My CD collection - some stats

1 view

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 12, 2001, 5:58:51 PM11/12/01

What are some of the highlights of your CD collections?

I just spent some time putting together a database of my currently existing
CD collection, using Excel.

I had a feeling that I had quite a few CDs (I've been collecting them over
the past nine years), but I didn't know exactly how many. Now I do. 557 to
be exact.

I decided to enter my CD info into the spreadsheet by artist, title, label,
year/original year, genre, and subgenre (which was sometimes a judgement
call). What I discovered is that, of the 557, 313 (or 56%) are rock CDs,
50 (.089) are jazz, 28 are classical or 20th C. compositional/experimental,
and 25 are pop (everything from Abba to the "Go" soundtrack through various
retro compilations. The remainder are a wide variety of different categories,
such as blues, country, lounge/exotica, reggae, soul, techno, hip hop, etc.
I've also got two muzak collections, a couple of novelty CDs (including a
rather cheesy one of William Shatner reciting song lyrics over an orchestral
score), and a handful which I wasn't entirely sure how to categorize (featuring
such unique performers as Captain Beefheart, the Shaggs, and the Sun City
Girls). Most of the rock CDs are in the punk and post-punk/alternative rock
category. So, for me, at least according to my CD collection, my two favorite
genres of music seem to be (punkish) rock and jazz (particularly from the
50s and 60s).

I noticed too that there where certain artists, or composers, for whom I
have multiple CDs (in some cases, I may only have a single CD by a particular
artist, and more of their stuff on either tape or vinyl). Of the CDs, though,
I have at least 3 for all of the following artists: J.S. Bach, W.A. Mozart,
Bob Dylan, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Cal Tjader, Frank
Sinatra, Charlie Parker, Tom Waits, Sonic Youth, the Magnetic Fields, the
Bats, Blur, the Clash, the Clean, the Fall, Fugazi, the Grifters, Guided
By Voices, the Kinks, Luna, My Bloody Valentine, Pavement, the Ramones, Lou
Reed, Patti Smith, the Smithereens, Sonic Youth, Soundgarden, Bruce Springsteen,
Stereolab, Sugar, Matthew Sweet, Throbbing Gristle, the Who, Yo La Tengo,
the Velvet Underground.

I now want to do some more databases for vinyl, tapes, and books, next.

Tom

-------------------
Men of good fortune, very often can't do a thing
While men of poor beginnings, often can do anything.
At heart they try to act like a man.
Handle things the best way they can
They have no rich daddy to fall back on.

--Lou Reed (Berlin, 1973)

Larry N

Nov 12, 2001, 10:42:06 PM11/12/01
You must have really projected your database idea. Over the weekend,
Jamie and I were talking about doing the same thing... CDs first, then
vinyl and cassettes. In my case, I suspect we'll find the scale
leaning heavily toward 60s and 70s pop/rock and soul.

Larry

Still the Oldies Rocker

MollyFa

Nov 12, 2001, 11:11:08 PM11/12/01
Hey, Tom, you gave me an idea. Maybe next weekend I'll do the same thing. I don't
have nearly as many CDs as you do, but I think I have that many cassette tapes.

Molly

KavisD

Nov 12, 2001, 11:12:43 PM11/12/01
If you have Microsoft Access, it has a built in DBS for keeping track of
your music. I don't recall if it gives you the options of distinguishing
between cassette, CD or vinyl - you might have to modify it a bit to suit
your needs.

--

/------------
}B-) > --<////////>

"Larry N" <thejuk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Kelly

Nov 12, 2001, 11:24:16 PM11/12/01

KavisD wrote

> If you have Microsoft Access, it has a built in DBS for keeping track of
> your music. I don't recall if it gives you the options of distinguishing
> between cassette, CD or vinyl - you might have to modify it a bit to suit
> your needs.

It does let you add the format. I have been doing the same thing with my CD
collection. It is a hellish task.

Kelly
(who needs something better to do with her time)

KavisD

Nov 12, 2001, 11:59:36 PM11/12/01
"Kelly" <not_my_ema...@xxx.com> wrote in message

> KavisD wrote
> > If you have Microsoft Access, it has a built in DBS for keeping track of
> > your music. I don't recall if it gives you the options of
distinguishing
> > between cassette, CD or vinyl - you might have to modify it a bit to
suit
> > your needs.
> >

> It does let you add the format. I have been doing the same thing with my
CD
> collection. It is a hellish task.

Yeah, I can imagine. I personally have a zillion CDs, cassettes, and vinyl
albums and 45s that I have yet to catalogue. That in addition to the 100 or
so blank tapes that I've been recording things on over the past year or so,
which I have yet to catalogue either. I think I'll have to retire for a
year or so to get anything done.

Dixon Hayes

Nov 13, 2001, 12:11:14 AM11/13/01
Tom wrote:

>I just spent some time putting together a database of my currently existing
>CD collection, using Excel.

I just piled mine on top of my collection of videos. :-)

BTW my highlights including Springsteen, the Beatles, and various blues discs.
Etta James gets an especially heavy workout on my player...

Dixon
===========
"I'm not standing in the stag line with Old Man Perkins and a bunch of
slumped-over teenaged boys!"
--Barney Fife

Classic Hollywood Squares: http://www.classicsquares.com

The Wanderer

Nov 13, 2001, 9:12:05 AM11/13/01

"Dixon Hayes" <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in Etta James gets an

especially heavy workout on my player...

Now Dix, I thought you said that you hadn't had any action lately.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

Dixon Hayes

Nov 13, 2001, 9:19:38 AM11/13/01
Buddy wrote:

>Now Dix, I thought you said that you hadn't had any action lately.

Well I still listen...anyway, the problem is getting a woman up to my
apartment. Once I do *that*, Marvin's magic takes over (or Barry's or a few
others)...

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 13, 2001, 9:19:03 AM11/13/01

Make it 566. I just joined Columbia House and added the following CDs to the
collection:

PJ Harvey - Storie from the City, Stories from the Sea
Cheap Trick - Greatest Hits (I have Kelly to thank for this one)
Carole King - Greatest Hits
Luther Vandross - Greatest Hits (a terrific singer who, unfortunately, too
often suffers from rather maudlin production values)
soundtrack - Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou?
Beck - Mutations
Ministry - Greatest Hits
Macy Gray - On How Life Is
Lucinda Williams - Essence

Tiny Dancer

Nov 13, 2001, 10:08:22 AM11/13/01
And so the word went out from <antipos...@127.0.0.1>:

>What are some of the highlights of your CD collections?

My 3-CD Harry Chapin box set, "Story Of A Life". The live bootleg of Elton's
"First Visit - 1971" and the 4-CD Elton set called "To Be Continued" (very
hard to find these days, best track is the early demo of "Your Song" that
sends chills down my spine it's so lovely). A fab Frank Sinatra CD called
"The Capitol Collector's Series" with 20 tracks including my all-time fave
Frank tune, "All The Way". And, of course, the CD version of my parents'
album and the 2-CD set Anne made of my home movies soundtrack :-)

>I just spent some time putting together a database of my currently existing
>CD collection, using Excel.
>
>I had a feeling that I had quite a few CDs (I've been collecting them over
>the past nine years), but I didn't know exactly how many. Now I do. 557 to
>be exact.

Yee gads, Tom, 557?! Man, makes my 122 look like a drop in the bucket.
Where on earth do you find the room in that little apartment of yours? :-)
My collection breaks down like so. Aside from individual albums by an
artist (most '70s pop/rock, some jazz, some current groups like matchbox
twenty, Goo Goo Dolls, Adam Cohen, Amanda Marshall, Marc Cohn):

24 - retro collections/soundtracks (most are Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies)
15 - Elton John
6 - Harry Chapin (including the 3 from the set)
6 - Holly Cole (with and without the Trio)
4 - Barenaked Ladies
3 - Kate Bush
3 - Simon & Garfunkel (2 are a collection of their 5 albums)
2 - Crosby, Stills & Nash
2 - Trooper
2 - Frank Sinatra
2 - Barry Manilow

I used to have a kick-ass vinyl collection oh so long ago, probably close
to 400 albums, but they almost all disappeared during that break-in I've
mentioned before. I now have about 100 vinyls, almost all re-purchased
from my original collection which really burns my toast. Albums I bought
for 5 bucks back then and I have to pay at least twice as much for 'em now :-P

Cheers,

TD

Bought all the Beatles records
I sounded just like Paul
I bought all the old Chuck Berry's 78's and all
from Mac Davis' "Rock And Roll (I Gave You The Best Years Of My Life)"

For a good time call
http://the70s.cjb.net

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_Dancer/index.html

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 13, 2001, 10:42:50 AM11/13/01

ti...@idirect.com (Tiny Dancer) wrote:

Rhonda, my heart breaks for you to have lost your vinyl. I've sold a few
records, tapes and CDs over the years, as well as loaned some things out
and not gotten them back, but for the most part, I've held onto my vinyl.

I really wasn't sure if 556 is a lot. :-). It doesn't seem like that many,
but I guess I am the collector type.

I just went and got a box of 45s, which was sitting on top of a closet shelf,
and opened it. Here is some of the contents (some with the little yellow
plastic holders in them). They span from around 1964 to around 1981, with
the older ones being originally owned by my older sister:

Blondie - Rapture
The Clash - Groovy Times/Gates of the West
Parliament - Flash Light
Parliament - Tear the Roof off the Sucker
Donna Summer - The Wanderer (Buddy, do you own this?)
Paul and Linda McCartney - Hi, Hi, Hi
The Monkees - A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You
The Beatles - Paperback Writer
The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night
The Beatles - I'm Happy Just to Dance With You
Adam and the Ants - Stand and Deliver
Flipper - Love Canal/Ha Ha Ha
Flipper - Get Away
The Misfits - Horror Business
The Pop Group - We are all Prostitutes
The Wild Stares - All We Want
Dangerous Birds - Alpha Romeo
Gen X - Dancing With Myself
Magazine - About the Weather
The Normal - Warm Leatherette/TVOD
The Beach Boys - Do It Again
Glen Miller and his Orchestra - St. Louis Blues
Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmastime/Feed the World
Beatles - Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields
Buzzcocks - What Do I Get
John Lennon - Instant Karma
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Earth, Wind and Fire - Shining Star
Beatles - Hello Goodbye/I am the Walrus
Ringo Starr - No No Song
Beatles - Hey Jude/Revolution
Andy Gibb - Love Is Thicker Than Water (WTF am I doing with this???)
Herman's Hermits - Dandy
Cream - Sunshine of your Love
Beach Boys - Girl Don't Tell Me/Barbara Ann
The Mamas and the Papas - Words of Love
The Archies - Bang Shang a Lang
Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
Wings - Silly Love Songs
Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild/Magic Carpet Ride
Oliver - Good Morning Starshine
Beatles - Let It Be
Beach Boys - Help Me Rhonda (your song, TD!)/Do You Wanna Dance
Beach Boys - California Girls
Wings - Mull of Kintyre/Girls' School
Alan Parsons - I Wouldn't Want to Be Like You
Marvin Hamlish - The Sting
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son/Down on the Corner
1910 Fruitgum Company - 1,2,3 Red Light/Sticky, Sticky
Magazine - Touch and Go/Goldfinger

I imagine these are probably worth quite a bit, particularly the Beatles
and Beach Boys ones, although they're not exactly in mint condition.

Tom
(who desparately needs a functioning turntable)

Raphael

Nov 13, 2001, 11:08:38 AM11/13/01
<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> Rhonda, my heart breaks for you to have lost your vinyl. I've sold a few
> records, tapes and CDs over the years, as well as loaned some things out
> and not gotten them back, but for the most part, I've held onto my vinyl.

Likewise...a lot of my colleciton is still vinyl and I'd never part with it.
I've got 25+ Beatles' bootlegs and I don't know if I'd be able to replace
them. According to my latest list, I've got 505 albums/cds/cassettes. My
best friend has close to 1000.

Of my 505:

96 - Beatles
40 - Monkees
37 - Beatles' solo (John-7; Paul-17; George-9; Ringo-4)
30 - Time Life's "AM Gold" series
11 - Alice Cooper
10 - Iron Maiden (funniest alphabetizing goes to "How The Grinch Stole
Christmas", sandwiched between Buddy Holly & Iron Maiden <G>)

Haven't even begun to categorize my 45's. Simpsons once had a huge sale and
was selling 45's for 10 cents each...I bought 'em, whether I knew the song
or not, so I've got a bunch of songs that I've almost never listened to.

Creature from the Black Lagoon
Funky Space Reincarnation
Theme from Gilligan's Island (ok, this one I at least knew)

That's not to say I don't have stuff I want, got a lot of those, too (After
nearly 20 years of looking, I found "Love Is A Railroad" by the
PepperTree!!!)

> Andy Gibb - Love Is Thicker Than Water (WTF am I doing with this???)

You don't want it?? <G>

I really do need to see what I've got, 45-wise...

Erin ">

The Wanderer

Kelly

Nov 13, 2001, 11:59:55 AM11/13/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote
> Ministry - Greatest Hits

I have to burn this one!

Don't you dare buy anything I own. Just give me the name of the CD and I can
burn you a copy. I may not have any money but I have a load of blank cd's.

Kelly

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 13, 2001, 12:05:33 PM11/13/01

I'll show you my list if you show me yours.

Tom

The Wanderer

Kelly

Nov 13, 2001, 12:26:01 PM11/13/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote

> I'll show you my list if you show me yours.
>
> Tom

Tom I have seen your list (blush).

Didn't you post most of your music on the orginial thread?

Kelly

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 13, 2001, 1:59:47 PM11/13/01

Btw, I am totally loving the Macy Gray CD; she's a real throwback, coming
spiritually from the Sly and the Family Stone/Parliament-Funkadelic late
60s/70s. Thanks to her and a handful of other performers, like Maxwell and
Alicia Keyes, there may be some hope for the future of soul/r&b, after all.

Kelly

Nov 13, 2001, 2:12:31 PM11/13/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote

> Btw, I am totally loving the Macy Gray CD; she's a real throwback, coming
> spiritually from the Sly and the Family Stone/Parliament-Funkadelic late
> 60s/70s. Thanks to her and a handful of other performers, like Maxwell and
> Alicia Keyes, there may be some hope for the future of soul/r&b, after
all.

That cd will always remind me of my two youngest nephews. Last year when I
was staying at my parent's house they were over. Gregory has a fasination
with counting my cd's. Everytime they saw that one they would burst out into
"I Try'. It was too cute for words listening to a six and three year old
singing.

Kelly

MollyFa

Nov 13, 2001, 4:57:55 PM11/13/01
The ones I have the most of in my CD collection are:

The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Kate Bush
XTC
Talk Talk
Olivia Newton-John
Queen

I have a lot of Various Artist albums including:
Sounds of the 70s: right now, I have 1977, 1978, and 1979
NOW: 1981, 1984 and Christmas

Molly

Tiny Dancer

Nov 13, 2001, 5:03:50 PM11/13/01
And so the word went out from <antipos...@127.0.0.1>:

>Rhonda, my heart breaks for you to have lost your vinyl. I've sold a few

>records, tapes and CDs over the years, as well as loaned some things out
>and not gotten them back, but for the most part, I've held onto my vinyl.

Thanks, it was a horrifying experience! What's worse, they left behind
*all* of my Elton John albums :-P I mean, they even stole my Rod McKuen
collection (about 10 albums, all *very* hard to replace especially his live
one) but they left Elton alone?! The nerve of some people! I've bought
and sold so many of my possessions over the years but the worst was
when I was talked into selling a vast chunk of my vinyls (after the robbery).
I've forgiven my son's father for many things but that one will always hurt.
Biggest personal loss: Elton's "Rock Of The Westies" with a little heart
drawn on his hand in pen with "EJ loves RH" scrawled on it. I know *now*
that it devalued the album but I was like 11 years old or something and
didn't care for such material thoughts.

>I really wasn't sure if 556 is a lot. :-). It doesn't seem like that many,
>but I guess I am the collector type.

I probably have that many videos (with old Letterman shows, Brit comedies,
Elton specials etc.), is that weird? :-)

>I just went and got a box of 45s, which was sitting on top of a closet shelf,
>and opened it. Here is some of the contents (some with the little yellow
>plastic holders in them). They span from around 1964 to around 1981, with
>the older ones being originally owned by my older sister:

Some of these sure bring back memories!

>Adam and the Ants - Stand and Deliver

The one in the picture sleeve? I had that one eons ago.

>Andy Gibb - Love Is Thicker Than Water (WTF am I doing with this???)

Good question, LOL! You just don't strike me as an Andy Gibb guy.

>Beach Boys - Help Me Rhonda (your song, TD!)/Do You Wanna Dance

Awww, just for me? :-) I am pleased to say I have NO copies of this tune!

>I imagine these are probably worth quite a bit, particularly the Beatles
>and Beach Boys ones, although they're not exactly in mint condition.

If they're originals then I don't think it really matters, still worth some dough,
I'm sure.

>Tom
>(who desparately needs a functioning turntable)

And a Spell Check ;-) Sorry, couldn't resist!

Cheers,

TD

Love is higher than a mountain
Love is thicker than water
You are this dreamer's only dream
Heaven's angel, devil's daughter
from Andy Gibb's "(Love Is) Thicker Than Water"

Stevie Nice

Nov 13, 2001, 6:34:27 PM11/13/01

You'd be surprised Tom. They may not be worth anything. Beatles and Beach
Boys singles sold plenty so anyone who is a 45 collector probably has them,
and casual collectors probably just end up getting them on CDs anyway.

np Fallin' by Alicia Keys

>Tom
>(who desparately needs a functioning turntable)
>

> -------------------
>Men of good fortune, very often can't do a thing
>While men of poor beginnings, often can do anything.
>At heart they try to act like a man.
>Handle things the best way they can
>They have no rich daddy to fall back on.
>
>--Lou Reed (Berlin, 1973)

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! ==-----

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 13, 2001, 7:26:02 PM11/13/01

ti...@idirect.com (Tiny Dancer) wrote:
>And so the word went out from <antipos...@127.0.0.1>:
>>>Tom
>>(who desparately needs a functioning turntable)
>
>And a Spell Check ;-) Sorry, couldn't resist!

Oh, I agree. I've lost whatever machine free ability I may have once had
to both spell, as well as to calculate, with consistent accuracy. Of course,
the Englih language is so quirky that the rules of correct spelling make
things much harder for us than would be the case for many other languages.

Tom
(who'se hoping that the above reply has no misspellings)

-------------------
none of our pockets are filled with gold
nobody's caught the bouquet
there are no dead presidents we can fold
nothing is going our way

--Tom Waits (More Than Rain, 1987)

Kelly

Nov 13, 2001, 7:36:00 PM11/13/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote

> Oh, I agree. I've lost whatever machine free ability I may have once had
> to both spell, as well as to calculate, with consistent accuracy. Of
course,
> the Englih language is so quirky that the rules of correct spelling make
> things much harder for us than would be the case for many other languages.
>

> Tom
> (who'se hoping that the above reply has no misspellings)

You speak Englih? Lucky you. I only speak English.
(I couldn't resist)

Kelly
(who would be lost without her spellcheck)

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 13, 2001, 8:07:59 PM11/13/01

Oh Gawd, LOL, I am hopeless. I think I need to make use of my MS Word here.

Kelly

Nov 13, 2001, 8:17:31 PM11/13/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote

> Oh Gawd, LOL, I am hopeless. I think I need to make use of my MS Word
here.

It is okay Tom. It is part of your charm.

Kelly

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 13, 2001, 8:22:13 PM11/13/01

"Stevie Nice" <stevi...@webtv.net> wrote:
>You'd be surprised Tom. They may not be worth anything. Beatles and Beach
>Boys singles sold plenty so anyone who is a 45 collector probably has them,
>and casual collectors probably just end up getting them on CDs anyway.

Good points, Stevie. Not that I was planning to get rid of these, anyway.
On the other hand, some of my LPs, a number of which are now out of print
and are in pretty good condition, are probably worth a fair amount. I'd be
curious to know their resale value, not that I would part with them.

Tom

Yeff

Nov 13, 2001, 9:14:54 PM11/13/01

If you're a Windows user and only worried about
catologing your CDs than I recommend DiscPlay:
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/DiscPlay/
You'll want to get the following reg file to
update the servers:
http://www.freedb.org/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=24

The company that made it went out of business
so if you download it send me an email at the
below listed address and I'll email you the
file that registers it. It'll have my name
in the About DiscPlay section once you do but
that's not so terrible. <g>

Put a disc and and DiscPlayer connects to the
CDDB and downloads the information. The program
will keep track of all your CDs and will keep
stats like the most played album, most played track,
and most recently played albums.

Your collection list can be printed and the program
will even allow you to export the collection in HTML
format so you can publish it on the web! You can
also export the collection to an ASCII file for use
by other programs.

I really like this program and haven't found any
other that matches its capabilities. Give it a
try and tell me what you think.

BTW, I couldn't get the USA download to work but
Germany works fine.

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

Stevie Nice

Nov 13, 2001, 9:34:30 PM11/13/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote

<snip>

I think the coolest part of my CD collection are the 300+ Promo Only discs
I have compiled from about the last 9 years. 1 a month, different styles,
lots of hitz at my fingertips!!