[OT] Magic Jack Update

Bear Bottoms

Jun 6, 2008, 8:15:25 PM6/6/08
I've been using Magic Jack VOIP telephone ($20 per year) for some time
now. It's performance has been flawless and works anywhere in the world
you can connect to the Internet.

This update is basically to inform those interested that they have now
increased the number of Area Codes available. They didn't have available
my home town, and when I first got Magic Jack, I had to choose a number
(Dallas) because they then didn't offer my area code and town. I just
changed my number (you get one free change) to my home town.

One of the better deals available on the planet. http://www.magicjack.com

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website: http://bearware.info

Message has been deleted

VanguardLH

Jun 7, 2008, 12:38:52 AM6/7/08
"Bear Bottoms" wrote in <news:op.uccqz...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>:

How much did they charge you for shipping?

Have they fixed their uninstall program so it actually does uninstall?

Do they yet allow you port your land-line phone number to their service
(so your phone number doesn't change with those that already know your
old number)? Their "Yes, but not yet" promise has gone very stale.

Is the manager app still adware? Can you make and receive all phone
calls using a connected phone so you never have to see their manager
app?

Are they still distributing that easily breakable foil-coated cheap
plastic cased USB device rather than make it more durable metal? If it
breaks, you have to buy a whole new one - and along with a new service
plan so you lose the pro rata value of your prior contract.

Does their USB device block both ports in the typical USB pair of ports
(i.e., most have 2 USB ports side by side since their are 2 channels per
controller)? Did it include the extension cord to ensure the other port
isn't blocked?

Did they increase their manpower to actually provide some support?

Have you monitored your network traffic using TCP View, SmartSniff, or
your firewall connection status log to make sure there is no traffic
when you are NOT making or receiving a phone call?

Does faxing work with it yet?

Why do they still lie on their homepage regarding their count of free
trials? It is based solely on dividing up time of day and it increments
from a minimum (but large) value, like a clock. Why do they need to lie
about how many people have subscribed to a trial each day?

Apparently when you add (change) your postal address for the e911
service, they don't delete the old address(es). The result is you
accumulate addresses whether you live there anymore or not.

Their support is notorious for making promises as a tactic to delay you
from getting a refund. Don't fall for it. No matter what they promise
as to what features will "soon" be available, demand the refund anyway.
What they promise they don't deliver, and after the trial expiration the
same call will have you told that feature or service is months away. If
you are not reporting a problem and want a refund before the trial
expiration, refuse to go through their troubleshooting steps which is
yet another delay (yeah, they'll call back with a solution - after the
expiration).

Can its software be configured as to what caller ID gets reported to
callee? I might go with GrandCentral for call management, especially to
ring multiple phones on an inbound call, and would want an outbound call
using MagicJack to report my GC number instead of my MJ phone number.
If not, someone know of a means of spoofing the caller ID reported to
the callee so I can point them at my GC phone number (or my cell phone
until GC gets around to sending me an invite)? For users where
MagicJack still doesn't have numbers in their local area, spoofing is
needed to eliminate long-distance costs for callers in their local area,
like family, friends, coworkers, etc. I'd want something free, not like
Gizmo or http://spoofcard.com (also mentioned in the "Untraceable"
movie) where you pay for the outbound minutes.

Note: Before spouting spoofing is illegal, the "Truth in Caller ID Act
of 2007", still a bill (passed House, Senate & presidential approval
pending; see http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-251), if
passed, would make it "unlawful for any person within the United States,
in connection with any telecommunications service or VOIP service, to
cause any caller identification service to transmit misleading or
inaccurate caller identification information with the intent to defraud,
cause harm, or wrongfully obtain anything of value." That still does
not bar anyone from spoofing their callerID for convenience. Current
telecommunications laws do not prohibit spoofing unless you are a
telemarketer.

Apparently the unofficial MagicJack forum is at:
http://unofficialmagicjack.forum2u.org

Franklin

Jun 7, 2008, 7:17:27 AM6/7/08
On Sat 07 Jun 2008 05:38:52, VanguardLH wrote:
> [trimmed for compactness]

> Their support is notorious for making promises as a tactic to
> delay you from getting a refund. Don't fall for it. No matter
> what they promise as to what features will "soon" be available,
> demand the refund anyway. What they promise they don't deliver,
> and after the trial expiration the same call will have you told
> that feature or service is months away. If you are not reporting
> a problem and want a refund before the trial expiration, refuse to
> go through their troubleshooting steps which is yet another delay
> (yeah, they'll call back with a solution - after the expiration).
>
> Can its software be configured as to what caller ID gets reported
> to callee?
>
> [trimmed for compactness]

Vanguard, you make an interesting set of points.

I wonder if the following statement, made a few months ago by Mr
Bottoms, is getting just a bit too hard to believe.

"I have been formally trained in electronics,
aviation science, BS degree, and many other formal
training events throughout my life, besides my
many many travels around the world and events from
it, using computers since 1980 and a bit more..."

Quoted from this ACF posting ~ http://preview.tinyurl.com/477855

Bear Bottoms

Jun 7, 2008, 8:00:34 AM6/7/08
On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 23:38:52 -0500, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:

> "Bear Bottoms" wrote in <news:op.uccqz...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>:
>
>> I've been using Magic Jack VOIP telephone ($20 per year) for some time
>> now. It's performance has been flawless and works anywhere in the world
>> you can connect to the Internet.
>>
>> This update is basically to inform those interested that they have now
>> increased the number of Area Codes available. They didn't have available
>> my home town, and when I first got Magic Jack, I had to choose a number
>> (Dallas) because they then didn't offer my area code and town. I just
>> changed my number (you get one free change) to my home town.
>>
>> One of the better deals available on the planet.
>> http://www.magicjack.com
>
> How much did they charge you for shipping?

I paid $50 for it which they said was $30 for the gaget, and $20 for the
service year.

> Have they fixed their uninstall program so it actually does uninstall?

I haven't tried to uninstall it and do not intend to. Besides...I
installed it using TU.

> Do they yet allow you port your land-line phone number to their service
> (so your phone number doesn't change with those that already know your
> old number)? Their "Yes, but not yet" promise has gone very stale.

I do not care. This is a second line for me and I wouldn't do so even if
it is now available. They said they would make more area codes available
and have done so. I suppose they will do the same with this question you
have if not already.

> Is the manager app still adware? Can you make and receive all phone
> calls using a connected phone so you never have to see their manager
> app?

I use the phone like any other phone.

> Are they still distributing that easily breakable foil-coated cheap
> plastic cased USB device rather than make it more durable metal? If it
> breaks, you have to buy a whole new one - and along with a new service
> plan so you lose the pro rata value of your prior contract.

What do you want for $20 a year? Why kick a gift horse in the mouth. I'll
bet you pay more than that in a month. I could replace it 5 times and it
would still be cheaper than anything else...besides, it's light and
durable enough. I like it...$20 per year...simply unreal.

> Does their USB device block both ports in the typical USB pair of ports
> (i.e., most have 2 USB ports side by side since their are 2 channels per
> controller)? Did it include the extension cord to ensure the other port
> isn't blocked?
>
> Did they increase their manpower to actually provide some support?
>
> Have you monitored your network traffic using TCP View, SmartSniff, or
> your firewall connection status log to make sure there is no traffic
> when you are NOT making or receiving a phone call?

Yes...it does not.

> Does faxing work with it yet?

Never tried it...I don't use dinosaur fax and if I did, I wouldn't use a
telephone line...I would use eFax and FaxZero.

<remainder snipped due to I'm worn out answering questions about a $20 per
year gift horse> I have a local number, I can call anywhere in the US and
Canada, talk as long as I wish for $20 per year. Touch that with anything
else.

Ari

Jun 7, 2008, 2:49:06 PM6/7/08
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 23:38:52 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

> How much did they charge you for shipping?

Why not ask your Nazi Shark cocksucking twin?
--
http://www.bushflash.com/idiot.html

VanguardLH

Jun 7, 2008, 5:02:46 PM6/7/08
"Bear Bottoms" wrote in <news:op.ucdnm...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> "Bear Bottoms" wrote in <news:op.uccqz...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>:
>>
>>> I've been using Magic Jack VOIP telephone ($20 per year) for some time
>>> now. It's performance has been flawless and works anywhere in the world
>>> you can connect to the Internet.
>>>
>>> This update is basically to inform those interested that they have now
>>> increased the number of Area Codes available. They didn't have available
>>> my home town, and when I first got Magic Jack, I had to choose a number
>>> (Dallas) because they then didn't offer my area code and town. I just
>>> changed my number (you get one free change) to my home town.
>>>
>>> One of the better deals available on the planet.
>>> http://www.magicjack.com
>>
>> How much did they charge you for shipping?
>
> I paid $50 for it which they said was $30 for the gaget, and $20 for the
> service year.

They state that the expected shipping charge $6.95 but that isn't set in
stone.

>> Have they fixed their uninstall program so it actually does uninstall?
>
> I haven't tried to uninstall it and do not intend to. Besides...I
> installed it using TU.

You will need to install it to perform some repairs. From reading other
users' articles, even MagicJack techs had them uninstalling the product
but then they had to do registry editing and disk cleanup before
reinstalling; else, the reinstall still didn't function correctly.

I don't think you've had much time to gather experience with MagicJack.
I haven't had one piece of software that at some point I didn't want to
uninstall (and maybe reinstall).

>> Do they yet allow you port your land-line phone number to their service
>> (so your phone number doesn't change with those that already know your
>> old number)? Their "Yes, but not yet" promise has gone very stale.
>
> I do not care. This is a second line for me and I wouldn't do so even if
> it is now available. They said they would make more area codes available
> and have done so. I suppose they will do the same with this question you
> have if not already.

Porting is dependent on area code availability but not the same as area
code availability. Even where they do have phone numbers available
(i.e., they have the area code in your area), they still don't port.
They've been making that vacuous promise for so long that no users
expect it to ever come to fruition. It's become as much a false promise
as is their false "trials so far today" counter on their home page which
is just a clock.

>> Is the manager app still adware? Can you make and receive all phone
>> calls using a connected phone so you never have to see their manager
>> app?
>
> I use the phone like any other phone.

But from other MagicJack users, their Softphone (or whatever their call
manager is called) will open a window for a receiving call. This yanks
focus away from the current application. The unofficial MagicJack
forums have some posts on this in trying to keep their manager from
popping open, especially since they use their phone to receive the
incoming call, like you, and not the manager program.

>> Are they still distributing that easily breakable foil-coated cheap
>> plastic cased USB device rather than make it more durable metal? If it
>> breaks, you have to buy a whole new one - and along with a new service
>> plan so you lose the pro rata value of your prior contract.
>
> What do you want for $20 a year? Why kick a gift horse in the mouth. I'll
> bet you pay more than that in a month. I could replace it 5 times and it
> would still be cheaper than anything else...besides, it's light and
> durable enough. I like it...$20 per year...simply unreal.

I asked because several users have remarked that the device is too
easily breakable. Remember that one of the features that they advertise
is the ability to travel with the MagicJack to use it at other than your
"home" location. If your laptop was built as cheaply, it wouldn't
survive many trips. The other problem is that when it does break,
MagicJack won't pro-rate the rest of your year's worth of purchase to
apply toward another purchase. You instead get stuck with having to buy
a whole new product (USB device + 1 year service) and completely lose
whatever time you had left with your prior purchase.

Most consumers will see the hardware and service as two distinct
products. Loss of hardware shouldn't mean loss of service. Replacement
of hardware shouldn't require a whole new service contract with complete
loss of the prior service contract. Being cheap is not an excuse for
shady business practices. Just because something is cheap doesn't mean
consumers don't still have some expectations regarding durability,
usability, and quality. I'm sure those lead-painted toys from China
were also very cheap.

>> Have you monitored your network traffic using TCP View, SmartSniff, or
>> your firewall connection status log to make sure there is no traffic
>> when you are NOT making or receiving a phone call?
>
> Yes...it does not.

Good to know.

>> Does faxing work with it yet?
>
> Never tried it...I don't use dinosaur fax and if I did, I wouldn't use a
> telephone line...I would use eFax and FaxZero.

Unfortunately there are still companies and the government that demand
faxes. They can't figure out that faxes are no more secure than
e-mails. Because of the content of these rare faxes that I get forced
to send, I'm certainly not going to hand them over as e-mail to a 3rd
party, like FaxZero, to then have them fax to the recipient.

eFax is free (the topic of this group) for receiving faxes but costs to
send them. FaxZero has a 3-page (however that is measure) limit for
free outbound faxes but spamifies the fax which is highly inappropriate
in the rare instances when I'm forced to send a fax. Someone mentioned
that there is a way to omit the cover page in the sent fax and which
contains the ad but their site indicates otherwise, so I'll have to test
using FaxZero (I see no option to eliminate the cover page).

I'm not attacking your choice to use MagicJack. I may trial them as
well but do it inside of a virtual machine to test all aspects of their
software, especially since I can snapshot back to a baseline version of
the VM rather than rely on their deliberately incomplete uninstall
process. I also have a credit card issuer that lets me generate
temporary credit card numbers that are associated with my real credit
card number (ShopSafe), so I can establish a max charge and duration of
the temp number to avoid abuse. MagicJack, from other users' posts,
doesn't charge until the 30-day trial has expired, and I can delete the
temp card number if I decide to do a return to eliminate the very common
complaint that they will charge even after the device has been returned.

I'm certainly not going to give them my real credit card number so they
can auto-charge it at the 1-year renewal point. If I choose to keep the
MagicJack, I can update the temp card number to increase its expiration
and add more money to it, like a month before the renewal comes due if I
want to continue, or delete it to prevent them renewing so I don't have
to undo a charge that I didn't authorize when discontinuing their
service. Like using e-mail aliases that are unique to each untrusted or
unknown recipient, temp card numbers are equally useful to limit who
gets that card number (so you'll exactly who tried to abuse it or got
compromised to lose control over it) and limit how much they can charge
or if they can charge at all.

From what I've read of MagicJack's policies and past behavior, I don't
consider them a trustworthy company. Why do they *hide* magicjack.com,
talk4free.com, and ymaxcorp.com behind a private domain registration
(where Network Solutions, their registrar, is listed for the contact)?
Yeah, I've heard the excuses for hiding behind a private registration
but they devolve into laziness by the web designer or the inability to
filter their e-mails (their e-mail address only needs to be valid to the
registrar so they only need to accept e-mails at that addressf from the
registrar). http://www.ymaxcorp.com/contact.html gives a postal address
in Florida (but is a post office box) although Ymax is incorporated in
Delaware. You can see their West Palm Beach street address by doing a
search at hoovers.com (http://tinyurl.com/5epms6). I did a reverse
address lookup (http://tinyurl.com/6arffr) to ensure that address
belonged to YMax (it does) and to get a telephone number. I went to
https://sos-res.state.de.us/tin/GINameSearch.jsp to get info on their
Delaware corporation status but they registered through a service
(agent) and getting more info would cost $20. I haven't dug through the
unofficial MagicJack forums to see if someone already dug up this info.
My guess is they are Florida-based (that's where is their office) but
corporated in Delaware (where many companies incorporate themselves).

See http://cpr.bellsouth.com/clec/docs/all_states/802140ab.pdf and other
similar public announcements regarding their other CLEC (Competitive
Local Exchange Carrier) agreements. Apparently Ymax's claim to having a
huge national communications network is really a bunch of CLECs based on
them buying services from existing telcos to gain presense in the
various area codes. Their "network" is someone else's network.

While I might trial their product, I'm certainly not going declare them
a trustworthy product vendor.

Bear Bottoms

Jun 7, 2008, 6:09:25 PM6/7/08
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 16:02:46 -0500, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> Have they fixed their uninstall program so it actually does uninstall?
>>
>> I haven't tried to uninstall it and do not intend to. Besides...I
>> installed it using TU.
>
> You will need to install it to perform some repairs. From reading other
> users' articles, even MagicJack techs had them uninstalling the product
> but then they had to do registry editing and disk cleanup before
> reinstalling; else, the reinstall still didn't function correctly.

I agree and you are correct. Whenever I do need/want to uninstall it, I
have the complete record of it's installation. I do not intend to
uninstall it unless I have a reason to. A reason hasn't appeared as yet.
It may not. I have plenty of programs installed that I haven't uninstalled
ever.

> I don't think you've had much time to gather experience with MagicJack.
> I haven't had one piece of software that at some point I didn't want to
> uninstall (and maybe reinstall).

I have. I have only had MagicJack for a few months and this is an update
on that period of time. It has performed flawlessly and I was tickled to
find they had added my home town to their area codes.

>>> Do they yet allow you port your land-line phone number to their service
>>> (so your phone number doesn't change with those that already know your
>>> old number)? Their "Yes, but not yet" promise has gone very stale.
>>
>> I do not care. This is a second line for me and I wouldn't do so even if
>> it is now available. They said they would make more area codes available
>> and have done so. I suppose they will do the same with this question you
>> have if not already.
>
> Porting is dependent on area code availability but not the same as area
> code availability. Even where they do have phone numbers available
> (i.e., they have the area code in your area), they still don't port.
> They've been making that vacuous promise for so long that no users
> expect it to ever come to fruition. It's become as much a false promise
> as is their false "trials so far today" counter on their home page which
> is just a clock.

I haven't come to that conclusion. Even if they don't, that is not such a
big deal for a $20 dollar a YEAR telephone with calls anywhere in the US
and Canada for as long as you wish to talk and as many times as you wish
to do so. That is $1.67 per month. I dare you to challenge that. :)

>>> Is the manager app still adware? Can you make and receive all phone
>>> calls using a connected phone so you never have to see their manager
>>> app?
>>
>> I use the phone like any other phone.
>
> But from other MagicJack users, their Softphone (or whatever their call
> manager is called) will open a window for a receiving call. This yanks
> focus away from the current application. The unofficial MagicJack
> forums have some posts on this in trying to keep their manager from
> popping open, especially since they use their phone to receive the
> incoming call, like you, and not the manager program.

I agree that this is an issue and happens also when I recieve or place a
call. I would prefer it not do that most of the time, however there are
benefits to it doing so. If I know the number I'm calling...it is
unwanted. If I do not, I want it to as I copy the number from my address
book, pick up the phone, the interface pops up and I past the number into
it. That is rather nice. On incoming calls, it pops up with caller
ID...that is rather nice. Pluses and minuses. One should have the ability
to prevent it if they wish however. Hopefully a lot of such feed back to
the company will invite them to make a feature to do so.

>>> Are they still distributing that easily breakable foil-coated cheap
>>> plastic cased USB device rather than make it more durable metal? If it
>>> breaks, you have to buy a whole new one - and along with a new service
>>> plan so you lose the pro rata value of your prior contract.
>>
>> What do you want for $20 a year? Why kick a gift horse in the mouth.
>> I'll
>> bet you pay more than that in a month. I could replace it 5 times and it
>> would still be cheaper than anything else...besides, it's light and
>> durable enough. I like it...$20 per year...simply unreal.
>
> I asked because several users have remarked that the device is too
> easily breakable. Remember that one of the features that they advertise
> is the ability to travel with the MagicJack to use it at other than your
> "home" location. If your laptop was built as cheaply, it wouldn't
> survive many trips. The other problem is that when it does break,
> MagicJack won't pro-rate the rest of your year's worth of purchase to
> apply toward another purchase. You instead get stuck with having to buy
> a whole new product (USB device + 1 year service) and completely lose
> whatever time you had left with your prior purchase.

I do not agree with this assessment. It is plenty durable enough. I
wouldn't sit on or step on or drop my laptop either.

> Most consumers will see the hardware and service as two distinct
> products. Loss of hardware shouldn't mean loss of service. Replacement
> of hardware shouldn't require a whole new service contract with complete
> loss of the prior service contract. Being cheap is not an excuse for
> shady business practices. Just because something is cheap doesn't mean
> consumers don't still have some expectations regarding durability,
> usability, and quality. I'm sure those lead-painted toys from China
> were also very cheap.

The software must be unique to each device. While that is not the best
end-user approach, it is most likely (and maybe not) the way it was
developed for various purposes...like lying that you broke yours and want
another so you could then have two devices on two computers. Regardless,
it is too cheap to be of great concern.

>>> Have you monitored your network traffic using TCP View, SmartSniff, or
>>> your firewall connection status log to make sure there is no traffic
>>> when you are NOT making or receiving a phone call?

Yes...I repeat...it does not.

>> Yes...it does not.
>
> Good to know.
>
>>> Does faxing work with it yet?
>>
>> Never tried it...I don't use dinosaur fax and if I did, I wouldn't use a
>> telephone line...I would use eFax and FaxZero.
>
> Unfortunately there are still companies and the government that demand
> faxes. They can't figure out that faxes are no more secure than
> e-mails. Because of the content of these rare faxes that I get forced
> to send, I'm certainly not going to hand them over as e-mail to a 3rd
> party, like FaxZero, to then have them fax to the recipient.

I wouldn't expect a company to use a $20 per year telephone system such as
MagicJack.

And I'm not going to declare them untrustworthy until I have proof of
such. It's a $20 per year VOIP that has been working flawlessly for me
since I've had it...unheard of ever.

Sysyphus' Sister

Jun 7, 2008, 7:59:38 PM6/7/08

Four words: Magic Jack is SHITE.

Sysyphus' Sister

VanguardLH

Jun 7, 2008, 11:44:37 PM6/7/08
"Bear Bottoms" wrote in <news:op.uceft...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Have they fixed their uninstall program so it actually does uninstall?
>
> I haven't tried to uninstall it and do not intend to. Besides...I
> installed it using TU.

I forgot to ask in my last reply. What is TU? Is it a better install
tracking utility to ensure complete cleanup when the software is
uninstalled?

VanguardLH

Jun 7, 2008, 11:46:55 PM6/7/08
"Bear Bottoms" wrote in <news:op.uceft...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>:

> I have. I have only had MagicJack for a few months and this is an update
> on that period of time. It has performed flawlessly and I was tickled to
> find they had added my home town to their area codes.

How has the call quality been? Most comparisons are against the quality
of a cell phone call but I don't consider that to be great quality, just
passable quality. I've tested some VOIP services and they range from
clear voice but with too much background noise, too much echo (delay),
or too attentuate (caller was too faint or not significantly louder than
the noise).

Craig

Jun 8, 2008, 12:55:18 AM6/8/08

"Total Uninstall"

Brief description & linkies to last freeware version:
<http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2007/PL2007SYSTEMUTILITIES.php#0777-PW>

Btw, I remember John Corliss saying that, something to the effect of,
the longer a given app is installed the less effective TU becomes.
Hopefully he'll see this thread & comment.

hth,
-Craig

VanguardLH

Jun 8, 2008, 2:47:28 AM6/8/08
"Craig" wrote in <news:eCJ2k.5248$jI5...@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com>:

Sounds a lot like InstallWatch Pro (http://www.epsilonsquared.com/,
still free) but Total Uninstall adds the ability to delete or undo the
changes; i.e., IW = watche and TU = watch & undo.

Do you know how [this old version of] Total Uninstaller compares against
the following free uninstallers:

- Absolute Uninstaller (http://www.glarysoft.com/au.html)
- ZSoft Uninstaller (http://www.zsoft.dk/index/software_details/4)
- Revo Uninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com/)

AU and ZU seem more like TU in that they track the install and allows an
undo to uninstall. Revo seems like an aftermath uninstaller in trying
to discover remnants left behind after an uninstall. I'd probably
better like the track method.

Bear Bottoms

Jun 8, 2008, 7:04:12 AM6/8/08

Yes, Total Uninstall...similar to ZSoft Uninstaller.

Bear Bottoms

Jun 8, 2008, 7:10:38 AM6/8/08
On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 01:47:28 -0500, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:

> Sounds a lot like InstallWatch Pro (http://www.epsilonsquared.com/,
> still free) but Total Uninstall adds the ability to delete or undo the
> changes; i.e., IW = watche and TU = watch & undo.
>
> Do you know how [this old version of] Total Uninstaller compares against
> the following free uninstallers:
>
> - Absolute Uninstaller (http://www.glarysoft.com/au.html)
> - ZSoft Uninstaller (http://www.zsoft.dk/index/software_details/4)
> - Revo Uninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com/)
>
> AU and ZU seem more like TU in that they track the install and allows an
> undo to uninstall. Revo seems like an aftermath uninstaller in trying
> to discover remnants left behind after an uninstall. I'd probably
> better like the track method.

You have pretty much answered your question. I like TU better except it is
no longer supported or updated...ZSoft will eventually take me over
because of that.

Bear Bottoms

Jun 8, 2008, 7:13:57 AM6/8/08

In no way can a cell phone meet the voice quality of Magic Jack which is
almost as good as Vonage which I cannot tell the difference from a regular
landline. Loud and crystal clear with no background noise. There is a
slight difference with negligible effect.

John Corliss

Jun 8, 2008, 7:40:24 AM6/8/08

It's true. This is because all kinds of changes to the registry and
various files occur from day to day which are not related to a program's
installation. If any of them are reversed by using TU to remove a
program, bad things can happen. I've had programs disabled or screwed up
when I uninstall a program using TU. OTOH, if a person carefully goes
through the registry and file changes listed by TU, you can deselect
changes that are obviously going to cause problems if they're undone.

--
John Corliss BS206. I use nFilter to block all crossposts and all Google
Groups posts because of Googlespam. No ad, cd, commercial, cripple,

Caesar Romano

Jun 8, 2008, 7:59:17 AM6/8/08
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 21:55:18 -0700, Craig <netbu...@REMOVEgmail.com>
wrote Re Re: [OT] Magic Jack Update:

>"Total Uninstall"
>
>Brief description & linkies to last freeware version:
><http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2007/PL2007SYSTEMUTILITIES.php#0777-PW>
>
>Btw, I remember John Corliss saying that, something to the effect of,
>the longer a given app is installed the less effective TU becomes.
>Hopefully he'll see this thread & comment.

TU works by 1) taking a "snapshot" of your system before an install,
2) doing the install, 3) taking a snapshot after the install, and 4)
comparing 1 & 3 to find what has changed and saving a list of those
changes.

If an program makes system charges after (4) during it's installed
lifetime, TU might not be aware of them unless they are changes made
in the same registry and/or file directory trees originally identified
in (4).

It's a very good program but no longer freeware. I bought the payware
version after it made the switch a couple of years ago.

Ari

Jun 8, 2008, 9:23:57 AM6/8/08
On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 22:44:37 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

> I forgot to ask in my last reply. What is TU?

In your case, you dolt, it's "tongue under" as in TU Nazi Blinky's
clasper. lol
--
http://www.bushflash.com/idiot.html

Krazee Brenda

Jun 8, 2008, 9:32:59 AM6/8/08
On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 19:15:25 -0500, Bear Bottoms wrote:

> One of the better deals available on the planet. http://www.magicjack.com

Oh, Bear, I use mine all the time. I can fax outgoing, I can call Ari
from the potty on the 5 gig wireeless extension phonse (I have three all
over the house), it works off my laptop which is also wireless to my
router. As Kukaracha Ari's maid says, "No problemos"!

I got this kewl number, Sign of Satan xxx-666-6666 ! I use it with
GrandGoogle thingy and call forward incoming to it (any my cell and my
Skypey).

Bear, I love it and I love you for pointing to yours, er, it.

--
See Brenda's UniWorldWare
http://tinyurl.com/nm2yt

Bear Bottoms

Jun 8, 2008, 10:00:41 AM6/8/08

You couldn't handle my 4 inches :)

VanguardLH

Jun 8, 2008, 6:00:31 PM6/8/08
"Bear Bottoms" wrote in <news:op.ucff5...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>:

One last question about quality: echo (or delay). I've tested some VOIP
services. There has always been some delay but it could range from very
slight to overly too long which makes interactive conversations
difficult as you step on each other or hesitate waiting for the delayed
response. Most times when I test, the callee is very close physically
(and logically through the network route to them) so the delay is almost
imperceptible. Yet I've seen others do their testing with a callee that
is much farther away and had more delay. I've even watched the YouTube
videos where someone speaks into the phone connected to the MagicJack
and it was quite obvious there was a lag before their words sounded at
their landline that they called.

VanguardLH

Jun 8, 2008, 6:01:40 PM6/8/08
"Krazee Brenda" wrote in <news:g2gn2b$n1h$1...@news.albasani.net>:

Okay, lay off the sugar for a day.

Bear Bottoms

Jun 8, 2008, 7:04:21 PM6/8/08

My wife calls Moncton New Brunswick Canada from Louisiana which is 3,000
miles there about. No perceptible delay on Vonage. I haven't tried with
Magic Jack, though I had a Dallas number and talked locally in Louisiana,
without perceptible delay. I'm not sure if where my area code makes any
difference versus my Internet connection location. At any rate, I do not
miss landlines.

Ari

Jun 8, 2008, 8:11:02 PM6/8/08

Bottoms, you did mean to say /wouldn't/

Signed,

Ari The Swing Bridge
--
http://www.bushflash.com/idiot.html

§

Jun 8, 2008, 11:31:48 PM6/8/08
Bear Bottoms wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 08:32:59 -0500, Krazee Brenda
>
>> Bear, I love it and I love you for pointing to yours, er, it.
>>
> You couldn't handle my 4 inches :)

*must resist...must resist*

I'm telling ya....this is killing me :)

Bear Bottoms

Jun 9, 2008, 5:52:51 AM6/9/08

Well, I can hardly wait too...if that helps :)