Concerts Survey

Kelly

Jan 9, 2001, 4:23:53 PM1/9/01

"> First concert you went to - Andy Gibb July 1978
> Last concert you went to - U2 Popmart tour
> Next concert you plan to go to - The next U2 tour
> Loudest concert you went to - Ac/Dc
> Worst concert you went to - The Cars in 1979
> Best concert you went to - I can't pick the best one. But the most fun I
have had was at an INXS concert I went to in Allentown PA. The show was
good, but friends that made it on of my most memorible.
> Band or artist you have seen most in concert - U2 at least one time every
tour since the War album.

> Trish in Atlanta
> Visit my Retro Fun website:
> http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/atl/r/e/retrotr/retrofun.htm
> * Retro Pop Culture * Children's Literature * Dachshunds * More

RetroTrish

Jan 9, 2001, 4:34:44 PM1/9/01

Kelly wrote:

>> Worst concert you went to - The Cars in 1979

Hi Kelly! I never saw The Cars and always wanted to - was wondering what
their concert was like? Sounds like it was a disappointment!

Tank

Jan 9, 2001, 5:47:10 PM1/9/01
First concert you went to -
Elton John, Pontiac Stadium, Michigan 1976

Last concert you went to -
Pink Floyd, Cleveland Stadium, Ohio 1988

Next concert you plan to go to - N/A

Loudest concert you went to -
Rush, Grace Under Pressure Tour, Cleveland Coliseum

Worst concert you went to -

REO Speedwagon & Cheap Trick, Blossom, Cleveland

Best concert you went to -
Yes, 90125 Tour, Blossom, Cleveland & Savage Hall, Toledo

Band or artist you have seen most in concert - Yes

SPECIAL AWARD - Stevie Ray Vaughn & Double Trouble and
The Fabulous Thunderbirds (Stevie's brother Jimmy) at Blossom
Music Center, Cleveland. 2nd row seats. Incredible show.

HONORABLE MENTION - Ray Charles at Hoover Auditorium
in LakeSide, Ohio. A 3000 seat venue in July. All the doors were
open to let the air flow through, and you could see people sitting on
the porches of their 100+ year old houses in rocking chairs, listening
to the sweet sounds of Ray & the Raylettes. 3rd row. Pure magic.

--
Tank
"Remember to pillage before you burn"

redace

Jan 9, 2001, 6:23:49 PM1/9/01

RetroTrish wrote in message ...
>x-no-archive: yes
>
>We're doing this on the retro list and it's fun, so thought I would ask
here

My husband wanted to answer this, too. His answers are after mine.

>First concert you went to -

Lori: Duran Duran
(Well, the first one that I wanted to see...I saw Charlie Daniels and
Tammy Wynette at an amusement park when I was younger.)
Andy: KISS (1977)

>Last concert you went to -

Lori: KISS July 7th, 2000 (Scranton, PA)
This was a GREAT show...
Andy: See above...

>Next concert you plan to go to -

Lori: KISS--the date is not set yet, but it's going to be at Madison
Square Garden sometime in the Spring.
Andy: See above...

>Loudest concert you went to -

Lori: A tie between Operation Rock and Roll (Had Dangerous Toys, Alice
Cooper and Judas Priest...1991) and Metallica (1991)
Andy: Motorhead (1988)

>Worst concert you went to -

Lori: Billy Idol --it wasn't bad...just boring (Billy was walking with
a cane
from his motorcycle wreck)(1990)
Andy: Motley Crue (1985--although saw them again in 1989 and they were
great)

>Best concert you went to -

Lori: Wow...hard to say...I'd have to go with The Who at Giants Stadium
(1989) and KISS in Tampa (1992)
Andy: Tie between KISS in Tampa (1992) and Jethro Tull in Neurenburg,
Germany (1988)

>Band or artist you have seen most in concert -

Lori: Tie between KISS and Duran Duran (although that will change in
the Spring when I see KISS again.)
Andy: KISS (12 times soon to be 13, we hope)

Lori =^.^=

Kelly

Jan 9, 2001, 8:14:06 PM1/9/01
I was 13 years old when I saw them. I wasn't the most sophisticated concert
goer at the time, before going to see them I had seen Andy Gibb once, and
Billy Joel twice. I remember the show being boring. It would have been more
exciting to go home and play my Cars 8-tracks (yes, I still have them).

Andy Gibb was my heartthrob, and my first concert. It was a pure joy! Even
if he would have stood there and threw rocks at the crowd I would have been
happy.

There is nothing like Billy Joel playing for his hometown audience back in
the late 70's . I was able to attend two of his "Charity Begins at Home"
concerts back then, his 52nd Street and Glass Houses tours.

Kelly

"RetroTrish" <retr...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

WiNK

Jan 9, 2001, 9:12:23 PM1/9/01

> First concert you went to - Chicago
> Last concert you went to - Ashamed to say...... :-) Tim McGraw and
Faith Hill....my sister-in-law made me. :-)
> Next concert you plan to go to - Don't go much anymore...so can't say.
> Loudest concert you went to - Scorpions
> Worst concert you went to - Michael Jackson and the Jacksons
> Best concert you went to - A few....Aerosmith...... Stone Temple
Pilots....and Jellyfish!!!!!
> Band or artist you have seen most in concert - Aerosmith....four times

Nadine

Endymion9

Jan 9, 2001, 9:37:38 PM1/9/01
> > First concert you went to - Leon Russell with Mary MacGregor (his
future wife) as opening act. 1975 Atlanta.
> > Last concert you went to - Sarah McLachlan with October Project
opening. 1994 Knoxville
> > Next concert you plan to go to - I did see a couple of free concerts at
the local summer fairs. The Freddy Jones Band played at one. Robin Trower
at another. So whoever shows up next year <grin>.
> > Loudest concert you went to - Aerosmith 1977 Atlanta
> > Worst concert you went to - Rush 1983. Not because they played bad.
Because I was 24 surrounded by teenagers and realized I wasn't in the "cool"
crowd anymore <grin>. Worst music Freddy and the Knockouts 1981.
> > Best concert you went to - Leon Russell, Dave Mason with Bob Welch
(1978), April Wine with Spyder (1981), Heart (1978), Fleetwood Mac (1978),
Crosby, Stills & Nash (1991), Stephen Stills with Kevin Montgomery (1993),
Moody Blues (1980), Aerosmith (1977 Toys In The Attic tour), Sarah McLachlan
with October Project (1994).

--
Dennis/Endy
~dancing us from the darkest nights is the rhythm of love powered by the

Richard Edwards

Jan 9, 2001, 10:25:10 PM1/9/01

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> We're doing this on the retro list and it's fun, so thought I would ask
here

> First concert you went to -

Cheech and Chong at the Colorado Springs city auditorium for my 12th
birthday in 1974, it was also my first out-of-town concert. I live in
Pueblo.

> Last concert you went to -

Styx at the 2000 Colorado State Fair

> Next concert you plan to go to -

???

> Loudest concert you went to -

Van Halen at USC Massari Gym in March 1980. Whenever VH-1 refers to "The
Brown M&Ms Incident", it happened after this show in Pueblo. VH put Pueblo
on the rock'n'roll map.

> Worst concert you went to -

I don't have a worst concert, they were all great

> Best concert you went to -

Metallica at the late McNichols Sports Arena in Denver Feb 1992, also
Metallica with Guns'n'Roses and Body Count at Mile High Stadium in Sept
1992, I also have to include Judas Priest in 1984 at the state fairgrounds
(not during the fair)

> Band or artist you have seen most in concert -

Night Ranger 3 times all at Colorado State Fair (during the fair itself)

recsec

Jan 9, 2001, 10:33:45 PM1/9/01

"RetroTrish" <retr...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> We're doing this on the retro list and it's fun, so thought I would ask
here

> First concert you went to - Elvis in the Astrodome

> Last concert you went to - ZZ Top

> Next concert you plan to go to - Would LIKE to see Hagar later this month.
Doubt I will tho.

> Loudest concert you went to - Robert Plant in 1990

> Worst concert you went to - Merle Haggard in the Dome in 78 or 9, He was
so drunk they had to help him up the stairs to the stage. Then he only
played about 20 minutes with the only hit song he sung being Silver Wings.

> Best concert you went to - ZZ Top on 12-26-81. They played about 3 hrs.
They were the only group there. I had 4 wisdom teeth hittin'
me at the same time. I took 4 beans & STILL couldn't get off on them. But
they freakin' JAMMED!!!

> Band or artist you have seen most in concert - ZZ Top. Since Oct. 28th
1981 (they opened for The Stones at the Dome) I have only missed one
tour of theirs & that's the 1983 Eliminator one.
Billy

Doug

Jan 9, 2001, 10:42:09 PM1/9/01
>First concert you went to - KISS @ the Toledo Sports Arena on 12/16/79

>Last concert you went to - REO Speedwagon @ a club in Fort Wayne.

>Next concert you plan to go to - Definetley will try to catch KISS again.

>Loudest concert you went to - Van Halen 1980 Invasion Tour.

>Worst concert you went to - Sawyer Brown (my Wife **JUST HAD** to see these
Yeti's)

Tour @ Tiger Stadium,magical!

>Band or artist you have seen most in concert - Well lets
see!!,lol,KISS.I've lost count on how many times I've seen them but I'm
guessing around 20 times.

-Doug

I can't complain but sometimes I still do.

Chris Siciliano

Jan 9, 2001, 11:19:59 PM1/9/01
First concert-Rolling Stones 1964 Asbury Park, NJ Convention Hall

Best Concert-Eagles Desperado tour Santa Monica Civic 1973

Loudest Concert West, Bruce and Lang, The Palladium in Hollywood 1973 or
1974

Last Concert-Bruce Springsteen, Staples Center, LA 1999

Next Concert- Eric Clapton-Los Angeles in July 2001

"recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote in message

Number 1 Tiger Fan

Jan 9, 2001, 11:38:59 PM1/9/01
On Tue, 9 Jan 2001 14:55:46 -0500, "RetroTrish"
<retr...@bellsouth.net> a monkey-kneed weasel wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>We're doing this on the retro list and it's fun, so thought I would ask here
>
>First concert you went to -

James Cotton BLues Band/ Boz Skaggs/ Steve Miller Band - Spring 1973

>Last concert you went to -

John Pattitucci - Summer 2000, Vancouver Jazz Festival

>Next concert you plan to go to -

? No time for next six months - must finish PhD!

>Loudest concert you went to -

Jane's Addiction - 1989

>Worst concert you went to -

Steve Miller part of previous - He was amazingly hammered and could
barely perform. He issued an apology later for this show.

>Best concert you went to -

Confunkshun/ Village People - 1978ish

>Band or artist you have seen most in concert -

Tower of Power - at least 12 times.

DL

Jefferies Sucks!

"belive me I am nothing to bragg about so dont waste all your time.®"
"it seems like every boddy trys to be politicly incorect these days®"
- grapetastebasted

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

redace

Jan 9, 2001, 11:41:41 PM1/9/01

Doug wrote in message <_PQ66.3782$T02.3...@cletus.bright.net>...

>>Next concert you plan to go to - Definetley will try to catch KISS
again.

Well, unless you live in Australia or Japan (that's their next set of
tour dates), then you better be close to NYC (or be able to get there).
That is *supposed* to be that last American date on the Farewell Tour.
Ace was on the Eddie Trunk show on New Years Eve and said April-ish for
the MSG. If you didn't know (but being a KISS fan like myself, I'm sure
you know these sites!), you can keep track of when new dates will be
posted on www.kissonline.com or www.kissasylum.com . I'm trying to
clear some credit card space (X-mas wiped us out!) for when the tickets
go on sale! Can't wait! :-)

Lori =^.^=

Zep77

Jan 10, 2001, 12:00:36 AM1/10/01
First concert you went to - Black Sabbath
Last concert you went to - Joe Walsh
Next concert you plan to go to - Joe Walsh
Loudest concert you went to - Blue Oyster Cult
Worst concert you went to - George Thorogood
Best concert you went to - Paul McCartney (late 80's)
Band or artist you have seen most in concert - Blue Oyster Cult
Mike

Dixon Hayes

Jan 10, 2001, 12:04:59 AM1/10/01
<< First concert you went to - Kansas 1978, in Huntsville, also my
introduction to pot (I didn't inhale...well I did but not the joint itself LOL,
just enough to send me to the concession stand about ten times)
Last concert you went to - Bruce Springsteen, 1996, his acoustic tour; went to
a Beach Boys concert last year but I was working, I didn't go for my own
enjoyment
Next concert you plan to go to - have no idea but would love to see Elton and
Billy if they play near here
Loudest concert you went to - Styx
Worst concert you went to - Styx
Best concert you went to - Bruce Springsteen playing acoustic; Billy Joel
wasn't bad either back in '84
Band or artist you have seen most in concert - Tina Turner (who I still
*adore*)

Dixon
=============
"Let's dance, Maude...you're starting to get to me!"
--Barney Fife

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

The Wanderer

Jan 10, 2001, 1:09:41 AM1/10/01
"RetroTrish" <retr...@bellsouth.net> wrote in

> First concert you went to - I believe that was The Searchers at Palisades
Park N.J. in the Moonbowl and it was MCed by Cousin Brucie (Bruce Morrow) in
'64.

> Last concert you went to - Front and center seats at Rockapella last
Saturday night.

> Next concert you plan to go to - Dont know yet, gotta see who's playing
around.

> Loudest concert you went to - Grand Funk Railroad at Madison Square Garden
in '70.

> Worst concert you went to - Well the worst concert that I ever went to I
actually worked for the group as a "roadie"/ laborer. The name of the group
was the Shaghai Sideshow. The featured singer was a magician who did a lot
of visual illusion as part of his act. He was trying to sort of touch on
Alice Cooper. He had live rats in his show and one part was where he would
sing "Rats are my friends. Weird guy named Geoff, I think, who was from
Australia.

> Best concert you went to - Oh so many! Bangla Desh (Harrison, Starr,
Clapton, Russell, Dylan, Badfinger, Preston), The Who at the Fillmore (the
night of the fire when they arrested the Who), A couple of the Rock 'n' Roll
Revivals (Garden Party), The Festival Of Hope (where I worked security and
met ALL the biggies of Rock at the time), the One To One (concert where I
got to see Lennon) the Dylan Concert with The Band at the Garden, The #
night run of the Dead at the Felt Forum, Zappa at the Felt Forum, Sha Na Na
in Central Park, Deep Purple at a small theater on Staten Island, the time I
saw Hendrix at the Winter Festival For Peace, The outdoor May Day Festival
in Potomac Park (Beach Boys, Mitch Ryder, a bunch of other people), Oh just
SOOO many to choose from....BUT My absolute favorite was seeing B.B. King,
Bobby "Blue" Bland, and Ruth Brown at the Apollo (in the 6th row with the
great love of my life at the time-who was also a MAJOR blues fan like me) on
April 4, '97 at Midnight. He came out, pulled up a chair, say down and
played ALL of his stuff (just about) for about 2 1/2 hours. He was
UNBELIEVABLE! (again)

> Band or artist you have seen most in concert - Deep Purple, Chuck Berry,
Bo Diddley, Sha Na Na, B.B.King, Zappa & The Mothers (Flo & Eddie),
Rockapella.
--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

Kelly

Jan 10, 2001, 12:33:25 AM1/10/01

"Dixon Hayes" <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message

> Next concert you plan to go to - have no idea but would love to see Elton
and
> Billy if they play near here
'I saw them play together in Philly a few years back. It was a great show!
I hope they come by you, you will enjoy it!

Kelly

Pamela Beasley

Jan 10, 2001, 5:14:38 AM1/10/01
RetroTrish wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> We're doing this on the retro list and it's fun, so thought I would ask here
>
> First concert you went to -A review type with several artists--in 1965-artists included Ray Stevens, Jay and the Americans, and Johnny Tillotson--and how many of you remember these guys?

> Last concert you went to -John Denver Tribute concert in Aspen, Co. last Oct. featuring musicians who worked with John over the years

> Next concert you plan to go to - Don't yet

> Loudest concert you went to -Bruce Springteen

> Worst concert you went to - the worst because it never happened--Jerry Lee Lewis--he was so drunk they had to have two guys to get him off stage after he insulted a lady in the audience--two more guys were needed to restrain the lady's escort.....

> Best concert you went to - All 25 John Denver concerts I was priviledged to attend.

> Band or artist you have seen most in concert - See above answer!!!!

Pam

antipos...@my-deja.com

Jan 10, 2001, 7:08:50 AM1/10/01

> First concert you went to -

I think it was Hermans Hermits when I was 4, but that probably doesn't
count.

First teenage concert: the Outlaws

> Last concert you went to -

Tower of Power - 2000

> Next concert you plan to go to

Don't know. I'd love to hear Radiohead in concert

> Loudest concert you went to -

probably either Sonic Youth or the Butthole Surfers

> Worst concert you went to -

Guns and Roses at Giant Stadium. Also, the second time I saw Kiss at
Madison Square Garden, they were pretty lackluster.

> Best concert you went to -

Tough one. I've seen some really good shows over the years, including:
The Clash, U2, Matthew Sweet, Tom Verlaine, Dizzy Gillespie, Ramones,
The Who, Tom Petty, Iggy Pop, The Feelies, Gang of Four, King Crimson,
Talking Heads, Queen, Aerosmith, The Tubes, Pere Ubu, Metallica, the Gun
Club, the Bongos, Butthole Surfers, Sonic Youth etc.

> Band or artist you have seen most in concert

I've seen the Ramones, Clash, Tom Verlaine, Matthew Sweet, more than
once.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

RetroTrish

Jan 10, 2001, 10:13:57 AM1/10/01
Buddy wrote:

>> Best concert you went to - Oh so many! Bangla Desh (Harrison, Starr,
>Clapton, Russell, Dylan, Badfinger, Preston), The Who at the Fillmore (the

WOW -- this is one of my dream concerts. I bet it was amazing!!

antipos...@my-deja.com

Jan 10, 2001, 10:35:03 AM1/10/01
In article <20010110000459...@ng-cd1.aol.com>,

dixon...@aol.comspamless (Dixon Hayes) wrote:
> Best concert you went to - Bruce Springsteen playing acoustic

Oh I'm sure that was great. Did he do some Nebraska songs, Dixon?

I had forgotten to mention, but I also saw Springsteen during the
1980 "River" tour and he played a 4 hour marathon of a show with about
4 encores. He and the E Street Band were pretty amazing live, and made
me proud to be a Jersey boy.

Jeff Troutman

Jan 10, 2001, 11:07:49 AM1/10/01
"RetroTrish" <retr...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> We're doing this on the retro list and it's fun, so thought I would ask
here

> First concert you went to -
The Kinks with John Cougar

> Last concert you went to -
The Buzzcocks with Burning Airlines, just last month

> Next concert you plan to go to -
Unsure. Maybe Cheap Trick or Buddy Guy.

> Loudest concert you went to -
My cousin's band at a Cincinnati club in the late '80s.

> Worst concert you went to -
Some Celtic band that some friends dragged me to. Played the tunes like
they were museum pieces instead of living, breathing music. Dull as hell.

John Cougar was also pretty bloody terrible.

> Best concert you went to -

(tie)
King Crimson in Columbus in 1996.
Wire's reunion show in D.C. last year.

> Band or artist you have seen most in concert -
singer/guitarist Adrian Belew. Three times with King Crimson, three times
with his group The Bears, twice as a solo, and once with Crimson spin-off
ProjeKCt Two.

Jeff Troutman

azure

Jan 10, 2001, 11:26:20 AM1/10/01

RetroTrish <retr...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>

> We're doing this on the retro list and it's fun, so thought I would ask
here

> First concert you went to -rick derringer
> Last concert you went to -crosby stills & nash
> Next concert you plan to go to - fuel
> Loudest concert you went to - motley crue
> Worst concert you went to - deep purple
> Best concert you went to - rolling stones
> Band or artist you have seen most in concert - aerosmith

azure

mar...@my-deja.com

Jan 10, 2001, 11:32:39 AM1/10/01
First concert you went to - Billy Joel, 1979, Boston Garden

Last concert you went to - The Who, Tweeter Center, 2000

Next concert you plan to go to - Like to see Billy and Elton if they
tour

Loudest concert you went to - "huh, could you say that again?" probably
Pink Floyd, Sullivan Stadium, 1994

Worst concert you went to - Allman Bros, Cape Cod Colliseum, 1980
(general admission, friends insisted on trying to rush the stage and I
got seriously squished. This was also Greg's very drunken period)

Best concert you went to - Bad Company, Tweeter Center, 1999. I love
these guys! They seriously rock and haven't lost a beat in 20 years.

Band or artist you have seen most in concert - Tie b/t Billy Joel
(twice) and Phil Collins/Genesis (phil once, genesis twice)

Dixon Hayes

Jan 10, 2001, 11:58:17 AM1/10/01
Tom wrote:

>Oh I'm sure that was great. Did he do some Nebraska songs, Dixon?

Yes, he did several. I specifically remember "Atlantic City," "Johnny 99" and
"Reason to Believe." He also did some unusual acoustic versions of some of his
band songs like "Born in the U.S.A."

Jeff Troutman

Jan 10, 2001, 12:59:27 PM1/10/01
"Dixon Hayes" <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote:
> Tom wrote:
>
> >Oh I'm sure that was great. Did he do some Nebraska songs, Dixon?
> >

> Yes, he did several. I specifically remember "Atlantic City," "Johnny 99"
and
> "Reason to Believe." He also did some unusual acoustic versions of some
of his
> band songs like "Born in the U.S.A."

Cool.

Trivia: "Born In The U.S.A." is said to have been written and demoed around
the time of _Nebraska_, and was meant to be included on that LP.

Jeff Troutman

Doug

Jan 10, 2001, 1:08:33 PM1/10/01

redace wrote in message
<9KR66.8010$fj6.6...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

Thanks Lori,very familiar with the above sites and R.M.A.K. Used to post
quite a bit in R.M.A.K. but it seems that ng has become a place for video
traders to flame each other or trolls to spout off.

Traveling to NYC is "plan B" because I can about gare-own-tee that the boys
will hit Detroit one last time for old times sake..............at least I
hope so,Detroit is within driving distance for me.

redace

Jan 10, 2001, 1:38:59 PM1/10/01

Doug wrote in message ...

>Thanks Lori,very familiar with the above sites and R.M.A.K. Used to
post
>quite a bit in R.M.A.K. but it seems that ng has become a place for
video
>traders to flame each other or trolls to spout off.
>
>Traveling to NYC is "plan B" because I can about gare-own-tee that the
boys
>will hit Detroit one last time for old times sake..............at least
>hope so,Detroit is within driving distance for me.

I've been lurking for the most part in R.M.A.K lately, too. There *has*
been a huge troll surge there. As far as Detroit
goes...umm....weellll.... there hasn't been much talk about that
happening. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, though. :-)

Lori =^.^=

Steve_2000

Jan 10, 2001, 1:25:59 PM1/10/01
In article <93gd1o$kv6u$1...@newssvr06-en0.news.prodigy.com>,

"Kelly" <kwit...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> I was 13 years old when I saw them. I wasn't the most sophisticated
concert
> goer at the time, before going to see them I had seen Andy Gibb once,
and
> Billy Joel twice. I remember the show being boring. It would have
been more
> exciting to go home and play my Cars 8-tracks (yes, I still have
them).

> Andy Gibb was my heartthrob, and my first concert. It was a pure joy!
Even
> if he would have stood there and threw rocks at the crowd I would
have been
> happy.
>
> There is nothing like Billy Joel playing for his hometown audience
back in
> the late 70's . I was able to attend two of his "Charity Begins at
Home"
> concerts back then, his 52nd Street and Glass Houses tours.
>
> Kelly

Billy Joel completely surprised me when I saw him in concert circa 'The
Stranger' --or '52nd St,' or one of those big early albums) tour.

You knew Billy had the tunes and great piano playing, but Live
everything got taken up several notches. Liberty DeVito's powerful
drumming drove that band like a locomotive. Everyone else in the band
was exceptional including a sax guy who played fairly big part in the
live show.

And Billy was making his name a Great Live Entertainer...for any who
didn't already know this back then (including me) -this was a fantastic
surprise. He had on the sport coat and jeans, skinny tie and tennis
shoes. He was all over the stage and was about as good in concert as
anyone at his peak.

I'd recently been to a Bruce Springsteen ("The River" tour, IIRC)
concert and Bruce was so good it was almost a religious experience.
When Springsteen was really going for it -1975-85, well a couple of
those shows are in my top 5 Best Concert experiences. Never a big fan
of his albums, tho a couple of individual songs like 'Born To
Run,' 'Racing In the Streets" are alltime faves-Bruce Springsteen's
70s/80s live shows raised the bar for just how great a rock concert can
be (imo).

Thus I was pleasantly surprised when Billy Joel was 'almost' as good (a
big Billy Joel fan might say 'better'-certainly a great instrumentalist
and a great 'hit' songwriter) during his peak years. Billy (like Bruce)
is older now, and Still Good.

As a bonus, Billy Joel had a bunch of familiar radio hits by that time-
and would continue scoring chart hit singles for 15 years.

Bruce really only had one album that radio really pulled a lot of
singles from -'Born In The USA'- which would come out (and get
overplayed) a few years later. But I had discovered that with Bruce, it
didn't matter if you knew the songs well when you went to see him. He
is one of the great live rockers of alltime.

When I saw Bruce in 1977 in a local college's basketball gym, I had
only barely heard the single 'Born to Run'-the case with most of the
5000 interested folks who crammed in to see What All The Fuss Was About
with this New Jersey bar band dude who reportedly did 3+ hour concerts
(he did, does) and had recently made the covers of both Time and
Newsweek...with a major editor of Rolling Stone calling him 'the future
of Rock and Roll' and then quitting his big time editing job to manage
and co-produce Bruce. Good move.

I saw the Cars in about 1984 headlining a then-annual outdoor festival
in the mountains near here. Huey Lewis was breaking out nationally and
was second on the big bill. Huey totally kicked tail in those days. A
bunch of hits and a great (again) high energy live show.

I'd seen Huey when his very first album came out (Huey and the News are
all from nearby Marin County and played around a lot locally as they
built their career). He was great 5 years earlier, Excellent frontman,
really working the crowd. When Huey and the News played before the
Cars...well it would have been a challenge for anyone to follow them.
They were almost as popular as they would ever get (which was darn big
for a few years in the 80s), they did what they did -straight ahead
radio friendly rock- Very Well. They were hot. Bruce and Billy coulda
done it well-all 3 artists were similar -believe it or not, as their
music is all different- in their approach to doing a great rock concert.

The Cars had a bunch of big songs by then, their last big album-
Heartbeat City was generating some hit singles and they were still
riding their peak. I've heard other concert stories of people enjoying
them in concert...and I Did enjoy them headlining that day-as I liked a
lot of their music.

But as entertainers, the Cars just stood there and played and sang.

Maybe if they hadn't followed Huey it would have been a little
different. I had seen Jackson Browne headline the same festival years
earlier, and he basically just 'plays and sings,' sorta like the Eagles
do, and everyone sorta knows that-and the generally non-rock and roll
songs are great, the band is great, David Lindley used to light up the
music with blazing lap steel/slide solos...and Jackson is great, in his
own singer-songwriter way.

Jackson Browne does get intimate with his audiences, talking to you a
lot. The Cars were very distant, I don't think they said more
than 'thank you' a couple of times.

Also, the Cars had had some huge rock hits and album tracks. Their
stuff was all over the radio back then -still gets a lot of airplay as
they made great records that stand the test of time.

But the Cars didn't seem to tour too much. So people didn't know what
to expect-actually we were probably expecting a high-energy live show
equal to the sound (and success) of their recordings.

Well, they Sounded fine. But they didn't move or 'rock' much. The were
the Roy Orbisons of the 80s:) Great popular songs- well played and
sung, sunglasses and almost no movement.

I remember Rick Ocasek (and most of the band) smiling, but that was
about it. I did enjoy seeing them play their hits, and as a guitarist I
am always interested in watching good to great guitarists -which Elliot
Easton is. But it was just well played hit music, no real 'show.'

Most people stayed for their whole set, as they were very big at the
time and they did have a Lot of big tunes. But I have to say that the
young and hungry Huey Lewis blew them off the stage.

The next year (turned out to be their final tour) my girlfriend gave me
tix for us to go see the Cars at a big local arena on my birthday. We
drove up there (to San Francisco). It was sold out. And in those
(seems like fairly pre-scalper) times, some fans were outside clamoring
for tickets. It wasn't a 'must see' show for me, just something to do
on my birthday.

So when a couple of kids yelled that they'd pay $60 for 2 good seats
(the tix probably cost $18-20 each) -we just sold them and went into SF
and had dinner. I never would have done that with Bruce, Billy or Huey
tix in 1985.

Steve
--
> -- http://homestead.deja.com/user.steve_2000/steve_2000.html

John Greenan

Jan 10, 2001, 1:51:31 PM1/10/01

"RetroTrish" <retr...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> We're doing this on the retro list and it's fun, so thought I would ask
here

> First concert you went to -kiss '77
> Last concert you went to -kiss farewell
> Next concert you plan to go to -van halen reunion (it will happen)
> Loudest concert you went to -nugent
> Worst concert you went to -enjoyed every one
> Best concert you went to -kiss farewell
> Band or artist you have seen most in concert -kiss (7)

Dixon Hayes

Jan 10, 2001, 1:57:32 PM1/10/01
Thank you for the descriptions, Steve. Springsteen and Joel are two of my very
favorites, and I have seen them both in concert and loved every minute of both.
But I regret that I've never seen Springsteen with the E Street Band, only on
his acoustic tour to promote "The Ghost of Tom Joad."

One of the most thrilling moments ever for me at any concert was the very
beginning of a 1984 Billy Joel concert. The split second the stage lights
went, there he was, banging out the piano overture to "Angry Young Man." It
took my breath away.

Beatlfilms

Jan 10, 2001, 2:16:22 PM1/10/01
RetroTrish said:

>First concert you went to -

KISS (years ago... don't remember exact date)

>Last concert you went to -

KISS (last summer on their Farewell Tour)

>Next concert you plan to go to -

No immediate plans, unless Paul McCartney decides to launch a tour any time
soon!

>Loudest concert you went to -

A tie between KISS and David Lee Roth

>Worst concert you went to -

Never been to an awful concert, but the least memorable was probably a Motley
Crue show back in the 80's. Car broke down on the way home and was stranded for
a few hours in the middle of nowhere.

>Best concert you went to -

KISS (the last one)

>Band or artist you have seen most in concert -

Well, let me see.... I guess it would have to be KISS! :-)

Shawn

redace

Jan 10, 2001, 2:44:36 PM1/10/01

Beatlfilms wrote in message
<20010110141622...@ng-fr1.aol.com>...

Glad to see that there are a few members of the ol' KISS Army in here.
;-)

Lori =^.^=

White Knight

Jan 10, 2001, 5:24:02 PM1/10/01
>First concert you went to -

Tull -- Thick as a Brick tour

>Last concert you went to -

Rush, circa 1993/94 I think

>Next concert you plan to go to -

no plans, but I wanted to see Joan Armatrading this past tour she did

>Loudest concert you went to -

Rush--my ears couldn't take it

>Worst concert you went to -

hmmmm....I'd say Yes concert that I spent passed out in the men's room.
Missed the whole concert, never will understand how my friends found me.

>Best concert you went to -

Three-way tie between ELO's Roll Over Beethoven, ELP's Brain Salad
Surgery, and any Tull concert. So I guess Tull wins :)

>Band or artist you have seen most in concert -

Would have to be Tull, about 7 times. Great performers.

Beatlfilms

Jan 10, 2001, 4:12:45 PM1/10/01
redace said:

>Glad to see that there are a few members of the ol' KISS Army in here.
>;-)

Yes, definitely! I hope you get to attend their final concert in New York. That
would really be something to see. As emotional as Peter is, I bet he will be
bawling like a baby at the end of the show. Hell, even Gene might shed a tear!

Shawn

LizzieZ

Jan 10, 2001, 5:35:15 PM1/10/01
Thanks for the memories...

>>First concert you went to - aside from the Perry Como concert I saw with my
mom in 1979 (opening act: Jay Leno), I'd have to guess it was Little River Band
in the summer of 1983 at the Ravinia Festival. My first arena concert was my
first date with my high school sweetheart, Billy Joel's "Innocent Man" tour at
the Rosemont Horizon, March 1984.

>>Last concert you went to - I think it was Billy Joel about a year or so ago;
one of the last shows before they renamed the Rosemont Horizon into the <gag>
Allstate Arena.

>>Next concert you plan to go to - Hoping to get to Billy Joel/Elton John if
they come through Chicago (believe it or not they DIDN'T come here last time;
I think the closest they got was just outside Milwaukee)

>>Loudest concert you went to - Billy Joel as the first performer in the new
United Center (where the Bulls play). They did a horrible job with the sound
system. The sound was loud as well as muffled. So not only was it the
loudest, but it also answers the next question...

>>Worst concert you went to - See above.

>>Best concert you went to - Double bill of Sting and Don Henley, must have
been about 1990 or 1991, Alpine Valley, Wisconsin. There were two opening acts
(Vinx and Susannah Hoffs), and everyone had their own set, so the evening
lasted about 6+ hours! Pretty amazing.

>>Band or artist you have seen most in concert - You probably all figured it
out by now.... yes, it was my idol, Billy Joel. :-) There just really aren't
too many other people I'm willing to pay to get to see. And Dixon, I agree,
there are few things more exciting than watching him prep for and dive into
"Angry Young Man." I think of him every time I play it myself on the piano -
so inspiring!

Liz

Rick Shaw

Jan 10, 2001, 6:25:32 PM1/10/01
<retr...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>We're doing this on the retro list and it's fun, so thought I would ask here

>First concert you went to -

Well, discounting a county fair show that featured Barbi Benton and
Bobby Vinton, my first real show was The Marshall Tucker Band in 1980.
Firefall was the opener.

>Last concert you went to -

Van Halen in 1998.
I had tickets for Ringo last May, but scheduling prevented me from
making it.

>Next concert you plan to go to -

The reunited Van Halen.

>Loudest concert you went to -

Probably Nazareth in 1981. The first notes hit on the bass nearly blew
me off my feet (it was like Michael J. Fox striking that guitar chord
in "Back To The Future"). The soundman did turn it down a bit shortly
after the first song.

>Worst concert you went to -

If I had to pick, it would be ZZ Top. Not because they were bad, but
because they only played for only a little over an hour (they were the
headliners, too). It was good musically, though.

(If opening acts are eligible as worst, I could go on all day).

>Best concert you went to -

Paul McCartney.

>Band or artist you have seen most in concert -

Van Halen (prefer when Dave was the singer).

redace

Jan 10, 2001, 7:57:12 PM1/10/01

Beatlfilms wrote in message
<20010110161245...@ng-fk1.aol.com>...

LOL! Peter is definitely the emotional one! As far as Gene... he'll
just be upset that the money from the tour will be stopping! Then he'll
remember to call Spencer's and line up some more merchandising!! ;-)

Lori =^.^=

Raphael

Jan 10, 2001, 8:54:52 PM1/10/01
Endymion9 <endy...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Y'know, it's weird. I don't live in a HUGE city (not by any stretch)...it's
the largest city on Canada's east coast, but that's not really saying much.
Anyway, it still amazes me to see 'homegrown' artists mentioned by other
people (even though I know that they are/were incredibly popular...). Odd
mindset, I guess. Anyway, let's hear it for Sara McLachlan & April Wine!

Now, for some of my answers...
First concert you went to - Beatlemania

Last concert you went to - Oy, it's been a while...Alice Cooper, I think

Next concert you plan to go to - No plans

Loudest concert you went to - Either Iron Maiden & Guns n' Roses, or Iron
Maiden and Anthrax

Worst concert you went to - The Anthrax portion of the above concert.
Wandered the arena, avoiding the concert.

Best concert you went to - None in particular...enjoyed all three
Beatlemanias (the last one especially because a friend & I went to one of
the local bars with "Paul" and "Ringo" afterwards)...America was
good..."Happy Together Tour (Turtles, Grassroots, Buckinghams, Gary Lewis &
the Playboys) was fun...Alice Cooper always puts on a great show...Haywire
used to be fun...Glass Tiger was good...loved the Grapes of Wrath...Iron
Maiden was great, even when they'd lost a good chunk of their equipment in a
North Atlantic storm. "See the lights? This is our light show...they're
either on...or they're off." (hee hee)

Band or artist you have seen most in concert - Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper &
Beatlemania

Erin ">

Steve_2000

Jan 10, 2001, 10:14:59 PM1/10/01
In article <20010110135732...@ng-fm1.aol.com>,

dixon...@aol.comspamless (Dixon Hayes) wrote:
> Thank you for the descriptions, Steve. Springsteen and Joel are two
of my very
> favorites, and I have seen them both in concert and loved every
minute of both.
> But I regret that I've never seen Springsteen with the E Street Band,
only on
> his acoustic tour to promote "The Ghost of Tom Joad."

Thanx Dixon..

Bruce can hold you rapt with just a guitar and his songs.

But the Bruce and the E Street Band during that time...Wow. It was like
seeing any of the greats live acts- the Who, Stones, Led
Zeppelin...Billy Joel- in their prime, as far as performance (each of
these artists has their own style of music..I'm just talking about
powerful concerts).

I always said seeing Bruce fronting that band was like seeing Pete
Townshend, Mick Jagger, James Brown, Bono- fill in your own excellent
showman here-...all rolled into one. He stole everyone's best moves
(cept Bono's-Bono probably took lessons from Bruce:) -and added a whole
bunch of his own, and was Killer with a capital 'K.'

I know they filmed some of that late 70s/early 80s Springsteen/E Street
stuff coz there's a clip of them doing 'Rosalita' that's been on the
video channels, and part of it is on one of his video collections.
There's also his 2 song (I think) performance in the 'No Nukes' concert
film.

Bruce is still active and does a great show, but no way can he compete
with his younger self. Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull-another master
showman- has somewhat humorously lamented that he now has to try to
live up to the legendary very physical performances he did 25-30 years
ago.

I hope someday Bruce sees his way clear to release some of that great
performance film footage, circa late 70s. It's stuff that should be
seen. You can pick up a lot of prime Who, Tull, Stones, U-2
etc..there's even a 1990 Billy Joel concert vid which just came out
that's fine. Bruce oughta release some of the archive stuff..

> One of the most thrilling moments ever for me at any concert was the
very
> beginning of a 1984 Billy Joel concert. The split second the stage
lights
> went, there he was, banging out the piano overture to "Angry Young
Man." It
> took my breath away.
>
> Dixon

Yeah, Billy did that to me as well. You know you're in for a great
show when your jaw drops in the first 20 seconds, and it's just
powerful performance, no smoke bombs or gimmicks:)

Steve_2000

Jan 10, 2001, 10:39:20 PM1/10/01

First concert you went to - Led Zeppelin, Winterland SF, First US Tour
1969. Fantastic. They were young, fresh and hungry-still making their
name playing a 5000 seat ballroom. It was a life changer. I decided
that night that I wanted to play in a band professionally-which I
eventually managed to do for about 17 years.

Last concert you went to - Steely Dan, and I have to mention the recent
Dixie Chicks concert-(both great).

Next concert you plan to go to - U-2

Loudest concert you went to - Led Zeppelin, Berkeley, CA 1971.

Worst concert you went to - Pass. There's usually something good at
every show, though I went to the a Scorpions concert in the late 80s
based on a rave review from a friend, and was underwhelmed. Not their
fault, I'd been ill-advised. The crowd had a ball.

Best concert you went to - Too many "Bests" to list, all for different
reasons. I have a sorta Top 10 in no particular order.

Band or artist you have seen most in concert - Geez, I dunno. I only
missed Bruce Springsteen on tour once between 1976-92. Saw most of the
Billy Joel, Rolling Stones tours from the 70s till now. All the U2
tours from 83 on. All the Gloria Estefan/MMSM tours from 87-now. All
Paul McCartney solo tours from 76 on (4?..'76 was the best). All Pink
Floyd... Most of the Zeppelin shows, even after they got so big it
didn't matter if they were high or sloppy...

Probably the artist I've seen most often is a blues/jazz guitarist like
Larry Carlton or Robben Ford -who come through the area at least once a
year and I've probably seen 25+ times...

Oriole Adams

Jan 10, 2001, 10:56:39 PM1/10/01
>First concert you went to -
Bay City Rollers, Michigan State Fair, 1977
(hard to believe it now, but at the time, I cheerfully waited in line 11 hours
to see them)

>Last concert you went to -Kiss 1st Reunion Tour, what was it, 1997?

>Next concert you plan to go to - ??

>Loudest concert you went to -Ramones. Sound was cranked *so* loud, it was
distorted. And uncomfortable, even with earplugs.

>Worst concert you went to - Whitney Houston. Snore.

>Best concert you went to - Queen. 1980. Paid an evil scalper for front row
tickets, but it was worth it!!

>Band or artist you have seen most in concert -Queen 11 times, Kiss probably
more, since they toured more, and I saw them on every tour except a few of
those late 80s ones.

Honorable Mention: Sparks, for a great and amusing show, and Devo for a very
entertaining and unusual show.

Phaedra Alwell

Jan 10, 2001, 10:53:03 PM1/10/01
Has anyone heard of Wishbone Ash and Black Oak Arkansas?
My mom wants to know

Thanks
Phaedra '74 :)

Zep77

Jan 11, 2001, 12:42:28 AM1/11/01
Has anyone heard of Wishbone Ash and Black Oak Arkansas?

i have,and i still listen to both! i love the wishbone ash self titled album
and "argus".
my favorite black oak's are the first one and "high on the hog".David Lee Roth
was a ripoff of Jim Dandy (but still good).
Mike

Chris Siciliano

Jan 11, 2001, 3:04:49 AM1/11/01
Oh Yea, who was that slut that use to sing with Jim Dandy once in awhile?

"Phaedra Alwell" <Phae...@webtv.net> wrote in message

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Jan 11, 2001, 3:07:18 AM1/11/01
Actually ir was a great concert. But Clapton didn't do anything of his own,
he just backed up. There were two shows, I went to the later show (got
arrested and beat up by the cops in getting the tickets). There were NO
drugs to be found anywhere in my neighborhood, not even weed, for the first
time in 20 years. Went there without anything to "heighten" the experience.
Until I bumped into a female friend who used to "have a thing" with my
younger brother and she split a hit of acid with me. So the acid was just
beginning to take effect and everybody was buzzing about "could this be the
possible Beatles reunion that had been talked about for so long"? The lights
went up SUDDENLY and everybody started to scream: the band was already on
stage. It looked for a second like the reunion! Everyone was ecstatic. When
we all took a second look the guy with the black shiny hair was Jesse Ed
Davis NOT Paul McCartney. And the guy with the long brown hair and beard was
Klaus Voorman and NOT John Lennon. Oh Well, it was great anyway. There was a
rumor that Dylan would be there but we were skeptical. Then they introduced
Dylan! Amazing! So many dreams come true in one day.

> Buddy wrote:
>
> >> Best concert you went to - Oh so many! Bangla Desh (Harrison, Starr,
> >Clapton, Russell, Dylan, Badfinger, Preston), The Who at the Fillmore
(the

> WOW -- this is one of my dream concerts. I bet it was amazing!!

The Wanderer

Jan 11, 2001, 3:07:33 AM1/11/01
"White Knight" <temp...@never.com> wrote in

passed out in the men's room.
>Missed the whole concert, never will understand how my friends found me.

Maybe they left you there in the first place. I've been with people who have
been so obnoxious or obnoxiously stoned that that thought has crossed my
mind. Never done it....yet

The Wanderer

Jan 11, 2001, 3:07:23 AM1/11/01
Oh, I forgot to tell you about the Who. Had tickets (the expensive seats
$5.50) with my girl in about the 18th row. They were introducing Tommy via
their American tour. They were excellent. Great show. The audience was a
bunch of us "hippies" (it was May '69). While they were doing there thing up
on stage we (the whole audience) noticed a minor smokey condition. We
thought it was their smoke machines or something. Then we noticed the smell
of something burning..for real. This guy in street clothes jumps up onto the
stage (was only a movie theater type stage about 3 feet high), he was OLD
(about my age now-maybe younger), and he was a straight (he had short,
neatly cut hair). He reaches and tries to grab the mike from Roger Daltrey.
Roger Daltrey shies away from him while Pete Townsend moves in and gives
this guy an amazing full legged kick directly in his ....er..."bongos". The
guy went down like a ton of bricks and the crowd went wild. Security (in
those days they were called ushers) ran down, rolled the guy off of the
stage and onto the floor, then picked him up and threw him out of the side
door onto the street. We were wild. Who did this guy think he was?! But we
hadn't noticed that the stage was starting to get harder and harder to see
because of smoke. Then cops came streaming into the theather telling us
person to person, as they came down the aisles, to leave.
As I recall I think MY answer to the cop was that "I paid $5.50 for this
fuckin' seat and I aint leavin' til they leave the stage!" The cops ringed
the stage. Then the firemen came in and, again came down the aisle speaking
one to one with the people, and said we should leave immediately. That there
WAS a fire. The Who formed a huddle around Keith Moon and discussed
possibilities. Anyway the put their instruments down and left the stage.Well
me and my girl went out the side door and the smoke was so thick that you
couldn't see your hand in front of your face. What happened was that there
was a fire next door in the kitchen of the restaurant, Ratner's, that had
quickly spread. The guy who jumped up on stage turned out to be an
undercover cop who said that he grabbed the microphone and he identified
himself and asked the crowd to leave when he was savagely attacked by these
hippies with guitars who beat him up. The police went to the Who and their
lawyer arranged for a line-up the next day (I think) and the cop couldn't
identify who beat him up. I guess all of us hippies look(ed) alike. Or, the
manager paid the cop off to let it drop.

--

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

Nancy

Jan 11, 2001, 6:58:14 AM1/11/01
>First concert you went to -David Cassidy 72

>Last concert you went to -Earth, Wind & Fire 99

>Next concert you plan to go to - ??

>Loudest concert you went to -One doesn't stand out

>Worst concert you went to -Electric Light Orchestra 77?

>Best concert you went to - David Bowie in Sullivan Stadium 83
-
>Band or artist you have seen most in concert -Aerosmith 4 times

Molly

Jan 11, 2001, 11:52:12 AM1/11/01
I've already done this in the Retrotown mailing list, but I'll do it
here. I'm borrowing the form from Nancy's post. :)

> First concert you went to -The Who, Rich Stadium, July 18, 1989

> Last concert you went to -Squeeze, 1999

> Next concert you plan to go to - Whenever the Barenaked Ladies (the
> group) come to Buffalo I'll go see them. :)
>
> Loudest concert you went to -The Who

> Worst concert you went to -Blues Traveller

> Best concert you went to - Squeeze, Lafayette Square, Buffalo, NY 1998
>
> -
> >Band or artist you have seen most in concert - Squeeze (2 times)

Molly

The Wanderer

Jan 11, 2001, 12:26:12 PM1/11/01
"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in

My absolute favorite was seeing B.B. King,
> Bobby "Blue" Bland, and Ruth Brown at the Apollo (in the 6th row with the
> great love of my life at the time-who was also a MAJOR blues fan like me)
on
> April 4, '97 at Midnight. He came out, pulled up a chair, say down and
> played ALL of his stuff (just about) for about 2 1/2 hours. He was
> UNBELIEVABLE! (again)

Oh, and I forgot to mention that this was the concert that I got B.B. King
to autograph my woman's copy of his autobiography (that made me THE MAN) and
I got my Playbill poster for that night autographed, also. The poster is
hangin' in my hallway in a frame, with the ticket stub, and the Lucille Pin
he gave me. Along with a picture of Bobby "Blue" Bland that I took.

RetroTrish

Jan 11, 2001, 2:22:00 PM1/11/01
Nancy wrote in message ...

>>First concert you went to -David Cassidy 72

I saw David Cassidy about that same time (old Municipal Auditorium in
Atlanta - now part of GSU). I had a HUGE crush on him and the concert was a
big thrill at the time :-)

Tiny Dancer

Jan 11, 2001, 4:17:39 PM1/11/01
And so the word went out from Steve_2000 <steve...@my-deja.com>:

<big snip>

>Thus I was pleasantly surprised when Billy Joel was 'almost' as good (a
>big Billy Joel fan might say 'better'-certainly a great instrumentalist
>and a great 'hit' songwriter) during his peak years. Billy (like Bruce)
>is older now, and Still Good.

Other than Elton, for obvious personal reasons, Billy Joel is THE best
entertainer I've seen in concert, he really knocked himself out! I'll stick
up for the incredible "Angry Young Man" as well and I've never been as
moved as I was when I saw him do "Goodnight Saigon" in concert. That
helicopter was coming down from the rafters, I just knew it, amazing! He
did about 3 hours on his own including 3 encores, we just wouldn't let him
leave the stage! Saw him on the TV show "Actors Studio" not that long ago
and, man, he's still an amazing guy to watch. Mostly an interview but he'd
sit at the piano a few times to show why a certain song "worked" and his
fingers just flew. He's still got it in spades.

Cheers,

TD

Cause I never felt the desire
'Til their music set me on fire
And then I was saved
from Billy Joel's "Keeping The Faith"

For a good time call
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://i.am/tinyd

Tiny Dancer's X-Files Episode Guide
http://www.insanity.com.au/td/

Steve_2000

Jan 11, 2001, 6:27:27 PM1/11/01
In article <3a5df69a...@news.idirect.com>,

Preaching to the choir here, TD. I have many 'favorite artists' and
Billy is easily one of them.

The "Inside The Actor's Studio" TV show with Billy is great.

While not an actor, Billy proved to be an excellent choice for that
fine program. The moderator went a bit against form-inviting one of the
great popular musicians of our time-onto what is a prestigious 'actors
only' interview/workshop show.

On the program, Billy is very open and honest -as usual. He's also
frequently very funny and offers some fantastic insights about his
compositional style(s)- how certain songs came about etc. Lots of
incidental playing....showing sometimes intentionally funny things
about his music and pop music in general- and very
interesting/enlightening things about some of his popular -or
maybe 'strong statement' tunes.. And of course lots of anecdotes about
all phases of his career.

I really enjoyed it when, as the show went on, he kept running over to
the piano more and more to illustrate a point. It was like having him
over to your house to talk music.

It's a must-see (if you can get the Bravo Channel) for Billy Joel fans,
or anyone interested in listening to a great performer/songwriter talk
about his career and-really the goldmine here- His Songcraft.

Nancy

Jan 11, 2001, 6:51:36 PM1/11/01
Me too Trish ( the crush )
I think I wrote this before but I'll repeat how my little heart got broken
after the concert. I guess David really hated doing those concerts and in
the Boston Globe Reviews the next day he was quoted as saying " I sick and
tired of playing to all those little teenyboppers!"
Oh how what a bunch of sad little girls we were that day :(

Nancy

Jan 11, 2001, 6:55:28 PM1/11/01
Buddy what a bummer! Quite a memory of the good ole days though..
Nancy

Nancy

Jan 11, 2001, 7:02:54 PM1/11/01
I saw a show not too long ago. It was after Billy and Christie broke up. I
believe he was lecturing at a college to students about music.
What made me think he was just a cool guy was what he said at the very
beginning.
He asked the class if they had any questions for him- " for example, what IS
it like to sleep with Christie Brinkley?" LOL What a hot ticket!!!

Anne

Jan 11, 2001, 7:47:45 PM1/11/01
<< Saw him on the TV show "Actors Studio" not that long ago
and, man, he's still an amazing guy to watch. Mostly an interview but he'd
sit at the piano a few times to show why a certain song "worked" and his
fingers just flew. He's still got it in spades.

Cheers,

TD >>

TD,

I saw that Actor's Studio episode too and it made me LOVE him all the more.
He's so funny and down to earth and the talent just leaves me weak. I got GH
Vol 1&2 for Christmas and I also have his GH Vol. 3 also. I could listen to
them over and over again and never tire of him.

Anne

RetroTrish

Jan 11, 2001, 9:30:36 PM1/11/01
Nancy wrote (about David Cassidy concerts):

>I think I wrote this before but I'll repeat how my little heart got broken
>after the concert. I guess David really hated doing those concerts and in
>the Boston Globe Reviews the next day he was quoted as saying " I sick and
>tired of playing to all those little teenyboppers!"

I remember hearing about his comments a few years after I'd seen him and I
was so disappointed! Seems he *really* hated being a Partridge and the
whole teen idol thing :-(

Trit...@webtv.net

Jan 11, 2001, 9:28:56 PM1/11/01
First Concert: Loverboy & Quarterflash, 1982

Loudest Concert: Boston, May 1995--great concert, but the Nuclear
Testing Ground was calling asking them to keep it down.

Last Concert I Saw: Travis Tritt, August 2000.

Worst Concert: Sorry, TD, but it was Elton back in August 1984 on his
"Breaking Hearts" tour. I really like Elton, but he just didnt seem to
be having fun entertaining at this concert. Wonder if this was one of
his periods when he was dealing with deep personal issues?? He just
kind of routinely played his songs and didnt really even talk to the
audience. I would really like to see him again though, cuz I know he's
an awesome performer!

Best Concert: So many tie for first, its impossible to name one: Billy
Joel in 1984 & 1986...both times we had tickets within the first 5 rows!
He performed his ass off for the crowd. Leaping up on the speakers,
running around the stage, etc. Incredible.

Olivia Newton-John during her Physical tour in September 1982. She just
blew the audience away, singing, dancing, costume changes, doing
aerobics. It just happened to be her 34th birthday the night of this
concert. They wheeled out a huge birthday cake and the whole audience
of 30,000 sang Happy Birthday. Pretty unforgettable. She seemed
genuinely surprised.

Tina Turner, September 1985. Unbelievable show, with an incredible
reception from the audience. I dont think Ive ever witnessed so much
love in an audience for a performer as there was for her that night.

John Mellancamp--February 1986. I think you almost have to be in a
certain mood for his show. But, afterwards, I wanted to quit my office
job and just go out on the road playing guitar drinking beer in small
bars. :)

Honorable Mentions: Pat Benatar, Neil Diamond, Eric Clapton on his 1987
tour with Phil Collins playing drums!

Band or Artist seen the most: Olivia. 5 times!

Next Concert: Olivia, September 2001...just scored some tickets
yesterday. She'll be in Wisconsin (next state over) and we're in Row 7.

Steve_2000

Jan 11, 2001, 10:16:38 PM1/11/01

In article <20010110115817...@ng-da1.aol.com>,
dixon...@aol.comspamless (Dixon Hayes) wrote:
> Tom wrote:
>
> >Oh I'm sure that was great. Did he do some Nebraska songs, Dixon?
> >

> Yes, he did several? I specifically remember "Atlantic
City," "Johnny 99" and
> "Reason to Believe." He also did some unusual acoustic versions of
some of his
> band songs like "Born in the USA"
>
> Dixon

Fyi- Bruce put out a late 80s/ early 90s CD single of some live stuff
from his last tour with the E Street band before the big break. I don't
recall what the title track/chart single was, but it had some acoustic
songs as the other tracks, such as Dylan's Chimes of Freedom.

At that point in his career he was playing Born To Run
solo/acoustically, and that version is on the single. Great version of
a strong song. The rock studio version is one of my alltime favorite
records, but it's great to hear the strength in the song with just
Bruce and an acoustic guitar- and those 4 or 5 simple chords..

I've seen the CD out in used bins, not very expensive-least it didn't
used to be.

Never bought it, as he did a live 4th of July concert during that tour
year which was carried on a lot of FM stations around the country-
(guess he knew he was going to be making some Major career changes,
disbanding the group, etc) so I got that stuff straight off the air.

Steve

andy749

Jan 12, 2001, 9:38:41 AM1/12/01
First concert you went to - Deep Purple/Faces 1971
Last concert you went to - Willie Nelson 1982
Next concert you plan to go to - ?
Loudest concert you went to - Deep Purple
Worst concert you went to - Black Oak Arkansas 1972
Best concert you went to - Deep Purple runners up: Little Feat - Edgar
Winter Group w/Rick Derringer - Robin Trower
Band or artist you have seen most in concert - J.Geils Band

Tiny Dancer

Jan 12, 2001, 12:02:26 PM1/12/01
And so the word went out from Trit...@webtv.net:

>Worst Concert: Sorry, TD, but it was Elton back in August 1984 on his
>"Breaking Hearts" tour. I really like Elton, but he just didnt seem to
>be having fun entertaining at this concert. Wonder if this was one of
>his periods when he was dealing with deep personal issues?? He just
>kind of routinely played his songs and didnt really even talk to the
>audience. I would really like to see him again though, cuz I know he's
>an awesome performer!

Hmm ... must have just been a bad night, Tritt, I caught the same tour
here in Toronto and he did a great job. He got married that year, though,
and we all know he didn't really *want* to get married at the time so maybe
he did have some personal stuff going on.

>Next Concert: Olivia, September 2001...just scored some tickets
>yesterday. She'll be in Wisconsin (next state over) and we're in Row 7.

Cool! Have a great time and don't forget to report back to us!

Cheers,

TD

Move up, Starsky
For the C.I.A.
Suck on, Kojak
For the USA
from The Clash's "I'm So Bored With the U.S.A."

Webmistress of the official a.c.u '70s site

SFHALLY

Jan 12, 2001, 11:36:34 PM1/12/01

> First concert you went to -Earth,Wind & Fire!! What a night--they had two
opening acts. The Brothers Johnson(I'll Be Good to You) and the Three Degrees.
And I couldn't hear for the next two days. It was a great concert.

>> Last concert you went to -Tina Turner in November at the Staples Center in
LA--She Rocked!!

Harold

Jeff Troutman

Jan 14, 2001, 1:03:03 AM1/14/01
"Phaedra Alwell" <Phae...@webtv.net> wrote:
> Has anyone heard of Wishbone Ash and Black Oak Arkansas?
> My mom wants to know

Both bands are still out there doing club tours. Wishbone made decent
melodic guitar rock (their Argus LP being their pinnacle) and BOA were,
well, a mess, IMO. But charming in a pretty crude way.

Jeff Troutman

Steve_2000

Jan 14, 2001, 1:55:06 PM1/14/01
In article <93rfpd$p94$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>,
I remember catching Black Oak opening for Jeff Beck circa 1973.
Crude/charming is a good description. Big on volume and show, low on
decent songs and musicality. Tons of energy with no place to go.

Jim Dandy was one of the first guys to get out there with a minimal
voice and simple loud songs, but totally over the top on 'show'. The
crowd (Beck fans there to see a great guitarist) responded well. Many
or the young ladies who had been dragged to see the hot guitarist Beck
by their wannabe boyfriends (and I say this from...uh...personal
experience:) enjoyed the basic rock and ragged vocals of the
entertaining BOA.

I later thought guys like David Lee Roth (though he was working in a
great legendary band/Van Halen) and especially Vince Neil/Motley Crue
(which did their own version of stupid loud tunes) worked the "dyed-
blond haired lead singer with limited range but big show" deal pretty
well.

They had improved on the BOA/frontman formula and MC was a better (if
very simple) band than BOA. Of course, Van Halen/w Roth kinda defined
80s hard rock (beginning in 1978:). By comparison, BOA could barely
play, but there were a lot of early loud bands who couldn't play or
write very well. Check out the first several albums by Grand Funk
Rai...nevermind:) GFR did a pretty good live show even before their
material..improved, such as it did.

Roth and Neil (and some others) came along years later and standards
had generally risen for all bands, even the simple bands. Sound and
lights were/are Much Better.

I was young and dumb -in my own way- at the BOA concert and
didn't 'get' why such basic music and limited (poor)
musicianship/vocals were getting over with the crowd. BOA knew what
they could do, and what they couldn't -and Sold the Hell out of what
they did.

Years later I actually found myself at a Motley Crew concert. I was on
vacation and it was the only rock concert in that town that week -so I
just said, hell with it..and went. I checked my 'musical taste' at the
door going in and had a great time..along with everyone else in the
place. Actually that was one of the most (stupid) Fun -and loudest-
concerts I've been to. The audience went totally crazy and there were
tons of motivated young ladies who kept things even more interesting.

Motley (like BOA) never bit off more than they could chew, and did a
good job on their simple big guitar loud songs. I only knew one song,
but it didn't matter. They had the place jumping bigtime and 'the
little girls understood.' Also the slightly older 'little girls':) Big
Fun. It was 'Good Show' and a great party.

It was rock and roll.

Steve

The Wanderer

Jan 15, 2001, 4:14:39 AM1/15/01
Just a OT memory. Went to see the Dead out in Jersey City' (73 or '74). Took
the PATH out and proceeded to get in the line to get in (we already had our
tickets-it was as always a sell out). I was 22 or 23 at the time and was
with my wife at the time. Well four of the finest, most beautiful,
BO-daciously bodied, post-hippy women that I had EVER seen in my life were
standing off to the side of the line yelling up to the side of the building.
I looked up and there was a very small window about three stories up. There
was a head sticking out of that window, it was Phil Lesh. He was telling the
girls how to get in backstage, that he would leave word with the security
people, and did they understand the deal-did they really want to "party" and
hang out. It was clear that these girls were "groupies", and for the first
time in my life it actually "hurt" not to be a rock star. I had never seen
REAL "groupies" til now-only bimbos. But having seen real groupies negotiate
with rock stars was almost inspirational. Later when we got into the theater
and the Dead were introduced these beautiful girls were sitting on top of
one of the side speakers/monitors on stage. I knew what the pay off was for
the girls, and I could only fantasize what the payoff would be for the Dead.

"Kelly" <kwit...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> "> First concert you went to - Andy Gibb July 1978
> > Last concert you went to - U2 Popmart tour
> > Next concert you plan to go to - The next U2 tour
> > Loudest concert you went to - Ac/Dc
> > Worst concert you went to - The Cars in 1979
> > Best concert you went to - I can't pick the best one. But the most fun
> have had was at an INXS concert I went to in Allentown PA. The show was
> good, but friends that made it on of my most memorible.
> > Band or artist you have seen most in concert - U2 at least one time
every
> tour since the War album.

Aldo Pignotti

Jan 16, 2001, 12:48:28 PM1/16/01

First concert you went to - Wilson Picket 1969
Last concert you went to - Bruce Springsteen 2000
Next concert you plan to go to - ???
Loudest concert you went to - Grateful Dead - Boston Garden 3/31/73
(with the NRPS) - I was front and center in the 13th row...
Worst concert you went to - Grateful Dead - McNichols Arena, Denver,
1976 or so. The boys were flat that night.
Best concert you went to - It's either the prevously mentioned
Dead concert at the old Boston Garden or a Bruce Springsteen concert
I saw in a college auditorium in 1974. Both changed me forever.
That night at the old Boston Garden, the Dead played all my
favorite songs, sounded great and rocked until 3:30 in the morning.
The first time I saw Bruce Springsteen was in a 1,000 seat theater.
I had never heard of him except in reviews in "Rolling Stone" that
seemed too good to be true. That concert blew me away. It was a
whole new kind of music, my music, he was singing about my life.
Band or artist you have seen most in concert- For some reason, I'm
a little embarrassed to admit that I've seen the Dead 42 times.
Another time another place...

--
It ain't no sin
to be glad you're alive - the boss

LPecucci

Jan 16, 2001, 1:41:34 PM1/16/01
First concert you went to -The Mighty KISS,twice in one weekend 1979!

Last concert you went to - Warren Zevon,day before thanksgiving of 2000

Next concert you plan to go to - hopefully Ian Hunter's going to tour this
year..but it'll probably be NRBQ,they come at least twice a year to the Chicago
area....

Loudest concert you went to - Jesus & Mary Chain at the Metro,Chicago
86..yikes!

Worst concert you went to - The Flaming Lips 95 (or
96,cantremember)...artsy-farsty crap live,i liked some of their
records,though....

Best concert you went to - man! ...have to make a short list,cant possibly
narrow it down to one!:

Ronnie Spector - pk.west chicago 95
Ian Hunter - riviera,chicago 89
NRBQ - pk west,chicago 91
Alex Chilton - Metro,chicago 87
The Replacements - Cubby bear,chicago 84
Young Fresh Fellows - lounge ax,chicago 91

somebody stop me! i could go on all day!!!

have/want:Beatles/Can/Chilton/Costello/Cooper/Dylan/Kinks/Lowe/Mott/Nrbq/Only
Ones/Replacements/Stones/Slade/Thunders/Waits/B.Wilson/Y F Fellows&more!

http://members.aol.com/LPecucci/index.HOMEMIKE.html

LPecucci

Jan 22, 2001, 11:19:33 AM1/22/01
>Jim Dandy was one of the first guys to get out there with a minimal
>voice and simple loud songs,

I was about 9 or 10 when i saw Black Oak Arkansas on tv (Rock Concert w/wooden
Don Kirshner!)& even then i could tell ol' Jim wasnt much of a singer
technically...but,MAN,i wanted to be that guy!!!!

I still long to go onstage in a huge belt-buckle & no shirt!