Pink Floyd

nrbq

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
Ya know I never anyone say anything about Pink Floyd in this group.
They had an astounding effect on my life. Anybody agree??

Bill McKenzie

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
I listened to Dark Side of the Moon so many times I still know every
word to every song. I agree some of their lyrics I can relate to now
more than ever. How about "Time"????

aleen

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
agreed! pink floyd has made me the person i am today, scary.

aleen the karaoke queen :-)

Jeff Troutman

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
"nrbq" <nrbq...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ya know I never anyone say anything about Pink Floyd in this group.
> They had an astounding effect on my life. Anybody agree??

OK, I agree that they had an astounding effect on your life. :)

The first Floyd set I heard all the way through was _Ummagumma_ , which was
the first full-scale psychedelic (not psychedelic pop) music I'd ever heard.
Not all of it was great, but the good stuff (particularly the live side) was
amazing.

Jeff Troutman

doug holverson

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00

> From: nrbq <nrbq...@yahoo.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.culture.us.1970s
> Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:57:04 -0700
> Subject: Pink Floyd

> Ya know I never anyone say anything about Pink Floyd in this group.
> They had an astounding effect on my life. Anybody agree??

No

:b

DGH

Babeuh

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
i agree completely.
But i prefer the Wall album. There's a atmosphere, so strange. A sadness, a
non-life.
"We don't need drugs to calm me"
"The wall was to high as you can see"
"open your arms i'm coming home"
Babeuh.

And what think about the doors? Monkeys? Velvet Underground?
Twice are alternative rock, isn't it?

doug holverson <dhol...@netins.net> a écrit dans le message :
B60B5A01.2F53D%dhol...@netins.net...

Bill McKenzie

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
That is a terrible memory for you. I know how certain songs can bring you right
back to the moment and you can actually feel like you're there again. I'm sorry
for your loss but maybe the point of the song is to make the best of the time
YOU have?....
Nancy
8/60

doug holverson wrote:

> > From: Bill McKenzie <bill...@mediaone.net>
> > Newsgroups: alt.culture.us.1970s

> > Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 23:57:41 GMT
> > Subject: Re: Pink Floyd
> >
> > I listened to Dark Side of the Moon so many times I still know every
> > word to every song. I agree some of their lyrics I can relate to now
> > more than ever. How about "Time"????
> >

> I was woke up by the AOR station playing that on the clock-radio during the
> time my dad was dying in the hospital. I felt like taking a ball bat to the
> thing.
>
> DGH

doug holverson

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00

> From: "Babeuh" <Bab...@wanadoo.fr>
> Newsgroups: alt.culture.us.1970s
> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 20:25:56 +0200
> Subject: Re: Pink Floyd

> i agree completely.
> But i prefer the Wall album. There's a atmosphere, so strange. A sadness, a
> non-life.
> "We don't need drugs to calm me"
> "The wall was to high as you can see"
> "open your arms i'm coming home"
> Babeuh.

To me, The Wall drips with too much of what's wrong with Floyd after
Barrett. Too little humor, too overstated, too mopey. I mean they're all
millionaire rock stars with a bazillion fans, what do they have to be mopey
about? Drive that Rolls Royce in front of that abusive teacher until they're
green with envy and get over it.

Least they're not as flamboyantly pseudo-intellectual as some other Prog
Rockers.

BTW- I do have the Interstellar Overdrive MP3 on my HD. I have a comic-book
looking for a publisher named after the Camper Van Beethoven remake of that
song.

> And what think about the doors?

Cooooo-el.

> Monkeys?

Too pop....

>Velvet Underground?

Got the boxed set. White Light/White Heat is probably my favorite rock
LP/CD.

> Twice are alternative rock, isn't it?

Alt was more fun and more inspired when it was overlooked and underrated,
back in the '80s ands '70s. Now you have "alt" stations playing the same 20
"alt" songs off this week's "alt" chart.

DGH

Naz Reyes

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
In article <10l9uss59b0qqev09...@4ax.com>,

nrbq <nrbq...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ya know I never anyone say anything about Pink Floyd in this group.
> They had an astounding effect on my life. Anybody agree??

I agree, but "The Wall" was the one that did it to me.

"The Wall" was something I could relate to in a lot of ways, and when I
heard it, I was totally blown away.

I'm not gonna get into details about how it changed my life, but the
album SAVED me from going insane :)

-Naz

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

hughkeller

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
I heard cuts from Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall so many times on the
radio, I kind of got burned out. I always preferred Wish You Were Here and
Animals.

--
Hugh Keller

"I can't stand cheap people. It makes me real mad when
someone says something like 'Hey, when are you going to pay
me that hundred dollars you owe me?' or 'Do you have that
fifty dollars you borrowed?' Man, quit being so cheap!"
- Jack Handey

a_nate...@my-deja.com

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
In article <B60B89D8.2F572%dhol...@netins.net>,
doug holverson <dhol...@netins.net> wrote:

> To me, The Wall drips with too much of what's wrong with Floyd after
> Barrett.

Agreed.

The real creme de crap was that tour in the eighties without Waters.

Come on guys! It's over for crying out loud!

doug holverson

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00

Tank

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
At our wedding reception we played side 1
of "Dark Side of the Moon" as the last music
at the reception.

--
Tank
"Remember to pillage before you burn"

pausto

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
nrbq wrote:

> Ya know I never anyone say anything about Pink Floyd in this group.
> They had an astounding effect on my life. Anybody agree??

Hey nr, hey group,
Meddle was the first Floyd album I ever heard. Music was definitely different
for me after that. I reEfer to it as the year I stopped listening to GFR :)
That same summer (71? 72?) I was fortunate enough to see them at Merriweather
in Maryland, when they toured after the Dark Side of the Moon Album was
released. Great show, what I remember of it. Some images of Gilmour playing the
guitar will stay with me till I die.
Dark Side of the Moon, Meddle, Umma Gumma, Relics, Sauserfull of Secrets, are
some of my fav's. Animals and the Wall ar some of my least fave's, but there's
gobs of great music scattered throughout all of their albums. I'm still looking
for the disco cover of "Have a Cigar" Some one did during the disco dilemma.
Does anyone remember this?

Paul
NP(now playing): Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill

Naz Reyes

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
In article <sue5ig2...@corp.supernews.com>,

At a wedding reception???! Wow! Times definitely HAVE changed! LOL.

-Naz