Worst Song Ever Catagory

badboyboogieman

Jul 5, 2001, 8:17:34 PM7/5/01
Does anyone wish to list their choices for worst songs ever.
Is there any worse than "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro.

The Wanderer

Jul 5, 2001, 8:35:53 PM7/5/01
Yews, there is. I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"badboyboogieman" <mdo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

reddent

Jul 5, 2001, 8:38:10 PM7/5/01

"badboyboogieman" <mdo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone wish to list their choices for worst songs ever.
> Is there any worse than "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro.

Telephone Man -- Meri Wilson
Muskrat Love -- The Captain and Tennille
They're Coming To Take Me Away -- Napoleon XIV

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Jul 5, 2001, 9:11:27 PM7/5/01

This is a very, very tough question. For me, though, it would be a choice
among:

Kenny G - "Songbird"
Kenny Rogers - "Lady"
Bryan Adams - "Heaven"
Styx - "Babe"
Anne Murray - "You Needed Me"
REO Speedwagon - "Keep on Loving You"
REO Speedwagon - "Can't Fight This Feeling"
Sheena Easton - "Morning Train"
Diana Ross and Lionel Ritchie - "Endless Love"
Survivor - "Eye of the Tiger"
Air Supply - "Even the Nights are Better"
Lionel Ritchie - "Hello"
Lionel Ritchie - "Say You Say Me"
Night Ranger - "Sister Christian"
The Starship - "We Built This City"
The Starship - "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now"
Europe - "Carrie"

I hate all these schlockmeisters, except for Diana Ross, who's basically
not a schlockmeister.

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Jul 5, 2001, 9:24:14 PM7/5/01

I thought of another:

Donnie and Marie - "I'm a Little Bit Country, and I'm a Little Bit Rock and
Roll"

In fact, they were neither; they were mere CRAP.

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Jul 5, 2001, 9:33:11 PM7/5/01

I thought of yet another:

Clint Holmes - "Playground in my Mind"
(the immortal duet with the kid, with both singers singing "My name is Michael/I've
a Nickel/I've Got a Nickel/Shiny and New/I'm Gonna Buy Me/All Kinds of Candy/That's
What I'm Gonna Do")

While this novelty hit may not be as grating as, for instance, Lionel Ritchie
or REO Speedwagon at their worst, it is such a dumb, inherently bad, embarrasing
song/recording, so bad, in fact, that, for me, it makes me laugh. I sort
of like it for that reason. But, it really is a bad, bad song, probably one
of the worst ever.

The Wanderer

reddent

Jul 5, 2001, 9:45:59 PM7/5/01

> I thought of yet another:
>
> Clint Holmes - "Playground in my Mind"
> (the immortal duet with the kid, with both singers singing "My name is
Michael/I've
> a Nickel/I've Got a Nickel/Shiny and New/I'm Gonna Buy Me/All Kinds of
Candy/That's
> What I'm Gonna Do")

=============================
I agree, this song sounds like it was written by a closet
pedophile....IMHO.

~reddent~

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Jul 5, 2001, 10:28:37 PM7/5/01

That's right, Buddy, no dancing around. My nostalgia does have at least some
limits, and these limits start with these horrifying, vacuous, white bread,
monster teethed, sickeningly wholesome, Jackson family wannabes, among others.

Tom

badboyboogieman

Jul 5, 2001, 10:38:02 PM7/5/01
PEEEEEUUUUUU!!!!! True these tunes are steaming piles of pungent feces, but
I still say Honey has them beat, or maybe "The Pineacalada Song" by the one
and only (Thank God) Rupert Holmes. Not sure about my spelling of
pineacalada, but it sucks no matter how it's spelled. Doc
<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

Dixon Hayes

Jul 5, 2001, 10:51:52 PM7/5/01
>Is there any worse than "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro.

Yeah, but I have to admit that's a contender fer shur.

My choice: "The Night Chicago Died."

Dixon
===========
"Daylight's precious when you're a young 'un!"
--Sheriff Andy Taylor

Classic Hollywood Squares:
http://www.geocities.come/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

Molly

Jul 5, 2001, 11:16:11 PM7/5/01
Dixon, I heard "The Night Chicago Died" on the radio at my parents'
house. OMG, that song has to be one of the worst songs ever. How about
"Feelings" by (I can't remember who). Everytime I hear that song I
think of when Eunice (the Carol Burnett Show) went on the Gong Show and
she sang that song, and got gonged.

Molly

aleen the karaoke queen

Jul 5, 2001, 11:54:46 PM7/5/01
"I'd Really Love To See You Tonight" by England Dan and John Ford Coley, a
song about a creepy middle aged swingle guy on the make

"I Like Dreamin'" by Kenny Nolan

"Torn Between Two Lovers" by Mary MacGregor, although I have been known to
sing this song aloud quite often, tee hee.

"Run Joey Run" by David Geddes, again though I LOVE singing the "daddy
please
don't, it wasn't his fault, he meeeeeeeeeeeeans so much to meeeeee" part
aloud
all the time!

"Blind Man In the Bleachers" by David Geddes, man he has some sucky stuff!
"Well you knew my dad was blind he said, tonight he...passed away...it's the
FIRST TIME THAT MY FATHER'S SEEN ME PLAY!!!!!!"

"When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman" by Dr. Hook, I mean even though
have seen Dr. Hook in concert zillions of times I can't take this song!

"You're Having My Baby" by Paul Anka, if someone wrote a song like this for
me I'd make him get a vasectomy

man I haven't even GOTTEN to the 80s yet! I'll just list a couple 80s
stinkers!

"Illegal Alien" by Genesis, listen to "Watcher of the Skies" from the album
Foxtrot then listen to this song and think "what a sad sad transition"

"The Heat Is On" by Glenn Frey <shudder>

Argh, I'd better stop, I'm making myself sick!

Have a wonderful day! :-)

aleen the karaoke queen

>===== Original Message From "badboyboogieman" <mdo...@hotmail.com> =====

>Does anyone wish to list their choices for worst songs ever.

>Is there any worse than "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro.

reddent

Jul 5, 2001, 11:59:33 PM7/5/01

"Molly" <molly...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> "Feelings" by (I can't remember who). Everytime I hear that song I
> think of when Eunice (the Carol Burnett Show) went on the Gong Show and
> she sang that song, and got gonged.
>
> Molly

=========================

"Feelings" by Morris Albert..... BTW, I thought
Eunice did some justice to the song with her cover of it. <G>

~reddent~

Yeff

Jul 6, 2001, 12:19:03 AM7/6/01
In article <3B6F...@MailAndNews.com>,
aleen the karaoke queen<al...@MailAndNews.com> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> "You're Having My Baby" by Paul Anka, if someone wrote a song like this for
> me I'd make him get a vasectomy

Well, there go my plans to woo you into my arms
with a song... <g>

-Jeff B. (walking hunched over from sympathy pain)
yeff at erols dot com

Mammahi

Jul 6, 2001, 1:36:01 AM7/6/01

"Dixon Hayes" <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message

Grrrrrr! Dixon. I loved that song.

I vote for Afternoon Delite

Anne
okieannie

Mammahi

Jul 6, 2001, 1:37:55 AM7/6/01
How about...

Aww it's so nice to be with you...

Ick!
Okieannie

"aleen the karaoke queen" <al...@MailAndNews.com> wrote in message

NJROB65

Jul 6, 2001, 2:00:36 AM7/6/01
There's a slew of 70's contenders for this dubious honor, many of which are
contained on the "Have A Nice Day" series by Rhino Records. There was some
excellent suggestions, especially by Tom(antipositivist). Here are some other
terrible tunes from the 70's:

"Heartbeat, It's a Lovebeat"- The DeFranco Family featuring Tony DeFranco

"Afternoon Delight"- Starland Vocal Band

"Billy, Don't Be a Hero"- Bo Donaldson & The Haywoods

"Seasons in the Sun"- Terry Jacks

"(You're) Having My Baby"- Paul Anka

"You Light Up My Life"- Debby Boone

"Don't Give Up on Us"- David Soul

One could easily include virtaully the entire output of the likes of Helen
Reddy and Donny Osmond(included as 70's artists) and not go wrong.

Two 80's song I really despised were "Arthur's Theme(Best That You Can Do)" and
"Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes, and I actually like Yes.

aleen the karaoke queen

Jul 6, 2001, 2:24:38 AM7/6/01
Ohhhhhhhh a good choice but not as bad as "The Bertha Butt Boogie" by the
Jimmy Castor Bunch!

NO QUESTION!
bomp...bomp...bump-a-dump...
the ground started shakin' no grass grew where she'd been!

yikes!

aleen the karaoke queen :-)

>===== Original Message From "Mammahi" <mam...@swbell.net> =====

Jason

Jul 6, 2001, 2:41:21 AM7/6/01
How to choose just one???

"Love Touch" by Rod Stewart (may have something to do with I heard it
almost every day in the summer of 1986)

"Never Been to Me" by Charlene

"Coward of the County" by Kenny Rogers

"All I Wanna Do is Make Love to You" by Heart (for the band and the
storyline in the lyrics)

David Ballarotto

Jul 6, 2001, 3:28:30 AM7/6/01

"badboyboogieman" <mdo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone wish to list their choices for worst songs ever.
> Is there any worse than "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro.

I was all ready to list a bunch of things from Destiny's Child, Britney, and
others, but I will tip my hat to you.
While "Survivor" may be one of the worst records ever, there's nothing
hokier than "Honey" and the guy coming home and saying "What the heck" when
his wife wrecks the car. Except maybe Mike Douglas' "The Boy in My Little
Girl's Life" or whatever it's called.

Dixon Hayes

Jul 6, 2001, 9:12:34 AM7/6/01
okieannie wrote:

>Grrrrrr! Dixon. I loved that song.
>
>I vote for Afternoon Delite

Not crazy about "Afternoon Delite" myself...but if it makes you feel better,
Anne, I have seen two or three songs I love already pop up in this thread,
especially on Tom's list. (Hey, I *like* Lionel Richie!)

WiNK

Jul 6, 2001, 10:53:12 AM7/6/01
I will put in votes for:
"Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast" by Wayne Newton
"Mule Skinner Blues" (I don't know who did this, I just hate it.)
"Hocus Pocus" by Focus (That yodeling part really gets to me)
"Jungle Fever" The Chakachas.... I don't even understand this stupid
thing.
"Muskrat Love" Captain and Tennille

Nadine

Nanc

Jul 6, 2001, 10:57:03 AM7/6/01
The Lion Sleeps Tonight always irked me
Nanc

Mammahi

Jul 6, 2001, 12:04:43 PM7/6/01

"Dixon Hayes" <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message

LOL Dixon,
I was just teasing you. I saw several I liked and even more I didn't.

Have A good One!
Okie

Sandy

Jul 6, 2001, 12:09:41 PM7/6/01

Alright....I have to stand up for my songs once again *sigh*... A lot of these
songs you mention are favorites of mine. I *do* however totally agree with
Buddys choice of "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston. Just because a
song doesn't make you want to bang your head or doesn't have some deep
philisophical meaning doesn't mean it can't be a good song! A lot of songs
like these are just either fun songs that have me just bopping along or songs
that tap into me emotionally. So :P!
:)

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

Sandy

Jul 6, 2001, 12:12:12 PM7/6/01
Well I'll throw in Heart of Glass by Blondie.
Never liked that one. There are many more but I'm not thinking of them right
now...get back to ya soon :)

Sandy

Jul 6, 2001, 12:14:45 PM7/6/01
>Ohhhhhhhh a good choice but not as bad as "The Bertha Butt Boogie" by the
>Jimmy Castor Bunch!
>
>NO QUESTION!
>bomp...bomp...bump-a-dump...
>the ground started shakin' no grass grew where she'd been!

Awww, come on.....you guys don't know how to have fun with a song??? :)

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Jul 6, 2001, 1:49:45 PM7/6/01

Many will probably consider this a sacrilege, but I always hated "Nights in
White Satin" and consider it increadibly boring and pretentious - which is
pretty much how I feel about the Mooody Blues, the band that gave us this
number (although I sort of like "A Whiter Shade of Pale").

I also really disliked "MacArthur Park" by Richard Harris, "In the Year 2525"
by Zager and Evans, and "Everything is Beautiful" by Ray Stevens, and "Song
Sung Blue" by Neil Diamond.

I consider Barbra Streisand very talented, but I hate her duet with Neil
Diamond, "You Don't Bring Me Flowers."
In fact, her singing on this is, I think, responsible for the shreak-singing
style so popular today (i.e., Celine Dionne, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey,
etc.) This song was also written by Alan and Marilyn Bergman, two songwriters
- who, along with Diane Warren - should be catipulted into outer space, hopefully
never to return to inflict noise pollution on the world again.

Sizz-aleen

Jul 6, 2001, 2:04:20 PM7/6/01
Tee hee, welllllllll Sandy, a friend of mine did once send me a
CHOREOGRAPHED
dance that you could do to accompany the Bertha Butt Boogie, no joke! I
think
unfortunately the website is now gone, otherwise I'd post the link so we ALL
could do the dance! I'll have to double-check that with him! See? I can
have fun with bad music! :-)

Have a wonderful day!

Sizz-aleen, everyone's favourite imitation bacon product

>===== Original Message From sand...@aol.com (Sandy) =====

Don't eat Sizzle-fat, eat Sizz-aleen!

Sizz-aleen

Jul 6, 2001, 2:10:13 PM7/6/01
Awwwwwww, no you can woo me into your arms all you want, and I PROMISE I
won't
do anything! I'll even make sure you can see both of my hands at all times!

:-)

Have a wonderful day!

Sizz-aleen, everyone's favourite imitation bacon product

>===== Original Message From Yeff <ye...@spamcop.net> =====
>In article <3B6F...@MailAndNews.com>,

> aleen the karaoke queen<al...@MailAndNews.com> wrote in

> alt.culture.us.1970s:

>> "You're Having My Baby" by Paul Anka, if someone wrote a song like this
for
>> me I'd make him get a vasectomy
>

>Well, there go my plans to woo you into my arms
>with a song... <g>
>
>-Jeff B. (walking hunched over from sympathy pain)
>yeff at erols dot com

Don't eat Sizzle-fat, eat Sizz-aleen!

WiNK

Jul 6, 2001, 2:54:27 PM7/6/01
I AGREE WITH SANDY!!! UP with crappy songs!! Forever!!!!

I HEARD MY MAMA CRY
I HEARD HER PRAY THE NIGHT CHICAGO DIED!!!!!!!

Nadine

Sandy <sand...@aol.com> wrote in message

WiNK

Jul 6, 2001, 2:56:33 PM7/6/01
Agree with you big time with the Moody Blues...... yawn yawn yawn.....and
Zager and Evans! If any song makes me turn the station in just seconds,
it's "In the Year 2525." How much talent did it take to write the lyrics
for that one???

Nadine

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

WiNK

Jul 6, 2001, 2:57:21 PM7/6/01
That's what I'm thinking......... :-)

Time to go listen to "Coconut" by Nilsson. :-)

Nadine

Sandy <sand...@aol.com> wrote in message

recsec

Jul 6, 2001, 3:33:00 PM7/6/01

"badboyboogieman" <mdo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone wish to list their choices for worst songs ever.

As I have stated before, the most lousy waste of valuable studio time was
committed by Gilbert O'Sullivan when he. . .ahem. . .sang Alone Again
Naturally. I wonder what is was that he did with all that money tho. You
know. The money his parents spent for singing lessons. Then there is God
Bless You by The Stylistics. BRB. I have to go & get sick just from
mentioning these songs. OK I am back now. Other suck ass songs are ANYTHING
by ANYBODY under the age of 35 in the 90's!!!! That whole grunge thing just
went right past me. It sucked LARGE HUGE ONES!!!! The same goes for what
they call alternative rock!!! Why in God's sweet name is there a need for an
alternative to rock & roll?? Besides isn't alternative rock called country
music?? And lastly just about anything that MTV plays sucks. God what
purveyors of crap music they are. Anybody remember when they used to be
good??
Billy

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Jul 6, 2001, 5:11:56 PM7/6/01

Billy, I basically agree with you about MTV; it sure has gone downhill from
what it once was (or once could have been).

I do, though, with all due respect, think that there is, or at least has
been something in music for which the term "alternative rock" served as a
somewhat descriptive term and refers to music which is an alternative to
the commercial mainstream and its prevailing sounds, styles, ideas, attitudes,
and commercial potentials. (I am curious as to what specific groups you have
in mind when you mention this term?) For example, in 1967 the Velvet Underground,
the Doors, and the Grateful Dead were all playing what might have been described
as free-form, neo-psychedelic music, and all were, at the time, cutting edge,
but of these bands, the Doors were clearly the most commercial; the Dead
went on to develop a large, devoutly loyal cult following, and became legendary
in the process; the Velvet Underground were probably the least commercial
and also the most overtly confrontational, selling only a few thousand copies
of their records and playing in small clubs and various odd places and yet,
being really influential, particularly with later generations of musicians.
IMHO, the Velvet Underground were far and away the best of these three bands.
I'd term the Velvet Underground, and also musicians and groups like the Stooges,
NY Dolls, Captain Beefheart, Modern Lovers, Can, Flaming Groovies, Residents,
Patti Smith, Television, Pere Ubu, and others, the various (1976-78)punk
bands, and various, creative and original post-punk bands as all examples
of alternative rock.

I don't necessarily think mainstream bands are bad. I love many of them -
Led Zeppelin, the Who, and early Aesrosmith, for instance. But I do think
that there are some differences between mainstream and non-mainstream (whatever
term you use to describe them with). The fact that, for example, Aerosmith
is a mainstream band is, as far as I can tell, part of the reason why they've
become so mediocre (even though they're probably capable of so much more).

Tom

Nazter@4200

Jul 6, 2001, 5:16:23 PM7/6/01
"badboyboogieman" <mdo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ys717.782$OW3.2...@monger.newsread.com>...
> Does anyone wish to list their choices for worst songs ever.
> Is there any worse than "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro.

There is a song called "Yes Sir, I Can Boogie" by Bacarra from the late 70s.
It is one of the worst songs I've ever heard, but I actually like listening
to it just to get a laugh :)

Imagine Charo with her thick Spanish accent singing "Don't Leave Me This Way".
I get a kick out of blasting this song and just laughing my ass off until
I'm in tears! :)

-Naz

mjoann

Jul 6, 2001, 6:04:40 PM7/6/01
On 6 Jul 2001 12:49:45 -0500, <antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Many will probably consider this a sacrilege, but I always hated "Nights in
>White Satin" and consider it increadibly boring and pretentious - which is
>pretty much how I feel about the Mooody Blues, the band that gave us this
>number (although I sort of like "A Whiter Shade of Pale").

HUH? "Whiter Shade of Pale" is Procol Harem (sp) although Justin
Hayward of the Moody Blues did a version of it on his solo album
Classic Blue.
In case you don't know, Nights is from their first album which is a
concept album entirely different from their other albums. It was a
record company project to promote Stereo albums via a fusion of
orchestra and rock. While I am sick of Nights, it would be ridiculous
to assume other Moodies songs are like that. Eg I'm Just a Singer (In
a Rock and Roll Band.)

With Seven Servers In California And Texas - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Jul 6, 2001, 6:14:39 PM7/6/01

Thanks for the correction. I was clearly confused over these two bands.

Nazter@4200

Jul 6, 2001, 6:40:14 PM7/6/01
"David Ballarotto" <ba...@stargate.net> wrote in message news:<tkaq4n1...@corp.supernews.com>...

> "badboyboogieman" <mdo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone wish to list their choices for worst songs ever.
> > Is there any worse than "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro.
> >

> I was all ready to list a bunch of things from Destiny's Child, Britney, and
> others, but I will tip my hat to you.
> While "Survivor" may be one of the worst records ever,

While I totally agree with you on "Survivor" as one of the worst
records ever,
I actually enjoy listening to the part "you know I'm not gonna diss
you on
the internet, 'coz my mama taught me better than that". I find that
line
really amusing! :-)

Speaking of Destiny's Child, a VERY amusing song by them is "Bills,
Bills, Bills". I think that song that song is created to make people
laugh! :)

"can you pay my bills, can you pay my telephone bills, can you pay my
automo-
bills...if you did then maybe we could chill! I don't think you
do...so, you
and me are THROUGH!" LOL!!!!!

-Naz

Marlene Blanshay

Jul 6, 2001, 6:53:44 PM7/6/01

Yuuuukkkk! ANything by Heart, except for "Magic Man." Everything they did
was phony trash. AN example of a band with great singers, talented
musicians- but who came up with the shittiest songs.

Dixon Hayes

Jul 6, 2001, 8:00:37 PM7/6/01
Nadine wrote:

>"Mule Skinner Blues" (I don't know who did this, I just hate it.)

Well I don't know how to say this buuuuuuuttt...

Elvis did at least one cover of it. (ducking)

Dixon Hayes

Jul 6, 2001, 8:02:35 PM7/6/01
Sandy wrote:

>I *do* however totally agree with
>Buddys choice of "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston.

I happen to really like that song...but the original version, by Dolly Parton.
Hers just takes Whitney out back and kicks her ass...

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Jul 6, 2001, 9:28:30 PM7/6/01
Boy I have met enough of those kinds of broads. I call them "hookers". But
that's really an insult to those angels of mercy who would make all of your
"troubles" go away for a fee.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"Nazter@4200" <n...@american.edu> wrote in message

Raphael

Jul 6, 2001, 11:01:45 PM7/6/01
badboyboogieman <mdo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone wish to list their choices for worst songs ever.
> Is there any worse than "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro.

Awesome topic! Nice to see the varied answers...although it worries me that
so many 'hated' songs are ones I like.

Some of my fave worsts:
Honey - Bobby Goldsboro
You're Having My Baby - Paul Anka (however, he is one of my favourite
singers to make up parody songs for... "I Believe There's Nothing Dumber
than This Song"....)
Baby Love - Supremes (honestly, her voice could peel paint, but this one in
particular sends me around the bend)
You Don't Bring Me Flowers - Diamond & Streisand (I'll get you the entire
flower shop if you'll stop singing!)
Muskrat Love - Cap'n & Tennille (what were they thinking?)
Feelings - Morris Albert (No, thankx...)
Can't We Try? - Dan Hill (AAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Macarthur Park - Any Version (well, if you wanted the cake so badly, why'd
you leave it out in the rain??)
Daddy Don't you Walk So Fast - Wayne Newton (always hated this one)
Last Kiss - any version (ick)
Alone Again (Naturally) - Gilbert O'Sullivan (blech)

Well, that's all for now (unless I go digging out more AM Gold CD's <G>)...

Erin ">

Yeff

Jul 7, 2001, 12:09:23 AM7/7/01
In article <mYu17.1816$hx1....@newscontent-01.sprint.ca>,
Raphael<raphe...@sprint.ca> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> Awesome topic! Nice to see the varied answers...although it worries me that
> so many 'hated' songs are ones I like.

I think many of the "worse" songs on the many
list would probably better be classified as
"overplayed". Afternoon Delight is on one of
the list and I've always considered that a
70s classic. I can still picture all of the
adults in the neighborhood wearing t-shirts
with that on it and my delight, years later,
when I suddenly understood the joke.

-Jeff B.

Dixon Hayes

Jul 7, 2001, 4:15:01 AM7/7/01
Buddy wrote:

>Boy I have met enough of those kinds of broads. I call them "hookers". But
>that's really an insult to those angels of mercy who would make all of your
>"troubles" go away for a fee.

To me, the only difference between a golddigger and a hooker is that a hooker
runs her own business...

The Wanderer

David Ballarotto

Jul 7, 2001, 7:42:19 AM7/7/01

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Dave, do you have any daughters? This song (The Men In My Little Girls
Life
> by Mike Douglas) has a way of redefining itself when you have some, I
guess.

> --
> Buddy
> from Brooklyn

To answer your question, no. But when he pretends to be her, calling him
"Popsy" it's puke city.

Stevie Nice

Jul 7, 2001, 12:17:08 PM7/7/01
> Many will probably consider this a sacrilege, but I always hated "Nights in
> White Satin" and consider it increadibly boring
and pretentious - which is

Amen My Brother!! Thank you!

> pretty much how I feel about the Mooody Blues, the band that gave us this
> number (although I sort of like "A Whiter Shade of Pale").

This was Procol Harum

> I also really disliked "MacArthur Park" by Richard Harris, "In the Year 2525"
> by Zager and Evans, and "Everything is Beautiful" by Ray Stevens, and "Song
> Sung Blue" by Neil Diamond.
>
> I consider Barbra Streisand very talented, but I hate her duet with Neil
> Diamond, "You Don't Bring Me Flowers."
> In fact, her singing on this is, I think, responsible for the shreak-singing
> style so popular today (i.e., Celine Dionne, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey,
> etc.) This song was also written by Alan and Marilyn Bergman, two songwriters
> - who, along with Diane Warren - should be catipulted into outer space, hopefully
> never to return to inflict noise pollution on the world again.

Amen My Brother Tom, you are clicking on all cylinders during this post!

Stevie Nice

Jul 7, 2001, 12:21:38 PM7/7/01
"WiNK" <elvis...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<aNn17.29$T3.179...@news.frii.net>...

> Agree with you big time with the Moody Blues...... yawn yawn yawn.....and
> Zager and Evans! If any song makes me turn the station in just seconds,
> it's "In the Year 2525." How much talent did it take to write the lyrics
> for that one???
>
> Nadine

Does this song STILL get airplay????

Stevie Nice

Jul 7, 2001, 12:24:53 PM7/7/01
"WiNK" <elvis...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<gLn17.28$T3.170...@news.frii.net>...

> I AGREE WITH SANDY!!! UP with crappy songs!! Forever!!!!
>
> I HEARD MY MAMA CRY
> I HEARD HER PRAY THE NIGHT CHICAGO DIED!!!!!!!
>

> Nadine

My two favorite crappy songs are DOA by Bloodrock and How Do You Do by
Mouth & MacNeal!!

Stevie Nice

Jul 7, 2001, 12:35:01 PM7/7/01
"badboyboogieman" <mdo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ys717.782$OW3.2...@monger.newsread.com>...
> Does anyone wish to list their choices for worst songs ever.
> Is there any worse than "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro.

I didn't see any mention of "The Lord's Prayer" by Sister Janet Mead
from 1973 or 74 in here, complete with its "hip" instrumentation!
Please SOMEBODY save me!!

Raphael

Jul 7, 2001, 1:15:27 PM7/7/01
Stevie Nice <stevi...@raidersfan.net> wrote in message

> Does this song STILL get airplay????

Heh, it does on the oldies station I usually listen to. It's actually
considered by some to be the 'best/greatest' one hit wonder...can't remember
where I read it, though.

Yet another one that I enjoy <G>.

Erin ">

Raphael

Jul 7, 2001, 1:20:47 PM7/7/01
Yeff <ye...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

> I think many of the "worse" songs on the many
> list would probably better be classified as
> "overplayed". Afternoon Delight is on one of
> the list and I've always considered that a
> 70s classic. I can still picture all of the
> adults in the neighborhood wearing t-shirts
> with that on it and my delight, years later,
> when I suddenly understood the joke.

Heh, sounds like my reaction to "Lola". Used to listen to it all of the
time at a friend's house, never understood the lyrics...or why her mother
used to laugh at us whenever we laughed at the song. We just thought it
sounded fun.

Now, if you wanna get into songs that are disliked because of
overkill...well...that's a whole new topic <G>.

Erin ">

Sandy

Jul 7, 2001, 1:35:40 PM7/7/01
>Many will probably consider this a sacrilege, but I always hated "Nights in
>White Satin" and consider it increadibly boring and pretentious - which is
>pretty much how I feel about the Mooody Blues,

I love that song Tom, but I've heard other people say they think it's, and the
Moody Blues are depressing. With their songs I can really relate when I've
been in a depression. Like the line "So many people, some hand in hand...just
what I'm going through they can't understand" I felt such a connection to that
when I was going through a really bad time.

Sandy

Jul 7, 2001, 1:37:03 PM7/7/01
>Hey Tom A Whiter Shade Of Pale was done by Procol Harum.

And one of John Lennons favs!

Sandy

Jul 7, 2001, 1:38:13 PM7/7/01
>I AGREE WITH SANDY!!! UP with crappy songs!! Forever!!!!

Yah, Nadine!!! Let us crappy song fans unite!!!!! :)

Sandy

Jul 7, 2001, 1:39:21 PM7/7/01
>"I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston.
>
>I happen to really like that song...but the original version, by Dolly
>Parton.
>Hers just takes Whitney out back and kicks her ass...

Oh I do too Dixon. It is totally a different song than when Whitney does it.

Sandy

Jul 7, 2001, 1:40:43 PM7/7/01
>That's what I'm thinking......... :-)
>
>Time to go listen to "Coconut" by Nilsson. :-)

Put the Lime in the Coconut...and you'll feel better! :)

I can always count on you Nadine :)

Sandy

Jul 7, 2001, 1:42:20 PM7/7/01
>Tee hee, welllllllll Sandy, a friend of mine did once send me a
>CHOREOGRAPHED
>dance that you could do to accompany the Bertha Butt Boogie, no joke! I
>think
>unfortunately the website is now gone, otherwise I'd post the link so we ALL
>could do the dance! I'll have to double-check that with him! See? I can
>have fun with bad music! :-)

Good girl Jolie!!!!! I knew you could ;)

Sandy

Jul 7, 2001, 1:47:54 PM7/7/01
>I think many of the "worse" songs on the many
>list would probably better be classified as
>"overplayed".

Good point Jeff B....There were songs that I started out liking but ended up
*hating* because of the overkill.

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Jul 7, 2001, 2:36:55 PM7/7/01
Well, yeah but that was coming from a generation that were parents in the
'50s. And you WILL see some '50s movies where teenage girls refer to their
parents that way. Today they would probably refer to their fathers as "Him",
or by his first name (the little brats).

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"David Ballarotto" <ba...@stargate.net> wrote in message

Yeff

Jul 7, 2001, 3:05:27 PM7/7/01
In article <bFI17.27317$C81.2...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
The Wanderer<rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> Today they would probably refer to their fathers as "Him",
> or by his first name (the little brats).

If I'd every called my parents by their first
names my mom would've shot me a backhand to
the stomach (I grew sorta used to those -
the price you pay for being a smart ass) and
my dad would've punched a hole in my chest.

Reminds me of the great Cosby skit where his
father had him lay out in the drive way so
he could run him over with the car.

Yeff

Jul 7, 2001, 3:02:27 PM7/7/01
In article <20010707134754...@ng-mf1.aol.com>,
Sandy<sand...@aol.com> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> Good point Jeff B...

Yeff.
Miss Jackson if you're nasty. ;-)

-Jeff B. (seriously foncused today)

Nazter@4200

Jul 7, 2001, 5:39:29 PM7/7/01
stevi...@raidersfan.net (Stevie Nice) wrote in message news:<23f3443b.01070...@posting.google.com>...

> "WiNK" <elvis...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<aNn17.29$T3.179...@news.frii.net>...
> > Agree with you big time with the Moody Blues...... yawn yawn yawn.....and
> > Zager and Evans! If any song makes me turn the station in just seconds,
> > it's "In the Year 2525." How much talent did it take to write the lyrics
> > for that one???
> >
> > Nadine
>
> Does this song STILL get airplay????

Hey Stevie! :)

Yup, if you turn the dial on an oldies station. I've heard it quite a few
times in the past month. It sucks more and more everytime I listen to it :)

Ok, how come I haven't seen anyone mention "Seasons In the Sun" by Terry Jacks?

-Naz

Dixon Hayes

Jul 7, 2001, 5:56:01 PM7/7/01
Stevie Nice wrote:

>My two favorite crappy songs are DOA by Bloodrock and How Do You Do by
>Mouth & MacNeal!!

My personal musical guilty pleasure is "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas...

Marlene Blanshay

Jul 7, 2001, 6:21:05 PM7/7/01
In article <5zt17.26326$C81.2...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Dave, do you have any daughters? This song (The Men In My Little Girls Life
> by Mike Douglas) has a way of redefining itself when you have some, I guess.
>
> --
> Buddy
> from Brooklyn

Which reminds me of that awful song, "Hey little girl" by Jack Jones.
Gaaak! The ultimate chauvinist jerk song! First he refers to a grown woman
as a little girl, then gives her marital advice on how to look good for
her man when he comes home! Even in 1966 it was totally offensive! (At the
time I really WAS a little girl, and didn't know he was referring to a
grown woman, LOL).

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Jul 7, 2001, 6:51:42 PM7/7/01

dixon...@aol.comspamless (Dixon Hayes) wrote:
>Stevie Nice wrote:
>
>>My two favorite crappy songs are DOA by Bloodrock and How Do You Do by
>>Mouth & MacNeal!!
>
>My personal musical guilty pleasure is "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas...

Mine's "Da Doo Ron Ron," but the Shaun Cassidy version; it's too easy to
stand up for the Crystals (or anything else produced by Phil Spector in his
heyday).

Tom

Sandy

Jul 7, 2001, 8:28:36 PM7/7/01
>Would that be like "Gettin' your shit together"? LOL

Hmmm.....I guess so!
: )

Jeff Troutman

Jul 7, 2001, 9:11:45 PM7/7/01
"WiNK" <elvis...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Muskrat Love" Captain and Tennille

America's version of this is even worse, IMO.

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

Jul 7, 2001, 9:14:37 PM7/7/01
"Sandy" <sand...@aol.com> wrote:
> >Hey Tom A Whiter Shade Of Pale was done by Procol Harum.
> >

> And one of John Lennons favs!

I like Procol's first three LPs quite a bit, actually. After that, though,
they are hit and miss.

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

Jul 7, 2001, 9:15:23 PM7/7/01
"Nazter@4200" <n...@american.edu> wrote:

> Ok, how come I haven't seen anyone mention "Seasons In the Sun" by Terry
Jacks?

Too easy?

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

Jul 7, 2001, 9:17:34 PM7/7/01
<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> Many will probably consider this a sacrilege, but I always hated "Nights
in
> White Satin" and consider it increadibly boring and pretentious - which is
> pretty much how I feel about the Mooody Blues, the band that gave us this
> number (although I sort of like "A Whiter Shade of Pale").

I don't think it's that bad, really. It's the orchestra swells that kill
it. Way overdone.

And the poetry is just funny. Try doing it with a Southern accent.

Jeff Troutman

Anne

Jul 7, 2001, 10:10:45 PM7/7/01
Okay, after reading posts for a few days, I guess I'll put in my thoughts now.
A lot of the songs that people listed as their "worst" are tunes I actually
like a lot. I guess a song doesn't always have to have some deep meaning or
being perfectly composed in order for me to enjoy it. A lot of the songs just
bring back warm memories and that is the basis, I imagine, for why I like them
so much. Certain songs can just make you feel like you're enjoying a fun
summer night again, hanging out on the streets with your friends, playing tag
or hide and seek or some other great street game. So what if it's "music
lite." It sparks a feeling inside and that's enough for me. I agree that some
of the songs were way overplayed and, therefore, the appeal was eventually
lost. Still, songs, like sounds, smells and tastes can evoke a feeling from
long ago that brings a lot of pleasure when you are facing all the adult issues
and problems that we sometimes have to deal with. Music has always been an
escape and moreso now than ever before. Like everything else, music is
subjective. We, probably more than a lot of newsgroups, have always seemed to
foster the feeling of disagreeing without being disagreeable. That's why we
can all come here and say what we like and know we'll all still be buddies,
musical tastes notwithstanding.
Anne :-)
Class of 1980

WiNK

Jul 7, 2001, 10:42:02 PM7/7/01
Or the flip side of that 45..."Put the Bone In." A SCREAM!

Nadine

Jeff Troutman <yourhe...@starpower.net> wrote in message

Mammahi

Jul 8, 2001, 2:27:28 AM7/8/01

"Dixon Hayes" <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message
Oh Dixon, me too!
Anne

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Jul 8, 2001, 10:33:25 AM7/8/01

Anne, I agree with you and think that songs can be enjoyed on a lot of different
levels, including nostalgia; It IS rather subjective. I can remember becoming
very nostalgiac for 70s hard rock around the time that Aerosmith came back
in the mid to late 80s, first with the remake with Run-DMC of "Walk This
Way," and then with their terrific "Permanent Vacation" record. I hadn't
been listening to much 70s rock in the years prior to this, but I then wanted
to hear a lot of the old stuff.

I also have a definite soft spot in my heart for the goofy singles of my
youth, the "Billy Don't Be a Hero"'s and the "Afternoon Delight"'s of the
world. In fact, I have a couple of those 70s AM Gold CD compilations, and
enjoy feeling 12 again when I hear this stuff. I don't think, though, that
I'll ever learn to appreciate the sappy love ballads of Lionel Ritchie, though
:).

Anyway, all songs/musicians have a right to exist. My quarrel is less with
musicians, and more with the music industry (and more generally, the entertainment
industry) which tries to shove the commercial product down our throats but
which makes it hard for us to find the really good, obscure stuff (and which
also makes it hard for innovative, less commercial artists to make a living).
I go into my video store and they have about 50 copies of "The Ladies Man"
on the shelf, and no copies of a lot of things I'd like to see. I've also
been searching, frustratedly, for certain obscure CDs, which no record stores
seem to carry. That frustrates me.

I know I get very passionate about the art (music, films, etc.) I like. You
saw how I reacted to CBGB. Hopefully, we can be so without being snobbish
or elitist about our passions.

Tom

Stevie Nice

Jul 8, 2001, 2:51:10 PM7/8/01
"WiNK" <elvis...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<yHP17.55$T3.170...@news.frii.net>...

> Or the flip side of that 45..."Put the Bone In." A SCREAM!
>
> Nadine

OMG Nadine!! We have a WINNNNA! You said it honey!! I'm looking for my
45 right now!!

np U Remind Me by Usher

Stevie Nice

Jul 8, 2001, 2:53:59 PM7/8/01
"Jeff Troutman" <yourhe...@starpower.net> wrote in message news:<9i8cel$h25$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...

WOOOOF! You said it Jeff! Put this side by side with "Put The Bone In"!!!!

np I'll Fly With You by Gigi D'Agostino

Kelly

Jul 8, 2001, 2:39:54 PM7/8/01

"Anne " <al...@aol.com> wrote in message

> A lot of the songs that people listed as their "worst" are tunes I
actually
> like a lot. I guess a song doesn't always have to have some deep meaning
or
> being perfectly composed in order for me to enjoy it. A lot of the songs
just
> bring back warm memories and that is the basis, I imagine, for why I like
them
> so much.

I am the same way Anne. I was just sorting through my CD's. Plenty of what I
have in there some would say is crap. But the memories that they bring me
are priceless.

Some of the memories are fairly recent. Driving through the Rocky Mountains
the weekend before July 4th last year. Amazed at the snow. With Andrea
Bocelli on the car stereo.

Buying my first album, the Bay City Rollers, and listening to it endlessly.

Being a senior in high school, and having my long term crush sing Marshall
Crenshaw's "Someday, Someway" to me.

Being a spoiled 11 year old and getting pissed off because my parent's
wouldn't let me see Shaun Cassidy. The same summer being eternally grateful
to my grandfather for getting me tickets for Andy Gibb. And my Aunt Kathie
for braving the teeny boppers to take my sister and I to see him.

Racing my friend Jeanette's Pinto down Ocean Parkway because we were running
late to see Howard Jones at Jones Beach when I was 18.

Driving to Montauk Point in the middle of the night just for the hell of it.
Getting home past dawn with no voice from singing our hearts out.

Crying over Air Supply songs, acting out Barry Manilow's Coppacabana and the
soundtrack to Grease in my basement. All the road trip tapes we made. And
the party tapes we made.

Did we listen to crap. You bet your ass most of it was. But it was our crap.
I wouldn't give those memories up for the world!

Kelly

Nazter@4200

Jul 8, 2001, 6:48:01 PM7/8/01
"Jeff Troutman" <yourhe...@starpower.net> wrote in message news:<9i8cpi$ijm$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...

Oh gosh...I think I've fallen and I can't get up....from laughing sooo
hard!!! LOL :)

-Naz

Laura Anderer

Jul 8, 2001, 6:59:08 PM7/8/01
Don't know if it's been mentioned... Gilbert O'Sullivan, Alone Again.. This
song always makes me sad, but I still think it's real bad...

"Nazter@4200" <n...@american.edu> wrote in message

Anne

Jul 8, 2001, 10:21:44 PM7/8/01
Tom wrote:

<< I also have a definite soft spot in my heart for the goofy singles of my
youth, the "Billy Don't Be a Hero"'s and the "Afternoon Delight"'s of the
world. In fact, I have a couple of those 70s AM Gold CD compilations, and enjoy
feeling 12 again when I hear this stuff. >>

I guess that was my point too....you can like all that stuff and still want to
experience more. It doesn't make one choice better or worse. It's just
different and you like each for a distinctive reason. BTW, I'm glad you still
like some of those old tunes too!

<< My quarrel is less with musicians, and more with the music industry (and
more generally, the entertainment
industry) which tries to shove the commercial product down our throats but
which makes it hard for us to find the really good, obscure stuff (and which
also makes it hard for innovative, less commercial artists to make a living).

Again, I see your point and agree with you. I don't believe that anything you
appreciate is "bad" music per se. I just don't happen to be a big fan of the
same types of music as you. It's just like foods......I don't like lobster,
while others love it. It's all about taste. Just because we don't like the
same things doesn't make either of us right or wrong. But I can see your
view that because a majority of people like, or are only exposed to what the
industry is willing to produce, it leaves some artists out in the cold, thereby
never allowing us to hear anything new and make our own judgment of it. It's
typical of every industry that's controlled and I can understand your
frustration with it.

<< I know I get very passionate about the art (music, films, etc.) I like. You
saw how I reacted to CBGB. Hopefully, we can be so without being snobbish or
elitist about our passions >>

And your passion serves this group well. :-) Your contributions are always
intriguing and have illuminated me about things I would have never known. I
guess I was basically trying to get across the same message as you. I hope I
didn't come across as being snobbish or elitist. It wasn't my intention. I
was just providing my point of view on some of the types of music I really
enjoy listening to still. I do listen to current stuff as well, but those old
AM Gold kinda hits will always have a place in my heart as well.

And, well, Lionel Ritchie or any other balladeer.....I won't even say what I
think on that.....lol. I just remind you that I am a woman given to
sentimental bents. ;-)

Anne

Jul 8, 2001, 10:24:13 PM7/8/01
Kelly wrote: << I am the same way Anne. I was just sorting through my CD's.

Plenty of what I have in there some would say is crap. But the memories that
they bring me are priceless. >>

I'm right there with you, Kel. Call it crap, call it nonsense, call it
whatever you want.....but it's fun and when you hear one of those songs and
immediately start belting it out, it just makes you feel GOOD! ;-)

<< I wouldn't give those memories up for the world!>>

Me neither, my friend.

Kelly

Jul 9, 2001, 1:29:58 AM7/9/01

"Anne " <al...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Kelly wrote: << I am the same way Anne. I was just sorting through my
CD's.
> Plenty of what I have in there some would say is crap. But the memories
that
> they bring me are priceless. >>
>
> I'm right there with you, Kel. Call it crap, call it nonsense, call it
> whatever you want.....but it's fun and when you hear one of those songs
and
> immediately start belting it out, it just makes you feel GOOD! ;-)

Isn't that the point of music or any kind of art for that matter? It is
suppose to make you feel something. Sometimes joy, sometimes saddness, etc.

> << I wouldn't give those memories up for the world!>>
>
> Me neither, my friend.

You are a wise woman.

Kelly

The Wanderer

Anne

Jul 9, 2001, 12:28:25 PM7/9/01
<< Yeah, but what music makes you dance on tables?

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn >>

That is a closely held secret. ;-)

MartiDave

Jul 9, 2001, 1:57:49 PM7/9/01
In article <20010709122825...@ng-mn1.aol.com>, al...@aol.com (Anne
) writes:

>That is a closely held secret. ;-)
>Anne :-)
>Class of 1980

You're among friends, besides whisper it softly and those of us who hear will
never tell.

Dave Spiegel

Lenny Smith

Jul 9, 2001, 3:18:21 PM7/9/01

antipos...@127.0.0.1 wrote in message
<3b45...@spamkiller.newsgroups.com>...

>I thought of yet another:
>
>Clint Holmes - "Playground in my Mind"
>(the immortal duet with the kid, with both singers singing "My name is
Michael/I've
>a Nickel/I've Got a Nickel/Shiny and New/I'm Gonna Buy Me/All Kinds of
Candy/That's
>What I'm Gonna Do")

Ooooh, which puts ME in mind of the immortally bad, "I've Got a Brand New
Roller Skate, You've Got a Brand New Key" song by Melanie... Boy, if only
she'd left well enough alone with "Lay Down Candles (in the rain)."

Lenny

Anne

Jul 9, 2001, 6:17:58 PM7/9/01
<< You're among friends, besides whisper it softly and those of us who hear
will never tell.

Dave Spiegel>>

Okay since you're all friends, I'll whisper....it's '' '''' '''''' '''. Did
you hear it? Shhhh, don't tell now. *grin*

Lenny Smith

Jul 9, 2001, 6:10:12 PM7/9/01

Stevie Nice wrote in message
<23f3443b.01070...@posting.google.com>...

>My two favorite crappy songs are DOA by Bloodrock and How Do You Do by
>Mouth & MacNeal!!

DOA by Bloodrock is a GREAT crappy song!!!

Lenny

Lenny Smith

Jul 9, 2001, 6:11:41 PM7/9/01

antipos...@127.0.0.1 wrote in message
<3b47927e$1...@spamkiller.newsgroups.com>...

>>My personal musical guilty pleasure is "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl
Douglas...

>Mine's "Da Doo Ron Ron," but the Shaun Cassidy version; it's too easy to
>stand up for the Crystals (or anything else produced by Phil Spector in his
>heyday).

True... and Shaun Cassidy has gone and proven himself ultra-COOL by
creating American Gothic, one of the more twisted TV shows I've ever seen...

Lenny

Nazter@4200

Jul 9, 2001, 6:29:45 PM7/9/01
al...@aol.com (Anne ) wrote in message news:<20010708222144...@ng-cr1.aol.com>...

> And, well, Lionel Ritchie or any other balladeer.....I won't even say what I
> think on that.....lol. I just remind you that I am a woman given to
> sentimental bents. ;-)
>

> Anne :-)
> Class of 1980

That's just the thing, Anne. Men don't understand...wait, I should
say REFUSE to understand that a lot of women like sentimental music
and movies. I mean, even my butch sister (no, she's NOT a lesbian!)
likes sentimental movies, even though she scares most men everytime
she sings (she's as aggressive as Janis Joplin when she sings). My
sis even likes Lionel Ritchie, fer-chris-sakes!!! :)

Personally, I think it's a facade. Men don't like showing their
emotional side in public. I say get over it! :-)

-Naz

Lenny Smith

Jul 9, 2001, 6:15:52 PM7/9/01

WiNK wrote in message <1dk17.13$T3.170...@news.frii.net>...
>I will put in votes for:
>"Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast" by Wayne Newton

Good call...

>"Mule Skinner Blues" (I don't know who did this, I just hate it.)

Oooooh, this was by The Fendermen, redone by Dolly Parton and The Cramps,
among others. How you can call ANY song that artists as different as Dolly
and The Cramps would want to do "crappy," I don't quite get, but... Well, I
dunno, ME, I love it! ; )

>"Hocus Pocus" by Focus (That yodeling part really gets to me)

LOL--and I love yodelling songs...

>"Jungle Fever" The Chakachas.... I don't even understand this stupid
>thing.

and I'm partial to those stupid "Ooga chaka"'s... (In a 1960's music group
I frequent, we once had a great thread on songs that would most be enhanced
by "Ooga chaka"'s, LOL!).

>"Muskrat Love" Captain and Tennille

Well, there, THAT'S crappy! ; )

Lenny

Lenny Smith

Jul 9, 2001, 6:21:43 PM7/9/01

antipos...@127.0.0.1 wrote in message <3b45...@news.newsgroups.com>...

>Many will probably consider this a sacrilege, but I always hated "Nights in
>White Satin" and consider it increadibly boring and pretentious - which is
>pretty much how I feel about the Mooody Blues

Yes, but without this overblown opus, we'd never have had the pleasure of
hearing the Dickies' high speed rendition...

>I also really disliked <snip> "In the Year 2525"
>by Zager and Evans

Boy, until I got on the internet, I never realized how many people hate this
song. I STILL like it, LOL! Say, who did the punk rock remake, anyway?

Lenny

It is loading more messages.