Clapping Games

Oriole Adams

May 25, 2001, 6:54:51 PM5/25/01
OK, the discussion about street games reminded me of some of the goofy clapping
games we used to play. Actually, looking back, I think it was strictly a
'girl' thing.

Anyone else play stuff like Miss Merry Mac, or "Say, say, sweet playmate", or
any other clapping games?

~ Oriole ~~
The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw...

Yeff

May 25, 2001, 9:08:58 PM5/25/01
In article <20010525185451...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,
Oriole Adams<oriol...@aol.com> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> Anyone else play stuff like Miss Merry Mac,

Miss Merry Mac, Mac
All dressed in black, black
With silver buttons, buttons
All down her back, back

That's all I remember.

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

Dixon Hayes

May 25, 2001, 10:13:39 PM5/25/01
The only one I remember was "peas porridge hot."

Peas porridge hot,
Peas porridge cold,
Peas porridge in the pot,
Nine days old...

Dixon
===========
"So what if she had fat knees and talked alot?"
--Barney Fife

Classic Hollywood Squares:
http://www.geocities.come/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

WiNK

May 25, 2001, 10:33:35 PM5/25/01
I played them....and I'm trying to teach my daughter. These are the ones I
remember:
Miss Merry Mack Mack Mack
All Dressed in Black Black Black
With Silver Buttons Buttons Buttons
All Down Her Back Back Back
She Jumped So High High High
She Touched the Sky Sky Sky
And She Didn't Come Back Back Back
Til the 4th of July ly Ly! :-)

Also.....
Miss Lucy had a steamboat,
The steamboat had a bell,
Miss Lucy went to heaven
and the steamboat went to

Hello operator,
Give me number nine,
And if you disconnect me
I will kick you in the

Behind the 'frigerator,
There was a piece of glass.
Miss Lucy sat upon it
and she broke her little

Ask me no more questions,
Tell me no more lies,
Miss Lucy's in the bathroom,
Baking chocolate pies.

FINALLY....there was the alternate See See Oh Playmate.......
See see oh enemy,
Come out and fight with me,
And bring your weapons three,
Climb up my poison tree,
Slide down my razor blade,
Into the Alcohol.
And we'll be enemies,
For ever more more shut-the-door. (Or something like that)

Nadine

WiNK

May 25, 2001, 10:35:36 PM5/25/01
OOPS....I forgot the "asked her mother for 50 cents to see the elephant jump
the fence" business. LOL :-) In Merry Mack, that is.

Nadine

WiNK <elvis...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Jamie

May 25, 2001, 10:34:57 PM5/25/01
Clapping games were big when I was a kid, we played them for hours,
and now my daughter plays them a lot too with her friends, and she
just taught me a new one a few days ago. But they seem to be a lot
more complicated than I remember. It's not that I'm a lot less
coordinated or anything ;)

Anyway, the one I remember is

Helen had a steamboat
Her steamboat had a bell
When Helen went to heaven
Her steamboat went to ......... Hello operator,
please give me number nine
And if you don't connect me,
I'll kick you in ............ behind the iron curtain
there was a piece of glass
and when Helen sat upon it..
She hurt her little ............ ask me no more questions
and tell me no more lies
and that's the end of Helen
and all her dirty lies lies lies

LizzieZ

May 26, 2001, 12:55:25 AM5/26/01
>Helen had a steamboat
>Her steamboat had a bell
>When Helen went to heaven
>Her steamboat went to ......... Hello operator,
>please give me number nine
>And if you don't connect me,
>I'll kick you in ............ behind the iron curtain
>there was a piece of glass
>and when Helen sat upon it..
>She hurt her little ............ ask me no more questions
>and tell me no more lies
>and that's the end of Helen
>and all her dirty lies lies lies

Funny, we learned it as "Miss Lucy" instead of "Helen." The other change was
this: "And if you disconnect me I'll [something] your... behind the
'frigerator there was a piece of glass, Miss Lucy sat upon it and she broke her
little... ask me no more questions, tell me no more lies, Miss Lucy's in the
[something]..." I seem to remember another one that had something to do with a
crocodile and a purse... Amazing how these things travel and morph from place
to place and time to time.

My "Zoom Catalog" has a bunch of different clapping games too (we referred to
them in general as Merry Macs).

Did anyone mention the "Oreo" one? It went like this:

Do you know exactly how to eat an Oreo?
Well, to do it, you unscrew it, very fast.
'Cause a kid'll eat the middle of an Oreo first and save the chocolate cookie
outside for last!

I still remember that one perfectly! Pretty tired right now, but if I remember
any more later I'll post them.

Liz

WiNK

May 26, 2001, 8:37:55 AM5/26/01
And we said it "Miss Susie" instead of Helen and Miss Lucy....
Miss Susie also had a baby....but I can't remember that one.
Just remember...."He drank up all the water, he ate up all the soap, he
tried to eat the bathtub, but it wouldn't go down his throat!"

Nadine

LizzieZ <liz...@aol.comedy> wrote in message

Jamie

May 26, 2001, 10:21:56 AM5/26/01
>And we said it "Miss Susie" instead of Helen and Miss Lucy....
>Miss Susie also had a baby....but I can't remember that one.
>Just remember...."He drank up all the water, he ate up all the soap, he
>tried to eat the bathtub, but it wouldn't go down his throat!"

Miss Susie had a baby
She named him Tiny Tim
She put him in the bathtub
To see if he could swim

He drank up all the water

He ate up all the soap
He tried to eat the bathtub
But it wouldn't go down his throat

Mommy called the doctor
Mommy called the nurse
Mommy called the lady with the alligator purse

Needle said the doctor
Needle said the nurse
Pizza said the lady with the alligator purse

How's that? I just got that from my kid ;)

Jamie

Dixon Hayes

May 26, 2001, 10:39:06 AM5/26/01
Liz wrote:

>Do you know exactly how to eat an Oreo?
>Well, to do it, you unscrew it, very fast.
>'Cause a kid'll eat the middle of an Oreo first and save the chocolate cookie
>outside for last!

That was a clapping game? Interesting...it was also the actual jingle Nabisco
used in its Oreo TV ads, circa 1969. I have it on a tape of old commercial
jingles...

WiNK

May 26, 2001, 10:57:26 AM5/26/01
That's the one!!! Thanks, Jamie!!!!! :-)

Nadine

Jamie <mcer...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Molly

May 26, 2001, 12:53:03 PM5/26/01
I used to love clapping games. I can't remember any of them though.
:) But there's a song called, "The Clapping Song" by Mary Ellis(?) and
covered by The Belle Stars. This is just a great song to listen to.

Molly

LizzieZ

May 26, 2001, 12:52:52 PM5/26/01
>>Do you know exactly how to eat an Oreo?
>>Well, to do it, you unscrew it, very fast.
>>'Cause a kid'll eat the middle of an Oreo first and save the chocolate
>cookie
>>outside for last!
>
>That was a clapping game? Interesting...it was also the actual jingle Nabisco
>used in its Oreo TV ads, circa 1969. I have it on a tape of old commercial
>jingles...
>
>Dixon

Well, if anyone would have known that, I should have expected it would be you,
Dixon! :-) And that makes perfect sense, too; I always thought it was way too
clever to have evolved as just a clapping game.

Liz

Molly

May 26, 2001, 1:00:38 PM5/26/01
OMG, I remember that one, Nadine. :)

Molly

Larry Naessens

May 26, 2001, 1:22:31 PM5/26/01

> Anyway, the one I remember is
>
> Helen had a steamboat
> Her steamboat had a bell
> When Helen went to heaven
> Her steamboat went to ......... Hello operator,
> please give me number nine
> And if you don't connect me,
> I'll kick you in ............ behind the iron curtain
> there was a piece of glass
> and when Helen sat upon it..
> She hurt her little ............ ask me no more questions
> and tell me no more lies
> and that's the end of Helen
> and all her dirty lies lies lies

The only one I recall is very similar to yours, only Mary had the steam
boat, the piece of glass was behind the refrigerator, and the last line
advised: "Now you know that Mary wasn't very wise."

Sandy

May 26, 2001, 6:58:44 PM5/26/01
>"Say, say, sweet playmate",

Yes, yes!....but we sang it Oh Jolly Playmate! I loved that one :)

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

Sandy

May 26, 2001, 7:00:11 PM5/26/01
>Miss Merry Mac, Mac
>All dressed in black, black
>With silver buttons, buttons
>All down her back, back
>
>That's all I remember.
>
>-Jeff B.

Gee, Jeff B.....you would have been fun to play with! Now, don't go and tell
us your SISTER used to sing that...teeheehee

Sandy

May 26, 2001, 7:01:09 PM5/26/01
>"peas porridge hot."
>
>Peas porridge hot,
>Peas porridge cold,
>Peas porridge in the pot,
>Nine days old...

some like it hot
some like it cold
some like it in a pot
nine days old!

Very good Dixon!

Sandy

May 26, 2001, 7:02:33 PM5/26/01

Nadine!!!! Your not teaching your daughter THOSE are you????

The Wanderer

May 26, 2001, 8:26:16 PM5/26/01
The way I remember it it was (here in N.Y.C.):

Miss Lucy had a steam boat
the steamboat had a bell

Miss Lucy went to heaven and

the steamboat went to....

Hello operator
give me number nine
and if that line is busy
I'll scratch your.......

behind 'frigerator
there is a piece of glass
and eveytime you step on it
it goes up your.......

ask me no more questions

I'll tell you nore more lies
the boys are in the bathroom
pulling down their......

flies are in the (I forget)
bees are in the park
boys and girls are kissing
in the D-A-R-K dark...

It went on from there but I honestly dont remember it.
How about:

One dark day in the mi\ddle of the night
two dead boys got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other
pulled their knives and shot each other
The deaf policemen heard the noise
and came to kill the two dead boys
If you dont believe this tale that's tall
ask the blindman
he saw it all

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://members.nbci.com/orobus12/70s.html

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis
"Larry Naessens" <lnae...@qwest.net> wrote in message

Francis McGill

May 27, 2001, 4:34:30 AM5/27/01
Wow, we didn't have those last two lines; these were ours:

"The boys are in the bathroom,
Pulling up their flies."

WiNK (elvis...@yahoo.com) wrote:
: Ask me no more questions,

: Tell me no more lies,
: Miss Lucy's in the bathroom,
: Baking chocolate pies.

* *
* Francis McGill *
* a052...@bc.seflin.org *
* "Glory to God in the Highest" *
* *

Francis McGill

May 27, 2001, 4:36:10 AM5/27/01
"Flies are in the kitchen"

Jason Lebouef

May 27, 2001, 10:46:46 AM5/27/01

Oriole Adams <oriol...@aol.com> wrote in message

This reminds me of the awesome "Childhood Sayings" Thread

"Up your nose with a rubber hose"

"I'm rubber, you're glue..."

"Sticks and stone may break my bones but words can never hurt me" (yeah
right)

Crazy Fingers

May 27, 2001, 10:50:22 AM5/27/01
If you want to hear what may be the whole version of that Merry Mac song,
check out "Walkin' The Dog" by Aerosmith. There's a lot of "nursery rhymes"
in that to a rhythm. It's off of their first album (self-titled).

Crazy Fingers

"Sandy" <sand...@aol.com> wrote in message

Lorrie

May 27, 2001, 3:40:01 PM5/27/01
Jason writes:
>"Sticks and stone may break my bones but words can never hurt me" (yeah
>right)

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me.

Lorrie (I'm just repeating something that I heard once, believe me, that isn't
something that I promote, lol :)

tmbelding

May 27, 2001, 11:30:51 PM5/27/01
Hi!
I remember one we use to clap to and it part of it went like this...

Have u ever ever ever in you long legged life
Seen a long leged salior and his long leged wife
No i have never never never in my long leged life
Seen a long leged sailor and his long leged wife

I think there is more but been years and years since way back then. Many
moons have passed :) Anyone heard of this one??

Jason

May 28, 2001, 12:05:59 AM5/28/01

tmbelding wrote:

> Hi!
> I remember one we use to clap to and it part of it went like this...
>
> Have u ever ever ever in you long legged life
> Seen a long leged salior and his long leged wife
> No i have never never never in my long leged life
> Seen a long leged sailor and his long leged wife
>
> I think there is more but been years and years since way back then. Many
> moons have passed :) Anyone heard of this one??

The next verse uses "bow-legged sailor" and another verse switches it to
"knock-kneed", IIRC

LizzieZ

May 28, 2001, 1:17:51 AM5/28/01
>The next verse uses "bow-legged sailor" and another verse switches it to
> "knock-kneed", IIRC

A-ha! This just reminded me of another one -- does anyone remember "Chester?"
In it, you do motions that point to whatever body part or sense is within a
word:

CHESTer, have you HEARD about HARRy (hair-y),
Just got BACK from the ARMy
I HEAR he KNOWS (nose) how to wear a rose,
HIP HIP hooray for the ARMy.

You start it out slow and get faster each time, until you start looking like
Bernadette and risk tying your arms in knots...

Reminds me of another goofy one with gestures that I remember from the same
time (that we also sped up with each pass):

Do your ears hang low?
Do they wobble to and fro?
Can you tie 'em in a knot,
Can you tie 'em in a bow?
Can you throw 'em over your sholder,
Like a continental soldier?
Do your ears hang low?

All of a sudden all these camp songs are coming back to me! But I have this
bad habit of reading this group when I'm getting ready for bed and can't think
straight... ;-) Hope I'll come up with some more later, or at least jog them
in your memories as well.

Liz

LizzieZ

May 28, 2001, 11:57:10 AM5/28/01
>CHESTer, have you HEARD about HARRy (hair-y),
>Just got BACK from the ARMy
>I HEAR he KNOWS (nose) how to wear a rose,
>HIP HIP hooray for the ARMy.

To correct myself (which I realized as I was lying in bed this morning trying
to steal some more sleep), I missed a few in that song:

CHESTer have you HEARD about HAIR-Y,
Just got BACK from the ARM-ME.
EYE HEAR he NOSE how to wear a rose,
HIP HIP Hooray for the ARM-ME.

Also reminds me of "Head Shoulders Knees and Toes," in the songs-with-gestures
category.

Liz

Tiny Dancer

May 28, 2001, 5:24:12 PM5/28/01
And so the word went out from a052...@bc.seflin.org (Francis McGill):

>"Flies are in the kitchen"

Gee, sorry to hear that, Francis, time to wash those dishes, huh? ;-)
After reading all the messages in this thread at once, I have a simple
query: how the heck do I get them out of my head now?! I must have
led a sheltered life, can't remember playing any clapping games after
Patty-Cake!

Cheers,

TD

Clap for the Wolfman
He gonna rate your record high
Clap for the Wolfman
You gonna dig him till the day you die
from The Guess Who's "Clap For The Wolfman"

For a good time call
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://i.am/tinyd