P4C800 Deluxe "Overclocking failed", random shutdowns during startup

Magnus Nordén

Jun 26, 2006, 9:08:51 AM6/26/06

I am running a P4 3.2 GHz on a P4C800 Deluxe mobo without any problems since
two years.

Since about 2 weeks ago I am experiencing random shutdowns during startup.
When the machine reaches the Win XP desktop it just shuts down after say 10
seconds. Then, when I restart it, I get a BIOS message to the effect that
"Overclocking failed. Press F1 to ... or F2" etc.

I then just turn the power off and boot up again, and usually the machine is
fine after that.

Now, I am not overclocking, so what is going on here? I have not made any
changes to the system just before this started happening. CPU fan speeds and
temps etc are fine and I have cleaned the case from dust.

These shutdowns occur almost daily, always during the startup cycle, never
when Windows has been up and running for more than say 1 minute.

Any suggestions and help greatly appreciated.

Magnus
Stockholm, Sweden

Paul

Jun 27, 2006, 4:36:06 AM6/27/06
In article <j%Qng.2735$YI3.2420@amstwist00>, "Magnus Nordén"
<magnus...@chello.se> wrote:

I would start by trying a different power supply.

The shutdown could be the power supply switching off when
the load from the Windows desktop happens.

Or it could be a motherboard problem, with power_good,
I suppose. (Power_good deasserted due to some problem with
voltage conversion on the motherboard ?) But since power
supply failures are more common than motherboard failures,
start by trying a spare power supply.

Paul

Ghostrider

Jun 27, 2006, 9:44:39 PM6/27/06

Magnus Nordén wrote:

Have seen this happen when UPS batteries become old and not
supporting a cold start of the computer while the UPS circuits
stabilize the mains.

If not using a UPS, then the PSU becomes suspect, especially
when it is less than 400 Watts for a system like the P4C800.

Magnus Nordén

Jun 28, 2006, 2:52:09 PM6/28/06

Thanks for replying. Please indicate how a PSU problem may arise so
suddenly, without any hardware changes. Also, why would a PSU problem cause
the "Overclocking failed" message from the BIOS.

I do not use any UPS, btw.

I belive the PSU is at least 400 W but I will double check.

All the best,

Magnus

"Ghostrider" <-0...@fitron.142> wrote in message

Magnus Nordén

BC

Jun 28, 2006, 3:56:25 PM6/28/06
Magnus Nordén wrote:

> Thanks for replying. Please indicate how a PSU problem may arise so
> suddenly, without any hardware changes. Also, why would a PSU problem cause
> the "Overclocking failed" message from the BIOS.

Dear Magnus,

over time, the capacitors in a power supply will lose their efficacy;
heat takes a toll on all such devices; magnets lose their "charge".

I am no Paul (i.e. I am not as smarts), but here is a link to an article
discussing why power supplies fail:

http://www-03.ibm.com/procurement/proweb.nsf/objectdocswebview/file14+-+malik+power+supply+failure+-+final/$file/14+malik+power+supply+failure+-+final.pdf

But, in summary, like any machine, it wears out with use.

> I do not use any UPS, btw.

A UPS is really helpful--lightning, power surges, brown outs,
etc....they help protect the power supply and PC.

> I belive the PSU is at least 400 W but I will double check.

That's sort of on the low end now I think. Also, "400 W" from a no-name
vendor is not the same as 400W from PC Power and Cooling:

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/technology/myths/

Good brands: PC PC, Seasonic, Antec, Enermax have all been good in my
experience, with PC Power and Cooling being one level above all the
rest. (No, I don't work for them, but, when recommending parts for
friends, I alwasy insist on a PCPC unit, so I don't have to second guess
the PSU if there are any problems.)

By the way, when I was building a new PC, got the "overclocking failed"
message becuase the power supply I was using (a Seasonic 430) wasn't
powerful enough for the Intel 955 chipset and a 630 CPU. As I recall,
my searches at the time clearly pointed to the power supply as the root
cause of that notification from the motherboard.

HTH,

BC

Roger Hamlett

Jun 28, 2006, 4:35:43 PM6/28/06

"Magnus Nordén" <magnus...@chello.se> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for replying. Please indicate how a PSU problem may arise so
> suddenly, without any hardware changes. Also, why would a PSU problem
> cause the "Overclocking failed" message from the BIOS.
>
> All the best,
>
> Magnus
Unfortunately, the 'overclocking failed' message, is probably one of the
most stupid things ever invented. The system generates it if _anything_
stops it proceeding through a normal boot, and it then switches to the
minimum default settings (which are crippled relative to the 'normal'
default running settings), and gives this message. I have seen it from
probably a hundred different causes, including several 'odd' hardware
ones. A PSU problem (or possibly even more likely, a problem with the
motherboard supply inverter generating the processor supply rail - a
capacitor failure here, was a common problem a while ago), can generate
this, but so can innumerable other causes...

Best Wishes

Earl Brown

Jun 28, 2006, 8:57:20 PM6/28/06
I don't know if this is your problem since yours has been running so
long but this is something I looked out for when installing my CPU.

This is part of an article from a tech site from 2003

Here is the link if you want to read all the posts. Just search the
page using "solder" as a guide

http://www.techsupportforum.com/archive/index.php/t-6104.html

Earl

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting into this forum. I came
across this topic from a Google search while trying to find out why my
co-workers and myself have been having so many problems with the Asus
P4C800 Deluxe model motherboard as we have had an excellent track
record with Asus in the past. However, since we moved to this
platform, we have had stacks of motherboards that will run for a while
and then fail to post, refuse to install, and so on.

Now we are using 300W and 350W power supplies and stock P4 CPU fans.
Not to mention that some of the mounting brackets for the CPU fans
needed to be tightened as the were so loose they were falling off of
the board. However, I think we have discovered that the source of our
problems is not from the CPU heatsink being too tight, but rather a
mistake on Asus' part during manufacturing.

I do not know what compelled my co-worker to do this, but he took one
of the supposedly "dead" boards and removed the CPU heatsink mounting
bracket to get a good look at the circuitry. There, located beneath
the bracket on the underside of the board, he found the problem. There
is a small glob of solder located beneath where the bracket sits that,
when pressure from the bracket is applied, shorts the motherboard.
Upon cleaning the glob from the contact and resoldering it, the board
now runs perfectly fine with the 350W power supply we have testing.

|To contact me remove xxxSPAMxxx from my address |
(Currently looking for a 10 step program for Gabrielle obsession -
meetings must not take place when X:WP is on.)

Paul

Jun 29, 2006, 4:49:59 AM6/29/06
In article <e396a25cjgersj367...@4ax.com>, Earl Brown
<justxxxSP...@vaxxine.com> wrote:

There is an archived picture of the solder blob problem here.
This picture is of the underside of the motherboard, with the
plastic removed.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040227200251/http://koti.mbnet.fi/~nightops/eki/DSC00249.JPG

But this problem exists only on a small number of motherboards
from the earliest production. The problem would be most likely
to appear during the initial install of the motherboard.

Paul

Magnus Nordén

Jun 30, 2006, 7:28:40 AM6/30/06
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your suggestions. I get fewer instances of this problem the past
days. What worries me though is that I have to try more and more times to
get the machine to boot. It shuts off long before Windows at times, and even
directly after hitting the power button.

I may just go and get me a new PSU and see what happens...

All the best,
Magnus

Magnus Nordén

Jun 30, 2006, 7:30:20 AM6/30/06
Hi Roger,

Thanks for your suggestions. I get fewer instances of this problem the past
days. What worries me though is that I have to try more and more times to
get the machine to boot. It shuts off long before Windows at times, and even
directly after hitting the power button.

I may just go and get me a new PSU and see what happens...

On the other hand, if it is a mobo problem as you seem to suggest, the
what??? A new computer...

All the best,
Magnus
"Roger Hamlett" <rogerspa...@ttelmah.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Magnus Nordén

Jun 30, 2006, 7:34:26 AM6/30/06
Hi BC,

Thanks for your suggestions. I get fewer instances of this problem the past
days. What worries me though is that I have to try more and more times to
get the machine to boot. It shuts off long before Windows at times, and even
directly after hitting the power button.

I may just go and get me a new PSU and see what happens...

The PSU is a Q Technology 400W. It's a good quality one, I think. It still
seems unlikely that it all of a sudden would be underdimensioned for the
same hardware config - remember that this computer has been working 100%
fine for almost 2 years. But perhaps it's a PSU wear problem, as you
suggest.

I will get another one, since that seems to be the next logical step to
take. If that fails, I will have to get a new computer, I guess...

All the best,
Magnus
"BC" <b...@bc.com> wrote in message

Magnus Nordén

Jun 30, 2006, 9:40:28 AM6/30/06
Hi Paul (and all others who have contributed to solving my issue),

I have now ordered An Antec Neo-550HE PSU and I hope this will end my
problem.

All the best,

Magnus

"Paul" <nos...@needed.com> wrote in message

Magnus Nordén

Jul 3, 2006, 8:53:06 AM7/3/06
Hi all who helped,

So far so good. I have just switched PSUs and my computer started alright.
Now, fingers crossed and all such nonsense... How I hope this will cure my
problem!

But only time will tell...

I'll keep you posted.

All the best,