Which is the best?

Francis Parker

Nov 15, 2004, 2:49:08 AM11/15/04
A friend is planning to upgrade his computer this
coming Friday when he gets paid, because of
Half-Life 2. I would like to do the same, and buy
his existing graphics card off of him. I currently
have a XFX Geforce 6800GT in my machine, and
my friend has a Cirrus Logic 5446. He's suggested
that we make a swap because he claims that the
Cirrus Logic is much better the the 6800GT. I'm
all for this, in threory, but he also wants me to give
him £50 too. I can appreciate that the Cirrus Logic
must be a very high-end card (simply because I
can't find any regular retailers that sell them), but
is it also worth the extra £50? I don't want to get
duped here.

Paul

Nov 15, 2004, 4:55:55 AM11/15/04
LOL

Cindy M.

Nov 15, 2004, 5:11:36 AM11/15/04
I think your friend may be trying to pull a fast one on you here.

Paul Williams

Nov 15, 2004, 5:21:47 AM11/15/04

Cindy M. wrote:

I think our Mr. Parker is a troll. But you never know, there could
be people out there who don't know how to use Google to get the
gen on stuff! If this is genuine Francis then dump your "friend",
because he isn't one!

PRIVATE1964

Nov 15, 2004, 9:53:49 AM11/15/04
>I think our Mr. Parker is a troll. But you never know, there could
>be people out there who don't know how to use Google to get the
>gen on stuff! If this is genuine Francis then dump your "friend",
>because he isn't one!

Why what's wrong with the Cirrus Logic?

Paul

Nov 15, 2004, 10:06:42 AM11/15/04

Nothing at all.

Scotter

Nov 15, 2004, 10:22:18 AM11/15/04
For those who don't realize this Cirrus Logic card came out in 2000 or 2001:
http://www.video-drivers.com/drivers/23/23814.htm

"Francis Parker" <Francis...@Yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>A friend is planning to upgrade his computer this
> coming Friday when he gets paid, because of
> Half-Life 2. I would like to do the same, and buy
> his existing graphics card off of him. I currently
> have a XFX Geforce 6800GT in my machine, and
> my friend has a Cirrus Logic 5446. He's suggested
> that we make a swap because he claims that the
> Cirrus Logic is much better the the 6800GT. I'm
> all for this, in threory, but he also wants me to give

> him Ł50 too. I can appreciate that the Cirrus Logic

> must be a very high-end card (simply because I
> can't find any regular retailers that sell them), but

> is it also worth the extra Ł50? I don't want to get
> duped here.

twobirds

Nov 15, 2004, 10:25:30 AM11/15/04

Shawk

Nov 15, 2004, 10:23:47 AM11/15/04

If you were a proper friend you would give him £75. Cirrus are
collectors items you know!

procerus

Nov 15, 2004, 1:00:45 PM11/15/04
If you want to play any DOS games with a decent refresh rate then the Cirrus
Logic card *IS* far superior.

Because the 6800 won't let you set the refresh rate in DOS using standard
VESA calls.

Whilst the Cirrus Logic card lets you use its CLMODE TSR to set the rate to
whatever you choose.

So, if you want to play DOS games in Windows or DOS with something better
than a 60Hz-headache-inducing refresh rate then the Cirrus Logic card is
obviously better. Because nVidia dropped the VESA refresh rate ball after
the GeForce2 for no other reason than they couldn't be bothered. Which is a
shame because they made thousands of games less playable because they're
just too lazy to pay attention to *important* details.

procerus

"Francis Parker" <Francis...@Yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

PRIVATE1964

Nov 15, 2004, 2:01:29 PM11/15/04
>http://tinyurl.com/3mhza

That's Refurbished, I'm sure new would be worth much more then $20.

PRIVATE1964

Nov 15, 2004, 2:02:48 PM11/15/04
>For those who don't realize this Cirrus Logic card came out in 2000 or 2001:

I've just been joking. Do they still even make graphic cards today?

PRIVATE1964

Nov 15, 2004, 2:04:00 PM11/15/04
>If you were a proper friend you would give him £75. Cirrus are
>collectors items you know!

That's right the price is right up there with an actual piece of the Titanic.

YavolGurrick

Nov 15, 2004, 2:34:51 PM11/15/04

"Cindy M." <bcmi...@mchsi.com> wrote in message

[Cirrus Logic 5446 swap for XFX 6800GT]

> I think your friend may be trying to pull a fast one on you here.

But the Cirrus Logic has a 2Mb upgrade. Mine doesn't.

Tim

Nov 15, 2004, 5:16:37 PM11/15/04

"Shawk" <sh...@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message

> Cirrus are collectors items you know!

I use mine to keep a window wedged open.

Alex

Nov 15, 2004, 6:14:18 PM11/15/04
Right, im going to get one of these as a secondary card, for DOS apps and
games.

Which is best, DOS or Windows?

--

Alex.

"procerus" <som...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

Nerdillius Maximus

Nov 15, 2004, 7:51:54 PM11/15/04

> A friend is planning to upgrade his computer this
> coming Friday when he gets paid, because of
> Half-Life 2. I would like to do the same, and buy
> his existing graphics card off of him. I currently
> have a XFX Geforce 6800GT in my machine, and
> my friend has a Cirrus Logic 5446. He's suggested
> that we make a swap because he claims that the
> Cirrus Logic is much better the the 6800GT. I'm
> all for this, in threory, but he also wants me to give
> him Ł50 too. I can appreciate that the Cirrus Logic

> must be a very high-end card (simply because I
> can't find any regular retailers that sell them), but
> is it also worth the extra Ł50? I don't want to get
> duped here.

If you're really serious, which you shouldn't be:

a) Read a little. Become informed.

b) Beware of "friends" feeding you crap to take advantage of your naivete.

c) Ask him to demonstrate his assertions, laugh at his attempts, then find
some better friends.

d) Don't even think about it.

Or mail me the Ł50 and I'll give you a Trident Blade 3d which is even faster
than that CL piece of obsolescence! ;-)

Cirrus went out of the graphics business long ago...

Any questions?

YavolGurrick

Nov 15, 2004, 8:14:31 PM11/15/04

"Nerdillius Maximus" <nob...@nowhere.net> wrote in message

> "Francis Parker" <Francis...@Yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

[A decent trade]

> If you're really serious, which you shouldn't be:
>
> a) Read a little. Become informed.
>
> b) Beware of "friends" feeding you crap to take advantage of your naivete.
>
> c) Ask him to demonstrate his assertions, laugh at his attempts, then find
> some better friends.
>
> d) Don't even think about it.
>

> Or mail me the £50 and I'll give you a Trident Blade 3d which is even

> faster
> than that CL piece of obsolescence! ;-)
>
> Cirrus went out of the graphics business long ago...
>
> Any questions?

Yes, just one: so is it a fair card-for-card swap then? If I get to keep
the
£50 I could spend it on a Pentium he's willing to sell me, that overclocks
to a rock solid 120Mhz.

Nerdillius Maximus

Nov 15, 2004, 8:22:27 PM11/15/04

"YavolGurrick" <YavolG...@Yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Nerdillius Maximus" <nob...@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Francis Parker" <Francis...@Yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> [A decent trade]
>
> > If you're really serious, which you shouldn't be:
> >
> > a) Read a little. Become informed.
> >
> > b) Beware of "friends" feeding you crap to take advantage of your
naivete.

> > c) Ask him to demonstrate his assertions, laugh at his attempts, then
find
> > some better friends.
> >
> > d) Don't even think about it.
> >
> > Or mail me the £50 and I'll give you a Trident Blade 3d which is even
> > faster
> > than that CL piece of obsolescence! ;-)
> >
> > Cirrus went out of the graphics business long ago...
> >
> > Any questions?
>
> Yes, just one: so is it a fair card-for-card swap then?

Sure! There's a troll born every minute! ;-PpPpPpPp

If I get to keep
> the
> £50 I could spend it on a Pentium he's willing to sell me, that overclocks
> to a rock solid 120Mhz.

Kewl, but I got that beat! I have an old AMD 5x86133 box in my pile that
runs at 166 MHz, with a Rendition card I'd be willing to swap ;-) And it
shpanks a P90 >;^) (I know, "don't brag"...)

Nerdillius Maximus

Nov 15, 2004, 8:34:29 PM11/15/04

"Alex" <alex@home> wrote in message

> Right, im going to get one of these as a secondary card, for DOS apps and
> games.
>
> Which is best, DOS or Windows?

You mean, which is least error-prone, perhaps? And which is more secure?
DOS, hands-down. Especially with the pretty background, and increased, more
balanced carpal exercise. But it's far less job security for we
techie-types...so it just HAD to die...

Bronney Hui

Nov 15, 2004, 5:33:17 AM11/15/04
Franky,

My Trident pwns the Cirrus Logics! drop me a mail and I will swap your GT
anyday.

"Francis Parker" <Francis...@Yahoo.co.uk> 在郵件
news:2vr5bkF...@uni-berlin.de 中撰寫...

> A friend is planning to upgrade his computer this
> coming Friday when he gets paid, because of
> Half-Life 2. I would like to do the same, and buy
> his existing graphics card off of him. I currently
> have a XFX Geforce 6800GT in my machine, and
> my friend has a Cirrus Logic 5446. He's suggested
> that we make a swap because he claims that the
> Cirrus Logic is much better the the 6800GT. I'm
> all for this, in threory, but he also wants me to give

> him ?0 too. I can appreciate that the Cirrus Logic

> must be a very high-end card (simply because I
> can't find any regular retailers that sell them), but

> is it also worth the extra ?0? I don't want to get
> duped here.

Georg Schwarz

Nov 16, 2004, 10:01:37 AM11/16/04

haha

with such friends you don´t need any foes.

from which tribe of trolls are you?

G-ORK

trandiONLA

Nov 16, 2004, 1:41:19 PM11/16/04

"procerus" <som...@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If you want to play any DOS games with a decent refresh rate then the
Cirrus
> Logic card *IS* far superior.
>
> Because the 6800 won't let you set the refresh rate in DOS using standard
> VESA calls.
>
> Whilst the Cirrus Logic card lets you use its CLMODE TSR to set the rate
> whatever you choose.
>
> So, if you want to play DOS games in Windows or DOS with something better
> than a 60Hz-headache-inducing refresh rate then the Cirrus Logic card is
> obviously better. Because nVidia dropped the VESA refresh rate ball after
> the GeForce2 for no other reason than they couldn't be bothered. Which is
> shame because they made thousands of games less playable because they're
> just too lazy to pay attention to *important* details.

I use a GeForce ti 4200 (VBE3.0) to play dos games in 100hz or any rate I
want (Dos and win9x/2k/XP dosbox).
Probably the 6800 doesn't even come with vesa at all in the bios. Just load
a vbe tsr.

J. Clarke

Nov 17, 2004, 2:06:46 PM11/17/04
PRIVATE1964 wrote:

Nothing except that 7 years of Moore's Law have gone by since.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

PRIVATE1964

Nov 17, 2004, 5:49:06 PM11/17/04
>Nothing except that 7 years of Moore's Law have gone by since.

lol...so true.

First of One

Nov 21, 2004, 2:06:58 AM11/21/04
Yes, but the Cirrus Logic only gets 27000 3DMarks. Is that good?

Tell your friend I've got a Hercules card from an IBM XT. It runs off the
high-performance ISA bus, with the card flipped backwards for optimum
cooling...