Problems With NVS 280 and LCD Resolution

Will

Jan 19, 2006, 1:19:08 AM1/19/06
I have an LCD that does 1920 x 1080p resolution. When I connect it using
a VGA port to monitor #1 on an nVidia NVS 280 64 MB PCI-Express card, I am
able to configure the full resolution of 1920 x 1080p under Windows XP at up
to 75 Hz. NVS 280 uses a high density port that splits into two VGAs or
two DVI-D ports, based on what kind of splitter cable you use.

When I connect to monitor #1 on a DVD-D cable splitter then connected to the
LCD on its DVI-D port, now the Windows XP system starts up at 1280x1024, and
all higher resolutions have been removed. Under the Advanced display
properties, the List All Modes button for the adapter agrees that the max
display is 1280x1024. Unlike Windows 2000, Windows XP apparently has no
checkbox next to List All Modes to force display of higher resolutions than
what the driver thinks it can support.

What kind of interaction between the LCD and the card would cause this
anomolous behavior? As soon as I switch back to VGA cables I'm back to
being able to support 1920x1080p.

--
Will

First of One

Jan 21, 2006, 6:29:49 PM1/21/06
The NVS 280 is limited to 1600x1200 using the DVI-D connection. Even that
resolution requires reduced blanking. There should be an option in the
nVidia control panels to enable "reduced DVI frequency" or something to that
effect.

"Will" <weste...@noemail.nospam> wrote in message

Will

Jan 21, 2006, 9:23:19 PM1/21/06
What is the minimum version of the GEForce 6800 required to run 1920 x 1080p
on an LCD without any compromises?

--
Will

"First of One" <dax...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

First of One

Jan 21, 2006, 10:03:33 PM1/21/06
Find a reputable-brand 6800 with dual DVI outputs. The 1st output is driven
internally by the GPU, and it's very weak. The 2nd output uses an external
TMDS, and can usually drive 1920x1080p with reduced-blanking. An example of
such a card would be the MSI NX6800 Ultra:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/29/the_tft_connection/page20.html

"Will" <weste...@noemail.nospam> wrote in message

Will

Jan 22, 2006, 1:08:12 AM1/22/06
Very weak means what? Less signal power and cable distance must be
shorter? 1920x1080 would be interlaced?

--
Will

"First of One" <dax...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Will

Jan 22, 2006, 1:13:05 AM1/22/06
What is the comparable quality of the XFX GeForce 6800 with dual DVI?

--
Will

First of One

Jan 22, 2006, 1:31:50 AM1/22/06
"Weak" as in the 6800's internal TMDS runs at only 141 MHz, which means it
needs reduced-blanking just to do 1600x1200. 1920x1080 would be out of reach
completely.

BTW, all this "progressive" and "interlaced" crap are thrown around only for
home-theater applications, because they relate to the HDTV broadcast
standard. PC displays are always progressive. 1920x1080 is just another
resolution, with 8% more pixels than 1600x1200.