Theorizing the 1970s

1 view

thomas conroy

Nov 20, 1994, 5:49:50 PM11/20/94

In her book, Platforms, Pagan Kennedy argues that the 1970s are more
interesting (and also more neglected) by theorists and historians than the
1960s, given that in the 70s, many of the 60s themes filtered down to the
various segments of mass society; For example, the Black Power movement
worked its way into the a sort of funky Black 70s oppositional style,
embodied in such things as the Afro (worn by both blacks and whites), 70s
dance music, and Blaxploitation films (i.e, Shaft, Superfly, Black Caesar,
etc.) Another example would be the growth of recreational drug use by segments
as diverse as high school students, blue colar workers and professionals, each
with a corresponding sub-culture.

I tend to agree with Kennedy, but wonder about this: Did the 70s largely
represent a continuation/extension of the radical '60s, an anticipation of the
conservative 80s, or a contradictory hybrid of the '60s and the '80s?

thomas conroy

Nov 20, 1994, 6:12:17 PM11/20/94
thomas conroy (con...@bu.edu) wrote:

: In her book, Platforms, Pagan Kennedy argues that the 1970s are more

Let me just add that those with a more conservative bent are more likely to
see the 60s as a foolishly self-righteous are, and to see the 70s as a
bubble-puncturing corrective of 60s radicalism; Such interpretations get their
political principles from the 80s and probably see the 70s as simply a fun,
innocent time (the highlights of which were the re-election of Nixon and the
defeat of Jimmy Carter. To a 60s' 70's interpreter, the 70s were an extension
of the 60s and a time for some mellowing out, after the explosions of the 60s,
i.e., a time for turning inward and enjoying life's various pleasures. A
contradictory hybrid approach (one I most favor) sees contradictions in both
the 60s (such as racism and sexism in the left, or contradictions in the
"welfare-warfare state") and contradictions in the 80s (such as yuppie
conservatives espousing trickle down economics as an excuse to support the
disinvestment into the welfare state, and as an ideology for accompanying
going around gentrifying old neighborhoods while then picking up on the style
of the marginals, etc.) This approach sees the 70s as an amalgam of both the
best (and worst) features of the 60s and an anticipation of the 80s.

ko...@cruzio.com

Nov 21, 1994, 10:05:04 PM11/21/94

That sounds about right. After the counterculture explosion (hi Newt!),
many folks saw that those dang hippies were having a lot of fun and
decided that it might not be such a bad idea. Casual drug use, relaxed
morality vis-a-vis sex, and the whole "If it feels good, do it" ethos
were embraced by a wider group than the young/non-white subculture
where they incubated. Or at least, the traditional elements of society
fell back and regrouped while the rest of us got stoned and let our
guard down. %^)

--
ko...@cruzio.com, a.k.a. Marty Stevens
"I can no more leave the net than I can escape my own tortured soul."