Lava Lamp questions

RobertC

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
(1) Why does the lava keep moving around. Why doesn't it just settle on the
top or bottom? Temperature is constant.

(2) What is the "lava" and liquid made of?

(3) Is the semi-conical shape necessary to the lamp's performance? I'd like
to see some lava lamps that are cylindrical or spherical, or would they work
right?

(4) You know those glitter lamps they make - is the light/heat necessary for
the glitter?

Thanks

R.C.

azure

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00

RobertC <rc...@presol.com> wrote in message

> (1) Why does the lava keep moving around. Why doesn't it just settle on
the
> top or bottom? Temperature is constant.

don't know

> (2) What is the "lava" and liquid made of?

broke one once to find out-appears to be a substance quite similar to
wax-may even be wax

> (3) Is the semi-conical shape necessary to the lamp's performance? I'd
like
> to see some lava lamps that are cylindrical or spherical, or would they
work
> right?

don't know

> (4) You know those glitter lamps they make - is the light/heat necessary
for
> the glitter?

not sure what a glitter lamp is

azure

> Thanks
>
> R.C.

Teu...@webtv.net

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
Go to www.oozinggoo.com for the history, formula, & function of Lava
Lites.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger'
- Friedrick Nietzsche

Dick Long

Oct 10, 2000, 8:37:12 PM10/10/00
On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:00:31 -0700, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
self-styled hero wrote:

>(1) Why does the lava keep moving around. Why doesn't it just settle on the
>top or bottom? Temperature is constant.
>

>(2) What is the "lava" and liquid made of?
>

>(3) Is the semi-conical shape necessary to the lamp's performance? I'd like
>to see some lava lamps that are cylindrical or spherical, or would they work
>right?
>

>(4) You know those glitter lamps they make - is the light/heat necessary for
>the glitter?

These items are all on a need to know basis. Sorry. Please file a
Freedom of Information form at the Pentagon and you will be contacted
regarding your inquiry. This query has been forwarded to the CIA.

;)

DL

"belive me I am nothing to bragg about so dont waste all your time.®"
"it seems like every boddy trys to be politicly incorect these days®"
- grapetastebasted

"Jefferies sucks!"
- Public Domain

"One of the most moronic sports fans on Earth!®"
- Mike Fletcher

Winner of the "Name the Little Fool" contest!!!®
- OMF

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

Zep77

Oct 10, 2000, 10:16:58 PM10/10/00
they are made of parafin wax and the liquid is oil.there is a metal coil that
heats the bottom of the lamp,and when the wax heats up it rises.when it cools
off it drops back down.
simple,but amazingly cool idea.

Mike

Hagrinas Mivali

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
In article <20001010221658...@ng-cb1.aol.com>,

That, and the temperature throughout is NOT constant. The coil (bulb)
end is hot. The top end is almost as hot, but cooler.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

RobertC

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
If oozinggoo.com is accurate, the liquid is water, not oil.

For those of you who wondered what a glitter lamp is:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rainbowsymphony/glitterlamp.html

R.C.

Hagrinas Mivali <disc...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> In article <20001010221658...@ng-cb1.aol.com>,

Mike Canzoneri

Oct 13, 2000, 2:39:09 AM10/13/00
RobertC wrote:

> (1) Why does the lava keep moving around. Why doesn't it just settle on the
> top or bottom? Temperature is constant.

Mine hardly ever worked correctly and eventually the lava did just settle in one
big lump at the bottom and never floated upward again. I must have had the only
lemon lava lamp. Anybody have any good ideas of what to do with a broken lava
lamp?

***********************************
Mike Canzoneri
Austin, TX

** Do they still play the blues in Chicago **
** When baseball season rolls around **
** When the snow melts away do the Cubbies still play **
** In their ivy covered burial ground **
** **
** When I was a boy they were my pride and joy **
** But now they only bring fatigue **
** To the home of the brave, the land of the free **
** And the doormat of the National League **
** **
** Steve Goodman - from A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request **

Dixon Hayes

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
Mike Canzoneri wrote:

>Mine hardly ever worked correctly and eventually the lava did just settle in
>one
>big lump at the bottom and never floated upward again. I must have had the
>only
>lemon lava lamp. Anybody have any good ideas of what to do with a broken lava
>lamp?

Try throwing your pet rock at it. ;-)

Dixon
"You never know when another beast might come down out of the forest!"
--Barney Fife, legendary lawman

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html