memories of fast food restaurants

Guy Noir - private eye

Nov 18, 2001, 7:31:07 PM11/18/01
I remember the good old days of fast food places and I'm sure you do too.
Mcdonalds, also called the Mc d's supper club. I remember when they wore those
rust-colored polyester uniforms with those paper hats. they all looked like
morons. Back then, they promoted more of the mcdonalds characters too. mayor mc
cheese and big mac, which was supposed to be the cop or something. remember
when the fry guys were called goblins? they were supposed to be evil or
something. and the hamburglar always stealing something, burgers i guess. ah,
and those lovable styrofoam burger containers too.

burger king- don't remember much about these guys although they did have that
jingle that everyone could sing. they did have a burger king mascot guy with a
beard and wearing a hat or something. can anyone add more?

Hardee's. my favourite nowadays. can't beat the frisco burger! they had a
mascot or some kind of characters. it was a guy called the roadrunner who had a
white car with orange stripes on it. I actually had that little matchbox car
for a little while! I remember in the late 70's you could get a free token and
use it to get something out of a vending machine. some little useless trinket
or something but it was cool nonetheless.
D.B. Young. Team OS/2!
-->this message printed on recycled disk space<--
antique computer virtual museum, turbo pinto + more at
www.nothingtodo.org

Delete the obvious (Aolsucks) to reply.

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 18, 2001, 7:47:58 PM11/18/01

In Jersey City, when I was a kid, we didn't really have that many of what
are now the big name, chain fast food places (McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys,
Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, etc.). Instead, we had White Castle, White Manor, Astro
Burger, Tippys, Mr. S, Chicken Delight, and Texas Hot Wieners, that is, mainly
locally owned, locally run eateries. Oh, and also Blimpies, if you want to
count that as fast food, as well as lots of local pizzerias, like Donnas,
Pizza Masters, Central Pizza, Jules, Vinnies, etc. For a time, we had an
Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips up in Union City. I don't think we got our
neighborhood Burger King until the mid to late 70s, which, not so coincidentally,
is when we got our city's first mall, Newport Center (which, if you watch
Seinfeld, was apparently the mall they visit in the "parking lot" episode).

-------------------
none of our pockets are filled with gold
nobody's caught the bouquet
there are no dead presidents we can fold
nothing is going our way

--Tom Waits (More Than Rain, 1987)

DA66

Nov 19, 2001, 1:13:43 AM11/19/01
>burger king- don't remember much about these guys although they did have that
>jingle that everyone could sing. they did have a burger king mascot guy with
>beard and wearing a hat or something. can anyone add more?

They also had the magical guy. He would try magic or spells, but it always
seemed to be wrong, kind of like Mr Magoo gets special powers. I remember the
one where they were buying burgers and one of the group said: Give me the bill.
and the magician gave him a bird's bill.

Kelly

Nov 19, 2001, 2:07:47 AM11/19/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote

I don't think we got our
> neighborhood Burger King until the mid to late 70s, which, not so
coincidentally,
> is when we got our city's first mall, Newport Center (which, if you watch
> Seinfeld, was apparently the mall they visit in the "parking lot"
episode).

I have spent many hours at Newport Center. It is so much easier to get to
than my beloved Roosevelt Field out on Long Island. My friend Kiersten and I
would do "mall days" there.

Kelly

andy749

Nov 19, 2001, 10:11:08 AM11/19/01
When I was a kid in Miami (60s) we had Burger King before McDonalds...at
least that's how I remember it around our neighborhood. We had a White
Castle too. There were these White Castle imitators all over town caled
Royal Castle...their burgers were probably a little tastier than WC's
imo.
Back then Burger King had the fat crinkly fries...I don't think they do
anymore. I always liked those type of fries the best.
First McDonalds I remember us going to, you had to eat outside...you
ordered from a window like at a Dairy Queen. They didn't have much to
choose from back then...this was before Big Macs. I think they had hot
dogs then tho.
Speaking of hot dogs there was a chain near us called Lums that had the
best dogs! They were steamed in beer...then smothered with mustard and
kraut...mmmm!

Brent Popham

Nov 19, 2001, 11:34:26 AM11/19/01

> Hardee's. my favourite nowadays. can't beat the frisco burger! they had a
> mascot or some kind of characters. it was a guy called the roadrunner who had a
> white car with orange stripes on it. I actually had that little matchbox car
> for a little while! I remember in the late 70's you could get a free token and
> use it to get something out of a vending machine. some little useless trinket
> or something but it was cool nonetheless.
> D.B. Young. Team OS/2!

When Hardee's first came to our area (I think they bought the Sandy's
hamburger chain) they had a cowboy character named Gilbert Giddyup and
a villian named Speedy McGreedy. I had a canvas backpack with Speedy
McGreedy on it when I started 8th grade and the kids in my school
started calling me Speedy. I seen a fellow that I went to school with
in Wal-Mart a few months ago and he didn't call me Brent,he called me
Speed.

Brent
12-28-61

Hatter

Nov 19, 2001, 2:19:38 PM11/19/01
supr...@aol.comAolsucks (Guy Noir - private eye) wrote in message news:<20011118193107...@mb-md.aol.com>...

> I remember the good old days of fast food places and I'm sure you do too.
> Mcdonalds, also called the Mc d's supper club. I remember when they wore those
> rust-colored polyester uniforms with those paper hats. they all looked like
> morons. Back then, they promoted more of the mcdonalds characters too. mayor mc
> cheese and big mac, which was supposed to be the cop or something. remember
> when the fry guys were called goblins? they were supposed to be evil or
> something. and the hamburglar always stealing something, burgers i guess. ah,
> and those lovable styrofoam burger containers too.

The guy stealing the burgers was the Hamburgler, was a little real guy
in makeup instead of a guy in a fuzzy 'character' getup like they have
nowaday. also had a pirate called Captain Cook for promoting the fish
samwhich

burger king- don't remember much about these guys although they did
have that
> jingle that everyone could sing. they did have a burger king mascot guy with a
> beard and wearing a hat or something. can anyone add more?

'The Burger King'- that simple
A Robot called 'The Wizard of Fries' that had a clear bubble head that
was full of fries
A Knight that clattered around 'Sir Shakes-A-Lot'
There was a mild badguy on the order of the hamburgler "The Duke of
Doubt"

Can't remember past that.

Just throwing in my two cents after taking them off my eyelids

Nanc

Nov 19, 2001, 4:23:57 PM11/19/01
This thread reminds me of a trip to Walgreen's the other day. I was there
for a couple of things and then....I was walking by the refrigerator section
and what do I see? A box of "ready-made" White Castle burgers, Otis
Spunkmeyer Muffins (not cookies or I would have tried one) and Dove Bars. I
immediately thought of this NG.
It's interesting that just by going about my daily business, this group
comes to mind because of these simple things. Always brings a smile to my
face :-) BTW the WC burgers looked scary!
Nanc

DL

Nov 19, 2001, 4:38:32 PM11/19/01
On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:23:57 GMT, "Nanc" <bill...@mediaone.net>
wrote:

>what do I see? A box of "ready-made" White Castle burgers, Otis
>Spunkmeyer Muffins (not cookies or I would have tried one) and Dove Bars. I
>immediately thought of this NG.

The other day at CostCo I noticed that they sell frozen boxes of Otis
Spunkmeister cookie dough, all ready to go. Speaking as one who bakes
a lot, I find them good but my homemade ones can be just as good if I
put in good ingredients and don't cheap out. Also the two rack
cooking method and the air-baking-sheets really helps.

- -

DL

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 19, 2001, 6:36:14 PM11/19/01

"Nanc" <bill...@mediaone.net> wrote:
>BTW the WC burgers looked scary!

>Nanc

I'm sure they did, Nanc. As far as I am concerned, the only way to eat murderburgers
is to go to the Castle, and to eat them there - preferably after the bars
close for the night; that's usually when White Castle is at its liveliest.
(In my neighborhood, its when all the pimps are taking their girls out to
dinner.)

Tom
(who needs to go get himself some spunkmeyer cookies to try)

Yeff

Nov 19, 2001, 7:01:17 PM11/19/01
In article <3bf9976e$1...@spamkiller.newsgroups.com>,
antipos...@127.0.0.1<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> I'm sure they did, Nanc. As far as I am concerned, the only way to eat murderburgers
> is to go to the Castle, and to eat them there - preferably after the bars
> close for the night; that's usually when White Castle is at its liveliest.
> (In my neighborhood, its when all the pimps are taking their girls out to
> dinner.)

When I was in Korea there was a lady who set
up a stand outside the bases main gate every
night. She wore an old McDonalds hat and had
a sign that read "Ms Kim's Burgers".

The burgers would be kept warm for hours until
you ordered one. Then she'd move it directly
over the fire to get it really hot before putting
it on a bun with some weird sauce, onions, shredded
cabbage (yes, you read that correctly) and tomato.

Everyone I knew called them "yobo-burgers". Yobo
means something like "mate" in Korean. If you
hooked up steady with a girl she was your yobo.
The bar-girls all seemed to like the burgers hence
the name.

I always walked by the cart without eating there
until one night when I was out on a flight run.
My supervisor got the munchies and ordered me to
accompany him to Ms Kim's. We staggered down
there and each ordered a burger. Delicious!
After that, every time I ran the 'ville I'd order
one on my way home.

One day I'm sitting in my dorm before working a
mid. I was thinking about heading over to the
chow-hall for dinner but decided to get a yobo-burger
instead. I walked off base, sober, went straight
to Ms Kim and ordered one. After getting my food
I walked back on base and, while walking, opened
the newspaper wrapper and took a bite...

...which I promptly spit out.

What in the world had convinced me that the slimy,
cabbage-tasting mess in my hand was any good?

My good friend alcohol.

There's a lesson there someplace.

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

Dixon Hayes

Nov 19, 2001, 7:14:43 PM11/19/01
Tom wrote:

>As far as I am concerned, the only way to eat murderburgers
>is to go to the Castle, and to eat them there - preferably after the bars
>close for the night; that's usually when White Castle is at its liveliest.

We don't have White Castles here in the south but we do have a chain called
Krystal that serves the same kind of burger. You're not considered a real man
in these parts if you haven't tried to stomach at least five Krystals and maybe
even a couple of Krystal chili pups.

Dixon
===========
"I'm not standing in the stag line with Old Man Perkins and a bunch of
slumped-over teenaged boys!"
--Barney Fife

Classic Hollywood Squares: http://www.classicsquares.com

Roman

Nov 19, 2001, 7:39:24 PM11/19/01

Guy Noir - private eye wrote:
>burger king- don't remember much about these guys although they did have
that
>jingle that everyone could sing. they did have a burger king mascot guy
with a
>beard and wearing a hat or something. can anyone add more?

I believe they had some sort of robotic french-fry machine character. Or
maybe I was only dreaming? Speaking of Burger King, I remember their
onion-rings were much bigger. They also gave really amazing toys to the
kids (like the little cars which you had to pull some sort of zippered
plastic strip thru to make them go fast!)

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 19, 2001, 9:57:43 PM11/19/01

Yum, yum, what else is on the menu there, Dixon?

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 19, 2001, 10:01:27 PM11/19/01
>....which I promptly spit out.

>What in the world had convinced me that the slimy,
>cabbage-tasting mess in my hand was any good?
>
>My good friend alcohol.
>
>There's a lesson there someplace.
>
>-Jeff B.
>yeff at erols dot com

Good story, Jeff. I guess, given that it was Asia, it could have been just
about anything in the food. I know that when I was in Japan, I sometimes
didn't always know what I was eating, though it was almost always delicious,
with or without lots of beer (and sake) :)

Tom

Dixon Hayes

Nov 20, 2001, 9:00:46 AM11/20/01
Tom wrote:

>Yum, yum, what else is on the menu there, Dixon?

The only other thing I can think of right off the bat is the Krystal Chik
(their chicken sandwich)...

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 20, 2001, 10:21:41 AM11/20/01

Krystal Chik, that sounds like it could be the name of a band - perhaps an
80s hair metal band.

Tom

Kelly

Nov 20, 2001, 11:00:28 AM11/20/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1 wrote

> Krystal Chik, that sounds like it could be the name of a band - perhaps
an
> 80s hair metal band.
>
> Tom

I seem to remember a band called Crystal Ship. They did a Doors cover show.
The Dead Milkmen mention it "Bitchin' Camaro", I also remember hearing radio
ads for them.

Kelly

The Wanderer

Nov 20, 2001, 2:46:47 PM11/20/01
Knowing "something" about "The Game", you feed 'em twice. Once before
puttin' 'em out around sundown, and once after pickin' 'em up for home (and
collecting) just before sun up.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo and t'roo. An' even den
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning
<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

The Wanderer

Nov 20, 2001, 3:35:09 PM11/20/01
Here is N.Y. we are the last to get the chains. They dont seem to want to go
into the city until they have saturated the suburbs first. That's why
McDonalds, Burger King, Red Lobster, Bennigan's, Arthur Treacger's, etc.
dont get here until everybody in the country is already well familiar with
them. We used to stop at a McDonalds, out in Jersey by my cousins, back in
'65-'66. They didn't arrive in N.Y.C. until the early '70s, like wise with
Burger King. We'd see all these commercials and they would just frustrate
us. It just seemed that they concerned themselves more with
"mightywhiteyland" where all the upper middle class white folks had moved to
get away from the city. In the city it was more diverse, less financially
stable hence non-lucrative, and just not their real focus. They proliferated
in the areas where you HAD to have a car, and we were in an area where there
was massive public transportation. The attitude of these places was always
we'll get to ya later (it was the same with cable TV-it didn't even get INTO
Brooklyn until the late '80s).
I remember my best friend Bruce, who was a big
seafood lover, would see commercials for Red Lobster and salivate. He would
say that "We've GOT to go there soon sometime." One day he picks me up in a
car so that we could go to Red Lobster (on Long Island-the closest). It was
a Cadillac. I asked him who he borrowed the Caddy off of but he shook me
off. He later showed me a piece of paper with this Italian guys name,
address, and phone number on it and said the car was his. I said "So who is
he? How do you know this guy?" (Bruce knew a lot of people and a lot of
shady people.) He said "I dont know him. I stole the car. I found the name
address and phone number in the car." That's how bad HE wanted Red Lobster.
The next day while I was with him he called the guy up and told him on what
corner he could find his car-unharmed. The guy said "I'd like to meet you so
I could give you a reward, or somethin'" and Bruce said "I only took it
because I needed it to go somewhere. Meet you? Ha ha, you must think I'm
stupid!"

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo and t'roo. An' even den
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"Roman" <rm...@att.net> wrote in message

Nanc

Nov 21, 2001, 7:31:42 AM11/21/01
Cool story Buddy, bet you could write a book. But how *was* the food. We
don't have them here in MA.
Nanc

The Wanderer wrote in message
<18zK7.121916$n5.15...@typhoon.nyc.rr.com>...

The Wanderer

Nov 21, 2001, 7:48:00 AM11/21/01
Red Lobster as I recall through my alcohol haze was very tasty. And I
enjoyed it twice that night: once going down and then coming up again.
"Nanc" <bill...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

Nanc

Nov 22, 2001, 9:38:37 AM11/22/01
eewwwww...sorry I asked LOL!

The Wanderer wrote in message

<4oNK7.114329$XA5.18...@typhoon.nyc.rr.com>...

Nanc

Nov 22, 2001, 9:43:53 AM11/22/01
Naz, they really great for families with kids. You order your food at the
counter and they give you a number. The food is pretty good. The part that
is good for the kids are the games. They have a section of game machines
etc. If you don't like being in a noisy place with lots of kids, I wouldn't
recommend it.
Nanc

Naz Reyes wrote in message <3BFC3D19...@american.edu>...

>First off, Red Lobster is NOT a fastfood chain. It's more like a family
>restaurant/bar/diner. Just wanted to get that straight :-)
>
>Two, the only fastfood seafood chain we have here in Northern
>VA/Washington DC area is Long John Silver. I think we still have Arthur
>Treacher's Fish and Chips here and there, but very few compared to the
>number of 'em in the 80s.
>
>Question: has anyone been to Fuddruckers? We have a few around here
>but I've never been in one.
>
>-Naz

Jude

Nov 22, 2001, 10:39:50 AM11/22/01
I grew up with Burger Chef--yall remember that one?
And then one called Mr. Burger
We had a lot of independent fast food places that have since died, but we do
have a drive in, from the '50s, still alive and kicking today called Frosto.
Serving items as diverse as fried egg sandwiches to Alka-Seltzer LOL.

Dixon Hayes

Nov 22, 2001, 3:20:10 PM11/22/01
Jude wrote:

>I grew up with Burger Chef--yall remember that one?

Who doesn't remember Burger Chef? Not only did they invent the kid's meal,
they even invented the movie tie-in ("Star Wars" posters in 1977).

When my kids get a Happy Meal now, they are surprisingly often bored by the
now-elaborate prizes, even if they incorporate their favorite characters. I
actually hear myself saying "When I was your age all we got from Burger Chef
was a whistle and we loved it!" LOL

Lee Ayrton

Nov 22, 2001, 8:23:09 PM11/22/01

On or about Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Jude of jhc86SP...@att.net wrote:

> I grew up with Burger Chef--yall remember that one?

Yep, there's a vacant building a mile or so from where I'm sitting that is
a largely un-remodeled Burger Chef. Still has the half-a-pentagon arch
coming up through the roof.

You might find the following two sites interesting:

3. The History of Burger Chef
http://www.burgerchef.com/BCHistory.htm

and this one for Indiana `Chefs:

2. Lost Indiana: Burger Chef
http://www.in.net/~mcdonajp/lostindiana/html/burger_chef.html

> We had a lot of independent fast food places that have since died, but we do
> have a drive in, from the '50s, still alive and kicking today called Frosto.
> Serving items as diverse as fried egg sandwiches to Alka-Seltzer LOL.

Yep, We still have a few mom-n-pop stands still working here in
eastern Connecticut.

LizzieZ

Nov 22, 2001, 11:52:39 PM11/22/01
>Who doesn't remember Burger Chef?

Uh, that would be me, Dixon. I don't think we had those here in Chicago...

Liz

Dawna

Nov 23, 2001, 12:13:43 AM11/23/01
I thought we still WERE their age! ;)
~~Dawna

The Wanderer

Nov 23, 2001, 8:54:47 AM11/23/01
Babe, ya want a whistle?

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn troo an' troo. An' even den yuh

wouldn't know it all.
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"Dawna" <artangelp...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Tiny Dancer

Nov 23, 2001, 9:01:00 AM11/23/01
And so the word went out from dixon...@aol.comspamless (Dixon Hayes):

>When my kids get a Happy Meal now, they are surprisingly often bored
>by the now-elaborate prizes, even if they incorporate their favorite characters.
>I actually hear myself saying "When I was your age all we got from Burger
>Chef was a whistle and we loved it!" LOL

And don't forget we had to walk there barefoot, Dixon, in a snow storm!
Kids today, huh? They do get elaborate prizes these days, half the time
I can't even figure out how to put them together!

Cheers,

TD

Well we got no choice
All the girls and boys
Makin' all that noise
'Cause they found new toys
from Alice Cooper's "School's Out"

For a good time call
http://the70s.cjb.net

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_Dancer/index.html

The Wanderer

Naz Reyes

Nov 23, 2001, 5:00:38 PM11/23/01
My bad, Buddy :-) My hands are going faster these days than my mind :-)

Anyway...I guess people feel strange going to "normal food chains" in
NYC because there are so many great restaurants there!

-Naz

The Wanderer wrote:

> Didn't say it WAS a fasy food place. Said it was a CHAIN. And my statement
> still stands the large chains usually are very slow to come into the city.
>
> --
> Buddy
> from Brooklyn

Nanc

Nov 23, 2001, 6:55:05 PM11/23/01
.......and we had to walk uphill BOTH ways!

Anonymous

Nov 21, 2001, 6:06:14 PM11/21/01

"> Speaking of hot dogs there was a chain near us called Lums that had the
> best dogs! They were steamed in beer...then smothered with mustard and
> kraut...mmmm!

MMM! Lum's in Columbus Ohio were the bomb! But the best Sundaes defnintly
came from Isaly's!

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! ==-----

Anonymous

Nov 21, 2001, 6:10:17 PM11/21/01

I gotta admit, those new "Lord of the Rings" toys are pretty spiffy!

Dixon Hayes

Nov 24, 2001, 2:39:23 AM11/24/01
Naz wrote:

>Anyway...I guess people feel strange going to "normal food chains" in
>NYC because there are so many great restaurants there!

Well I know if/when I haul *my* silly ass to the Big Apple I ain't wasting time
in no McDonald's!!!

Maybe the Krispy Kreme shop tho (just to see it) and maybe the Starbucks
(because we don't have those here and besides, that's where the NY 70s NG
people meet) but like, I want NY pizza, hell we got Pizza Hut and Domino's
here!!

Nanc

Nov 24, 2001, 8:02:09 AM11/24/01
ditto here Liz
Nanc

Phaedra Alwell

Nov 25, 2001, 2:48:23 AM11/25/01
Burger Chef!
LOL
Reminds me of my dad's old stories of when he was young. He told us of a
time when he went to Burger Chef and bought like tons of food and went
to his car to pig out and was so into it he didn't see a bunch of
teenagers watching from the window and pointing and laughing.
My dad could put down the hamburgers as I recall. For a time he actually
worked there as well as a cook and so did his younger brother.
Is this restaraunt related in anyway to the Frisch's/Big Boy chain?

Phaedra ; )

<bgsound src="http://wtv-zone.com/TheKid/music/turnthepage.mid"
autostart="true" loop="10">
http://community.webtv.net/PhaedraA/WelcometoPhaedras

MollyFa

Nov 25, 2001, 2:42:38 PM11/25/01
Would you call Arthur Treacher's a fast food place, if you do, then I have
fond memories of going there when we'd go down to Long Island to visit my
grandparents, or stopping there on our way to my eye doctor's in Boston.
They had one here in Buffalo at the Main Place Mall, but sadly they closed a
few years ago. I loved their clam rolls.

Molly

Naz Reyes

Nov 25, 2001, 5:53:58 PM11/25/01

Dixon Hayes wrote:

> Naz wrote:
>

>>Anyway...I guess people feel strange going to "normal food chains" in
>>NYC because there are so many great restaurants there!
>>

> Well I know if/when I haul *my* silly ass to the Big Apple I ain't wasting time
> in no McDonald's!!!

I know exactly what you mean. But, believe it or not, there are still
people going to Mickey D's in the MALLS here! I just don't get it!

> Maybe the Krispy Kreme shop tho (just to see it) and maybe the Starbucks
> (because we don't have those here and besides, that's where the NY 70s NG
> people meet) but like, I want NY pizza, hell we got Pizza Hut and Domino's
> here!!
>
> Dixon

You don't have STARBUCKS in Alabama???!!! Wow...I don't know how you
get through your mornings! :-)

-Naz

Kelly

Nov 25, 2001, 6:02:16 PM11/25/01

Naz Reyes wrote

> You don't have STARBUCKS in Alabama???!!! Wow...I don't know how you
> get through your mornings! :-)
>
> -Naz

If it wasn't for Buddy and Tom I would never step into a Starbucks. I am not
a coffee drinker, I don't even know how to make the stuff.

But don't worry Naz. I am living in the apartment of a coffee drinker. I
have whole beans, a coffee grinder, a coffee pot, and something I think you
can make coffee in. I will leave the coffee making to someone else's capable
hands so you will have freshly ground coffee when you get here.

Kelly

Naz Reyes

Nov 25, 2001, 6:12:17 PM11/25/01

Kelly wrote:

Kelly, that's great. I know *I* can use it :)

One word of warning, though...my coffee (the way I make it) can make a
dead man c*m (Mick Jagger's words) :-)

-Naz

Kelly

Nov 25, 2001, 6:17:55 PM11/25/01

Naz Reyes wrote

> Kelly, that's great. I know *I* can use it :)
>
> One word of warning, though...my coffee (the way I make it) can make a
> dead man c*m (Mick Jagger's words) :-)
>
> -Naz

If you call me from the subway here in Forest Hills, I can make sure a fresh
pot will be ready the moment you walk in the door.

I think I will ask Rachel to make the coffee. I don't think we need any dead
men messing up my carpets.

Kelly

Dixon Hayes

Nov 25, 2001, 6:54:36 PM11/25/01
Naz wrote:

>You don't have STARBUCKS in Alabama???!!! Wow...I don't know how you
>get through your mornings! :-)

I spend my mornings hangin' out in a place called the Maxwell House...

Tiny Dancer

Nov 25, 2001, 7:16:27 PM11/25/01
And so the word went out from dixon...@aol.comspamless (Dixon Hayes):

>Naz wrote:

>>You don't have STARBUCKS in Alabama???!!! Wow...I don't know how you
>>get through your mornings! :-)
>
>I spend my mornings hangin' out in a place called the Maxwell House...

Ditto (actually their cousin, Half Caf). I've never even seen the inside of
a Starbucks yet :-0

Cheers,

TD

I'm on my second cup of coffee
And I still can't face the day
from Gordon Lightfoot's "Second Cup of Coffee"

Jude

Nov 25, 2001, 7:45:36 PM11/25/01

> And so the word went out from dixon...@aol.comspamless (Dixon Hayes):
>
> >Naz wrote:
> >
> >>You don't have STARBUCKS in Alabama???!!! Wow...I don't know how you
> >>get through your mornings! :-)
> >
> >I spend my mornings hangin' out in a place called the Maxwell House...
>
> Ditto (actually their cousin, Half Caf). I've never even seen the inside
of
> a Starbucks yet :-0

Starbucks?? what is that?? :)

Jude--who lives in the boonies

Jude

Nov 25, 2001, 7:47:47 PM11/25/01

"Phaedra Alwell" <Phae...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Burger Chef!
> LOL
> Reminds me of my dad's old stories of when he was young. He told us of a
> time when he went to Burger Chef and bought like tons of food and went
> to his car to pig out and was so into it he didn't see a bunch of
> teenagers watching from the window and pointing and laughing.
> My dad could put down the hamburgers as I recall. For a time he actually
> worked there as well as a cook and so did his younger brother.
> Is this restaraunt related in anyway to the Frisch's/Big Boy chain?

No, Burger Chef was absorbed into what is now Hardee's.
Except in La. and Miss--the franchisees formed their own burger chain,
called Mr. Cook (died about 10 years ago).

Jeff Troutman

Nov 25, 2001, 8:22:45 PM11/25/01
"Naz Reyes" <n...@american.edu> wrote:

> Two, the only fastfood seafood chain we have here in Northern
> VA/Washington DC area is Long John Silver. I think we still have Arthur
> Treacher's Fish and Chips here and there, but very few compared to the
> number of 'em in the 80s.

There's an Arthur Treacher's down the street from Landmark Mall, next to the
Fuddruckers. Just FYI. Haven't been in the place myself.

> Question: has anyone been to Fuddruckers? We have a few around here
> but I've never been in one.

My roommate's a fan, so we go a lot. I like it OK, but I think the main
attraction is the sheer volume of food they serve you. And the cool
photos of '50s/'60s rock and sports heroes on the walls.

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

Nov 25, 2001, 8:28:19 PM11/25/01
"Naz Reyes" <n...@american.edu> wrote:

> One word of warning, though...my coffee (the way I make it) can make a
> dead man c*m (Mick Jagger's words) :-)

You see, this is why I just chug 2-liters of Mountain Dew; No muss, no
fuss, and no old blues metaphors leaping out at you unexpectedly.

Jeff Troutman

Kelly

Nov 25, 2001, 10:28:32 PM11/25/01

Jeff Troutman wrote

> You see, this is why I just chug 2-liters of Mountain Dew; No muss, no
> fuss, and no old blues metaphors leaping out at you unexpectedly.
>

> Jeff Troutman

I can't drink Mountain Dew anymore. Iced Tea or very cold chocolate milk is
the morning drink of choice for me.

Kelly

Phaedra Alwell

Nov 26, 2001, 1:11:01 PM11/26/01
I am LOL at the Starbuck's thread. I used to work for them a few months
ago. They do have great coffee and stuff. To quote Tom Hanks from
"You've Got Mail":
"Sell them overpriced books and legal stimulants", LOL
I worked at one right next to Barnes and Noble.
Busy Busy!
Now that i do not work there anymore I miss the gourmet coffee, but as
of recently found a good substitute in our Diamond Shamrock Gas Stations
Its called Cafe something or other and it is really good coffee. I had
their house blend yesterday with chocolate cream and it was to die for.
Also a perk about that : its cheaper and i dont have to travel 12 miles
to get it. But Starbucks is a great company and they have a good thing
going. The only thing i didn't like was the "McDonaldization" of the
service. Just get em in and out in as fast a time as possible.
I prefer a more laid back coffee experience.
Anyway for those of you who do not have Starbucks in your area you can
visit www.Starbucks.com

Phaedra : ) '74

googlesux

Nov 27, 2001, 11:03:58 PM11/27/01
<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<3bf8...@spamkiller.newsgroups.com>...
>Instead, we had White Castle, White Manor, Astro
> Burger, Tippys, Mr. S, Chicken Delight, and Texas Hot Wieners

Don't cook tonight, call Chicken Delight.

Remember that?

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 28, 2001, 12:23:55 AM11/28/01

I sure do. On those occasions when my mom was out, and my dad was in charge
of feeding us, that's pretty much what he'd do. There's really nothing quite
like getting a big bucket of greasy chicken pieces delivered right to your
house; I'd always look forward to that.

-------------------
none of our pockets are filled with gold
nobody's caught the bouquet
there are no dead presidents we can fold
nothing is going our way

--Tom Waits (More Than Rain, 1987)

Tiny Dancer

Nov 28, 2001, 10:28:23 AM11/28/01
And so the word went out from <antipos...@127.0.0.1>:

After jkl...@my-deja.com (googlesux) mentioned:

>>Don't cook tonight, call Chicken Delight.
>>
>>Remember that?
>
>I sure do. On those occasions when my mom was out, and my dad was in charge
>of feeding us, that's pretty much what he'd do. There's really nothing quite
>like getting a big bucket of greasy chicken pieces delivered right to your
>house; I'd always look forward to that.

Speaking of chicken, what about Mary Brown's with the best legs in town?
Or was that place just in Canada? There's still at least one restaurant left
in the Toronto area, out by Pickering, I think. They had it all over KFC, *the*
best fried chicken I've ever tasted, mmmmm!

Cheers,

TD

Then I crossed the empty street
And caught the Sunday smell of someone fryin' chicken
And it took me back to somethin'
That I'd lost somehow somewhere along the way
from Kris Kristofferson's "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down"

Jamie M.

Nov 28, 2001, 10:36:09 AM11/28/01
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:28:23 GMT, ti...@look.ca (Tiny Dancer) wrote:

>And so the word went out from <antipos...@127.0.0.1>:
>
>After jkl...@my-deja.com (googlesux) mentioned:
>
>>>Don't cook tonight, call Chicken Delight.
>>>
>>>Remember that?
>>
>>I sure do. On those occasions when my mom was out, and my dad was in charge
>>of feeding us, that's pretty much what he'd do. There's really nothing quite

>Speaking of chicken, what about Mary Brown's with the best legs in town?

>Or was that place just in Canada? There's still at least one restaurant left
>in the Toronto area, out by Pickering, I think. They had it all over KFC, *the*
>best fried chicken I've ever tasted, mmmmm!

They are still north of the city, in Aurora. Used to be at the end of
the street where I lived. Very dangerous location... Mary Brown's and
and Dairy Queen. *sigh*

Tiny Dancer

Nov 28, 2001, 10:46:58 AM11/28/01
And so the word went out from myst...@hotmail.com (Jamie M.):

Re: Mary Brown's:

>They are still north of the city, in Aurora.

Cool! Glad to hear they're still out there.

>Used to be at the end of the street where I lived. Very dangerous location...
>Mary Brown's and and Dairy Queen. *sigh*

Dangerous is right, I'd never leave my block if those two were around!
Very warm and fuzzies about DQ, I can remember when it took two hands
to hold a big dipped cone and an hour to polish off a Peanut Buster Parfait!

Cheers,

TD

Oh, but folks lately I have been spotted
With a Big Mac on my breath
Stumbling into a Colonel Sanders
With a face as white as death
from Larry Groce's "Junk Food Junkie"

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 28, 2001, 10:51:48 AM11/28/01

myst...@hotmail.com (Jamie M.) wrote:

>They are still north of the city, in Aurora. Used to be at the end of
>the street where I lived. Very dangerous location... Mary Brown's and
>and Dairy Queen. *sigh*

Canada had *dangerous* locations? I always thought that the only danger you
faced was falling through some thin ice, floating away on a loose iceberg,
or encountering a hungry polar bear, none of which I assume occur in the
greater Toronto metropolitan area. Gee, you learn something new every day.

Tom

Jamie M.

Nov 28, 2001, 11:08:14 AM11/28/01
On 28 Nov 2001 09:51:48 -0600, <antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Canada had *dangerous* locations? I always thought that the only danger you
>faced was falling through some thin ice, floating away on a loose iceberg,
>or encountering a hungry polar bear, none of which I assume occur in the
>greater Toronto metropolitan area. Gee, you learn something new every day.

Sure we do ... and it's all in how you define *dangerous* Tom. :)

I used to live in a small town about an hour north of the Toronto
limits... by a small lake. Several years ago ice fisherman on the lake
got stranded, despite thin ice warnings, and the military helicopters
had to rescue about a hundred of 'em. Good use of public money I'd
say... idiots.

Hungry brown bears are also a big threat this year, especially out
west. Should have let the bears loose on the ice fishermen, taking
care of two problems :)

Jamie

The Wanderer

Naz Reyes

Nov 28, 2001, 5:20:35 PM11/28/01
It does ring a bell, but can't really say that I really remember it.

I know one place that will top that one, though. HOLLY FARMS CHICKEN - the fastfood place!
LOL :-) Anyone remember that one?!

-Naz

Naz Reyes

Nov 28, 2001, 6:01:18 PM11/28/01
I thought about another...does anyone here even remember GINO'S?

I remember lots of weekends eating heroburgers, the GIANT sandwich, and their awesome Fish
sandwich! I'm salivating now!!! Oh, and they also served the famous KFC chicken!

-Naz

Sunshine State

Dec 1, 2001, 6:19:20 AM12/1/01
There is one four miles from me. I don't go there anymore . . . suffice it to

say they can never get any order correct and it's gotten way too expensive.
A burger, fries, and soda will run you nine bucks.

Naz Reyes wrote:

> First off, Red Lobster is NOT a fastfood chain. It's more like a family
> restaurant/bar/diner. Just wanted to get that straight :-)

> Two, the only fastfood seafood chain we have here in Northern
> VA/Washington DC area is Long John Silver. I think we still have Arthur
> Treacher's Fish and Chips here and there, but very few compared to the
> number of 'em in the 80s.
>

> Question: has anyone been to Fuddruckers? We have a few around here
> but I've never been in one.
>

> -Naz
>
> Nanc wrote:
>
> > Cool story Buddy, bet you could write a book. But how *was* the food. We
> > don't have them here in MA.
> > Nanc

Sunshine State

Dec 1, 2001, 6:21:37 AM12/1/01
They have one in New Orleans . . . I watched a voodoo gypsy lady
put a spell on a sleeping/passed out college student in one at 3 a.m.
once. Added atmosphere to the Krystal burger experience.