How to bypass C-Net's wrapper package

G. Morgan

Aug 23, 2011, 11:13:28 AM8/23/11
I made a video tutorial on how to bypass C-Net's new wrapper .exe.

http://screencast.com/t/CwTPXUIgUC

HTH

VanguardLH

Aug 23, 2011, 5:36:53 PM8/23/11
G. Morgan wrote:

Never even knew CNet was using their own installer wrapper. Haven't hit
that yet. Usually I go to Softpedia before I go to Cnet (download.com).
If an author has their download hosted at Cnet (you try downloading from
the author's site but the link redirects you to Cnet's download page),
it has, so far, been the author's program and nothing that Cnet wrapped.

http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27720.msg259277

Sometimes the biggest problem is knowing on what to click on at Cnet to
get the program you want instead of some advertized crap. They'll make
it appear you click on a button but that's a download for something else
they want to promote. I've seen users download anti-virus software when
they were trying to download a file search utility just because it looks
at first glance that the button you click is for the wanted download
when, in fact, it's for something else. They trick your eyes to lead
you to the wrong download button. And they're advertising clutters the
page making it more difficult to see where to navigate.

G. Morgan

Aug 24, 2011, 5:05:20 AM8/24/11
VanguardLH wrote:

>Never even knew CNet was using their own installer wrapper. Haven't hit
>that yet.

I just found it because in another group someone download a
"SuperCookie" remover from there, and got Google Chrome added without
asking. So I went looking for the reason.

Ron May

Aug 24, 2011, 8:05:51 AM8/24/11
On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 16:36:53 -0500, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:

> Sometimes the biggest problem is knowing on what to click on at Cnet to
> get the program you want instead of some advertized crap. They'll make
> it appear you click on a button but that's a download for something else
> they want to promote.

Although it can be time consuming and less convenient, like you, I also try
to ferret out the author/vendor page before downloading from CNET and other
sites that intentionally try to redirect you with a big green "DOWNLOAD"
button, when the actual link is just a small text phrase hidden off in a
corner somewhere saying "click here". I see that tactic more and more of
late. It's very annoying.

Benefits of going to the author site include the likelihood of seeing more
information about the product (limitations, features, screenshots,
comparison charts, etc.) and very often, other products by the author or
vendor that you wouldn't have seen if you downloaded from CNet, Major Geeks
and other large sites. I try to be respectful of the freeware author's
bandwidth if/when she/he asks you to use another site or mirror as a first
choice. That to me is a pretty fair request when the software is free.

--
Ron M.
Ubuntu/Vista Dual Boot

G. Morgan

Aug 24, 2011, 8:15:02 AM8/24/11
Ron May wrote:

>I try to be respectful of the freeware author's
>bandwidth if/when she/he asks you to use another site or mirror as a first
>choice. That to me is a pretty fair request when the software is free.

Yes, but the author's can't be too happy when someone decides to skip
the installation because of a 3rd party wrapper. I rarely d/l anything
from there, I was just investigating someone's question in another
group.

If the author's site has the file stored on their own server, I
definitely do that first.

Cindy Bowman

Aug 24, 2011, 8:29:42 AM8/24/11

G. do whatever he says for I love that man!
--
http://tr.im/1f9d

G. Morgan

Aug 24, 2011, 8:42:45 AM8/24/11
Cindy Bowman wrote:

>G. do whatever he says for I love that man!

There are other NG's for that!

P�oh the Cat

Aug 24, 2011, 9:00:19 AM8/24/11
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 07:42:45 -0500, G. Morgan <G_Mo...@easy.com>
wrote:

>Cindy Bowman wrote:
>
>>G. do whatever he says for I love that man!
>
>There are other NG's for that!

Ron is a consensus builder, willing to compromise, but those
who know him best would likely tell you he is a "rough to fair"
shag.

--
Pooh the cat - Representative on ACF of a vox populi now vacant

P�oh the Cat

Aug 24, 2011, 9:07:34 AM8/24/11
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 08:29:42 -0400, Cindy Bowman <"ISleptWithRon
MayREALTOR �"@yahoo.com> wrote:

>G. do whatever he says for I love that man!

>"When I was having my relationship with Ron. I was like on the seventh
>cloud especially from a sexual perspective," she raves, apparently
>confusing Cloud 9 with seventh heaven. "There is at least no doubt
>about the fact that Ron was awesome in bed...for a baldie with
>erectile dysfunction."

That said, I still can't totally shake the feeling that Ron's playing
you for an eventual sucker when the right time comes.

G. Morgan

Aug 24, 2011, 9:33:06 AM8/24/11
Póoh the Cat wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 07:42:45 -0500, G. Morgan <G_Mo...@easy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Cindy Bowman wrote:
>>
>>>G. do whatever he says for I love that man!
>>
>>There are other NG's for that!
>
>Ron is a consensus builder, willing to compromise, but those
>who know him best would likely tell you he is a "rough to fair"
>shag.

Way too much information!

Bullwinkle.

Aug 24, 2011, 9:39:59 AM8/24/11
As a gay fuck you should have said, Thanks!

"G. Morgan" <G_Mo...@easy.com> wrote in message

Richard Steinfeld

Aug 24, 2011, 12:58:22 PM8/24/11
Thank you G!
That's a good contribution.

Do you have any idea how CNet wants to use their wrapper? Is this
a drive-by "sleeper installer" that they're planting on our machines?

The mind drips, oozes, paranoia with gifts like these...

Richard

Póoh the Cat

Aug 24, 2011, 1:05:15 PM8/24/11

Any chance you could translate that into English?

G. Morgan

Aug 25, 2011, 10:28:37 AM8/25/11
Richard Steinfeld wrote:

>Do you have any idea how CNet wants to use their wrapper?

Yes. They get paid for every "slip-in" they manage to sucker the user
into installing. In this case, Google is apparently paying Cnet to
"slip-in" Google Chrome with some wrappers.

I have not done much research to see the full extent of this new
money-maker for them, because I won't allow it to fully install.

I'll try it in a sandbox when I get time to play.

Bullwinkle.

Aug 25, 2011, 12:57:15 PM8/25/11
So you have no clue.

Admit it..no shame.

"G. Morgan" <G_Mo...@easy.com> wrote in message

Cindy Bowman

Aug 27, 2011, 4:13:06 PM8/27/11

I'm a troll you stupid fuckwittard.

*LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL*

G. Morgan

Aug 27, 2011, 4:21:53 PM8/27/11
Cindy Bowman wrote:

No shit? Damn, you really had me there.

Cindy Bowman

Aug 27, 2011, 6:07:48 PM8/27/11
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 15:21:53 -0500, G. Morgan wrote:

> Cindy Bowman wrote:

>>> There are other NG's for that!
>>
>>I'm a troll you stupid fuckwittard.
>>
>>*LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL*