Seventies-Theme Party Foods

MaryMc

Nov 2, 2001, 5:50:49 PM11/2/01
I have a seventies website, and I've gotten emails from several people
who've found their way there looking for ideas on what foods to serve
at a seventies-theme party. I had a few suggestions, but I knew there
had to be more creative ideas out there. So I posted a query to these
newsgroups, and promised to report back with what people sent me. It's
taken me a while, but I finally have all the suggestions up on a
website at <http://www.casagordita.com/70sparty.htm>.

Thanks to everyone who contributed!

MaryMc

Jamie M.

Nov 3, 2001, 9:13:10 AM11/3/01
Fondue
Jello 1-2-3
Spam (and for special occasions, baked with brown sugar on top, mmmm)
Cheese dreams (made with that plastic cheese crap)
Casseroles (maybe it was just me, the 70s represent my Mom's casserole
years)

Boy, for the most part, the 70s were really unfortunate as far as food
goes.

Jamie :)

Darkginger

Nov 3, 2001, 10:42:44 AM11/3/01

Jamie M. <myst...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

The standard 'eating out' menu in 70's Britain was a prawn cocktail starter
(made with Marie Rose sauce), a steak main course, and the ubiquitous Black
Forest Gateau for pud. The height of sophistication!

Jo

Roman

Nov 4, 2001, 8:54:11 PM11/4/01

Devilled Eggs
Tater Tots

Smoot

Nov 5, 2001, 12:30:30 AM11/5/01
In article <7jmF7.173018$W8.55...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"Roman" <rm...@att.net> wrote:

>Devilled Eggs
>Tater Tots

Those were popular in the 50's and 60's too.

Quiche was really popular in the 70s, as were spinich dips served in big,
round, hollowed out, loaves of bread. Many people were getting into what
they considered health foods so anything you could add vegetables to were
really big. (Spinich or asperagus in the quiche for example.) So was
putting stuff on triskets which were considered healthy (maybe they are, I
don't know) by many then. Tofu was catching on, but most people didn't
know what to do with it. So you would have plain chunks to fry in the
fondues of the type that used boiling oil and various sauces.

Homemade Chinese food was popular, I remember attending many parties where
the hostesses made chinese food fresh. Having a "mongolian hot pot" (guest
boiling a selection of stuff for themselves in chicken stock) was really
considered cool by home chefs I knew. (One made a dessert by filling
wanton wrappers with a mixture of chopped dates and walnuts combined with
orange rind and deep frying them for a chinese dessert at one of those
parties. I'm not sure it had any authenticity, but they were tasty.)

Everyone was buying their first cuisinarts (at least where we lived in
Michigan) and James Beard's cookbook with recipes using the cuisinart was
popular. (People I knew made a lot of pie crusts at first while figuring
out how they would best be of help in the kitchen.) But homemade cheese
spreads and lots of other chopped up things were suddenly big then too.

I seem to remember crab being a very popular ingredient at parties back
then. (Although it was in the 60's too.) Stuff mushrooms were big too
(part of the veggie thing) and stuffing them with crab was popular in my
folks crowd. (My mom stuff them with a spicy crab mixture and cooked them
with lots of garlic butter.)

It seems to me that people where we lived in Michigan were using a far
wider variety of cheese and wines (but maybe it was just my friends as I
got out on my own later in the '70s - a natural thing for that age group I
suppose). I do remember everyone suddenly discovering brie in our crowd
back then, but as I said it just might have been our ages. My friends and
I went through a phase where we drank a lot of cocktails using Campari and
thought that made us more sophisticated. Actually I only remember the
females in our group doing that. It was a big step up from the Boones Farm
we started out drinking (not quite legally) earlier in the 70's.

Rebecca

--
In times of war, you are obligated to pretend that your leader is a
Great Man, even if he is the village idiot. It has always been so.

Mickey Zalusky

Nov 5, 2001, 12:38:55 AM11/5/01
Wow, this takes me back to my newlywed days:

Tuna noodle casserole made with Cream of Mushroom soup
Green Bean Casserole - Green Beans, Mushroom Soup, Canned Fried Onions
Quiche
Sour Cream and Dehydrated onion soup mix (dip for chips and veggies)
Dearm Whip
Baked Hot Dogs wrapped in Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
Jello with canned fruit cocktail
The "Diet" plate - hamburger, cottage cheese and tomatoes

Mickey
================

Kelly

Nov 5, 2001, 12:44:21 AM11/5/01

Smoot wrote> --

> In times of war, you are obligated to pretend that your leader is a
> Great Man, even if he is the village idiot. It has always been so.

I love your sig line!

Kelly

--
Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
Ernestine Ulmer

st...@temple.edu

Nov 5, 2001, 8:46:20 AM11/5/01
In rec.food.cooking Roman <rm...@att.net> wrote:

> Devilled Eggs
> Tater Tots

Tater tots are as popular now as they've ever been. Doesn't their
continued popularity disqualify tater tots as a 70's only food?

Christopher Green

Nov 7, 2001, 1:19:42 AM11/7/01
On Fri, 02 Nov 2001 14:50:49 -0800, MaryMc <mary...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

Watergate Salad, circa 1970 (yes, it was around before the scandal).

--
Chris Green

MH

Nov 8, 2001, 11:53:32 PM11/8/01

<st...@temple.edu> wrote in message news:9s657c$e51$2...@cronkite.temple.edu...

Yes, I admit that I love tater tots. I can't duplicate their taste. I know,
it's shameful, but I admit, I love them. : )

Roman

Nov 11, 2001, 4:34:45 PM11/11/01

amoo...@visi.com wrote:
>Remember Sangria?
>
>some kind of red wine with orange slices in it. . .

Yeah, good ol' Beefsteak Charlie made the best Sangria in town.

The Wanderer

Nov 11, 2001, 5:14:30 PM11/11/01
And before it was Beefsteak Charlie's it was Steak 'n' Brew. Which was
famous for people trying to get over on them because the commercial said
"all the salad, beer wine, or sangria you can drink when you come in" they
never said anything about "with dinner". Where ya from Roman? And welcome.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"Roman" <rm...@att.net> wrote in message

Christopher Green

Nov 12, 2001, 1:33:47 AM11/12/01
On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 11:00:48 -0600, amoo...@visi.com wrote:

>Remember Sangria?
>
>some kind of red wine with orange slices in it. . .

I was getting sloshed on Sangría in Spain years before it became
popular in the U.S. But with respect to its history in the U.S., it
certainly qualifies as a 70's drink.

The proportions are highly variable, but the basic ingredients are red
wine, brandy, sliced citrus (a little grapefruit is essential), and
enough sugar to cut the tartness.

--
Chris Green

Roman

Nov 12, 2001, 7:06:25 AM11/12/01

The Wanderer wrote:
>And before it was Beefsteak Charlie's it was Steak 'n' Brew. Which was
>famous for people trying to get over on them because the commercial said
>"all the salad, beer wine, or sangria you can drink when you come in" they
>never said anything about "with dinner". Where ya from Roman? And welcome.

Thanks! I currently reside in Manhattan, but was born and raised in The
Bronx.

The Wanderer

Nov 12, 2001, 9:46:07 AM11/12/01
I'm from Brooklyn. For a moment there I thought you were a friend of mine
from here in Brooklyn by the name Roman. Hey, you should hang around and
become part of this great group we have here. These people really become
friends. And we're having a get together the weekend of December 8. We like
to get together from time to time and shoot the breeze. People will be
coming in from Canada (Rach), the Washington area (Naz), Dawna from Arizona
(BOOO! Arizona ptew! Diamondbacks arghh!), Tom from Jersey, Kelly and Stevie
Nice from Queens, and me from Brooklyn. We're still tryingh to twist the
arms of the three Boston cuties to get them here. But we plan to have a nice
time and as a member of this group....you're invited.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"Roman" <rm...@att.net> wrote in message

Nanc

Nov 12, 2001, 3:38:54 PM11/12/01
Buddy what a sweet thing to say.....I think you might get Sandy and Anne
after all. I know I can't make it though. I just went away with my sisters
and I might be going to Pompano Beach in Feb. with my sister-in-law. But
even if I'm the only Bostonian NOT to go, I want to talk to you all so
please email me where and when with a telephone number okay???? Thanks :-)
Nanc

Sunshine State

Nov 15, 2001, 1:59:55 AM11/15/01
Pompano Beach is 20 miles from me.

Nanc

Nov 15, 2001, 5:46:24 PM11/15/01
Well Francis if I'm going to make it, I'll be sure to let you know. (Keeping
my fingers crossed)
Nanc

Sunshine State

Nov 16, 2001, 1:57:45 AM11/16/01
I'll cross mine too if it'll help. :-)

Evelyn Ruut

Nov 20, 2001, 5:42:08 PM11/20/01

"Christopher Green" <cj.g...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

I knew a man from Spain, and he insisted it wasn't really Sangria unless you
put a bit of Gin into it.

Ev.

Nanc

Nov 21, 2001, 7:25:47 AM11/21/01
Hi Ev. Are you delurking?

Evelyn Ruut

Nov 21, 2001, 12:51:38 PM11/21/01
I guess you could call it that.... just dropped in and was hoping for some
suggestions on venison and noticed the 70's thread.

I happen to have some really interesting seventies recipes, like 7 up cake
(a very nice pound cake) and of course everyone in the seventies liked to
fondue. That sort of fizzled out and there were fondue pots for sale at
all the flea markets :-)

Evelyn

"Nanc" <bill...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

Sophia Mazur

Jan 6, 2002, 4:54:18 PM1/6/02
just testing
"Evelyn Ruut" <mama...@ulster.net> wrote in message

Dawna

Jan 10, 2002, 3:40:14 AM1/10/02
I have a recipe from the 70s called 7UP salad. It is
deeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious! Pineapple, cream cheese, lime jello, dream whip,
and 7UP. Great stuff!
~~Dawna

"Sophia Mazur" <sop...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

diddy

Jan 10, 2002, 8:03:07 AM1/10/02

Dawna wrote:

> I have a recipe from the 70s called 7UP salad. It is
> deeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious! Pineapple, cream cheese, lime jello, dream whip,
> and 7UP. Great stuff!
> ~~Dawna

share please? I LOVED that!

Chris

Feb 1, 2002, 2:51:21 PM2/1/02
In article <3C3D910B...@nospam.diddy.net>, diddy
<di...@nospam.diddy.net> wrote:

I agree, Dawna, it sounds great. Could you please post the recipe?

TIA,
Chris

Janine

Feb 23, 2002, 4:44:47 PM2/23/02
Chris wrote:

This stuff was also know as "Martian Guts!"

~Janine
--
What great thing would you attempt if you knew you couldn't fail?

sticks (pud)

Feb 23, 2002, 6:33:05 PM2/23/02
has someone mentioned the 7 layer taco bean dip? WHat about the sour
cream and Lipton onion soup
dip with fritos? Nachos? Fried zuchinni sticks?

--
Mary f. <No Kitty! it's MY POT PIE!>
_ _
It's a widdle,widdle, widdle pud (When I wake up, I'm gonna
get a CAT scan, "the santa clause")