End of the year survey

1 view

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 16, 2001, 10:37:35 AM11/16/01

Now that 2001 is in its final few weeks, how about a survey of the year's
highlights (and lowlights). What would you say are your picks for the following
categories?:

*Best movie
*Worst movie
*Best TV show
*Worst TV show
*Best new TV show
*Best acting performance
*Song of the year
*Record (CD) of the year
*Best moment in sports
*Man/Woman of the year
*Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any other
year)
*biggest news event of the year
*a personal highlight
*a personal lowlight
*the year's biggest annoyance

-------------------
none of our pockets are filled with gold
nobody's caught the bouquet
there are no dead presidents we can fold
nothing is going our way

--Tom Waits (More Than Rain, 1987)

MartiDave

Nov 16, 2001, 11:53:12 AM11/16/01
Response by Dave Spiegel

>*Best movie
I saw 4 movies this year, that was it. So the best was Hearts in Atlantis
>*Worst movie
I can't even remember the name. It was Jack Nicholson as a washed up old cop
who lives with this lady and then uses her daughter as a decoy

>*Best TV show
100 Centre Street
>*Worst TV show
Judging Amy I can't stomach Tyne Daly
>*Best new TV show
I have found myself laughing uproariously at SCRUBS
>*Best acting performance
I am sorely tempted to make a smart mouth political comment here, but given the
diverse nature of our group, I will refrain. I will instead say that the best
performance of the year by an actor or actress goes to I just don't know. Oh
I'll say the best performance was by Chris Meloni on Law and Order SVU and Oz.
He plays such diverse characters in these shows.
>*Song of the year
See Answer below

>*Record (CD) of the year

I do not know if it is this year or Last, but for me the best was BB King and
Eric Clapton's Ridin With the King
>*Best moment in sports
University of AZ makes it to the NCAA final game in hoops.
>*Man/Woman of the year
If it is meant only to be "Good person" of the year than I nominate New Yorkers
in general. If it is meant to signify the person who has had the most impact
on the world than I have to say Osama Bin Laden. This is not meant to be
congratulatory to him, it is simply acknowledging the fact that his actions
have made the greatest impact on the world. His impact was negative, but it
was huge none the less. So in conclusion my heroes of the year are New
Yorkers. My villain is Osama Bin Laden.

>*Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any other
>year)

Killer Angels

>*biggest news event of the year

9/11/01
>*a personal highlight
Seeing my daughter's face when we stepped out of the train station in NYC. She
was a picture of awe and wonder. As a side note this was also that day that I
had lunch with Tom.
>*a personal lowlight
My Father's death

>*the year's biggest annoyance

At the risk of sounding incredibly shallow the biggest annoyance for me has
been the impact that Anthrax has had on my mail. I am still not getting my
mail with any regularity
Dave

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 16, 2001, 12:31:09 PM11/16/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Now that 2001 is in its final few weeks, how about a survey of the year's
>highlights (and lowlights). What would you say are your picks for the following
>categories?:
>
>*Best movie

My two favorite, both brilliant: Ghost World, and Waking Life

>*Worst movie

based entirely on the commercials, Corky Romano; Shallow Hall and Glitter
may be close seconds

>*Best TV show

My favorite show at the moment: Malcolm in the Middle; The Sopranos in a
close 2nd place

>*Worst TV show

Temptation Island II

>*Best new TV show

I am really liking Undeclared and Smallville

>*Best acting performance

Steve Buscemi and Thora Birch in Ghost World

>*Song of the year

a bunch of good ones, including:
Flower - Moby
Hashpipe - Weezer
All the Way to Reno - R.E.M.
Because I got High - Afroman
Get to Know Ya - Maxwell
Push the Hand - the Toadies
Short Skirt, Long Jacket - Cake
Fallin' - Alicia Keyes
Sing - Travis
I Might Be Wrong - Radiohead

I guess my favorite is All the Way to Reno

>*Record (CD) of the year

My favorite: The Ex - Dizzy Spells,
but, honorable mention to the following:
R.E.M. - Reveal
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Loudon Wainwright - Last Man on Earth
Sparklehorse - It's A Wonderful Life
The Clean - Getaway
Tricky - Blowback
Lou Reed - American Poet
Jad Fair and Daniel Johnston - It's Spooky

>*Best moment in sports

The World Series; this year's was a real classic

>*Man/Woman of the year

I think that I agree with Dave: Osama and the rest of al Queda, who set in
motion the biggest event of the year.

>*Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any other
>year)

I finally read Helter Skelter, and it was a great read.

>*biggest news event of the year

9/11. I would think that nothing else comes close.

>*a personal highlight

re-embracing academia; also, the Clean at Maxwells with Kelly, as well as
the NY-Boston gathering in NYC.

>*a personal lowlight

Probably 9/11, which hit home for me on so many levels.

>*the year's biggest annoyance

the plethora of annoyingly bad music and movies, and feeling increasingly
out of touch in a world of 12 year old tastemakers.

Tom

WiNK

Nov 16, 2001, 1:03:05 PM11/16/01

MartiDave <jun...@aol.combos> wrote in message

> At the risk of sounding incredibly shallow the biggest annoyance for me
has
> been the impact that Anthrax has had on my mail. I am still not getting
my
> mail with any regularity
> Dave

I agree, Dave.....if I can vent (thank you) I had to send off a payment to
my insurance company CERTIFIED with a return receipt. I have attempted
TWICE to mail them my premium (a check for $179) and it has gone lost!!!!!
I feel like I'm living a nightmare..... it just doesn't make it to the end
location. On top of that, for the past 2 months I am either A. Receiving
Mail that doesn't belong to me or B. Bemoaning the outgoing mail that isn't
picked up. or C. Not getting things that were sent DAYS and DAYS ago.

I know there is a lot of fear...I understand that. But I remember when I
used to feel like we could count on the US Mail. Now everyday I wonder....
"Did I get everything? Did I miss something important today?"

Nadine

The Wanderer

Nov 16, 2001, 1:50:58 PM11/16/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> the NY-Boston gathering in NYC.

Agreed.

> the plethora of annoyingly bad music and movies, and feeling increasingly
> out of touch in a world of 12 year old tastemakers.

Welcome to MY world.
--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

MollyFa

Nov 16, 2001, 4:26:33 PM11/16/01
Here's my choices.

*Best movie: "Bridget Jones' Diary"
*Worst movie I've only seen "Bridget Jones" Diary", so I can't comment here
*Best TV show: The Drew Carey Show
*Worst TV show: Rendez View (even though Greg Proops is one one of the hosts, I
hate this show)
*Best new TV show: Crossing Jordan
*Best acting performance: Anthony Edwards (ER)
*Song of the year: "Southside" - Moby with Gwen Steffani
*Record (CD) of the year: WHOA, NELLY - Nelly Furtado
*Best moment in sports: Don't watch sports
*Man/Woman of the year Paul McCartney, for putting that benefit concert together
so fast

*Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any other

year): "Me Talk Pretty One Day" - David Sadaris
*biggest news event of the year: Who could forget September 11. I was at home and
saw the plane hit the second tower. That image is now perminately etched in my
brain.
*a personal highlight: Getting a new job!!!
*a personal lowlight: Finding out one of my best friends relatives was killed in
the World Trade Center disaster
*the year's biggest annoyance: The fake Anthrax scares.

Molly

rach

Nov 16, 2001, 7:26:20 PM11/16/01
Great thread Mr T...

--

rach
"cheer up, my brother, come live in the sunshine - we'll understand it all

> *Best movie...SNATCH
> *Worst movie...AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER
> *Best TV show...WILL & GRACE, FRIENDS, MARTHA STEWART LIVING
> *Worst TV show...ALLIE MC BEAL
> *Best new TV show...???
> *Best acting performance...BRAD PITT AND MIKE REID IN SNATCH
> *Song of the year...ROLLIN'
> *Record (CD) of the year...I AM NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE MUSIC SCENE LATELY
> *Best moment in sports...WHEN WCW JOINED WWF
> *Man/Woman of the year... MY MOM

> *Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any
other

> year)... THE ART OF HAPPINESS BY HIS HOLINESS THE DALI LAMA
> *biggest news event of the year... 9/11
> *a personal highlight...DOMINICAN REPUBLIC ON MY OWN
> *a personal lowlight...TURNING 30
> *the year's biggest annoyance...TURNING 30

Crazy Fingers

Nov 17, 2001, 9:59:59 AM11/17/01
Suppose the world will see an increase in ETFs? If I could pay my rent that
way, I would.

Dustin

"WiNK" <elvis...@yahoopride.com> wrote in message

Crazy Fingers

Nov 17, 2001, 10:14:17 AM11/17/01

> *Best movie
"Snatch" was pretty good, but was that this year or last year? We didn't see
many memorable movies this year.
> *Worst movie
"K-PAX" or "American Pie 2".
> *Best TV show
I've always like "Law & Order" on A&E, but we got rid of cable, ironically
on Sept. 10.
> *Worst TV show
Most of what's on TV is garbage as far as I've concerned.
> *Best new TV show
Haven't watched any of the new shows.
> *Best acting performance
"The Rock" for his role in "The Mummy Returns". Just kidding. I'm not sure.
No answer.
> *Song of the year
I haven't listened to much of the new stuff, even new releases by
classic-rock artists.

> *Record (CD) of the year
See above answer.
> *Best moment in sports
Seeing Chuck Knoblauch get ridiculed by the media when the Yanks came her to
play the Twins. Sorry, NY'ers. It's not you, it's him.
> *Man/Woman of the year
President George W. Bush

> *Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any
other
> year)
The "Left Behind" series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins.

> *biggest news event of the year
Sept. 11
> *a personal highlight
Finishing the first draft of my novel AND my new job at the Tribune (which
may very soon become full-time).
Anniversary trip with my wife (of course) to Las Vegas. It was our first
long non-business trip together.
> *a personal lowlight
Figuring a new budget after walking out of my old job. The boss is trying to
push Sheila out of there too, and seems to be doing a good job. She's
looking for something different.

> *the year's biggest annoyance
Landlords who don't fix things, even two months after you tell them about
it. Sorry. I guess that was a little bitter and doesn't affect everyone
else. I don't know.

> -------------------
> none of our pockets are filled with gold
> nobody's caught the bouquet
> there are no dead presidents we can fold
> nothing is going our way
>
> --Tom Waits (More Than Rain, 1987)

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

Kelly

Nov 17, 2001, 11:23:11 AM11/17/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote

> Now that 2001 is in its final few weeks, how about a survey of the year's
> highlights (and lowlights). What would you say are your picks for the
following
> categories?:

I tried to fill this out, I really did. But I can't. The year isn't over for
me yet. It hasn't been the greatest year, it has a month and a half to
redeem itself. Ask me the same questions 01Jan.

Kelly

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 17, 2001, 1:03:25 PM11/17/01

"Crazy Fingers" <pete...@smig.net> wrote:
>>> *Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any
>other
>> year)

>The "Left Behind" series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins.

Dustin, what are these books about? I haven't read them, but I remember the
author as being a key player in the Christian right. Do his religious/political
views come out in these books?

Tom

LizzieZ

Nov 17, 2001, 2:06:53 PM11/17/01
Wow, this was hard! I'm not used to having to think this much in this group.
;-)

>*Best movie
Don't think I can come up with just one - even though I didn't see too many in
the theater - because the few I did see were all very enjoyable, including:
The Dish
Shrek
Bridget Jones' Diary
Legally Blonde
The Closet

>*Worst movie
Luckily I don't see too many bad ones in the theater, but I did waste an awful
lot of time in my living room watching "Magnolia" and "Meet the Parents."

>*Best TV show
"The West Wing" (Thank goodness Aaron Sorkin still has an outlet for his
brilliance since the phenomenal "Sports Night" was dumped by ABC.)

>*Worst TV show
I watched one episode of "Kristin" (the Kristin Chenoweth show on NBC - oh, you
never heard of it? big surprise...) - scratch that, I watched 15 minutes of it
and decided I couldn't lose any more of my life to this garbage. Such a shame,
but another example of taking a great talent and screwing up a show around her.
(She won the Tony for playing Sally in "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown," and
I was really hoping this would be a good move for her.)

Besides that, I'm getting really bored with NYPD Blue. Of course, there's also
all those horrid "reality shows" and godawful game shows like "Weakest Link."

>*Best new TV show
Crossing Jordan

>*Best acting performance
Judy Davis as Judy Garland in the ABC mini-series

>*Song of the year
I really don't listen to new music

>*Record (CD) of the year

"The Producers" cast album

>*Best moment in sports

>*Man/Woman of the year

>*Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any other
>year)

I can list a lot in this category!! I read some outstanding books, just this
summer (all published within the last 2 years, I believe):

"The Red Tent" - amazing feminist view of the biblical story of Joseph and his
brothers. Did you know that they also had a sister? The story is from her
perspective and I couldn't put it down.

"Girl With a Pearl Earring" - Named for one of Dutch painter Vermeer's most
famous works, the book explores who the mystery girl in the painting might have
been. Extraordinary concept, and another one I read in about 2 days.

"Motherland" - true story of the author's mother, who was sent to America from
her small town in Germany in 1938 at the age of 12. She never saw her family
again (killed in the Holocaust), but in 1990 went back to the town with her
daughter (the author) to see what she could learn about her family's fate.
Just about everyone she grew up with still lived there, and they welcomed her
with guilty wide-open arms and told everything they knew. Read this in about 5
hours, it was that gripping and well-written.

"Me Talk Pretty One Day" - Molly already mentioned it, and I second it for a
purely humorous read. David Sedaris often reads his essays on "This American
Life" on NPR, so you may be familiar with him from that.

>*biggest news event of the year

9.11.01

>*a personal highlight
co-chairing a very successful benefit

>*a personal lowlight
a relationship going bust

>*the year's biggest annoyance

Trying to deal with Blue Cross over not covering a CT scan after my fainting
episode over the summer

Very interesting thread idea!

Liz

Jeff Troutman

Nov 17, 2001, 3:09:20 PM11/17/01
<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> Now that 2001 is in its final few weeks, how about a survey of the year's
> highlights (and lowlights). What would you say are your picks for the
following
> categories?:
>
> *Best movie

Toss-up between Shrek and Memento

> *Worst movie

Haven't seen a bad one this year; I'll nominate Shallow Hal based on the

> *Best TV show

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

> *Worst TV show

Love Cruise

> *Best new TV show

Undeclared

> *Best acting performance

Me, abusing telemarketers who call the house after 8PM.

> *Song of the year

> *Record (CD) of the year

Mercury Rev - All Is Dream

> *Best moment in sports

The World Series.

> *Man/Woman of the year

My mother.

> *Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any
other
> year)

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon

> *biggest news event of the year

9/11

> *a personal highlight

Keeping it together.

> *a personal lowlight

Failing to participate in the binge sex the media told me had sprung up in
the wake of 9/11.

> *the year's biggest annoyance

Barbra Streisand. Just because.

Jeff Troutman

Dixon Hayes

Nov 17, 2001, 5:43:12 PM11/17/01
>*Best movie
so far...Bridget Jones' Diary

>*Worst movie
Tombraider

>*Best TV show
Everybody Loves Raymond...close second, Friends (again)

>*Worst TV show
Inside Schwartz...that'll teach me to be too lazy to change the channel

>*Best new TV show
new show? 24 has me hooked, despite the improbable plot twists

>*Best acting performance
n/a

>*Song of the year
n/a (mostly listen to oldies)

>*Record (CD) of the year
>*Best moment in sports

Dale Earnhardt Jr winning the EA Sports 500 in Talladega, one year after his
late father won on the same track

>*Man/Woman of the year
New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani

>*Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any other
>year)

*About a Boy

>*biggest news event of the year

what else? September 11th

>*a personal highlight
my kids growing up

>*a personal lowlight
my ex-girlfriend getting married to her sister's ex boyfriend, who she
apparently
met while we were on a date

>*the year's biggest annoyance

My overtime being cut at work, tied with my lack of a productive social life...

I am one of those picky people who likes to wait until the very end of the year
for end of year surveys, in case something really cool (like an Oscar caliber
movie) comes out in December...so I will probably fill this out again LOL...

Dixon
===========
"I'm not standing in the stag line with Old Man Perkins and a bunch of
slumped-over teenaged boys!"
--Barney Fife

Classic Hollywood Squares: http://www.classicsquares.com

WiNK

Nov 17, 2001, 7:54:43 PM11/17/01
Blue Cross is EVIL, Liz......pure Evil!!!!! ;-) (I am hating their GUTS
right now.)

Nadine

LizzieZ <liz...@aol.comedy> wrote in message

> Wow, this was hard! I'm not used to having to think this much in this
group.

Crazy Fingers

Nov 17, 2001, 10:03:17 PM11/17/01
They're about the people who are left behind after the Rapture -- when Jesus
takes all of his believers to heaven, those who aren't true Christians will
be left behind. Hence, the title. The series is about what happens after
that -- the rise of the Antichrist, etc. -- the tribulation period before
the final battle between good and evil. I can't put them down.

Yes, one of the authors is a minister and the other is a Christian fiction
author. These views are reflected in the books, and because they outline
what will happen during the Apocalypse, it could be considered offensive to
religions that don't accept Jesus as the Messiah. It says there is no other
way, just like the bible says. That is the basis for the storyline.

I read them at the recommendation of a Christian friend. I don't consider
myself to be particularly religious, but these books are gripping no matter
what your beliefs. And for me, they've really made me think about things.

--
United We Stand
Dustin
<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

Sandy

Nov 17, 2001, 10:05:49 PM11/17/01
> *Best acting performance
>
>Me, abusing telemarketers who call the house after 8PM.

Oh, please give us some details on this one Jeff....we can all use some
suggestions :)

>*Man/Woman of the year
>
>My mother.

:( Hope your coping ok.

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

Richard Edwards

Nov 17, 2001, 11:51:32 PM11/17/01
On 16 Nov 2001 09:37:35 -0600, <antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Now that 2001 is in its final few weeks, how about a survey of the year's
>highlights (and lowlights). What would you say are your picks for the following
>categories?:
>
>*Best movie

Haven't been to the movies this year, yet. Going to see 'Harry
Potter' on Sun 11/17. Eagerly anticipating 'Lord of the Rings'.
>*Worst movie
No answer
>*Best TV show
Just about anything on Discovery, Learning, History and Travel
channels.
>*Worst TV show
Just about anything on ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, UPN,and WB.
>*Best new TV show
'Enterprise'
>*Best acting performance
No answer
>*Song of the year
I don't listen to much of today's music.

>*Record (CD) of the year

See 'song of the year'
>*Best moment in sports
Colorado Avalanche winning the Stanley Cup. GO AVS!!!
>*Man/Woman of the year
President Bush

>*Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any other
>year)

All 4 Harry Potter books

>*biggest news event of the year

9/11/01
>*a personal highlight
Upgrading my computer with a l33t LCD monitor.
>*a personal lowlight
Turning 39. One year closer to the Big Four-Oh

>*the year's biggest annoyance

The anthrax scare started to bug me after awhile.

Stevie Nice

Nov 18, 2001, 12:25:38 PM11/18/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Now that 2001 is in its final few weeks, how about a survey of the year's
>highlights (and lowlights). What would you say are your picks for the following
>categories?:
>
>*Best movie
>*Worst movie

13 Ghosts

>*Best TV show

Still "The Simpsons", though it is verrry slowly going downhill.

>*Worst TV show

The ads for "Inside Schwartz" say it all

>*Best new TV show

Ummm, Jill Hennessy's show, too bad its opposite MNF

>*Best acting performance
>*Song of the year

Well my most played song of the year is going to be "After Party" by Koffee
Brown. Great 80s sounding R&B song that got ignored by top 40 radio.

>*Record (CD) of the year

Though it came ot at the end of last year, it made its impact this year,
so I'll nominate Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

>*Best moment in sports

Should have been Oakland Raiders smacking the Giants around in the SB 41-3,
but I know, shoulda, coulda, woulda, so I'll say for pure drama, and it kills
me to say this, but the Yankees back to back series comeback victories were
pretty crunked.

>*Man/Woman of the year

I'll go with Rudy Giuliani

>*Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any other
>year)

Only read mags; Maxim, Billboard, New York, Radio & Records

>*biggest news event of the year

9/11

>*a personal highlight

well, I guess I can say this now, since I suppose it's a matter of public
record, winning a lawsuit against the Republic of Iran on my late father's
behalf.

>*a personal lowlight

getting laid off in March from a job I was at for 15 years, but it's a moot
point now. At least I'm keeping in touch with my co-workers which is important
to me. They are great people.

>*the year's biggest annoyance

some loner, probably, scaring everybody with Anthrax.

np Ballin Out Of Control by Jermaine Dupri and Nate Dogg

> -------------------
>none of our pockets are filled with gold
>nobody's caught the bouquet
>there are no dead presidents we can fold
>nothing is going our way
>
>--Tom Waits (More Than Rain, 1987)

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! ==-----

Stevie Nice

Nov 18, 2001, 12:31:55 PM11/18/01

Well with me they pronounce my name Stephan instead of Steven (tho it's spelled
Stephen) so I know it's somebody calling me who doesn't know who I am, so
usually a few harsh words does it.

np Who We Be by DMX

LizzieZ

Nov 18, 2001, 12:43:53 PM11/18/01
>Well with me they pronounce my name Stephan instead of Steven (tho it's
>spelled
>Stephen) so I know it's somebody calling me who doesn't know who I am, so
>usually a few harsh words does it.

That's the main reason I have myself listed as "Eliz" in the phone book (short
for Elizabeth). When someone is tripping over themselves trying to figure out
how to ask for eh-LEEZ or something vaguely foreign-sounding I know it's no one
who has a clue who they're calling and I can get off the phone.

Liz

Yeff

Nov 18, 2001, 1:16:33 PM11/18/01
In article <3bf7...@news.newsgroups.com>,
Stevie Nice<stevienice哦webtv.next> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> Still "The Simpsons", though it is verrry slowly going downhill.

This last season premier? Worst - Episode - Ever.

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

postrib

Nov 18, 2001, 3:14:43 PM11/18/01
"Crazy Fingers" <pete...@smig.net> wrote in message news:<VxFJ7.290$Fm2....@news7.onvoy.net>...

> They're about the people who are left behind after the Rapture -- when Jesus
> takes all of his believers to heaven...

Many Christians believe they will be caught up all the way into heaven
at Christ's return, and that this will be before the great
tribulation, but the Bible doesn't teach either of these things. It
says that Christians will be caught up into the clouds to meet Christ
as he descends at the 2nd coming (1 Thessalonians 4:15-17), and that
this will happen "after the tribulation" (Matthew 24:29-31).

http://www.geocities.com/postrib

Crazy Fingers

Nov 18, 2001, 3:57:40 PM11/18/01
I don't know much about it, really. I was only explaining what the book
teaches. Thank you for the insight, however.

--
United We Stand
Dustin

"postrib" <pos...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Dawna

Nov 18, 2001, 4:15:55 PM11/18/01
jun...@aol.combos (MartiDave) wrote in message news:<20011116115312...@nso-dh.aol.com>...

You betcha, Dave! Almost as great as the DBacks!! :)

> >*Man/Woman of the year
> If it is meant only to be "Good person" of the year than I nominate New Yorkers
> in general. If it is meant to signify the person who has had the most impact
> on the world than I have to say Osama Bin Laden. This is not meant to be
> congratulatory to him, it is simply acknowledging the fact that his actions
> have made the greatest impact on the world. His impact was negative, but it
> was huge none the less. So in conclusion my heroes of the year are New
> Yorkers. My villain is Osama Bin Laden.

Well said.

> >*Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any other
> >year)
> Killer Angels
> >*biggest news event of the year
> 9/11/01
> >*a personal highlight
> Seeing my daughter's face when we stepped out of the train station in NYC. She
> was a picture of awe and wonder. As a side note this was also that day that I
> had lunch with Tom.
> >*a personal lowlight
> My Father's death
> >*the year's biggest annoyance
> At the risk of sounding incredibly shallow the biggest annoyance for me has
> been the impact that Anthrax has had on my mail. I am still not getting my
> mail with any regularity
> Dave

I had a lot of fun reading this one, Dave.
~~Dawna

Naz Reyes

Nov 18, 2001, 5:09:50 PM11/18/01

antipos...@127.0.0.1 wrote:

> Now that 2001 is in its final few weeks, how about a survey of the year's
> highlights (and lowlights). What would you say are your picks for the following
> categories?:
>
> *Best movie

SHREK :-)

> *Worst movie

Scary Movie 2

> *Best TV show

Just for Rach...Will and Grace, of course!

> *Worst TV show

LOTS of 'em!

> *Best new TV show
> *Best acting performance

Just saw this movie on cable this year, though it's a 2000 movie, I
think, but the actor ALEX DIMITRIADES gets my vote. The movie is "Head
On" :-)

> *Song of the year

"Crawling" by Linkin Park. Very cathartic for me, and is as good as sex
:-) For more "calm moments", "Only Time" by Enya.

> *Record (CD) of the year

Hmmm...lots of 'em for me...Enya's "Day Without Rain", Alicia Keys
"Songs in A Minor", Linkin Park's "Hybrid Theory", Limp Bizkit's
"Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog-Flavored Water" (yes, it's still
kickin' this year), Craig David's "Born To Do It", Missy Elliott's "So
Addictive".

> *Best moment in sports

Watching the Skins and the Cowboys make an ass of themselves? :)

> *Man/Woman of the year

My mom for all the patience she has with me...

> *Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any other
> year)

The bible.

> *biggest news event of the year

9/11, what else?

> *a personal highlight

being able to FORGIVE the most unforgiveable people...

> *a personal lowlight

not seeing my parents for almost 2 months...

> *the year's biggest annoyance

9/11 and everything related to it.

-Naz

Naz Reyes

Nov 18, 2001, 5:11:30 PM11/18/01

rach wrote:

> Great thread Mr T...
>
> --
>
> rach

>>*a personal highlight...DOMINICAN REPUBLIC ON MY OWN
>>*a personal lowlight...TURNING 30
>>*the year's biggest annoyance...TURNING 30

What's wrong with "turning 30", Rach?

-Naz

Tiny Dancer

Nov 18, 2001, 5:45:48 PM11/18/01
Far too much thinking involved here, Tom, but thanks anyway :-)

*Best movie

I haven't seen many so I'll go with "Shrek".

*Worst movie

See above, "Glitter" gets an honorable mention.

*Best TV show

CBC's "Da Vinci's Inquest" continues to be one of the few I really
look forward to each week. You poor Yanks don't know what you're
missing!

*Worst TV show

I couldn't stand "Philly", "Inside Schwartz", or "UC:Undercover" from
the new batch.

*Best new TV show

I totally agree with Dave, "Scrubs" is the funniest sitcom I've seen in eons!

*Best acting performance

My kid (Riel) when he doesn't want to go to school and fakes being sick.
Really hard to keep a straight face with his pathetic little coughs! :-) Also,
I happen to think William Peterson (Grissom) on "CSI" is very underrated
and Eddie Murphy did a fab job as the donkey in "Shrek". Told you I don't
get out much!

*Song of the year

"I Want Love", Elton John, d'uh! ;-) I also liked Alicia Keys' "Fallin'", Nelly
Furtado's "Turn Off The Light", Train's "Drops Of Jupiter (Tell Me)", and
Blu Cantrell's "Hit 'Em Up Style (Oops!)".

*Record (CD) of the year

Elton's "Songs From The West Coast", double d'uh! I'll also give props
to Alicia Keys' "Songs In A Minor", and Nelly Furtado's "Whoa, Nelly!".

*Best moment in sports

Definitely the World Series.

*Man/Woman of the year

I like Dave's take on Bin Laden, agree that Rudy Guiliano deserves
credit on the other side of the coin and NYC itself should win *something*
for coming through and showing the rest of the world what it's made of.

*Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any other year)

Now we get to see how truly out of the loop I am, "Flowers For Algernon" :-)
I just don't read enough new stuff, sorry!

*biggest news event of the year

No question here, the events of 9/11 which unfolded before my disbelieving
eyes live on the boob tube.

*a personal highlight

Getting my hair cut! :-) Well, it's been down to my butt for years now and
is now short and sassy and looking for trouble! It's been a real boost to
have so many folks compliment the cut and tell me it took years off, too.
Although it does worry me to wonder just how old and decrepit I looked
beforehand?!

I also need to put in a plug for Riel's father, Andre, even though it's not a
personal highlight for me. For the first time in his life, he's running his own
business (completely legal and above board which, if you knew the man,
is *really* saying something!), is renting his own home (with his common
law wife and son) and even has a phone in his own name. You have NO
idea how huge this is! I'm very happy for him.

*a personal lowlight

When I was ready to throw in the towel with Riel and started looking into
group homes etc. We do still have bad days but, generally speaking,
things have gotten a *lot* better between us.

*the year's biggest annoyance

I have to echo Dustin here. Landlords that don't do a damn thing around
here until the government okays a big rent increase for next year and they
have to justify it :-P

Cheers,

TD

The people must have something good to read on a Sunday
from The Clash's "The Leader"

for a good time call
http://the70s.cjb.net

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_Dancer/index.html

Yeff

Nov 18, 2001, 6:12:40 PM11/18/01
In article <3bf82e4e...@news.look.ca>,
Tiny Dancer<ti...@idirect.com> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> *a personal highlight
>
> Getting my hair cut! :-) Well, it's been down to my butt for years now

*swoon*

> and is now short and sassy and looking for trouble!

Trouble? How much you got?

Naz Reyes

Nov 18, 2001, 6:28:01 PM11/18/01

Stevie Nice wrote:

>>*Song of the year
>>

> Well my most played song of the year is going to be "After Party" by Koffee
> Brown. Great 80s sounding R&B song that got ignored by top 40 radio.

Stevie, I downloaded that song. Not bad...it sounds like a type of song
that is great to listen to after a very WILD party - after the booze,
sex, and drugs you can handle (I'm not speaking from experience, of
course...LOL!) then a CALM after the storm type thing :-)

I think I know why it didn't make it on radio...it's an instrumental,
plus it sounds very soothing :-)

-Naz

Kelly

Nov 18, 2001, 6:46:13 PM11/18/01

Tiny Dancer wrote

> *a personal highlight
>
> Getting my hair cut! :-) Well, it's been down to my butt for years now
and
> is now short and sassy and looking for trouble! It's been a real boost to
> have so many folks compliment the cut and tell me it took years off, too.
> Although it does worry me to wonder just how old and decrepit I looked
> beforehand?!

That was a highlight?

I went in to get my waist length hair trimmed back in June. I left with it
shoulder length. I am still suffering the trama. I know it needed to be
trimmed, but NOT chopped off.

Kelly

Dawna

Nov 18, 2001, 9:23:42 PM11/18/01
<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<3bf5...@spamkiller.newsgroups.com>...

> Now that 2001 is in its final few weeks, how about a survey of the year's
> highlights (and lowlights). What would you say are your picks for the following
> categories?:
>
> *Best movie

Shrek

> *Worst movie

Save the Last Dance for Me (or something like that, it was ok, was
dragged to see it.)

> *Best TV show
na
> *Worst TV show
na
> *Best new TV show
na
> *Best acting performance

Not this year, and I don't remember his name, but the boy in Paying it
Forward.

> *Song of the year

> *Record (CD) of the year

> *Best moment in sports
> *Man/Woman of the year

> *Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any other
> year)

Reread Harold Robbins Now and Then. Other than that, the ancients and
classics, as usual. Sappho, the Ninth Muse by Nancy Freidman was a
goody!

> *biggest news event of the year

911
> *a personal highlight

One goes without saying, but the other is getting to NYC for the first
time in my life--can't wait!!

> *a personal lowlight

Hmmmm . . . ???? Thankfully, nothing is coming to mind.

> *the year's biggest annoyance

being fired then hired back then fired then hired back. At least I
have a job till Nov 30. :)

Let's redo this thread the last week of December!

~~Dawna

Dixon Hayes

Nov 18, 2001, 9:42:30 PM11/18/01
Stevie wrote:

>Still "The Simpsons", though it is verrry slowly going downhill.

Naaaaah. It's a very slow ride down a very tall mountain.

Kelly

Nov 18, 2001, 11:55:56 PM11/18/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> Now that 2001 is in its final few weeks, how about a survey of the year's
> highlights (and lowlights). What would you say are your picks for the
following
> categories?:

*Best movie - Shrek - I took my three nephews to see it. I couldn't ask for
better movie dates.

*Worst movie - I don't know. Probably something I saw on HBO

*Best TV show - Six Feet Under

*Worst TV show - I don't watch enough TV

*Best new TV show - Six Feet Under

*Best acting performance - no clue

*Song of the year - I haven't really been keeping up to date. I must be
getting old.

*Record (CD) of the year - Same as above

*Best moment in sports - Not really a sports fan, but my Islanders are
finally having a good year!

*Man/Woman of the year - Rudy Guilianni

*Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any other

year) - I have two of them. They are both rereads.
Creepy Susie (and 13 other tragic tales for troubled children) - I
got it as a gift from my friend Kiersten Christmas of '99.
It just suits me. (Rachel remind me to show it to you when you
get here.) It is twisted

My old diaries - Was I really that strange as a child?

*biggest news event of the year - as if I need to say that it was 11
September 2001

*a personal highlight - a few here
- my grandmother dancing at my cousin's wedding. She wasn't suppose
to make it that long

- I agree with Tom, The Clean show. It was a great show, but the
highlight was because it was my first time of "normality" after
11 Sept.

- moving into this apartment on 30 June. It was the first time in a
year and a half that I felt like I had a home of my own.

- getting to know the people here. This has been a great year of
bonding for us.

*a personal lowlight - not so much losing my job (I was on the verge of
walking out) but not being able to find a new one. I am not use to that in
my industry. Supply of jobs has always exceeded demand in the past

*the year's biggest annoyance

- not knowing where I will be living for more than a month at another.
- the economy

Stevie Nice

Nov 19, 2001, 12:20:26 AM11/19/01

Instrumental? It's got a guy/girl type of thing going where they trade off
lines. And then they sing the chorus together. Just a great little roller
skating jam!

And it is a pleasure watching the Cowboys/Redskins decline although I have
to give the Foreskins major props for beating the Donkeys 17-10 this afternoon.

Stevie Nice

Nov 19, 2001, 12:24:41 AM11/19/01

Yep Jeff, I can't disagree with you there. Tonite's wasn't much better.

Brent Popham

Nov 19, 2001, 12:07:26 PM11/19/01
<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<3bf5...@spamkiller.newsgroups.com>...
> Now that 2001 is in its final few weeks, how about a survey of the year's
> highlights (and lowlights). What would you say are your picks for the following
> categories?:
>
> *Best movie
I've only seen 'Shrek' this year but I am planning on taking in
'Monsters,Inc.' during the Thanksgiving break.
> *Worst movie
> *Best TV show
I work nights so I don't watch that much TV.
> *Worst TV show

> *Best new TV show
> *Best acting performance
> *Song of the year

> *Record (CD) of the year
I don't listen to that much new music,most of the CDs I bought this
year were oldies and country.
> *Best moment in sports
A tie between Albert Pujols having a great rookie season for my
beloved Cardinals and the Iowa Hawkeyes winning the Big Ten basketball
tournament.
> *Man/Woman of the year
NYC mayor Guiliani (sp?)

> *Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any other
> year)
> *biggest news event of the year
9/11,definitely.
> *a personal highlight
Trading in my 1994 GMC Sonoma pickup for a 2002 Sonoma extended cab.
> *a personal lowlight
Not that earth shattering but I was having my hair cut at my niece's
salon some time ago and while having my eyebrows trimmed she said
'You've got a gray one there'.As A.J. Benza might say 'Turning
40.Ain't it a bitch?' :-)

> *the year's biggest annoyance
It's a toss-up between being roused out of bed at 8 in the morning by
MCI trying to get me to switch and Miss Cleo being on what seems like
every other frickin' commercial break on CMT.

Sandy

Nov 19, 2001, 12:47:12 PM11/19/01
>Now that 2001 is in its final few weeks, how about a survey of the year's
>> highlights (and lowlights). What would you say are your picks for the
>following
>> categories?:
>>
>*Best movie - Shrek! Although Monsters Inc is running a close second :)

>*Worst movie - I don't know???

>*Best TV show - That 70s Show. It's the only one I watch on a regular
basis...except the Little Rascals!

>*Worst TV show - I don't really know
>
>*Best new TV show - ????

>*Best acting performance - ?????
>
>*Song of the year - No idea
>
>*Record (CD) of the year - ditto
>
>*Best moment in sports - Ray Bourque hoisting The Stanley Cup!!!
>
>*Man/Woman of the year - I'll go with George Bush

>*Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any other
>year) -

Best?? Hmm....Thats hard. I have a ton that I've read but I don't know that
any are my favorites. I'll just pick Anne Frank

>*biggest news event of the year - 9/11
>
>*a personal highlight - Getting to go to NYC and meet 4 of the most wonderful
people :)

>*a personal lowlight - Losing my cat Mickey.

>*the year's biggest annoyance

Being tired all the freakin' time!!!!!

Sandy

Nov 19, 2001, 12:52:16 PM11/19/01
> with me they pronounce my name Stephan instead of Steven (tho it's spelled
>Stephen) so I know it's somebody calling me who doesn't know who I am, so
>usually a few harsh words does it.

Yes?...like what, Stevie???? ;)

Nanc

Nov 19, 2001, 2:22:17 PM11/19/01

>> *Best movie
Shrek

>>> *Worst movie
Believe or not I saw the same Jack Nicholson movie as MartiDave and I don't
recall the name either---saw it in the video store and thought with Jack in
it, it must be good. Wrong!!

>> *Best TV show
I still love Friends

>> *Worst TV show
Drew Carey- I used to like it but it's changed

>> *Best new TV show
Again I'll agree with Dave, Scrubs reminds me of Ally McBeal but is funny in
its own way.

>> *Best acting performance
???

>> *Song of the year
I Hope You Dance- Leanne Womac (although it was overplayed)

>> *Record (CD) of the year

???

>> *Man/Woman of the year
I would have to say my baby brother. He has been there for all of us in the
family- esp. my mother
Second vote goes to our own D. Spiegel for helping me with a personal
struggle I was having -thanks Dave

>> *Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any
other
>> year)

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

>> *biggest news event of the year

9/11,definitely

>> *a personal highlight
Going to NY in June and meeting our special NY/NJ friends

>> *a personal lowlight
Thinking I was pregnant and finding out I wasn't

>>> *the year's biggest annoyance

????

Kelly

Nov 19, 2001, 2:45:08 PM11/19/01

Nanc wrote

> >> *Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any
> other
> >> year)
> Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

I loved that book! Great choice Nanc!

Kelly

Nanc

Nov 19, 2001, 4:25:51 PM11/19/01
Yeah Kel. Def more enjoyable for women. Interesting characters doncha think?
Nanc

Kelly wrote in message
<8jdK7.2535$UP6.28...@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>...

DL

Nov 19, 2001, 4:47:59 PM11/19/01
OK guys, here goes . . .

>>> *Best movie

I saw few movies this year but the one about Hank Greenberg (the title
escapes me at the moment) really struck me as outstanding.

Didn't see any really bad ones this year but I have been oh so busy
becoming a doctor.

>>> *Best TV show

King of the Hill. I am totally hooked.

>>> *Worst TV show

Mike Bullard. I saw this a few times when I was still living up north
and found him to be someone I couldn't stand. Also that pig Vickie
Gabareau (sp?) was quite annoying. How can a country that produces
Sue Johannson's show make this kind of crap.

>>> *Best new TV show

If its last season I really liked Boston Public. I have used some
clips from it with my students.

>>> *Best acting performance

I really liked Jet Li in "The One."

>>> *Song of the year

No nominees this year. I am listening to talk radio or my old CDs.

>>> *Record (CD) of the year

No nominees this year. I am listening to talk radio or my old CDs.

>>> *Man/Woman of the year

George W. Bush. A leader and someone we can trust.

>>> *Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any
>>>other year)

"Three Seductive Ideas" by Jerome Kagen. Interesting take on some
developmental Psych issues by one of the biggies.

>>> *biggest news event of the year

September 11.

>>> *a personal highlight

Moving back home and getting to be with my family.

>>> *a personal lowlight

Not getting a job I was a finalist for. THat was a crushing blow for
a while.

Ex-wife. Perennial favourite in this category. Father-in-law is the
runner-up.

- -

DL

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

Phaedra Alwell

Nov 19, 2001, 6:29:35 PM11/19/01

*Best movie
Legally Blonde
*Worst movie
haven't seen one yet
*Best TV show
Felicity, Friends
*Worst TV show
Inside Schwartz
*Best new TV show
Scrubs
*Best acting performance
Do Billy Crystal and John Goodman's performances in Monsters Inc count?
*Song of the year
Only Time
*Record (CD) of the year
Enya A Day Without Rain
*Best moment in sports
not really much of a sports watcher up until basketball season,
therefore i would have to say Michael Jordan coming back.
*Man/Woman of the year
President George W. Bush
*Favorite book read this year (may have been published in this or any
other year)
The Lemony Snicket series.
*biggest news event of the year
9/11/01
*a personal highlight
Picking a grade to teach.
*a personal lowlight
The death of my favorite uncle.

*the year's biggest annoyance
The Anthrax scares everywhere .

Phaedra

<bgsound src="http://wtv-zone.com/TheKid/music/turnthepage.mid"
autostart="true" loop="10">
http://community.webtv.net/PhaedraA/WelcometoPhaedras

MartiDave

Nov 20, 2001, 8:05:27 AM11/20/01
In article <JZcK7.4579$eh7.3...@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>, "Nanc"
<bill...@mediaone.net> writes:

>Believe or not I saw the same Jack Nicholson movie as MartiDave and I don't
>recall the name either---saw it in the video store and thought with Jack in
>it, it must be good. Wrong!!

The Pledge, that was the name. I just did not like it at all. At least I
didn't pay for it though.

Dave

MartiDave

Nov 20, 2001, 8:05:27 AM11/20/01
<bill...@mediaone.net> writes:

>Second vote goes to our own D. Spiegel for helping me with a personal
>struggle I was having -thanks Dave

Wow, I am flattered. It has been another tough run for me this week (a funeral
day after Thanksgiving) and your mentioning me in such a positive light just
makes my day. Thanks

Dave Spiegel

The Wanderer

Nov 20, 2001, 1:38:28 PM11/20/01
"Dawna" <artangelp...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> You betcha, Dave! Almost as great as the DBacks!! :)

Pardon me while I spit! Ptew!

--

Buddy

from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo and t'roo. An' even den
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Nov 20, 2001, 1:43:09 PM11/20/01
Speaking of which: Does ANYBODY have Billy's phone number? I'd like to give
him a call to see if everything's alright. And, I think, several of us
should do that. Whatcha think?!

--

> >Well with me they pronounce my name Stephan instead of Steven (tho it's

> >spelled
> >Stephen) so I know it's somebody calling me who doesn't know who I am, so
> >usually a few harsh words does it.
>

> That's the main reason I have myself listed as "Eliz" in the phone book
(short
> for Elizabeth). When someone is tripping over themselves trying to figure
out
> how to ask for eh-LEEZ or something vaguely foreign-sounding I know it's
no one
> who has a clue who they're calling and I can get off the phone.
>
> Liz

The Wanderer

Nov 20, 2001, 1:55:37 PM11/20/01

"Phaedra Alwell" <Phae...@webtv.net> wrote in

> *Man/Woman of the year
> President George W. Bush

That's your choice. But him and his people in Congress are withholding half
of the money that they promised to N.Y. for the rebuilding. So as our
economy goes down the tubes, and the unemployment figures go up
(particularly in N.Y.) our Republican Mayor-elect, and our Republican
Governor are still trying to get our Republican President to stand by his
promise and be a man of his word. He did say that it would be forthcoming
immediately (after pushing it through Congress). Only he aint budging on
this so far. So were his first pronouncements public relations and just
politics as usual? We'll see. Just hope that your town dont get bombed and
then you have to find out what his word is worth.
Sorry to inject a little reality into our fantasy and nostalgia
based news group, but it's been sitting in a lot of New Yorkers gut's lately
simmering.

The Wanderer

Nov 20, 2001, 2:02:00 PM11/20/01
"Kelly" <not_my_ema...@xxx.com> wrote in

I know it needed to be
> trimmed, but NOT chopped off.

So said the castrated man.

The Wanderer

Nanc

Nov 20, 2001, 3:00:05 PM11/20/01
With my luck, Buddy , my server lost your post. I honestly don't remember
that post. OF COURSE I would have listened dear :-)
Nanc
PS Do you know Billy's last name? It's been a few weeks now hasn't it?

The Wanderer wrote in message
<3SxK7.121836$n5.15...@typhoon.nyc.rr.com>...

The Wanderer

LizzieZ

Nov 20, 2001, 4:21:40 PM11/20/01
>I know it needed to be
>> trimmed, but NOT chopped off.
>
>So said the castrated man.

...at his circumcision.

Liz

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Tiny Dancer

Nov 22, 2001, 8:26:00 AM11/22/01
And so the word went out from Naz Reyes <n...@american.edu>:

>TD, you lied to me. You *are* listening to new music! I mean, both
>Alicia Keys and Nelly Furtado are about 20 years of age! :-)

I came out of the new music closet when we were talking about Blu
Cantrell before, Naz, remember? :-) I don't listen to the radio as much
as I used to but I do catch some videos on Much Music. And you just
couldn't get away from the Train tune no matter how much you tried!
But that's a good thing 'cause it's a rockin' tune. I may be old, hun, but
I ain't dead yet!

Cheers,

TD

You'll swear you've heard it before
As it slowly rambles on and on
No need in bringing 'em back
'Cause they've never really gone
from Paul Williams' "An Old Fashioned Love Song"

For a good time call
http://the70s.cjb.net

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_Dancer/index.html

Tiny Dancer

Nov 22, 2001, 8:39:04 AM11/22/01
And so the word went out from "The Wanderer" <rosieon...@nyc.rr.com>:

>Or is it Wajdak?

I just double checked with Google and it is indeed Billy Wajdak. Now,
is he in Houston, Texas, or does he live nearby? Can't imagine there
are too many Wajdaks in the area! Hang on .... okay, I just checked
with Bell and there are no B. or W. Wajdaks in the Houston area and
there's only one Wajdak in Houston but he's a Tom :-( I took down
that number anyway in case we need it. They couldn't check all of
Texas for me so can anyone narrow it down for us? I'd like to let him
know he's missed if we can.

Cheers,

TD

Operator, oh could you help me place this call
You see the number on the matchbook is old and faded
from Jim Croce's "Operator (That's Not The Way It Feels)"

Nanc

Nov 22, 2001, 9:49:20 AM11/22/01
Rhonda I called 411 and they found a W Wajdak in Houston but the number is
unlisted. Also, Buddy wrote me after that he is, in fact, unlisted. So I
guess we write snail-mail or just wait.
Nanc

Naz Reyes

Nov 23, 2001, 5:38:01 PM11/23/01

Tiny Dancer wrote:

> And so the word went out from Naz Reyes <n...@american.edu>:
>

>>TD, you lied to me. You *are* listening to new music! I mean, both
>>Alicia Keys and Nelly Furtado are about 20 years of age! :-)
>>

> I came out of the new music closet when we were talking about Blu
> Cantrell before, Naz, remember? :-) I don't listen to the radio as much
> as I used to but I do catch some videos on Much Music. And you just
> couldn't get away from the Train tune no matter how much you tried!
> But that's a good thing 'cause it's a rockin' tune. I may be old, hun, but
> I ain't dead yet!
>
> Cheers,
>
> TD

TD, I know what you mean by that Train song (Drops of Jupiter). I
absolutely HATED that song when I first heard it! :-) After hearing it
over and over again, I finally gave up and ended up liking it.

I guess it's all about brainwashing :-)

-Naz

Tiny Dancer

Nov 24, 2001, 10:34:09 PM11/24/01
And so the word went out from Naz Reyes <n...@american.edu>:

>TD, I know what you mean by that Train song (Drops of Jupiter). I

>absolutely HATED that song when I first heard it! :-) After hearing it
>over and over again, I finally gave up and ended up liking it.
>
>I guess it's all about brainwashing :-)

Naz, Train's lead singer can brainwash me any day of the week, yow! :-)
I caught them on Rosie this week (no clue if it was a rerun or not as I don't
watch her regularly anymore) and was reminded of how delicious he is.
"Drops Of Jupiter (Tell Me)" is not the best song ever written or anything
but it has that precious hook every memorable song needs. Glad I saw
them on Rosie 'cause they played some other stuff I hadn't heard and
the band doth indeed rock. Couldn't tell you what the other band members
looked like though, I was riveted to the main dude, yummy!

Cheers,

TD

Don’t you feel it growin’ day by day
People gettin’ ready for the news
Some are happy, some are sad
Oh, we got to let the music play
from The Doobie Brothers' "Listen To The Music"