Euell Gibbons

Trit...@webtv.net

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
I'm having a real mental block here. What was it that he used to
advertise for back in about 1973 or so? It was some kind of healthy
food, I know, cuz he was a real health nut. But didnt he tip over from
a heart attack about 2 years after he got so famous??

Chris Siciliano

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
Post Grape Nuts

<Trit...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Doug

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
Euell Gibbons was the spokesman for Post Grape Nuts cereal.

I've never eaten it,is it any good?

-Doug

Trit...@webtv.net wrote in message
<14321-3A...@storefull-295.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

NJROB65

Nov 21, 2000, 12:11:47 AM11/21/00
<< Euell Gibbons was the spokesman for Post Grape Nuts cereal.

I've never eaten it,is it any good?

-Doug>>

No. it's pretty tasteless.

#1 Tiger Fan

Nov 21, 2000, 1:38:07 AM11/21/00
On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:22:26 -0500, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
induhvidual wrote:

>Euell Gibbons was the spokesman for Post Grape Nuts cereal.
>
>I've never eaten it,is it any good?
>
>-Doug

Not bad but they are different in Canada. I usually get a box about
once each quarter year. They are different in Canada, as are Sugar
Pops, and are not as good here so I import mine.

"Ever eat a pine tree? Many parts are edible!" His famous quote.

I remember a lot of Euell Gibbons jokes in high school, usually
revolving arounf the subject of his grape nuts.

#1 Tiger Fan
**************

"belive me I am nothing to bragg about so dont waste all your time.®"
"it seems like every boddy trys to be politicly incorect these days®"
- grapetastebasted

"Jefferies sucks!"
- Public Domain

" It is just as pertinent as Fat Albert or other aspects of our
culture.®"
-None

Winner of the "Name the Little Fool" contest!!!®
- OMF

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

Bill McKenzie

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
I remember the jokes about this "perfect" specimen of a human being
dropped dead. Also lots of jokes about eating tree bark.
Nancy

The Wanderer

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
The whole selling point was the naturalness of the product. So they got a
guy who wrote a book about natural or organic foods (I'm pretty sure). He
advertised Grape Nuts as a 100% Natural Food. And a coupla months later he
dropped dead of "Natural Causes" (GOD I'm bad!!!).

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

"The feeling is strong, it overpowers my thoughts
I am not aware of the reality that my blood knows only too well
My mind is hostile for the wrong reasons
I am only 'son' and 'man', and the need to be 'brother' is tremendous
"Chris Siciliano" <OCEA...@PRODIGY.NET> wrote in message

> Post Grape Nuts

Dixon Hayes

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
#1 Tiger Fan wrote:

>"Ever eat a pine tree? Many parts are edible!" His famous quote.
>
>I remember a lot of Euell Gibbons jokes in high school, usually
>revolving arounf the subject of his grape nuts.

Euell's dietary habits got him a lot of jokes at his expense. Johnny Carson
had a Euell Gibbons joke about every other night or so. There's a classic
Carol Burnett sketch in which he's played by John Byner. During the sketch he
takes bites of a tree, a limb, the picnic table where the cereal is sitting,
and bites the arm of one of the white-coated men who come to take him
away...("You know, there are quite a few nutrients to be found in the human
arm...")

Dixon
=============
"I ain't got time to stand around and discuss trivial trivialities..."
--Barney Fife

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

Sandy

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
At our 8th grade graduation in 1974, one of the songs we sang was Welcome To My
World. During all the practices the line "ask, and you'll be given, the key to
this heart of mine" was sang "ask and Euell Gibbons.." by mostly all the boys.
The teachers were having a fit! lol!! They swore they'd be big trouble if on
graduation day it was sung like that. Well, on the big day, when that part came
up, I waited and snuck a look around at all the wiseguys around me waiting for
the big moment. All I saw was a bunch pale faced boys staring straight ahead
with not a Euell Gibbons in the place. So much for cool! lol!

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

charles hobbs

Nov 22, 2000, 12:17:00 AM11/22/00

NJROB65 wrote:

> << Euell Gibbons was the spokesman for Post Grape Nuts cereal.
>
> I've never eaten it,is it any good?
>
> -Doug>>
>
> No. it's pretty tasteless.

Hard too, if you eat it dry...

I checked out a few of his "eat a tree" books from the library a couple
of years ago...loads of amazing stuff ("popcorn" from a certain type of
water plant, and cattail pollen, and all kinds of wierd food)

marie

Nov 22, 2000, 1:43:40 AM11/22/00
Johnny Carson did a skit about ol' Euell.....I forget the jist except it was
hilarious
Marie
"#1 Tiger Fan" <number1...@my-deja.nospam.com> wrote in message

Tiny Dancer

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
And so the word went out from Trit...@webtv.net:

>I'm having a real mental block here. What was it that he used to
>advertise for back in about 1973 or so? It was some kind of healthy
>food, I know, cuz he was a real health nut. But didnt he tip over from
>a heart attack about 2 years after he got so famous??

As others have posted, he was the spokesman for Post Grape Nuts
cereal and I found a good bio page with a pic here:

http://www.teleport.com/~wildfood/euellgibbons.html

As soon as I saw the title of one of his books I remembered it and
flashed right back, "Stalking the Wild Asparagus". Here's the info on
his death from the page, Freda was his wife:

"His last residence was in Beavertown, Pennsylvania, where he lived
with Freda until his death on December 29, 1975. He was 64. He died
of a heart attack - probably a result of cardiovascular disease. In Euell's
day it was not unusual to smoke cigarettes or to add high amounts of
saturated fat (bacon grease, butter, egg yolks) to his wild foods. These
risk factors combined with his hard life and lack of exercise in his later
years (arthritis pain limited his movement) undoubtedly contributed to
his death."

And here's an appearance I forgot about:

"At one point, to everyone's surprise, he began eating a wooden plaque
awarded him on the Sonny and Cher television show. The plaque was
really a prop made out of hard chocolate or some other edible substance."

Cheers,

TD

TV is chewing gum for the eyes.
Frank Lloyd Wright

Webmistress of the official a.c.u '70s site
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://i.am/tinyd

Tiny Dancer's X-Files Episode Guide
http://www.insanity.com.au/td/