1970's Hotrods

Smokin' Dave

Sep 10, 2000, 6:06:00 PM9/10/00
Muscle cars. Street machines. If you were a teenage guy growing up in
the Seventies, it was a *must* to own one of these, and it was cooler
to be able to say you built it yourself. Of course, no muscle car was
complete without cool accesories. Anybody want to talk about them?
Let's build a car, right here....

A couple of my contributions: Air shocks, preferably Highjackers. If
your after-school job didn't pay enough for these, shackles would
suffice.

50's series tires: Those wide suckers. More rubber meant more
traction. It also meant another notch up the coolness scale. Forget
'78's. 70's didn't cut it. 60's......maybe. With 50's, you were cool,
no matter what kind of car you drove.

a_nate...@my-deja.com

Sep 11, 2000, 11:10:44 AM9/11/00
In article <39d103b9...@news.msy.bellsouth.net>,

Anything "Hemi". I lived in San Diego and my brother and I would go to
Bakersfield just to cruise.

I don't care what anyone says, it is and will always be the cruise
capital of the world.

I've also cruised the "miracle mile".

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Dennis McGee

Sep 11, 2000, 4:04:16 PM9/11/00

>Muscle cars. Street machines. If you were a teenage guy growing up in
>the Seventies, it was a *must* to own one of these, and it was cooler
>to be able to say you built it yourself. Of course, no muscle car was
>complete without cool accesories. Anybody want to talk about them?
>Let's build a car, right here....

I get Esquire magazine and I enjoyed a little snippet in this month's issue
about the old Datsun 240-Z:

"Back in 1970, when it was still Datsun, Nissan gave us the 240Z
and instantly got vaulted to the rank of King of the Parking Lot.
Vettes were too ridiculous, Camaros too obvious, but the Z had a
way of sneaking up on you. Rolling up in your Z at Franklin D.
Roosevelt High School (or wherever you may have served time),
girlfriend with the 'Tommy' T-shirt in the passenger seat, 'Child
in Time' blaring out over the aftermarket speakers -- admit it,
you were never cooler than you were at that particular moment."

--
_--_ "Combed my hair in a thousand ways,
/ `--''> ,,, but it came out looking just the same."
| / I I |||||||||[:::]
\ oo ,-._> ''' Super Seventies RockSite!
`--' http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/8678/

a_nate...@my-deja.com

Sep 11, 2000, 5:11:17 PM9/11/00
In article <dennmac-ya02408000R1109001504170001@news>,

> "Back in 1970, when it was still Datsun, Nissan gave us the 240Z
> and instantly got vaulted to the rank of King of the Parking Lot.
> Vettes were too ridiculous, Camaros too obvious, but the Z had a
> way of sneaking up on you. Rolling up in your Z at Franklin D.
> Roosevelt High School (or wherever you may have served time),
> girlfriend with the 'Tommy' T-shirt in the passenger seat, 'Child
> in Time' blaring out over the aftermarket speakers -- admit it,
> you were never cooler than you were at that particular moment."

I visualized and remember well. Thanks for the memory!

THE FURBY KING

Sep 11, 2000, 9:36:10 PM9/11/00
On Sun, 10 Sep 2000 22:06:00 GMT, smoki...@smokindave.com (Smokin'
Dave) wrote:

>Muscle cars. Street machines. If you were a teenage guy growing up in
>the Seventies, it was a *must* to own one of these, and it was cooler
>to be able to say you built it yourself. Of course, no muscle car was
>complete without cool accesories. Anybody want to talk about them?
>Let's build a car, right here....

My first car was a 1972 Oldsmobile 442 that I bought from a mechanic
in 1979. That car was in excellent stock condition, with less than
40,000 miles and just a tiny bit of surface rust on the fenders. I
paid $1,500 for it and I spent the better part of 2 summers making it
a true dream car. I removed all of the trim and chrome, and stripped
the paint down to bare metal >>> 3 coats of Acrylic Lacquer and lots
of hard work... I had a masterpiece >>> The only thing I did to boost
performance was to remove the manifolds and add headers to that 455 !
I removed the stock wheels and used Craigers with Dunlop GT Qualifier
60 series tires on back and 70's up front !!!

The sad part >>> I had just graduated from HS >>> it's the Summer of
1981 and I'm heading for Ocean City, MD the beach >>> that's when
the drunk in the van next to me decided I didn't exist and rammed me
at 60 + miles per hour, causing my Olds to do 3 rolls into oblivion !
Oh sure I got a few bucks from his insurance company >> and maybe even
the satisfaction of surviving that experience and watching the bum get
thrown in jail for a few days. But I continue to dream that one day
I'll find the time, maybe with my own son, to relive my youth and find
another Olds like that one and build it all over again !

I have made room in the garage !!! And US Air was taken over by
United... maybe I'll get a raise and be able to hit the road in
another 442 !

On a lighter note : I was really fascinated by the beauty of the
Oldsmobile because a neighbor of mine owned one of the rare 1972 Olds
442 Indy pace cars - The hardtop version !! I remember when he
brought it home from the dealer and how he used to wipe it down every
day with a chamois after washing it !!!

FK
"This is NOT your Father's Oldsmobile !"

Smokin' Dave

Sep 12, 2000, 1:09:49 AM9/12/00
On Mon, 11 Sep 2000 15:04:16 -0500, den...@InfoAveNoSpam.Net (Dennis
McGee) wrote:

> "Back in 1970, when it was still Datsun, Nissan gave us the 240Z
> and instantly got vaulted to the rank of King of the Parking Lot.
> Vettes were too ridiculous, Camaros too obvious, but the Z had a
> way of sneaking up on you. Rolling up in your Z at Franklin D.
> Roosevelt High School (or wherever you may have served time),
> girlfriend with the 'Tommy' T-shirt in the passenger seat, 'Child
> in Time' blaring out over the aftermarket speakers -- admit it,
> you were never cooler than you were at that particular moment."

A very cool car, but wouldn't you agree that that's cheating a little?
LOL

--
Smokin' Dave

Hell hath no coffee, no cigarettes.....
Smokin' Dave's Taxicab Diaries
http://www.smokindave.com

a_nate...@my-deja.com

Sep 12, 2000, 8:09:15 AM9/12/00
That's a damn shame!

A lot of work went into that car.

Do ya' have any car pics on a website or anything - Smokin' Dave, Furby
King, Dennis!

Dennis McGee

Sep 12, 2000, 12:32:05 PM9/12/00
In article <39d6ba80...@news.msy.bellsouth.net>,
smoki...@smokindave.com (Smokin' Dave) wrote:

>A very cool car, but wouldn't you agree that that's cheating a little?
>LOL

Well it was hard to look that cool in a '71 Nova so I guess I was sort of
living vicariously. :)

--
_--_ "Everybody here is outta site,
/ `--''> ,,, they don't bark and they don't bite."

Smokin' Dave

Sep 12, 2000, 1:29:45 PM9/12/00
On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:32:05 -0500, den...@InfoAveNoSpam.Net (Dennis
McGee) wrote:

>In article <39d6ba80...@news.msy.bellsouth.net>,
>smoki...@smokindave.com (Smokin' Dave) wrote:
>
>>A very cool car, but wouldn't you agree that that's cheating a little?
>>LOL
>
>Well it was hard to look that cool in a '71 Nova so I guess I was sort of
>living vicariously. :)

Heh. The Z was a very cool car, don't get me wrong, but there was
always a certain amount of pride in saying, "I built my car myself. I
handpicked all the peripherals, dreamed up the color scheme, and had
my best buddy help me apply the flames to the hood". The Z was nice,
but all it took to have one was a set of rich parents. Then, as soon
as another rich kid's parents buy him one, you cease to be an
original.

Smokin' Dave

Sep 12, 2000, 1:35:02 PM9/12/00
On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:09:15 GMT, a_nate...@my-deja.com wrote:

>That's a damn shame!
>
>A lot of work went into that car.
>
>Do ya' have any car pics on a website or anything - Smokin' Dave, Furby
>King, Dennis!

Naw, unfortunately, I don't have any pics of my older cars. By the
way, my favorites were my '72 and '73 Gran Torinos, and my '75
Maverick with the 302. To this day, I still want to build a Starsky
and Hutch Torino.

More stuff to add to the list of cool peripherals back then...

1. Jensen 6X9 speakers.
2. Plenty gauges (or at least a tachometer)
3. As much under-the-hood chrome as you could afford.
4. Accel (yellow) spark plug wires.

a_nate...@my-deja.com

Sep 12, 2000, 2:57:35 PM9/12/00
Speaking of peripherals:

There wasn't much that WASN'T street legal in California in the early
70's (and that all changed).

Hey guys! What was on your street illegal peripheral wet dream list?

THE FURBY KING

Sep 12, 2000, 8:31:34 PM9/12/00
On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:57:35 GMT, a_nate...@my-deja.com wrote:

>Speaking of peripherals:
>
>There wasn't much that WASN'T street legal in California in the early
>70's (and that all changed).
>
>Hey guys! What was on your street illegal peripheral wet dream list?

Nitrous Oxide NO² & a wheelie bar !!!

FK

Smokin' Dave

Sep 12, 2000, 10:50:51 PM9/12/00
On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:57:35 GMT, a_nate...@my-deja.com wrote:

>Speaking of peripherals:
>
>There wasn't much that WASN'T street legal in California in the early
>70's (and that all changed).

Geez, there were many times I thanked the Lord for not putting me in
California. It seemed like everything was illegal there. LOL

>Hey guys! What was on your street illegal peripheral wet dream list?

1. Open headers
2. A tiny steering wheel (got me a ticket)

Those are the first two to come to mind. I'm sure somebody'll come up
with more.

Smokin' Dave

Sep 12, 2000, 10:51:35 PM9/12/00

Wheelie bars were illegal? Forgot about those. They were cool.

a_nate...@my-deja.com

Sep 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/13/00
In article <8po83d$9f7$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>,

"Dave" <wage...@SPAMXerols.com> wrote and nate knew as soon as he
started describing:

> My neighbor had a '74 Cutlass with the Hurst dual gate shifter. Not
> the 442 package, but he had a custom cam, some carb and valve
> goodies, and centerline drags mounted on Cragar SS wheels. I drove
> that thing a few times and, oh man, felt like nobody could ever catch
> me.

. . .that it was going to get wrecked.

That's WHAY too powerful, but scha-a-a-weeet!

dougbaker

Sep 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/13/00
I had a handful of muscle cars of every type. You'll laugh, but the
fastest car I ever had was a '65 Bonneville 4-door. The thing is, it used to
be a cop car and had the 421 Interceptor in it. 435 ponies right from the
factory. NASCAR heads, 11.4-1 compression, 2.70 rear axle, trick suspension
and steering, guages looked like a cockpit. Beautiful and built like a tank.
There wasn't anything more fun than eating some kid's hotrod alive in
something that looked like grandpa's car. I'd rub it in and tell them it was
just a stock Pontiac. My two best other cars were a '71 Charger, 440
six-pack and a '70 GTO Judge with the 455 H.O. and ram air. It was all built
up. The old Bonneville could dust either one of them. My '66 Mustang was
probably the fastest in the quarter, but it had a 390 in it. That was a lot
of work. Broke down a lot, too. Rode and steered like a logwagon.
F O R D-
Frequent Ordeals Ruined Detroit.

---doug

a_nate...@my-deja.com

Sep 13, 2000, 8:36:14 AM9/13/00
In article <39c9eadc...@news.msy.bellsouth.net>,
smoki...@smokindave.com wrote:

> A tiny steering wheel (got me a ticket)

Now that's a memory! That was a big thing with the chicanos in Chula
Vista.

My fav, tiny steering wheel made to look like a chrome chain link.

Now, if you had that and a horn that played La Cucaracha or Los Suelos
Amigos and three wheel hydrualics and a tiny steering wheel, you
were "Super Vato" king of the barrio.

The Impala Set in San Diego still rides with that to this day.

Dave

Sep 13, 2000, 11:58:21 AM9/13/00

----------
In article <9s0rrsojp7u6nk89k...@4ax.com>, THE FURBY KING
<thefur...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My first car was a 1972 Oldsmobile 442 that I bought from a mechanic
> in 1979.

My neighbor had a '74 Cutlass with the Hurst dual gate shifter. Not the 442

package, but he had a custom cam, some carb and valve goodies, and
centerline drags mounted on Cragar SS wheels. I drove that thing a few

times and, oh man, felt like nobody could ever catch me. He killed that
car eventually... spun a bearing doing a burnout or something stupid like
that... never fixed it. Still don't know why. It sat dead in his drive for
a year or so before he sold it.

Personally, I never owned a "cool" car, and the coolest thing I ever did to
a car was put one of those FLAMMABLE truck placards on the back of the Pinto
I drove in college.

Dave the Wage$lave

recsec

Sep 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/14/00

"dougbaker" <zap...@voyager.net> wrote in message
or Found On Road Dead!! HEHEHE!!!
recsec

THE FURBY KING

Sep 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/14/00

>or Found On Road Dead!! HEHEHE!!!
>recsec

FORD

FIX OR REPAIR DAILY !!!

FK

THE FURBY KING

Sep 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/14/00

On an even funnier note was the Chevy Nova >>> it's literal
translation in Spanish "No Va" meant No Go >>> I guess that explains
why it was not a big hit in South America >>> Maybe they should have
called the Vega a Nova !!!

FK

Naz Reyes

Sep 14, 2000, 10:21:09 PM9/14/00
In article <3q1w5.6475$oc3.4...@news.flash.net>,
> or Found On Road Dead!! HEHEHE!!!
> recsec

Hey, it's the TIRES, man, the TIRES :-)

-Naz

Jamie

Sep 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/15/00
> it's literal
> translation in Spanish "No Va" meant No Go >>>

With that translation in mind... I've had lots of "No Va's"!!
LMAO (looking at my No Va sitting in the driveway)

Jamie

Dennis McGee

Sep 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/15/00
In article <sa33ssgio3svu78ie...@4ax.com>,
thefur...@yahoo.com wrote:

>On an even funnier note was the Chevy Nova >>> it's literal

>translation in Spanish "No Va" meant No Go >>>

The name might have sounded funny in Spanish, but the Chevy Nova was a
great little car -- at least until it was redesigned as a subcompact
several years later. Mine had a spiffy 305 V8 engine and it never let me
down a single time, and I sure can't say that about every car I've owned.

>Maybe they should have called the Vega a Nova !!!

I knew a fellow that bought a brand new light orange Vega in 1972, the year
it was introduced I believe. Seemed like a pretty cool little car at the
time, but I understand the Vega is now considered to be one of the all-time
lemons, mostly because of engine problems.

--
_--_ "The city streets are full of people
/ `--''> ,,, going nowhere making time."

Dixon Hayes

Sep 16, 2000, 10:55:10 PM9/16/00
>>or Found On Road Dead!! HEHEHE!!!
>>recsec
>>

>FORD
>
>FIX OR REPAIR DAILY !!!

Hey, have you heard the new one that's going around?

"Firestone-Oriented Road Debris."

Dixon

===========
"You won't find much flesh, it's all muscle. Us Fifes is wiry."
--Barney Fife

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

Dixon Hayes

Sep 16, 2000, 10:57:05 PM9/16/00

>On an even funnier note was the Chevy Nova >>> it's literal
>translation in Spanish "No Va" meant No Go >>> I guess that explains
>why it was not a big hit in South America >>> Maybe they should have

>called the Vega a Nova !!!

I heard that was actually an urban legend...despite its name, the Chevy Nova
sold okay in Spanish-speaking countries, as did Nova, a brand of gasoline made
for years by the Mexican oil company Pemex.