Java to C/C++ advice, tools, please

J. Todd Slack

Oct 15, 2002, 2:25:09 PM10/15/02
Hi All,

I am attempting to move to C/C++ from a Java background. I did a little C++
DOS development in college. I am trying to gain more marketable skills in
this tough economy. I have done a little in C#.

So, What about tools?

I have VS.Net Professional and Metrowerks 8. advice on which tool is best?
Pros/Cons? What about GCC. Is that an acceptable solution in todays
development habits? I haven't ever used it but it seems popular. What tools
do you all like?

Also, I have a few reference materials already. Petzold Win32 API, C++ in
Action, Code complete, Writing Solid Code, Knuth, etc.

Which on is best geared to get started with, up to speed quickly, etc.

I am running XP Professional on an HP notebook with 1 gig of RAM.

I really appreciate your thoughts in getting started.

Thanks,

-Jason

Richard Heathfield

Oct 15, 2002, 2:54:22 PM10/15/02
"J. Todd Slack" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am attempting to move to C/C++ from a Java background.

First decide which you are trying to move to: C, C++, or both. They are
different languages, and skill in C does not imply skill in C++, nor
does skill in C++ imply skill in C.

> I did a little C++
> DOS development in college. I am trying to gain more marketable skills in
> this tough economy. I have done a little in C#.
>
> So, What about tools?

# text editor
# compiler
# linker
# debugger
# profiler

Last two are optional, really.

> I have VS.Net Professional and Metrowerks 8. advice on which tool is best?

Whatever. C is C. C++ is C++. It doesn't matter, from a "learning the
language" point of view, which one you use. In fact, it would be better
to get a bunch of compilers and make sure your programs work on all of
them.

> Pros/Cons? What about GCC. Is that an acceptable solution in todays
> development habits?

I've used gcc on a number of sites, so obviously it's acceptable to some
people. I use it quite a lot at home, so obviously it's acceptable to me
too. But I thought you wanted to learn the language, so any conforming
compiler will do the job.

> I haven't ever used it but it seems popular. What tools
> do you all like?

I like tools that work. That includes gcc, gdb, vim, gprof, Notepad
(yes, it works if you don't work it too hard), bcc32, cl... all the
usual stuff.

> Also, I have a few reference materials already. Petzold Win32 API, C++ in
> Action, Code complete, Writing Solid Code, Knuth, etc.

If you want to learn C, get "The C Programming Language", 2nd edition,
by Brian W Kernighan and Dennis M Ritchie. If you want to learn C++, I
personally would recommend "C++: How to Program" by Deitel and Deitel,
but the authoritative work is "The C++ Programming Language", 3rd
edition or later, Bjarne Stroustrup.

> Which on is best geared to get started with, up to speed quickly, etc.

If you want to get up to speed quickly, have a look at Visual Basic or
Klik-n-Play.

> I am running XP Professional on an HP notebook with 1 gig of RAM.

That's nice. I am running five different operating systems on five
different machines, including a Sun SparcStation and a Digital, and I
write C programs that run quite cheerfully, without modification, on all
of them. That's the nice thing about portability - it doesn't matter
tuppence what you're running.

--
Richard Heathfield : bin...@eton.powernet.co.uk

J. Todd Slack

Oct 15, 2002, 3:34:07 PM10/15/02
Hi Richard,

> First decide which you are trying to move to: C, C++, or both. They are
> different languages, and skill in C does not imply skill in C++, nor
> does skill in C++ imply skill in C.

I am unsure as of yet and this is really the starting point. My goal is
marketability. I don't know which language is best for that. Do you have
thoughts?

> > I have VS.Net Professional and Metrowerks 8. advice on which tool is
best?

> Whatever. C is C. C++ is C++. It doesn't matter, from a "learning the
> language" point of view, which one you use. In fact, it would be better
> to get a bunch of compilers and make sure your programs work on all of
> them.

Good point

> but the authoritative work is "The C++ Programming Language", 3rd
> edition or later, Bjarne Stroustrup.

I'll check it out.

> > Which on is best geared to get started with, up to speed quickly, etc.
>
> If you want to get up to speed quickly, have a look at Visual Basic or
> Klik-n-Play.

Ah, I should have clarified. I don't wish to take shortcuts. I know that it
is going to take practice, learning, practice, learning, practice,
learning....

I didn't mean to imply anything else. My thought was just if there was one
book that covered a majority of the bases versus working between multiple
books, etc.

-Jason

Richard Heathfield

Oct 15, 2002, 4:23:03 PM10/15/02
"J. Todd Slack" wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> > First decide which you are trying to move to: C, C++, or both. They are
> > different languages, and skill in C does not imply skill in C++, nor
> > does skill in C++ imply skill in C.
>
> I am unsure as of yet and this is really the starting point. My goal is
> marketability. I don't know which language is best for that. Do you have
> thoughts?

Depends what kind of work you like doing. In the embedded world, C (of
the two, C and C++) is king at the moment. In the applications
programming world, C++ seems to have the edge. (This is based on my
experience of the UK job market, by the way, so Your Mileage May Vary.)

<snip>

> > but the authoritative work is "The C++ Programming Language", 3rd
> > edition or later, Bjarne Stroustrup.
>
> I'll check it out.

Tough read, but worth it.

> > > Which on is best geared to get started with, up to speed quickly, etc.
> >
> > If you want to get up to speed quickly, have a look at Visual Basic or
> > Klik-n-Play.
>
> Ah, I should have clarified. I don't wish to take shortcuts. I know that it
> is going to take practice, learning, practice, learning, practice,
> learning....
>
> I didn't mean to imply anything else. My thought was just if there was one
> book that covered a majority of the bases versus working between multiple
> books, etc.

Stroustrup is *the* book for C++. K&R2 (which I mentioned earlier) is
*the* book for C. If you can get to the end of either book in one piece,
you're doing just fine.

For a list of other books on C that I happen to think are worth a look,
check out http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/clc/cbooks.html (disclaimer:
my own book on C is mentioned there, but I should add that it is *not* a
beginner's book, so it's not really what you're looking for at this
stage of your education).

For C++, apart from Stroustrup, Deitel & Deitel ("C++: How to Program")
is well worth a look, as is "Accelerated C++" by Koenig & Moo (but my -
possibly mistaken - understanding is that a grounding in C is required
for the latter).

Neal E. Coombes

Oct 15, 2002, 4:57:45 PM10/15/02
Richard Heathfield wrote:

> I like tools that work. That includes gcc, gdb, vim, gprof, Notepad
> (yes, it works if you don't work it too hard), bcc32, cl... all the
> usual stuff.

Just a plug for a fellow Canadian. Check out metapad:
http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/ I think you'd appreciate it :) It
was for the longest time my primary editor.

Neal

Bob R

Oct 16, 2002, 7:47:12 PM10/16/02

J. Todd Slack wrote in message ...

>Hi All,
>I am attempting to move to C/C++ from a Java background. I did a
little C++
>DOS development in college. I am trying to gain more marketable
skills in
>this tough economy. I have done a little in C#.
>
>So, What about tools?

Check out those listed below my sig, FREEbies.
I found Bruce Eckel's book, 'Thinking in C++', a great aid. It covers
a little C on it's way to C++, lots of example code.
Last known addr;
[FREE DL or buy the hard copy(vol.1)]

Lots of good info in the FAQ (last link below my sig).

I use the Codemax editor built into the 'POVray for windows v3.1g'[1],
and have VIDE and Dev-C++ on the 'tools' menu. [edit (or render a
graphic scene) while you compile! <G>]. Fast development, it's a great
combination tool.
(Assuming the XP you mention is the windows NT OS.)
--
Bob R
POVrookie