SSD freezes from time to time

Yousuf Khan

Apr 3, 2012, 12:48:15 AM4/3/12
Okay, so I've installed my SSD as my boot disk. It's working
fantastically for the most part, but every now and again, I see the
C-drive just become 100% busy, and which in turns prevents other things
from functioning on the computer. The 100% busy periods don't last for
more than 10 seconds, and then it drops off immediately to 0% again.

I've tuned the SSD as well as possible according to the optimization
guides. I've turned off the disk indexing, I've moved the swapfile to
another disk, disk defragging is disabled for that drive, and I've
turned off prefetching, and system restore points. The only things I
haven't moved off of it are some of the high disk activity programs like
Thunderbird or Firefox, and that's because I'd actually like to have
those apps speeded up by the SSD, so I don't want to move them.

I have Resource Monitor loaded and I see that the Disk Activity goes
upto 100%, but the actual disk queue remains around 0.0, so it doesn't
seem like any particular application is actually creating the disk
activity, so I assume it must be the OS itself doing something.

Any ideas what else might need to be turned off?

Yousuf Khan

Rob

Apr 3, 2012, 7:46:52 AM4/3/12
Check that your SSD doesn't need a firmware update.
Otherwise, this is going to be difficult to track down and you
might want to look at Process Explorer (now owned by ms) or
similar tools.
HTH
--
Rob

Yousuf Khan

Apr 3, 2012, 8:12:22 AM4/3/12
On 03/04/2012 7:46 AM, Rob wrote:
> Check that your SSD doesn't need a firmware update.
> Otherwise, this is going to be difficult to track down and you
> might want to look at Process Explorer (now owned by ms) or
> similar tools.
> HTH

Yeah, I checked that at the beginning before installing the os, it was
already at the newest rev.

Yousuf Khan

Allen Drake

Apr 3, 2012, 3:53:25 PM4/3/12
I'd simply return it. Out of the 10 I purchased one was returned to
Amazon and a new one arrived in a few days no charge. They even paid
for the shipping to RTM the original. Have you consulted the SSD maker
Forum?

Yousuf Khan

Apr 3, 2012, 6:47:39 PM4/3/12
On 03/04/2012 3:53 PM, Allen Drake wrote:
> I'd simply return it. Out of the 10 I purchased one was returned to
> Amazon and a new one arrived in a few days no charge. They even paid
> for the shipping to RTM the original. Have you consulted the SSD maker
> Forum?

No, that's an idea though.

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan

Apr 5, 2012, 11:35:33 PM4/5/12
On 03/04/2012 3:53 PM, Allen Drake wrote:
> I'd simply return it. Out of the 10 I purchased one was returned to
> Amazon and a new one arrived in a few days no charge. They even paid
> for the shipping to RTM the original. Have you consulted the SSD maker
> Forum?

Well, I did go to the forums, and then eventually I did exchange it. The
Corsair forums are full of threads about this freezing problem, lots of
theories about how to fix it (upgrade the firmware, turn off services,
etc.). First of all, exchanging the drive didn't help at all. The second
drive had exactly the same problem.

Eventually, I discovered that the problem lay with the AHCI vs. IDE
drivers. Specifically, the AHCI drivers were the problem. I switched
back over to IDE mode in the BIOS, and the problems went away. One
reason I had it on the AHCI drivers was because I thought TRIM was only
supported through AHCI, but it turned out that TRIM works in IDE too. So
there's no reason to stick with AHCI at this point.

Yousuf Khan

Paul

Apr 6, 2012, 12:35:12 AM4/6/12
There is a claim here, that you can use ProcMon to verify TRIM is
being sent. There is also an fsutil variable, indicating whether
it's enabled or not. I'd really be surprised if IDE supported it,
as the IDE drivers include crusty old drivers from 2002 or so that
don't know a thing about TRIM. I'd want some evidence it is really
being sent. They suggest emptying the trash bin as a potential trigger event.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?66696-New-FW-Flashing

Paul

YKhan

Apr 6, 2012, 3:27:39 AM4/6/12
On Apr 6, 12:35 am, Paul <nos...@needed.com> wrote:
> Yousuf Khan wrote:
> > Eventually, I discovered that the problem lay with the AHCI vs. IDE
> > drivers. Specifically, the AHCI drivers were the problem. I switched
> > back over to IDE mode in the BIOS, and the problems went away. One
> > reason I had it on the AHCI drivers was because I thought TRIM was only
> > supported through AHCI, but it turned out that TRIM works in IDE too. So
> > there's no reason to stick with AHCI at this point.
>
> There is a claim here, that you can use ProcMon to verify TRIM is
> being sent. There is also an fsutil variable, indicating whether
> it's enabled or not. I'd really be surprised if IDE supported it,
> as the IDE drivers include crusty old drivers from 2002 or so that
> don't know a thing about TRIM. I'd want some evidence it is really
> being sent. They suggest emptying the trash bin as a potential trigger event.

The IDE drivers in XP might be the crusty old ones from 2002, but
Windows 7 didn't even come out till 2009, so it has much newer IDE
drivers. TRIM support didn't even appear until Win 7, so I'd be
inclined to agree that the 2002 XP drivers wouldn't know anything
about TRIM, but this is a new set of drivers, which are aware of SSD's
and TRIM.

Anyways, I'm not using Procmon, I'm using a utility called Hard Disk
Sentinel, which can monitor this sort of thing, and it confirms that
TRIM support is enabled. And I'm also using the fsutil command-line
utility that also confirms it. You can see how to use the "fsutil"
commands here: http://is.gd/rfYxxO.

> http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?66696-New-FW-F...

I don't really see what you're referring to in this website.

Yousuf Khan

Paul

Apr 6, 2012, 3:46:41 AM4/6/12
YKhan wrote:

>> http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?66696-New-FW-F...
>
> I don't really see what you're referring to in this website.
>
> Yousuf Khan

"Part 3 – In Depth Monitoring of SSD Metrics

TRIM

Tracking ATA TRIM in Win 7 using Procmon:"

The idea is to see if a TRIM command of some sort,
is actually being sent when you empty the trash.

The advice in the past has always been, that TRIM
support existed in AHCI (like the MSAHCI driver)
but that it didn't exist in the IDE driver. That's
why I'm skeptical, that your discovery goes against
past advice. It would be reassuring to see something
like actual trace data from ProcMon, as a double check.

HTH,
Paul

YKhan

Apr 6, 2012, 9:19:41 AM4/6/12
It's too much work to try and make sense of all of that data coming
out of Procmon. The fact of the matter is that the fsutil command
provided by Microsoft lets you change it on both the AHCI driver and
the IDE driver. If the flag wasn't supported on the IDE driver, then
it wouldn't allow you to change it, it would always send back
"disabled" when you query it.

And it's confirmed to be enabled and in use by a 3rd party util, Hard
Disk Sentinel. I've been using HDS for years to monitor the SMART
health of my hard drives, and when I first installed the SSD, it
immediately figured out that it was an SSD because it had special
SMART parameters that aren't available in HHD's.

http://www.hdsentinel.com/

Paul

Apr 6, 2012, 2:40:38 PM4/6/12
OK, I can see a mention of the IDE driver having TRIM here.
For Windows 7, and the built-in (MS) IDE driver.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2829/15

(found the ref on this page, to that Anandtech link)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1475177

Paul

Loren Pechtel

Apr 7, 2012, 12:04:07 AM4/7/12
Argh! It's sounding more and more like my longstanding mystery is the
same problem. I need the AHCI for RAID on the spinning storage,
though!

Paul

Apr 7, 2012, 2:05:43 AM4/7/12
Could you use a separate controller ?

*******

The problem with shopping for a separate controller, is finding a chip that
doesn't have issues. There is an example here, of one based on a Marvell 9128.
I could also find some cards with Asmedia chips on them, but I don't know right
off hand, whether they have all the drivers needed to do everything you need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158207

http://ca.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/HDD-Controllers/SATA-Cards/2-Port-SATA-6-Gbps-PCI-Express-SATA-Controller-Card~PEXSAT32

Some of the cards, will have AHCI drivers as the default choice. And then
you need to verify in advance, you can get the driver flavor you need.

That particular card has a PCI Express x1 Rev.2 interface, so cannot transfer
data faster than 500MB/sec (minus whatever overhead is typical for such things).
It has the same kind of problem a SIL3132 would have, in terms of the match
between what is on the SATA side, versus what is on the PCI Express side.

The issue would be, if the thing supported something like RAID 0, and you
tried to pass 2 x SATA III rates through a 500MB/sec bottleneck. For
single standalone drives connected to the SATA ports, it's not going
to be nearly as much of a practical issue. (The PCI Express bus has
separate TX and RX bus, and copying from drive to drive for example,
uses separate buses at the instant the transfer happens. It's just RAID 0
configurations you have to watch, because it all goes through the RX or
all goes through the TX path.)

Some of those peripheral chips, have had a checkered history, in terms of
the grief they caused with early drivers. Which is why shopping for one
of those little cards, is not a trivial exercise.

In the past, the problem with early SATA cards, was the need to flash the
firmware, to change how the card behaves. It's possible there is still
a need to change the BIOS add-on module stored in the flash chip onboard,
to get the driver you want to work with them. What is stored in the flash
chip, is an Extended INT 0x13 routine, to enable the motherboard BIOS
to read boot info during POST and boot. But in some cases, the chip
configuration may be programmed with that code too (like, a bit that
says it is a RAID chip or is an IDE chip etc).

Paul

Yousuf Khan

Apr 7, 2012, 10:42:04 AM4/7/12
On 07/04/2012 12:04 AM, Loren Pechtel wrote:
> Argh! It's sounding more and more like my longstanding mystery is the
> same problem. I need the AHCI for RAID on the spinning storage,
> though!

Let me guess, you're using the Intel drivers, right?

Yousuf Khan

Loren Pechtel

Apr 7, 2012, 5:58:19 PM4/7/12
Yup. There isn't another option, is there?

I tried flashing the drive, the ver2 to ver6 flash worked but the ver6
to ver7 is saying there's nothing for it to do.

YKhan

Apr 8, 2012, 3:00:37 PM4/8/12
Well, actually there is, why not use Microsoft's software RAID instead
of the Intel one? That way you can go back to standard Microsoft
drivers. The Microsoft drivers are standardized and they can even work
within Linux if you like. The Intel ones, are hit and miss.

Yousuf Khan

Loren Pechtel

Apr 8, 2012, 3:40:06 PM4/8/12
On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 12:00:37 -0700 (PDT), YKhan <yjk...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Well, actually there is, why not use Microsoft's software RAID instead
>of the Intel one? That way you can go back to standard Microsoft
>drivers. The Microsoft drivers are standardized and they can even work
>within Linux if you like. The Intel ones, are hit and miss.
>
> Yousuf Khan

What driver are you talking about? How do I get RAID 1 out of some
spinning drives on the Intel controller that's on my motherboard?

Yousuf Khan

Apr 9, 2012, 2:34:35 PM4/9/12
Sorry, I shouldn't have said driver when talking about the RAID
functionality. Microsoft's Disk Management has everything from simple
concatenation to RAID5 available, if you're using Windows 7 Ultimate or
Professional.

Also you should know that Intel's RAID is not something comes from its
controller, it is really a software RAID too. Microsoft's software RAID
is more compatible with more things.

Yousuf Khan

Loren Pechtel

Apr 10, 2012, 2:36:00 PM4/10/12
Any way to migrate?

Yousuf Khan

Apr 10, 2012, 3:46:02 PM4/10/12
On 10/04/2012 2:36 PM, Loren Pechtel wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 14:34:35 -0400, Yousuf Khan
>> Sorry, I shouldn't have said driver when talking about the RAID
>> functionality. Microsoft's Disk Management has everything from simple
>> concatenation to RAID5 available, if you're using Windows 7 Ultimate or
>> Professional.
>>
>> Also you should know that Intel's RAID is not something comes from its
>> controller, it is really a software RAID too. Microsoft's software RAID
>> is more compatible with more things.
>
> Any way to migrate?

Not without backing up and restoring, that I can think of.

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan

Apr 12, 2012, 1:49:29 AM4/12/12
On 06/04/2012 2:40 PM, Paul wrote:
> OK, I can see a mention of the IDE driver having TRIM here.
> For Windows 7, and the built-in (MS) IDE driver.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/show/2829/15
>
> (found the ref on this page, to that Anandtech link)
>
> http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1475177
>
> Paul

Hold the presses! The actual reason for the problem has been pinpointed
inside the AHCI drivers now. The problem lay in an obscure power
management feature in the AHCI drivers that don't exist in the IDE
drivers, called the HIPM/DIPM attributes. HIPM means Host-Initiated
Power Management, while DIPM is Device-Initiated ... etc. Since the IDE
driver doesn't touch these features, it doesn't have any problem with
them. To avoid the problem you need to disable these completely on the
AHCI drivers.

You need to set a key in the Registry to allow this feature to be
accessed by the Power Management advanced options. You need to go to the
following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60

And set the "Attributes" field to a DWORD of 0x2.

You can then follow this article on what to do to disable it:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177819-ahci-link-power-management-enable-hipm-dipm.html

I followed the article, and switched back to the AHCI drivers, and no
longer had any freeze-up problems.

Yousuf Khan

Paul

Apr 12, 2012, 2:14:21 AM4/12/12
That reminds me of "LPM", which was an issue at one time.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?88340-Vertex-3-Windows-install-in-AHCI-mode-on-Intel-6-series-Chipset-platforms

I suppose the thinking goes, "where would the fun be if
you didn't have to tweak something". :-(

You'd think the SSD manufacturers, could come up with an "SSD ready"
software, to pre-check these things for you. Instead of this week long
"search the web for hints" thing the customers have to do now. That
way, they could encapsulate all they've learned about their product
versus Windows or Linux.

Paul

Yousuf Khan

Apr 12, 2012, 10:48:08 AM4/12/12
On 12/04/2012 2:14 AM, Paul wrote:
> That reminds me of "LPM", which was an issue at one time.
>
> http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?88340-Vertex-3-Windows-install-in-AHCI-mode-on-Intel-6-series-Chipset-platforms
>
> I suppose the thinking goes, "where would the fun be if
> you didn't have to tweak something". :-(
>
> You'd think the SSD manufacturers, could come up with an "SSD ready"
> software, to pre-check these things for you. Instead of this week long
> "search the web for hints" thing the customers have to do now. That
> way, they could encapsulate all they've learned about their product
> versus Windows or Linux.

This does sound like a very similar issue. I noticed in the LPM issue
one of the registry entries was for DIPM.

I suppose I could test to see which setting in particular caused the
issue, the HIPM or the DIPM, but having them both disabled fixed it, and
I don't think I'm that concerned about energy savings on a desktop, like
I would be on a laptop.

Yousuf Khan

YKhan

Apr 12, 2012, 3:47:42 PM4/12/12
On Apr 12, 2:14 am, Paul <nos...@needed.com> wrote:
> You'd think the SSD manufacturers, could come up with an "SSD ready"
> software, to pre-check these things for you. Instead of this week long
> "search the web for hints" thing the customers have to do now. That
> way, they could encapsulate all they've learned about their product
> versus Windows or Linux.

Also, I don't think the power issue is necessarily a problem with the
SSD, it could be an issue with the motherboard chipset, or even
cabling between drive and motherboard for all we know. So it's not an
issue that affects all installations, just a large number of them.

Yousuf Khan

Rick

Apr 14, 2012, 10:57:15 AM4/14/12

Intel just released an update for their 320 SSD if that is the one you
have you might check it out

Yousuf Khan

Apr 14, 2012, 2:19:32 PM4/14/12
On 14/04/2012 10:57 AM, Rick wrote:
> Intel just released an update for their 320 SSD if that is the one you have you might check it out

Nope, that's not my drive, but the problem has been solved. It turns out
that it was an obscure power management setting in the AHCI drivers
called HIPM-DIPM. Once those settings were turned off, the freeze-ups
went away.

Yousuf Khan

Loren Pechtel

May 3, 2012, 11:07:55 PM5/3/12
On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 01:49:29 -0400, Yousuf Khan
<bbb...@spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:

>You need to set a key in the Registry to allow this feature to be
>accessed by the Power Management advanced options. You need to go to the
>following registry key:
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60
>
>And set the "Attributes" field to a DWORD of 0x2.
>
>You can then follow this article on what to do to disable it:
>
>http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177819-ahci-link-power-management-enable-hipm-dipm.html
>
>I followed the article, and switched back to the AHCI drivers, and no
>longer had any freeze-up problems.
>
> Yousuf Khan

I wish that was the answer for me.

The 0b2d... section of the key doesn't exist on my box.

The link shows an option that's not on my system, either.

Yousuf Khan

May 4, 2012, 4:10:33 AM5/4/12
If it doesn't exist, then create it. In my case, though that
"0b2d...1c60" key did exist, the "Attributes" field underneath it didn't
exist. So I created that one. Now, everything is fine. You'll simply
have to create the key and then the field too.

It seems that not all registry entries are created by default on all
machines, and are only created on an as needed basis, otherwise default
values are taken.

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan

May 4, 2012, 4:15:12 AM5/4/12
On 04/05/2012 4:10 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> I wish that was the answer for me.
>>
>> The 0b2d... section of the key doesn't exist on my box.
>>
>> The link shows an option that's not on my system, either.
>
> If it doesn't exist, then create it. In my case, though that
> "0b2d...1c60" key did exist, the "Attributes" field underneath it didn't
> exist. So I created that one. Now, everything is fine. You'll simply
> have to create the key and then the field too.
>
> It seems that not all registry entries are created by default on all
> machines, and are only created on an as needed basis, otherwise default
> values are taken.
>
> Yousuf Khan

BTW, this is what my registry looks like in that section (you can copy
and paste):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60]
"FriendlyName"=hex(2):41,00,48,00,43,00,49,00,20,00,4c,00,69,00,6e,00,6b,00,20,\

00,50,00,6f,00,77,00,65,00,72,00,20,00,4d,00,61,00,6e,00,61,00,67,00,65,00,\

6d,00,65,00,6e,00,74,00,20,00,2d,00,20,00,48,00,49,00,50,00,4d,00,2f,00,44,\
00,49,00,50,00,4d,00,00,00
"Description"=hex(2):43,00,6f,00,6e,00,66,00,69,00,67,00,75,00,72,00,65,00,73,\

00,20,00,74,00,68,00,65,00,20,00,4c,00,50,00,4d,00,20,00,73,00,74,00,61,00,\
74,00,65,00,2e,00,00,00
"IconResource"=hex(2):00,00
"Attributes"=dword:00000000

Paul

May 4, 2012, 10:30:50 AM5/4/12
An alternating sequence of 00 and non 00 hex value, is a Unicode text string.
A person seeing the above, might conclude it was "complicated and scary", when
in fact that could be a device name, a file path name, and so on.

For fun, let's translate this much. There are ten non-zero items, and
those correspond to ten ASCII letters/numbers.

41,00,48,00,43,00,49,00,20,00,4c,00,69,00,6e,00,6b,00,20 = "AHCI Link "

You can get an ASCII table from a UNIX man page, to finish the translation
process, and understand what is stored there. Unicode encoding is a nuisance,
but it's here to stay. The 41 is 0x41 hex, so you use the hex column when
translating to ASCII.

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?ascii+7

Paul

Loren Pechtel

May 4, 2012, 11:55:29 AM5/4/12
Remember, though, the people in here have mostly built their own
rigs--such stuff won't be so scary.

Not to mention that I have written code professionally for more than
20 years. It's not one bit scary.

Loren Pechtel

May 4, 2012, 11:55:29 AM5/4/12
On Fri, 04 May 2012 04:10:33 -0400, Yousuf Khan
<bbb...@spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 03/05/2012 11:07 PM, Loren Pechtel wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 01:49:29 -0400, Yousuf Khan
>> <bbb...@spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You need to set a key in the Registry to allow this feature to be
>>> accessed by the Power Management advanced options. You need to go to the
>>> following registry key:
>>>
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60
>>>
>>> And set the "Attributes" field to a DWORD of 0x2.
>>>
>>> You can then follow this article on what to do to disable it:
>>>
>>> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177819-ahci-link-power-management-enable-hipm-dipm.html
>>>
>>> I followed the article, and switched back to the AHCI drivers, and no
>>> longer had any freeze-up problems.
>>>
>>> Yousuf Khan
>>
>> I wish that was the answer for me.
>>
>> The 0b2d... section of the key doesn't exist on my box.
>>
>> The link shows an option that's not on my system, either.
>
>If it doesn't exist, then create it. In my case, though that
>"0b2d...1c60" key did exist, the "Attributes" field underneath it didn't
>exist. So I created that one. Now, everything is fine. You'll simply
>have to create the key and then the field too.

Created, I'll see what happens. I *HATE* these blue-screens!

>It seems that not all registry entries are created by default on all
>machines, and are only created on an as needed basis, otherwise default
>values are taken.

The thing is the AHCI settings in the URL don't show up on my machine
either.

Paul

May 4, 2012, 12:24:04 PM5/4/12
Any chance the GUIDs are specific to brands of chipsets ?
Are you and Yousef using the same chipset ?

Can you search in Regedit, for a Unicode string, like "ACPI Link" etc ?
That's what I don't like about Unicode, is there aren't necessarily good ways
of doing searches. In one case, I had to write my own program, to do
such a search, when debugging a problem.

Paul

Yousuf Khan

May 4, 2012, 3:25:13 PM5/4/12
On 04/05/2012 10:30 AM, Paul wrote:
> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> BTW, this is what my registry looks like in that section (you can copy
>> and paste):
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60]
>>
>> "FriendlyName"=hex(2):41,00,48,00,43,00,49,00,20,00,4c,00,69,00,6e,00,6b,00,20,\
>>

>> 00,50,00,6f,00,77,00,65,00,72,00,20,00,4d,00,61,00,6e,00,61,00,67,00,65,00,\
>>

>> 6d,00,65,00,6e,00,74,00,20,00,2d,00,20,00,48,00,49,00,50,00,4d,00,2f,00,44,\
>>
>> 00,49,00,50,00,4d,00,00,00
>> "Description"=hex(2):43,00,6f,00,6e,00,66,00,69,00,67,00,75,00,72,00,65,00,73,\
>>

>> 00,20,00,74,00,68,00,65,00,20,00,4c,00,50,00,4d,00,20,00,73,00,74,00,61,00,\
>>
>> 74,00,65,00,2e,00,00,00
>> "IconResource"=hex(2):00,00
>> "Attributes"=dword:00000000
>
> An alternating sequence of 00 and non 00 hex value, is a Unicode text string.
> A person seeing the above, might conclude it was "complicated and scary", when
> in fact that could be a device name, a file path name, and so on.
>
> For fun, let's translate this much. There are ten non-zero items, and
> those correspond to ten ASCII letters/numbers.
>
> 41,00,48,00,43,00,49,00,20,00,4c,00,69,00,6e,00,6b,00,20 = "AHCI Link "

Yeah, I know I noticed that too, but that's how it got saved when I
exported it from the regedit as a *.reg file. But when I was viewing it
in the regedit itself it was simply text.

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan

May 4, 2012, 3:36:25 PM5/4/12
On 04/05/2012 12:24 PM, Paul wrote:
> Loren Pechtel wrote:
>> The thing is the AHCI settings in the URL don't show up on my machine
>> either.
>
> Any chance the GUIDs are specific to brands of chipsets ?
> Are you and Yousef using the same chipset ?
>
> Can you search in Regedit, for a Unicode string, like "ACPI Link" etc ?
> That's what I don't like about Unicode, is there aren't necessarily good ways
> of doing searches. In one case, I had to write my own program, to do
> such a search, when debugging a problem.
>
> Paul

I'm simply using the standard Microsoft AHCI and/or IDE drivers. When
using the IDE drivers, these power management fields don't show up,
because that sort of power management didn't exist in that generation of
the ATA specifications, i.e. version 7, so the registry entries for
power management are simply ignored. But when you go upto the newer
Microsoft AHCI drivers, which is ATA version 8, these specs include this
power management, so if the registry entries exist, and there is a value
set for them, then it'll take effect.

On the other hand, if he's using something other than the standard
Microsoft drivers, such as the Intel drivers, then these entries may or
may not have any effect. The original webpage I linked to mentioned that
these settings don't have any effect except with Intel ICH9M drivers and
later.

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan

May 4, 2012, 3:46:18 PM5/4/12
On 04/05/2012 11:55 AM, Loren Pechtel wrote:
> The thing is the AHCI settings in the URL don't show up on my machine
> either.

If you've taken my registry settings, then chances are that you won't
see the link power management options show up, because I've set the
"Attributes" field to a value of zero. This setting should disable the
link power management feature for all power schemes, by default. So you
*won't* see those settings in the power management settings.

However, if you do want to see those settings, then you'll have to set
the Attributes field to a value of 2, and then all of those settings
will show up, provided you're using the Microsoft AHCI drivers for your
disks. But then you'll have to edit and disable the power management in
each of your power schemes individually. That's because after you set
the Attributes field to 2, the link power management then becomes a
local setting for each power scheme, rather than a global setting for
all of them.

Yousuf Khan

Loren Pechtel

May 4, 2012, 8:28:37 PM5/4/12
Note that I said the settings in the *URL*--a link to an article with
some screenshots. Those settings don't show up here.

While I do agree it's likely chipset related I don't think it's just a
matter of different keys.

Loren Pechtel

May 4, 2012, 8:28:37 PM5/4/12
On Fri, 04 May 2012 15:36:25 -0400, Yousuf Khan
<bbb...@spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:

>On the other hand, if he's using something other than the standard
>Microsoft drivers, such as the Intel drivers, then these entries may or
>may not have any effect. The original webpage I linked to mentioned that
>these settings don't have any effect except with Intel ICH9M drivers and
>later.

I'm using the Intel driver--it's what came with the motherboard, I
didn't even know there was a useable Microsoft option.

Loren Pechtel

May 4, 2012, 8:28:37 PM5/4/12
They were missing before I made the registry changes.

Bob H

May 5, 2012, 10:55:10 AM5/5/12
I bought a Samsung 830 series 128GB SSD a couple of weeks ago and it
was a doddle to install and setup.

After I connected it to the main board, I switched on my pc, went into
the BIOS to set the boot order, then restarted with the windows 7 dvd in
the dvd rom drive.

After a brand new installation of windows 7, with AHCI already set and
used previously, windows now boots up to the desktop in under 30 seconds.

I had hardly anything to set and change apart from disabling a couple of
things which samsung ssd magician software recommended.

After that it was just a matter of following a couple of other
recommedations I found on the net, and all is honky dory now.

Yousuf Khan

May 5, 2012, 1:00:03 PM5/5/12
Try switching over to the Microsoft drivers, if you're not using Intel
RAID or anything like that.

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan

May 5, 2012, 1:02:44 PM5/5/12
On 04/05/2012 8:28 PM, Loren Pechtel wrote:
> They were missing before I made the registry changes.

That doesn't matter.

Yousuf Khan

Loren Pechtel

May 5, 2012, 1:28:47 PM5/5/12
On Sat, 05 May 2012 13:00:03 -0400, Yousuf Khan
<bbb...@spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 04/05/2012 8:28 PM, Loren Pechtel wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 May 2012 15:36:25 -0400, Yousuf Khan
>> <bbb...@spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On the other hand, if he's using something other than the standard
>>> Microsoft drivers, such as the Intel drivers, then these entries may or
>>> may not have any effect. The original webpage I linked to mentioned that
>>> these settings don't have any effect except with Intel ICH9M drivers and
>>> later.
>>
>> I'm using the Intel driver--it's what came with the motherboard, I
>> didn't even know there was a useable Microsoft option.
>
>Try switching over to the Microsoft drivers, if you're not using Intel
>RAID or anything like that.

I am using the RAID. Sys is a SSD, data is RAID 1.

Yousuf Khan

May 5, 2012, 7:12:00 PM5/5/12
On 05/05/2012 1:28 PM, Loren Pechtel wrote:
>> Try switching over to the Microsoft drivers, if you're not using Intel
>> RAID or anything like that.
>
> I am using the RAID. Sys is a SSD, data is RAID 1.

Then you have no choice, but to keep using it. You could of course,
break the mirror and mirror it instead through the Microsoft dynamic
disk system.

Yousuf Khan

Loren Pechtel

May 15, 2012, 7:36:21 PM5/15/12
Apparently it does. I found a blue screen this morning, it didn't
work.

Loren Pechtel

Jun 23, 2012, 12:07:51 AM6/23/12
I decided that's what I'm going to have to do. The disks are now
dynamic instead of using the Intel mirroring software. Any
suggestions on how to install the Microsoft drivers without having to
redo my box?

Yousuf Khan

Jun 23, 2012, 1:49:22 AM6/23/12
I think you can continue to use the Intel drivers, just don't have to
use them in RAID mode. The Microsoft dynamic disks feature works at a
level just above the device drivers, so you can use Microsoft dynamic
disks alongside Intel drivers. But as I said, you'll have to first break
the Intel mirroring first.

Yousuf Khan

Loren Pechtel

Jun 23, 2012, 1:36:30 PM6/23/12
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 11:49:22 +0600, Yousuf Khan
<bbb...@spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:

>I think you can continue to use the Intel drivers, just don't have to
>use them in RAID mode. The Microsoft dynamic disks feature works at a
>level just above the device drivers, so you can use Microsoft dynamic
>disks alongside Intel drivers. But as I said, you'll have to first break
>the Intel mirroring first.
>
> Yousuf Khan

The Intel mirroring is broken, it doesn't help with the blue screens.
Throwing that much data around really pushed it, I had multiple blue
screens copying it back.

YKhan

Jun 24, 2012, 6:41:48 PM6/24/12
If the chipset accepts the Microsoft drivers, then you can try
switching to them.

Loren Pechtel

Jun 25, 2012, 4:20:26 PM6/25/12
On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 15:41:48 -0700 (PDT), YKhan <yjk...@gmail.com>
wrote:
What driver is that, though?

Yousuf Khan

Jun 26, 2012, 2:38:04 PM6/26/12
The MS AHCI driver is called msahci.sys, while the MS IDE driver is
called pciide.sys. Both located in Windows system folders.

Yousuf Khan