Stump The Funk & Disco Experts

DavisK

Feb 5, 2001, 11:28:43 PM2/5/01
I'm gonna bite Nate's style for this one:

1. Pop group helped Ramsey Lewis record a number of tracks (including
the title one) for his album 'Sun Goddess'? Bonus - the group covered
the song on one of their later albums. Which one was it?

2. Randy Muller helped out BT Express in 1974 by arranging the strings
on that groups big hits 'Do It Till You're Satisfied' and 'Express'.
His own group would go on to have big hits in the years following.
What group was he in?

3. The core members of the disco group Chic only decided to start
playing Disco music because they wanted to become rich and famous.
What kind of music did they actually prefer to play?

4. Name the only surviving member of the original Temptations (i.e. not
including Dennis Edwards).

5. What was the name of the film that featured Donna Summer as one of
the characters, and also had a performance by The Commodores.

6. What was the name of the former Motown producer who would go on to
produce the soundtracks to the films 'Car Wash' and 'Which Way Is Up'?
Bonus - name the artists who recorded the title songs for those two
films.

7. Which Motown songwriting team went on to form their own label in the
late 60's and early 70's and produce such hits as 'Band of Gold' by
Freda Payne and 'Want Ads' by The Honeycone?

8. What cover of an Eddie Floyd song went to #1 in the late 70's, and
name the artist who covered it.

9. What keyboardist and bassist team produced George McCrae's #1
hit 'Rock Your Baby' and went on to have their own string of #1 hits in
their own group in the following years?

10. What was the name of the backing group that played on such hits as
The O'Jays 'I Love Music' and Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes' 'Bad Luck'?

These are super easy questions for anyone who is a hardcore
funker/discoer. I figured, I'll keep them easy so that those of you
guys not deep into the funk could figure them out. I hope that's
cool...

--
/-------|
}:^)7 -<///////}

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

aleen the karaoke queen

Feb 6, 2001, 1:05:24 AM2/6/01
In article <95nuhj$8cd$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

DavisK <davi...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> I'm gonna bite Nate's style for this one:
>
> 1. Pop group helped Ramsey Lewis record a number of tracks (including
> the title one) for his album 'Sun Goddess'? Bonus - the group covered
> the song on one of their later albums. Which one was it?

Earth Wind and Fire

> 2. Randy Muller helped out BT Express in 1974 by arranging the strings
> on that groups big hits 'Do It Till You're Satisfied' and 'Express'.
> His own group would go on to have big hits in the years following.
> What group was he in?

Brass Construction

> 3. The core members of the disco group Chic only decided to start
> playing Disco music because they wanted to become rich and famous.
> What kind of music did they actually prefer to play?

Weren't they a fusion band before?

> 4. Name the only surviving member of the original Temptations (i.e.
not
> including Dennis Edwards).

Is it Otis Williams?

> 5. What was the name of the film that featured Donna Summer as one of
> the characters, and also had a performance by The Commodores.

Thank God It's Friday!

> 6. What was the name of the former Motown producer who would go on to
> produce the soundtracks to the films 'Car Wash' and 'Which Way Is Up'?
> Bonus - name the artists who recorded the title songs for those two
> films.

Norman Whitfield
Car Wash was done by Rose Royce and
Which Way Is Up is done by Stargard (love that song!)

> 7. Which Motown songwriting team went on to form their own label in
the
> late 60's and early 70's and produce such hits as 'Band of Gold' by
> Freda Payne and 'Want Ads' by The Honeycone?

Holland Dozier Holland (Eddie Holland, Lamont Dozier and Brian Holland
formed the label Invictus/Hot Wax in the early 70s. Remember Laura Lee
("Wedlock is a Padlock")? She was on this label, as well as Chairmen
of the Board (Give Me Just A Little More Time)

> 8. What cover of an Eddie Floyd song went to #1 in the late 70's, and
> name the artist who covered it.

Knock On Wood, covered by Amii Stewart, I have the 45!

> 9. What keyboardist and bassist team produced George McCrae's #1
> hit 'Rock Your Baby' and went on to have their own string of #1 hits
in
> their own group in the following years?

Harry Wayne "KC" Casey and Richard Finch, who with their band KC and
the Sunshine Band had lots of smash hits!

> 10. What was the name of the backing group that played on such hits as
> The O'Jays 'I Love Music' and Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes' 'Bad
Luck'?

Hmmmmm good question, I know McFadden and Whitehead were involved with
both groups but I have no idea who sang backup!

> These are super easy questions for anyone who is a hardcore
> funker/discoer. I figured, I'll keep them easy so that those of you
> guys not deep into the funk could figure them out. I hope that's
> cool...

That was fun DavisK!!!

Have a great day! :-)

aleen the funky disco diva, a disco fan since the age of 11

Francis McGill

Feb 6, 2001, 1:30:36 AM2/6/01
KC turned 50 today . . . big celebration in Miami over that.

* *
* Francis McGill *
* a052...@bc.seflin.org *
* "Glory to God in the Highest" *
* *

The Wanderer

Feb 6, 2001, 1:44:31 AM2/6/01
"DavisK" <davi...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> I'm gonna bite Nate's style for this one:
>
> 1. Pop group helped Ramsey Lewis record a number of tracks (including
> the title one) for his album 'Sun Goddess'? Bonus - the group covered
> the song on one of their later albums. Which one was it?
>
> 2. Randy Muller helped out BT Express in 1974 by arranging the strings
> on that groups big hits 'Do It Till You're Satisfied' and 'Express'.
> His own group would go on to have big hits in the years following.
> What group was he in?
>
> 3. The core members of the disco group Chic only decided to start
> playing Disco music because they wanted to become rich and famous.
> What kind of music did they actually prefer to play?
>
> 4. Name the only surviving member of the original Temptations (i.e. not
> including Dennis Edwards).

Otis Williams

> 5. What was the name of the film that featured Donna Summer as one of
> the characters, and also had a performance by The Commodores.

Thank God It's Friday

> 6. What was the name of the former Motown producer who would go on to
> produce the soundtracks to the films 'Car Wash' and 'Which Way Is Up'?
> Bonus - name the artists who recorded the title songs for those two
> films.
>
> 7. Which Motown songwriting team went on to form their own label in the
> late 60's and early 70's and produce such hits as 'Band of Gold' by
> Freda Payne and 'Want Ads' by The Honeycone?
>
> 8. What cover of an Eddie Floyd song went to #1 in the late 70's, and
> name the artist who covered it.

Knock On Wood - ?

> 9. What keyboardist and bassist team produced George McCrae's #1
> hit 'Rock Your Baby' and went on to have their own string of #1 hits in
> their own group in the following years?

Hall And Oats

> 10. What was the name of the backing group that played on such hits as
> The O'Jays 'I Love Music' and Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes' 'Bad Luck'?

Love Unlimited?

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

Tiny Dancer

Feb 7, 2001, 12:13:14 PM2/7/01
And so the word went out from DavisK <davi...@my-deja.com>:

>Last I heard of Thom Bell was him being associated with the album by
>Bell & James that featured 'Livin It Up (Friday Night)' from '78. That
>album also had MFSB playing underneath.

He did some work with Elton in the late '70s ("Mama Can't Buy You Love")
that was released on an album 10 years later as "The Complete Thom Bell
Sessions". "Shine On Through" from the album "A Single Man" was another
tune he had a hand in that's included on the album.

Cheers,

TD

I could whistle up an old tune
That your memory might recall
Rustle up some reminisce
'Bout the good old days and all
from Harry Chapin's "If My Mary Were Here"

Webmistress of the official a.c.u '70s site
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://i.am/tinyd

Tiny Dancer's X-Files Episode Guide
http://www.insanity.com.au/td/