About that free copy of Abby FineReader 4.0

John Corliss

May 6, 2006, 6:26:22 PM5/6/06
For those of you who missed it, it's here:

http://www.ilsoftware.it/articoli.asp?ID=2904

I did the download, registered (no real vital info required) and got the
registration code. If memory serves, I didn't really have to provide
info to get the code. Feel it out though. Translating the site and
running a concurrent untranslated window helps a lot.

This morning I finally got around to installing the program and it's
GREAT! If you don't have an OCR program and want one, I recommend
downloading this one. It's not small (58 mb) but it's sure worth it.

During the installation, you're able to select the language or languages
you want, and the default is English

This is a great opportunity to get a free OCR program, and it's the
professional version.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc (who uses sock puppets)

Paul Woodsford

May 6, 2006, 7:04:19 PM5/6/06
"John Corliss" <jcor...@fake.invalid> wrote in message

Thanks John. A great find. Worked perfectly when scanning a newspaper
article into Word. Knocked spots off SimpleOCR.
--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Craig

May 6, 2006, 9:50:35 PM5/6/06
Paul Woodsford wrote:

> "John Corliss" <jcor...@fake.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>For those of you who missed it, it's here:
>>
>> http://www.ilsoftware.it/articoli.asp?ID=2904
>>
>>I did the download, registered (no real vital info required) and got the
>>registration code.
>

> Thanks John. A great find. Worked perfectly when scanning a newspaper
> article into Word. Knocked spots off SimpleOCR.

Looks good. The reg process required *no* uniquely identifiable info on
the first round. Don't know about the second round. After successful
reg-key entry and completion of installation, it took me to a page that
said something to the effect of "registration is required for legal
use." Then it too me to: http://registration.abbyy.com/

Where it deftly lists all the OCR packages available for registration.
Oddly, 4.0 isn't there.

<shrug>

Apart from all of that...I've a bit of a problem. The scanner to which
I've access is networked. It's a Brother 3220CN ([OT] not recommended
btw). Abbyy detects it but <yawns> when I try to scan.

Will report back. Thanks for the heads-up on this package!

-Craig

Dave

May 6, 2006, 11:18:39 PM5/6/06
John Corliss wrote:
> For those of you who missed it, it's here:
>
> http://www.ilsoftware.it/articoli.asp?ID=2904
>
> I did the download, registered (no real vital info required) and got the
> registration code. If memory serves, I didn't really have to provide
> info to get the code. Feel it out though. Translating the site and
> running a concurrent untranslated window helps a lot.
>
> This morning I finally got around to installing the program and it's
> GREAT! If you don't have an OCR program and want one, I recommend
> downloading this one. It's not small (58 mb) but it's sure worth it.
>
> During the installation, you're able to select the language or languages
> you want, and the default is English
>
> This is a great opportunity to get a free OCR program, and it's the
> professional version.

It doesn't have to be a huge install though.If you only install English
it comes out to a 36 mb disk usage. Not bad for the quality of the
program,especially since you get the forms scanning capability too.

Dave

--
"...voters are not apathetic; rather, they are too deeply concerned
with the nation's serious problems to be interested in the

Daze N. Knights

May 7, 2006, 1:33:12 AM5/7/06
John Corliss wrote:
> For those of you who missed it, it's here:
>
> http://www.ilsoftware.it/articoli.asp?ID=2904
>
> I did the download, registered (no real vital info required) and got the
> registration code. If memory serves, I didn't really have to provide
> info to get the code. Feel it out though. Translating the site and
> running a concurrent untranslated window helps a lot.
>
> This morning I finally got around to installing the program and it's
> GREAT! If you don't have an OCR program and want one, I recommend
> downloading this one. It's not small (58 mb) but it's sure worth it.
>
> During the installation, you're able to select the language or languages
> you want, and the default is English
>
> This is a great opportunity to get a free OCR program, and it's the
> professional version.

Hey! Excellent find!

--
Daze

aafuss

May 7, 2006, 2:46:37 AM5/7/06
Thanks!

BT

May 7, 2006, 4:26:20 AM5/7/06
Dave submitted this idea :

> John Corliss wrote:
>> For those of you who missed it, it's here:
>>
>> http://www.ilsoftware.it/articoli.asp?ID=2904
>>
>> I did the download, registered (no real vital info required) and got the
>> registration code. If memory serves, I didn't really have to provide info
>> to get the code. Feel it out though. Translating the site and running a
>> concurrent untranslated window helps a lot.
>>
>> This morning I finally got around to installing the program and it's GREAT!
>> If you don't have an OCR program and want one, I recommend downloading this
>> one. It's not small (58 mb) but it's sure worth it.
>>
>> During the installation, you're able to select the language or languages
>> you want, and the default is English
>>
>> This is a great opportunity to get a free OCR program, and it's the
>> professional version.
>>
> It doesn't have to be a huge install though.If you only install English it
> comes out to a 36 mb disk usage. Not bad for the quality of the
> program,especially since you get the forms scanning capability too.
>
> Dave

Agree. If you custom install you can uncheck all the languages you
don't require.
Excellent programme
Andy

Message has been deleted

Craig

May 7, 2006, 1:48:54 PM5/7/06
BT wrote:

> Dave submitted this idea :
>
>> John Corliss wrote:
>>
>>> For those of you who missed it, it's here:
>>>
>>> http://www.ilsoftware.it/articoli.asp?ID=2904
>>>

>> It doesn't have to be a huge install though.If you only install
>> English it comes out to a 36 mb disk usage. Not bad for the quality of
>> the program,especially since you get the forms scanning capability too.
>>
>> Dave
>

> Agree. If you custom install you can uncheck all the languages you
> don't require.
> Excellent programme
> Andy

Yea;

My install turns in at ~42MB. Not bad considering the feature-set. Now
if I can only get it to work w/my Lan'd scanner.

<wipes tear>

-Craig

Message has been deleted

Anonymous

May 7, 2006, 4:08:36 PM5/7/06
I've tried twice to get a registration number from them and nothing has
arrived in the last twelve hours. Will try again tomorrow.

Daze N. Knights

May 7, 2006, 4:27:30 PM5/7/06
Anonymous wrote:
> I've tried twice to get a registration number from them and nothing has
> arrived in the last twelve hours. Will try again tomorrow.

They don't email it to you. I entered a fictitious email address in
their form, and the registration number appeared right after I submitted
it.

--
Daze

Art

May 7, 2006, 4:28:28 PM5/7/06
On Sun, 07 May 2006 14:08:36 -0600, Anonymous <noe...@noisp.com>
wrote:

>I've tried twice to get a registration number from them and nothing has
>arrived in the last twelve hours. Will try again tomorrow.

When I tried it, a working registration # appeared on a web page. It
took took some fiddling around and browser changes. The web page
with the reg # finally appeared using IE. I haven't seen any related
emails.

Art
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

Ivan V. Klattrup

May 7, 2006, 4:34:09 PM5/7/06
Anonymous skrev:

>I've tried twice to get a registration number from them and nothing has
>arrived in the last twelve hours. Will try again tomorrow.

strange, when I try at "Pagina per la registrazione della propria copia di
FineReader 4.0 Professional" it show it to me very fast, remember you dont
need to write anything in "E-mail" , "Conferma e-mail" and do not check
"Desidero essere informato da Novadys/ABBYY su offerte speciali,
promozioni e novità " just press "Invia" and Voila at the center of the
page the registration number is, starting with FRB4-

--
Ivan V. Klattrup
http://www.klattrup.dk

Anonymous

May 7, 2006, 5:30:47 PM5/7/06
Anonymous brought next idea :

> I've tried twice to get a registration number from them and nothing has
> arrived in the last twelve hours. Will try again tomorrow.

I tried it again but this time I did not input an email address---and
it worked.

Anonymous

May 7, 2006, 5:51:08 PM5/7/06
After serious thinking Anonymous wrote :

> I've tried twice to get a registration number from them and nothing has
> arrived in the last twelve hours. Will try again tomorrow.

Okay---I got it, I tried it, it's a winner and I'm keeping it!

SamF.

May 7, 2006, 7:28:37 PM5/7/06
Does Abby FineReader 4.0 scan PDF files?

Art

May 7, 2006, 8:06:26 PM5/7/06
On 7 May 2006 16:28:37 -0700, "SamF." <Rural...@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>Does Abby FineReader 4.0 scan PDF files?

It is recognition software for use in conjunction with a optical
scanner. It should handle printed PDF files. It has capabilities
of handling images that are parts of printed documents.

Art
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

Craig

May 7, 2006, 11:11:32 PM5/7/06
> From: Craig - view profile
> Date: Sun, May 7 2006 10:48 am
> Email: Craig <netburghe...@gmail.com>
> Groups: alt.comp.freeware

Fwiw;

Abbyy Finereader 4.0 works over lan-connected twain scanners. And does
better than Scansoft's Paperport 8.0...On top of that, there are a much
wider selection of "save as" formats (doc, xls, rtf, html, etc).

Nice proggy indeed!

-Craig

Dave

May 7, 2006, 11:21:14 PM5/7/06
M.L. wrote:
>>>For those of you who missed it, it's here:
>>>
>>> http://www.ilsoftware.it/articoli.asp?ID=2904
>

>>>During the installation, you're able to select the language or languages
>>>you want, and the default is English
>>>
>>>This is a great opportunity to get a free OCR program, and it's the
>>>professional version.
>>>

>>It doesn't have to be a huge install though.If you only install English
>>it comes out to a 36 mb disk usage. Not bad for the quality of the
>>program,especially since you get the forms scanning capability too.
>

> What does forms scanning do?
Form scanning allows you to set up a template to scan the same portions
on multiple pages(eg. name,address,city,etc,or whatever info you have in
the same place on multiple pages..voting sheets,multiple choice
boxes,etc. The Forms function can scan this info into a database file to
simplify a lot of tasks.

Dave

Maris V. Lidaka Sr.

May 7, 2006, 11:54:42 PM5/7/06
I ran the custom install - started it up and got an error message that the
'interface DLL is missing'

Any suggestions as to what went wrong?

Maris

Maris V. Lidaka Sr.

May 8, 2006, 12:57:28 AM5/8/06
Please disregard - I just reinstalled it and I think I know where I went
wrong. It works fine now.

Operator error - sorry.

Maris

Peter Seiler

May 8, 2006, 1:57:14 AM5/8/06
Art - 08.05.2006 02:06 :

> On 7 May 2006 16:28:37 -0700, "SamF." <Rural...@yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>>Does Abby FineReader 4.0 scan PDF files?

4.0 I don't know. 8.0 Pro (I use) does :-)

--
by(e) PS
spam will be killed

Hypotaxis

May 8, 2006, 4:24:03 AM5/8/06
Wow! That is good. I have been using Omnipage 9.0 (inherited with the
scanner I bought years ago!) and as far as errors are concerned this is
much much better.

Very nice indeed. Thanks!

John Latter

May 8, 2006, 4:59:31 AM5/8/06

I entered a legit email address and got the reg number ok - what I'm
not clear about is whether or not I now have to register online.

I opened ABBYY and then clicked on HELP -> WEB ADDRESSES -> ONLINE
REGISTRATION and ended up at this page:

http://regold.abbyy.com/reg/reg_step_2_eng.asp?ClassID=1

Do I need to fill this in? will there be future problems if I don't?
(er, if I do need to fill it in do I select "Fine Reader Sprint" or
what?)

Thanks!
--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism:
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup:

Evolution Research Blog:
http://evomech.blogspot.com/

Anonymous

May 8, 2006, 9:54:08 AM5/8/06
> Abbyy Finereader 4.0 works over lan-connected twain scanners. And does
> better than Scansoft's Paperport 8.0...On top of that, there are a much wider
> selection of "save as" formats (doc, xls, rtf, html, etc).
>
> Nice proggy indeed!
>
> -Craig

This program is awesome. I'm going to recommend it to my employer---to
BUY the retail version of it.

John Corliss

May 8, 2006, 10:28:22 AM5/8/06
John Latter wrote:

> Daze N. Knights wrote:
>
>> Anonymous wrote:
>>> I've tried twice to get a registration number from them and nothing has
>>> arrived in the last twelve hours. Will try again tomorrow.
>>>
>> They don't email it to you. I entered a fictitious email address in
>> their form, and the registration number appeared right after I submitted
>> it.
>
> I entered a legit email address and got the reg number ok - what I'm
> not clear about is whether or not I now have to register online. (snip)

No, you don't. All you have to do is to enter the number you get. You do
this during program installation. As for registration, it's the same as
with most other programs... they're just trying to milk you for
demographic information. Registration won't benefit you in any way. I
shined it on and there haven't been any negative repercussions.

John Corliss

May 8, 2006, 10:32:44 AM5/8/06
SamF. wrote:
> Does Abby FineReader 4.0 scan PDF files?

'Fraid not. However, you can copy images of a .pdf file to the
clipboard, paste them into images and then have the program OCR that or
those images. Kinda tedious, but better than nothing. The program will
only OCR the following file types from what I can tell:

.pac, .bmp, .pcx, .dcx, .jpg, .png, .tif

Art

May 8, 2006, 2:02:47 PM5/8/06
On Mon, 08 May 2006 07:32:44 -0700, John Corliss
<jcor...@fake.invalid> wrote:

>SamF. wrote:
>> Does Abby FineReader 4.0 scan PDF files?
>
>'Fraid not. However, you can copy images of a .pdf file to the
>clipboard, paste them into images and then have the program OCR that or
>those images. Kinda tedious, but better than nothing. The program will
>only OCR the following file types from what I can tell:
>
>.pac, .bmp, .pcx, .dcx, .jpg, .png, .tif

I'm not yet familiar enough with Abby, having only done a quick test
to see if it worked with my scanner on a cutout of a newspaper article
(which it did, sort of). But I do know OCR since I worked
professionally back in the late sixties and early seventies developing
OCR products. I'm going to nitpick your use of the term OCR.

First of all, your last sentence is gibberish. File types aren't
OCRed, they are optional ways the program will store graphical
images.

OCR means Optical Character Recognition with the word "character"
underlined. OCR, by definiiton, does not recognize images. It seems
though that Abby does recognize" them in the limited sense that it
senses the difference between a graphical field and a field of
characters. Or it least it tires to. It then seems to create a image
file of the graphical field and, of course, it generates character
codes for characters it can recognize.

Now, in the case of scanning printed PDF documents, it would be
no different (that I can see) than scanning any other document
containing both characters and images. It would boil down to the
font used when the document was printed, and whether or not
Abby can deal with the particular font well enough. As long
as Abby can manage to separate out image fields from character
fields and recognize the font, it should work. The probem I saw
on my quick newspaper article check was that it had some difficulty
separating a "picture" (graphic) field from the text, which was
understandable (and quite forgiveable in this case).

Art
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

Art

May 8, 2006, 2:27:35 PM5/8/06
On Mon, 08 May 2006 18:02:47 GMT, Art <nu...@zilch.com> wrote:

>Now, in the case of scanning printed PDF documents, it would be
>no different (that I can see) than scanning any other document
>containing both characters and images. It would boil down to the
>font used when the document was printed, and whether or not
>Abby can deal with the particular font well enough. As long
>as Abby can manage to separate out image fields from character
>fields and recognize the font, it should work. The probem I saw
>on my quick newspaper article check was that it had some difficulty
>separating a "picture" (graphic) field from the text, which was
>understandable (and quite forgiveable in this case).

As an afterthought, I think I might see where a communication
problem lies. Maybe when the PDF question comes up
and is answered the way Corliss anwered, people are talking about
the formats Abby can use to file a scanned document. Since it
can store them as Word docs, you can probably scan a PDF
document, store it as a Word doc, and use Word to PDF
conversion sw if that's what you want.

Art
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

John Corliss

May 8, 2006, 7:18:34 PM5/8/06
Art wrote:

In Abby FineReader 4.0, you can open any of the file types I mentioned
and if they're graphic image files resulting from a scan of printed text
(or even if they're not, in this program) you can press the button
labeled "Recognize" to have the program perform optical character
recognition on the file.

You can NOT open a .pdf file and have it run recognition on it, however.

Apparently we have a communication problem. I'll try to clarify what I
meant.

1. You open a .pdf file in Acrobat Reader
2. You use the "Select tool" to select some text and to copy it
to the clipboard.
3. You open your favorite graphics program (I'll use Photofiltre for
this example) and use the "Text" tool to put the text in a new graphics
file and then save it. You could also past the text into a word
processing program (and this would probably be a better way to do it)
and then do a screenshot of that text, then paste the screenshot into a
new graphics image file in the graphics program.
4. Save the graphics file in one of the formats that Abby FineReader can
open, making sure that the resolution of the image is 300 to (I forget,
but I think) 600 dpi.
5. Open Abby Finereader and in that program, open the file you saved.
6. Run recognition on it.

Is that more clear?

Art

May 8, 2006, 8:04:51 PM5/8/06

John Latter

May 9, 2006, 9:19:38 AM5/9/06
On Mon, 08 May 2006 07:28:22 -0700, John Corliss
<jcor...@fake.invalid> wrote:

>John Latter wrote:
>> Daze N. Knights wrote:

>>> They don't email it to you. I entered a fictitious email address in
>>> their form, and the registration number appeared right after I submitted
>>> it.
>>
>> I entered a legit email address and got the reg number ok - what I'm
>> not clear about is whether or not I now have to register online. (snip)
>
>No, you don't. All you have to do is to enter the number you get. You do
>this during program installation. As for registration, it's the same as
>with most other programs... they're just trying to milk you for
>demographic information. Registration won't benefit you in any way. I
>shined it on and there haven't been any negative repercussions.

Okey-doke - thanks John!

arehrlich

May 31, 2006, 10:22:14 AM5/31/06
Tried to obtain a registration code this morning and all I get is a
server error. Any idea whether they are still providing free
registration for v4?

Alan

John Corliss wrote:
> For those of you who missed it, it's here:
>
> http://www.ilsoftware.it/articoli.asp?ID=2904
>
> I did the download, registered (no real vital info required) and got the
> registration code. If memory serves, I didn't really have to provide
> info to get the code. Feel it out though. Translating the site and
> running a concurrent untranslated window helps a lot.
>
> This morning I finally got around to installing the program and it's
> GREAT! If you don't have an OCR program and want one, I recommend
> downloading this one. It's not small (58 mb) but it's sure worth it.
>
> During the installation, you're able to select the language or languages
> you want, and the default is English
>
> This is a great opportunity to get a free OCR program, and it's the
> professional version.

Craig

May 31, 2006, 11:44:10 AM5/31/06
arehrlich wrote:

> John Corliss wrote:
>
>>For those of you who missed it, it's here:
>>
>> http://www.ilsoftware.it/articoli.asp?ID=2904
>
> Tried to obtain a registration code this morning and all I get is a
> server error. Any idea whether they are still providing free
> registration for v4?
>
> Alan

Alan;

When trying to register, I get the following: "ODBC Drivers Error
80004005." According to MS, "The Global.asa file is not located in the
root directory of the application."

Of course, this worked last month when I registered so I don't know if
this was done intentionally to shut things down or they broke the set-up.

hth,
-Craig

arehrlich

May 31, 2006, 12:16:21 PM5/31/06

Thanks Craig, I'm going to keep trying. The comments on the software
look good and I can make good use of it.

Alan

El Gee

May 31, 2006, 2:58:27 PM5/31/06
John Corliss <jcor...@fake.invalid> wrote in

> For those of you who missed it, it's here:
>
> http://www.ilsoftware.it/articoli.asp?ID=2904
>

> I did the download, registered (no real vital info required) and got
> the registration code. If memory serves, I didn't really have to
> provide info to get the code. Feel it out though. Translating the site
> and running a concurrent untranslated window helps a lot.
>
> This morning I finally got around to installing the program and it's
> GREAT! If you don't have an OCR program and want one, I recommend
> downloading this one. It's not small (58 mb) but it's sure worth it.
>
> During the installation, you're able to select the language or
> languages you want, and the default is English
>
> This is a great opportunity to get a free OCR program, and it's the
> professional version.

Any support for OO.o? I am not a MS Office user (obvious reasons) and
Simple OCR was horrid in OO.o .

El Gee Www.mistergeek.com <><
Know Christ, Know Peace -- No Christ, No Peace
Remove .yourhat to reply