CBS: 50 Years From Television City

Tiny Dancer

Apr 5, 2002, 11:49:47 AM4/5/02
Press release:

CBS: 50 YEARS FROM TELEVISION CITY

Carol Burnett will host CBS: 50 YEARS FROM TELEVISION CITY,
a new entertainment special celebrating the golden anniversary of
CBSTelevision City, the entertainment industry's oldest studio built
specifically for television, Saturday, April 27 (8:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT)
on the CBS Television Network.

John Ritter ("Three's Company"), Bob Barker ("The Price Is Right"),
Craig Kilborn ("The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn"), Tommy
Smothers ("The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" ), John McCook
("The Bold and the Beautiful") and Melody Thomas Scott ("The Young
and the Restless") are among the stars set to present special segments.

The special will delve into seven genres of programs, hosted by
special celebrity guests, with clips of shows that originated at CBS
Television City in Hollywood. These include situation comedies
("All in the Family," "The Jeffersons"), presented by Ritter; dramas
("Playhouse 90," six episodes of "The Twilight Zone"); variety shows
("The Judy Garland Show," "The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour," "The
Carol Burnett Show"), presented by Smothers; talk shows ("The Mike
Douglas Show," "The Merv Griffin Show," "The Late, Late Show with
Craig Kilborn" ), presented by Kilborn; game shows ("The Price is Right,"
"Hollywood Squares," "The $25,000 Pyramid" ), presented by Barker;
soap operas ("The Bold and the Beautiful," "The Young and the
Restless"), presented by McCook and Scott, and specials/miscellaneous
events ("George Burns' 95th Birthday Celebration," "Survivor" finales).

The "CBS Scrapbook" segment of the show will reveal photos and
footage of the creation of CBS Television City. Before becoming the
world's most famous television studio, the intersection of Beverly
Boulevard and Fairfax Avenue was a 25-acre area of land that stood
adjacent to Los Angeles' famous Farmer's Market (which still exists)
and to Gilmore Field, home of the Hollywood Stars baseball team.

Viewers will get a glimpse back in time to Nov. 15, 1952, when the
opening of the studio was celebrated with a televised gala featuring
Jack Benny, Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, George Burns, Gracie Allen and
Art Linkletter, among others.

Viewers will also get to snoop through the CBS prop and scenery
department, where such famous pieces as the original lamppost from
"The Judy Garland Show" and the walls from "All in the Family" are
stored. They'll roam through the building and learn about the history
of CBS Television City through the stars and the programs shot there
and hear from some current CBS employees for whom Television City
has been a second home since its inception.

Carol Burnett shot her own show at Television City -- "The Carol Burnett
Show," for which she won five Emmy Awards. Burnett's television credits
also include "The Jack Paar Show, " The Garry Moore Show," the movie
"The Marriage Fool" and the specials "CBS: The First 50 Years," "Men,
Movies and Carol," "The Carol Burnett Show: Show Stoppers," which was
the top-rated entertainment special this season, and landmark musical
hours with Julie Andrews, all on the Network. Her feature film credits include
"Once Upon a Mattress," "Annie," "The Four Seasons" and "Pete 'n Tillie."

CBS Television City was introduced to the nation in 1952. In 1948, CBS
executives Dr. Frank Stanton and Howard Meegan commissioned an
architectural firm to build a " Television City," as feature film studios were
no longer meeting the technical and production requirements of the television
industry. The facility, to be built specifically for television, was to be large
and centralized, but flexible enough to accommodate the medium's
ever-evolving production needs, and eventually, to serve as a broadcast
facility. It also needed to have room for large television audiences. In the
end, the resulting complex became one of television's finest production
facilities and is still considered a model of efficiency.

CBS: 50 YEARS FROM TELEVISION CITY is being produced by Jeff
Margolis Productions, in association with CBS Productions. Jeff Margolis
("The Academy Awards," "The SAG Awards") is the executive producer;
Mick McCullough ("The SAG Awards," "The First Family's Holiday Gift to
America: A Tour of the White House"), Gloria Fujita-O'Brien ("The SAG
Awards," "Miss America Pageant") and Dave Levisohn are the producers.
Alan Carter ("The First Family's Holiday Gift to America: A Tour of the
White House," "Quincy Jones - The First 50 Years") is directing the
special from a script from Stephen Pouliot ("Concert for New York City,"
"The Primetime Emmy Awards") and Gail Honigberg ("Alice," "Eight is
Enough").

Cheers,

TD

All right! It's time for ABC's TGIF lineup!
Lis, when you get a little older, you'll learn that Friday is
just another night between NBC's Must-See-Thursday and
CBS' Saturday night Crap-a-Rama.
Lisa and Bart Simpson

Webmistress of the official a.c.u '70s site
http://the70s.cjb.net

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_Dancer/index.html

The Wanderer

Apr 5, 2002, 1:34:57 PM4/5/02
Yeah but the Garry Moore Show was broadcast from New York. Like all the Live
specials like the plays that were done during the '50s. Almost all game
shows were taped in New York up until the western drift in the mid '60s. We
used to play hooky, buy a bottle of wine and go to the studios and pick up
tickets back in the '60s. You could go to a show on the same day that you
picked up tickets, and many times you got to sit there through a whole weeks
taping, all in one day.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/thewanderer315/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"There are certain sections in New York, major, that I wouldn't advise you
to try to invade.' "
Humphrey Bogart as Rick-in "Casablanca"- to nazi officer.

"The making of an American begins at the point where he himself rejects all
other ties, any other history, and himself adopts the vesture of his adopted
land."
James Baldwin
"Tiny Dancer" <ti...@look.ca> wrote in message

The Wanderer

recsec

Apr 5, 2002, 3:25:47 PM4/5/02

> And let's NOT forget The Ed Sullivan Show and four foreign boys who
appeared
> on it.

Yeah really now!! I mean who, that saw THAT show, could ever for get the
performance by The Kalishnikov Brothers?? I mean the way they spun those
plates on those sticks!!! Magnificent!! Ed was impressed.
Billy

Sandy

Apr 5, 2002, 5:11:10 PM4/5/02
> And let's NOT forget The Ed Sullivan Show and four foreign boys who
>appeared
>> on it.
>

>Yeah really now!! I mean who, that saw THAT show, could ever for get the
>performance by The Kalishnikov Brothers?? I mean the way they spun those
>plates on those sticks!!! Magnificent!! Ed was impressed.
>Billy

Yah, I just couldn't WAIT to see The Kalishnikov Brothers!!! I remember just
where I was too! Sitting on the parlor floor with my Mom, Dad, sister and
brother. Me and all my friends talked about it for WEEKS afterwards!! Ahhhh,
the memories.... ;)

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

Beatlfilms

Apr 5, 2002, 8:42:00 PM4/5/02
Sandy said:

And remember when there was that crazy rumor that one of them had died and was
replaced by an exact double? And the brothers were supposedly putting little
clues on those spinning plates? Ah, them was the days... :-)

Shawn

Sandy

Apr 6, 2002, 12:50:55 PM4/6/02
>That's right Shawn! I remember thinking that was SO creepy!! Glad it was just
a hoax. :)

Dixon Hayes

Apr 6, 2002, 2:28:08 PM4/6/02

Yeah, and the one that was supposed to be replaced appeared one night in 1969
in bare feet, dressed in white. I think he even dropped a plate that night.
Man, that gave me the creeps.

Dixon
===========
"Listen, you'll find compelsion nuts all over!"
--Barney Fife

Classic Hollywood Squares: http://www.classicsquares.com

LizzieZ

Apr 6, 2002, 5:11:01 PM4/6/02
>And remember when there was that crazy rumor that one of them had died and
>was
>replaced by an exact double? And the brothers were supposedly putting little
>clues on those spinning plates?

But only when they spun them backwards, right? ;-)

Liz

The Wanderer

recsec

Apr 6, 2002, 8:21:27 PM4/6/02

"Beatlfilms" <beatl...@aol.com> wrote in message

I remember that Shawn. But refresh my memory here. Was the death rumor
before or after Dimitri Kalishnikov had told a reporter in an interview that
they were more popular than the Flying Karamozovs. Boy that statement damn
near wrecked their whole career didn't it??
Billy

Jeff Troutman

Apr 6, 2002, 8:57:21 PM4/6/02

Nah. People started buying their plates just so they could burn them.
They made millions.

Jeff Troutman

Dixon Hayes

Apr 6, 2002, 10:49:48 PM4/6/02
Liz wrote:

>But only when they spun them backwards, right? ;-)

I didn't notice, I was paying attention to the saga involving the second one
from the left and his girlfriend, who I think broke up the group. She had him
spinning different color plates and everything, just to be different.

Beatlfilms

Apr 7, 2002, 3:50:58 AM4/7/02
Dixon Hayes said:

>Liz wrote:
>
>>But only when they spun them backwards, right? ;-)
>
>I didn't notice, I was paying attention to the saga involving the second one
>from the left and his girlfriend, who I think broke up the group. She had
>him
>spinning different color plates and everything, just to be different.

Ah, yes... the girlfriend. An avant-garde bikini waxer from Samoa I believe she
was. It is a matter of debate as to her exact contribution to the brothers'
break up, but she did indeed have a profound effect on the second one from the
left. Who could forget such shenanigans as their Led-In For Peace; where they
encouraged everybody to stay at home for a week and listen to Led Zeppelin?

Shawn

Beatlfilms

Apr 7, 2002, 4:03:01 AM4/7/02
Jeff Troutman said:

>"recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote:
>> I remember that Shawn. But refresh my memory here. Was the death rumor
>> before or after Dimitri Kalishnikov had told a reporter in an interview
>that
>> they were more popular than the Flying Karamozovs. Boy that statement damn
>> near wrecked their whole career didn't it??
>
>Nah. People started buying their plates just so they could burn them.
>They made millions.

Not only that, but Dimitri was misquoted to begin with. He never said that the
brothers were more *popular* than the Flying Karamozovs-- just that they were
more *punctual* than the Flying Karamozovs; the Kalishnikov Brothers harboring
an obsession being on time.

Shawn

Jeff Troutman

Apr 7, 2002, 10:49:11 AM4/7/02

And yet, could there be a more logical reason for why Zep became so popular?

I'll always remember their "Ward Is Over If You Want It". The idea that
world peace could be brought about by convincing Hugh Beaumont to quit
acting. It was certainly a unique approach to sorting out the confusion of
the times.

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

Apr 7, 2002, 11:16:31 AM4/7/02

An obsession that would eventually hasten the end of the partnership, as
documented in the film "Let It Spin".

That the Karamazovs *were* habitually late is almost never brought up
anymore. Some thought it was just variety-show-star hubris, others
snickered that the Karamozovs did their more interesting "flying" backstage.
But even that had it's positive side: Without the Karamazovs failing to show
up for an Andy Williams taping, a pair of struggling dancers from
Clarksdale, Ukraine may never have gotten their big break, and the US may
never have been exposed to the energy and grace of Ike & Tina Barishnikov.

Jeff Troutman

recsec

Apr 7, 2002, 5:23:00 PM4/7/02

"Jeff Troutman" <yourhe...@starpower.net> wrote in message

> "Beatlfilms" <beatl...@aol.com> wrote:
> > Jeff Troutman said:

> > >that
> damn
> > >
> > >Nah. People started buying their plates just so they could burn them.
> > >They made millions.
> >
> > Not only that, but Dimitri was misquoted to begin with. He never said
that
> the
> > brothers were more *popular* than the Flying Karamozovs-- just that they
> were
> > more *punctual* than the Flying Karamozovs; the Kalishnikov Brothers
> harboring
> > an obsession being on time.
> >

> An obsession that would eventually hasten the end of the partnership, as
> documented in the film "Let It Spin".

Yeah the scene where Gregoryivich is lambasting Geordey cos he didn't like
how he spinning his plate is very telling of the times they were going thru.

My favorite movie of all the ones they made was their 1st one. A Hard Plate.
It was so great!!! Dimitri was so non chalant in it. And the fact that it
was filmed in beige & not black & white or in color was very unique. I don't
think they had to big a budget for it tho. Seeing as how it was basically
the cameraman following them around their hometown of Kiev on a seemingly
never ending search for the perfect plate. Then of course they later made
that tripped out movie The Unexplained Wizardry Of Plates. It's weird that
their movie career began shortly after their meeting with the legendary Karl
Wallenda who turned them onto silverware. After that they REALLY took off.
Spinning rubber plates & even weapons. Why they were getting so experimental
that they even let Vladimir spin a few plates on his own. Something they
rarely let him do.
Billy

Jeff Troutman

Apr 7, 2002, 9:38:38 PM4/7/02

You knew it was getting bad during the rehearsals for "The White China",
when Gregoryivich would spin Geordy's plates after poor Geordy had left for
the day. Geordy found out and quit on the spot. They talked him back,
though, and Gregoryivich himself bought Geordy an entire table set as a
welcoming back present.

Jeff Troutman

Sandy

Apr 8, 2002, 1:04:28 PM4/8/02

Oh god, I thought they were doomed!
I had such fond memories of "Rubber Bowls" it made me sad to see what had
happened to them :( I know most people have the opinion the "Salt n Pepper
Shakers" was their most daring of all their acts, but I just love the smooth
spinning of Rubber Bowls. They had it all together back then **sigh**.

It was around "The White China" time, and correct me if I'm wrong, that
Dimitris girlfriend tried spinning herself with him, wasn't it?? GOD that was
awful! She would just wobble a plate then let it crash and the BOTH thought
that was so cool!
Thank goodness he didn't do **too** much of that!

NP: Ain't No Woman Like The One I've Got

The Wanderer

Beatlfilms

Apr 9, 2002, 3:36:52 AM4/9/02
Sandy said:

>Oh god, I thought they were doomed!
>I had such fond memories of "Rubber Bowls" it made me sad to see what had
>happened to them :( I know most people have the opinion the "Salt n Pepper
>Shakers" was their most daring of all their acts, but I just love the smooth
>spinning of Rubber Bowls. They had it all together back then **sigh**.

Plus, "Rubber Bowls" was around the last act the brothers created before they
admitted publicly to enjoying the occasional dash of oregano. In fact, they
often came to rehearsals seasoned. But, you're right, by "Salt n Pepper
Shakers" they had got more experimental; and I think it was due largely to the
increased amounts of oregano in their diets.

Shawn

The Wanderer

Beatlfilms

Apr 9, 2002, 7:23:22 PM4/9/02
The Wanderer said:

>I thought it was their experimentation with MSG. You know the kinds of
>effects and flashbacks that it can cause.

You are, of course, correct. The oregano use lead to MSG, and then the
brothers' plate spinning got *way* funky. It was sad, really, when even MSG
wasn't enough for Dimitri, and he later got hooked on horse radish after the
break up.

Shawn

Sandy

Apr 9, 2002, 7:43:57 PM4/9/02
> Sandy said:
>>
>> >Oh god, I thought they were doomed!
>> >I had such fond memories of "Rubber Bowls" it made me sad to see what had
>> >happened to them :( I know most people have the opinion the "Salt n
>Pepper
>> >Shakers" was their most daring of all their acts, but I just love the
>smooth
>> >spinning of Rubber Bowls. They had it all together back then **sigh**.
>>
>> Plus, "Rubber Bowls" was around the last act the brothers created before
>they
>> admitted publicly to enjoying the occasional dash of oregano. In fact,
>they
>> often came to rehearsals seasoned. But, you're right, by "Salt n Pepper
>> Shakers" they had got more experimental; and I think it was due largely to
>the
>> increased amounts of oregano in their diets.
>>
>> Shawn
>

>I thought it was their experimentation with MSG. You know the kinds of
>effects and flashbacks that it can cause.

Really??? I thought it was just Oregan at that point. I didn't realize they
had gotten into Chinese food so soon! Well, it produced some memorable spins
anyway...