Eating horse meat in the 70s

1 view

antipositivist

Feb 26, 2002, 11:30:07 PM2/26/02

No this is not a post about monster c**ks (for those of you with your minds
in the gutter
;-)

Rather, it's about actually eating the pan-fried flesh of equus caballus.
The other night, I was watching an "All in the Family," and it showed Gloria
preparing horsemeat for the Bunkers' dinner, using one of Frank Lorenzo's
French recipes (apparently, those French will eat just about anything, as
long as they have a good sauce to put on it and a good wine to wash it down
with). Anyway, it was explained that horsemeat was much cheaper than beef
or pork, and what with the mid 70s being such an inflationary stricken era,
saving money would be an obvious concern.

But still, I don't recall any of my neighbors from back then chowing down
on Black Beauty or Trigger. Hamburger Helper, maybe, but horsemeat? Did your
family or neighbors do this? I don't remember this being much of a fad. Apparently,
though, horses were once widely eaten in Europe during pre-Christian times,
and may be making a comeback; perhaps the trend will spread, and you'll be
able to go into McDonalds and order a Big Thoroughbred with Cheese to go
with your french fries.

Tom

"Then one morning she puts on a New York station
you know she don't believe what she heard at all
She started shaking to that fine, fine music
You know her life was saved by rock `n roll."
--Lou Reed

http://home.earthlink.net/~antiposit/

Pete in Calgary, Alberta

Feb 26, 2002, 11:59:49 PM2/26/02
I remember back around 73/4/5 or so, there were rumours that McDonald's was using
horsemeat.

My Mum wouldn't take me there for probably a year of so because of it.

Pete in Calgary, Alberta, GWN

recsec

Feb 27, 2002, 5:31:28 AM2/27/02

"antipositivist" <10005...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> But still, I don't recall any of my neighbors from back then chowing down
> on Black Beauty or Trigger. Hamburger Helper, maybe, but horsemeat? Did
your
> family or neighbors do this?

You're not supposed to eat transportation. And the french are weird if they
do.
Billy

LizzieZ

Feb 27, 2002, 7:30:00 AM2/27/02
>You're not supposed to eat transportation.

Billy, I think you summed this up beautifully.

Quote of the week, anyone? ;-)

Liz

Dixon Hayes

Feb 27, 2002, 8:28:44 AM2/27/02
I remember seeing that "All in the Family" episode when it first aired on CBS,
and I remembered a lot of talk about horsemeat as a possible menu item just
before it aired. For some reason, meat prices were sky-high and I think one
group was even calling for a boycott at the time. I have also thought that
moment in the open credits of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," where Mary picks up
some meat at the supermarket and looks at it rather disgustedly, is a reference
to that situation.

Dixon
===========
"Listen, you'll find compelsion nuts all over!"
--Barney Fife

Classic Hollywood Squares: http://www.classicsquares.com

Kelly

Feb 27, 2002, 1:45:24 PM2/27/02

"antipositivist" wrote

> No this is not a post about monster c**ks (for
those of you with your minds
> in the gutter
> ;-)

LOL

I don't recall anyone ever making horse meat. To
me that is up there with eating dogs. It is the
whole pet thing. I can't eat something I think of
as a pet. Not even duck, I have had ducks as pets.

If Trigger burgers turn up at McDonalds, I'll go
for pizza.

Kelly

The Wanderer

Feb 27, 2002, 2:23:18 PM2/27/02
I do remember watching that episode. And at the time they were selling it
out in Jersey because it was illegal to sell in N.Y. (IIRC). It was at the
time of this show, also. Coincidence, or commentary. I've eaten buffalo
(burgers), snails, clams, oysters, frogs legs, duck, rabbit, deer (venison),
octopus, peyote buttons, etc., etc, Hell, I've eaten ALL kinds of stuff ;)
and probably will again. So, a little seabiscuit might not be the worst
thing that I've ever eaten. Always wanted to eat the worm at the bottom of a
bottle of tequila. But since I quit drinking it is highly unlikely now. I
always heard "A real man eats the worm."

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/thewanderer315/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"You felt fierce pride for your city. You were reminded of Humphrey Bogart's
line to a Nazi officer in 'Casablanca', 'There are a couple of neighborhoods
in New York I wouldn't advise you to invade.' "
Dennis Hamill's (author Pete Hamill's little brother) column in the Daily
News 01/06/02, and my ex-classmate in John Jay H.S.

"The making of an American begins at the point where he himself rejects all
other ties, any other history, and himself adopts the vesture of his adopted
land."
James Baldwin

Crazy Fingers

Feb 27, 2002, 2:30:49 PM2/27/02
I remember hearing about it but I thought it was a joke.

In the 1980s there were rumors of Hardee's restaurants using KANGAROO meat,
because it was supposedly cheaper than beef.

--
Dustin
To reply, clear out the smog.

The Wanderer

Dixon Hayes

Feb 27, 2002, 6:25:16 PM2/27/02
Buddy wrote:

>But since I quit drinking it is highly unlikely now. I
>always heard "A real man eats the worm."

Aren't tequila worms kind of a plastic thing now?

recsec

Feb 27, 2002, 6:52:24 PM2/27/02

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message news:Gmaf8.37313

> Always wanted to eat the worm at the bottom of a
> bottle of tequila. But since I quit drinking it is highly unlikely now. I
> always heard "A real man eats the worm."

The worm is in Mescal (sp?) not Tequila. Have eaten many of them and they
are crunchy. They have a sort of blunt taste to them. Kinda reminds me of
the way that Scotch taste when it hits your mouth. Doesn't tast like chicken
tho.
Billy

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Feb 27, 2002, 8:53:19 PM2/27/02
OK, so what IS the story with the worm. I mean it's not like he needed a
nice place to sleep so he snuck in there. Was he trying to embalm himself?
What IS the point other than bragging rights.? Fill us in Bill.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/thewanderer315/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"You felt fierce pride for your city. You were reminded of Humphrey Bogart's
line to a Nazi officer in 'Casablanca', 'There are a couple of neighborhoods
in New York I wouldn't advise you to invade.' "
Dennis Hamill's (author Pete Hamill's little brother) column in the Daily
News 01/06/02, and my ex-classmate in John Jay H.S.

"The making of an American begins at the point where he himself rejects all
other ties, any other history, and himself adopts the vesture of his adopted
land."
James Baldwin

"recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote in message

recsec

Feb 27, 2002, 9:27:40 PM2/27/02

> OK, so what IS the story with the worm. I mean it's not like he needed a
> nice place to sleep so he snuck in there. Was he trying to embalm himself?
> What IS the point other than bragging rights.? Fill us in Bill.

Well now I had never even thought about how the worm came to be. So I went
surfing for the reason. I found out it was just for a marketing ploy.
Happened back in the early 50's. Here is a short history of it:
http://www.mezcal.com/worms.html
Very interesting to find this out.
Billy

Dixon Hayes

Feb 28, 2002, 1:13:57 AM2/28/02
I always heard the worm was nothing more than a sediment that just looked like
one, and now Tequila makers supply phoney ones just for tradition and marketing
purposes. Maybe I heard wrong, but the person who told me this sure as hell
knew his tequila.

The Wanderer

Feb 28, 2002, 9:36:03 AM2/28/02
OK, this is NOT specifically '70s related (to them that care) but let's make
this drift but topically. What is the strangest thing you've ever eaten? Any
special or exculpatory comments?

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/thewanderer315/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"You felt fierce pride for your city. You were reminded of Humphrey Bogart's
line to a Nazi officer in 'Casablanca', 'There are a couple of neighborhoods
in New York I wouldn't advise you to invade.' "
Dennis Hamill's (author Pete Hamill's little brother) column in the Daily
News 01/06/02, and my ex-classmate in John Jay H.S.

"The making of an American begins at the point where he himself rejects all
other ties, any other history, and himself adopts the vesture of his adopted
land."
James Baldwin

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

antipositivist

Feb 28, 2002, 10:42:46 AM2/28/02

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>OK, this is NOT specifically '70s related (to them that care) but let's
make
>this drift but topically. What is the strangest thing you've ever eaten?
Any
>special or exculpatory comments?

I once ate a bowl of rice crispies and as I was getting done, discovered
that I had consumed some of the maggots that were both inside the cereal
box and inside my bowl, unbeknownst to me. I felt a bit queasy, but mainly
because I couldn't stop thinking about what I had just eaten.

Kelly

Feb 28, 2002, 10:41:18 AM2/28/02

"The Wanderer" wrote

> OK, this is NOT specifically '70s related (to
them that care) but let's make
> this drift but topically. What is the strangest
thing you've ever eaten? Any
> special or exculpatory comments?

Rocky Mountain Oysters, Alligator jerky,
Rattlesnake,

Not too adventurous I guess.

Kelly

D.Spiegel

Feb 28, 2002, 11:24:43 AM2/28/02
> What is the strangest thing you've ever eaten?
>Any
>>special or exculpatory comments?

The strangest thing I have ever eaten is a bear burger. It was quite good
though. Also I have eaten those popcorn chicken at KFC! What are those things
anyway???

Dave Spiegel

rachel cree

Feb 28, 2002, 11:28:21 AM2/28/02
I know what you're all thinking already and it doesn't count. With that
being said... being vegetarian, you don't eat too many wacky things because
that usually involves meat but I have tried octopus and alligator in my day.

Before I stopped eating meat, I was at my aunt's and she had some sort of
meat casserole and wouldn't tell me what it is until I had tried it. The
meat ended up being rabbit. This was the inspiration to my first steps in to
vegetarianism. I guess it's a norm in Newfoundland, where my Mother's side
of the family are all from. That along with flipper pie, cod cheeks and
tongues, and other peculiar dishes evolving from the countries of the first
settler's homelands (mainly the Mediterranean, Viking country and Great
Britain). I will never forget being in Newfoundland one summer and being
sent to the deep freeze to get something. I opened the freezer and came face
to face with a frozen solid rabbit... fur and all with its icy eyes staring
straight ahead, mid jump. The scream was out of my throat before I could
catch it and my uncle was down the stairs in a crash asking just "what the
blue, bald headed screaming Jesus" was wrong with me. After having a good
laugh at the "stupid mainlander" he left, shaking his head at the fact that
my education had been so neglected.
If that's the case, I'll remain rabbit - illiterate, thanks

--
rach
Shut my mouth and strike the demons

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

Nanc

Feb 28, 2002, 2:17:32 PM2/28/02
I've tried Octopus, Cow's tongue and Tripe- all of which I found disgusting.
Nanc

Kelly

Feb 28, 2002, 6:09:38 PM2/28/02

"D.Spiegel" wrote...
They seem to be chicken skin, fat, and salt.

When they first came out I tried them with a
friend. The next day our feet and fingers swelled
up from all the salt. Needless to say I will never
have them again.

Kelly

Kelly

Feb 28, 2002, 6:10:28 PM2/28/02

"antipositivist" wrote
Sounds yummy!

Kelly

Kelly

Feb 28, 2002, 6:19:22 PM2/28/02

"Nanc" <bill...@attbi.com> wrote in message
..

> I've tried Octopus, Cow's tongue and Tripe- all
of which I found disgusting.
> Nanc

I went for Dim Sum with an old client. She made me
promise to try everything, even though she knew my
distaste for fish and meat on the bone. I was at a
severe disadvantage, I was the only non Chinese
speaking person at our table and everything was
ordered in Chinese.

After trying an assortment of "goodies" I stuck
with white rice and tripe. The tripe tasted a
little like cabbage. The other items were chicken
feet, fish balls, and god only knows what.

I still had a great time and was congratulated on
my bravery.

Kelly

Molly, the New Wave Queen

Feb 28, 2002, 7:59:54 PM2/28/02
I've eaten what some people have thought was gross. I've had frog's legs
(which do taste like chicken), escargots, sushi, octopus, squid, oysters and
clams. I'm not sure if I ever want to try haggus or sweetbreads, because
they sound too disgusting.

Molly

"Kelly" <spide...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Feb 28, 2002, 8:25:16 PM2/28/02
"Kelly" <spide...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I went for Dim Sum with an old client.

I still dont know what Dim Sum is! Or, Tiramisu. What the hell are they?

chicken
> feet, fish balls,

I've always wondered about fish balls. I mean I know they've got them, but
I've never seen them hanging. Sort of like snake testicles.
And I did have pigs ears. It's a Puerto Rican delicacy. Kinda crunchy,
sorta like HARD potato chips that taste like pig.

Yeff

Feb 28, 2002, 10:04:04 PM2/28/02
On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 23:19:22 GMT,
Kelly<spide...@yahoo.com> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> The other items were chicken
> feet,

Here's my chicken feet story...

When I was stationed in Korea (which is where
I tried cow brains) I went into work one evening
and the Senior Korean Linguist ran up to me with
a story. He'd been out the night before with his
new yobo (loved one in Korean) and she asked him
if he wanted to get some "chicken fet". Not knowing
what chicken fet was and feeling adventurous he
said yes. His first surprise was that chicken fet
was simply a bad pronunciation of chicken feet.
His second surprise came when he saw what the chicken
fet was wrapped in...

It was a computer rip. No biggie-da (we talked
like that in Korea) since all of the street vendors
that sold food re-used paper that way. No biggie-da
until he read what was on the rip:

"A1C Jeffery L. B...... is scheduled for Human Immuno
Virus (HIV) testing on 17 Jul 86..."

Yep, the DOD had just started testing for AIDS and
somehow a copy of the rip informing me of my appointment
had ended up wrapped around some fet. Go figure.

-Jeff B. (war stories while you wait)
yeff at erols dot com

Ang

Feb 28, 2002, 11:06:29 PM2/28/02

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

> I still dont know what Dim Sum is! Or, Tiramisu. What the hell are they?

Ooh Ooh ::done in her best Arnold Horschak imitation::

Dim Sum is the Chinese version of a smorgasbord (sp?). They have all sorts
of delicacies. This is definitely not your "normal" kind chow mein kinda
chinese food.

They serve chicken feet, black turtle jello, octopus soup, shark fin soup,
egg nest something or other, tofu

Tiramisu is an Italian flan (custard) with some stuff poured over the top of
it.

I know my answers are vague, sorry.

Ang

Buddy from Brooklyn at Work

Mar 1, 2002, 3:24:09 AM3/1/02
Yeff <ye...@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<a5mr4f$ji$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 23:19:22 GMT,

> "A1C Jeffery L. B...... is scheduled for Human Immuno
> Virus (HIV) testing on 17 Jul 86..."
>
> Yep, the DOD had just started testing for AIDS and
> somehow a copy of the rip informing me of my appointment
> had ended up wrapped around some fet. Go figure.

See Jeff, I knew it was a government conspiracy! If you eat chicken
fet without a condom, you get HIV. I KNEW it wasn't relly related to
sex. It was all the chicken fet.

Yeff

Mar 1, 2002, 4:21:24 AM3/1/02
On 1 Mar 2002 00:24:09 -0800,
Buddy from Brooklyn at Work<thewand...@hotmail.com> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> See Jeff, I knew it was a government conspiracy! If you eat chicken
> fet without a condom, you get HIV. I KNEW it wasn't relly related to
> sex. It was all the chicken fet.

You found out the truth. Now I have to kill you...

-Jeff B. (who *hates* killing people. Far too much paperwork involved.)

Beatlfilms

Mar 1, 2002, 4:27:05 AM3/1/02
Yeff said:

>You found out the truth. Now I have to kill you...
>
>-Jeff B. (who *hates* killing people. Far too much paperwork involved.)

Maybe you could just give him a nasty paper cut? :-)

Shawn

Sandy

Mar 1, 2002, 11:57:42 AM3/1/02
I'm not too adventerous when it comes to food...although I *do* eat hotdogs. :)

I guess the weirdest things I've eaten are squid, periwinkles, and a Chinese
hat shaped thingy off the rocks in Maine...

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

Jeff Troutman

Mar 1, 2002, 7:48:58 PM3/1/02
"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> OK, this is NOT specifically '70s related (to them that care) but let's
make
> this drift but topically. What is the strangest thing you've ever eaten?
Any
> special or exculpatory comments?

Ostrich. It was Ok.

I've had sushi, but I don't consider that strange.

Jeff Troutman; come to think of it, I don't consider ostrich that strange
either.

Kelly

Mar 1, 2002, 11:22:42 PM3/1/02

"The Wanderer" wrote

> How were the "Oysters"?

Not bad. Nothing I would have every day, but I
would have them again.

Kelly

Kelly

Mar 1, 2002, 11:26:59 PM3/1/02

"The Wanderer" <

> "Kelly" <spide...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > I went for Dim Sum with an old client.
>
> I still dont know what Dim Sum is! Or, Tiramisu.
What the hell are they?

When I get some money we will go to Chinatown for
Dim Sum. Will you be joining us Tom and Stevie?

Tiramisu is a dessert. I think it is Italian. It
looks like cookies soaked in expresso. Yuck!

Kelly

Kelly

Mar 1, 2002, 11:30:53 PM3/1/02

"Jeff Troutman" wrote
I would be more likely to try ostrich than sushi.
I don't like fish.

Ostrich is strange. Isn't it red meat?

The question is "Is Jeff Troutman strange?"

Kelly

Yeff

Mar 2, 2002, 12:01:00 AM3/2/02
On Sat, 02 Mar 2002 04:30:53 GMT,
Kelly<spide...@yahoo.com> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> I don't like fish.

Californian Weirdo: I don't like fish, marine fish.

Jim: You are listening to KAOS here in Los Angeles

Californian Weirdo: I don't like fish.

Jim: Yes, we've established that, Ah! Do you have a request?

Californian Weirdo: Shell fish, guppy, salmon, shrimp and crab and
lobster, flounder, I hate fish, but I think most of all I hate
fresh fish, like trout. I hate fish trout. My least-hated, favourite
fish would be sole. That way you don't have to see eyes. Sole has no
eyes.

Jim: Oh no!

I'd like to be home with my monkey and my dog.
Jim: Thank you.

I'd like to be home with my monkey and my dog.
I'd like to be home with my monkey and my dog.
I'd like to be home with my monkey and my dog.
I'd like to be home with my monkey ...

Jim: They don't care. Shut up. Play the record.

[So ends your Roger Waters "Sunset Strip" interlude]
http://www.ingsoc.com/waters/albums/kaos/kaoslyr.html

-Jeff B.

Jeff Troutman

Mar 2, 2002, 7:21:51 AM3/2/02

You would have to ask someone who has.........um, never mind.

Jeff Troutman

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Naz Reyes

Mar 3, 2002, 5:24:44 PM3/3/02

Jeff Troutman wrote:

> Ostrich. It was Ok.
>
> I've had sushi, but I don't consider that strange.
>

> Jeff Troutman; come to think of it, I don't consider ostrich that strange
> either.

Actually, sushi isn't that strange as long as you DON'T know that it's
sushi that you're eating. When you find out what it IS, make sure there
is a bathroom nearby :)

It *looks* pretty, though. LOL!

-Naz

Sandy

Mar 3, 2002, 6:39:34 PM3/3/02
>What are periwinkles? And what was that "hat"?

Periwinkles are the little snail like things that you pick off the rock at the
beach...well in Maine we always did. When I was little my dad had a pick bunch
and then he steamed them. To eat them we got a sewing needle and picked them
out.

The "hat" thingy was just a little shell fish about the size of my baby
fingernail that had the shape of a chinese hat...you know the round hats that
come to a point in the center? It clings to the rocks and is a bugger to pull
off! My dad told me my grandmother used to go along and pick them and eat
them. So I tried once. Only tasted like salt water to me. :)

Jeff Troutman

Mar 4, 2002, 10:10:29 PM3/4/02

Ah. See, my problem was that I was in a Japanese restaurant, with friends
saying things like "Here, try the sushi." Kinda hard to pretend at that
point.

> It *looks* pretty, though. LOL!

That it does.

Jeff Troutman

Sunshine State

Mar 7, 2002, 4:43:51 AM3/7/02
Brains, Ostrich, Tripe, Alligator, Tongue, and Calamari (not the usual
kind--this wasn't breaded and the tentacles were still all attached!)