Screw all of you that didn't like this film! I loved AVP!!!!

Sam Clegg

Aug 29, 2004, 1:38:00 PM8/29/04
What the hell did you guys expect? A remake of Alien or something? The
film followed the original comic to a T! The only thing different was
that they changed the setting. People who never read the comic, of
course that had some problems with it, because they didn't understand
why the woman and the Predator teamed up. It's all in the comic boys.
Yes, the film was short and PG13, but blame the Fox, not the director.
There will be a longer Rated R version out this year, so that should
make us all happy. The film was pure comic book action all the way and
a lot of fun. The story they did have was solid and had plenty of
intrigue. I was involved the whole way through, plus I thought they
left it wide open for a second film. Can't understand what all the
fuss is over this film, when you have shit like Van Helsing, Riddick
and Thunderbirds out this summer.

Samwise out!

Adam Cameron

Aug 29, 2004, 5:18:17 PM8/29/04
> People who never read the comic, of
> course that had some problems with it, because they didn't understand
> why the woman and the Predator teamed up. It's all in the comic boys.

This sentence might sum up why some people might think it's a crap movie.
I don't think it's much of a recommendation that one ought to read a *comic
book* of movie plot first, to understand the finer points of it.

Adam

ADWatts

Aug 29, 2004, 5:53:15 PM8/29/04
Sam Clegg stated:

> > People who never read the comic, of
> > course that had some problems with it, because they didn't understand
> > why the woman and the Predator teamed up. It's all in the comic boys.

Adam Cameron replied:

> This sentence might sum up why some people might think it's a crap movie.
> I don't think it's much of a recommendation that one ought to read a
*comic
> book* of movie plot first, to understand the finer points of it.

Amen.

And furthermore, don't use this "comic book" crap as an excuse
for a film not living up to a "standard". I thoughly enjoyed all 4
films in both the Spiderman (my fav comic as a kid) and Blade
series so far, and the Hulk was at least trying to be something
substantial. Another great comic book film that comes to mind
is The Crow. It can be done.

Then you have a film like Darkman which is based on that type
of genre which is better than all of them.

Don't make excuses -- tell me 3 things they did *well* in AvP
and I'll shut up about the whole thing.

As for the offer for a screw -- no thanks, I have a headache.

I'm glad (really) that you enjoyed the film. Have a great day!

ADWatts
"I wish I was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off"
-- Pearl Jam

Glen A. RITCHIE

Aug 29, 2004, 7:33:07 PM8/29/04
"ADWatts" <adw...@graphic-designer.com> wrote in message

> As for the offer for a screw -- no
> thanks, I have a headache.

It wouldn't be a headache you'd have if Sam made good on his offer, Ahmed!

--
Please remember to visit
http://www.thehungersite.org

Jax

Aug 29, 2004, 8:19:33 PM8/29/04

"Sam Clegg" <sam...@csufresno.edu> wrote in message

10 years or so ago they were publishing actual books about the premise of
AvP. There were about 6 or 7 of them out there.

BsT

ADWatts

Aug 29, 2004, 9:35:55 PM8/29/04
I said in reply to the thread title:

> > As for the offer for a screw -- no
> > thanks, I have a headache.

Glen A. RITCHIE replied:

> It wouldn't be a headache you'd have if Sam made good on his offer, Ahmed!

Indeed. :-P

But really, I have one bitchin' headache which has lasted
more than a week. So I was only half kidding.

Glen A. RITCHIE

Aug 29, 2004, 11:05:38 PM8/29/04

> > It wouldn't be a headache you'd have
> > if Sam made good on his offer,
> > Ahmed!
>
> Indeed. :-P
>
> But really, I have one bitchin' headache > which has lasted more than a
week.

I'm tempted to say what's her name, but after a week, that's actually
concerning.

Does any medication help?

Perhaps a brain scan is in order (especially if you happened to sustain a
concussion)?

ADWatts

Aug 30, 2004, 10:57:37 AM8/30/04
I said:

> > But really, I have one bitchin' headache > which has lasted more than a
> week.

Glen A. RITCHIE

> I'm tempted to say what's her name, but after a week, that's actually
> concerning.

I've had these "migraines" for as long as I can remember.
I'd miss *weeks* of school as a kid because I was so
sick.

Personally I think it has a lot to do with stress. Sometimes
I can go months without a really bad headache hitting me,
and at other times, like now, it's a rare day that I don't
have one. Generally it's just annoying (I guess I've gotten
somewhat use to them), but when they get *really* bad I
can hardly stand it.

> Does any medication help?

Tried lots of meds when I was a kid. None helped in any
reliable way, and most only gave me more problems --
trouble sleeping, cotton mouth, nightmares, etc.

Exedrin (or equivilant generic brands) is the only thing that
can knock them down with any consistancy. But I don't
like to take it too often, because you can get a kind of
"backlash" effect and actually make things worse once
in a while.

> Perhaps a brain scan is in order (especially if you happened to sustain a
> concussion)?

Had one once -- nothing. No concussions, that I *remember*.

Again, I just think that I'm overly sensitive to stress. Right now is
not a fun time to be me, but you just do what you have to do.
Get through one day, and get ready to face the next . . .

Thanks for the concern. Have a great day!

Ron M.

Aug 30, 2004, 6:01:27 PM8/30/04
"ADWatts" <adw...@graphic-designer.com> wrote in message news:<ffsYc.66714$9d6.60983@attbi_s54>...

> > This sentence might sum up why some people might think it's a crap movie.
> > I don't think it's much of a recommendation that one ought to read a
> *comic
> > book* of movie plot first, to understand the finer points of it.
>
> Amen.
>
> And furthermore, don't use this "comic book" crap as an excuse
> for a film not living up to a "standard".

Agreed. Uh.... there are several tens of millions of viewers out there
that don't even KNOW there's an AVP comic book, and wouldn't read it
if there were. I'm an old Aliens fan, and I had two big problems with
this movie:

1. The PG-13 rating. Oh, please. As an R, could have been a real
spine-chiller, but some industry beancounter wanted it toned down to
the level of a Saturday morning cartoon. What a fargin' waste. The
instant that decision was made, this movie was doomed.

2. The lead actress. Oh, gag me with political correctness. She's
black. Female. Looks like a Victoria's Secret model. I winced every
time she tried to sound "tough."

Picture this movie made with an R rating, with somebody like Tom
Berenger in the lead role.

Instead, this was a classic, boring "well made bad movie." It has all
the elements of a potentially good flick, but falls flat because of
its typical manufactured, "factory-made" artificiality that so many
movies have these days.

Ron M.

Sam Clegg

Sep 1, 2004, 8:48:14 PM9/1/04
Oh shut the hell up, I said that it was based on the comic, but I
didn't say that it was suppose to be good because of it. Look , the
moive followed the comic to a T, except that the setting was changed.
The woman in the comic was Chinese, but African American in the film,
still she was fine. The movie was a comic book film, through and
through. What the hell did you expect? The longer version of the film
will come out in the late fall, but this PG13 version was a lot of
fun. How did it fall flat, it was following the comic? This movie
surpised me, and I loved it. You guys might try some Japanese horror
film like the Ring or Dark Water, they might be more to you liking.
Also, try Azumi, Skyhigh or Moon over Tao. I say this, because there
are other films out there, beside Alien films. I hardly post here,
because I know there is a lot more out there.

Samwise out!

ADWatts

Sep 1, 2004, 11:23:54 PM9/1/04
Sam Clegg vomited:

> Oh shut the hell up,

Testy, testy . . .

> I said that it was based on the comic, but I
> didn't say that it was suppose to be good because of it. Look , the
> moive followed the comic to a T, except that the setting was changed.
> The woman in the comic was Chinese, but African American in the film,
> still she was fine. The movie was a comic book film, through and
> through. What the hell did you expect?

I expect people to be *creative*. Gee, is that really so much to ask
from people claiming to be writers, directors, animators, set designers,
actors, etc?

> The longer version of the film
> will come out in the late fall, but this PG13 version was a lot of
> fun. How did it fall flat, it was following the comic?

Again, the comic slant is no excuse. Spiderman followed the comic
origins and was entertaining, engaging, and *smart*.

How did AvP fall flat? Let me count the ways:

1. Actors who looked bored to death.
2. Shoddy special effects.
3. Action/fight scenes that are unviewable.
4. A miserably bleak setting.
5. Both adversaries are "dumb" by the standards set by the original films.
6. Exposition which was unbearably contrived.
7. Did I mention yet how bad the acting was . . .
8. Ridiculous ending worse than the mysterious egg from Alien3.
9. No original additions to the mythology for either race.
10. Dialouge which was tedious at best.
11. Lame/recycled one-liners.
12. Having to watch Lance struggle through this piece of shite.

There's a dozen. want more?

Where are the three solid "good" points for AvP I asked for?

> This movie
> surpised me, and I loved it.

Good for you. really. I'm happy you can lower your standards that
far to enjoy the film. Actually, I *envy* you. Like I said, maybe
I'm getting too old for this "new" kind of sci-fi/horror filmmaking.

> You guys might try some Japanese horror
> film like the Ring or Dark Water, they might be more to you liking.
> Also, try Azumi, Skyhigh or Moon over Tao.

"Foreign" films rule. The original Ring was *way* better than the
American version (which was excellent as well). See the Japanese
The Eye before you go see the American film being planned right
now. Hollywood loves to rip everyone else off, because they seldom
have anything original to make themselves. Case in point: AvP.

>I say this, because there
> are other films out there, beside Alien films. I hardly post here,
> because I know there is a lot more out there.

That's a real head-scratcher. You can see the beauty in the films
you list above, but you can not see AvP for what it really is.

I'll get off this soapbox when someone gives me an intelligent
response on how AvP was anywhere near a "good" film.
Seriously. Give me a well-reasoned argument with details on
how this movie actually succeeds in *any* area, and I'll gladly
shut up whether I agree with you or not. No *excuses* accepted.

I, for one, am tired of Hollywood pandering to the lowest common
denominator. Yes, I shell out the bucks because I love movies, but
that *gives* me the right to voice my opinion. At some point we
*all* have to let Hollywood know that enough is enough, and a
good start is *not* accepting shit like this. Don't excuse these
people for taking advantage of the die-hard fans.

Covenant

Sep 2, 2004, 1:43:06 PM9/2/04

> Oh shut the hell up,

Errmmm...

Not the easiest way to indulge in a newsgroup then???

--
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Covenant

Sep 2, 2004, 1:44:13 PM9/2/04

"Sam Clegg" <sam...@csufresno.edu> wrote in message
> The longer version of the film will come out in the late fall,

Where's your source for this information?

> I hardly post here, because I know there is a lot more out there.

One does not discount the other.

;' )

Adam Cameron

Sep 2, 2004, 8:53:12 PM9/2/04
> Oh shut the hell up,

Stop being such a defensive dick.

> I hardly post here,

Well... [nuff said]

> because I know there is a lot more out there.

I bet there are several people who subscribe to and participate in this NG
on a regular basis who could dance little circles around your knowledge of
movies.

Adam

Sam Clegg

Sep 2, 2004, 9:08:58 PM9/2/04
I don't think so! Have you heard of Azumi, Skyhigh and Green Snake?

Samwise out!

Sam Clegg

Sep 2, 2004, 9:23:06 PM9/2/04
Ok, once again this movie is based pretty much on the comic, just the
setting was different. Spider-man was based on quite a few Amazing
Spider-man comics, plus it was it's own original story. Yes, it is
sometimes good, when you can get some ideas from a comic and make a
good movie with it. With AVP, they decided to make a film pretty close
to the original 4 part comic series. Once again, they did a great job
with that adaption, just changed the setting.

The acting was fine. As for the effects, they were solid, plus a lot
better than some films from the 50's. I don't know what you wanted.
Hell, I could tell from the trailers that this was going to be a
straight up action film. I was entertained, besides you should have
known that your weren't going to get a film with the same production
values as you got with Alien or Aliens. Most film series tend to go
down in enjoyabiltiy. This one was a lot better than Alien 3 and
Resurrection. You want really bad film, then try Van Helsing or
Thunderbirds. This film did what it was suppose to do. Let me do you a
favor, don't go see Resident Evil 2. You won't like it, because it's
based on Resident Evil 3 the video game.

>I, for one, am tired of Hollywood pandering to the lowest common
>denominator. Yes, I shell out the bucks because I love movies, but
>that *gives* me the right to voice my opinion. At some point we
>*all* have to let Hollywood know that enough is enough, and a
>good start is *not* accepting shit like this. Don't excuse these
>people for taking advantage of the die-hard fans.

Come on! You know Hollywood is never going to change! That is why I
have been checking out loads of Asian films. Not just Japanese, but
Chinese and Korean films as well. Some guy here said other people know
about a lot more films. Maybe be true, but have you heard of Natural
City or the Swordsman Trilogy. Probably not, but you should check them
out.

Samwise out!

Sam Clegg

Sep 2, 2004, 9:26:45 PM9/2/04

>"Sam Clegg" <sam...@csufresno.edu> wrote in message
>> The longer version of the film will come out in the late fall,
>
>Where's your source for this information?

Check http://movieweb.com/. This is where I got the info for the
longer version AVP!

Samwise out!

ADWatts

Sep 2, 2004, 11:46:46 PM9/2/04
Sam Clegg stated:

> Ok, once again this movie is based pretty much on the comic, just the
> setting was different.

Then the comic was sorely lacking in originality and shame on the
filmmakers for using it so "closely" as a source. I expect *nothing*
from a comic book (OK, so I've heard they are getting better --
maybe so, but it was the glorious 70s since I last read one and
they were certainly dreadful back then compared to "real" literature),
but I *do* expect something from filmmakers no matter what the
source material is.

> Spider-man was based on quite a few Amazing
> Spider-man comics, plus it was it's own original story. Yes, it is
> sometimes good, when you can get some ideas from a comic and make a
> good movie with it.

Maybe my memory is too blurry, but Spiderman was very accurate
to the origins (in comics) that I remember. A little update on a few
things here and there to make it contemporary, but the story-line --
the heart of tale -- pretty damn spot on unless the ole brain is
letting me down. Again!!! :-P

> With AVP, they decided to make a film pretty close
> to the original 4 part comic series. Once again, they did a great job
> with that adaption, just changed the setting.

Never read 'em, and don't care to. So I'm no judge. But (once
more with feeling!) a comic is a comic and a film is a film. Use
the source if you must, but bring it up to the standards of the
medium you are working within.

> The acting was fine.

You really think so? OK . . .

> As for the effects, they were solid,

Ermmm, maybe . . . for craptacular CGI. Give me models *any*
day. Except those horrible things in Alien3, please.

Alien, 25 years old, blows AvP out of the water on FX.

> plus a lot
> better than some films from the 50's.

You are not seriously going to compare effects from the
50's with today are you? Are you?

One movie title:

The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)

It *still* deserves a spot on any Top 10 sci-fi list.

> I don't know what you wanted.

A thought-provoking, entertaining, suspenseful duel between
two of the best "creatures" ever created for film. So-called
"action" was Ok, but not necessary -- for me.

> Hell, I could tell from the trailers that this was going to be a
> straight up action film.

I don't watch trailers if possible. They give too much away.

> I was entertained, besides you should have
> known that your weren't going to get a film with the same production
> values as you got with Alien or Aliens. Most film series tend to go
> down in enjoyabiltiy.

And why is this? Because unless the films were planned from the
beginning, sequals are made with one thought in mind -- "How can
we wring some more money out of this sucker?"

That *doesn't* mean a sequel has to be bad -- it's just an excuse.
The Empire Strikes Back is better film than Star Wars in almost
every respect, although I think Star Wars is still more fun to
watch multiple times. Spiderman 2 is a very good film, building
upon everything that was right about the first movie.

Again, don't bring me excuses to pardon the sins of lazy people.

> This one was a lot better than Alien 3

No way. A3 was a *horrible* script which was "saved" by a
highly talented director and some great acting. It's a flawed
film, no doubt, but it has great moments.

Of course, that's just my view. Most people will agree with you.

> and
> Resurrection.

Again, *terrible* script -- fantastic direction and "feel" which
at least makes it bareable. Too fantasy for a horror series.

> You want really bad film, then try Van Helsing or
> Thunderbirds.

No thank you. I'm not *that* much of a film fan. Van Helsing --
maybe on a really, really boring day. Thunderbirds -- never.
(Shame on Jonathan Frakes!)

> This film did what it was suppose to do.

What was that? Be a generic, dull, unispired, action "flick"?
Is *that* what it was suppose to be? Actually, and sadly,
you're right on that point. I just like to think positive when going
to the movies.

> Let me do you a
> favor, don't go see Resident Evil 2. You won't like it, because it's
> based on Resident Evil 3 the video game.

I *love* the Resident Evil games. RE2 is my 2nd favorite game of
all-time.

Resident Evil (the movie) was OK, but I hoped that it would have
more of the video game's flavor because the games are *cinamatic*!
If number 2 *is* closer to what the games have to offer, I will probably
like it *more*. The games are better "films" than 99% of horror movies
could ever hope to be.

I'm looking forward the Resident Evil 2, and I will be in theater to see,
but thanks for the advice anyhow.

> >I, for one, am tired of Hollywood pandering to the lowest common
> >denominator. Yes, I shell out the bucks because I love movies, but
> >that *gives* me the right to voice my opinion. At some point we
> >*all* have to let Hollywood know that enough is enough, and a
> >good start is *not* accepting shit like this. Don't excuse these
> >people for taking advantage of the die-hard fans.

> Come on! You know Hollywood is never going to change!

Not when people keep making excuses for them . . .

People used to say the same thing about television. But with
ever increasing compitition, especially from cable channels, the
quality has steadily improved.

The more people support international and indie films, the more
Hollywood will *have* to change. And I can see a slight trend
in that direction -- it will just take time. Each *real* movie fan
can play their part by warning casual movie-goers to stay away
from crap like AvP; which is what I'm doing.

Every Alien and Predator fan should see AvP and make up their
own mind. Everyone else should stay away, because if you're
not a fan, there really is *nothing* good in the film.

> That is why I
> have been checking out loads of Asian films. Not just Japanese, but
> Chinese and Korean films as well. Some guy here said other people know
> about a lot more films. Maybe be true, but have you heard of Natural
> City

An OK movie at best. Poor acting and a *total* rip-off of Sir
Ridley Scott's Blade Runner.

> or the Swordsman Trilogy.

Kinda watched them -- I'm not a martial arts film fan.

> Probably not,

Probably. :-)

> but you should check them
> out.

You named two better films before -- The Eye and Dark Water.
Azumi isn't bad for a period piece.

Have you seen Jian Gui (The Eye)? Yes, I messed up and said
Japanese last time -- it's Chinese. Brilliant film!

Or Kuroi Ie -- weird but very good.

What about these decent Asian films: Kairo (Pulse), Uzumaki,
Rasen (Ringu 2 -- just OK, really), Tomie (great concept, falls
apart a bit towards the end), Tomie: Re-Play (thought it was
better than the first), Tomie: Re-birth (average, but intriguing),
Parasite Eve (based on the original novel, not the video game),
Yeogo Goedam, and Seom (The Isle) which is not horror, but
a beautiful film none the less which an Asian movie fans like yourself
should enjoy.

What about French films like Irréversible -- an ultra-violent, mentally
draining movie which is well worth the experience. Or the weird,
but oddly satisfying, Belguim film Man Bites Dog.

Or how about indie films like Donnie Darko, Pi, and the all-time
strangest film (replacing Eraserhead for that title on my list) Begotten.
Yes, entertaining films can still be made in the US! :-)

I could sit here and strain my brain for quality films from all corners
of the world, and from (almost) every single decade of the 20th
century, but I do have other things to do. (Some sleep would be
nice.)

But the point is, if your going to take the time, effort, and
money to *create* something, why not at least try to be *original*
and *creative*. Neither of those elements are present in AvP. I
could forgive the rough spots if there was a shred of evidence
that anyone involved in that film cared about anything other than
lining a few pockets with money by f**king over the die-hard
fans.

I do applaud you for writing a more civil response this time.
Beginning a thread with "Screw all of you"" or a reply with
"Oh shut the hell up" isn't a very samrt idea if you want to be
taken seriously. State or defend your points with some class
and you'll get better replies. Just some friendly advice -- take
it or leave it.

Adam Cameron

Sep 3, 2004, 12:35:22 AM9/3/04
> That *doesn't* mean a sequel has to be bad -- it's just an excuse.
> The Empire Strikes Back is better film than Star Wars in almost
> every respect, although I think Star Wars is still more fun to
> watch multiple times. Spiderman 2 is a very good film, building
> upon everything that was right about the first movie.

I would have thought Aliens would be the obvious candidate here?

(not for me personally, but most people seem to rate it above Alien)

Adam

Adam Cameron

Sep 3, 2004, 12:42:35 AM9/3/04
> I don't think so! Have you heard of Azumi, Skyhigh and Green Snake?

Oh congratulations. You managed to trot out three obscure Asian films.

[slow clap]

And no, I've not heard of them.

Azumi
"...A beautiful young woman is raised from birth with nine other orphans,
to become an assassin. Her name is AZUMI, the ultimate assassin."

Oh *please*.

Sky High
(mentions the words "comic book" in the IMDB writing credits, so that
dismisses any credibility you might be suggesting it has *automatically*,
in my view).

Ching Se (Green Snake) at least sounds interesting.

Adam

ADWatts

Sep 3, 2004, 11:08:13 AM9/3/04
I said:

> > That *doesn't* mean a sequel has to be bad -- it's just an excuse.
> > The Empire Strikes Back is better film than Star Wars in almost
> > every respect, although I think Star Wars is still more fun to
> > watch multiple times. Spiderman 2 is a very good film, building
> > upon everything that was right about the first movie.

Adam Cameron replied:

> I would have thought Aliens would be the obvious candidate here?

Too obvious. I just wanted to use a couple of examples outside of
what most people here have already discussed.

> (not for me personally, but most people seem to rate it above Alien)

Sure, because both movies are fantastic films. One a true classic horror
film, the other one of the best action flicks of all time. Which one is
"better" really depends upon what you want from a movie, although
I still believe that no matter what Alien deserves more respect because
it's more original. If not for Alien, there is no Aliens -- we would've
simply got (at some point) a James Cameron space Marines movie
that probably would been pretty good, but not the classic that it is
with the aliens in it.

Simply talking about *sequels*, there is no film I've ever enjoyed
more than Aliens, with Wrath of Khan and Empire close behind.

Bringing up Star Trek, there were some weak entries, but I believe
that only V is a downright horrible film. I think that Star Trek (along
with perhaps the James Bond films -- I'm not a fan, so I've only
seen a couple) is a good example of how to keep a series going.
Stay true to the core ideas while at least *attempting* to add
something new each time. The Voyage Home is a great comedy,
and I thought that the last one, Nemesis, was pretty good, but
got overlooked.

But yeah, Aliens is a prime example of how to do a sequel *right*.

Covenant

Sep 3, 2004, 3:52:02 PM9/3/04

"Sam Clegg" <sam...@csufresno.edu> wrote in message

"So here it is, from the horses mouth.

About the studio's cutting of the film, which he had no control over, he
said, and I quote, "All of the best scenes were cut." Anderson was obviously
very annoyed at the way the film was released. However, this was not purely
because of the PG-13 limitation, which incidentally, the studio enforced
THREE WEEKS before the release date! It was always going to be R until then.
Part of the reason for the cutting was that some of the effects were not
ready by the time the release date came around. The effects team had very
little time to do anything.

As far as the content that was cut, apparently we see all those who die, die
on screen, but he also said that there is a sub-plot that we will have to
wait for on DVD. Yes there will be an R-rated Director's cut DVD although
they don't know the release date yet. "

INteresting !!!!
But no actual *date* for the *uncut* version, though.

Covenant

Sep 3, 2004, 3:52:54 PM9/3/04

"Adam Cameron" <adam...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

:::blush:::

--
Covenant
A Man With NO Scruples At All !!! ;' )))

Covenant

Sep 3, 2004, 3:57:15 PM9/3/04

> I expect *nothing*
> from a comic book (OK, so I've heard they are getting better --
> maybe so, but it was the glorious 70s since I last read one and
> they were certainly dreadful back then compared to "real" literature),

Oh AHMED !!!

PLEASE find yourself copies of... (in NO order of preference)

Watchmen
The Dark Knight Returns
Preacher (series of graphic novels)
Sandman
Hellblazer

Comics have CHANGED!!!!

--
Covenant

Covenant

Sep 3, 2004, 3:57:35 PM9/3/04

"Adam Cameron" <adam...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Accchhh most people are stupid...

;' ))))

Sam Clegg

Sep 3, 2004, 7:24:33 PM9/3/04

Yes, I know! I am hoping that they will release this *uncut* version
either at the sametime or maybe not too long after the original
version gets released. Maybe release both as a set, but I don't think
so.

Samwise out!

Sam Clegg

Sep 3, 2004, 7:35:26 PM9/3/04
Not obscure, you just don't know about them. Quite a few people know
about these films. Oh please nothing! Instead I would be please if you
see them instead. Azumi is a fantastic film directed by Ryuhei
Kitamura. He is one of Japan's up and coming directors who also did
SkyHigh! Both these films are fantastic. Other films I have are
Natural City, Swordsman Trilogy, Chinese Ghost Story, Hero, Dragon
Inn, My Sassy Girl and X! You want me to keep on going on, because I
can. I let you guess on which ones where animated!

Samwise out!

ADWatts

Sep 3, 2004, 9:26:25 PM9/3/04
I said:

> > I expect *nothing*
> > from a comic book (OK, so I've heard they are getting better --
> > maybe so, but it was the glorious 70s since I last read one and
> > they were certainly dreadful back then compared to "real" literature),

Covenant replied:

> Oh AHMED !!!
>
> PLEASE find yourself copies of... (in NO order of preference)
>
> Watchmen
> The Dark Knight Returns
> Preacher (series of graphic novels)
> Sandman
> Hellblazer
>
> Comics have CHANGED!!!!

Really? That much?

I mean, I don't expect them to live up to a good novel or
anything, but even when I was like ten or eleven they just
got so boring. Is there some real depth to the stories and
characters now?

Not that I don't trust you, you know I do. It's scary how
many things we *do* agree on, but there have been times
we did disagree. Except for Spiderman (I really liked the
emotional struggles Parker went through) there wasn't a
single comic series that kept my interest over time. I loved
*characters* like The Silver Surfer, Daredevil, the Hulk,
and Thor; but they never seemed to have any stories or
settings that particularly interested me.

Give me some good characters in some interesting situations,
and who knows, maybe I'll change my mind. Are any of the
above titles more sci-fi/horror based? If you had to choose
just one, which one should I take a chance on? If I figure out
where a store is in town, I'll take the chance and give one a
try.

Any issue number in particular? I hate jumping into the middle
of a story. Or is one of them available as a complete book?

Let me know, man, and I'll trust your judgement!

Glen A. RITCHIE

Sep 3, 2004, 10:05:12 PM9/3/04
"Covenant" <cove...@joelamb.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> Oh AHMED !!!
>
> PLEASE find yourself copies of... (in
> NO order of preference)
>
> Watchmen
> The Dark Knight Returns
> Preacher (series of graphic novels)
> Sandman

What, no comic by the title Covenant?!

> Hellblazer
>
> Comics have CHANGED!!!!

Actually, most of the comics - <ahem!>, contemporary pictorial literature -
I read in the mid-70s and early 80s were of a fairly high quality.

Pretty well anything that had Steve GERBER'S creative energies behind it
stood head above shoulders over the rest of the crowd:

The Defenders

Destroyer Duck

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Howard The Duck

Man-Thing

Omega The Unknown

Void Indigo

There's many more he's had his hand in then and since, but I can't recall
them all off the top of my head right now.

As an example, how many comics do you know use the word "impinge" in them?

GERBER never insulted the intelligence of his audience, so it wasn't
uncommon to see such words being used in the titles for which he wrote.

Incidentally, that particular word, "impinge", appeared in one panel of
Howard The Duck.

Here's a link to his web site:

http://www.stevegerber.com/

Enjoy!

Covenant

Sep 4, 2004, 5:01:44 AM9/4/04

"Sam Clegg" <sam...@csufresno.edu> wrote in message

> >But no actual *date* for the *uncut* version, though.

> Yes, I know! I am hoping that they will release this *uncut* version
> either at the sametime or maybe not too long after the original
> version gets released. Maybe release both as a set, but I don't think
> so.

;' )

Maybe we'll be lucky here in the UK and get it as a theatrical release !!!

;' ))

Covenant

Sep 4, 2004, 5:03:25 AM9/4/04

"ADWatts" <adw...@graphic-designer.com> wrote in message news:5R8_c.113792

> Give me some good characters in some interesting situations,
> and who knows, maybe I'll change my mind. Are any of the
> above titles more sci-fi/horror based? If you had to choose
> just one, which one should I take a chance on?

Watchmen.

It is just..... perfection...

Dark Knight returns is Batman at 60. (Sounds odd, but trust me... It treats
the characters as *people* not these untouchable Icons. And Supes makes an
appearnce .. as a Government lackey! (After all, in *real* life, wouldn't he
be !!?? ;' ) ))

Covenant

Sep 4, 2004, 5:04:03 AM9/4/04

"Glen A. RITCHIE" <Get_away_from...@aliens.com> wrote in message

> What, no comic by the title Covenant?!

None that *I* know of ! ;' )

ADWatts

Sep 4, 2004, 10:17:28 AM9/4/04
I said:

> > Give me some good characters in some interesting situations,
> > and who knows, maybe I'll change my mind. Are any of the
> > above titles more sci-fi/horror based? If you had to choose
> > just one, which one should I take a chance on?

Covenant

> Watchmen.
>
> It is just..... perfection...
>
> Dark Knight returns is Batman at 60. (Sounds odd, but trust me... It
treats
> the characters as *people* not these untouchable Icons. And Supes makes an
> appearnce .. as a Government lackey! (After all, in *real* life, wouldn't
he
> be !!?? ;' ) ))

I did a little searching on the web last night, and it was Watchmen
that kept coming up as "the best" with Dark Knight a close second.

I must admit that what I read did perk up my interest a bit. I'm still
a little skeptical, but I'm hoping to be nicely surprised. Now to see
what I can find in the area stores, and plan a good escape route
from the bank I'm going to rob . . . :-)

Thanks for the info!

Have a great day!

ADWatts
"I wish I was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off"
-- Pearl Jam

***GO HAWKS!***

David A McIntee

Sep 8, 2004, 9:55:46 AM9/8/04

"ADWatts" <adw...@graphic-designer.com> wrote > > Let me do you a

> > favor, don't go see Resident Evil 2. You won't like it, because it's
> > based on Resident Evil 3 the video game.
>
> I *love* the Resident Evil games. RE2 is my 2nd favorite game of
> all-time.
>
> Resident Evil (the movie) was OK, but I hoped that it would have
> more of the video game's flavor because the games are *cinamatic*!
> If number 2 *is* closer to what the games have to offer, I will probably
> like it *more*. The games are better "films" than 99% of horror movies
> could ever hope to be.
>
> I'm looking forward the Resident Evil 2, and I will be in theater to see,
> but thanks for the advice anyhow.

Resident Evil Apocalypse is better than the first one...

Whether it'll save the series is another matter.

"Everybody wanna go Heaven, but nobody wan' dead!" [Screwface]

Redemption 05 - Hanover International Hotel, Hinckley, February 25-27 2005
http://www.smof.com/redemption

http://www.btinternet.com/~david.mcintee

Currently reading: The Roundheads [Mark Gatiss]

David A McIntee

Sep 8, 2004, 9:55:47 AM9/8/04

> "Sam Clegg" <sam...@csufresno.edu> wrote in message
>
> > >But no actual *date* for the *uncut* version, though.
> > Yes, I know! I am hoping that they will release this *uncut* version
> > either at the sametime or maybe not too long after the original
> > version gets released. Maybe release both as a set, but I don't think
> > so.
>

> ;' )
>
> Maybe we'll be lucky here in the UK and get it as a theatrical release !!!

Nope, according to the BBFC's website we're getting the PG-13 cut, rated 15
over here.

Glen A. RITCHIE

Sep 8, 2004, 10:34:33 AM9/8/04

> "Glen A. RITCHIE" <Get_away_from...@aliens.com> wrote in
message

> > What, no comic by the title Covenant?!
>
> None that *I* know of ! ;' )

Hm-m-m, Covenant as a superhero, I can just imagine it now:

He would have the power to blind his foes, as they are caught in the act of
their evil deeds ...

by dropping his drawers, and exposing the sheer shininess of his smooth and
peachy buttocks!

ADWatts

Sep 8, 2004, 11:11:31 AM9/8/04
I said:

> > I'm looking forward the Resident Evil 2, and I will be in theater to
see,
> > but thanks for the advice anyhow.

David A McIntee replied:

> Resident Evil Apocalypse is better than the first one...
>
> Whether it'll save the series is another matter.

You've seen it?

Just including Jill Valentine this time is already a big impovement
in my book -- especially when played by a babe like Sienna
Guillory.

I also like the idea that the movie is about Alice, Jill, and some
others trying to escape Raccoon City. It feels true to the games'
*survival horror* themes.

However, I think the group is a bit too large for my taste. Although
I'm sure plenty will die along the way (guess a movie like this needs
some "redshirts"), the games are about a couple of people trying
to survive a desperate situation, not a "group". If it was just Alice
and Jill making their way through a metropolis of zombies, I'd have
much higher hopes for the movie because it would force the
filmmakers to be more creative and less predictable -- because
what do you wanna bet they are the only two to survive anyway?

Anyway, it should be a fun time at the movies nonetheless.

Covenant

Sep 9, 2004, 1:32:05 PM9/9/04

"Glen A. RITCHIE" <Get_away_from...@aliens.com> wrote in message
> by dropping his drawers, and exposing the sheer shininess of his smooth
and
> peachy buttocks!

With a cry of...

"FULL MOON !!!!!!"

Aaahhhh I can see it now!!!

(Well.. Not *it*.... I mean.. I'm *sitting* on *it*... I mean....)

Glen A. RITCHIE

Sep 9, 2004, 4:51:20 PM9/9/04

> "Glen A. RITCHIE" <Get_away_from...@aliens.com> wrote in
message

> > by dropping his drawers, and
> > exposing the sheer shininess of his
> > smooth and peachy buttocks!
>
> With a cry of...
>
> "FULL MOON !!!!!!"

Yeah, that'd make a cool battlecry!

> Aaahhhh I can see it now!!!
>
> (Well.. Not *it*.... I mean.. I'm *sitting*
> on *it*... I mean....)

All you need now is an illustrator, and you're all set for immortality in
the pages of ...

Covenant!

ADWatts

Sep 18, 2004, 5:36:55 PM9/18/04
OK, so I saw the film today. The verdict is:

I was a little bit right and a whole lot wrong.

> Just including Jill Valentine this time is already a big impovement
> in my book -- especially when played by a babe like Sienna
> Guillory.

Best thing about the movie. Watching Guillory was worth the $5
all by itself. Am I drooling? :-P

> I also like the idea that the movie is about Alice, Jill, and some
> others trying to escape Raccoon City. It feels true to the games'
> *survival horror* themes.

Nope. Just another witless action film. But at least RE: A has a
few good moments, a bit of talent in the actors, and a great
enemy in Nemesis.

> However, I think the group is a bit too large for my taste. Although
> I'm sure plenty will die along the way (guess a movie like this needs
> some "redshirts"), the games are about a couple of people trying
> to survive a desperate situation, not a "group". If it was just Alice
> and Jill making their way through a metropolis of zombies, I'd have
> much higher hopes for the movie because it would force the
> filmmakers to be more creative and less predictable

Yup, just as I expected. There was no suspense here. Just the
action and violence. <sigh> What, is "suspence" a dirty word
these days? Are attention spans *that* short now?

> -- because
> what do you wanna bet they are the only two to survive anyway?

I guessed wrong. The survival count was surprisingly high for
a "horror" flick.

> Anyway, it should be a fun time at the movies nonetheless.

It was. Thanks to Sienna. But not as much fun as I'd hoped.

Too much "action star" posing from Milla. More dumb one-liners.
Maybe it's just a trend (I only go to action flicks if it has a sci-fi/
horror slant) but I hate the editing in the fight/action sequences;
they're a bit better and easier to follow than AvP, but not much.
And there are a few scenes that are just incredibly stupid.

On the plus side:

There are a couple of sequences I did like a lot. Such as when
Alice runs down the building (silly of course, but cool), and kicks
the asses of half a dozen guards. As I said before, Nemesis is a
pretty good enemy for this kind of movie. Even if it had a predictable
finish, the "showdown" scene was OK.

I don't know. It's a definate turkey, but if you've played the games
it's still a nice little diversion from real life. Could've been *way*
better, could've been worse.

Did I mention that the Jill Valentine character is *hot*? :-)

Have a great day!

ADWatts
"Back to the front, you will do what I say, when I say
Back to the front, you will die when I say, you must die"
-- Metallica, "Disposable Heroes"

Glen A. RITCHIE

Sep 18, 2004, 7:21:57 PM9/18/04

> "Back to the front, you will do what I
> say, when I say
> Back to the front, you will die when I
> say, you must die"
> -- Metallica, "Disposable Heroes"

Isn't it a whole lot less fun to listen to thrash metal if you've got a
brushcut?

I mean, no long hair to shake and spin around your head ...

Glen A. RITCHIE

Sep 18, 2004, 7:28:17 PM9/18/04
"ADWatts" <adw...@graphic-designer.com> wrote in message

> Did I mention that the Jill Valentine
> character is *hot*? :-)

Uh, no ...

but surely you mean the actress, not the character?

Or was she hotter than usual as this particular character (that's Canadian
compromise for you)?

By the way, do you suppose we're only at the early stages of video games
made into films?

How do you suppose this trend will affect everything else being produced at
this moment in time?

Cheers, Ahmed!

ADWatts

Sep 18, 2004, 8:10:37 PM9/18/04
What I threw on my sig:

> > "Back to the front, you will do what I
> > say, when I say
> > Back to the front, you will die when I
> > say, you must die"
> > -- Metallica, "Disposable Heroes"

Glen A. RITCHIE replied:

> Isn't it a whole lot less fun to listen to thrash metal if you've got a
> brushcut?

Thrash is fun no matter what your hairstyle is! Just wish there
were a few true speed metal bands still around . . .

Guess I'm just getting old, but man did the 80's have a lot of
great music! And a hell of a lot of bad, too. :-P

> I mean, no long hair to shake and spin around your head ...

Nah . . . you only do that if you wanna puke . . . :-)

Have a great day!

ADWatts

ADWatts

Sep 18, 2004, 8:48:30 PM9/18/04
I said:

> > Did I mention that the Jill Valentine
> > character is *hot*? :-)

Glen A. RITCHIE replied:

> Uh, no ...

OK, let me tell you see was *hot*!!! :-)

> but surely you mean the actress, not the character?
>
> Or was she hotter than usual as this particular character (that's Canadian
> compromise for you)?

It's a combo thing.

Yeah, I like Sienna Guillory, but I especially like her as a
brunette. (Sorry, *I* don't prefer blondes.) She looks great.

Jill Valentine is a very good video game character. Now I'm not
a geeky fanboy who gets the hots for a woman made of polygons
instead of flesh and blood; I just like seeing strong female
characters in video games and they seem to end up in games I
really enjoy -- Metroid, Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, Suikoden,
Resident Evil, etc.

So, to see a game character I like come to life through a actress
I admire is pure bliss. I'm not a big fan of Jolie (hate the lip implants)
so Laura Croft really didn't thrill me much.

Now, if they'd only get Claire Redfield into one of these RE
movies -- a triple treat . . . :-D

> By the way, do you suppose we're only at the early stages of video games
> made into films?

Probably, since Hollywood needs so much help these days
getting inspiration for movies. The one I'm looking forward
to the most right now is Silent Hill. Suspence is a huge part
of the games, and I hope, hope, hope they make a very
suspenceful film from the source material. I know -- keep
dreaming. And I hope the rumors are right about David
Boreanaz being in the film.

> How do you suppose this trend will affect everything else being produced
at
> this moment in time?

Hard to say. Hollywood is so stagnant right now, I don't
think it really matters. Just look at how many films are
re-makes or based on old TV shows, comics, games, and
"foreign" films that are far superior than what Hollywood
tries to "re-tell" them as. If it's what people want and are
willing to pay for, Hollywood is there to make.

I don't mind them basing films on games any more than
on comic books or TV shows. But you still need to strive
for some quality. Mortal Kombat, Tomb Raider, and
Resident Evil were all OK movies trying to give fans what
they wanted, but there hasn't been a video game movie
that was "good" yet.

In the end, I think it just continues to encourage people to
be lazy. Buy the rights to a property, throw in some token
touches that fans will recognise, fill with standard dialouge
and action scenes, stir well, toss it out to the public, and
watch them lap it up like starving dogs. No need to put
any real effort into it.

That's why I really applaud someone like Sam Raimi who
took the time to make the Spider-Man films the best that
he could. But the thing is, Raimi proved himself in the
genre with Darkman -- an original story that was highly
entertaining. He was perfect for Spider-Man. You need
to find quality people who care about the product. If we
could get a Ridley Scott or a David Fincher to make a
game-film like Silent Hill we'd finally get a great film in
that genre.

I give credit to Paul W.S. Anderson for trying. I really,
do. But I just don't think he has enough talent, especially
as a writer.

Does that kind of answer your question? I tend to ramble.

> Cheers, Ahmed!

Cheers, Glen!

Glen A. RITCHIE

Sep 19, 2004, 12:33:42 AM9/19/04

> Guess I'm just getting old, but man did
> the 80's have a lot of great music! And
> a hell of a lot of bad, too. :-P

Nah, it's nothing to do with age; it's more to do with taste.

You're right - 'even' the punk and heavy metal in those days were at least
even remotely melodic (and hence, memorable).

Granted, there have been some good artists / bands since, but they're very
few and far between.

And like Hollywood, the music industry seems to think that regurgitating old
hat is a good idea ....

> > I mean, no long hair to shake and
> > spin around your head ...
>
> Nah . . . you only do that if you wanna
> puke . . . :-)

Yeah, but then the puke gets stuck in your long hair ...

and thus, the cycle of shaking and spinning your head begins anew, only to
shake and spin the puke out of it!

Autodidact

Sep 19, 2004, 6:35:25 PM9/19/04
I thought the actress playing Jill Valentine had the sexiest hips I've ever
seen on a woman.

Glen A. RITCHIE

Sep 28, 2004, 10:11:06 PM9/28/04
"Ron M." <rmor...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> 2. The lead actress. Oh, gag me with
> political correctness. She's black.
> Female.

So I guess the original casting call for a lead character who was an
African-American Jewish lesbian quadriplegic senior citizen would've been a
bit obvious, then ...