First record?

The Night Hawk

Nov 14, 2001, 6:26:43 PM11/14/01
I was wondering if anyone remembered the first record
that they every bought or owned?
My first 45 rpm was Badfinger's Baby Blue,
and my first LP was Don McLean's American Pie

Thinking back about them I have to chuckle in
shame, for you see, I didn't buy them. I remember
being young and broke, and (hanging head in
shame) I put them under my heavy winter coat
and walked out of the store with them.
Everyting I hear American Pie I think about that.
I was a bad boy....

The Night Hawk
Clearwater FL

Naz Reyes

Nov 14, 2001, 6:46:19 PM11/14/01

The Night Hawk wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone remembered the first record
> that they every bought or owned?
> My first 45 rpm was Badfinger's Baby Blue,
> and my first LP was Don McLean's American Pie

My first 45s were "If You Leave Me Now" by Chicago and "Play That Funky
Music" by Wild Cherry. First album was a "clearance LP" for $.99 and it
was "Mothership Connection" by Parliament/Funkadelic...LOL.

> Thinking back about them I have to chuckle in
> shame, for you see, I didn't buy them. I remember
> being young and broke, and (hanging head in
> shame) I put them under my heavy winter coat
> and walked out of the store with them.
> Everyting I hear American Pie I think about that.
> I was a bad boy....

Boy...do we have memories of *those* I "walked out" with a 45 (sheesh,
it could've been an 8-track! LOL) and (don't laugh) it was a 45 of
"Disco Duck"! Just kidding, it was "You Should Be Dancing" by the Bee
Gees :-)

My dad gave me a LOOONG talk after the cops called him. But, the
greatest thing that came out of it was when my dad brought me to the
record store the next day and bought me LOTS of 45s, LPs, and 8-tracks
the next day! LOL :-)

My excuse was that he NEVER bought me any records and tapes so I had to
GET THEM myself! LOL!!!

-Naz

Crazy Fingers

Nov 14, 2001, 6:49:12 PM11/14/01
The first I ever owned was probably "Mellow Yellow" by Donovan, or "Rock and
Roll" (Parts One and Two) by Gary Glitter. Both of these would have been
45's. Not counting my Sesame Street records as a child, of course. The first
I bought with my own money, I believe, was "Dumb Ditties", a K-Tel
compilation of novelty songs.

--
United We Stand
Dustin
"The Night Hawk" <rroe...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

missjane

Nov 14, 2001, 7:08:00 PM11/14/01
"I Want to Hold Your Hand," by The Beatles.

Second one: "Honey," Bobby Goldsboro

gimme a break. I was, like, 6. :)

jane

PS Still have all my 45s and albums.

The Night Hawk

Nov 14, 2001, 7:33:08 PM11/14/01
On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:46:19 -0500, Naz Reyes <n...@american.edu>
wrote:

>Boy...do we have memories of *those* I "walked out" with a 45 (sheesh,
>it could've been an 8-track! LOL) and (don't laugh) it was a 45 of
>"Disco Duck"! Just kidding, it was "You Should Be Dancing" by the Bee
>Gees :-)
>
>My dad gave me a LOOONG talk after the cops called him. But, the
>greatest thing that came out of it was when my dad brought me to the
>record store the next day and bought me LOTS of 45s, LPs, and 8-tracks
>the next day! LOL :-)
>
>My excuse was that he NEVER bought me any records and tapes so I had to
>GET THEM myself! LOL!!!
>
>-Naz

Boy, talk about falling the proverbial fertlizer and coming out
smelling like a rose!

Raphael

Nov 14, 2001, 8:27:15 PM11/14/01

The Night Hawk <rroe...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> I was wondering if anyone remembered the first record
> that they every bought or owned?
> My first 45 rpm was Badfinger's Baby Blue,
> and my first LP was Don McLean's American Pie

First album: "Jungle Book" (the Disney movie soundtrack)
First non-Disney/etc album: Sound Explosion (gotta love K-Tel)
First 45: "Saturday Night/Marlena" - Bay City Rollers - 99 cents at Woolco,
my friends & I trudged through a blizzard to buy that song. Turned out, I
liked the flip side better. <G>

Erin ">

James Dobrovicz

Nov 14, 2001, 9:41:03 PM11/14/01
My parents had loads and loads of 45s, plus my grandfather owned a bar and
the jukebox guy let him keep the records when they came out of the jukebox
so I got most of those too, so it's hard for me to remember which one was
the first 45 I actually bought. I'm thinking maybe "Boogie Fever" or "Hot
Line" by the Sylvers or <gasp> "Disco Duck."

As for albums, I really don't remember anything before Saturday Night Fever.

And I still have all my records too . . . LOL

-- James C. Dobrovicz

Peter Marshall: What is the name of the instrument with the light on the end
of it that the doctor sticks in your ear?
Paul Lynde: A cigarette!
-- from "Hollywood Squares" (1978)

rach

Nov 14, 2001, 10:27:28 PM11/14/01
My first album (and one I still own and know all the words to) was Now We
Are Six by A A Milne (winnie the pooh). My cousin schooled me at the age of
six or seven with Sex Pistols, went on to Eddie Grant and Parliament... the
first records I asked for was Men At Work... Business as Usual. Then my
first album bought was Do They Know Its Christmas , Duran Duran and a tape
of Colour By Numbers by Culture Club

--

rach
"cheer up, my brother, come live in the sunshine - we'll understand it all

Dixon Hayes

Nov 14, 2001, 11:14:08 PM11/14/01
Mine was "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies, and I got it on the back of a box of
Honeycombs. It was really cool, even if it did skip and jump a lot...I don't
expect the highest fidelity off a cereal box that was shipped from Michigan (or
wherever) to Alabama...

Dixon
===========
"I'm not standing in the stag line with Old Man Perkins and a bunch of
slumped-over teenaged boys!"
--Barney Fife

Classic Hollywood Squares: http://www.classicsquares.com

Anne

Nov 14, 2001, 11:55:46 PM11/14/01
<< Mine was "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies, and I got it on the back of a box of
Honeycombs. It was really cool, even if it did skip and jump a lot...I don't
expect the highest fidelity off a cereal box that was shipped from Michigan (or
wherever) to Alabama...

Dixon
=========== >>

Oh my gosh, Dixon!!! I remember those. That was probably my first record
too. Geez, the things you guys remind me of is sooo cool.

My first "real" 45 was "Will it Go Round in Circles." Rather pathetic story,
which I may have told before here.

It was the only record I owned and I used to carry it down the street to
Sandy's house to play it on her record player, since I didn't have one of my
own. One day, running home from her house, I dropped it and it cracked in
half. My whole collection was now gone. LOL

Anne :-)
Class of 1980

LizzieZ

Nov 15, 2001, 12:01:30 AM11/15/01
First record I bought with my own money was "Shaun Cassidy" -- yep, the one
with "Da Doo Ron Ron" and the "full-color poster" of him.

I also remember the records on the back of cereal boxes! But since we didn't
eat sugared cereals in my house growing up (save for Apple Jacks, go figure),
ours must have come off the Cheerios box. For the life of me don't know what
they were though.

One of the earliest records I remember having (that I didn't buy) was a Disney
record of children's songs from different countries. I think it was titled
"It's a Small World," and that was the U.S. song. I also learned "Funiculi,
Funicula" and "Frere Jacques" among others off that record.

Liz

KavisD

Nov 15, 2001, 12:47:19 AM11/15/01
"The Night Hawk" <rroe...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> I was wondering if anyone remembered the first record
> that they every bought or owned?

The first record ever given to me was the Beatles 20 Greatest Hits, back in
1982. That year, for Christmas, I got both the vinyl and cassette versions
(from different people, of course). And I still have both of them.

The first album that I ever bought was the cassette version of the Beatles'
'Rock & Roll Music Vol.2' album because I was hard core jonesin' to get my
hands on 'Helter Skelter' and 'Revolution'. Sometime soon after, I bought
my first Beatles vinyls - The White Album; Abbey Road; Revolver (US
version). I almost also bought Meet The Beatles that day, but I ran out of
money... ;>(

--

/------------
}B-) > --<////////>

The Wanderer

Nov 15, 2001, 9:48:45 AM11/15/01
Well, Michigan never was famous for much musically (other than Motown, Ted
Nugent and MC 5).

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"Dixon Hayes" <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Nov 15, 2001, 9:54:41 AM11/15/01
IIRC my first record bought EVER was Sould Twist by King Curtis. I was 9 and
thought that I was buying The Twist by Chubby Checker. I didn't know it was
the wrong record til I got home and boy was I pissed. I should have went to
the one store in the neighborhood that had those listening booths that you
see in the old movies. I think the singl cost me $.75.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

WiNK

Nov 15, 2001, 10:47:43 AM11/15/01
My first 45 was "Miss You," by the Stones. Weird thing is, I was buying LPs
before I was buying 45s. I don't know why...... because my first LP was
"Destroyer" by KISS....and didn't that come out in 1976??

Nadine

Kelly

Nov 15, 2001, 11:40:12 AM11/15/01

The Night Hawk wrote

> I was wondering if anyone remembered the first record
> that they every bought or owned?

I don't remember my first 45, but I do remember my first albums.

First non-kiddie albums given by Santa to go along with my first stereo

The OJAY's
Chicago - the album that looked like wood
Elton John - Friends

There are a few others also

The first album my sister and I pooled our money for

The Bay City Rollers

The first album I bought on my own

Bee Gees - Spirits Having Flown

Kelly

Nanc

Nov 15, 2001, 5:08:49 PM11/15/01
The first LP I bought with my babysitting money ( 1 dollar an hour ) was
Alice Cooper's: Welcome to my Nightmare. I couldn't go see him when he was
here recently

Nanc

MollyFa

Nov 15, 2001, 5:21:01 PM11/15/01
The first album I ever bought was "Double Fantasy" by John Lennon and Yoko Ono.
The first one I remember getting was the soundtrack to "Bugsey Malone".

Molly

Naz Reyes

Nov 15, 2001, 5:24:49 PM11/15/01
Michigan is famous for one word - MADONNA :-)

Oh...I think BOB SEGER is also from there.

-Naz

Sandy

Nov 15, 2001, 7:18:09 PM11/15/01
I *think* my first one was Lay A Little Lovin' On Me by Robin MacNamara. It
was a 45...and I still have it :)

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

The Wanderer

Nov 15, 2001, 9:09:02 PM11/15/01

"adc" <Ľ@˝.ľ> wrote in message

> 45rpm: Andy Gibb's 1978 hit "(Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away."
> This came with a high-pitched noise. Cheap vinyl, I guess...

I thought that was his voice.

Crazy Fingers

Nov 15, 2001, 9:53:17 PM11/15/01
I thought Bob Seger was from Canada. Oh well. Unfortunately, Michigan is
also famous for Kid Rock.

--
United We Stand
Dustin

"Naz Reyes" <n...@american.edu> wrote in message

Jeff Troutman

Nov 15, 2001, 9:44:10 PM11/15/01
"The Night Hawk" <rroe...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone remembered the first record
> that they every bought or owned?

My first LP was a Monkees compilation sold through TV. The first one I
bought with my own money was Traffic's Best Of.

My first 45, IIRC, was Loverboy's "Turn Me Loose", which I got for a quarter
at a Junior Achievement convention. I own very few singles, actually,
being more of an LP/CD guy.

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

Nov 15, 2001, 9:45:35 PM11/15/01

And who could forget the immortal GRAND FUNK RAILROAD?

And if you have, could you tell me how you managed to do it?

Jeff Troutman

"Naz Reyes" <n...@american.edu> wrote in message

The Wanderer

The Man From Mars

Nov 16, 2001, 1:44:46 AM11/16/01
My first 45 was Juniors Farm/Sally G Paul McCartney and Wings.

My first LP was THE BEATLES 1962-1966

:)

The Night Hawk <rroe...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> I was wondering if anyone remembered the first record
> that they every bought or owned?

Jack Pagel

Nov 16, 2001, 9:29:46 AM11/16/01
My first 45 was "Under My Thumb" by the Rolling Stones.
If I remember correctly, my first LP was "For Ladies Only" by
Steppenwolf. I,ve bought only a few 8-tracks, but the first one was
American Pie by Don McLean

C# or you'll Bb

Dixon Hayes

Nov 16, 2001, 11:23:08 AM11/16/01
Oddly enough, I have no clue as to what my first LP was...I have answered that
one several different ways before.

But I do remember my first pre-recorded cassette: "Double Fantasy" by John
Lennon and Yoko Ono.

Dixon

Tiny Dancer

Nov 16, 2001, 11:29:29 AM11/16/01
And so the word went out from The Night Hawk <rroe...@tampabay.rr.com>:

>I was wondering if anyone remembered the first record that they
>every bought or owned?

First 45: "Lonely Room (Theme from 'The Apartment')" by Ferrante and
Teicher and "Playground In My Mind" by Clint Holmes on the same day.
I still have them both.

First album: Elton's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" the day it was released.

>Thinking back about them I have to chuckle in shame, for you see,
>I didn't buy them. I remember being young and broke, and (hanging
>head in shame) I put them under my heavy winter coat and walked
>out of the store with them. Everyting I hear American Pie I think about
>that. I was a bad boy....

Golly gee, you didn't mention that you were a low-down thief when you
announced yourself, Ray, tsk, tsk, TSK! Yeah, right, like we didn't all pull
a little five finger discount in our day :-) I know I did, oh the shame! I never
tried with a whole *album*, though, that's gutsy. 8-tracks and singles were
much easier!

Cheers,

TD

When this old world gets me down
And there's no love to be found
I close my eyes and soon I find
I'm in a playground in my mind
Where the children laugh and the children play
And we sing a song all day
from Clint Holmes' "Playground In My Mind"

For a good time call
http://the70s.cjb.net

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_Dancer/index.html

Dawna

Nov 16, 2001, 1:23:18 PM11/16/01
Ahem, how about the Michigan dude himself? Bob Seger!!!!!! He weren't just
a singer for Chevy ads, teehee!
~~Dawna

The Wanderer <rosieon...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

Dawna

Nov 16, 2001, 1:24:04 PM11/16/01
Interesting, we all had another word for her . . .
~~Dawna

Naz Reyes <n...@american.edu> wrote in message

Dawna

Nov 16, 2001, 1:27:46 PM11/16/01
Well, heck, I guess it's time for me to confess (again) ARG! My first
record was The Partridge Family's Update. Ahem. There, now I said it, ok?
But daily I listened to Led Zep, Beatles, and Steppenwolf etc, getting my
dose of "real" rock 'n' roll from my older brothers. :)
~~Dawna

The Night Hawk <rroe...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> I was wondering if anyone remembered the first record
> that they every bought or owned?

> My first 45 rpm was Badfinger's Baby Blue,
> and my first LP was Don McLean's American Pie
>

> Thinking back about them I have to chuckle in
> shame, for you see, I didn't buy them. I remember
> being young and broke, and (hanging head in
> shame) I put them under my heavy winter coat
> and walked out of the store with them.
> Everyting I hear American Pie I think about that.
> I was a bad boy....
>

> The Night Hawk
> Clearwater FL

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Sandy

Nov 16, 2001, 3:17:44 PM11/16/01
>Well, heck, I guess it's time for me to confess (again) ARG! My first
>record was The Partridge Family's Update.

Yell it from the mountains and be proud girl!!!!! :)
Yeah, I forgot to mention that my first LP was The Partridge Family Album. AND
I have it on cd now :)

Sandy

Nov 16, 2001, 3:16:04 PM11/16/01
>Interesting, we all had another word for her . . .
>~~Dawna

LOL! I like that! :) (sorry Naz!)

>Michigan is famous for one word - MADONNA :-)

Naz Reyes

Nov 16, 2001, 5:03:13 PM11/16/01
Hmm...I know it starts with a B...ummm...BEAUTIFUL? :-)

-Naz

Naz Reyes

Nov 16, 2001, 5:04:06 PM11/16/01

Sandy wrote:

>>Interesting, we all had another word for her . . .
>>~~Dawna
>>

> LOL! I like that! :) (sorry Naz!)

Nothing to be sorry for, Sandy. I'm pretty sure she *knows* it, too,
and wouldn't have it any other way :-)

-Naz

Tiny Dancer

Nov 16, 2001, 5:16:26 PM11/16/01
And so the word went out from "Jeff Troutman" <yourhe...@starpower.net>:

>And who could forget the immortal GRAND FUNK RAILROAD?
>
>And if you have, could you tell me how you managed to do it?

Indeedy. Just looking for an excuse to use the .sig! ;-)

Cheers,

TD

Nobody knows the band Grand Funk? The wild shirtless lyrics
of Mark Farner?! The bong-rattling bass of Mel Schacher?!! The
competent drum work of Don Brewer?!!! Oh, man!
(car stops and the kids scramble to get out fast)
For more information on Grand Funk consult your school library!
Homer Simpson

The Night Hawk

Nov 16, 2001, 6:13:44 PM11/16/01
On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 21:45:35 -0500, "Jeff Troutman"
<yourhe...@starpower.net> wrote:

>And who could forget the immortal GRAND FUNK RAILROAD?
>
>And if you have, could you tell me how you managed to do it?
>
>Jeff Troutman

I know I'll never forget them.... saw them back around '74, had
front frow left seats... my hearing has been shot ever since.
They were awsome.

Naz Reyes

Nov 16, 2001, 6:22:57 PM11/16/01

Jeff Troutman wrote:

> And who could forget the immortal GRAND FUNK RAILROAD?
>
> And if you have, could you tell me how you managed to do it?
>
> Jeff Troutman

Well...lemme see if I could make up a good excuse...hmmm...ummm...they
didn't have any HITS *after* 1975? :-)

-Naz

Crazy Fingers

Nov 16, 2001, 11:23:34 PM11/16/01
You might be right Buddy. I have no verification on that; I just thought I
heard it somewhere.

--
United We Stand
Dustin

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

Dawna

Nov 16, 2001, 11:32:40 PM11/16/01

Sandy <sand...@aol.com> wrote in message

I have it on CD now too, and I was surprised that I still enjoy it. <blush>
~~Dawna

> Sandy
>
> 2-60
> Class of 78

Dawna

Nov 16, 2001, 11:31:01 PM11/16/01

> Sandy wrote:
>
> >>Interesting, we all had another word for her . . .
> >>~~Dawna
> >>

> > LOL! I like that! :) (sorry Naz!)
>

> Nothing to be sorry for, Sandy. I'm pretty sure she *knows* it, too,
> and wouldn't have it any other way :-)
>
> -Naz

You are probably right, Mr. Naz!
~~Dawna

> >>Michigan is famous for one word - MADONNA :-)
> >>

> > Sandy
> >
> > 2-60
> > Class of 78

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Sandy

Nov 17, 2001, 12:37:06 PM11/17/01
>The Partridge Family Album.
>AND
>> I have it on cd now :)
>>

>I have it on CD now too, and I was surprised that I still enjoy it. <blush>
>~~Dawna

Well that just goes to show what good taste you have my dear :)

Sandy

Nov 17, 2001, 12:50:15 PM11/17/01
And I saw them three years ago and they're *still* awesome!! I never miss a
chance to catch Mark Farner when he comes around here. Last time was the
summer before last. I love watching that guy! :)

Jeff Troutman

Nov 17, 2001, 3:14:20 PM11/17/01
"Naz Reyes" <n...@american.edu> wrote:

> Jeff Troutman wrote:
>
> > And who could forget the immortal GRAND FUNK RAILROAD?
> >
> > And if you have, could you tell me how you managed to do it?
> >

> Well...lemme see if I could make up a good excuse...hmmm...ummm...they
> didn't have any HITS *after* 1975? :-)

Ok. We'll let it go.....this time.

But don't leave town.

Jeff Troutman

The Wanderer

Sandy

Nov 17, 2001, 9:59:18 PM11/17/01
LOL! No conceit here! :)

The Wanderer

Naz Reyes

Nov 18, 2001, 5:50:01 PM11/18/01
Oh yes, I remember that word...it starts with CUN....

ummmm....hmmmm....CUNNING? :-)

-Naz

Dawna

Nov 19, 2001, 12:09:42 AM11/19/01
I, myself, was not thinking of anything that starts with a C, tho I am
enjoying your word play. LOL
~~Dawna