Apple pie

McKenzie Gallagher-Haskell

Oct 2, 2002, 1:42:26 PM10/2/02
Hi all -

I'm looking for an outta-this-world apple pie recipe that'll knock my
husband's socks off. We both love apple pie, but the recipes I've found in
my lame cookbooks sound like the pies are just ho-hum. I have many pounds
of Cortland apples sitting in my kitchen waiting to become part of the
perfect apple pie! :)

McKenzie

Thierry Gerbault

Oct 2, 2002, 1:57:49 PM10/2/02
"McKenzie Gallagher-Haskell" <kenz...@nycap.rr.comnospam> wrote in

This one is different, and also very good...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Apple Pie in a Bag

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :
Categories : Pies Desserts
Fruits

-----PIE FILLING-----
5 Apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 c Granulated sugar
3 tb All-purpose flour
1/2 ts Cinnamon
1 tb Lemon juice
-----CRUMB TOPPING-----
1 c Light brown sugar
1/2 c All-purpose flour
1/8 lb (1/2 stick) butter
-----MISCELLANEOUS-----
1 Unbaked 9-inch pie crust
1 Large brown grocery bag

Combine granulated sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Coat sliced apples with
sugar mixture. Put mixture in unbaked pie crust and sprinkle with
lemon
juice. Combine brown sugar and flour and cut butter into mixture until
crumbly. Sprinkle over top of apples. Place pie pan in large grocery
bag.
Fold over front and pin shut. Bake 1 to 1-1/4 hours at 400 degrees F.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Regards, Thierry...

Reply to Thierry...@att.net

- I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

LINDA MAGEE1

Oct 2, 2002, 4:13:22 PM10/2/02

McKenzie, I just pulled this out of the oven. It is FAR from being ho-hum.

STEPHENSON'S APPLE PIE
2 9-inch DEEP DISH PIE CRUSTS (recipe below)

1 cup GRANULATED SUGAR
3 TBS ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
1 tsp NUTMEG
1 tsp GROUND CINNAMON
2 lbs JONATHAN APPLES (or any good cooking apple--Granny Smith or
Pippins or a combination of sweet/tart apples),
peeled, cored and thinly sliced.
1 ORANGE (juice only--about 1/4 cup) I use 'juice' oranges,
they're sweet
1/2 tsp LEMON PEEL, grated (yellow part only)
2 TBS BUTTER, cut into small pieces

1/4 cup EVAPORATED MILK \
2 TBS GRANULATED SUGAR / for the top crust
---------
Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Place a cookie sheet onto your oven's lowest rack.

Line one pie pan with one crust; brush the edges with evaporated milk.

Mix together the sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and lemon peel; set aside.

Slice the apples into the bottom crust; sprinkle with the sugar mixture, then
pour the orange juice over the top. Dot with butter and cover with the top
crust, pinching the edges to seal. Make a decorative edge if you'd like. If you
want to make it prettier, cut small apples from scraps of crust dough, put on
after you''ve glazed the top crust with the milk, then brush the apple cut-outs
with milk. Cut slits in the top crust to vent.

Brush the top crust with evaporated milk, then sprinkle with the 2 TBS sugar.

Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the top crust is golden brown and the juices
are bubbly.

Linda Magee - Burbank, CA

Dimitri

Oct 2, 2002, 5:39:52 PM10/2/02

"McKenzie Gallagher-Haskell" <kenz...@nycap.rr.comnospam> wrote in message
> [...]

A favorite crust variation follows:

Dimitri

(6 servings)

CHEDDAR CRUST:
2 c Unbleached Flour; Sifted
1 1/4 c Cheddar; Md, Shredded
1/2 ts Salt
2/3 c Vegetable Shortening
1 x Water; Iced

FILLING:
7 c Apples; *
1/2 c Sugar
2 tb Unbleached Flour
1/2 ts Cinnamon; Ground
2 tb Butter Or Regular Margarine
1 ea Egg Yolk; Lg, Beaten
1 tb Water

Instructions
* Use tart cooking apples such as Macs or Granny Smith's. Core, pare

CHEDDAR CRUST:
Combine the flour, cheese and salt in a bowl. Using a pastry blender or two
knives, cut in the shortening until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle the iced
water (5 or 6 tbls will be needed) and using a fork, toss the crumbs until a
dough is formed. Press the dough firmly into a ball.

FILLING:
Divide the pastry almost in half and roll out the larger half, on a lightly
floured surface, to a 13-inch circle. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the
pastry, trimming the edges to 1/2-inch beyond the rim of the pie plate.
(Note: When lining the pie plate, be careful not to stretch the pastry when
spreading it out. This will cause holes or the pastry will shrink and the
filling will run over in the oven as it is baked. Place in the pie plate and
gently, working from the center, spread the pastry out until it covers the
bottom of the pie plate and then lay the rest of the pastry over the rim and
trim.) Combine the apples, sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a bowl, mixing
well. Arrange the apple mixture in the pastry lined pie plate. Roll out the
remaining pastry to an 11-inch circle. Gently fold into quarters and cut
steam slits in the folds. Unfold the crust and place on top of the filling,
trimming the crust to 1-inch beyond the rim of the pie plate. Fold the top
crust under the lower one and flute to form a ridge around the edge of the
pie plate. Combine the egg yolk and water, then brush the mixture over the
top crust and rim. Bake in a 400 degree F. oven for 45 to 50 minutes or
until apples are tender and the crust is a golden brown. Cool on a wire rack
until slightly warm and serve with Vanilla Ice Cream, if desired.

Billy

Oct 2, 2002, 7:17:09 PM10/2/02
"McKenzie Gallagher-Haskell" <kenz...@nycap.rr.comnospam> wrote:

>I'm looking for an outta-this-world apple pie recipe that'll knock my
>husband's socks off.

I am positive that you have received the "be all and end all" of pie recipes.
Frankly, I believe the perfect apple pie starts with a LARD crust. Yes, I said
lard. That flavor, will never be forgot from my fond memories of Grandma Lola's
pies. We use it exclusively for a perfect pastry.

Here is a recipe that my family loves.............but I must tell you that this
recipe came from Better Homes & Gardens. Wish that I could have won the $10,000
dollar prize...but I didn't think it up!

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Apple Nut Lattice Tart

desserts, pies

2 pie crust; 10 inch
3 cup granny smith apples; peeled & sliced
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoon golden raisins
3 tablespoon pecans; chopped
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon lemon rind
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon water
1 egg yolk; beaten
----GLAZE----
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Heat oven to 400F. Place one crust in a tart pan. Combine in large bowl
apples, sugar, raisins, pecans, cinnamon, lemon rind and lemon juice. Spoon
into tart shell. Make Lattice top and assemble. Trim and seal edges.

In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and water; gently brush over lattice.
Bake 40 to 60 minutes. Remove to rack and cool completely.

Prepare glaze and drizzle over cool tart.

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice. Many preferences,
ingredients, and procedures may not be consistent with what you
know to be true. As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit! © W. H. Stoneman

Edwin Pawlowski

Oct 2, 2002, 9:26:19 PM10/2/02

"McKenzie Gallagher-Haskell" <kenz...@nycap.rr.comnospam> wrote in message

Most apple pies have apples, sugar, cinnamon. What would knock your sock
off? Special crust? Adding nuts, raisins, cheese, vanilla, or some
combination of these?

What I consider perfect may be your ho-hum and what you may add could be a
turnoff to me. Why not give us a clue?
Ed
e...@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Jerry Avins

Oct 2, 2002, 10:17:59 PM10/2/02

I sprinkle the sliced apples in a bowl with about 2 teaspoons of maple
sugar per pieful and let them sit in the fridge overnight or for a
couple of hours on the counter. I add only a tiny amount of nutmeg and a
little flour to combine with the liquid the sugar made and coat the
slices. I like it; some others do too.

Jerry

Kmquinn2000

Oct 2, 2002, 10:36:28 PM10/2/02

IMO there are 2 things that ruin an apple pie, one is so many spices and so
much sugar and you can't taste the apple. The other is a skinny apple pie.
(ok.. well maybe that's 3 :)
Apples cook WAY down, I would fill your pie shell with apples and then double
or even triple that. :) My apple pies often weigh 7 to 10 lbs or more :)
I start getting 'hints' for them on Labor Day weekend for Thanksgiving dinner
... so they must be pretty good :)
~Kat
btw, I also try to use more than one type of apple, it improves the consistency
and it is easier to adjust the sugar to the tartness.

Edwin Pawlowski

Oct 3, 2002, 9:55:34 PM10/3/02

"Kmquinn2000" <kmqui...@cs.com> wrote in message > >

> The other is a skinny apple pie.
> (ok.. well maybe that's 3 :)
> Apples cook WAY down, I would fill your pie shell with apples and then
double
> or even triple that. :) My apple pies often weigh 7 to 10 lbs or more :)

How do you keep from getting a big "canopy" of pie crust over the apples? My
wife makes a fantastic pie, but when the apples cook down the crust stays
intact and there is a large void.
Ed
e...@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Kmquinn2000

Oct 4, 2002, 8:46:19 AM10/4/02
>How do you keep from getting a big "canopy" of pie crust over the apples? My
>wife makes a fantastic pie, but when the apples cook down the crust stays
>intact and there is a large void.
>Ed

A lattice work crust may help but I have never had a problem w/ the canopy.
Not that I don't have one, just that it's not an issue with me. IMO That's
what home made apple pies are supposed to look like :)
Glad your wife makes a good pie :)
(oh .. my apple pie also got me in good with my soon to be father in law :) a
real ice breaker.
~Kat

Billy

Oct 4, 2002, 9:13:53 AM10/4/02
>>How do you keep from getting a big "canopy" of pie crust over the apples? My
>>wife makes a fantastic pie, but when the apples cook down the crust stays
>>intact and there is a large void.
>>Ed

Ed...........I used to have that problem also and it might have something to do
with the apples that you are using. Some apples just cook down more than
others. I prefer Gala's and Granny Smith for pies since they hold their shape
better.

To help with the problem, I have been precooking the apples on the stovetop
before adding to crust. This helps when you begin baking and they have already
collapsed some.

Good luck and happy baking!

Jerry Avins

Oct 4, 2002, 11:17:38 AM10/4/02

You remind me of the first pie my mother made. (Apple pie, with Flako
piecrust mix. I was around fourteen.) She had forgotten to pierce the
top crust, and it inflated before it hardened. When it came out of the
oven, I dubbed it "pie ala mountain", but of course it was mostly
hollow. After the first slice had been cut (neatly: I kept the knives
sharp even then), it became "pie ala teepee".

The Hackett Family

Oct 4, 2002, 2:21:51 PM10/4/02
<snip>

(oh .. my apple pie also got me in good with my soon to be father in law :)
real ice breaker.
~Kat
------------

<giggle> I got in good with my FIL by making a Key Lime Pie with a
chocolate cookie crust.

It's good to see you posting Kat... seemed like I didn't see much of you
here for a while.

Cyndi

the Fleming

Oct 6, 2002, 8:12:38 AM10/6/02
Billy wrote in message <8s4rpu0ehhdfoj80m...@4ax.com>...

>>>How do you keep from getting a big "canopy" of pie crust over the apples?
My
>>>wife makes a fantastic pie, but when the apples cook down the crust stays
>>>intact and there is a large void.
>>>Ed
>
>Ed...........I used to have that problem also and it might have something
to do
>with the apples that you are using. Some apples just cook down more than
>others. I prefer Gala's and Granny Smith for pies since they hold their
shape
>better.
>
>To help with the problem, I have been precooking the apples on the stovetop
>before adding to crust. This helps when you begin baking and they have
already
>collapsed some.

That's what I was going to suggest. :o)

the Fleming

Jarkat2002

Oct 11, 2002, 8:21:59 AM10/11/02
>It's good to see you posting Kat... seemed like I didn't see much of you
>here for a while.
>
>Cyndi

Thanks Cyndi,
I have been pretty sick w/ this pregnancy. :( In the hospital for a few days
and now I'm on home IV's.
I'm feeling better but still not all that great so cooking isn't exactly on my
list of fun things to do right now!
Oh... and my address has changed ... I'm using AOL now and not compuserve.
~Kat

The Hackett Family

Oct 12, 2002, 2:27:08 PM10/12/02

Thanks Cyndi,
I have been pretty sick w/ this pregnancy. :( In the hospital for a few
days
and now I'm on home IV's.
I'm feeling better but still not all that great so cooking isn't exactly on
my
list of fun things to do right now!
Oh... and my address has changed ... I'm using AOL now and not compuserve.
~Kat
----------

I'm so glad you're doing better. You would think, that in the 21st century
pregnancies could be ... ummm... controlled (?) in such a manner that they
would all be pleasant and well... un-sick-like. LOL I think that's another
reason why Rick and I didn't have any after Nathan... the pregnancy was a
breeze, the kid was/is cute and quite frankly, we just didn't want to jinx
it. We just *knew* that the second one would be an absolute terror!
<giggle>

My thoughts and prayers are with you that things continue to get better.
Please keep us posted.

Take care,
Cyndi

CatBerly24

Oct 21, 2002, 11:12:52 PM10/21/02
tring to find diffrent stuff to make.
my old stuff is boring.

Joseph

Oct 22, 2002, 1:08:38 AM10/22/02
CatBerly24 wrote:

> tring to find diffrent stuff to make.
> my old stuff is boring.

heres a few recipies that while not absolutly original are just
differant enough that they might be interesting to you.

Dusene teleci na kmine (veal ragout with caraway seeds)

2 pounds boneless shoulder of veal cut into 1 inch cubes
(beef may be used as well)
salt
freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
2 tablespoons flour
1&1/2 tablespoons caraway seeds
1 & 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms

Sfprinkle the veal (or beef) cubes with salt and a few grindings of
peppper. Over medium heat in a large skillet, melt the butter. When
the foam subsides, add the onions and cook them 6 to 8 minutes, or until
translucent. Stir in the veal (or beef) cubes and sprinkle the flour
and caraway seeds over them. Stir again to coat the meat evenly with
the mixture. Cover tightly and cook over very low heat for 10 minutes,
shaking the pan every now and then to keep the meat from sticking. Stir
in the stock (scraping up any browned bits of flour), bring to a boil
and reduce the heat to low. Add the mushrooms, cover and simmer for 1
hour, or until the meat is tender. Add more stock by the tablespoon if
the meat seems too dry or the stock too thick. Taste for seasoning and
serve. this ragout is traditionally served with buttered noodles.

Stuffed Peppers Neapolitan style
-------------------------------------

4 large peppers
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup toasted bread crumbs
12 black olives, pitted and cut into pieces
6 anchovy filets, rinsed and cut into small pieces (or
pureed/crushed to a pulp)
1 tableespoon chopped parsley
1 tablespoon chopped basil
2 tablespoons capers
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup tomato sauce

wash peppers, with sharp knife cut all around the stem removing it
together with all the seed inside thus leaving an opening through which
stufffing may be pushed.

mix together the 1/2 cup olive oil, bread crumbs, anchovies, parsley,
basil, capers, salt and pepper..

Mix very well, and if stuffing seems too dry add more oil.

stuff pepper and place them, standing up, in a deep baking dish.

pour the 4 tablespoons olive oil over the stuffed peppers and top each
with 1 tablespoon tomato sauce.

bake in a moderate oven (375 degrees F) 1 hour. can be served either
hot or cold.

Pasta al cavolfiore (pasta with cauliflower)

1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium cauliflower, broken into 1 inch flowerets
3 medium cloves of crushed garlic
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons basil
2 cups tomato puree
salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
2 cups mixed, grated parmesan, and cheddar cheeses
1 pound thin spaghetti

heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a deep, heavy skillet. add crushed
garlic, bay leaf and basil. saute about one minute, then add
cauliflower, and sprinkle it with about 1 teaspoon salt. saute until
the cauliflower is tender. youy might want to add some water (1/4-1/2
cup) to steam it along. when cauliflower is tender add tomato puree,
and lower to a simmer for 15 or so minutes.

meanwhile cook the spaghetti in plenty of boiling water 8-10 minutes
drain and toss with remaining olive oil, butter and half the cheese.
spread onto a large platter and pour the cauliflower sauce over. top
with more cheese and serve immediatly.

in all the above recipies canola oil may be successfully substituted
for olive oil.

--
Joseph ( The probability for an event which can happen in two
indistinguishable ways is the sum of the probability for each way