Please Raid Alan Grant's Bank...

jim bowie

Oct 27, 2001, 12:07:30 PM10/27/01
Just read some of the 'new' interviews on the official site. Alan
Grant had this to say about the Stallone Dredd....

"I'm glad it flopped, because I thought it was crap. But, at the same
time, I deeply regret its failure, because it represented such an
amazing opportunity: if the film had been a hit, it would have opened
the way to other comics-as-movies as well as giving comics in general
a much-needed boost."

He sighs, without any real bitterness and adds, "I'd have thought it'd
be natural for Hollywood to ask John and me to have a go at the
script. Actually, they did - but they'd had 14 other writers working
on it first. We spent some time working on a treatment together but
negotiations ground to a standstill over cash. Pity, because they'd
have had a much better storyline to work from."

I've also seen interviews where Wagner said they spent 6 weeks coming
up with a totally unique way to do Dredd that would avoid retreading
what 'RoboCop' stole from them. When I asked Wagner about this a few
years ago he said they'd locked their treatment in the bank and had
little hope of anyone ever needing it...

But now they do (desperately so, if they plan on going with the
conspiracy angle!)!! So is anyone at Shoreline going to approach them
for a (fully paid for!) gander at this?!