AR on AMC...

Robert

Aug 29, 2003, 9:00:13 PM8/29/03
Man, I gave it 10 minutes and gave up. It only took the breath-ID thing
to push me over the edge this time. ;)

Anyway, here's the opening scene from _my_ Alien5 script....hehehehe.

TITLE: same style as Alien, same type of sounds/music.

ALIEN HOMECOMING

INTERIOR: A Victorian drawing room, apparently smokey from cigars...we might
expect to see Sherlock Holmes in this setting. Faint classic music
(unidentifiable) emenates from an ancient 'Victrola' 78rpm wind-up
phonograph.

C/U: A SNIFTER of brandy rests on a lace DOILEY atop a fine wooden
end-table. SMOKE wafts from a CIGAR in a crystal ASHTRAY. A fine LINEN
NAPKIN hangs half-off the table.

SF/X: ALIEN HISS

C/U: ALIEN HAND

Creepy ALIEN attack music begins building to a crescendo. At the STING:

C/U: the ALIEN hand picks up the CIGAR, knocks off a substantial ash, and
grasps the SNIFTER.

Medium shot: An adult WARRIOR ALIEN is sitting in a wing-back CHAIR
upholstered in RED VELVET. He has a NEWSPAPER folded for one-handed reading.
He SIPS delicately from the SNIFTER with his INNER JAW THINGY, then takes a
PUFF on the CIGAR.

Wide: Another ALIEN in feminine garb is seated across from the first;
between them is a finely appointed COFFEE TABLE. The first ALIEN uses a
LINEN NAPKIN to wipe some slimey drool from his mouth. A third ALIEN in a
French MAID'S COSTUME pours brandy in the SNIFTER.

ALIEN VOICE: an odd combination of castinet-clicking, hissing and soft
whistling. SUBTITLES translate the conversation for us: (App. convo reversal
shots follow:)

MOM ALIEN: "How was work today, dear?"

DAD ALIEN: (exasperated grunt-click-whistle): "Oh, the usual. Inventory the
eggs. Feed the Queen. Recquisition pre-moistened towlettes. You know."

MOM ALIEN: "Dear, you really need to take some time off..."

MUSIC CUE: Marine battle music from 'Aliens'

SFX: Running sounds, pulse-rifle fire

Suddenly, a COLONIAL MARINE bursts through a large picture window, does a
neat somersault, runs through the DRAWING ROOM (trashing the beautiful
COFFEE TABLE) and leaps out through another window. An ALIEN DRONE (SFX from
Aliens) is hot on his heels.

MAID ALIEN leaps back a step and covers her mouth in embarassment.

DAD ALIEN throws SNIFTER at fleeing pair.

"DAMMIT! Elroy! How many times do I have to tell you, DON'T PLAY WITH YOUR
FOOD!"

---

Glen A. RITCHIE

Aug 30, 2003, 11:01:10 AM8/30/03
"Robert" <rdb...@prtcnet.org> wrote in message

As Covvy would tend to say (affect Dundee accent):

"WELL DONE, YOU!!!"

After reading your script, I still have trouble believing that you can't
break into Hollywood ...

why, with a beard like yours, handsome, you should be able to manage on
looks alone ;-) !

--
Please remember to visit
http://www.thehungersite.org

---

Tweek

Aug 30, 2003, 5:26:29 PM8/30/03
I don't think ur an idiot if you see Resurrection. But, if you see
Resurrection and still say you want to see Ripley in Alien 5, then you're a
massive fucking idiot.

Neil Burton

Aug 30, 2003, 4:00:04 PM8/30/03
"Robert" <rdb...@prtcnet.org> wrote in message
> Man, I gave it 10 minutes and gave up. It only took the breath-ID
thing
> to push me over the edge this time. ;)
>
> Anyway, here's the opening scene from _my_ Alien5 script....hehehehe.

ROFLMAO! Vewy funny Dr. Jones.

Neil B

Robert

Aug 30, 2003, 11:16:02 AM8/30/03

"Glen A. RITCHIE" <glenar...@sympatico.ca> wrote

> After reading your script, I still have trouble believing that you can't
> break into Hollywood ...

Back when I sort of had an agent, she asked me to take my novelette,
turn it into a novel and parallel a screen treatment. Dunno what would have
happened. Not to mention if you want to actually do a _script_, who's format
do you use? You can safely dispense with all the camera direction (it's
gonna get tossed anyway unless your name is George Lucas) and just do the
dialogue, but even after all that, and even if it's _good_, you still gotta
know somebody.

> why, with a beard like yours, handsome, you should be able to manage on
> looks alone ;-) !

Stop that!

---

Doom Archvile

Sep 1, 2003, 2:34:53 AM9/1/03
In article <C_24b.13244$nw3.4...@news20.bellglobal.com>, "Glen A. RITCHIE"
<glenar...@sympatico.ca> writes:

>> A third ALIEN, in a French MAID'S COSTUME,

>> pours brandy in the SNIFTER.

Every movie should have a French maid's costume in it somewhere. (Preferably
on a woman.)

Glen A. RITCHIE

Sep 11, 2003, 10:48:02 AM9/11/03

> > After reading your script, I still have
> > trouble believing that you can't
> > break into Hollywood ...
>
> Back when I sort of had an agent,
> she asked me to take my novelette,
> turn it into a novel and parallel a screen
> treatment.

She sounds as wishy-washy as a Canadian, a politician, and *especially* a
Canadian politician!

Geez!

> Dunno what would have happened.

Uh, you'd pro'ly have to do lots 'n lotsa writin'.

> Not to mention if you want to actually do
> a _script_, who's format do you use?
> You can safely dispense with all the
> camera direction (it's gonna get tossed
> anyway unless your name is George
> Lucas)

Yes, and we all know how good ol' George did such a wonderful job with
"Howard The Duck".

> and just do the dialogue, but even after
> all that, and even if it's _good_, you still
> gotta know somebody.

Well, I don't think anyone in Hollywood would ever insist that you actually
have to
*know* them, first ...

but if you get to know (in the ancient Hebrew sense, of course) some
influential folks in *West* Hollywood for about five to ten minutes, then if
you don't finally get somewhere, you might at least get something (in the
clinical sense).

> > why, with a beard like yours,
> > handsome, you should be able to
> > manage on looks alone ;-) !
>
> Stop that!

Sorry, I keep forgetting that you're a "flaming heterosexual"!

Nota Bene:

Apropriating the word 'flaming' from the gay community will cost you huge
royalties, my dear Robert.

However, I am willing to forego compensation if you allow me to give you a
free ...

--
Please remember to visit
http://www.thehungersite.org
to make your free daily donation(s) of
food to the needy. This programme is
paid for by clicking on the advertisers
listed, with the food being delivered
by a highly reputable agency, the United
Nations.

---

Glen A. RITCHIE

Sep 12, 2003, 4:58:42 PM9/12/03
"Glen A. RITCHIE" <Get_away_from...@aliens.com> wrote in message news:<bW%7b.4163$fC5.1...@news20.bellglobal.com>...
... a free photograph of Phyllis DILLER in the nude, just prior to her
many face (and body) lifts!

MUAHAHAHA!!!

Doom Archvile

Sep 13, 2003, 1:51:29 PM9/13/03
In article <bW%7b.4163$fC5.1...@news20.bellglobal.com>, "Glen A. RITCHIE"
<Get_away_from...@aliens.com> writes:

>> Not to mention if you want to actually do
>> a _script_, who's format do you use?
>> You can safely dispense with all the
>> camera direction (it's gonna get tossed
>> anyway unless your name is George
>> Lucas)

>Yes, and we all know how good ol' George did such a wonderful job with
>"Howard The Duck".

I don't think he wrote that (or directed it). He was executive producer, I
think.

The point is: whoever *did* write it probably got all of their camera direction
tossed out. (And he was probably shot after the movie tanked.)

Robert

Sep 13, 2003, 2:15:28 PM9/13/03

"Doom Archvile" <thear...@aol.comdiespam> wrote

> The point is: whoever *did* write it probably got all of their camera
direction
> tossed out.

Yep. On the Futurama DVD commentary, there's one episode where this
comes up - the writer(s) set things up and then simply wrote:

ENORMOUS SPACE BATTLE ENSUES

Groening and company were laughing..."Directors LOVE this!" The
scene wound up being the biggest, most complicated 3D shoot they'd done up
to that point.

---

Glen A. RITCHIE

Sep 15, 2003, 5:34:53 PM9/15/03
"Doom Archvile" <thear...@aol.comdiespam> wrote in message

> > > You can safely dispense with all the
> > > camera direction (it's gonna get
> > > tossed anyway unless your name is
> > > George Lucas)
>
> > Yes, and we all know how good ol'
> > George did such a wonderful job with
> > "Howard The Duck".
>
> I don't think he wrote that (or directed
> it). He was executive producer, I
> think.

Yer pro'ly right, 'Dr. Doom'.

Although the film version of "Howard The Duck" had its moments, it never
came close to the spirit of the comic book.

Thing is, Steve GERBER, the creator / writer of "Howard The Duck" said in an
interview (on his own web site, http://www.stevegerber.com, if I recall)
something to the effect that "even George LUCAS couldn't get it right".

He was, of course, referring to how other writers who took over the
scripting chores - despite their renowned artistic merit - just couldn't do
justice to "The Duck".

Sadly, I have to agree there.

'Moral' of the story?

Even pooling the best talents together doesn't always produce the best
results.

> The point is: whoever *did* write it
> probably got all of their camera
> direction tossed out. (And he was
> probably shot after the movie tanked.)

Although I'm one of these rare people who actually like to read the credits
after a film, I've never followed-up on the careers of those who were
involved in the production of "Howard The Duck".

Hm-m-m ...

maybe if I do a search on http://www.imdb.com or some such site ...

--
Please remember to visit
http://www.thehungersite.org
to make your free daily donation(s) of
food to the needy. This programme is
paid for by clicking on the advertisers
listed, with the food being delivered
by a highly reputable agency, the United
Nations.

---

Robert

Sep 15, 2003, 6:52:34 PM9/15/03

"Glen A. RITCHIE" <Get_away_from...@aliens.com> wrote

> Thing is, Steve GERBER, the creator / writer of "Howard The Duck" said in

an
> interview (on his own web site, http://www.stevegerber.com, if I recall)
> something to the effect that "even George LUCAS couldn't get it right".
>
> He was, of course, referring to how other writers who took over the
> scripting chores - despite their renowned artistic merit - just couldn't
do
> justice to "The Duck".

Well, I'll probably get flamed into oblivion, but....Lucas really
isn't much of a writer. Great ideas, great ability to surround himself with
talent, great at getting _his_ vision onto celluloid (or digital tape these
days). His style (after being highly polished) is really only going to work
well with something like "Star Wars". It was either Guiness or Ford or who
got fed up with him on the set and said "Hey, YOU trying saying this stuff!"
Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars and think GL is great at all
the technical and decision-making stuff - he sure wouldn't be my first pick
to work over a script, though. That would probably be Rick Berman.

---

Covenant

Sep 16, 2003, 1:22:33 PM9/16/03

> "Glen A. RITCHIE" <Get_away_from...@aliens.com> wrote
>
> > Thing is, Steve GERBER, the creator / writer of "Howard The Duck" said
in
> an
> > interview (on his own web site, http://www.stevegerber.com, if I recall)
> > something to the effect that "even George LUCAS couldn't get it right".
> >
> > He was, of course, referring to how other writers who took over the
> > scripting chores - despite their renowned artistic merit - just couldn't
> do
> > justice to "The Duck".
>
> Well, I'll probably get flamed into oblivion, but....Lucas really
> isn't much of a writer. Great ideas, great ability to surround himself
with
> talent, great at getting _his_ vision onto celluloid (or digital tape
these
> days). His style (after being highly polished) is really only going to
work
> well with something like "Star Wars". It was either Guiness or Ford or who
> got fed up with him on the set and said "Hey, YOU trying saying this
stuff!"

Harrison Ford.
Threatened to tie him to a chair and make him eat his own sh*t (Or "this
sh*t" can't recall which!)

!!!!

--
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Glen A. RITCHIE

Sep 16, 2003, 5:39:55 PM9/16/03
"Robert" <rdb...@prtcnet.org> wrote in message

> Well, I'll probably get flamed into
> oblivion, but....Lucas really isn't much of
> a writer.

WHAT?!?!?!

Why, you ... you ... you ...

BLASPHEMER!!!

(Jus' kiddin'.)

> Great ideas, great ability to surround
> himself with talent, great at getting
> _his_ vision onto celluloid (or digital
> tape these days). His style (after being
> highly polished) is really only going to
> work well with something like "Star
> Wars".

Agreed indeed.

It's refreshing that someone else recognises that although George LUCAS has
produced some rather enjoyable work, it's not exactly what one could
consider high-brow material.

Most people are so overawed by the technical production of LUCAS'S films
that the actual content seldom
receives equally as close scrutiny.

Hence, anything remotely connected to George LUCAS often gets viewed as
being infallible, as though he has 'the Midas touch'.

> It was either Guiness or Ford or who
> got fed up with him on the set and said
> "Hey, YOU trying saying this stuff!"

Of course, after reading Cov's response, we all know now that that's the
family-rated version of this anecdote.

> Don't get me wrong, I love Star
> Wars and think GL is great at all the
> technical and decision-making stuff - he
> sure wouldn't be my first pick to work
> over a script, though. That would
> probably be Rick Berman.

Interesting to note is that George LUCAS'S early work wasn't anywhere near
as commercial as what later followed; his limited budget on production
actually allowed him to concentrate on the story.

--
Please remember to visit
http://www.thehungersite.org
to make your free daily donation(s) of
food to the needy. This programme is
paid for by clicking on the advertisers
listed, with the food being delivered
by a highly reputable agency, the United
Nations.

---

Robert

Sep 16, 2003, 7:37:17 PM9/16/03

"Glen A. RITCHIE" <Get_away_from...@aliens.com> wrote

> Hence, anything remotely connected to George LUCAS often gets viewed as

> being infallible, as though he has 'the Midas touch'.

I think he _does_ have that touch, often enough. However....

> Interesting to note is that George LUCAS'S early work wasn't anywhere near
> as commercial as what later followed; his limited budget on production
> actually allowed him to concentrate on the story.

Yep, but it's hard to say overall. I've been reading up a bit lately
(re-watching SW 1 and 2), and the cause/s aren't always crass. Apparently
ROTJ suffered from ill-advised editing: everything _except_ Ewok scenes got
the slasher treatment, which threw off the balance of that film. I don't see
much excuse for PHANTOM except marketing. (But I gotta admit that after the
3rd or 4th viewing Jar-Jar is not nearly as annoying as he was at first
blush. Go figure. But that _kid_ grates even worse.) CLONES was better, but
somehow I never got that 'epic' feel from either one that I get from the
first 3 films. The whole Palpitine > Emperor concept needed better
explication or something, and the utter irrelevancy of what the Trade
Federation did or didn't do needed to be brought out. Palpy's playing both
ends against the middle and he's in a win-win situation, but that's probably
as clear as mud to the casual fan.

---