Help on qmail-realrcptto patch

rkello...@yahoo.com

Apr 26, 2005, 6:17:18 AM4/26/05

I've applied the realrcptto patch to my qmail and it works fine.

On the manual it says "If QMAILRRTDENYALL=1 is set in the environment
for qmail-smptd and qmail-qmtpd, then each individual recipient address
will be accepted, but the whole message will be rejected, to stop
attackers from probing for valid addresses."

I'm quite new to qmail, can someone please tell me the specific steps
to set QMAILRRTDENYALL? Details would be appreciated, like which file
and what to modify/add.

Many thanks,
Ron K

Dave Sill

Apr 26, 2005, 8:25:05 AM4/26/05
rkello...@yahoo.com writes:

> I've applied the realrcptto patch to my qmail and it works fine.

Yes, I use it myself.

> On the manual it says "If QMAILRRTDENYALL=1 is set in the environment
> for qmail-smptd and qmail-qmtpd, then each individual recipient address
> will be accepted, but the whole message will be rejected, to stop
> attackers from probing for valid addresses."

Yep, I use that feature, too.

> I'm quite new to qmail, can someone please tell me the specific steps
> to set QMAILRRTDENYALL? Details would be appreciated, like which file
> and what to modify/add.

The details depend upon how you installed qmail--particularly how your
SMTP service is run. In a "Life with qmail" installation, you can set
QMAILRRTDENYALL on a host-by-host basis in /etc/tcp.smtp. E.g.:

:allow,QMAILRRTDENYALL="1"

Followed by:

qmailctl cdb

to rebuild /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb.

--
Dave Sill Oak Ridge National Lab, Workstation Support
Author, The qmail Handbook <http://web.infoave.net/~dsill>

rkello...@yahoo.com

Apr 26, 2005, 11:30:52 AM4/26/05
Thanks, that was helpful.

Ron K
P.S. By the way, for someone just starting out with qmail, every word
in your "Life with qmail" is pure gold ;-)

Stephan Winter

Apr 26, 2005, 6:45:07 PM4/26/05
Hello!

>>On the manual it says "If QMAILRRTDENYALL=1 is set in the environment
>>for qmail-smptd and qmail-qmtpd, then each individual recipient address
>>will be accepted, but the whole message will be rejected, to stop
>>attackers from probing for valid addresses."
>

> Yep, I use that feature, too.

But how does the sending mailserver know that his mail received its
recipient?

Stephan