An easy plus filling soup??

Faith L. McCammon

Feb 12, 2001, 11:34:14 AM2/12/01
This may sound like a very tall order.

The price of groceries around here has jumped by leaps and bounds. Feeding a
family of six is becoming very difficult & the increase in grocery money is
taking a chunk out of the monthly bill money.

I've been making a lot of soup because I can prepare a large kettle that
will last for 2-3 days. My children love soup but they're tired of potato
soup & vegetable soup.

I'm not adventurous when it comes to making new soups, especially when I
have to prepare it in such a large quantity.

Does anyone have a recipe that is:

easy
inexpensive or at least moderately so to acquire the ingredients
can be reheated several times
and, is _filling_ enough to satisfy a hubby who works his butt off & 4
growing children?
Oh, & it has to be a hot soup. The hubby won't touch the cold type soups.
<bg>

I don't know what the price of groceries is like in other parts of the
states right now, but here in SE Ohio a beef roast that would feed 3-4
people is going for $7-$8; just to give you an idea what the grocery bill is
for my brood. Whew!

Hopefully we'll be back out into the country soon to raise our own
vegetables & beef, pork, poultry...

Thanks!

--
Faith

Like speculative fiction, poetry, & art?
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Suite/8596
http://faithsfictionfantasytwo.homestead.com/index.htm
Looking for a unique gift for someone??
http://www.wildchildpublishing.com/curioshoppe/faithsfantasy.html
Try www.shyflowersgarden.com & click on Shyflower's Market then Center
Attractions!

melvalena

Feb 12, 2001, 12:12:57 PM2/12/01
here is one that you can make in a crock pot or on the stove if you
dont' have a crockpot.

Steak Soup
1lb hamburger
2 onions
2 sliced carrots
1 can tomatoes
1 t. pepper
3 c water
3 sliced celery stalks
1 pkg frozen mixed veg.
2-4 T beef base (or 2 beef cubes)
Brown hamburger and drain off grease. Mix hamburger and everything
else in crockpot, cover and cook on med. for 8-10 hours.
(if you only have hi and low heat, cook on hi for an hour and then on
low for the rest of the cooking time)
one hour before serving time turn heat on high.
1/2 hour before serving melt 1/2 c butter and mix with 1/2 flour and
stir into crockpot. cover and let it finish.

serve with some good hearty bread, or corn bread muffins.

and here is another that gets good reviews at my house and also here
in this group:

Chicken Enchilada Soup
1 doz corn tortillas
veg oil
1sm onion
1 clove garlic
1 4 oz can chop cillies
1 can beef broth
1 can chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can chunk style chicken
1 1/2 cups water
add the following to your family's tastes, a little or a lot, its up
to you:
steak sauce
worcestershire sauce
cumin
chili powder
pepper
3 cups chedder cheese
paprika

cut 6 tortillas into 1/2 inch strips--set aside
cut remaining into triangles. fry and set aside.
saute onion and garlic in a little oil, add next 11 ingredients,
bring to a boil. cover. reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
add tortillas strips and cheese. simmer uncovered 10 mins. spinkle
with paprika abd serve with the fried chips. yield 8 cups.

also Gary M has a great split pea soup, if he doesn't post it I will
later.

Competition brings out the best in products and
the worst in people.--David Sarnoff

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts.
Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours

Faith L. McCammon

Feb 12, 2001, 1:24:03 PM2/12/01
Oh! These are great! Thanks so much!!!

Faith

"melvalena" <melv...@concentric.net> wrote in message

The Ranger

Feb 12, 2001, 2:32:04 PM2/12/01
Faith L. McCammon asked:

>Does anyone have a recipe that is:
>easy
>inexpensive or at least moderately so to acquire the
>ingredients can be reheated several times
>and, is _filling_ enough to satisfy a hubby who works
>his butt off & 4 growing children?
>Oh, & it has to be a hot soup. The hubby won't touch
>the cold type soups.

Here are three that I regularly make:
SOPA de AGUACATE (AVOCADO SOUP)

INGREDIENTS:
3-4 avocados (depending on how big)
1 cup heavy cream
6 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup dry sherry
salt & pepper to taste
paprika to taste

METHOD:
Peel and mash the avocados smooth. Season with the salt and pepper to
taste, beat in the cream, put in a soup warmer and set aside. (what the heck
are those called? tureens?). Heat the stock, add the sherry, and when it's
really hot, pour over the avocados in the warmer, mixing well.
--------

KONA McFARMER's AVOCADO SOUP

INGREDIENTS:
2 Tbs. minced onion
2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. flour
4 Cup chicken broth
1 tomato peeled, seeded and chopped
salt and pepper to taste
3 avocados (I changed this to six -- I like creamier soup)
1/2 Cup sour cream

Sauté onions in butter. Add flour to form thick paste. Stir in broth a
little at a time, add tomato, salt and pepper. Simmer thickened stock while
preparing avocados. Peel and puree avocados, stir in sour cream. Pour soup
into bowls, float three generous spoons of avocado mixture into bowl. Serve
hot.
-------

BEEF & VEGETABLE STEW

INGREDIENTS:
2 lb. Beef, cubed [1]
6 Idaho Potatoes, peeled
6 Carrots, peeled [2]
1 Onion, chopped
5 Cups chicken broth
2 Cups frozen Peas
2 Cups frozen Green Beans
2 Cups water
1 Cup heavy cream (or half-and-half)
2 Tbs. Flour
2 Tbs. Oil [3]
Salt & Pepper to taste

METHOD:
Using a Dutch oven, heat over medium heat and brown meat and onions
together; remove meat and onions, save for use later.
In a 12-quart stock pot, add remain ingredients. Heat on med-low heat
and cover for 4 hours, stirring every 60 minutes.
In the last 15 minutes, reheat Dutch oven with drippings. Add flour. Add
cream. Add some broth from main pot. Continually stir and remove from heat.
Add to stock pot to thicken. Stir and serve with warm sour dough bread.
[1] Any meat can be substituted; veal, chicken, ground beef.
[2] I don't peel the carrots; I like the skins.
[3] I use Crisco but you can use Wesson, your favorite Olive Oil (don't use
virgin or extra virgin).

The Ranger

Baron Blackfang

Feb 12, 2001, 4:48:23 PM2/12/01
If you like chicken soup, here is my family's favoite recipe. It's
inexpensive and easy to make. My variation calls for the chicken to be
wrapped in cheesecloth, which helps keep the chicken whole during cooking
and assists in its removal from the hot soup.

Ingredients:

1 whole frying chicken
1 red onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1 bag parsnips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
4 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 bay leaves
1 tbs salt
1 tsp black pepper
Pinch of saffron
Water
Cheesecloth
1-lb thin egg noodles, cooked

Directions:

Wash chicken and remove giblets (save for another dish or stock) and any
large chunks of fat. Cut cheesecloth into two pieces and wrap the bird
tightly, making a knot at the top. Use the other piece of cloth for another
time. Place chicken breast-side up in a large soup pot. Add all
ingredients to pot except noodles. Fill pot with cold water, covering
chicken. Bring to boil, then simmer for two hours. Using large tongs,
remove the chicken to a large platter. Skim the floating fat from the soup.
When chicken is cool enough to handle, debone chicken. Either add chicken
pieces to pot, or serve separately, or make chicken salad with it. Serve
soup with noodles. Enjoy!

"Faith L. McCammon" <mc...@belmontcty.net> wrote in message

Faith L. McCammon

Feb 12, 2001, 5:57:35 PM2/12/01
Thanks Ranger!

I don't know what the hubby will think of making soup out of avocados but if
I can find some at our grocery store I'm going to give these recipes a
whirl!

Faith

"The Ranger" <cuhul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Faith L. McCammon

Feb 12, 2001, 5:58:16 PM2/12/01
Mmm! This one sounds good!

"Baron Blackfang" <Wolf...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

JAFischer

Feb 12, 2001, 6:28:11 PM2/12/01
I wish I could give you standard amounts on this, but I can't. I grew up in
PA Dutch country! I can tell you what I do; that's all.

PA Dutch Corn Soup

Boil a (3-4lb)chicken with just enough water to cover chicken half way.
Throw in some spices....I like ground garlic(a GOOD FULL pinch of ground {if
not more...love garlic}), some chopped onion (1 very lg onion), celery,
including leaves (chopped, about a 3/4 to 1 cup). And black pepper, to
taste. Simmer until all bones pull away from carcass. Should've warned you
that my instructions are primitive, but I really don't know how to explain
it any other way. This is a recipe that's been handed down from
generation-to-generation and nothing is measured.

Take out the bird, and chop the meat, add it back to the broth. Take off
the skin and all "the nasties" you don't want. I use the giblets, and love
to eat them, but I realize, some don't. Some people strain the broth
because they don't like the chunks in it, but I leave mine as is. Add
2X(16Oz), or 2 lbs., frozen white corn, or yellow sweet corn. How you get
the corn is up to you. I usually go the easy way with the frozen corn.
But, you can slice corn off the cob, if you want. Have to say, the fresher
the corn, the better the dish! It's up to you as to how much you want in
your soup.

Then, put the corn with the broth/chicken meat mixture, and simmer for about
30 minutes. If you won't to make dumplings, rivels, or spaezle, at this
point is when you add it. I can't put recipes here now for those, but if
you want them, let me know. It's REALLY good. And, you have an original
recipe for PA Dutch Corn Soup. It's an east-coast thing, so if you've never
heard of it, that's usually why. But, it's warm, filling, delicious, stew,
that's cheap and easy to make.

I personally like it without the spaezle, dumplings, or rivels. Just the
corn and hot sauce, and some corn bread.

zelda

Feb 12, 2001, 8:17:57 PM2/12/01
Sausage Pasta Fagioli With Spinach
1 lb bulk sausage (I buy the cheapest going, usually the ordinary sage
flavored)
2 large onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed (or more to your taste)
1 28-oz can plum tomatoes in juice
1 tsp salt
2 cups water
2 15-oz cans chicken broth
1 cup ditalini or tubetti pasta, cooked and drained
1-3 cans shelled beans (depending on how much your family likes beans..may
also use great northern or cannellini beans)
1 10-oz pkg frozen chopped spinach

Cook sausage until browned, drain very well and set aside. Cook onions
until tender and golden, about 10 minutes, add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add
tomatoes with their juice (I use a potato masher to crush them). Add
chicken broth, salt, beans, and 2 cups water; over high heat bring to a
boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Add sausage, pasta, and spinach.
Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer about another 30 minutes. Makes about
16 cups.
I adapted this from a recipe in Good Housekeeping magazine...it's very
filling and freezes well. I usually only use one can of beans and add 2 or
3 cubed potatoes. and sometimes only half the amount of pasta. You could
substitute italian green beans for the spinach???
Zelda

>"Faith L. McCammon" <mc...@belmontcty.net> wrote in message
>> This may sound like a very tall order.
>>
>> The price of groceries around here has jumped by leaps and bounds.
Feeding
>> family of six is becoming very difficult & the increase in grocery money
>is
>> taking a chunk out of the monthly bill money.
>>
>> I've been making a lot of soup because I can prepare a large kettle that
>> will last for 2-3 days. My children love soup but they're tired of potato
>> soup & vegetable soup.
>>

>> Does anyone have a recipe that is:
>>
>> easy
>> inexpensive or at least moderately so to acquire the ingredients
>> can be reheated several times
>> and, is _filling_ enough to satisfy a hubby who works his butt off & 4
>> growing children?
>> Oh, & it has to be a hot soup. The hubby won't touch the cold type soups.
>> <bg>
>>

>Snip

Marie-Anne

Feb 13, 2001, 7:58:56 AM2/13/01
Hello Faith,
It is some time ago that I posted this recipe for Dutch brown bean soup
here, so I do not know if you (still) have it. If not, here it is:

500 gr. dried brown beans (you do not need to soak them first)
500 gr. sweet onions sliced in rings
3 ltr. water
1 peeled potatoe
2 teasp. curry-powder
2 teasp. paprika-powder
2 pcs. bay leaf
Dash of Whiskey or Brandy or Armagnac
Dash Worcestersauce, sweet and salt ketjap (oriental soy sauce).
2 or 3 stock cubes
1 Smoked Sausage ("Rookworst")
Handblender and a sieve

Put on the brown beans with the water and bring to the boiling point. Add
the bay leafs, and the potatoe. Boil the beans for about 2 hours with a lit
on the pan. Stirr once and a while to keep it from burning. Fry the
onionrings real brown and add to the soup. Let it boil for another 3/4 hour.
Take the pan of the fire, remove the bay leafs and blend the soup with a
handblender till well mashed. Put the soup through a sieve. Then put the pan
back on the fire, add stock cubes, curry-powder, paprika-powder
(which you have stirred in a little bowl with some hot soup first). Season
the soup with worcestersauce, Ketjap (the sweet and salt ones) if you like,
and do not forget a dash of whiskey. Then add sliced smoked sausage to the
soup. If you can not get smoked sausage, a frying sausage will do nicely.
Serve with brown bread, butter and smoked bacon. This is a nice soup for
cold days!
Pardon my English, I hope I did not make to many grammar mistakes.

Kathy

Feb 13, 2001, 1:15:12 PM2/13/01
LOL this is the way I cook; a pinch here a pinch there; a handful here
a handful there, its not only PA Dutch who do it. This is the way I
learned from my mom and grandmother!

Kathy G.

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:28:11 -0800, "JAFischer" <fish...@lvcm.com>

Faith L. McCammon

Feb 13, 2001, 2:38:20 PM2/13/01
Would kidney beans work okay in this recipe? The hubby can't tolerate any
sort of dried beans 'cept for a few kidney beans. He loves dried bean soups
but they make him sick for days after so I think he's allergic to something
in dried beans. For some reason a few kidney beans don't seem to bother him.

Faith

"zelda" <ze...@endor.com> wrote in message

Faith L. McCammon

Feb 13, 2001, 2:41:18 PM2/13/01
Oh, this sounds so delicious! I wish the hubby could eat dried beans. In
case you missed one of my replies to this thread, he seems to be allergic to
every sort of dried bean there is 'cept for kidney beans. He loves dried
bean soups but will be sick for days after eating it. Darn, I sure wish I
could make this one!

Thanks!

Faith

"Marie-Anne" <mariean...@hetnet.nl> wrote in message

MareCat

Feb 13, 2001, 5:01:22 PM2/13/01
Chicken corn soup is one of my very favorite soups to make! And it's so easy
(and filling)! I make it the same way you do, except I add LOTS of rivels
(my husband's favorite part of the soup!). I blend 1 cup of flour with 4
eggs and then drop the rivels from a fork into the simmering soup. Mmmmmmm!

Mary

"JAFischer" <fish...@lvcm.com> wrote in message

zelda

Feb 13, 2001, 5:03:08 PM2/13/01

Faith L. McCammon wrote in message
<96c2fa$kf3l4$1...@ID-50387.news.dfncis.de>...

>Would kidney beans work okay in this recipe? The hubby can't tolerate any
>sort of dried beans 'cept for a few kidney beans. He loves dried bean soups
>but they make him sick for days after so I think he's allergic to something
>in dried beans. For some reason a few kidney beans don't seem to bother
him.

>Faith
>
>"zelda" <ze...@endor.com> wrote in message
>> Sausage Pasta Fagioli With Spinach
Snip recipe

By all means use kidney beans! If hubby's touchy with beans that's when I'd
really use only one can and fill in with potatoes!! :) Zelda

Marie-Anne

Feb 14, 2001, 3:05:28 AM2/14/01

Faith L. McCammon <mc...@belmontcty.net> schreef in berichtnieuws
96c2kt$jkqjd$1...@ID-50387.news.dfncis.de...

> Oh, this sounds so delicious! I wish the hubby could eat dried beans. In
> case you missed one of my replies to this thread, he seems to be allergic
> every sort of dried bean there is 'cept for kidney beans. He loves dried
> bean soups but will be sick for days after eating it. Darn, I sure wish I
> could make this one!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Faith

Oops, sorry Faith, I did not see the whole thread.
I will look into my souprecipes again, and try to find a suitable one!
Marie-Anne.

flo

Feb 14, 2001, 6:22:46 AM2/14/01
I know a very good recipe of vegetable soup (I know you didn't ask for
vegetable soup but this one is propably different from the recipes you
know) You need for 2 adults: oignon (1 small) carrots (1 big) leek (1)
potatoes (same quantity as the carrots)
other vegetables (cabbage, turnip, French bean) varying with the season,
in smaller quantity

Take a big pot to cook the soup. If you have something very thick (for
example in cast iron) , it will be OK. Take a good quantity of butter (2
big tablespoon), and let it melt in the pot. Then put the vegetables cut
in small cubes (the cubes must be a little smaller than one inch). The
fire must not be too hot! (medium-low heat). Tear from times to times. It
takes about 20 minutes until the vegetables seems to be transparent. Then
add water, salt, pepper. If you like it, you can add parsley.Cook until
the soup seems to be ok (about half an hour).
Then you can mix it if you prefer. My grandmother used to mix it and eat
this soup with a pinch of red wine (people often add wine to soup in the
Center of France).
Enjoy!

(If you have any question, ask me, because I am not sure I can write very
clear things in English)

Flo

Dans
l'article <9693nm$kevjo$1...@ID-50387.news.dfncis.de>, "Faith L. McCammon"

Marie-Anne

Feb 14, 2001, 8:30:14 AM2/14/01
Hi Faith,
Here I am again. This soup is easy to make and I hope your husband will like
it!

Curry-soup
(Serves 4)
1 ltr. stock made of veal-shin
2 teasp. curry-powder
2 little onions, chopped
Dash of dry white wine
Quit a dash of cream
30 gr. butter
30 gr. flour
1 or 2 stock-cubes
Parsley, cutted up fine
100 gr. chickenbreast, chopped into small pieces, marinated in Ketjap (soy
sauce) and a bit sambal (oriental pepper-paste).

Melt down the butter en fry the onions, add flour and curry-powder and make
a "roux". Add a dash of white wine and then the stock bit by bit till you
get a smooth soup without any lumps. Bring to the boiling point. Sieve the
soup en put back on the fire again. Add the small pieces chickenbreast and
let boil for 1 minut. Season the soup with salt and pepper, add parsley and
cream.

Faith L. McCammon

Feb 14, 2001, 12:20:27 PM2/14/01

"zelda" <ze...@endor.com> wrote in message

Great! Thanks, Zelda!

Faith L. McCammon

Feb 14, 2001, 12:23:12 PM2/14/01

"Marie-Anne" <mariean...@hetnet.nl> wrote in message

Thank you, Marie-Anne! This one sounds wonderful!

Faith

Faith L. McCammon

Feb 14, 2001, 12:24:35 PM2/14/01
Thank you, Flo! I have one very similar to this, but I'm going to try adding
the red wine to see how it improves the flavor.

Faith