Printing problem: "Assertion failed!"

MWR

Feb 11, 2002, 10:40:58 AM2/11/02
More joy on QB 2001 (UK version 9):

In trying to print from QB I receive an error message headed:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Assertion failed
Program.....QBW32.exe File: \qb106\source\WPR\SRC\fntcach.cpp Line: 295

Expression: font<=USR_FONT_HANDLE_SEED)&&[font>=USR_FONT_HANDLE_LAST]

The next lines invite me to look up Visuall C++ documentation on asserts
and Retry to debug the application.

Uh? Needless to say, I am confused and overtaxed with this. If QB is
made for people who needn't know about accounting is a knowledge of
Visual C++ now a prerequisite?

Any help with this, anyone???? This error has never shown up on anything
outside of QB so am I right in assuming that this is one more QB bug?

MWR

Duane Bozarth

Feb 11, 2002, 11:42:43 AM2/11/02
This implies a problem related to a particular font...you might try
changing fonts and seeing if you can bypass it that way or check that
the requested font is available for the requested printer.

Oh, one other thought--you aren't trying to use the new Euro symbol
perhaps and don't have it in the font table?

Jeff H

Feb 11, 2002, 12:57:39 PM2/11/02
Very interesting. An Assertion is a special test in the code that tests if a
particular boolean condition is true. These are rarely left in shipping
versions of a product, because they are designed to halt an application when
the test fails and provide specific debugging information.

Expression: (font<=USR_FONT_HANDLE_SEED)&&(font>=USR_FONT_HANDLE_LAST)

The above is what is being tested by the Assert. The "&&" operator in C++ is
an "AND" -- in other words, both expressions must be true. So for the
Assertion to fail, at least one of the "font<=..." or "font>=..."
expressions is false.

It appears that QB is not liking something Windows is handing to it
regarding fonts.

Of course you don't want to have to care about that! But it does provide you
with more clues than a lot of error messages. Try using a different printer
or printer driver. Font errors can relate to printer drivers. If that
doesn't help, try changing the font settings in the QB print setup dialogs.

--

-Jeff Hamblin
Qtools Software

"MWR" <mwr...@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:a48ojh$cvm$2...@wanadoo.fr...

> More joy on QB 2001 (UK version 9):
>
> In trying to print from QB I receive an error message headed:
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
>
> Assertion failed
> Program.....QBW32.exe File: \qb106\source\WPR\SRC\fntcach.cpp Line: 295
>
> Expression: font<=USR_FONT_HANDLE_SEED)&&[font>=USR_FONT_HANDLE_LAST]

MWR

Feb 13, 2002, 7:14:19 AM2/13/02
I am using QB own default settings in the print jobs which bring the
program crashing down and my printer or its drivers is far from exotic.

I can live with a print job that fails, and maybe try again. But this
error crashes QB and has frozen my computer too many times and is a
considerable nuisance.

No cheers to shoddy QB programming.

MWR

"Jeff H" <EmailAd...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

Duane Bozarth

Feb 13, 2002, 10:20:44 AM2/13/02
Have you tried setting another default printer to see if that will make
any difference? Even if you don't have a second, you can direct output
to file and see if the problem appears related to specific printer
drivers, for example.

But, I agree, this is the kind of thing that drives me absolutely mad
regarding Intuit's support policies. If they would just solve the
problem <first>, then worry about assessing fault and collecting if it
isn't their problem, it would make all the difference in the world about
attitude.

Sidney Schultz

Feb 13, 2002, 11:00:47 AM2/13/02
A client (using QuickBooks Pro 2001) had a similar problem.
He un-installed the printer and then re-installed it
to solve his problem.
They have 5 computers networked, one being the server
with a central printer,
this printer (with the problem) is directly connected to his computer.

Keep smiling

Sidney Schultz
Vancouver, BC
www.biz-CLINIC.com

Doc

Feb 14, 2002, 1:23:48 AM2/14/02
In the CDN version of 2001, the assertion failure is a bug (deferred) and
was never repaired....

Try this....Delete the qbprint.qbp file, and reboot the machine...