Good News, FlashGet IS FREEWARE now

tech...@snailmail.ch

Jun 6, 2006, 5:58:39 PM6/6/06
What's new
FlashGet Version 1.72 (2006.5)
* All free !!! * Context menu add to Opera 8.x
* some fine changes
* bug fixed

http://www.flashget.com/index_en.htm

Just installed and seems to be clean , no spyware or whathever...

hummingbird

Jun 6, 2006, 6:16:23 PM6/6/06
On 6 Jun 2006 14:58:39 -0700 'tech...@snailmail.ch'
posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

I find this very difficult to believe; the website doesn't actually
make this claim. Until I see the word "freeware" in clear terms on
their website, I'll continue with caution.

I've got v1.65 bought and paid for installed, and until I entered the
reg key, it contained a banner on top although I believe it was full
function.

tim

Jun 6, 2006, 8:32:15 PM6/6/06

http://www.flashget.com/en/reginfo.htm says it is NOT freeware. Just free
to registered users.

C&P
"The registration fee is US$29.95.
What registering will get you
A registration code emailed to you.
Your code will remove the advertising banners and shareware reminder
windows.
BONUS: For the foreseeable future, all upgrades to FlashGet will be FREE to
registered users.
Unlimited free Email support.
You'll be supporting good software and provide more incentives to make
FlashGet an even better program."
--

tim

tech...@snailmail.ch

Jun 7, 2006, 2:17:35 AM6/7/06
For me is free, i don't see any banners, any spyware or adware and i
don't see any REGISTER button on FlashGet main window or website.Yes if
you scan with poor spyware programs like Spyware Doctor or PestPatrol
you gonna see a lot of spyware in FlashGet but only detected by the
FlashGet name and his famous past of being adware. I scanned my pc
after i installed the new FlashGet with Spybot S&D, Lavasoft Ad-aware,
Webroot SpySweeper & NOD32 and i can't find any spyware like i said
before.

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/8857/flashget7wm.gif

Hermux Tantamoq

Jun 7, 2006, 2:19:42 AM6/7/06

this is not what McAfee Siteadvisor says... and it is not saying "no
spyware, no adware" and so on...

right? :-/

wyrwolf

Jun 7, 2006, 5:40:45 AM6/7/06
Thanx - I always liked FlashGet

--
The Lurkers Creed
'Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool...

hummingbird

Jun 7, 2006, 5:58:16 AM6/7/06
On 6 Jun 2006 23:17:35 -0700 'tech...@snailmail.ch'
posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

>For me is free, i don't see any banners, any spyware or adware and i

A mystery. What appears when you hit "Help/About Flashget" ?

tech...@snailmail.ch

Jun 7, 2006, 6:26:32 AM6/7/06

hummingbird

Jun 7, 2006, 9:29:31 AM6/7/06
On 7 Jun 2006 03:26:32 -0700 'tech...@snailmail.ch'
posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

Presumably you must have inserted your name for it to be there.
IIRC when registering FlashGet, it requires name and reg code.
Are you saying that you didn't also enter a reg code?

Fran

Jun 7, 2006, 11:00:53 AM6/7/06
I downloaded it just now, same thing, says registered to my xp username. No
option to register anywhere, I guess it's really free.

"hummingbird" <OPRBMD...@spammotel.com> wrote in message

tech...@snailmail.ch

Jun 7, 2006, 11:03:20 AM6/7/06
No, i didn't inserted any name. Still don't believe me ? Just give to
the new FlashGet a try. It doesn't make your PC explode.

hummingbird

Jun 7, 2006, 12:05:23 PM6/7/06
On 7 Jun 2006 08:03:20 -0700 'tech...@snailmail.ch'
posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

>No, i didn't inserted any name. Still don't believe me ? Just give to

>the new FlashGet a try. It doesn't make your PC explode.

It's not that I don't believe you ...I'm puzzled why Amazing Software
would suddenly turn a successful product into freeware w/o a great
fanfare and obvious cause. There's also the small issue of messing up
my existing v1.65 installation by installing the latest version if it
isn't actually freeware.

hummingbird

Jun 7, 2006, 3:27:08 PM6/7/06
On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 17:00:53 +0200 'Fran'
posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

[your top post contents moved to bottom]

I remain cautious ...then again I don't buy stocks/bonds either!

bassbag

Jun 7, 2006, 3:52:57 PM6/7/06
In article <02ae825agick77mfb...@4ax.com>,
OPRBMD...@spammotel.com says...
I just give it a try too.Seems fine.Installs bho jccatch.dll for
monitoring browser clicks and also fgiebar.dll which is the flashget
toolbar in ie.I guess with todays hi spec pcs theres no need for download
managers other than for those that like these programmes to play
with.Maybe thats why theyve given it away?
me

hummingbird

Jun 7, 2006, 7:24:37 PM6/7/06
On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 20:52:57 +0100 'bassbag'
posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

That's a fair point ...fast ADSL/cable must reduce the need for d/l
managers, although they still have their use eg an ability to continue
after disconnection and d/l large numbers of files etc. The puzzle to
me is that Amazing S/w's website doesn't actually say FlashGet's now
freeware.

krak...@googlemail.com

Jun 8, 2006, 1:45:18 AM6/8/06
On 7 Jun 2006 08:19:42 +0200, "Hermux Tantamoq"
<htan...@perflinger.invalid> wrote:

Avast Antivirus gave a "Win32:Adan-062[Adw]" warning message during
installation.

Krakajak

tech...@snailmail.ch

Jun 8, 2006, 8:47:18 AM6/8/06
Message has been deleted

MLC

Jun 9, 2006, 10:12:31 AM6/9/06
giovedÄ› 8 giugno 2006 BoB ha scritto:

> No explanation on the FG site as to WHY v1.72 is free!

It's strange, indeed.

I'm trying FlashGet and FYI I've deleted the 'offending' fgiebar.dll (I was
tired of the Avast warnings about the "Win32:Adan-062[Adw]").
It works well without that dll, also with IE6 (and of course with Opera and
Firefox).
--
Maria Luisa C - 09/06/2006 15.12.36
Sleep? Isn't that a completely inadequate substitute for caffeine?

Message has been deleted

tech...@snailmail.ch

Jun 10, 2006, 11:21:37 AM6/10/06
My God, no ofence but you are really don't know what is a BHO. Internet
Download Manager is using a BHO too, Google Toobar add his own BHO
stuff , and a lot of other download managers are using BHO's. In the
FlashGet case it simply add a litlle toolbar with download options like
you can see :

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6038/flashgetbar23at.gif

http://castlecops.com/tk927-FlashGet_Bar.html

>From Wikipedia:

A Browser Helper Object (BHO) is a DLL module designed as a plugin for
Microsoft's Internet Explorer web browser to provide added
functionality. BHOs were introduced in October 1997 with the release of
version 4 of Internet Explorer. Most BHOs are loaded once by each new
instance of Internet Explorer. However, in the case of the Windows File
Explorer, a new instance is launched for each window.

Some modules enable the display of different file formats not
ordinarily interpretable by the browser. The Adobe Acrobat plugin that
allows Internet Explorer users to read PDF files within their browser
is a BHO.

Other modules add toolbars to Internet Explorer, such as the Alexa
Toolbar that provides a list of web sites related to the one you are
currently browsing, or the Google Toolbar that adds a toolbar with a
Google search box to the browser user interface.

tech...@snailmail.ch

Jun 11, 2006, 12:03:05 PM6/11/06
http://www.flashget.com/en/reginfo.htm

''Now , FlashGet is FREE !!!''

So is free after all, do you still have any doubts ? :)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted