early new wave

doug holverson

Jul 5, 2001, 6:16:41 PM7/5/01
Anybody want to list their early New Wave (before empty vee's clothes horses
with synthesizers) favorites?

DGH

Molly

Jul 5, 2001, 6:22:58 PM7/5/01
This is right up my alley, Doug. :)

Nick Lowe
The B52s
XTC (they started in the 70s)
Squeeze (same as XTC)
Rachel Sweet (great song, B.A.B.Y.)
Blondie
The Au Pairs
The Modettes
The Slits
The Ramones

Molly

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Jul 5, 2001, 7:57:13 PM7/5/01

Some early new wave moments:

Gary Newman - "Cars"
Thomas Dolby - "She Blinded Me with Science"
Split Enz - "I Got You"
Talking Heads - "Psycho Killer"
The Humam League - "Don't You Want Me"
The Normal - "Warm Leatherette"
M - "Pop Music"
Squeeze - "Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)"
The Thompson Twins - "In the Name of Love"
The Flying Lizards - "Money"
Lene Lovich - "Lucky Number"
The Knack - "My Sharona"
Soft Cell - "Tainted Love"
Spandau Ballet - "True"
Blondie - "One Way or Another" and "Heart of Glass"
Kim Wilde - "Kids in America"
Joan Jett - "Bad Reputation"
Wall of Voodoo - "Mexican Radio"
Men Without Hats - "The Safety Dance"
Tommy Tutone - "867-5309/Jenny"
The Romantics - "What I Like about You"
Elvis Costello - "Watching the Detectives"
Devo - "Whip It"
The Cars - "Just What I needed"
Eurythmics - "Sweet Dreams"
The Police - "Roxanne"
Joe Jackson -"Look Sharp"
Howard Jones - "New Song"
The Fixx - "One Thing Leads to Another"
Echo and the Bunnymen - "The Cutter"
Duran Duran - "Planet Earth" and "Girls on Film"
Depeche Mode - "New Life," "Dreaming of Me" and "Just Can't Get Enough'
New Order - "Temptation"
ABC - "The Look of Love"
Pretenders - "Brass in Pocket"
Psychadelic Furs - "Pretty in Pink" and "Love My Way"
Tom Robinson Band - "2-4-6-8 Motorway"
Orange Juice - "Rip it Up"
Martha and the Muffins - "Echo Beach"
Haircut One Hundred - "Favorite Shirts"
Silicon Teens - "Judy in Disguise"
Mi-Sex - "Computer Games"
Romeo Void - "Never Say Never"
Pete Shelley - "Homosapien"
OMD - "Enola Gay"
Parachute Club - "Rise Up"
Modern English - "I Melt With You"
Plastic Bertrand - "Ca Plane Pour Moi"
Oingo Boingo - "Only a Lad"
The Plastics - "Last Train to Clarksville"
The Buggles - "Video Killed the Radio Star"
Roxy Music - "Dance Away"
Robert Fripp (with Darrell Hall) - "You Burn Me Up (I'm a Cigarette)"
Iggy Pop - "Nightclubbing"
B-52s - "Rock Lobster"
Classix Nouveaux - "Forever and a Day"
Adam and the Ants - "Aunt Music"
Billy Idol - "Dancing With Myself"
Culture Club - "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me"
The Teardrop Explodes - "Reward"
A Flock of Seagulls - "Telecommunications"
Altered Images - "Happy Birthday"
Bow Wow Wow - "I Want Candy"
Heaven 17 - "Let Me Go"
Icehouse - "Hey Little Girl"

badboyboogieman

Jul 5, 2001, 8:04:38 PM7/5/01
New Wave brings to mind:
The Cars (R.I.P. Ben Orr)
Elvis Costello
The Knack
Blondie
The Jam
Madness (ONE STEP BEYOND!!!!)
Squeeze
A Flock of Seagulls
Trio (DA DA DA)
Joe Jackson
Just to name a few.
doug holverson <dhol...@netins.net> wrote in message

Davisk

Jul 5, 2001, 9:09:48 PM7/5/01
I'm more into the funky new wave type of songs like:

'Walking on Thin Ice' - Yoko Ono
'Cavern' - Liquid Liquid
'Magnificent Seven' - The Clash
'UFO' - ESG
and tonnes of songs by Ian Dury & The Blockheads, like 'Reason To Be
Cheerful', 'Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick' and 'Spasticus Autisticus'.

Molly

Jul 5, 2001, 9:53:41 PM7/5/01
How could I forget about Madness. They did start in the late 70s. And I
got one more:

The Bodysnatchres (I think they mainly hit it in the 80s though)

Molly

James Dobrovicz

Jul 5, 2001, 9:54:29 PM7/5/01
Even though I love most of what you described as "Empty vee clothes horses
with synthesizers" (even though I like the music, I wholeheartedly agree
with that assessment) here's a list of (non-punk) new wave songs I really
like:

Munsters Theme - Comateens
All Lined Up - Shriekback
Turning Japanese - The Vapors
Cruel to be Kind - Nick Lowe

Just What I Needed - The Cars (not to mention their whole first album, and
actually most of the rest of their output)

Oliver's Army -and- (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding -
Elvis Costello and the Attractions

Science Friction, Life Begins at the Hop, Senses Working Overtime, Generals
and Majors, and about 20 other songs by XTC

Anything off the first 3 Pere Ubu albums but especially Life Stinks, 30
Seconds Over Tokyo, Heart of Darkness, Non-Alignment Pact, and The Modern
Dance

When I Dream - The Teardrop Explodes
Rock Lobster - B-52s
Happy Birthday - Altered Images

I Got You, I See Red, One Step Ahead, and about 20 other songs by Split Enz

Even though most people would probably disagree with me, I consider a lot of
early Prince music to be new wave -- songs like "When You Were Mine" and
"Controversy" for instance.

And as usual, probably about 30 more songs I'll think of after I post this
:-)

-- James C. Dobrovicz

"So far we've been on the air six minutes, and we're going to get letters
from Orientals, Whites, Blacks, and a few fairies in the Valley!"
--Charles Nelson Reilly on Match Game PM, 1981

To reply via email, please remove the name of the host of 'Match Game'

Stevie Nice

Jul 5, 2001, 10:18:31 PM7/5/01
Molly <molly...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<3B44E938...@worldnet.att.net>...

Molly, you were 6 when each of these acts were in their underground
stages. Were you also listening to X Offender by Blondie during this
period of your youth?

badboyboogieman

Jul 5, 2001, 11:08:40 PM7/5/01
I didn't even think about Ian Dury! I was also a fan. R.I.P. Ian (5/12/42
to 3/7/00
Davisk <davi...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Molly

Jul 5, 2001, 11:13:18 PM7/5/01
No, I wasn't, but my older sister I think listened to that album. She listened to a lot of these
artists and groups. She was a New Wave fanatic when she was in high school (which was the late
70s/early 80s). I know she listened to a lot of Ramones and B52s. I heard The B52s even before they
really got big. :)

Molly

Kelly

Jul 5, 2001, 11:06:45 PM7/5/01
You are too funny!

Kelly

"Stevie Nice" <stevi...@raidersfan.net> wrote in message

Molly

Jul 5, 2001, 11:17:44 PM7/5/01
"Hit Me With Your Rythm Stick" what a great song. :) Yeah RIP Ian Dury. :(

Molly

zxyxz 77

Jul 6, 2001, 1:22:27 AM7/6/01

Molly <molly...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> This is right up my alley, Doug. :)
>
> Nick Lowe
> The B52s
> XTC (they started in the 70s)

All these bands on your list did (except the Au Pairs) with several
(including XTC) passing the third album mark, or more, by decade's end.

zxyxz 77

Jul 6, 2001, 1:37:06 AM7/6/01
This six year span of songs I find hard to lump together in any cohesive
manner, for how could one really portray the giddy, neo-early 60's New Wave
of 78-79 (Elvis Costello, Blondie, Joe Jackson- and may I add the Boomtown
Rats, XTC, and Squeeze) as being in the same category as the later ('81-83)
synthetic Post Romo & Soul Boy camps of Thomas Dolby, ABC, and the Culture
Club. To me, the former is the what would actually be called New Wave (which
was when that term was codified in the media and accepted by those bands)
whilst the latter clutch of performers I'd just consider 80's modern pop
rock, for New Wave was considered a passe term by their time anyway.

I think this group needs to understand that about 80% of New Wave belongs to
the 70's. It just doesn't, too most people, register as "70's music" because
it was a reaction to what the decade had been up to that point and was never
very popular.

TS

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

zxyxz 77

Jul 6, 2001, 1:57:17 AM7/6/01
> Science Friction, Life Begins at the Hop, Senses Working Overtime,
Generals
> and Majors, and about 20 other songs by XTC

EVERY song they recorded was brilliant!!!

> Anything off the first 3 Pere Ubu albums but especially Life Stinks, 30
> Seconds Over Tokyo, Heart of Darkness, Non-Alignment Pact, and The Modern
> Dance

I prefer the Art of Walking and (especially) Song of the Bailing Man, but
those are 80's releases so I digress.

> I Got You, I See Red, One Step Ahead, and about 20 other songs by Split
Enz

Good stuff, especially the more eerie stuff on Waiata and the instrumentals
on True Colors ("Double Happy", "The Choral Sea") but they were even better
between 1973-1978 as a Symphonic Prog/ Pop band.

> Even though most people would probably disagree with me, I consider a lot
of
> early Prince music to be new wave -- songs like "When You Were Mine" and
> "Controversy" for instance.

I agree, some of his 80-81 output has that quirky, stacotto, vibrato timbre.
Bette Bright, ex-Deaf School and future Suggs (Madness) spouse covered "When
You Were Mine" on her sole solo album.

Beatlfilms

Jul 6, 2001, 2:29:54 AM7/6/01
Davisk said:

>I'm more into the funky new wave type of songs like:
>
>'Walking on Thin Ice' - Yoko Ono

Just a tidbit of trivia in case you didn't know. Yoko's "Walking On Thin Ice"
was the song John Lennon was working on in the studio December 8, 1980, and a
tape of it was what he was holding in his hand as the evil of that night
unleashed. I can't ever hear that song without thinking of that.

Shawn

Beatlfilms

Jul 6, 2001, 2:32:19 AM7/6/01
antipos...@127.0.0.1 said:

>Gary Newman - "Cars"

I also remember a song called "Praying To The Aliens" by Gary Numan. Something
about him riding around in a little car as he sang it. Was this a music video
or a concert clip?

Shawn

zxyxz 77

Jul 6, 2001, 3:18:22 AM7/6/01
My top New Waver's are:
XTC
The Stranglers (it's time for a cult resurgence for this awesome band.)
Magazine (combined the best of New Wave and Prog Rock ideas!)
The Boomtown Rats (on the New Wave frontlines back in '78-79, WHY are they
so forgotten now??)
Penetration
Lene Lovich
Joe Jackson (especially the Beat Crazy LP!)
Squeeze
The Korgis (ex-Stackridge pair turned Wavers on the light side)
Elvis Costello
The Police (not the most sophisticated or innovative in this category, as
has been asserted by many Prog sniffers, but still good)
Adam & the Ants- (Dirk Wears White Sox fits along the more abrasive side
here)

and from America:
Talking Heads
Richard Hell and the Voidoids
The Cars (2/3 New Wave, 1/3 AOR. Cold Wave bleeds into their third album)
Wazmo Nariz
Skafish
Tin Huey
The Units
The Screamers
Pink Section
The greatest American band ever, IMO, was Sparks, who laid the foundation
for a gazillion different New Wave bands on their first 2 albums ( S/T and A
Woofer in Tweeters Clothing) in the early 70's, and were in turn influenced
by those bands during their Whomp that Sucker-Angst in My Pants period a
decade later.
Oh yeah, Devo were great, but very overexposed in proportion to the others.

Some Continental European acts of note:
Etron Fou Leloublan
OGI
Debile Menthol
Stormy Six
Honeymoon Killers
Radio Futura
many RIO related bands injected quirky New Wave influences.

My favorite Cold Wave (or "futurist") performers are:
Bill Nelson/ Red Noise (ex-Glam rocker turned Waver)
Ultravox
Gary Numan/ Tubeway Army
Spizz (in his many configurations)
Chrisma (Italian Synth Punk/ Cold Wave duo)
Tuxedomoon

Going back a bit, my favorite fresh young acts to come on the eve of New
Wave ( I call it Middle Void) are:
Deaf School (Ragtime, Tin Pan Alley, Cabaret and eventually Punk and New
Wave)
Easy Street (Pop, Skiffle, Ragtime and a touch of Symphonic)
Metro (proto-Romo Symphonic Pop)
Cafe Jacques (Symphonic Pop with a pinch of Pub Rock)
Burlesque (Be Bop, Jump Blues and Punk)
Doctors of Madness- the missing link between Roxy Music and Ultravox

My favorite pure Punks of 76-77 are the Sex Pistols and the Adverts. The
best album to come off the Proto Punk, Pub Rock side was Eddie and the Hot
Rod's Life on the Line LP.

My favorite Romo (New Romantic) Wavos are:
Japan
Toyah Wilcox
Landscape
Simple Minds (79-82 period)
YMO (more so the solo stuff by Sakamoto and Takahashi)
Gina X Performance

My favorite Synth Pop/ Modern Rock bands are
New Musik (Sanctuary is a tight, melodic ear candy masterpiece!)
Bruce Wooley and the Camera Club
The Buggles

Though I'm not all that big on the style, I think the best Post-Punk,
anti-rock performers are:
Wire
PiL
Essential Logic
Prag Vec
The Slits
The Passions (catchy songs on their first LP despite some obnoxious feminist
lyrics.)

ditto for Dark Wave (except the Cure and Siouxsie and the Banshees.)

My favorite old wave crossovers into the various aforementioned styles from
the late 70's-early 80's are:
Random Hold- ex Quiet Sun, 801 and more doing Magazine style Symphonic Wave.
Renaissance- Camera Camera LP (classic Renaissance injected with Toyah, Lene
and Siouxsie!)
Jethro Tull- A LP (classic Tull with some Ultravox and Stranglers thrown in)
Jon Anderson- Animotion LP
Peter Gabriel- III (Post Punk and ethnic music mix)
Peter Hammill- everthing from 1978-1982 combines Art Rock, Post Punk and
Cold Wave.
Yes- "Release Release"
Genesis- "Who Dunnit"
Godley and Creme- L and Freeze Frame LPs
Camel- "Remote Romance"
Hall & Oates- Side 2 of both the Along the Red Ledge and X-tatic LPs.
Mike Oldfield- "Family Man", "Five Miles Out"
Rush- Signals LP (a mix of Cold Wave and AOR)
Paul McCartney- McCartney II LP
Spilt Enz (they actually became a bona fide New Wave act, after pre-dating
it's more extreme fashion elements during their mid-70's Art Rock period.)
Kink Crimson- Mark III

Perhaps a whole nother thread could be done on New Wave songs by non-New
Wave performers.

TS

zxyxz 77

Jul 6, 2001, 4:31:03 AM7/6/01
> My top New Waver's are:
> and from America:
> Talking Heads
> Richard Hell and the Voidoids
> The Cars (2/3 New Wave, 1/3 AOR. Cold Wave bleeds into their third album)
> Wazmo Nariz
> Skafish
> Tin Huey
> The Units
> The Screamers
> Pink Section

I forgot to mention the Shirts. They were like a US equivalent to
Penetration. Very sophisticated, tight, melodic and arty.

Davisk

Jul 6, 2001, 9:25:18 AM7/6/01

"Beatlfilms" <beatl...@aol.com> wrote in message

Yes, I am aware of that. But I think it is a great song despite that
connotation...

Nanc

Jul 6, 2001, 11:00:37 AM7/6/01
I loved Squeeze and the B-52s. Also a local band called The New Models. I
bought their EP but left it at someone's house and never got it back. I
would love to find a copy but probably never will.
Nanc

Molly

Jul 6, 2001, 12:00:57 PM7/6/01
Oh another Lene Lovich fan. I forgot to add her to my list. Aslo I don't think
I mentioned Kate Bush. Her first album, "The Kick Inside" was released in
1978. She's one of those singerseither you like or hate.
Oh a little trivia about Lene Lovich, Thomas Dolby was in her backing band for a
few years.

Molly

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Jul 6, 2001, 1:27:33 PM7/6/01

Hi Nanc,

I was in Boston from 1979 trough 1980, and there were a lot of really good,
and some great even, local bands then. Remember the Neighborhoods (a terrific
band), The Lyres (amazing live), The Del Fuegos, Dumptruck, Human Sexual
Response, the Neats, the Nervous Eaters, Mission of Burma (they were GREAT!)
and many others. There was a band that did a remake of the classic 60s garage
anthem "Dirty Water," changing the lyrics slighly to refer to the Charles
River and to have the chorus "Oh Boston You're my home." I used to listen
to Oedipus and go to Newbury Comix (one of my favorite record shops) religiously.
I was so sad when the Rat closed.

Tom
Go Sox!

The Wanderer

Jul 6, 2001, 1:42:03 PM7/6/01
My friend Ronnie Ardito played Lead for them as I recall, and my friend Mike
Walsh played keyboards in a later version of the original group (w/ Annie
Golden).

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"zxyxz 77" <zxy...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Nanc

Jul 6, 2001, 3:53:12 PM7/6/01
That's When I Reach for my Revolver.....yes! and I saw The Neighborhoods at
Pufferbellies down the Cape. I know I saw Del Fuegos because I knew someone
who knew someone in the band. I couldn't believe the Rat closed. Lots of fun
times jumping up and down in there LOL! I liked Oedipus but I could never
stand Chuckkkk Laqudaira. Those were the days I woke up to WBCN. Now I wake
up to Magic. Must be the old age once again!!
Thanks for the memories
Nanc

Nazter@4200

Jul 6, 2001, 7:12:15 PM7/6/01
doug holverson <dhol...@netins.net> wrote in message news:<B76A5179.6B79F%dhol...@netins.net>...
> Anybody want to list their early New Wave (before empty vee's clothes horses
> with synthesizers) favorites?
>
> DGH

Well Doug, fashion played a big part in New Wave music, even in its early days.

Just look at DAVID BOWIE, possibly one of new wave's early pioneers and it's
hard to NOT to think about how he looked back then, even though his music can
stand on its own.

My favorite early new wave, though, was THE CARS. I loved the first
single "Just What I Needed" and the WHOLE album. That pretty much was my first
introduction to new wave music in the late 70s.

Come to think of it, it may have been BLONDIE or ROXY MUSIC...hmm, my memory
is slowly fading away :)

-Naz

andy749

Jul 6, 2001, 8:03:32 PM7/6/01
I have an album from 1981 full of songs about Nuclear War titled Life In
The European Theatre...some artists, not sure how many, are from late
70s and I guess would be considered "new wave". Maybe someone out there
might know. It's on Elektra...doubt if it's on CD.

the clash - london calling
the jam - little boy soldier
the beat - i am your flag
the specials - man at c+a
xtc - living thru another cuba
peter gabriel - i don't remember
the doors - peace frog
madness - grey day
bad manners - psychedelic eric
the stranglers - neuclear device
the undertones - its going to happen
echo + the bunnymen - all that jazz
the au pairs - diet

Stevie Nice

Jul 7, 2001, 8:50:19 PM7/7/01
Molly <molly...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<3B452D42...@worldnet.att.net>...

> No, I wasn't, but my older sister I think listened to that album. She listened to a lot of these
> artists and groups. She was a New Wave fanatic when she was in high school (which was the late
> 70s/early 80s). I know she listened to a lot of Ramones and B52s. I heard The B52s even before they
> really got big. :)
>
> Molly

Ok I gotcha.

Jeff Troutman

Jul 7, 2001, 9:36:06 PM7/7/01

The little car was a staple of his concert appearances. I've never seen a
video for "Praying", though.

He uses the car during his turn in the film "Urgh! A Music War", but the
song he's performing is "Down In The Park". He performs "Praying" on his
Saturday Night Live appearance, but I don't believe he's in the car.

Jeff Troutman

Molly

Jul 7, 2001, 9:51:08 PM7/7/01
Oh great, "Down in the Park". This is one of my favorite Gary Numan songs.

Molly

Beatlfilms

Jul 8, 2001, 12:52:09 AM7/8/01
Jeff Troutman said:

>The little car was a staple of his concert appearances. I've never seen a
>video for "Praying", though.
>
>He uses the car during his turn in the film "Urgh! A Music War", but the
>song he's performing is "Down In The Park". He performs "Praying" on his
>Saturday Night Live appearance, but I don't believe he's in the car.

Ah. I must be confusing the two performances then. I do seem to recall
something about Numan being on SNL and think I saw "Urgh!" once ages ago.
Thanks for the info.

Shawn

Lenny Smith

Jul 8, 2001, 3:58:49 AM7/8/01

Stevie Nice wrote in message
<23f3443b.01070...@posting.google.com>...

>Molly, you were 6 when each of these acts were in their underground
>stages. Were you also listening to X Offender by Blondie during this
>period of your youth?

...which was, of course, originally titled "Sex Offender"...

Lenny