Losing time when watching videos fullscreen on my old CRT TV.

Ant

Feb 17, 2011, 9:10:24 AM2/17/11
Hello.

How come my PC/Windows' clock loses a few seconds per minute (seems to
pause about every four or five seconds for about a half of a second)
when I use CRT TV clone and watching videos fullscreen on my old 20" CRT
TV (from 1996)? If I am not watching videos on it or use single display
mode to my DVI/VGA 19" LCD monitor (1280x1024) with videos, then I have
no problems.

I used ATI Catalyst suite display drivers (v9.7 and v10.12) to clone to
my old 20" CRT TV to show videos fullscreen. I am using an old updated
Windows XP Pro. SP3, 2+ years old ATI Radeon 4870 video card (512 MB of
RAM), Intel quad-core systems, etc.

What's up with that and how do I fix it? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"He was a musical ant. He was there for the song." --Rick (Rick Moranis
episode from The Muppets)

PhxGrunge

Feb 17, 2011, 1:18:35 PM2/17/11

"Ant" <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote in message

Running a video will not affect the time. Time is kept through the bios
only. Windows reports only the time kept in the bios.
While running, the power supply is responsibe with providing a constant 3.3
V to the bios.

Check your bios battery, but doubt that is the problem.

More likely your power supply is being stressed too far while running a
videl causing the 3.3 V line to drop.

Ant

Feb 17, 2011, 7:39:40 PM2/17/11
> > Hello.
> >
> > How come my PC/Windows' clock loses a few seconds per minute (seems to
> > pause about every four or five seconds for about a half of a second) when
> > I use CRT TV clone and watching videos fullscreen on my old 20" CRT TV
> > (from 1996)? If I am not watching videos on it or use single display mode
> > to my DVI/VGA 19" LCD monitor (1280x1024) with videos, then I have no
> > problems.
> >
> > I used ATI Catalyst suite display drivers (v9.7 and v10.12) to clone to my
> > old 20" CRT TV to show videos fullscreen. I am using an old updated
> > Windows XP Pro. SP3, 2+ years old ATI Radeon 4870 video card (512 MB of
> > RAM), Intel quad-core systems, etc.
> >
> > What's up with that and how do I fix it? Thank you in advance. :)

> Running a video will not affect the time. Time is kept through the bios

> only. Windows reports only the time kept in the bios.
> While running, the power supply is responsibe with providing a constant 3.3
> V to the bios.

> Check your bios battery, but doubt that is the problem.

Hmm, I used two different CPUs, motherboards, batteries, and PSUs
already. Even if it was the battery, doesn't the PC use PSU for power? I
don't have time losses when the PC is off for a long time (e.g., all
day).

> More likely your power supply is being stressed too far while running a
> videl causing the 3.3 V line to drop.

Is that stress same as playing computer games, running benchmarks, etc.?
If so, then I have not seen any time losses. It only happens with
fullscreen video to my TV.
--
Quote of the Week: "I once heard the survivors of a colony of ants that
had been partially obliterated by a cow's foot seriously debating the

| |o o| |

\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting,
( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.

PhxGrunge

Feb 18, 2011, 8:20:00 AM2/18/11

"Ant" <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote in message

Then, the video card is pulling too much power when the secondary display is
used.

Running a computer card, if secondary is not on, will not stress the
secondary output on the video card.
Same when running computer games.

Does sound like a flaw in the video card using too much 3.3 V power that is
affecting the bios timekeeping.

Does Windows eventually correct the time after a few minutes after shutting
off the secondary display (TV)?
Could be a clone code problem, but bet on the video card itself.

Ant

Feb 19, 2011, 11:12:23 AM2/19/11
On 2/18/2011 5:20 AM PT, PhxGrunge typed:

>>> More likely your power supply is being stressed too far while running a
>>> videl causing the 3.3 V line to drop.
>>
>> Is that stress same as playing computer games, running benchmarks, etc.?
>> If so, then I have not seen any time losses. It only happens with
>> fullscreen video to my TV.
>

> Then, the video card is pulling too much power when the secondary display is
> used.

Hmm, I already tried two different good brand PSUs (600 watts SeaSonic
S12 and Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650 watts ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire
Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC) too.

> Running a computer card, if secondary is not on, will not stress the
> secondary output on the video card.
> Same when running computer games.
>
> Does sound like a flaw in the video card using too much 3.3 V power that is
> affecting the bios timekeeping.

Hmm. I never had this problem with NVIDIA GeForce video cards (7950 GT
KO was the last one) before NVIDIA decided to yank the fullscreen video
overlay feature out of its newer drivers to force me to go to an ATI
video card over two years ago. :(

> Does Windows eventually correct the time after a few minutes after shutting
> off the secondary display (TV)?

Yes, if Internet time synchronizes with a NTP server and does not time out.

> Could be a clone code problem, but bet on the video card itself.

Is it all ATI video cards or just the one I had for over two years? It
is a MSI R4870-T2D512 OC Radeon HD 4870 512 MB (S-video+composite cables
and adapter connected to Toshiba W-627 VCR to a January 1996 20" Sharp
CRT TV). You can see more of my current primary computer specifications
on http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ...
--
"The shadows now so long do grow,... That brambles like tall cedars
show,... Molehills seem mountains, and the ant... Appears a monstrous
/\___/\ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)

| |o o| |

Ant

Feb 19, 2011, 11:33:02 AM2/19/11
FYI. In http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1336503410 forum
thread, http://www.thesycon.de/dpclat/dpclat.exe (DPC Latency Checker)
was mentioned so I tried it.

I started this program with a clone of my desktop to CRT TV (640x480).
Green and low results. Then, I started up a fullscreen MPEG-2 HD video.
Then, things shot up with yellow and red.

I stopped after a few seconds with enough datas. I exited dpclat.exe and
put my display back to single display to my 19" LCD monitor (1280x1024)
only. I repeated the tests, but they appeared to be similiar:
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3854/startedplayingmpeg2vide.gif and
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3854/startedplayingmpeg2vide.gif ... What
do you think? They look identical to me. The time slow down only happens
in clone display mode with fullscreen videos.

On 2/17/2011 6:10 AM PT, Ant typed:

> Hello.
>
> How come my PC/Windows' clock loses a few seconds per minute (seems to
> pause about every four or five seconds for about a half of a second)
> when I use CRT TV clone and watching videos fullscreen on my old 20" CRT
> TV (from 1996)? If I am not watching videos on it or use single display
> mode to my DVI/VGA 19" LCD monitor (1280x1024) with videos, then I have
> no problems.
>
> I used ATI Catalyst suite display drivers (v9.7 and v10.12) to clone to
> my old 20" CRT TV to show videos fullscreen. I am using an old updated
> Windows XP Pro. SP3, 2+ years old ATI Radeon 4870 video card (512 MB of
> RAM), Intel quad-core systems, etc.
>
> What's up with that and how do I fix it? Thank you in advance. :)

--
"When the water rises the fish eat the ants, when the water falls the
ants eat the fish." --Thai Proverb

/\___/\ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| |

"Ladies and gentlemen, hoboes and tramps...Crosseyed Mosquitoes and
bow-legged ants...I've come to tell you the story..." --Bob Holman

Ant

Feb 19, 2011, 7:23:25 PM2/19/11
Weird. It looks like I isolated down to more. It seems like DVI setup
and has nothing to do with clone fullscreen video on TV. If I use
DVI+VGA adapter + VGA cables setup through my old four ports OmniCube
KVM (from Y2K with its cables), then no time losses. This doesn't make
any sense to me! :( What is different with DVI and VGA cables and its
connectors+DVI adapter? Does DVI have something to tell my computer's
timer or something?

Also, this is with a 19" Samsung 931BF LCD monitor (1280x1024) with both
DVI and VGA ports on its back. I even tried unplugging VGA cable,
switching to another DVI cable, and same problem. Ugh.

FYI, it is not onboard audio since I disabled it, rebooted (required as
it told me), and played more fullscreen videos to CRT TV.

On 2/19/2011 8:33 AM PT, Ant typed:

* <-- Tribble ... *********************** <-- Tribbles imitating ants
(unknown author)

/\___/\ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| |

"Ants follow fat." --unknown

Ant

Feb 20, 2011, 5:00:52 AM2/20/11
http://pastebin.com/nfAG7kt9 for my ATI event logs. I don't know if
those are good or bad. :(

On 2/19/2011 4:23 PM PT, Ant typed:

"I'm not a worker ant. I'm like a queen. Or maybe a king. But you never
hear of king ants." --Sean Bentley

Ant

Feb 21, 2011, 4:11:46 PM2/21/11
FYI: Someone, in that rage3d forum thread, suggested HPET setting in
CMOS/BIOS. I found it and disabled it since it was enabled. I also
changed my KVM to a two ports to see if that helps. Both did not fix it.

I am changing the CMOS setting back later when I reboot again.

On 2/19/2011 8:33 AM PT, Ant typed:

> FYI. In http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1336503410 forum

"A marvelous creature. A model of specialization... Who else could suck
an ant up his nose and enjoy it?" --About anteaters, "B.C." strip by
Johnny Hart