Memorable Teachers of Yesteryear

Trittboy

Oct 8, 2001, 7:14:40 PM10/8/01
I was reminiscing with old high school friends about teachers from our
youth who made an impression on us, both good and bad. Just wondering
if anyone has any good stories?

Mrs. Kopeche, 1st grade teacher. Mean. Just a hag. Totally resembled
Miss Gulch from "Wizard of Oz" with a charm-free personality to match.
I remember one time when I was in Kindergarten, I was walking into the
school and Mrs. Kopeche was standing there, all witch-like, with her
arms crossed. She saw my shoes were untied and told me to tie them.
Well, I hadn't really mastered the whole shoe-tying process yet, so I
was near tears when she demanded I tie them. She made me stand behind
this door until I tied them. Instead, I just tucked the laces in my
shoes and went running. (I was half-way expecting one of her
winged-monkeys to swoop me up.)

Mrs. Schwartz, 5th grade teacher. I didn't have her for 'my' teacher,
but some of my friends did. Oh man, was this woman uptight. She acted
like she had a big ole telephone pole up her ass all the time. She's one
of those people that was probably only about 35 back then, but looked
about 60 because of her grumpy demeanor. Chronically crabby!. Seems
like everytime we walked past her class, we would look in and see the
entire class with their heads down on their desks. Of course, Cruella
DeVille had gotten pissed at something and was constantly repremanding
the class.

The big shock was one day seeing Mrs. Schwartz and noticing she was
PREGNANT!! We all just wondered in disbelief: HOW CAN THIS BE?!!

Tritt

Nanc

Oct 9, 2001, 7:11:30 AM10/9/01
>The big shock was one day seeing Mrs. Schwartz and noticing she was
>PREGNANT!! We all just wondered in disbelief: HOW CAN THIS BE?!!

>Tritt

ROFL Tritt!! We never thought of our teachers as real people with real
lives. And to think someone actually "liked" Mrs. Schwartz, LOL.....here's
*one* of my stories- I had some pretty horrible teachers. They would never
get away with some of the things they did nowadays..

My first grade teacher was a witch too. There were several of us who peed
our pants because we were afraid to ask to go to the bathroom. She said if
we didn't go at recess time then "cross your legs and hold it".
Does anyone remember those little yellow cardboard squares with letters on
them? Everyone got some at the beginning of the school year and were
supposed to used them all year long. Well Miss Magee wrote a list of words
on the chalkboard and told us to spell them out on our desks using our
letters. I don't remember what word it was, but I apparently lost some of my
letters and couldn't spell the word. First she yelled at me to finish and I
remember saying, "I can't". Then she took my chair away and made me stand at
my desk until all the words were spelled. I repeated, "I can't". Don't ask
me why I didn't tell her why or why the jerk didn't ask but she kept me
after school. (Now keep in mind I was painfully shy, so this was a living
nightmare for me) Finally, she called my sister down to get me and my
not-shy-at-all sister said " She can't spell the words because she doesn't
have to letters!!!". Miss Magee just said, "Well why didn't you say so?" and
let me go.
I still hate her :-P
Nanc

Trittboy

Oct 9, 2001, 8:24:37 AM10/9/01
LOL! Poor Nanc!! Gather up all your letters and hold onto them tight!!

My best friend Mark peed his pants in Kindergarten. Our teacher Mrs.
Ball was really nice--really! (although there were rumors that she
buried her husband in the basement of her house. But that's a whole
different story I can get into some other time.) Anyway, Mrs. Ball was
really a nice lady, but when she saw my friend had peed his pants, she
made him PUT ON A SPARE DRESS SHE HAD IN THE CLOSET!!!! And for as
much shit as my friend and I have given each other over the years, that
chapter is STILL off limits to tease about!

Dixon Hayes

Oct 9, 2001, 9:49:00 AM10/9/01
Man, my teachers were feast or famine. Not many so-so teachers, either they
were wonderful or they were just hateful old bitties who had as much business
being in front of a room ful of kids as Homer Simpson has working the controls
of a nuclear power plant.

Let's start with the good ones:

Mrs. Pruitt, kindergarten--she was always nice to me, even if she did tape some
other kid's mouth shut once (and he was already a shy kid anyway).

Miss Whorton, third grade--one teacher I would most like to see again, she was
there for me emotionally when I got my glasses (and got teased), and when my
parents split up. She was the first teacher I ever had who cared about a
child's self-esteem, instead of treating it like something that had to be
confiscated before class. Quite possibly my favorite teacher ever.

Mrs. Pruitt, fifth grade (different from my kindergarten teacher)--actually all
of my fifth grade teachers were not bad...but Mrs. Stracener was kind of
temperamental and Mrs Pettus was kind of cold. Mrs. Pruitt was very loving and
kind and obviously went into teaching because she wanted to. Unfortunately she
missed a few weeks because she left to have a baby.

Mrs. Colvin, seventh grade--someone who cared again...

Mr. Edge, high school--someone who cared about the kids, not just when they
were in the classroom, but outside it as well.

Mr. Findley, Mrs. Handy, Mr. Bentley and Mr. Kirby--four other favorite high
school teachers who were fair and who cared tha that the kids retained some
knowledge when they left. I think Mr. Findley is the only one who's still
teaching, and he teaches at a nearby community college.

Dixon
===========
"I'm not standing in the stag line with Old Man Perkins and a bunch of
slumped-over teenaged boys!"
--Barney Fife

Classic Hollywood Squares:
http://www.geocities.come/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

Dixon Hayes

Oct 9, 2001, 10:07:09 AM10/9/01
Okay...now the bad ones...

Miss Linebarger--a mean old witch who once berated me in front of the class for
the vicious crime of spilling my Nestle's powder while trying to turn my milk
into chocolate. My mother was so irate she called her and blessed her
out...while lying in a hospital bed, having just given birth to my sister. Oh,
and old lady Linebarger had a paddle she called "Mr Black." (God those
teachers had a bloodlust for paddling, and for mind games.)

Mrs. Caldwell, third grade--senile old bitty who should have retired sometime
during the Eisenhower. She actually paddled people for getting out of their
desks to throw paper away...then paddled them if they threw it in the floor or
piled it in their desk. She constantly fell asleep in class too, when she
wasn't yelling at people. A walking example of everything that was wrong with
Alabama's tenure law.

Mrs. Champion, fourth grade--We were her first class, and boy was she
temperamental and moody. She loved, adored punishing people. She's the one
who taught us that temper tantrums were okay if you're a grown-up. She's been
married four times, which speaks volumes about her...

Mrs. Cross, sixth grade--I've written about this whistle-blowing Gestapo
before. She's the one who paddled people for keeping their eyes open during the
lunchtime prayer (yes, this was a public school). Once kept an entire class
induring recess, for the utterly violent crime of talking in class.

Mrs. Hornbuckle, elementary school teacher--If hell has a P.E. class she'll be
teaching it. Screamed and berated children constantly, calling us "stupid" and
"idiots". Apparently self-esteem was as contraband in school in those days as
guns are now.

Mrs. Pruet & Mrs Darnell, eighth grade--once spent several weeks berating us at
length for not looking "peppy" enough during a football pep rally, even to the
point of getting us out of class to practice cheers. (I am *not* making this
up!) The idea was to win the "peppy" stick but the seventh grade won it
instead anyway. This was still a very constructive, valuable lesson to us
about the evils of totalitarianism, and that it's okay to be petty when you're
an adult. Oh, and Mrs. Pruet once berated me in front of the class over
allegations of "destruction of school property" (my history book had a slight
tear in it, and was due to be replace the following year anyway). Bitch.

Mr. Webb, shop teacher--Hateful old man who adored playing mind games. He
couldn't just get onto someone or punish them on the spot, oh no, he had to
stop class long enough to play with the guy's mind and humiliate them. He once
threw away two wooden candle holders I made because "I didn't want those things
in my shop." Bastard. If I never see him again it'll *still* be too soon. We
called him "hog ears" behind his back. We should have called him "gila
monster" after the tobacco he was always spitting.

WiNK

Oct 9, 2001, 11:08:07 AM10/9/01
Wow, Dixon....you had some DOOZIES!!!! YIKES!!!! I have been more
fortunate..... the only bad teacher I had was Mrs. Beach (yes, we called her
Mrs. Bitch.) She was so close to retirement, I think they forced her to do
so the year after I had her for two weeks in 2nd grade.... Yes, only two
weeks. It was such a horrible personality conflict, right up until the time
she held me like a baby in front of the class and rocked me, because I had
done *something* that was apparently baby-ish. I think I might have fallen
asleep in class, if I recall. Anyway, after that straw breaking the camels
back, my Mom asked the principal to have me moved to another class. They
did. And next year, Mrs. Beach was long gone...... she was a horribly
bitter woman and I was one of those precocious kids that needed a lot of
challenges....still, I was a good kid. :-) Just didn't get along with her.
I was moved to Mrs. Richard's class. She was a gem..... Mary Lou Richard.
My brother also had her as a teacher.....we just loved her. She was the
only grade school teacher who encouraged my love for spelling by giving me
special lists each week. Unfortunately, Mrs. Richard died at an early age
by falling off of a cliff!!! I was horrified! I believe I was in 5th grade
when this happened............

Nadine

Dixon Hayes <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Oct 9, 2001, 11:05:29 AM10/9/01

We had some doozies at my grammar school (but some very good teachers, as
well). I was talking about this with Kelly the other day and expressing my
theory that the constant spewing of schoolkid body fluids was likely directly
correlated with high stress levels resulting from teacher authoritarianism
and bullying, with that likely a result of incompetance.

I've just had an interesting experience over the past two months. I considered
the possibility of becoming a teacher in the NYC public schools, but what
I experienced, such as all the red tape and nasty petty bureaucrats with
whom I was forced to deal, really turned me off and made me realize that
too many school systems have as their first priority procedural compliance
rather than working with teachers to make them good teachers. Unfortunately,
as a result, kids learn as much in spite of, as because of, their school
experiences. In spite this, some teachersmanage to rise above the muck and
to inspire their kids. These teachers are heroes.

We have kids in my family who go to a Montessori school, and it's a great
school. I've been in it a bunch of times, and the thing that impressed me
was everyone was calm - no signs of regular temper tantrums - and the kids
seemed to be really, deeply learning. It's also a much more egalitarian environment
than in most schools, where external rewards, punishments, and status are
central. It's too bad that wasn't the norm for most schools. Of course, it's
also too bad that we don't live in a more ideal world.

Tom

-------------------
"The only way to obtain what philosophy seeks -- a complete grasp of the world -- is to connect ourselves with history instead of contemplating it."

-Maurice Merleau-Ponty

rach

Oct 9, 2001, 1:57:22 PM10/9/01
Great thread.

I had a lot of positive teacher expeariences but like Dixon, it was
feast of famine.

My kindergarten teacher was and is an absolute angel. Mrs Jarmain. She
was imaginative, kind, creative and a really good dresser. She was two
years from retirement when I was in her class but it was like each
class was her first. When my father died 4 years ago, one of the
things that is very clear in my memory is sitting in the funeral car
after the church with my mom, two aunts and my uncle. I was about to
lose my head when I saw a woman come out of the church and look
around. I couldn`t believe my eyes when I realized who it was. It was
her. She came right over to the car and my aunt rolled the window
down; she stuck her hand in and took mine and started talking to me. I
was so shocked I can`t remember what she said but it was very kind. A
few weeks later, I got a card from her and she said that I had the
same huge eyes I did as a 6 year old and they looked exactly the same
as when my grandmother had died during kindergarten.

On the flip side in grade 7, we were terrorized by Jeff Tishler. Mr
Tishler is and always will be a complete bastard and not only should
he not be around kids, he should also be taken out of society. I
clearly remember going in for math help with a group of kids and he
went through the problem once and when we didn`t get it, he lost it...
screaming and telling us how stupid we were...all that. I was fairly
shy at the time and didn`t say a word but never EVER went for help in
anything again. I had a friend Debbie who was a little chubby. He told
her mother at a parent teacher interview that she should take her to
weight watchers because she was a fat slob ... this is while the 13
year old girl is sitting right there mind you. He would SCREAM at you
at the top of his lungs... two centimetres from your face. He threw
desks. He was completely inappropriate with us girls if you know what
I mean. One day, I was in one of the little homework rooms they had
and he put his hand on mine and said "you are a very pretty girl"
(yeah right, braces a Lady Diana hair cut and a frilly blouse... I am
so sure) I was terrified. I went to move my hand away and he kept
holding it. I weighed the situation and figured my dad would
understand me being disrespectful to an authority figure so I told him
that if he didn`t let go of me, it would be the last thing he did. He
seemed shocked and let go. I left the room and went back to class. I
didn`t know where else to go. As usual, I just told my dad (my mother
over reacts about everything and I felt that she would blame me).My
dad had a look when he was REALLY pissed... his eyes got bluer and he
went almost beet read and just had this look. He left and when he came
back, he told me Mr Tishler wouldn`t be in school period and that was
that. To this day, I am surprised my father didn`t kill him - he was a
kick your ass first, ask questions later kinda guy. A few years ago, I
ran into an old teacher and we were chatting about old teachers in the
school. I brought up his name and the teacher just said "oh no one
heard from THAT one and they were glad to get rid of that bastard."

I hope my kids won`t sit on their asses like a lot of kids did when I
was young. Not that they would be disrespectful but that they wont
take one bit of shit.

rach

Dixon Hayes

Oct 9, 2001, 2:01:40 PM10/9/01
Nadine wrote:

> It was such a horrible personality conflict, right up until the time
>she held me like a baby in front of the class and rocked me, because I had
>done *something* that was apparently baby-ish. I think I might have fallen
>asleep in class, if I recall.

Was our generation the turning point, for self-esteem being acknowledged as
important to a child? Looks like it was a shakedown period between those who
wanted to crush it (older) and those who wanted to nurture it (younger).
Anyone else see this pattern?

Dixon Hayes

Oct 9, 2001, 2:09:05 PM10/9/01
Rach wrote:

>I hope my kids won`t sit on their asses like a lot of kids did when I
>was young. Not that they would be disrespectful but that they wont
>take one bit of shit.

I already told my daughter all my "bad teacher" stories and told her to let me
know if any of hers acted that way. None ever have. My parents came from a
generation where authority stood by each other no matter what and settled their
differences away from the kids. That just taught me *all* authority could be
corrupt.

Crazy Fingers

Oct 9, 2001, 3:50:32 PM10/9/01
My youngest brother had a teacher called "Mr. Gross" who was really mean to
the students - he'd come and pick them up by the back of the neck if they
were misbehaving. That was when teachers could still do that sort of thing.
My brother used to get headaches from that - he would have been in second
grade then.

One night, many years later, my brother called him at home at about 3 a.m.
(we were both drunk at the time), and asked if Mr. Gross remembered him. He
told him the story, then he remembered. Then my bro said "Well, I'm 21 now,
six feet tall, and really big. And I know where you live."

You should have heard that teacher backpedaling. My brother wasn't really
going to go kick his ass, but he wanted to put some fear into him - like he
did to so many kids way back when.

--
United We Stand
Dustin
"Trittboy" <Trit...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Nanc

Oct 9, 2001, 6:03:04 PM10/9/01
Thanks Tritt ...sniff..sniff....I *think* I got over that. I can imagine it
must have been just a little more embarrassing for your friend though ;)
Nanc

Trittboy wrote in message
<3265-3BC...@storefull-294.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

Nanc

Oct 9, 2001, 6:04:26 PM10/9/01
I totally agree Dixon. I used to think, "Why do they children-hating people
become teachers?????"
Nanc

Dixon Hayes wrote in message
<20011009094900...@mb-cl.aol.com>...

Nanc

Oct 9, 2001, 6:10:06 PM10/9/01
Wowie Dixon. I have a couple more horror story but I think you should win
the "Most horrible teachers had by one kid" award!!!!!!
Nanc

Nanc

Oct 9, 2001, 6:16:15 PM10/9/01
Absolutely Dixon. I had some wonderful, warm teachers that nurtured and
communicated and helped everyone in class learn in a wonderful environment.
Mrs. Volpe is my favorite teacher of all time. I can still see her in her
mini-dresses and boots :-) Also, I had a highschool teacher, Ms. Grant, who
was the best teacher I ever had in highschool. She was sort of hippie-ish
and reminded me of Barbra Streisand- hey Sandy was in that class with me!!
Wasn't she the coolest teacher in CRLS??
On the other hand, the old teacher were usually grumpy and mean.....
Nanc

Nanc

Oct 9, 2001, 6:19:57 PM10/9/01
That's quite a story Nadine! Especially the ending.....I had a teacher in
6th grade named Mr. Dunn. He used to get his jollies by chasing a heavy boy
in our class. He would pick up huge, hardcover books and throw them at him.
I remember us all thinking it was all in fun because he never hit him. Now I
can still the fear on this poor boys face and it makes me ashamed for
laughing back then. The poor kid :-(
Nanc

Nanc

Oct 9, 2001, 6:24:59 PM10/9/01
Tom this teacher I mentioned, Ms.Grant, taught Earlychildhood Education. One
of our field trips was to a Montessori school. I would have loved to send
Jen to one of those schools but unfortunate the price was too high. I
*would* be nice if our public schools had their philosophy.

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Oct 9, 2001, 6:58:50 PM10/9/01

Nanc, that was my reaction when visiting the Montessori school, and I understood
why most schools don't follow the Montessori philosophy; unfortunately, not
everyone can afford private schools, and even for some families who do send
their kids to a private school, it can be a real financial hardship do so.
But on top of this, the more conventional schools have been designed to provide
mass - rather than individually tailored - education; in fact, the earliest
public schools in the U.S., which emerged after the Civil War, were modeled
after the factories and were designed to foster basic work skills and expected
attitudes (such as an unquestioning obediance to the boss) as well as loyalty
to the American ideology, in just the same way that schools in the USSR were
designed to create good, loyal little commuinist worker bees, with the elites
in both societies sending their kids to the elite educational institutions.
And what's basic to the public schools has been typically true of the parochial
schools, as well, with the added on goal of unquestioning obediance to the
church.

After reading this thread, if I ever have kids, I'd be very tempted to want
to do home schooling; at least I'd trust in the teacher's competance, sanity,
and concern for kids' well being :).

Trittboy

Oct 9, 2001, 7:58:24 PM10/9/01
Miss Erion was our Spanish teacher in 8th grade. A surprisingly small
amount of students had signed up for Spanish that year and Miss Erion's
job was kind of on the line.

I'll never forget the first day. She gave an assignment and all of us
complained. She said "If any of you want to quit this class, you're
free to leave right now!". Several of us stood up to leave and her
eyes got as big as pinatas.

She quickly goes "...HOWEVER, today is a Spanish holiday and we're going
to celebrate with donuts." We all immediately sat down.

Now, I never really mastered the Spanish language, but one thing I 'did'
learn that year is that they sure have A LOT of holidays---all of which
are celebrated with donuts from Red Owl.

Senor Tritt

Kelly

Oct 9, 2001, 8:23:15 PM10/9/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote

> After reading this thread, if I ever have kids,
I'd be very tempted to want
> to do home schooling; at least I'd trust in the
teacher's competance, sanity,
> and concern for kids' well being :).
>
> Tom

I guess the mother of your children would be doing
all the teaching if you were concerned about the
sanity of the teacher :-).

I have issues with home schooling. There is a
certain amount of socialization that takes place
in a school environment that no amount of outside
activities can replace. The day in, day out
exposure a child has to his or her peer group is
an important part of a child's development.

Maybe I would feel differently if it was my own
child. I know that if I had children I would not
want them in the NYC school system. If I did have
a school aged child I would move out to the 'burbs
before subjecting them to that.

Kelly

rach

Oct 9, 2001, 10:26:28 PM10/9/01
I agree with Kelly here and hope Mr Tom "money shot" C will leave the
instruction to the wife. Personally, I think kids are have to go through a
little of this teacher shit as long as its monitored closely by the parent
and any inappropriate teacher doings are nipped in the bud.

I also think that kids are going to be kids and like Kelly says, they need
to interact with their peers. Kids can be cruel too and that in itself is a
good lesson. There is a little boy that lives up the street from me... he's
11 and is being teased by some bullies since school started. He gets sick in
the morning with having to see them and cries when he has to go to school.
The kid is high strung as it is and this isn't helping. His mother and I are
good friends and she asked my opinion. (funny when parents ask non-parents
shit like this, isn't it?) She seemed to want me to say to Cole to ignore it
and pretend it doesn't bother him but I said "do not pretend like this shit
doesn't bother you. What do they do if you tell them to go fuck themselves?"
Cole,of course, giggled and when he saw I was serious said he was too scared
to tell them that. I asked him if he thought he could kick their ass. He
seemed unsure and I reminded him of the NUMBER of times I have seen him kick
his two brother's asses and thought he would be ok. I also suggested he get
into some kind of martial art and learn to defend himself.

This was almost the same speech my dad gave me when I was in about the same
grade. A boy was teasing me and pushing, hitting ... that kind of thing. Now
I know it was because he liked me (I ran into him at a bar a few years ago
and he told me this) but back then I was scared to go out of the school. My
dad had enough of my mom telling me to ignore it (hard to ignore tears in a
kids eyes...) and took me downstairs and taught me to box. A few weeks
later, Spencer started again. He pushed my buttons the last time and I laid
him out flat. Never bothered me after that. I think school is more about
people learning than book learning and as long as the kid sees that, then
all it cool.

--

rach
"cheer up, my brother, come live in the sunshine - we'll understand it all
Kelly <spide...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Beatlfilms

Oct 10, 2001, 6:14:00 AM10/10/01
rach said:

>Great thread.
>
>I had a lot of positive teacher expeariences but like Dixon, it was
>feast of famine.

I can identify with this too. I had a good selection of nice teachers, who I
remember fondly and would actually like to see again. Unfortunately, there also
a couple of truly bad ones. One was Mr. O'Neal; my social studies teacher in
junior high. He and I butted heads on several occasions. Once, during a film
about Vietnam, there was a scene showing two soldiers using their rifles as pot
pipes. Mr. O'Neal actually stopped the film, and announced to the class that me
and my best friend would most likely end up blowing our brains out trying to
emulate that. Being 13 (and never having had anything to do with marijuana at
that point), I reminded him in no uncertain terms of his baldness and expansive
waistline. He was later arrested for liking young boys just a little too much.

The other one that stands out was Mrs. Barnes, who had a thyroid condition. One
day she was standing at the chalkboard and just snapped -- flinging a stack of
books from one end of the room to the other before screaming at the top of her
lungs (and I quote), "You're all a bunch of fucking dildos!" Then, she stalked
over to my table and said, "Shawn, I sense you're mentally flipping me off." I
replied something to the effect of "Would ya like to see the real thing, you
nutcake?" and she burst into tears and asked the class, "Is it true you all
hate me like Shawn says?" At that point I stood up, tossed the table over and
walked out. Knowing the vice principal on a fairly personal basis, I stormed
into his office and announced that Mrs. Barnes was quite insane. I recounted my
story for him, he had me tell it again to the principal (nothing like getting
say a phrase like "fucking dildos" to the head honcho of the school!) and
nowadays Mrs. Barnes sells real estate.

Shawn

Nanc

Oct 10, 2001, 6:43:48 AM10/10/01
Well the amount the government spends of education is another issue. It
makes me sick when I think of how little teachers are paid. MA has a
"budget" like most states I would assume. Our schools are overcrowded and
they claim there is no money. Then the other day, our Governor states we
have a 2 billion dollar surplus to spend in case of emergency...rainy day
money. I freaked!!! They have 2 billion dollars just lying around and
"can't" put any more money into the schools??? It makes me very
angry.....GGRRRRR
Nanc

antipos...@127.0.0.1 wrote in message
<3bc3812a$1...@spamkiller.newsgroups.com>...

Nanc

Oct 10, 2001, 6:44:31 AM10/10/01
LOL Kel, are you saying our Tom is insane ;)

Nanc

Oct 10, 2001, 6:52:03 AM10/10/01
Rach, I think you can still teach those things to your child and homeschool
them too. Not that I could homeschool. The thought crossed my mind but Jen
is better off with someone else. I think we'd probably kill each other LOL!
(I can't wait until she's a teenager- we butt heads now I can only imagine
in a few years) Anyway back to my point. I agree homeschooling is not for
everyone but I have seen it being successful. My former pastor and his wife
are homeshcooling all 4 of their kids- all the way through highschool. The
kids play with neighborhood children and were involved in other activities
as well. (sports, drama, etc.) So they did socialize with other kids and
they are all doing great. His oldest son just graduated college and seems to
be a happy, well-rounded guy. So there's my 2 cents worth.....
Nanc

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Oct 10, 2001, 7:02:31 AM10/10/01

beatl...@aol.com (Beatlfilms) wrote:
>The other one that stands out was Mrs. Barnes, who had a thyroid condition.
One
>day she was standing at the chalkboard and just snapped -- flinging a stack
of
>books from one end of the room to the other before screaming at the top
of her
>lungs (and I quote), "You're all a bunch of fucking dildos!" Then, she stalked
>over to my table and said, "Shawn, I sense you're mentally flipping me off."
>replied something to the effect of "Would ya like to see the real thing,
you
>nutcake?" and she burst into tears and asked the class, "Is it true you
all
>hate me like Shawn says?" At that point I stood up, tossed the table over
and
>walked out. Knowing the vice principal on a fairly personal basis, I stormed
>into his office and announced that Mrs. Barnes was quite insane. I recounted
my
>story for him, he had me tell it again to the principal (nothing like getting
>say a phrase like "fucking dildos" to the head honcho of the school!) and
>nowadays Mrs. Barnes sells real estate.
>
>Shawn

Wow, I wonder if she ever yells out "You're all a bunch of fucking dildos!"
to people whose houses she's trying to buy or sell.

Nanc

Oct 10, 2001, 7:07:17 AM10/10/01
OMG Shawn!! I can't believe that's a true story! ROFL...I think you might
win the best story award!
Nanc

Nanc

Oct 10, 2001, 7:08:27 AM10/10/01
I'll bet lots of kids (adult kids as well) would love a chance like that
Dustin :-)
Nanc

Nanc

Oct 10, 2001, 7:10:51 AM10/10/01
I had a similar conversation with my daughter. She argued back that I
couldn't possibly tell them what to do. I replied, "My tax money pays their
salary and they will damn well do what I say!" A mother's protective
instincts can be quite powerful.....
Nanc

Dixon Hayes wrote in message

<20011009140905...@mb-mn.aol.com>...

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Oct 10, 2001, 7:54:50 AM10/10/01

Thanks for backing me up here, Nanc. I used to be very skeptical about home
schooling, but the research on it tends to support it.

-------------------

Kelly

Oct 10, 2001, 8:06:50 AM10/10/01
Home schooling or no home schooling, when parent's
take an active role in a child's education the
child is more successful.

Kelly

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Oct 10, 2001, 8:08:20 AM10/10/01

Here's what the research on home schooling indicates:

SOCIALIZATION OF CHILDREN
Does the research show any clear-cut advantages or disadvantages to home
schooling, in relation to the social and emotional development of children
schooled at home? Does the home-schooled youngster do as well in measures
of interpersonal skills and communication skills as the conventionally schooled
child?

The stereotypical home-schooled child is often portrayed as being shy, passive,
and lethargic because of his/her isolation from the normal socialization
found in formal schooling. Critics further allege that the self-concept of
the home-schooled child suffers from lack of exposure to a more conventional
environment (Stough, 1992).

Another socialization-related accusation faced by home educators is that
of overprotecting their children from the real world. If this is true, however,
at least one researcher (Bliss, 1989) does not consider this to be a serious
problem. She argues that "Protection during early, developmental years for
purposes of nurturing and growth is evident in many arenas: plant, animal,
and aquatic. Why should it be considered wrong or bad in the most vital arena,
human development?"

Stough (1992),looking particularly at socialization, compared 30 home-schooling
families and 32 conventionally schooling families, families with children
7-14 years of age. According to the findings, children who were schooled
at home "gained the necessary skills, knowledge, and attitudes needed to
function in society...at a rate similar to that of conventionally schooled
children." The researcher found no difference in the self concept of children
in the two groups. Stough maintains that "insofar as self concept is a reflector
of socialization, it would appear that few home-schooled children are socially
deprived, and that there may be sufficient evidence to indicate that some
home-schooled children have a higher self concept than conventionally schooled
children."
This echoes the findings of Taylor (1987). Using one of the best validated
self-concept scales available, Taylor's random sampling of home-schooled
children (45,000) found that half of these children scored at or above the
91st percentile--47% higher than the average, conventionally schooled child.
He concludes: "Since self concept is considered to be a basic dynamic of
positive sociability, this answers the often heard skepticism suggesting
that home schoolers are inferior in socialization" (Taylor, 1987).

From the findings of these two studies, it would appear that the concerns
expressed by teachers, administrators, and legislators about socialization
and home schooling might be unfounded. Indeed, Bliss (1989) contends that
it is in the formal educational system's setting that children first experience
negative socialization, conformity, and peer pressure. According to her,
"This is a setting of large groups, segmented by age, with a variation of
authority figures...the individual, with his/her developmental needs, becomes
overpowered by the expectations and demand of others--equal in age and equally
developmentally needy."

Webb (1989), one of the few researchers who has examined aspects of the adult
lives of wholly or partly home-educated people, found that all who had attempted
higher education were successful and that their socialization was often better
than that of their schooled peers.

REFERENCES
Aiex, Patrick K. (1994). Home Schooling, Socialization, and Creativity in
Children. [ED 367 040]

Bliss, Barbara A. (1989). Home Education: a Look at Current Practices. Research
Project, Michigan State University. [ED304 233]

Mayberry, Maralee (1991). Conflict and Social Determinism: The Reprivatization
of Education. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association
Meeting (Chicago). [ED 330 107]

Preiss, Jane S. (1989). Home Schooling: What's That? Paper presented at the
Mid-South Educational Research Association Meeting (Little Rock). [ED 314
856]

Stough, Lee (1992). Social and Emotional Status of Home Schooled Children
and Conventionally Schooled Children in West Virginia. M.S. Thesis, University
of West Virginia. [ED 353 079]

Taylor, John Wesley (1987). Self-Concept in Home Schooling Children (Doctoral
Dissertation, Andrews University, 1986). Dissertation Abstracts International,
47, 2809A.

Thomas, Karen (1994). "Learning at Home: Education outside School Gains Respect."
USA Today, April 6, 1994, 5D.

Webb, Julie (1989). "The Outcomes of Home-Based Education: Employment and
Other Issues." Educational Review, 41(2), 121-33. [EJ 393 193]

Nanc

Oct 10, 2001, 8:13:03 AM10/10/01
Well said Kelly, I couldn't agree with you more.
Nanc

Kelly

Oct 10, 2001, 8:43:42 AM10/10/01

"Nanc" <bill...@mediaone.net> wrote

> Well said Kelly, I couldn't agree with you more.
> Nanc

Thanks Nanc.

Kelly

D.Spiegel

Oct 10, 2001, 10:23:57 AM10/10/01
It is so hard to remember the details of the teachers in my life. So I guess
none of them had too big of an impact on me in a negative way. I remember some
positives, but not with great detail.
5th Grade Miss Cameron-- A brand new and absolutely gorgeous teachers. I t was
both great as well as unfair for our emerging sexual awareness to have such a
fetching teacher in the room.
8th Grade Mr. Cappetta-- A Yankees fan so as a Met Fan I argued incessantly
with him.
HS- Mr. Szeles-- Science teacher, soccer and track coach. He was just a decent
guy. I still go watch his soccer team play once in awhile.
College- Steve Cobb-- A brilliant sociologist and the man who took Marx from
boogeyman status to great thinker status for me.
Seminary-- Tom McDaniel-- A masterful Hebrew scholar and an all araound good
guy.

Dave Spiegel

D.Spiegel

Oct 10, 2001, 10:34:37 AM10/10/01
>After reading this thread, if I ever have kids, I'd be very tempted to want
>to do home schooling; at least I'd trust in the teacher's competance, sanity,
>and concern for kids' well being :).
>
>Tom

I am a firm believer in the public school system. I was raised in a good one,
and currently have my kids in a not so good one. The key for me is parental
involvement. I am never shy about pointing out both the good and bad to school
administrators where my kids attend. There was a teachers strike last year, I
called the govenor.
I also am able to be involved in my kids classrooms, because I have a flexible
schedule. Not all people find this level of invlovement possible, I know that
I am lucky to have the opportunity. As for Montessorri schools, they can work
in an ideal, but my involvement with Montesorri "graduates" has always been
trying and difficult.. In Christian circles there is a renewed emphasis on
either Christian schooling or home schooling. I support neither for my kids.
I want them in public schools where they will be both challenged and engaged
socially and academically in the public context. I also worry about them until
I know that they are home safely in my house. That wouldn't be any different
in a private school though. I figure they get faith at home and at church.
Just a rambling response from my end of the world.

Dave Spiegel

Dixon Hayes

Oct 10, 2001, 11:22:06 AM10/10/01
Dave wrote:

>The key for me is parental
>involvement. I am never shy about pointing out both the good and bad to
>school
>administrators where my kids attend.

Believe it or not, despite having more than my share of the teachers from hell,
I am *still* a firm believer in the public school system, yes, even here in
Alabama. That's because I have seen the potential when I was growing up, and
have seen the direction in which schools have gone now.
As I indicated earlier, I also believe the nastiest, more incompetent teachers
I had represented an outdated philosphy of teacher-student relationships.

My daughter is being home schooled by her mother (for religious reasons I
think), and I am still not sure how I feel about that. I accept Tom's research
that it won't negatively affect her, but I still wish she had more friends her
age around her. At least she would be exposed to more viewpoints than just her
mother's.

Naz Reyes

Oct 10, 2001, 4:53:04 PM10/10/01
I think some teachers enjoy controlling kids and humiliating them for their own
satisfaction. A lot of them did that to me when I was younger and FINALLY got
one of them in my 7th grade typing class (long story) :-)

-Naz

Naz Reyes

Oct 10, 2001, 5:14:52 PM10/10/01

rach wrote:

> This was almost the same speech my dad gave me when I was in about the same
> grade. A boy was teasing me and pushing, hitting ... that kind of thing. Now
> I know it was because he liked me (I ran into him at a bar a few years ago
> and he told me this) but back then I was scared to go out of the school. My
> dad had enough of my mom telling me to ignore it (hard to ignore tears in a
> kids eyes...) and took me downstairs and taught me to box.

LOL Rach, our dad must be the same!!! :-)

My dad taught me how to box, also, when I was about 7 or 8, after coming home
crying and telling him that a boy tried to fight me. My dad kept telling me
that only sissies cry, and that he doesn't want to see me going home crying like
a little baby again. He told my big brother (he's 2 years older) to practice
boxing and wrestling with me everyday from that day on and my brother and I
became closer because of that. A few years later, my big brother pissed me off
royally (he's always been a bully since I was a kid) so I popped him in the
mouth, wrestled him to the ground, and told him that if calls me a "fag" once
more that I'd kill him :-)

He never bothered me again from that day on and we became real good friends
after that :-)

> A few weeks
> later, Spencer started again. He pushed my buttons the last time and I laid
> him out flat. Never bothered me after that. I think school is more about
> people learning than book learning and as long as the kid sees that, then
> all it cool.

Rach, I'm gonna say it again. You really sound like my sister! :-)

-Naz

> --
>
> rach

Naz Reyes

Oct 10, 2001, 5:21:13 PM10/10/01

Beatlfilms wrote:

> The other one that stands out was Mrs. Barnes, who had a thyroid condition. One
> day she was standing at the chalkboard and just snapped -- flinging a stack of
> books from one end of the room to the other before screaming at the top of her
> lungs (and I quote), "You're all a bunch of fucking dildos!" Then, she stalked
> over to my table and said, "Shawn, I sense you're mentally flipping me off." I
> replied something to the effect of "Would ya like to see the real thing, you
> nutcake?" and she burst into tears and asked the class, "Is it true you all
> hate me like Shawn says?" At that point I stood up, tossed the table over and
> walked out. Knowing the vice principal on a fairly personal basis, I stormed
> into his office and announced that Mrs. Barnes was quite insane. I recounted my
> story for him, he had me tell it again to the principal (nothing like getting
> say a phrase like "fucking dildos" to the head honcho of the school!) and
> nowadays Mrs. Barnes sells real estate.
>
> Shawn

LOL...*that* woman sounds like the woman in "American Beauty"! "I'm not gonna be a
victim...I'm not gonna be a victim!" :-)

-Naz

Dixon Hayes

Oct 10, 2001, 7:35:12 PM10/10/01
Naz wrote:

>A lot of them did that to me when I was younger and FINALLY got
>one of them in my 7th grade typing class (long story) :-)

Well, I'm not going anywhere, let's hear it!

Beatlfilms

Oct 10, 2001, 7:57:38 PM10/10/01
Naz Reyes said:

>LOL...*that* woman sounds like the woman in "American Beauty"! "I'm not
>gonna be a
>victim...I'm not gonna be a victim!" :-)

Quite similar in fact, now that you mention it!

Shawn

Sandy

Oct 10, 2001, 7:57:56 PM10/10/01
> Ms. Grant, who
>was the best teacher I ever had in highschool. She was sort of hippie-ish
>and reminded me of Barbra Streisand- hey Sandy was in that class with me!!
>Wasn't she the coolest teacher in CRLS??

Yeah, she was one of the best! She always reminded me more of Carol King...
I loved Mr. Finn too. He was such a sweet heart!

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

Heather

Oct 10, 2001, 7:55:42 PM10/10/01
Two MAJOR hags--Mrs Neff, and Mrs. Gerber. And some angels--Mrs. Jewel and
Mrs. Grant and Mrs. Windt. They will be remembered always.

--
Suffer fools lightly. Then place in a dry pan
and bake at 375 degrees for twenty minutes.

"Trittboy" <Trit...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> I was reminiscing with old high school friends about teachers from our
> youth who made an impression on us, both good and bad. Just wondering
> if anyone has any good stories?
>
> Mrs. Kopeche, 1st grade teacher. Mean. Just a hag. Totally resembled
> Miss Gulch from "Wizard of Oz" with a charm-free personality to match.
> I remember one time when I was in Kindergarten, I was walking into the
> school and Mrs. Kopeche was standing there, all witch-like, with her
> arms crossed. She saw my shoes were untied and told me to tie them.
> Well, I hadn't really mastered the whole shoe-tying process yet, so I
> was near tears when she demanded I tie them. She made me stand behind
> this door until I tied them. Instead, I just tucked the laces in my
> shoes and went running. (I was half-way expecting one of her
> winged-monkeys to swoop me up.)
>
> Mrs. Schwartz, 5th grade teacher. I didn't have her for 'my' teacher,
> but some of my friends did. Oh man, was this woman uptight. She acted
> like she had a big ole telephone pole up her ass all the time. She's one
> of those people that was probably only about 35 back then, but looked
> about 60 because of her grumpy demeanor. Chronically crabby!. Seems
> like everytime we walked past her class, we would look in and see the
> entire class with their heads down on their desks. Of course, Cruella
> DeVille had gotten pissed at something and was constantly repremanding
> the class.
>
> The big shock was one day seeing Mrs. Schwartz and noticing she was
> PREGNANT!! We all just wondered in disbelief: HOW CAN THIS BE?!!
>
> Tritt

Naz Reyes

Oct 10, 2001, 9:32:18 PM10/10/01
Well, ok, since you asked :)

See, I was taking this typing class in the 7th grade, and I just happened
to have the "wicked witch of the North" as a teacher. Everyone was afraid
of her. She never smiled, never tolerated tardiness (she told us NOT to
bother showing up in class if we were to be late), and always gave
after-school detention to people who talked in class.

Anyhow, I showed up one day in class, took a seat in my chair and started
YAPPING away to 2 or 3 people next to me. Class started and I was still
having my last minute chat with one of my friends, and all of a sudden my
teacher SMACKED my arm with a ruler that looked like it was 5 feet long!
I stood up, STARED at the teacher, pointed my finger at her and told her,
"you're gonna be sorry for this. I'm reporting you to the principal!". I
went straight to the door and SLAMMED the door as hard as I could and went
straight to the principal's office.

I went and talked to the principal and told him that my teacher used a
five foot ruler and hit me with it on my arm. I even showed the principal
the RED MARK from the ruler, and the principal was NOT very happy.

To make a long story short, my teacher got reprimand and my principal
requested to see my parents for a conference, and so on.

Next day, I saw my teacher with a HUGE SMILE on her face, and saying good
morning to everyone :-)

-Naz

Dixon Hayes

Oct 10, 2001, 9:54:11 PM10/10/01
Naz wrote:

> I even showed the principal
>the RED MARK from the ruler, and the principal was NOT very happy.
>
>To make a long story short, my teacher got reprimand and my principal
>requested to see my parents for a conference, and so on.

In my hometown in the 1970s the teacher would've gotten a raise and a
nomination for "teacher of the year". Cool that it worked out that way for
you. :-)

Sunshine State

Oct 11, 2001, 3:11:18 AM10/11/01
"Glory, glory, hallelujah,
Teacher hit me with a ruler . . . "

Sunshine State

Oct 11, 2001, 3:13:50 AM10/11/01
Reminds me of the intro to "Another Brick in the Wall," which video
they just played on VH-1 Classic Rock . . .

Sunshine State

Oct 11, 2001, 3:18:55 AM10/11/01
Our Spanish teacher in eighth grade had a nervous breakdown in front of
us one day. She just kept laughing and laughing and laughing and would
not stop. It was first period class too. She ignored girls putting makeup
on, ignored our playing "Dulcinea" which was prohibited then, and just
kept giggling all period. An hour or so later she was giggling in the hall
with another teacher and the vice principal, who were stern faced.
The rest of her classes had a substitute teacher that day.

She never did return to the classroom.

Trittboy wrote:

> Miss Erion was our Spanish teacher in 8th grade. A surprisingly small
> amount of students had signed up for Spanish that year and Miss Erion's
> job was kind of on the line.
>
> I'll never forget the first day. She gave an assignment and all of us
> complained. She said "If any of you want to quit this class, you're
> free to leave right now!". Several of us stood up to leave and her
> eyes got as big as pinatas.
>
> She quickly goes "...HOWEVER, today is a Spanish holiday and we're going
> to celebrate with donuts." We all immediately sat down.
>
> Now, I never really mastered the Spanish language, but one thing I 'did'
> learn that year is that they sure have A LOT of holidays---all of which
> are celebrated with donuts from Red Owl.
>
> Senor Tritt

Sunshine State

Oct 11, 2001, 3:19:43 AM10/11/01
We had one teacher who would suddenly whirl around from the blackboard
and fling an eraser at anyone talking.

Nanc wrote:

> That's quite a story Nadine! Especially the ending.....I had a teacher in
> 6th grade named Mr. Dunn. He used to get his jollies by chasing a heavy boy
> in our class. He would pick up huge, hardcover books and throw them at him.
> I remember us all thinking it was all in fun because he never hit him. Now I
> can still the fear on this poor boys face and it makes me ashamed for
> laughing back then. The poor kid :-(
> Nanc

Sunshine State

Oct 11, 2001, 3:41:42 AM10/11/01
We had a sub named "Miss Sorcher," and we always called her "Miss SCORCHER"
because of her demeanor. I remember one day going
to class and she started off, "The last class put me into a bad mood, and
now that is YOUR problem." Yikes.

A few years later she got married and became totally opposite, very nice
and pleasant. It was like Ms. Bricker from Porky's, almost!

WiNK wrote:

> [...]
> > an adult. Oh, and Mrs. Pruet once berated me in front of the class over
> > allegations of "destruction of school property" (my history book had a
> slight
> > tear in it, and was due to be replace the following year anyway). Bitch.
> >
> > Mr. Webb, shop teacher--Hateful old man who adored playing mind games. He
> > couldn't just get onto someone or punish them on the spot, oh no, he had
> > stop class long enough to play with the guy's mind and humiliate them. He
> once
> > threw away two wooden candle holders I made because "I didn't want those
> things
> > in my shop." Bastard. If I never see him again it'll *still* be too
> soon. We
> > called him "hog ears" behind his back. We should have called him "gila
> > monster" after the tobacco he was always spitting.

Nanc

Oct 11, 2001, 2:19:14 PM10/11/01
Hi Dave,
Haven't seen you post in a while. I also have my daughter in public school
and I am also lucky enough that I have time to be involved in the school.
I'm curious about your comment regarding the Montessori graduates. What sort
of problems did you see?
Nanc

MartiDave

Oct 11, 2001, 2:54:33 PM10/11/01
In article <Colx7.105939$vq.21...@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>, "Nanc"
<bill...@mediaone.net> writes:

Been very busy. We live about 50miles from NYC and the community I pastor in
has several financial district workers, so I have been busy. My comments in
regards to Montessori are based only on personal interactions. I have not done
any extensive lit reviews or research to back me up. The Montessori grads I
dealt with were incredibly self-absorbed and were unable to coroborate on
projects with a larger group. The parents that I have interacted with were also
hard to work with. But, like I said, this is just my limited experience.

Dave Spiegel

Crazy Fingers

Oct 11, 2001, 6:17:14 PM10/11/01
I started out in a Montessori school when I lived in California. When we
moved to Minnesota, I was halfway through first grade. They didn't have
Montessori schools here at the time. I had a tough time adjusting to "the
system". I couldn't understand why I couldn't go to the library whenever I
wanted to, or go play outside when I felt like it -- that was what we had
done in my old school. I eventually did adjust, but I admit, I can be
self-absorbed at times, and work better as an individual than as part of a
team. Maybe that's why I choose to write. I don't know. In defense of
Montessori schools, my experience was that I learned better in an
unstructured environment than in the public school system.

Who knows, maybe I just was born to have a problem with "the man".
"MartiDave" <jun...@aol.combos> wrote in message

Naz Reyes

Oct 11, 2001, 6:46:51 PM10/11/01
Now I know why that album affected me so much :-)

-Naz

Naz Reyes

Oct 11, 2001, 6:54:42 PM10/11/01
That proves my theory about people who haven't "gotten any" in a long time. She
obviously just needed to get her "cobwebs" dusted a bit! LOL :-)

-Naz

Nanc

Oct 11, 2001, 7:57:28 PM10/11/01
Dave would you mind emailing me sometime? I have a personal question I'd
like to ask your opinion on...
Thanks,
Nanc