench, Rose, Perez, Morgan, etc. The
first time a team of any sport held my attention. I was young, and it was
so easy to get caught up in this thing that had the "grownups" all excited.

Jeff Troutman

The Wanderer

Mar 4, 2001, 2:34:53 AM3/4/01
I gotta go OT on this. Since I'm 10 years older than you'se guys. It was the
Yankees in the early '60s Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Elston Howard, Bobby
Richardson, Yogi Berra, Joe Pepitone, Whitey Ford etc.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis
"Jeff Troutman" <yourhe...@starpower.net> wrote in message

The Wanderer

Mar 4, 2001, 2:34:52 AM3/4/01
"Beatlfilms" <beatl...@aol.com> wrote in message

that poor skier they always showed
> wiping out in the opening as the voice-over said "The agony of defeat"?

I always wonder after that pounding he took...how did they get him to do it
again the next week?

Endymion9

Mar 4, 2001, 8:51:17 AM3/4/01
Hank Aaron, Phil Neikro, Ralph Garr and Dusty Baker of the Braves
Pete Maravich, Lou Hudson, Tree Rollins and John Drew of the Hawks
Chris Evert-Lloyd, I could watch her play all day...sigh <grin>
Roger Staubach, Bob Lily, LeeRoy Jordan, Bob Hayes of the Cowboys
Tommy Nobis of the Falcons
Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West of the Lakers
Tony Dorsett of Pittsburgh in college and Dallas in the pros
Pete Rose taught me a hated competitor could still earn respect by his
opponents.
Johnny Miller and Lee Trevino (Just wanted someone to give Nickalaus a run
for his money)

--
Dennis/Endy
~dancing us from the darkest nights is the rhythm of love powered by the

CARTRA56

Mar 4, 2001, 10:20:03 AM3/4/01
Well, for purely all the wrong reasons...
It the late 60's early 70's..can't remember just when. My girlfriend and I had
the biggest crushes on Derek Sanderson and Bobby Orr of the Boston Bruins
Hockey team. As far as thier ability to play...with us it was really
considered. They were just two really cute guys. We used to put on the hockey
games and turn the sound off and listen to Green Onions and watch them skate.
Ah, the good old days. Life was so inocent then!
Me,
Carla

David Ballarotto

Mar 4, 2001, 12:29:50 PM3/4/01
Aw, man! Isn't anyone going to list the greatest football team of the
1970s?

Terry Bradshaw
Mean Joe Greene
Lynn Swann
Franco Harris
Jack Ham
L. C. Greenwood
Rocky Bleier

Where I grew up, you didn't dare go to school unless you had an article of
clothing with one of the above on it.

#1 Tiger Fan

Mar 4, 2001, 12:56:21 PM3/4/01
On 04 Mar 2001 01:13:05 GMT, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
induhvidual wrote:

>I am not sure if we have covered this ground yet, but I have a question.
>Besides I have to get my posting stats up. Who were the athletes in the 70's
>who had the most impact on you. It could be anyone from a local star to a
>major international celeb.

Since I was a wrestler and baseball player I worshipped Dan Gable and
was a big fan of Mickey Lolich and the late Aurelio Rodriguez.

I also liked Doctor J in the late 70s.

Chris Taylor was a guy I thought never got the proper kind of credit
for what he did. Nowadays he wouldn't even be allowed to wrestle.

#1 Tiger Fan
**************

"belive me I am nothing to bragg about so dont waste all your time.®"
"it seems like every boddy trys to be politicly incorect these days®"
- grapetastebasted

"Jefferies sucks!"
- Public Domain

" It is just as pertinent as Fat Albert or other aspects of our
culture.®"
-None

Winner of the "Name the Little Fool" contest!!!®
- OMF

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

recsec

Mar 4, 2001, 1:44:59 PM3/4/01

"MartiDave" <jun...@aol.combos> wrote in message

> I am not sure if we have covered this ground yet, but I have a question.
> Besides I have to get my posting stats up. Who were the athletes in the
70's
> who had the most impact on you. It could be anyone from a local star to a
> major international celeb.

Earl Campbell. The greatest running back to have never won the Super Bowl. I
watched him in college & to think of him playing for the Oilers was just a
pipe dream. Then the day came when they announced on the news that the
Oliers had traded Jimmy Giles and a coupla picks to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
for the right to draft Earl. He & Bum Phillips put Houston football on the
map. Prior to them the only thing the Oilers had done was winning the first
2 AFL championships in 60 & 61. It still sends chills up my when I see
replays of his game against the dolphins in the Dome where he got 199 yards
rushing & busted one for 81 & the T. There were 2 pep rally's held in the
Dome for them. I was at the second. I have yet to be involved in anything as
electric as that night after referee Donald Orr screwed us out of a
touchdown against the steelers. Also on the baseball side I liked Astros
pitcher J.R. Richard. This man threw the ball about 190 m.p.h. I vividly
remember at the 1980 All Star game Mr. October saying he couldn't wait to go
up against J.R. to see what he's got. 1-2-3 pitches & he was outta there. On
the last pitch J.R. made him look like a fool. Reggie swung wildly & hit the
deck as a result. About ten years or so ago J.R. was living under a bridge,
& totally penniless. Well except for the money he would get for selling
crack. He really hit the gutter. He ballooned up to well over 300 pounds.
The Astros gave him some type of job at this point but he didn't last long.
Haven't heard much about him lately tho. Really sad.
Billy

recsec

Mar 4, 2001, 1:45:44 PM3/4/01

"David Ballarotto" <ba...@stargate.net> wrote in message

It was a catch!!! Do you know of what I speak Dave??
Billy

David Ballarotto

Mar 4, 2001, 4:08:11 PM3/4/01

"recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote in message

Do you mean the Immaculate Reception?

Beatlfilms

Mar 4, 2001, 5:55:43 PM3/4/01
The Wanderer said:

>"Beatlfilms" <beatl...@aol.com> wrote in message
>
> that poor skier they always showed
>> wiping out in the opening as the voice-over said "The agony of defeat"?
>
>I always wonder after that pounding he took...how did they get him to do it
>again the next week?

LOL! And year after year!
"What are you doing this weekend, Dan?"
"Same as usual. Tumbling down a mountain on TV..." :-)

Shawn

recsec

Mar 4, 2001, 6:31:10 PM3/4/01

They were on ABC's Wild
> World Of Sports a lot. Who the heck was that poor skier they always showed
> wiping out in the opening as the voice-over said "The agony of defeat"?

I *KNEW* had it in my book. From The Complete Unabridged Super Trivia
Encyclopedia it says:

Vinko Bogataj
Yugoslavian ski jumper on introduction to ABC Televison's "Wide World Of
Sports." He is shown going off the side of the ski jump in the 1970 Winter
Olympics. Amazingly he was not injured seriously.
Billy

recsec

Mar 4, 2001, 6:39:04 PM3/4/01

"David Ballarotto" <ba...@stargate.net> wrote in message

No no. From the 1980 AFC Championship game between the Oilers & the
steelers. Dan Pastorini threw a touchdown pass to Mike Renfro but the
officials waved it off. That was the play that brought in instant replay for
the officials to use. The first
time that is.
Billy

MartiDave

Mar 4, 2001, 8:56:03 PM3/4/01
In article <wemo6.3942$mM2.2...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "The
Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>I always wonder after that pounding he took...how did they get him to do it
>again the next week?

Some people will do anything to be on TV.3
Dave Spiegel

Beatlfilms

Mar 4, 2001, 10:14:27 PM3/4/01
recsec said:

>I *KNEW* had it in my book. From The Complete Unabridged Super Trivia
>Encyclopedia it says:
>
>Vinko Bogataj
> Yugoslavian ski jumper on introduction to ABC Televison's "Wide World Of
>Sports." He is shown going off the side of the ski jump in the 1970 Winter
>Olympics. Amazingly he was not injured seriously.

Thanks for the info! What an odd thing to be known for, eh? I wonder if he's
still alive and what else he did?

Shawn

The Man From Mars

Mar 4, 2001, 11:09:06 PM3/4/01
Stabler and Namath played for the TIDE in the 60's.

ROLL TIDE

Dixon Hayes wrote in message
<20010303210053...@ng-cr1.aol.com>...

Stkjcmwk

Mar 5, 2001, 12:32:28 AM3/5/01
Hi Everybody,
Since I grew up in the Bay Area during the '70s, I got pampered by some
great Pro Sports teams back then. People have been naming a few obvious Bay
Area names. I'd like to name a few who were not obvious choices. They had an
impact on me just the same.
Though Rick Barry was the most visible player for the Warriors during the
'74-'75 Championship Season, there were two people who were big fan favorites
at the Coliseum who played blue-collar basketball with a rough dignity I really
admired. Those two would be starting center Clifford Ray and starting point
guard Charles Johnson. People among the crowds were also very supportive of
the would be Jamaal Wilkes because of his unorthodox style of shooting being
used successfully. Those two thrilled me just as much as Barry's offensive
displays which were a given. After the championship year, I remember seeing
Robert Parrish as a rookie. He would be lionized as a member of the Celtics,
but he got booed unmercifully as a rookie because there were times when he
played like he had two left feet. He went on to an incredible career. I
remember his more humble beginnings. They also drafted Gus Williams that year
too.
I used to have half-season tickets for Warrior games from '76 to early'78.
Players from other teams who mesmerized me were people such as: Bob Love,
Chet Walker and Norm Van Lier(that guy was a brute for a guard) from the
Chicago Bulls, Bob McAdoo and Randy Smith from the old Buffalo Braves, Slick
Watts and Fred Brown from the Sonics, Bill Walton and Maurice Lucas from the
Trailblazers, Pete Maravich from the New Orleans Jazz, Julius Erving from the
'76ers though I would have killed to watch him when he was in the ABA, David
Thompson of the Denver Nuggets, Elvin Hayes and Wes Unseld for the Washington
Bullets, Dave Bing and Bob Lanier from the Detroit Pistons, Calvin Murphy of
the Houston Rockets.
I keep the players of the '70s in my heart. People have become so used to
saying that the pre-Magic/Bird era of the NBA was a wasteland. I don't agree
with that sentiment at all. I saw some very special basketball players from
back then. They played a team game. I feel very lucky indeed. I know I have
forgotten to mention other special players. But I've gone on way too long for
now. Please forgive the length of this response.
Take Care,
Steve Talia
P.S. - People have been mentioning Reggie Jackson. He made a great impact
on me, but I'll always envision him in an A's uniform.
I loved the Raiders and can't name any one particular player who who had a
greater impact than any others.
For the Giants, I loved Willie McCovey. The 49ers were in the midst of
some very tough years, but I admired John Brodie and Gene Washington.

Stkjcmwk

Mar 5, 2001, 12:38:34 AM3/5/01
Hi Everybody,
I wish to mention two more athletes who had a tremendous impact on me
because they were friends of mine. I used to exercise at a place in Cupertino
from the Summer of 1976-Summer of 1978. Iused to know the two owners of the
S.M.A.R.T. Clinic-Jim McCann who used to be a punter for the 49ers and the
Chiefs and Randy Biesler of the 49ers. They both made me feel like a human
being when I was a teenager. My appreciation to them will be lifelong and
never forgotten. I used to play basketball with them. They let this skinny
little guy play among giants. All I know is that Randy used to cream people
setting picks for me so that I wouldn't get touched. LOL! I wish I would hear
from those two. We have lost contact over the years.
Take Care,
Steve Talia

The Wanderer

Mar 5, 2001, 2:56:57 AM3/5/01
"Beatlfilms" <beatl...@aol.com> wrote in message

I wonder if he's

> still alive and what else he did?
>
> Shawn

Not a lot of skiing, I would guess.

NJROB65

Mar 5, 2001, 4:25:32 AM3/5/01
My favorite athletes from the 70's included the following:

Roberto Clemente (baseball)
Willie Stargell (baseball)
Bob Griese (football)
Franco Harris (football)
Julius Erving (basketball with Nets, not Sixers)
Tiny Archibald (basketball)
Bill Walton (basketball)
Chico Resch (hockey)
Mike Bossy (hockey)
John Shumate (college basketball)
Adrian Dantley (college basketball)
Kelly Tripucka (college basketball)
Joe Montana (college football)
Joe Frazier (boxing)
Ken Norton (boxing)
Danny "Little Red" Lopez (boxing)
Carlos Palomino (boxing)

Yeff

Mar 5, 2001, 6:01:44 AM3/5/01
In article <ta4uu3b...@corp.supernews.com>,
David Ballarotto<ba...@stargate.net> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

I had a cousin who delivered papers in a place
called Canonsburg. One night he went out collecting
on the same night a Steelers game was on. To prove
a point to me he asked what the score of the game
was at every door. Every single place they were
watching. Amazing.

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

mstx

Mar 5, 2001, 12:01:42 PM3/5/01
Steve Prefontaine among other runners has always inspired me.

MsTx

"MartiDave" <jun...@aol.combos> wrote in message
> I am not sure if we have covered this ground yet, but I have a question.
> Besides I have to get my posting stats up. Who were the athletes in the
70's
> who had the most impact on you. It could be anyone from a local star to a
> major international celeb.

> Foe me there were a few. First was Pele. He opened up a whole new world
for
> me. The man was a magician. I remember doing to Randall's Island to see
his
> debut with the Cosmos, what an incredible player.
> Second was Tom Seaver. My favorite player on my favorite team. When the
Mets
> traded him in 77, I cried!
> Third Billy Jean King/Chris Everet(sp). I was raised in a chauvinistic
house.
> These two ladies showed me that women could be great athletes and engage
in
> heated competition.
> Fourth Dave Wottle 1972 800m Olympic Gold Medalist. Ran from behind,
never
> gave up.
> Fifth, OJ Simpson, the athlete, not the guy as he is now. No one was
smoother.
> Sixth, Joe Namath. Commanded attention no matter what he was doing.
>
> There is my list. My NY City bias is pretty clear.
> Dave Spiegel

David Ballarotto

Mar 5, 2001, 3:06:32 PM3/5/01
> I had a cousin who delivered papers in a place
> called Canonsburg. One night he went out collecting
> on the same night a Steelers game was on. To prove
> a point to me he asked what the score of the game
> was at every door. Every single place they were
> watching. Amazing.

Ah, yes! Canonsburg. Home town of Perry Como and Bobby Vinton. It's
really not that much of a stretch to tell you they could have told you, back
then, each of Bobby Vinton's singles were, where they charted, and how long
they were at their peak position.

Tiny Dancer

Mar 5, 2001, 9:03:25 PM3/5/01
And so the word went out from beatl...@aol.com (Beatlfilms):

Good question, Shawn, let's fire up Google, shall we?! I love net projects :-)
Oooo, here's a good one right off the bat:

http://www.ew.com/ew/fab400/tv100/70s_p1.html

Little blurb and pic (and they dispute the venue, not the Olympics according
to them anyway):

March 21, 1970
Even the most sports-phobic TV viewer has the image stamped indelibly on
the brain: Yugoslavian Vinko Bogataj illustrating the "agony of defeat" by
careening off a ramp during the International Ski Flying Championship in
Oberstdorf, West Germany. Bogataj not only survived the hideous spill but
went on to become a celebrity thanks to ABC's Wide World of Sports
coordinating producer Dennis Lewin, who inserted the segment into the
show's opening credits. Lewin recalls the U.S. ski-jumping team being none
too pleased with his use of Vinko's tumble: "They thought we were giving the
sport a bad name."

Really nice site, gang, have a look. This is page one of seven covering the '70s
part of Entertainment Weekly's list of The 100 Greatest Moments in Television.

Okay, here we go, from Britannica's reprint of Sports Illustrated's Where Are
They Now? issue from July 2000:

http://www.britannica.com/bcom/magazine/article/0,5744,382408,00.html

Oh, the Agony of it All

He remembers entering the starting gates and racing downhill at 65 mph.
The next thing Vinko Bogataj remembers is waking up in the snow. Most
Americans can fill in the blank, since Bogataj's skis-over-ski-cap tumble
has symbolized the "agony of defeat" on ABC's Wide World of Sports
since 1971. Eight years passed before Bogataj--whose famous crash
occurred at the 1970 International Ski Flying Championship--learned that
his fall had been immortalized, which made him a minor celebrity and
allowed him to hobnob with the likes of Frank Sinatra and O.J. Simpson.
Today Bogataj, 52, and his wife, Lilijana, live in his native Slovenia, where
they raised two daughters. A truck driver who enjoys oil painting, Bogataj
still isn't sure what to make of his peculiar notoriety. "I think it's a bit unusual,"
he says. "But the crash was nasty and thrilling. It was good for TV."

So, there ya go, he survived all that agony after all :-)

Cheers,

TD

Catch the breeze and the winter chills
In colors on the snowy linen land
from Don McLean's "Vincent"

For a good time call
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html

Tiny Dancer's X-Files Episode Guide
http://www.insanity.com.au/td/

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://i.am/tinyd

Tiny Dancer

Mar 5, 2001, 10:34:33 PM3/5/01
And so the word went out from stkj...@aol.com (Stkjcmwk):

<snip>

>Please forgive the length of this response.

No problemo, Steve, we'll take all the wordy members we can use, welcome! :-)

As for the subject, I didn't really follow sports at the time, Ali was really the
biggest "hero" I had and that was more for his presence than his actions
(not a boxing fan, can't watch it). I always dug him.

Evel Knievel was a fave for the same reason, he was part of pop culture and
always made for good TV. Not that I didn't enjoy watching his stunts but they
were killers on the nerves!

The only baseball memory I have is being so excited when Toronto finally
got a team in 1977. Once we moved back to TO, I spent more than a few
hours numbing my bum on those snow and wind-swept bleachers of good
old Exhibition Stadium! They're also memorable as the only ones I went to
with my Dad.

Otherwise, I followed the Olympics with the '76 ones in Montreal an especially
vivid memory (we were in Newfoundland). I loved watching Nadia Comaneci,
Olga Korbut, and Nikolai Andrianov in the gymnastics, Canuck swimmers
Shannon Smith, Nancy Garapick, and Becky Smith along with Bruce Jenner
and Leon Spinks.

I was just eight for the '72 Munich Olympics so the terrorist attack, I'm sorry to
say, barely registered with me at the time but Mark Spitz sure did! ;-) Seven
world records, seven gold medals *and* that killer all-American smile and
mustache?! Please, I was putty in his golden hands! Who knows how many
more records he could have broken if he hadn't been forced to leave early.
Also enjoyed young Aussie swimmer Shane Gould and my first glimpse at
the amazing Olga Korbut, two "kids" acting out my fantasies on TV.

Cheers,

TD

In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
from Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer"

Beatlfilms

Mar 6, 2001, 3:52:37 AM3/6/01
Tiny Dancer said:

>Today Bogataj, 52, and his wife, Lilijana, live in his native Slovenia, where
>
>they raised two daughters. A truck driver who enjoys oil painting, Bogataj
>still isn't sure what to make of his peculiar notoriety. "I think it's a bit
>unusual,"
>he says. "But the crash was nasty and thrilling. It was good for TV."
>
>So, there ya go, he survived all that agony after all :-)

Thanks a million, TD! Ain't the Internet wonderful? How else could we keep
track of truck driver from Slovenia who had a skiing mishap 30 years ago? :-)

Shawn

andy749

Mar 6, 2001, 6:20:11 AM3/6/01
Got to put a word in for one of my heroes...Muhammad Ali...boxing was
great in the 70s. I'll never see another like Ali again in my lifetime.
Also, the finest football team of all-time...the '73 Miami Dolphins. In
'72 they went 17-0...I think the yr after they were really better. 17-0,
it gets a little more special with each passing yr. May never be broken.

mike c

Mar 7, 2001, 9:15:54 PM3/7/01
wow, i didn't see anyone mention the greatest football player of all time:
Walter Payton! Sweetness arrived in Chicago around 1974 or 1975, just a few
years after Gale Sayers retired.

Other faves:
Dick Butkus

Fergie Jenkins
Ernie Banks
Billy Williams
Ron Santo

Bobby Hull
Tony Esposito

"NJROB65" <njr...@aol.com> wrote in message

Yeff

Mar 7, 2001, 9:18:18 PM3/7/01
In article <ta7sfv5...@corp.supernews.com>,
David Ballarotto<ba...@stargate.net> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> Ah, yes! Canonsburg.

I was born just down the road in
Washington, PA. To those of us in
the know it's "Little Washington".

Heard of it?

Yeff

Mar 7, 2001, 9:19:56 PM3/7/01
In article <ta7sfv5...@corp.supernews.com>,
David Ballarotto<ba...@stargate.net> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> Home town of Perry Como and Bobby Vinton.

There was a wrestling guy from there, though
I forget his name. I'm banging my head on
my desk and getting nothing but a bloody
forehead. Don't suppose you know who I'm
trying to remember?

David Ballarotto

Mar 8, 2001, 3:36:47 PM3/8/01
I'm not sure who you mean if it was a while ago. Kurt Angle is from Mt.
Lebanon, if you mean him.

Sandy

Mar 9, 2001, 12:00:29 PM3/9/01
>Who were the athletes in the 70's
>who had the most impact on you.

Hmmmm....athlete from the 70s? Hmmmm....let me think...ummm....who was an
athlete from the 70s that had an impact on me....ummmm...gee, this is such a
hard one for me...ummmm... (teehee!)

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

Jamie

Mar 9, 2001, 9:00:06 PM3/9/01
I know! I know Sandy! Could it be Bobby Owah? *hehe*

Jamie ;)

Jeff Troutman

Mar 9, 2001, 9:28:45 PM3/9/01

Bob Uecker?

Jeff Troutman

Sandy

Mar 12, 2001, 5:41:05 PM3/12/01
>I know! I know Sandy! Could it be Bobby Owah? *hehe*
>
>Jamie ;)

Oh yeah, Jamie!...I remember him!! ;)

Sandy

Mar 12, 2001, 5:42:40 PM3/12/01
>who had the most impact on you.
>>
>> Hmmmm....athlete from the 70s? Hmmmm....let me think...ummm....who was an
>> athlete from the 70s that had an impact on me....ummmm...gee, this is such
>> hard one for me...ummmm... (teehee!)
>>

>Bob Uecker?
>

>Jeff Troutman

No, no Jeff....say it with me Bo-bby-Orr...
there ya go! :)

Jeff Troutman

Mar 12, 2001, 11:01:02 PM3/12/01
"Sandy" <sand...@aol.com> wrote:
> >who had the most impact on you.
> >>
> >> Hmmmm....athlete from the 70s? Hmmmm....let me think...ummm....who was
an
> >> athlete from the 70s that had an impact on me....ummmm...gee, this is
such
> >> hard one for me...ummmm... (teehee!)
> >>

> >Bob Uecker?
> >

> No, no Jeff....say it with me Bo-bby-Orr...
> there ya go! :)

Oh, I remember him! Yeah, the tennis guy that Billie Jean King beat up on!
I got it now...

:)

Jeff Troutman

Sandy

Mar 13, 2001, 6:32:53 PM3/13/01
> No, no Jeff....say it with me Bo-bby-Orr...
>> there ya go! :)
>>

>Oh, I remember him! Yeah, the tennis guy that Billie Jean King beat up on!
>I got it now...
>
>:)
>

>Jeff Troutman

Hey, are you cruisin for a bruisin Jefferey?