PowerDesk = Pricelessware?

Son Of Spy

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00

"пeв" wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I have been using PowerDesk since SOS posted the download link. IMO, it is as
> good or better than FMEDIT98 or WINNC. I think that it should be considered for
> listing on the pricelessware page. Besides being able to handle files in an
> explorer-like manner it handles zip and cab files just like they are folders
> (ala ZipMagic). Many thanks to SOS for the tip.
>
> пeв
>
> alt.comp.freeware's Pricelessware!
> http://www.sover.net/~whoi/Priceless.html
> http://home.att.net/~willowbrookemill/pricelessware.html
>
> A hen is an egg's way of making another egg.

Hi пeв,

I like the program too, knew it was a good deal for Win98-2K
whose folks sometimes have a hard time running the older
stuff...However there are some reasons why I feel it shouldn't
be pricelessware

1) (Least important) Needs more votes
2) FMEdit also sees zips as folders
3) It is adware
4) It is a crippled version of PowerDesk98. When I first spotted
this thot they were finally giving that away, toolbar is not worth
$20 why isn't it included?
5) Kinda false advertising...ZDNet calls it an exclusive DL yet
goto Ontrack's site and find out it's going to remain free. This
smacks of shady dealings to me...
6) I liked Mijenix when it was still Mijenix, not part of OnTrack
Bought PD 98 and Free Space still the smartest disk compression
technology around...I'm sorry they were overun...

Still I know a good proggie when I see it...

Regards,

Son Of Spy

--
Gal:1:10: For do I now persuade men, or God?
or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased

http://www.sover.net/~whoi/Index.html

. --- . . - - - - - - - - - - - -
/ \ __ / - - - - - -
/ / \ ( ) / - - - - -
/ / / / / / / \/ \ - - - -
/ / / / / / / : : - - -
/ / / / / ' ' - -
/ / / / .. \ \
=====UU==UU=====
' / / /||\ \ \ '
''''

TigerŽ

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
Son Of Spy <SonO...@whatever.net> wrote:

>"Ðe×" wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I have been using PowerDesk since SOS posted the download link. IMO, it is as
>> good or better than FMEDIT98 or WINNC. I think that it should be considered for
>> listing on the pricelessware page. Besides being able to handle files in an
>> explorer-like manner it handles zip and cab files just like they are folders
>> (ala ZipMagic). Many thanks to SOS for the tip.
>>

>> Ðe×

>> alt.comp.freeware's Pricelessware!
>> http://www.sover.net/~whoi/Priceless.html
>> http://home.att.net/~willowbrookemill/pricelessware.html
>>
>> A hen is an egg's way of making another egg.
>

>Hi Ðe×,

>I like the program too, knew it was a good deal for Win98-2K
>whose folks sometimes have a hard time running the older
>stuff...However there are some reasons why I feel it shouldn't
>be pricelessware
>
>1) (Least important) Needs more votes

Count my vote.

>2) FMEdit also sees zips as folders

True...and FMEdit is probably still the best.
>3) It is adware
Someone else said the splash only appeared once...don't know yet :)
The ad at the bottom of the screen is hardly noticeable...though
technically, it *is* an ad :)

>4) It is a crippled version of PowerDesk98. When I first spotted
> this thot they were finally giving that away, toolbar is not worth
> $20 why isn't it included?

Probably because it's a waste of disk space...any good toolbar program
will do the same...PowerBar for example.

>5) Kinda false advertising...ZDNet calls it an exclusive DL yet
> goto Ontrack's site and find out it's going to remain free. This
> smacks of shady dealings to me...

Hmmm...shady on ZDnet's part maybe.

>6) I liked Mijenix when it was still Mijenix, not part of OnTrack
> Bought PD 98 and Free Space still the smartest disk compression
> technology around...I'm sorry they were overun...
>
> Still I know a good proggie when I see it...
>
> Regards,
>
> Son Of Spy
>
>--
>Gal:1:10: For do I now persuade men, or God?
>or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased
>men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
>
>http://www.sover.net/~whoi/Index.html
>
> . --- . . - - - - - - - - - - - -
> / \ __ / - - - - - -
> / / \ ( ) / - - - - -
> / / / / / / / \/ \ - - - -
> / / / / / / / : : - - -
> / / / / / ' ' - -
>/ / / / .. \ \
> =====UU==UU=====
> ' / / /||\ \ \ '
> ''''

Tiger®

Get freeware at: http://www.surf.to/tigerware
or http://www.jump.to/tigers_best_freeware
or http://jt52263.home.mindspring.com/index.html
or http://tobias.itgo.com

Clive Worrall

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00

Tiger® <jt5...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> >5) Kinda false advertising...ZDNet calls it an exclusive DL yet
> > goto Ontrack's site and find out it's going to remain free. This
> > smacks of shady dealings to me...
> Hmmm...shady on ZDnet's part maybe.

FWIW if you follow the free download link from Ontrack's site it takes you
to the ZDnet download site.

Clive
clive....@btinternet.com
http://www.btinternet.com/~clive.worrall
http://www.barneybear.co.uk

Leonard

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00

wrote:

> >"Ðe×" wrote:
> >
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> I have been using PowerDesk since SOS posted the download link. IMO, it
is as
> >> good or better than FMEDIT98 or WINNC. I think that it should be
considered for
> >> listing on the pricelessware page. Besides being able to handle files
in an
> >> explorer-like manner it handles zip and cab files just like they are
folders
> >> (ala ZipMagic). Many thanks to SOS for the tip.
> >>
> >> Ðe×
> >>
> >> alt.comp.freeware's Pricelessware!
> >> http://www.sover.net/~whoi/Priceless.html
> >> http://home.att.net/~willowbrookemill/pricelessware.html
> >>
> >> A hen is an egg's way of making another egg.
> >
> >Hi Ðe×,
> >
> >I like the program too, knew it was a good deal for Win98-2K
> >whose folks sometimes have a hard time running the older
> >stuff...However there are some reasons why I feel it shouldn't
> >be pricelessware
> >
> >1) (Least important) Needs more votes
> >2) FMEdit also sees zips as folders
>
> FMEdit has a conflict with PicaView (one of my most fav programs) so I
didn't
> try it out.
>
> >3) It is adware
>
> small band at bottom of screen- still utilizes space better than other
> Commander-like progs

> >4) It is a crippled version of PowerDesk98. When I first spotted
> > this thot they were finally giving that away, toolbar is not worth
> > $20 why isn't it included?

Because then no one would upgrade to the pro version? Actually, there are a
few more features in the pro versio, like a size manager, folder
synchronizer, and simple ftp. These can all be done with freeware (though
the PowerDesk toolbar is one of the best I have tried), so if you don't want
to consolidate applications, there is no great need to upgrade.

The freeware version uses QuickView or QuickView Plus in the file viewer,
whichever is on your system. The pro version supports over 200 file types
and can batch convert over 30 different graphics formats. Some of the file
filters they licensed from the makers of QuickView and some they wrote
themselves. Between licensing, providing tech support and paying the
programmers I doubt they are making a great deal of profit on the purchase /
upgrade price.

> I usually keep a file mgmt app open at all times so the onboard toolbar
that
> comes with PowerDesk suffices. I already use PBar which IMHO is the best
> toolbar around.

> >5) Kinda false advertising...ZDNet calls it an exclusive DL yet
> > goto Ontrack's site and find out it's going to remain free. This
> > smacks of shady dealings to me...
>

> That sucks. And I think I'll send them a little note telling them that
their
> credibility has moved a notch lower in alt.comp.freeware.

ZDNet certainly made it seem like they had more than a promotional exclusive
for 48 hours. That shouldn't be held against Ontrack / Mijenix though.

> >6) I liked Mijenix when it was still Mijenix, not part of OnTrack
> > Bought PD 98 and Free Space still the smartest disk compression
> > technology around...I'm sorry they were overun...

Its too bad FreeSpace probably isn't going to be developed anymore, with the
continuing drop in hard drive prices and increase in capacity. I think
'overrun' is a bit strong; time will tell, though.

> > Still I know a good proggie when I see it...
>

> And I thank you for this. I used to use DoubleExplorer to manage files.
Other
> file managers for whatever reason, didn't fill the bill. PowerDesk is my
weapon
> of choice now.

Me too.

Leonard

Dick Hazeleger

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
Hi Gang,

I personally think that we still will be discussing this item somewhere in
2099 if we won't make this discussion more general and take a stand (which
should be included in our *FINE* FAQ (don't blush, John); it's not about
"this" program or about "that" program, it's about adware in all kinds of
programs!

After having "survived" the Aureate attacks, I think it's now time to
discuss whether adware should be treated as freeware (and therefore could be
reviewed and discussed here) or that it should be treated as Shareware, and
therefore is not a topic for this newsgroup.

Before anything starts, a few thoughts:

1. Pure adware: No phoning "home", no datacollection, no intrusion on
anyone's privacy. If this is all, I'm willing to let this
software be called "Freeware" and continue using it.
2. Think of what you're starting if Addware is to be treated as "Shareware",
I think on Allan's site (and persumely a few
others) very fine programs (including such a nice FTP-client as
"FreeFTP") would have to disappear, they would have
to be taken off the "Priceware List" and we wouldn't know about
them...anymore!
3. Reviewing Freeware programs is not simply install them and see if they
work anymore, the task of testing it on "Spyware
activities" should be part of reviewing (a taskforce...anyone?)
4. Back to Addware, I'm certain there are categories in adware (from the
ones with an add apprearing every 5 seconds - don't say
"this doesn't excist", I had one (a small financial program gave an add
every 10 seconds... it was quickly uninstalled).. - one the
extreme end of the scale to the ones with a small "oneliner" in the
statusbar of the program. Are we going to differentiate or are
we saying "Addware is addware"?
5. Annoyance is a personal feeling; what I feel is annoying an other person
may find normal and not disturbing at all.

I'm looking forward to any posts in reply
WKR
Dick

My PGP fingerprint:

8320 ECC3 B78B B1CD A641 4FAB D151 35EF

Dewey Edwards

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
In article <8b367q$6f4$1...@news1.xs4all.nl>,

"Dick Hazeleger" <di...@post-it-in-the-NG.com> wrote:
> Hi Gang,
>
> I personally think that we still will be discussing this item
somewhere in
> 2099 if we won't make this discussion more general and take a stand
(which
> should be included in our *FINE* FAQ (don't blush, John); it's not
about
> "this" program or about "that" program, it's about adware in all
kinds of
> programs!
>
> After having "survived" the Aureate attacks, I think it's now time to
> discuss whether adware should be treated as freeware (and therefore
could be
> reviewed and discussed here) or that it should be treated as
Shareware, and
> therefore is not a topic for this newsgroup.
>
> Before anything starts, a few thoughts:
>
> 1. Pure adware: No phoning "home", no datacollection, no intrusion on
> anyone's privacy. If this is all, I'm willing to let this
> software be called "Freeware" and continue using it.

I'm in agreement as long as there is a caveat that it is adware.

> 2. Think of what you're starting if Addware is to be treated
as "Shareware",
> I think on Allan's site (and persumely a few
> others) very fine programs (including such a nice FTP-client as
> "FreeFTP") would have to disappear, they would have
> to be taken off the "Priceware List" and we wouldn't know about
> them...anymore!

Agreed.

> 3. Reviewing Freeware programs is not simply install them and see if
they
> work anymore, the task of testing it on "Spyware
> activities" should be part of reviewing (a taskforce...anyone?)

Add to that, fully map your system before and after. So you know what
to remove.

> 4. Back to Addware, I'm certain there are categories in adware (from
the
> ones with an add apprearing every 5 seconds - don't say
> "this doesn't excist", I had one (a small financial program gave an
add
> every 10 seconds... it was quickly uninstalled).. - one the
> extreme end of the scale to the ones with a small "oneliner" in the
> statusbar of the program. Are we going to differentiate or are
> we saying "Addware is addware"?

Every five or ten seconds? That's nosehairware (saw earlier, like
it). Let's distinguish.

> 5. Annoyance is a personal feeling; what I feel is annoying an other
person
> may find normal and not disturbing at all.

AMEN (not sorry for shouting)

> I'm looking forward to any posts in reply
> WKR
> Dick

regards,

dewey

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Dennistjoh

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00

>> 1. Pure adware: No phoning "home", >no datacollection, no intrusion on
>> anyone's privacy. If this is all, I'm >willing to let this
>> software be called "Freeware" and >continue using it.

>I'm in agreement as long as there is a >caveat that it is adware.

Dito. I vote that adware be found here and labeled as such. I can decide if I
like it or not.

Thanks Dennis :-)) remove nospam for e-mail

John Corliss

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
Dennistjoh wrote:

I agree. If you need a program bad enough, ads can be overlooked. However, it's
good to know up front what you're getting.

--
John Corliss
'69 FLH

Netcom lfarrell

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
Hi all,
If anyone is interested, I've got a copy of Powerdesk 2.03 which
was given away in the UK on the front cover of PC Advisor, and this included
most / if not all of the features in the adware version and it also
included the floating toolbar thingy. So if your not happy using the adware
version, I would be happy to email a copy to Son of Spy for him to post!

Regards,
Les.

TigerŽ

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00