Intel 440BX-2

Daniel Watson

Jan 1, 2002, 5:45:31 PM1/1/02
I'm currently bidding on an Intel 440BX-2 motherboard that I'm planning to
run with a c566 o'clocked to 850mHz on Ebay. My question is this: the
particular version of my board doesn't seem to officially support greater
than the PIII-600 (eg Katmai) although other revisions definitely do support
the coppermine. From doing some reading on the net I've deduced that most BX
boards to actually run coppermine processors fine regardless of what the
manufacturers say (although some will run them at 1.8v). I'll be running the
566 with an asus slotket that allows vcore and fsb adjustment. Has anyone
had experience with running the c566 at 850mHz on an Intel 440BX-2 revision
that doesn't officially support the coppermine?

Regards
Daniel

Stephen Williams

Jan 1, 2002, 6:46:13 PM1/1/02

Intel boards aren't the best to overclock on, some don't even allow you to
change the FSB! You will need a slocket that tell's the motherboard that
your CPU is 100MHz FSB, and it will also probably need to tell the
motherboard that your CPU is 1.8 volts.

I would seriously consider finding another board, such as an Asus P2B (and a
slocket that can be set to 1.8 volts), or better yet a Asus P3B-F, Abit BH6
or BX6 or something similar... those boards all have support for coppermine
CPUs and you can adjust the voltage going to the CPU.

Steve

Daniel Watson

Jan 1, 2002, 6:29:57 PM1/1/02
My slotket does allow for vcore and fsb adjustment, so the only real issue
is whether or not the board will accept the processor. Has anyone had any
experience with BX boards that fail to boot even with a slotket that allows
fsb and vcore adjustment with the c566?

Dan
"Stephen Williams" <ste...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Richard Hopkins

Jan 1, 2002, 6:50:03 PM1/1/02

"Daniel Watson" wrote in message...

> I'm currently bidding on an Intel 440BX-2 motherboard that I'm
> planning to run with a c566 o'clocked to 850mHz on Ebay.

I wouldn't bid much for this board. Even if you can get it to run the
Celeron II in the first place, Intel boards are the worst you can buy, as
far as overclocking facilities go.

> My question is this: the From doing some reading on the net I've

> deduced that most BX boards to actually run coppermine
> processors fine regardless of what the manufacturers say

Most will, but most boards aren't made by Intel...

> (although some will run them at 1.8v). I'll be running the 566 with an
> asus slotket that allows vcore and fsb adjustment.

The only FSB adjustment possible with that slotket is the selection of 66 or
100MHz. IOW, if your processor won't run at 100MHz, you're a bit screwed,
unless you can get SoftFSB to work. Even if it will do 100MHz, being limited
to adjusting the core voltage on the slotket is a pain in the arse when
compared with being able to do it in BIOS. You're making an awkward task of
what could be extremely simple and troublefree - if you used a board with
speed and voltage adjustability in BIOS.

> Has anyone had experience with running the c566 at 850mHz on an
> Intel 440BX-2 revision that doesn't officially support the coppermine?

Suggest you stop bidding on this board and start looking for one that
definitely will run this CPU, and also has a degree of BIOS adjustability
for FSB and core voltage. Starting off an overclocking project by buying one
of the worst overclocking boards around is slightly twisted logic- why are
you so keen to make things hard for yourself?
--

Richard Hopkins
replace nospam with com in reply address

"I don't get a fair whack. I don't pursue vendettas or punch people on the
nose." - John Prescott MP, 1994

Richard Hopkins

Jan 1, 2002, 7:40:22 PM1/1/02

"Daniel Watson" <da...@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message

> My slotket does allow for vcore and fsb adjustment,

It doesn't give you FSB *adjustment*, it gives you two FSB options - not
quite the same thing. It's not as though you can set the slotket to run at
95MHz FSB if 100 won't work...

> so the only real issue is whether or not the board will accept the
> processor.

Nope, there are other issues beyond that. Like whether the processor will
boot at 100MHz *at all* (by no means guaranteed). There are also related
matters - like whether the SE440BX has a system monitoring chip that'll
allow you to see how hot the processor is running.

As Stephen says, you're making trouble for yourself with this board. You
would be *much* better off looking for something else. There are plenty of
people upgrading old BX based systems - you should be able to track down
something *much* more suited to your task than the SE440BX-2.

Daniel Watson

Jan 1, 2002, 7:21:05 PM1/1/02
Thanks both for your advice, the processor I'll be using is already running
on my BH6 at 1.7v at 850mHz. I agree that an ASUS board or another ABIT one
would be preferable though. However the Intel one should go cheaply, and my
bid is already placed, so unless I'm outbid, I'm stuck with it! There is no
issue of the processor not being able to do 850 mHz, the only real issue is
whether the machine will boot and run stable. It's a system I'm building for
a friend, and he certainly isn't into tweaking. I'll let you know how is
goes anyway.
Dan
"Richard Hopkins" <ri...@dial.pipex.nospam> wrote in message

Richard Hopkins

Jan 1, 2002, 8:27:09 PM1/1/02

"Daniel Watson" <da...@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message...

> Thanks both for your advice, the processor I'll be using is already
> running on my BH6 at 1.7v at 850mHz. I agree that an ASUS
> board or another ABIT one would be preferable though.

Infinitely preferable.

> However the Intel one should go cheaply, and my bid is already
> placed, so unless I'm outbid, I'm stuck with it!

Oops.

> There is no issue of the processor not being able to do 850 mHz,

Too early to say that. Just because it does 850MHz on one motherboard,
there's no guarantee it'll go that far on another.

ambini2001

Jan 1, 2002, 10:01:00 PM1/1/02
"Daniel Watson" <da...@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message news:<JxrY7.6395$Li.3...@news02.tsnz.net>...

I have the p2b ver. 1.02 bios 1014b. ran my celeron 566 at 850 setting
the fsb to 100, set the sloket to 1.8 volts. be sure your celeron is
1.65-1.75 volts. my sloket was generic. am running my celeron
7...@1.051ghz. about 5 months now with no errors in windows or memory.
rock stable. i have a gigabyte 6bxc at ebay right now for sale and i
ran both the cpus (566@850, 7...@1.051ghzz sometimes at 1.083ghz) on
Asus P2b, Gigabyte GA 6bxc ver 1.7 and 1.9), Matsonic 7112c, matsonic
7192s and all are rock stable. hope this helps.

kony

Jan 1, 2002, 10:55:31 PM1/1/02
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:45:31 +1300, "Daniel Watson"
<da...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

I'm not certain, but I seem to remember reading that you'd
need one of the earlier BIOS updates that supports
Coppermines, NOT the latter versions, which halt the system
for no "good" reason. It appears that you need BIOS version
12 for the *best* results, and that version 13 thru 17 won't
work. Through intel's website links, you may only be
steered to the latter BIOS versions, so if you need to
download it direct from their server:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/se2/Se2bio12.exe

You might as well get some others while you're at it:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/se2/Se2bio11.exe
ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/se2/Se2bio13.exe

I think you'll need to set the slotket for a minimum of 1.8V
too. The mobo likely won't display the correct speed at
POST, but that's only cosmetic.

Dave
_____________________________
Please Reply to Newsgroup,
Google ate my email address.

Daniel Watson

Jan 1, 2002, 11:15:54 PM1/1/02
That's very useful information, thanks Dave.
So I guess you must have heard of some people getting these boards to work
with coppermines...
I have my old c300a lying about, so at least I'll be able to flash the bios.

Cheers
Daniel
"kony" <kingof...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

kony

Jan 2, 2002, 6:14:59 AM1/2/02
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 17:15:54 +1300, "Daniel Watson"
<da...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>That's very useful information, thanks Dave.
>So I guess you must have heard of some people getting these boards to work
>with coppermines...
>I have my old c300a lying about, so at least I'll be able to flash the bios.
>
>Cheers
>Daniel

I have heard of some "non-supported" SE440BX-2 mobos working
with coppermines, but I have no idea if there are any unique
problems with changing the voltage or FSB via slotket. Be
sure you have the right BIOS before you flash. If it's an
OEM version, you may have to do an "emergency-recovery"
flash method (consult manual), because the OEM vendor string
in the BIOS won't match Intel's.

Phil Weldon

Jan 3, 2002, 6:40:16 AM1/3/02
The actual identity of the Intel motherboard is SE440BX-2. Not all Intel
SE440BX-2 motherboards will support "coppermine" type CPU's. Only SE440BX-2
motherboards with a "AA" number
754552-200 or later
754558-200 or later
A01450-200 or later will support "coppermine" CPU's.

This compatibility information is from

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/se440bx2/procsupp.htm#
Note

In addition, there are only TWO FSB settings 66 MHz and 100 MHz. There is
no way to change this setting on the motherboard. This setting is
controlled by the CPU. If you have a Slot1 Celeron you could cut a trace on
the CPU module to force selection of the 100 MHz FSB speed. If you have a
Socket 370 CPU then you'll have to use a Slot1/Socket 370 adapter and set
the FSB with the adapter. AND you STILL can't be sure it will boot. You
may get a speed error hold, or your Celeron 566 may not be stable a 850 MHz.

You don't want this motherboard. Neither does the person selling it.
Neither does anyone else. If it was not properly identified by the correct
name in the auction, I'd withdraw my bid. If you get stuck with the winning
bid, and don't want to ruin your rep on the auction site, just send the
purchase price and tell the seller to keep the board. That way you will at
least save shipping.

When Intel says you can't run a particular processor with one of their
motherboards, believe. Their SE440BX (also based on the BX chipset) would
not even boot with ANY Celeron installed; Celeron 300, 300a, 333, etc.

I bought an Intel SE440BX in a moment of weakness to go with a Pentium II
266. When the Celeron 300a came out, at 450 MHz that was a big performance
boost. But not if you had an Intel SE440BX. I exchanged a half dozen
emails with Intel support, and two phone calls. Then I threw the
motherboard in the trash.

--
Phil Weldon, pwe...@mindspring.com

Always look for ACHO seal of approval:
ACHO Group Overclocking FAQ -
http://www.hyperformance-pc.com/overclocking_faq.htm

ambini2001

Jan 3, 2002, 8:52:24 AM1/3/02
"Daniel Watson" <da...@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message news:<pnwY7.6458$Li.3...@news02.tsnz.net>...

> That's very useful information, thanks Dave.
> So I guess you must have heard of some people getting these boards to work
> with coppermines...
> I have my old c300a lying about, so at least I'll be able to flash the bios.
>
> Cheers
> Daniel

also, 566 celerons are 1.5 or 1.7 volts. if yours is the 1.5, you cant
run it in slot 1 boards that have voltages at 1.8volts as the lowest.
here is intels spec sheet

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sspec/icp.htm

hope this helps.
BTW, the gigabyte board i am selling at ebay was bought immediately
yesterday so i guess you have to look for another one. Try the P2B or
P2B-XX by ASUS, they are great boards. bought mine for 23$ at yahoo
auctions.

Daniel Watson

Jan 3, 2002, 2:18:02 PM1/3/02
Sobering stuff, as I've said, no trouble with the processors stability at
850mHz, or with setting the slotket to 1.8V, I can always put my old C300a
(which already has the relevant pins taped) in and use my one of my other
boards which will support coppermines (but is a budget one without an AGP
slot) with the c566. Lets hope I get outbid (although not likely if anyone
reads these posts!)
Daniel

"Phil Weldon" <pwe...@mindspring.com> wrote in message