Tonight's supper

Sally Wallace

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
It's chilly in Mississippi, and this really sounded good to me for
tonight. It's an old favorite, from _Southern Sideboards_, the Jackson, MS
Junior League cookbook, now out of print. Wish I could remember the name
given in the cookbook, but I just call it

Almond Chicken with Rice

6 half chicken breasts
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup oleo
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 ( 3 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
Juice of one lemon
1/4 cup sherry
1 cup raw rice, cooked

Skin and debone chicken. Cut meat into large pieces. Place in baking dish
and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika.

Brown almonds in oleo. Remove almonds, and in the same skillet, saute
onion and drained mushrooms. Add lemon juice, sherry, and almonds,
stirring well.

Spoon mixture over chicken pieces. Cover with foil and bake 1 hour and 15
minutes at 350 degrees.

Spoon rice on serving platter and place chicken on top. Garnish with
parsley.
--
Sally Wallace
Y'all drop by:

L. Bruce Hills

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
Sounds good, Sally, but I would remove the foil for the last 15 minutes
to lightly brown the chicken.

Those local cookbooks can really provide some good eating. I have one
entitled "Southern Cooking Ripley Style", from Ripley, MS that I use
often...

Bruce in Maine

Jill McQuown

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
Sally Wallace wrote in message
<8F15AE6D1sally...@207.126.101.100>...

The recipe sounds good, Sally! And what happened to our Spring weather,
anyway? I'm tired of all this rain and am pretty sure that's why I'm still
sick!

'Local cookbooks', as Bruce refers to them, are always a good thing. I
don't travel much anymore but when I do I try to stop into area book stores
or gift shops and pick them up. They often have the best recipes in them.

Jill

Jill McQuown

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
Sally Wallace wrote in message
<8F15C1CE8sally...@207.126.101.100>...

>jmcq...@bellsouth.net (Jill McQuown) wrote:
>
>>The recipe sounds good, Sally! And what happened to our Spring
>>weather, anyway? I'm tired of all this rain and am pretty sure that's
>>why I'm still sick!
>>
>>'Local cookbooks', as Bruce refers to them, are always a good thing. I
>>don't travel much anymore but when I do I try to stop into area book
>>stores or gift shops and pick them up. They often have the best
>>recipes in them.
>>
>>Jill
>
>Spring? I've forgotten what that is. Think we could get Dave Brown to
>change the name of the season to "Mildew?"

>--
>Sally Wallace
>Y'all drop by:
>An Online Refrigerator
>http://www.avsia.com/scav/

ROFL!! Maybe Dave will decide to mildew instead... Remember when he had
brown hair? Uh oh, showing my age. That was 20 years ago ;-)

News: a sparrow has decided to take up housekeeping in my grapevine wreath
on the front door. I'm going to have to take the wreath down, since my
efforts at removing this 'housekeeping' have been foiled at every turn. I
know the poor bird just wants to get out of the rain but I can't have a bird
living on my front door!

Jill

Sally Wallace

Apr 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/14/00

Zaphod & Trillian

Apr 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/14/00
Yum- we love almonds! Thanks for posting this! :-)