O.K. . .WHO roller skated?

a_nate...@my-deja.com

Oct 7, 2000, 1:25:31 AM10/7/00
I went with some friends to "70 -80's Skate Nite" earlier at the Port
Royal Skate Inn.

They forced me as a goof, knowing how much I loved the music.

The memories of the video games, refreshment area, and speedin' around -
and don't let me forget, "The Hokee Pokee" were so fun. I only wish
that "the drama" of who's going out with whom and what's going on later
on that night could take me back to whence.

My daughter said "what-everrrrrrr - dad, let's go. . ."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

DavisK

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
I remember rollerskating twice in the 80's at actual roller rinks, and a few
times in the 70's in a playground or gym or something at school. I was a
kid though, so I don't remember too much.

SuspectDevice

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
For a couple of years, during '76 and '77, the Skate Palace was the place to
be. At school, we would arrange to meet girls there and skate with them. I
remember a lot of posturing and cruising back and forth trying to get the
attention of a (usually older) girl. These were good times for me.

I went three nights a week: Friday, Saturday (5-11pm), and Sunday (3-8pm).
My parents bought me cool racing skates for Christmas, with big fat wheels
and low-top boots. I had a skate case with my name painted across it and a
Kiss Army sticker plastered on the back side.

We would play foosball, pinball, air hockey, eat soft pretzels, drink cokes,
socialize, and generally have a great time. My parents loved it because it
got me out of the house for a few hours and they didn't worry about me
getting in trouble.

Our rink was really a roller disco, since it had a DJ and 8 big speakers on
the wall. They played Top-40 hits. One end was a big black light mural and
the floor was baby blue. Everything else was covered with blue shag carpet,
like the inside of some guy's van. My dad sold the flooring to the owners,
so I got in free until I lost interest in skating (BMX and skateboarding
were to blame).

The place is a Ross Dress For Less now.

<a_nate...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

LizzieZ

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
Wow, I loved going rollerskating when I was younger. There were 2 main places
to go, but one was head and shoulders above the other in its hipness. I'd have
to say it was more of the roller disco setting, while the other was more like a
gymnasium. The first one was called The Axle, and was THE place to have a
birthday party. I remember my sister having what must have been her 9th or
10th birthday there (somewhere around 1980); I also remember the disco lights,
the signboard at one end of the room that lit up whatever kind of "skate" it
was (All-skate, Couples, Foxtrot, Reverse, etc.), the disco floor in one corner
of the room if you preferred dancing to skating, and the arcade in a room off
the main rink room. What fond memories!! I'd love to go back in time for a
day to that time... Now it's a Syms. :-(

Liz

Raphael

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
We definitely roller skated but not till the 80's. Then we went to two
places, the first was called "Abba's Ark", a small rink with Christmas
lights around it. They played religious music. It never got really
crowded, and we had a lot of fun there. (20 falls my first night out, 13 in
the first 20 minutes and one resulted in a 6 person pile up!)

When they closed, we went to Wheelie's, which was more of a 'chain'. Big,
loud, 'current' music, bigger crowds. I've got some fond memories of that
place too. There were two of them in the area, one is a 'community arena',
the other is a car dealership.

*sai*

Erin ">

azure

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
sure did-every weekend-very small local place-always packed-great
music-anyone remember snowball?

azure

Teu...@webtv.net

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
I roller skated regularly between '76-'79. The problem was that all my
friends hung-out at the nearby "fun center" instead ( which had an
arcade, minature golf, trampolines, batting cage, and race car track).
It was much cooler being there all day than at the roller rink. Also, I
never saw many "fine babes" at the rink so I got bored quickly and left
for the mall.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger'
- Friedrick Nietzsche

Dixon Hayes

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
I did...I roller skated...

Mom would drop me and my two friends William and Roger off, then drive away in
that Ford Country Squire station wagon with the wood grain on the side
(mercifully no one saw it leave).

William taught me the fine art of "fake clumsy". You skate into a really
pretty girl, then both of you fall; you arrange to have the girl land on top of
you. Nice little ice breaker there for a hormonally-charged 13-year-old. Of
course, what worked better for *me* is to stand at teh snack bar, watch some
other guy do it, then point it out to the girl next to me and say "Man, do you
believe some guys?" ;-)

One other thing...I think KC and the Sunshine Band rocked at the skating rink.
That, and such Elton John classics as "Philadelphia Freedom".

Dixon
===========
"How I VOTE, brother, is my business...how'd you vote, Ange?"
--Barney Fife

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

Ay Fongul

Oct 8, 2000, 10:36:03 PM10/8/00
I rollerskated! Every Friday night when I was in 6th grade, *everyone* who was
*anyone* went to Yankee Doodle (it was 1976!) Roller Skating Rink (or was it
called an arena?).

I remember going there and being *hot* (as hot as a 12 year old could be,
anyway). I had my lip gloss (the flavored kind with the little roller ball
inside) and my Goody Comb hangin' out of my back pocket (had to keep those
"feathers" in place).
I got my first tongue kiss during that era and I can remember being so grossed
out ( I didn't have a clue what he was doing!). BTW, I could skate
*backwards*. Thanks for whomever started this thread, it brought back lots of
memories!

doug holverson

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
I skated a few times in the Denison, Iowa roller rink back in the '70s.
Since then the Honda motorcycle dealership took over the building.

DGH

Sandy

Oct 16, 2000, 11:03:57 PM10/16/00
I never rollerskated in the 70s, at least not at a rink. I had (and still
have!) those old metal skates with the key. If you didn't kill yourself when
your foot came out of them while you were rolling down the street, it would
just mean you couldn't walk for and hour after you took them off because
yourfeet would be numb from all the vibrations!

I did however ice skate quite a bit at the ice skating rink. That was a lot of
fun! To this day The Carpenter Singles album can put me right back there...it
was the only album they owned I guess since they played it over and over and
over.... But I certainly didn't mind. It made me LOVE that album all the more!

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

Jamie

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
I roller skated at the local ice skating rink. But *the* place for kids in and
around Toronto in the 70s was The Terrace--I went there a couple of times-- Disco
ball and lots of polyester. I wasn't very good -- my only move was "shoot the
duck", often punctuated by falling on my *ss.

Jamie

Teu...@webtv.net

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
Sandy,

Those old metal skates you mentioned reminded me of the old skateboards-
the old "banana" boards WITHOUT polyurethane (sp?) wheels! The vibration
was horrible.

Tim

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
Never roller skated...but I had a skateboard.

Tim

Sandy

Oct 17, 2000, 9:30:34 PM10/17/00
>Those old metal skates you mentioned reminded me of the old skateboards-
>the old "banana" boards WITHOUT polyurethane (sp?) wheels! The vibration
>was horrible.

I could never stand up on a skateboard...still can't! You must have been
really good Teuton, to balance AND deal with all the vibrations! Yikes!!

The Wanderer

Oct 17, 2000, 11:29:59 PM10/17/00
Back in the olden times, after having seen Jan & Dean ride them and sing
Sidewalk Surfin', we made our own. Took 1 roller skate (metal) and split it
in two. Took wooden board between 12" & 18" and nailed the front on the
front and the back on the back - after taking out the rubber piece inside.
got a little 3 In 1, applied liberally. Went to the top on 49 St. at 6 Ave.
and rode down the block to 5 Ave. The big trick was seeing if a car was
coming through the busy intersection of 49 St. & 5 Ave. Do you shoot through
and risk your life? Or suddenly turn to go along 5 ave. til you stopped? Did
the same thing on a text book and a roller skate, before that. A lot of kids
were killed by traffic when I was a kid. Then they put a traffic signal in
around '68.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn