Pop Rocks!

Aldo Pignotti

Jan 19, 2001, 1:08:24 PM1/19/01
One of my favorite memories from the seventies is from
a logging crew I was working on. We were taking our
lunch break and someone had a couple of bags of Pop
Rocks. Next thing you know, there is a crew of big
ugly burley guys all giggling like school girls.

Remember there was an urban legend that some kid had
eaten several bags of Pop Rocks and downed a can of
Coke and his stomach exploded?

--
It ain't no sin
to be glad you're alive - the boss

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

LizzieZ

Jan 19, 2001, 2:21:53 PM1/19/01
>Remember there was an urban legend that some kid had
>eaten several bags of Pop Rocks and downed a can of
>Coke and his stomach exploded?

Sure, and remember who it supposedly was? Mikey, from the Life Cereal
commercials! BTW, he's fine, and now makes his living sell airtime for radio
stations.

Liz

Nate

Jan 19, 2001, 5:55:08 PM1/19/01
>Remember there was an urban legend that some kid had
>eaten several bags of Pop Rocks and downed a can of
>Coke and his stomach exploded?

Bzzzzzzzzt. Not likely! A a case of Gastritis or Diarrhea if you'd like.
It's ugly friend, but fart all day in the waiting room and make many friends as
you wait for ER admit is my prognosis. I'd maybe give you phenergan, but I'd
more than likely gather up the nurses for a good laugh at your arse.

Try me kids! I'm here to help.

"Our major obligation is not to mistake slogans for solutions" - Edward R.
Murrow

Nate

Jan 19, 2001, 6:00:08 PM1/19/01
>Sure, and remember who it supposedly was? Mikey, from the Life Cereal
>commercials! BTW, he's fine, and now makes his living sell airtime for radio
>stations.

Mikey, NOOOO! Son! Let me just write you a check so you don't make a fool of
yourself, hun!

These child actors and there dumbarsedness! It's a damn shame!

Jeff Troutman

Jan 19, 2001, 8:33:46 PM1/19/01
"Nate" <anat...@aol.com> wrote:
> >Remember there was an urban legend that some kid had
> >eaten several bags of Pop Rocks and downed a can of
> >Coke and his stomach exploded?
>
> Bzzzzzzzzt. Not likely!

Well, yeah.

I'd heard that story when I was young. Everybody I knew had. Not one of us
really believed it, though. We just loved talking about that kind of stuff.
One or two of the more adventurous types would try it for themselves, just
to see what would happen.

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

Jan 19, 2001, 8:38:02 PM1/19/01

It's true. I wish he could have taken a lesson from some of his fellow
child actors and done something more sensible, like develop a crippling
heroin addiction.

Jeff Troutman; ignore me, I'm feeling a bit snarky tonight.

redace

Jan 19, 2001, 10:18:08 PM1/19/01

LizzieZ wrote in message
<20010119142153...@ng-ch1.aol.com>...

Geez...that one is as old as the ol' Rod Stewart legend! It's amazing
how these rumors all spread considering that we didn't have the internet
then to assist us!

Lori =^.^=

The Wanderer

Jan 19, 2001, 10:31:24 PM1/19/01
What Rod Stewart legend?

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis
"redace" <redace...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

redace

Jan 19, 2001, 10:48:50 PM1/19/01

The Wanderer wrote in message ...
>What Rod Stewart legend?

Um..uh...oooo...how do I put this in a gentle way? Ok...there was this
rumor (urban legen, same difference), that he had his stomach pumped
after ingesting large amounts of...<err...ahem> sperm (whose exactly,
depends on which version of the rumor you here.) Now, I'm sure there
isn't a shred of proof to substantiate this, but hey, it was a kid
rumor. It didn't matter where you were from...you knew this rumor for
some odd reason. Just like the Mikey dying from Pop Rocks and Coke.

Lori =^.^=

Raphael

Jan 19, 2001, 10:51:22 PM1/19/01

The Wanderer <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> What Rod Stewart legend?

I seem to recall reading about this one. The story goes that he had to have
his stomach pumped after swallowing too much during oral sex.

Imagine explaining THAT in the hospital Emergency room.....

Erin ">

WiNK

Jan 19, 2001, 11:03:07 PM1/19/01
Just like the person who was murdered during "Love Rollercoaster." They
should write a 70s Urban Legend coffee table book.

Nadine

--
"Soon we'll be away from here, step on the gas and wipe that tear away.
One sweet dream came true today..."

redace <redace...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

The Wanderer

Jan 20, 2001, 12:06:10 AM1/20/01
There actually was one Nadine. It was called The Choking Doberman. Based on
the urban legend that say's a guy came home after someone had tried to rob
his home and found his Doberman choking. Finally, the story goes, the dog
spit up what it was choking on. And, it turned out to be a finger. When he
called the police to report the robbery he mentioned the finger. The cop
then told him that they have a chewed up victim at the local E.R., and sure
enough he was missing a finger. And, it was the same (positioned) finger
that the dog spit up. So they got the finger and printed it, and found lo
and behold that it had the man's finger print for his missing digit on it-as
was proved out by police fingerprints from an earlier incident.

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

"WiNK" <tcbel...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

The Wanderer

Jan 20, 2001, 12:06:28 AM1/20/01
You would NOT believe some of the things that come into the E.R. Right Nate?
My favorite was the guy with the priapism (look it up children) he -in a
way-was the envy of all the old men there that night. But he said he was in
agony. So they sent him up to Phys. Ther. to "work it off".

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

"Raphael" <raphe...@sprint.ca> wrote in message

Nate

Jan 20, 2001, 12:21:38 AM1/20/01
>It's true. I wish he could have taken a lesson from some of his fellow
>child actors and done something more sensible, like develop a crippling
>heroin addiction.
>
>Jeff Troutman; ignore me, I'm feeling a bit snarky tonight.

Jeff! Even from the goofiest mug in this NG, you make me laugh!!!!

I bow to you my friend!!!!!

Nate

Jan 20, 2001, 12:35:49 AM1/20/01
>You would NOT believe some of the things that come into the E.R. Right Nate?
>My favorite was the guy with the priapism (look it up children) he -in a
>way-was the envy of all the old men there that night. But he said he was in
>agony. So they sent him up to Phys. Ther. to "work it off".

Awesome! <hearing the sound or million clickings to the dictionary on one's
dictionary>

My worst was a call for a beeper that was stuck up a patient's rectum. His
friends who brought him in were calling (his rectum) for the vibration. The
med student wasn't sure if it had fractured his tailbone.

Kim? Did you get this one or did it get discharged?

Dixon Hayes

Jan 20, 2001, 12:38:21 AM1/20/01
I actually lived on the edge a little bit with this one...when I was eleven, I
actually swallowed Pop Rocks and cola (Dr. Pepper, I think it was). Result:
Coolest burp of my life. I never attempted it again, as that was my
masterwork...

Dixon
=============
"Let's dance, Maude...you're starting to get to me!"
--Barney Fife

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

Dixon Hayes

Jan 20, 2001, 12:39:22 AM1/20/01
Buddy wrote:

>What Rod Stewart legend?

Ewwwww...you don't want to know, Buddy. Let's just say it involved a stomach
pump and a secret lifestyle...

Dixon Hayes

Jan 20, 2001, 12:43:27 AM1/20/01
Nadine wrote:

>Just like the person who was murdered during "Love Rollercoaster." They
>should write a 70s Urban Legend coffee table book.

Actually, Nadine, it's been done...

Jan Harold Brunvand has made several compilations of urban legends, in books
like "The Choking Doberman," "The Kentucky Fried Rat", and "Curses! Broiled
Again!" There's even a coffee table compilation of his compilations ("The Big
Book of Urban Legends.") Another author, Richard Roeper, has written a few
too.

And there's even a really cool website that I check almost daily (I'm into
urban legends myself):

http://www.snopes.com

My favorite is the snake that lives in the ballpit on the Burger King
playground. Try telling people snakes don't live like that and they just argue
with you...

Nate

Jan 20, 2001, 12:44:06 AM1/20/01
>One or two of the more adventurous types would try it for themselves, just
>to see what would happen.

Thank God I passed Emergency Medicine!

My attending Physician and I then loved seeing risk takers like you, but then
again we were so burnt out on the long hours that the nurses got more of a kick
out of it than us. They just love proping you up arse ended.

I'm assuming. Kim???

The Wanderer

Jan 20, 2001, 1:20:57 AM1/20/01
I like that, "discharged". Nate you're hysterical without ever trying.

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

"Nate" <anat...@aol.com> wrote in message

Nate

Jan 20, 2001, 1:39:35 AM1/20/01
>I like that, "discharged". Nate you're hysterical without ever trying.

I try to make it seem that way. Thanks!

ANT The Monarch of Menace

Jan 20, 2001, 3:01:59 AM1/20/01
>Ewwwww...you don't want to know, Buddy. Let's just say it involved a stomach
>pump and a secret lifestyle...

A secreted lifestyle? SPEWWWWWW!
-ANT

Kelly

Jan 20, 2001, 3:17:19 AM1/20/01
In my hand is a book called The Baby On The Car Roof and 222 more urban
legends. It is a funny, and very quick read I picked up on Amazon in
December.

Kelly

WiNK

Jan 20, 2001, 10:18:11 AM1/20/01
Dang! Someone beat me to it! :-) Guess I'll have to buy me one of
those!!!!

Nadine

--
"Soon we'll be away from here, step on the gas and wipe that tear away.
One sweet dream came true today..."

Dixon Hayes <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message

Dixon Hayes

Jan 20, 2001, 10:32:01 AM1/20/01
>Dang! Someone beat me to it! :-) Guess I'll have to buy me one of
>those!!!!

I highly recommend them, Nadine, especially the Jan Harold Brunvard books, very
entertaining.

charles hobbs

Jan 20, 2001, 2:22:41 PM1/20/01

Raphael wrote:

> The Wanderer <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > What Rod Stewart legend?
> >

> I seem to recall reading about this one. The story goes that he had to have
> his stomach pumped after swallowing too much during oral sex.

I remember back in 1978 (Jr. High) someone reading that out of one of the
tabloids. (National Enquirer maybe).

Later on in college, we were talking about different rock bands, etc. and I just

mentioned Rod Stewart to some of my dorm-mates. Everybody started jumping
in with a different version of the "sperm" story...

The Wanderer

Jan 21, 2001, 12:50:48 AM1/21/01
Cant ya see the commercials "Got Sperm?"

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

"charles hobbs" <cho...@socal.rr.com> wrote in message

Nancy

Jan 21, 2001, 9:34:21 AM1/21/01
So is the one about Richard Gere and the hampster just a rumor too?

Dixon Hayes

Jan 21, 2001, 10:31:36 AM1/21/01
Nancy,

>So is the one about Richard Gere and the hampster just a rumor too?

Yep, pretty much...the gerbils in general aren't checking out either...

LizzieZ

Jan 21, 2001, 2:20:52 PM1/21/01
>Cant ya see the commercials "Got Sperm?"

Oh my god.... with the mustache and everything!!!! ROFL!!!!

Liz

The Wanderer

Jan 22, 2001, 3:01:14 AM1/22/01
That was the general idea but I didn't want to paint that picture.

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

"LizzieZ" <liz...@aol.comedy> wrote in message

Kaguya

Jan 22, 2001, 4:11:09 PM1/22/01

"Jeff Troutman" <yourhe...@starpower.net> wrote in message

> "Nate" <anat...@aol.com> wrote:
> > >Sure, and remember who it supposedly was? Mikey, from the Life Cereal
> > >commercials! BTW, he's fine, and now makes his living sell airtime for
> radio
> > >stations.
> >
> > Mikey, NOOOO! Son! Let me just write you a check so you don't make a
> fool of
> > yourself, hun!
> >
> > These child actors and there dumbarsedness! It's a damn shame!

> It's true. I wish he could have taken a lesson from some of his fellow
> child actors and done something more sensible, like develop a crippling
> heroin addiction.
read about all these urban legends at www.snopes.com !

Nanc

Jan 22, 2001, 4:29:34 PM1/22/01
That's sight is great........loved the one about the cast of Green Acres
eating Arnold after the final episode lololol

Sandy

Jan 23, 2001, 1:32:14 PM1/23/01
>What Rod Stewart legend?

OH NO BUDDY!!!! Now I have to read THAT again...UGH!!! yuck, yuck, yuck!

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

Jeff Troutman

Jan 24, 2001, 5:32:47 PM1/24/01
I certainly would have....scene-stealing pig...:)

Jeff Troutman

"Nanc" <bill...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

Jeff Troutman

Jan 24, 2001, 5:35:15 PM1/24/01
"LizzieZ" <liz...@aol.comedy> wrote:
> >Cant ya see the commercials "Got Sperm?"
>
> Oh my god.... with the mustache and everything!!!! ROFL!!!!

It's been done. Not that long ago, in a record store, I saw a poster
featuring a woman with a "milk" moustache and wearing a pearl necklace
(thank you, ZZ Top). The caption read, "Not Milk?"

Jeff Troutman

Dixon Hayes

Jan 25, 2001, 1:24:43 AM1/25/01
Jeff Troutman wrote:

>Not that long ago, in a record store, I saw a poster
>featuring a woman with a "milk" moustache and wearing a pearl necklace
>(thank you, ZZ Top). The caption read, "Not Milk?"

I saw something along those lines a couple of years ago, the woman was (once
again) Monica Lewinsky...