Austin's Funnies... "BOING!"

Tim O18

Dec 27, 2002, 8:09:40 PM12/27/02
For anyone booked into Funnies in Austin ... a word to the wise ... DON'T TAKE
A CHECK! I just got a notice from my bank that the check they paid me with, and
I was there the second week, BOUNCED for insufficient funds. I'll let you all
know how it all end's up.

O'Rourke
CRUE...@aol.com

John Curtin

Dec 28, 2002, 12:53:10 AM12/28/02
in article 20021227200940...@mb-fq.aol.com, Tim O18 at
tim...@aol.comanblome wrote on 12/27/02 8:09 PM:

Um, didn't we all get a warning about this a while back? And didn't they
guy booking the place come in here all indignant about comics ripping him
because we had nothing better to do? Wonder if he's gonna bother to chime
in now?
--
Curtin
"Let it blurt"-Lester Bangs

Girlsgonewild

Dec 28, 2002, 4:08:48 AM12/28/02
tim...@aol.comanblome (Tim O18) wrote in message :

I'll let you all
> know how it all end's up.
>
> O'Rourke
> CRUE...@aol.com

I think we already know the answer to that question.

Betharini

To my knowledge,,,,duh.

Tim O18

Dec 28, 2002, 4:34:25 AM12/28/02
I took the gig on the word of Bruce Baum that nothing like this would happen.
Well, now it has.

Tim
CRUE...@aol.com

Russ Nagel

Dec 28, 2002, 4:37:50 AM12/28/02

"Tim O18" <tim...@aol.comanblome> wrote in message

I tried to warn you guys. And Bruce Baum was warned also. Good luck Tim. I
hope you get your money.

Russ (I told ya so) Nagel

Russ Nagel

Dec 28, 2002, 4:50:26 AM12/28/02

"Tim O18" <tim...@aol.comanblome> wrote in message

Here's the story we got when many a comic checks bounced here in Vegas:

"Oh someone was embezzling from the business and now all of my accounts are
frozen until they straighten this out"

"My son is in the hospital and I haven't had time to clear this mess up.
I'll pay you before I fly out tomorrow"

Just letting you know the bullshit stories we heard in case you get the same
ones.

Again, good luck and I really hope your money gets to you.

Russ

Tim O18

Dec 28, 2002, 6:07:11 AM12/28/02
Oh, I'll get my money! Remember Ving Raims's character in Pulp Fiction? I will
get medieval if I have to!

Tim
CRUE...@aol.com

MARK KNOPE

Dec 28, 2002, 10:10:30 AM12/28/02

Now THAT made me laugh...hehehe...just the visual alone, Tim. You getting
"midevil" on that bastard's ass...

MK
http://www.knope.com

John Curtin

Dec 28, 2002, 12:50:01 PM12/28/02
in article BA32A72C.208CF%come...@hotmail.com, John Curtin at
come...@hotmail.com wrote on 12/28/02 12:53 AM:

> Um, didn't we all get a warning about this a while back? And didn't they
> guy booking the place come in here all indignant about comics ripping him
> because we had nothing better to do? Wonder if he's gonna bother to chime
> in now?

Oops, I meant the owner, not the booker (Bruce Baum). Sorry.

Joel Pace

Dec 28, 2002, 3:49:10 PM12/28/02
um...um....nevermind!
Joel Pace
Heffron Talent International
The Comedy Zone
www.heffrontalent.com
jp...@heffrontalent.com

EyeSalmon

Dec 28, 2002, 4:07:16 PM12/28/02
If this guy is going to bounce checks he should offer money for the gigs as
well.

Like

MC $5,000

Feature $8,000

Headliner 15,000

That way you can get a large tax deduction.

Ian Salmon
http://www.iansalmon.com
(No Flash) http://www.iansalmon.com/Page5

Opinions made in this news group are solely the views of Ian Salmon
and do not in anyway reflect the views of others.

EyeSalmon

Dec 28, 2002, 5:29:52 PM12/28/02
>If this guy is going to bounce checks he should offer money for the gigs as
>well.
>
>Like
>
>MC $5,000
>
>Feature $8,000
>
>Headliner 15,000

You can write off non-payment for work done right?

Stuart O. Bronstein

Dec 28, 2002, 6:04:43 PM12/28/02

EyeSalmon wrote:

> >If this guy is going to bounce checks he should offer money for the gigs as
> >well.
> >
> >Like
> >
> >MC $5,000
> >
> >Feature $8,000
> >
> >Headliner 15,000
>
> You can write off non-payment for work done right?

Sorry, no. You just don't claim it as income since you never got it.

Stu

John Curtin

Dec 28, 2002, 6:45:04 PM12/28/02
in article 3E0E2DC4...@lexregia.com, Stuart O. Bronstein at
s...@lexregia.com wrote on 12/28/02 6:04 PM:

But expenses still count right?

Stuart O. Bronstein

Dec 28, 2002, 7:10:18 PM12/28/02

John Curtin wrote:
> Stuart O. Bronstein

> >> You can write off non-payment for work done right?
> >
> > Sorry, no. You just don't claim it as income since you never got it.
>
> But expenses still count right?

Yup.

Stu

Tim O18

Dec 28, 2002, 11:54:37 PM12/28/02
Well, here's how it stands at the moment. Robert called me this morning and
"promised" to have this matter all resolved on Monday. Turns out I am not the
only one... Vic Dunlop and Tom Mctieg got theirs bounced as well. I'll let you
know how it all ends up on Monday.

Tim
CRUE...@aol.com

PJ DiSanti

Dec 29, 2002, 5:13:08 AM12/29/02
With my knowledge of "alternative" collection techniques, I should start my
own company, collecting from those guys.

Everyone pay me 5% of every gig you do as insurance, and I will get at least
75% of your pay either from me or more if I can recoup from rubbercheckers.

I would of course have to start this company in a town where there is a lot
of this type of activity, I am in Chicago, but is there a mecca known for
clubs non-payment to comics?

Just a thought,

PJ

Laura

Dec 29, 2002, 12:01:09 PM12/29/02
>Well, here's how it stands at the moment. Robert called me this morning and
>"promised" to have this matter all resolved on Monday. Turns out I am not the
>only one... Vic Dunlop and Tom Mctieg got theirs bounced as well.

Hey Tim. Just wondering how much your bank took because you unknowingly
deposited a rubber check. If the club makes good on the check, ever try to get
them to pay that NSF fee too or are you just grateful that the check cleared?

Laura

Keep your hands and arms inside at all times until the ride has come to a
complete stop.

Russ Nagel

Dec 29, 2002, 3:27:20 PM12/29/02

> Well, here's how it stands at the moment. Robert called me this morning
and
> "promised" to have this matter all resolved on Monday.

Wow! He promised?! Well then you are *sure* to get it!:) Actually you
probably will get your money this time. Robert knows his name is in here now
so he will attempt to clean up this mess.....this time. He knows his
reputation is on the line again. But in the future guys........if you are
gonna work for this club.....don't take a check.

Russ

Russ Nagel

Dec 30, 2002, 3:01:12 PM12/30/02

"Tim O18" <tim...@aol.comanblome> wrote in message

Well it's Monday. It's noon here in Vegas. 2PM Austin, TX time. Any word
yet? The banks close soon. I really hope you and Vic and Tom get your money.
But if you don't.....I would also like to hear what excuse you get instead.

Russ

Tim O18

Dec 30, 2002, 4:57:53 PM12/30/02
Well, ... no word yet. If the money isn't there by tonight Vic is filling
charges with the DA

Tim
CRUE...@aol.com

Ron Reid

Dec 30, 2002, 5:57:06 PM12/30/02
in article 20021230165753...@mb-cc.aol.com, Tim O18 at
tim...@aol.comanblome wrote on 12/30/02 1:57 PM:

Good thing McTigue doesn't need the money.

Girlsgonewild

Dec 30, 2002, 6:59:14 PM12/30/02
"Russ Nagel" <russ...@earthlink.NOT> wrote in message news

> Well it's Monday. It's noon here in Vegas. 2PM Austin, TX time. Any word
> yet? The banks close soon. I really hope you and Vic and Tom get your money.
> But if you don't.....I would also like to hear what excuse you get instead.
>
> Russ

Maybe he's standing in line in the snow for 4 hours for an audition
called Last Lying Club Owner standing? The last lying club owner
standing wins a pile of 500 checks made out to comics, with a
fictitious bank account number.

Heck, maybe I could get into the reality show producer business.

Betharini

SBumper77

Dec 30, 2002, 7:07:43 PM12/30/02
Did you notice no one is coming to his defense like they did when it first came
out he was opening a new club. How strange. I remember some real words being
exchanges and a promise things at this new club would be better.
Defense is now ready to plead their case. So go on.....your turn.....you can
speak now.....you can hear me right?......Is anyone there.......
Hmmmm seems like someone has become quite mute. Could be convicted on
circumstanial evidence. Hope not because we need all the clubs we can get.
Suzi

Marz

Dec 30, 2002, 7:35:41 PM12/30/02
Hey, I was quoting what Burke and Baum told me. I still hope for the best.
It's my hometown club and I'm still hopeful; for me and everybody else. Pray
this crap doesn't come to your neighborhood and you don't get stuck as
liaison when all you want is a gig.
'Clubs come and go but the comics are forever'
Love Marz

"SBumper77" <sbum...@aol.com> wrote in message

Steve Marmel

Dec 30, 2002, 10:30:36 PM12/30/02

>Hey, I was quoting what Burke and Baum told me. I still hope for the best.
>It's my hometown club and I'm still hopeful; for me and everybody else. Pray
>this crap doesn't come to your neighborhood and you don't get stuck as
>liaison when all you want is a gig.

How about this? How about you stop hoping for the best, admit you got duped
like the people who he bounced checks on, and come down squarely on the side of
comics?

How about telling us the line-up this D-Bag has for the next month so we can
call those comics and get them to cancel unless he pays up?

How about coming down on this guy locally for the crap he's done to national
acts, and being a liason for comics instead of this jack ass?

In a way, he screwed you too - only he screwed your rep, not your wallet.

What you were told is fiction. What's happening now is fact.

What can you do to help?

Russ Nagel

Dec 30, 2002, 10:57:31 PM12/30/02

"Steve Marmel" <marm...@aol.commacommo> wrote in message

> How about telling us the line-up this D-Bag has for the next month so we
can
> call those comics and get them to cancel unless he pays up?

Aw c'mon. Do you *honestly* think a comic would cancel? I warned this Ng
about the owner, yet comics still booked the club. Bruce Baum was warned,
yet he still took the chance to book it. Bruce spoke to a respectable
booker/club owner (yes I consider Heffron Talent respectable) and was told
about this situation. But I'm sure all Bruce saw were 200 dollar-a-week
booking fees. Now he has been burned. I wonder if Funnies doesn't make good
on these checks, will Bruce Baum? As long as as there is a *chance* the club
may pay, a booker will book, and a comic will still go. Greed always wins
out.

I have heard nothing but bad things about one certain club in the midwest.
Kansas City to be exact. (you figure it out) Ok, I will say I have heard
that some comics have had no trouble there also. But I, me, have heard more
BAD than good therefore I have never, nor will I try to get in that room.
But that's just me.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Russ

Marz

Dec 31, 2002, 1:06:48 AM12/31/02
> How about this? How about you stop hoping for the best,

No. I prefer to be an optimist and not bitter like you.

>Admit you got duped like the people who he bounced checks on,

Well exactly how am I duped? I didn't get a hot check. I'll admit I was
hoping for a better club situation, tho and this seems to suck.

>and come down squarely on the side of comics?

I'm a comic and I love and help my fellow comics as much as I can. A lot
more than some tight lipped, no helping bastards.

> How about telling us the line-up this D-Bag has for the next month so we
can call those comics and get them to cancel unless he pays up?

Jimmie Pineapple will be here this week and I don't know anything else. I
will warn him in person and whoever features with him tomorrow night.
Perhaps you could try Bruce Baum for future comic info or call the club at
512-477-LAFF.

> How about coming down on this guy locally for the crap he's done to
national acts, and being a liason for comics instead of this jack ass?

If I see him maybe I will. You can, too; he posted his number and e-mail. I
talked to them: Bruce and Burke, a month ago and relayed a message to the
NG. That was the extent of my dealings as 'liaison'.

> In a way, he screwed you too - only he screwed your rep, not your wallet.

I passed one fucking message for Bruce and now I've got a bad Rep?

> What you were told is fiction. What's happening now is fact. What can you
do to help?

I did pass a warning to the two comics who were here this week and one of
them had gotten a hot check from him in the past and was STILL willing to
finish the gig. They got part cash and part hot checks.
Now please read Russ' post. I agree with him. Do you want me to picket?
Boycott the club? I suggested all that early in the game to the Austin
comics and nobody wanted to do anything. I'm not your employee so don't
tell me what to do. Give me a suggestion that makes sense and I'll take it
under advisement in the meantime go fuck yourself.

Marz

Dec 31, 2002, 2:29:03 AM12/31/02
> I suggested all that early in the game to the Austin
comics and nobody wanted to do anything.

Let me clarify this statement before I get more people pissed at me. I was
refering to boycotts and picketting only! I'm sure lot's of people in Austin
and elsewhere 'wanted to do something', I know it for a fact. I'm sure some
more are encouraged to 'do something' now that we all know about the checks.
Some tried to to stop Burke taking over the Velveeta room. The club owner
was warned and went ahead anyway. I can only assume they are not getting hot
rent checks.

Steve Marmel

Dec 31, 2002, 2:40:25 AM12/31/02
>No. I prefer to be an optimist and not bitter like you.

If being angry because friends of mine got screwed out of a weeks worth of pay
makes me bitter, then yeah, I'm bitter.

I won't go tit-for-tat with you. It's not worth it and to be honest, not why
I'm here.

All I'm saying is, you might want to save your anger and indignation for the
folks who gutted a decent room with a great history, and turned it into a
check-bouncing road gig.

Instead of me.

-- Steve

Marz

Dec 31, 2002, 2:55:02 AM12/31/02
>I talked to them: Bruce and Burke, a month ago and relayed a message to the
NG. That was the extent of my dealings as 'liaison'.

Actually at the time I also posted a message to our local list. I took shit
then, too. And It was more like a month and a half ago. It was NOT a
constant message passing by any stretch of the imagination. A LOT of people
have talked to and dealt with them FAR MORE extensively than I have.
Go after them, asshole. Why not rub some salt in the wounds of people who
got hot checks while you're at it, people who've been truly betrayed. Kick
them while they're down. I'm nobody in this. I just want to be able to work
in my hometown club without the fear of being blacklisted or ripped off.
Fuck you you judgemental prick.

Russ Nagel

Dec 31, 2002, 2:59:10 AM12/31/02

> All I'm saying is, you might want to save your anger and indignation for
the
> folks who gutted a decent room with a great history, and turned it into a
> check-bouncing road gig.

That pisses me off too. I did that room (guest spot) years and I mean years
ago. I related to the Velveeta room as one of those Historical markers I see
on the highways.

I also heard Robert was trying to purchase (hopefully not with a check) the
room in Amarillo. Any truth to this rumor?

Russ

Marz

Dec 31, 2002, 3:08:41 AM12/31/02
I'm saying the same thing to YOU becauseYOU came down on ME instead of
BURKE.
I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM COMING HERE OR RIPPING ANYBODY OFF.

=Dana=

Dec 31, 2002, 3:33:04 AM12/31/02
On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 03:57:31 GMT, "Russ Nagel" <russ...@earthlink.NOT> wrote:

>"Steve Marmel" <marm...@aol.commacommo> wrote in message
>
>> How about telling us the line-up this D-Bag has for the next month so we
>can
>> call those comics and get them to cancel unless he pays up?
>
>Aw c'mon. Do you *honestly* think a comic would cancel? I warned this Ng
>about the owner, yet comics still booked the club. Bruce Baum was warned,
>yet he still took the chance to book it.

Yup.

People still fuck crack whores without protection too. Amazing.

--

=Dana=

"We are all like foolish puppets
who, desiring to be kings...
Now lie pitifully crippled
after cutting our own strings."

- Randy Stonehill

w w w . d f w m e t r o . o r g / d a n a

=Dana=

Dec 31, 2002, 3:40:42 AM12/31/02
On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:06:48 -0600, "Marz" <marz...@ev1.net> wrote:

>Give me a suggestion that makes sense and I'll take it
>under advisement in the meantime go fuck yourself.

Ooooh that's sure to hurt your future WFL stage time.

Marmel's making it to "the bigs" I predict... I wouldn't be burning that bridge.

=Dana=

Dec 31, 2002, 3:49:47 AM12/31/02
On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 02:08:41 -0600, "Marz" <marz...@ev1.net> wrote:

> I'm saying the same thing to YOU becauseYOU came down on ME instead of
> BURKE. I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM COMING HERE OR RIPPING ANYBODY OFF.

Marz,

He didn't come down on you.

He tried to talk rationally to you about you unwittingly becoming a schill for
crooks. Then he went on to suggest a new approach.... like asking you what you
can now do to help, now that you have more information at hand.

I'm pretty sure nobody here thinks you're in their camp.

And there was no need to cuss out Steve.

Wilkins003

Dec 31, 2002, 7:34:50 AM12/31/02
Coming from a guy who is either full of shit or just plain silly in the melon
this is quite a rant. Just a couple days ago you asked a group of
professional comics who work hard to maintain a standard of comedy that will
perpetuate club work for all, what do they think a total rookie should charge
to headline?
Now you want to come in here, capital letters a-blazin', and rip into some of
the biggest named peeps in the NG in semi-defense of some dirtbags?
You better get used to hearing, "Ladies and Gentleman, your next open
miker...."

Tim

Curtin

Dec 31, 2002, 9:43:04 AM12/31/02
marm...@aol.commacommo (Steve Marmel) wrote
> How about telling us the line-up this D-Bag has for the next month so we can
> call those comics and get them to cancel unless he pays up?

Does this club have a website?
--
Curtin
"Pardon me while I burst into flames"

Christopher Cannon

Dec 31, 2002, 10:26:19 AM12/31/02
You guys are giving Marz alotta grief here, which isn't
warranted...we go way back in the Austin scene, (mid
80's), and he's one of the good guys. He's not the "open
miker" some of you are labeling him. He's just one of the
Austin boys worried about his scene. He didn't close the
Vel down, or book the room.

Go after the asswipe writing the hot checks, and leave the
hard working comics out of this.

"Curtin" <come...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Steve Marmel

Dec 31, 2002, 10:59:25 AM12/31/02
Insofar as I know, the club doesn't have a website. All the searches turn up
links to the old Velveeta Room, and people mourning it's loss.

Not only does this club not have a site, a few News searches show that this
club has yet to get a single piece of press in the Austin papers that I can
find online... (even using a Lexis/Nexus search) not a good sign for a "new
room."

Anybody know the line up for January?

-- Steve

MARK KNOPE

Dec 31, 2002, 11:10:44 AM12/31/02
>Anybody know the line up for January?
>
> -- Steve

I'm betting that B. Baum does.

MK
http://www.knope.com

mrJohnO

Dec 31, 2002, 3:05:02 PM12/31/02
marm...@aol.commacommo (Steve Marmel) wrote in message
> Not only does this club not have a site, a few News searches show that this
> club has yet to get a single piece of press in the Austin papers that I can
> find online... (even using a Lexis/Nexus search) not a good sign for a "new
> room."
>
> Anybody know the line up for January?
>
> -- Steve

They never publish a lineup, their ads in the local weekly just say
"nationally touring headliners", the comedy listings in said weekly
even publicly beg for info on the club.

It looks like the club won't last long. We've heard they are already
late on payments to the building landlords. If Tim, Tom or Vic needs
some local legwork, I'm volunteering. Hopefully the Velveeta Room
will return to bask in its revered mediocrity soon.

btw, Steve, nice Leno set, loved the "review" bit on panel.

John O'Connell

Marz

Dec 31, 2002, 5:35:43 PM12/31/02
Just a couple days ago you asked a group of
> professional comics .... what do they think a total rookie should charge
to headline?

That's NOT what I asked. I asked for a consensus of what that club should
pay. It was a question that needed asking and this was a good place to ask
it.
I got a WIDE variety of responses. I wanted to get him started on the right
foot. I've always been TOLD what I'd get. And it varies widely.
I said wet behind the ears refering to setting price, not standup ability. I
started standup in '82 and had 10 years performance experience prior to that
as an actor-singer-dancer. I'm just now deciding to make the switch to full
time showbusiness instead of part time. I'm not a 'road comic' yet but Texas
has a lot of gigs nearby to keep a fella busy. Don't get me started on my L
A years.

> Now you want to come in here, capital letters a-blazin', and rip into some
of the biggest named peeps in the NG in semi-defense of some dirtbags?

I was only defending myself. Did you read a single word I have written?

> You better get used to hearing, "Ladies and Gentleman, your next open
miker...."

I hope I never become too big headed to do open mike.

Marz

Dec 31, 2002, 6:52:01 PM12/31/02
Russ, you were one of the first victims in this and the voice of reason.
Thank you. Happy New Year.

Marz

Dec 31, 2002, 7:11:48 PM12/31/02
Thanx Chris
Happy New Year where ever you are.

Marz

Dec 31, 2002, 7:17:42 PM12/31/02
Me, too. Same with Andy H., Jim P. anybody else who needs it. Good idea,
JohnO.

dean r evans

Dec 31, 2002, 9:31:50 PM12/31/02
> Anybody know the line up for January?
>
> -- Steve
i know part of the line up for jan.
ME! me and my buddy bengt washburn
dude, this blows. blows big time
so steve let me ask you a serious pro question: what should i do?
i don't know if this even matters anymore because the club might not
even be open, but still.....curious and worried
i REALLY wanted to go to austin. i mean really.
grrrrrrrrrrrrr
reddreads666
dean evans

ps. "BANANA TREE!"

Jenee

Dec 31, 2002, 9:50:06 PM12/31/02
> let me ask you a serious pro question: what should i do?

Just go and have a great time! Comedy isn't about getting paid, right?

Marz

Dec 31, 2002, 9:57:11 PM12/31/02
Sorry dude it IS closed. NYE show tonight is canceled and it'll probably be
the Velveeta again.
There's a new thread entitled velveeta is dead down there.
\/

Girlsgonewild

Dec 31, 2002, 11:08:17 PM12/31/02
"Marz" <marz...@ev1.net> wrote in message :

> I got a WIDE variety of responses. I wanted to get him started on the right
> foot. I've always been TOLD what I'd get. And it varies widely.
> I said wet behind the ears refering to setting price, not standup ability. I
> started standup in '82 and had 10 years performance experience prior to that
> as an actor-singer-dancer. I'm just now deciding to make the switch to full
> time showbusiness instead of part time. I'm not a 'road comic' yet but Texas
> has a lot of gigs nearby to keep a fella busy. Don't get me started on my L
> A years.

I heard you can get some great headshots done with a Kladiscope at
Walmart.

By the way, I am originally from Texas. The police are not kidding
when they say "don't mess with Texas," . Just ask some of my Mexican
homosexual Houstonian friends. "Here, Jose,,I think you can still
walk,,let me help you,,,limp limp limp."

Betharini

Marz

Dec 31, 2002, 11:24:16 PM12/31/02
Didn't I see you do that bit at the Rivercenter Midnight Madness show? That
shit kills down there!
Sheckie Mcgoogle

Stuart O. Bronstein

Jan 1, 2003, 11:00:24 AM1/1/03

Girlsgonewild wrote:

> By the way, I am originally from Texas. The police are not kidding
> when they say "don't mess with Texas," . Just ask some of my Mexican
> homosexual Houstonian friends. "Here, Jose,,I think you can still
> walk,,let me help you,,,limp limp limp."

You don't have to be a lawyer to appreciate this, but it helps:

http://www.stcl.edu/faculty_pages/faculty_folders/steiner/common-law/CommonLawofTexas.htm

Stu

Girlsgonewild

Jan 1, 2003, 1:21:50 PM1/1/03
"Stuart O. Bronstein" <s...@lexregia.com> wrote in message news:<3E131050...@lexregia.com>...

> You don't have to be a lawyer to appreciate this, but it helps:
>
> http://www.stcl.edu/faculty_pages/faculty_folders/steiner/common-law/CommonLawofTexas.htm
>
> Stu

That's hysterical Stu! And oh so true.Thankyou. I saved it.

Beth

LeifSkyving

Jan 1, 2003, 1:50:43 PM1/1/03
>Subject: Re: Austin's Funnies... "BOING!"
>From: reddre...@hotmail.com (dean r evans)
>Date: 12/31/2002 7:31 PM Mountain Standard Time

I know my name isn't Steve, but I'll answer it anyway: I'd start looking for
another booking, from what's been reported here from more than one source, it
sounds like going down there is a big risk of *loosing* money, unless you just
want to visit Austin at your own expense and don't care about making money if
you do end up "working".

Leif Skyving
http://www.funnyswede.com

Marz

Jan 1, 2003, 3:06:24 PM1/1/03
catch up the club closed!

dean r evans

Jan 1, 2003, 3:26:38 PM1/1/03
> Just go and have a great time! Comedy isn't about getting paid, right?

true, its not about being paid. if it was i wouldnt be in L.A,
but
plane rides arent free.
neither is Gin.
i mean they should, but....
reddreads666

HENEGHEN

Jan 1, 2003, 5:20:40 PM1/1/03
=Dana= <Lord...@sbcglobal.not> wrote in message news:<4ol21vkp9s2pbvcb9...@4ax.com>...

> On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 03:57:31 GMT, "Russ Nagel" <russ...@earthlink.NOT> wrote:
>

> >"Steve Marmel" <marm...@aol.commacommo> wrote in message
> >
> >> How about telling us the line-up this D-Bag has for the next month so we
> can
> >> call those comics and get them to cancel unless he pays up?
> >
> >Aw c'mon. Do you *honestly* think a comic would cancel? I warned this Ng
> >about the owner, yet comics still booked the club. Bruce Baum was warned,
> >yet he still took the chance to book it.
>

> Yup.
>
> People still fuck crack whores without protection too. Amazing.

Leave it to you to drag a crack whore into the situation.

EyeSalmon

Jan 1, 2003, 7:43:04 PM1/1/03
>That pisses me off too. I did that room (guest spot) years and I mean years
>ago. I related to the Velveeta room as one of those Historical markers I see
>on the highways.
>
>I also heard Robert was trying to purchase (hopefully not with a check) the
>room in Amarillo. Any truth to this rumor?
>
>Russ

Maybe he is on a mission to close comedy clubs and cheat comics?

I'd be careful he may snap...

Ian Salmon
http://www.iansalmon.com
(No Flash) http://www.iansalmon.com/Page5

Opinions made in this news group are solely the views of Ian Salmon
and do not in anyway reflect the views of others.

kinetic

Jan 2, 2003, 4:55:43 AM1/2/03

"EyeSalmon" <eyes...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Maybe he is on a mission to close comedy clubs and cheat comics?

It's the next evolution of "bringer shows". The comics bring the audience,
and then pay themselves for performing!

~ Jamie west

Leif Skyving

Jan 2, 2003, 7:48:30 PM1/2/03
"Marz" <marz...@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<v16igf5...@corp.supernews.com>...

> catch up the club closed!

Your anger is misdirected. I am not one of the guys who jumped on you
for wanting to give Robert Burke the benefit of the doubt.
Happy New Year
Leif Skyving
http://www.funnyswede.com

=Dana=

Dec 31, 2002, 3:20:27 AM12/31/02
On 31 Dec 2002 00:07:43 GMT, sbum...@aol.com (SBumper77) wrote:

>Did you notice no one is coming to his defense like they did when it first came
>out he was opening a new club. How strange. I remember some real words being
>exchanges and a promise things at this new club would be better.
>Defense is now ready to plead their case. So go on.....your turn.....you can
>speak now.....you can hear me right?......Is anyone there.......
>Hmmmm seems like someone has become quite mute. Could be convicted on
>circumstanial evidence. Hope not because we need all the clubs we can get.

Russ tried to warn people. Apparently not many listened, including some well
known names who should've known better.

One of the true times ACS was used as the envisioned forum of Gelder's wet
dreams and it failed. <shrug>

Gotta give Nagel credit for trying to warn people. That guy writing bad paper
sounds like pond scum and in Texas we have a little law against what is referred
to as "Theft By Check". (In this case theft of the comics' services)

I suspect the DA should get quick action, that's the wise move.

Tim O18

Jan 2, 2003, 8:54:24 PM1/2/03
>in Texas we have a little law against what is referred
>to as "Theft By Check". (In this case theft of the comics' services)
>
>I suspect the DA should get quick action, that's the wise move.

The DA has not been the pillar of strength we had hoped for. They claim that
they are payroll checks and there for may not choose to prosecute. But we shall
see.

Tim
CRUE...@aol.com

Marz

Jan 2, 2003, 9:34:39 PM1/2/03
I wasn't being angry, just informative with a bite.
No shot meant.

"Leif Skyving" <leifs...@aol.com> wrote in message

Marz

Jan 2, 2003, 9:38:10 PM1/2/03
Man FUCK THEM!!!
The D A is gonna let him walk?!?!?!?!?

MARK KNOPE

Jan 2, 2003, 10:24:12 PM1/2/03

Hey Tim?

This goofball didn't by any chance have you sign a 1099 or an independent
contractor's (ie: "hold harmless, you'll withhold FICA, etc.) contract, did he?
If so...you're not an employee and he was strictly paying you for services
received...?!?

Just a thought...

MK
http://www.knope.com

Stuart O. Bronstein

Jan 3, 2003, 1:19:19 AM1/3/03

Even if the DA prosecutes, it's not generally his job to get your
money. At least, that's usually their view.

Stu

Mayberry

Jan 3, 2003, 1:31:27 AM1/3/03

Hey Mark, I like that. Will you handle my next divorce? Best, JM
--
Website: http://www.JackMayberry.com
E-Mail: Ja...@JackMayberry.com

Mayberry

Jan 3, 2003, 1:40:45 AM1/3/03

That sounds right to me; Stu? Plus even if you didn't sign... a verbal
contract with the implication of 'contract labor' is law binding, no?
And what is the law/stipulation/whatever that makes it okay to 'not pay
employees?' (Interesting thread) JM

Stuart O. Bronstein

Jan 3, 2003, 1:43:53 AM1/3/03

MARK KNOPE wrote:
> Tim

> >>in Texas we have a little law against what is referred
> >>to as "Theft By Check". (In this case theft of the comics' services)
> >>
> >>I suspect the DA should get quick action, that's the wise move.
> >
> >The DA has not been the pillar of strength we had hoped for. They claim that
> >they are payroll checks and there for may not choose to prosecute. But we
> >shall see.
>

> Hey Tim?
>
> This goofball didn't by any chance have you sign a 1099 or an independent
> contractor's (ie: "hold harmless, you'll withhold FICA, etc.) contract, did he?
> If so...you're not an employee and he was strictly paying you for services
> received...?!?

Actually, my guess is that it's not that they might have been payroll
checks per se. If a DA can chalk something up to "only" a business
dispute, they may avoid prosecution and say it should be handled in
the civil courts.

Some states add a big penalty of dishonored checks if, after notice,
they are not paid within a fairly short period of time. For example,
in California you can get an additional penalty of two times the
amount of the check, up to a total penalty of $1500.

I was unable to find a similar law in Texas.

Stu

MARK KNOPE

Jan 3, 2003, 5:53:44 AM1/3/03
>Hey Mark, I like that. Will you handle my next divorce? Best, JM

Naaaaaah, Jack...I'd go through all that work - and you'd end up re-marrying
her anyway!

Hehehe...

MK
http://www.knope.com

LESLIET317537

Jan 3, 2003, 6:06:09 AM1/3/03
>Some states add a big penalty of dishonored checks if, after notice,
>they are not paid within a fairly short period of time. For example,
>in California you can get an additional penalty of two times the
>amount of the check, up to a total penalty of $1500.
>
>I was unable to find a similar law in Texas.
>
>Stu

Thant might be because Texas is a "Right to Work State", which generally favors
the employer.

Just a thought.

Leslie

Vilmos

Jan 3, 2003, 9:53:30 AM1/3/03
"Stuart O. Bronstein" <s...@lexregia.com> wrote in message

Stu,

I think it has more to do with the size of the area you live in. There are
only 35,000 people living in my county. The DA here not only will prosecute
someone on a bad check. They collect the money, no fee to me!

Of course you have to wait a while.....

Vilmos

Stuart O. Bronstein

Jan 3, 2003, 11:29:28 AM1/3/03

Mayberry wrote:

> MARK KNOPE wrote:
>
> > This goofball didn't by any chance have you sign a 1099 or an
> > independent contractor's (ie: "hold harmless, you'll withhold
> > FICA, etc.) contract, did he? If so...you're not an employee
> > and he was strictly paying you for services received...?!?
>

> That sounds right to me; Stu?

There's a difference between simply passing a bad check and failure to
pay wages. Looks like in Texas if the money is considered wages, you
can go to the Dept. of Labor instead of to court. They can also
collect a penalty of up to $1,000. This can also be considered a
crime, with whatever other penalties there may be payable to the
State.

Otherwise it's passing a bad check. Aside from criminal penalties, I
wasn't able to find any other rule that allows you to sue and get more
than the face amount of the check.

> Plus even if you didn't sign... a verbal contract with the
> implication of 'contract labor' is law binding, no?

Verbal contracts are valid and binding in general. If you can prove
to a court's satisfaction that there really was a contract.

Stu

Marz

Jan 3, 2003, 1:19:48 PM1/3/03
> Looks like in Texas if the money is considered wages, you can go to the
Dept. of Labor instead of to court.

Oh yeah I've been through this. YEARS and I do mean YEARS later I collected
after I completely forgot the whole thing.

HENEGHEN

Jan 3, 2003, 2:55:34 PM1/3/03
TheBet...@msn.com (Girlsgonewild) wrote in message news:<4ea0ec06.02123...@posting.google.com>...
> "Russ Nagel" <russ...@earthlink.NOT> wrote in message news
>
> > Well it's Monday. It's noon here in Vegas. 2PM Austin, TX time. Any word
> > yet? The banks close soon. I really hope you and Vic and Tom get your money.
> > But if you don't.....I would also like to hear what excuse you get instead.
> >
> > Russ
>

> Maybe he's standing in line in the snow for 4 hours for an audition
> called Last Lying Club Owner standing? The last lying club owner
> standing wins a pile of 500 checks made out to comics, with a
> fictitious bank account number.
>
> Heck, maybe I could get into the reality show producer business.
>
> Betharini

What about a reality show? We get this Burke guy and put him in a
condo in San Francisco or wherever with the comics who got the bad
checks? Tape a week of this abuse with guest sets by friends of the
comics or comedy in general. Some of my best stuff comes out when i am
angry, this would be a goldmine for comics and the network could pay
off this guy's debt and give us some entertainment we can appreciate.
They could rotate the scumbag each season and never run out of shows.
I can type. Heneghen

Andy

Jan 3, 2003, 3:56:22 PM1/3/03
tim...@aol.comanblome (Tim O18) wrote in message news:<20021227200940...@mb-fq.aol.com>...
> For anyone booked into Funnies in Austin ... a word to the wise ... DON'T TAKE
> A CHECK! I just got a notice from my bank that the check they paid me with, and
> I was there the second week, BOUNCED for insufficient funds. I'll let you all
> know how it all end's up.
>
> O'Rourke
> CRUE...@aol.com

Tough Break, Tim

Actually that PJ guy isn't far off.

Doesn't matter what criminal penalties are, as I understand it, there
are aren't too many places that don't recognize checks as commercial
paper. Liquidity of that debt depends on that buyer.

With any commercial paper you are entitled to sell the debt to
anybody. They assume risk and because of that risk will offer to
purchase the paper at a discount. What you deem is an appropriate
discount is up to you. The law can't determine that -- but give John
Ashcroft time.

But you appear to cover yourself by going to the DA and the DA has
told you it's a civil matter. Which is the DA's way of endorsing your
civil right to sell your debt.

So if you sell the paper to somebody with some unconventional
collection methods that's not your problem anymore.

Check out the local bike night. Look for the fellows wearing colors.
Outlaw bike gangs will usually welcome assuming the debt of somebody
with a liquor license and a wait staff they don't want anybody to
touch.

Don't get nasty and tell them you want them to break the fellow's
thumbs so he can't wipe his ass for a few months. They're smart enough
to come up with their own collection techniques. They don't need your
advice. And you don't need to be involved with the details.

Too bad you can't implicate the booker, Baum, in this. Bookers already
don't know how to answer phones, not wiping their own asses would be
poetic justice.

It's the kind of deal where you get some money out of the deal, and a
lot more satisfaction.

Andy

Joel Pace

Jan 3, 2003, 4:04:57 PM1/3/03
>From: Andy...@excite.com (Andy)

>Bookers already
>don't know how to answer phones, not wiping their own asses would be

Hey....I tell you what. You can kiss my....crap.....gotta go take a call!

Joel Pace
Heffron Talent International
The Comedy Zone
www.heffrontalent.com
jp...@heffrontalent.com

Marz

Jan 3, 2003, 11:27:01 PM1/3/03
See, now this guy has some constructive ideas! I like the cut of your jib.

Stuart O. Bronstein

Jan 4, 2003, 1:12:28 AM1/4/03

HENEGHEN wrote:
> TheBet...@msn.com (Girlsgonewild) wrote

> > Heck, maybe I could get into the reality show producer business.
>

> What about a reality show? We get this Burke guy and put him in a
> condo in San Francisco or wherever with the comics who got the bad
> checks? Tape a week of this abuse with guest sets by friends of the
> comics or comedy in general.

Yeah, that would be a real People's Court.

Stu

Prinny

Jan 4, 2003, 2:53:41 AM1/4/03
comedypace

> Hey....I tell you what. You can kiss my....crap.....gotta go take a call!

That was ME on the phone... ring me back!

Prinn xxxx
--
[The Boss of AT&T]

kinetic

Jan 4, 2003, 11:02:50 PM1/4/03

> There's a difference between simply passing a bad check and failure to
> pay wages. Looks like in Texas if the money is considered wages, you
> can go to the Dept. of Labor instead of to court. They can also
> collect a penalty of up to $1,000. This can also be considered a
> crime, with whatever other penalties there may be payable to the
> State.

What's all this talk about "DA's" and "contracts"? Whatever happened to "You
can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead hands."? Jesus, if you
aren't going to use your guns to avenge yourself street-justice style, then
you might as well be Canadian.

~ Jamie West

Stuart O. Bronstein

Jan 5, 2003, 12:57:50 AM1/5/03

kinetic wrote:
> "Stuart O. Bronstein" <s...@lexregia.com> wrote
>

> > There's a difference between simply passing a bad check and failure to
> > pay wages. Looks like in Texas if the money is considered wages, you
> > can go to the Dept. of Labor instead of to court. They can also
> > collect a penalty of up to $1,000. This can also be considered a
> > crime, with whatever other penalties there may be payable to the
> > State.
>
> What's all this talk about "DA's" and "contracts"? Whatever happened to "You
> can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead hands."? Jesus, if you
> aren't going to use your guns to avenge yourself street-justice style, then
> you might as well be Canadian.

Ya know, not living in Texas myself, I almost forgot about that.

Stu

Brad

Jan 13, 2003, 12:40:34 AM1/13/03

>What about a reality show? We get this Burke guy and put him in a
>condo in San Francisco or wherever with the comics who got the bad
>checks? Tape a week of this abuse with guest sets by friends of the
>comics or comedy in general. Some of my best stuff comes out when i am
>angry, this would be a goldmine for comics and the network could pay
>off this guy's debt and give us some entertainment we can appreciate.
>They could rotate the scumbag each season and never run out of shows.
>I can type. Heneghen

Okay, I didn't read all the messages, but am getting that the austin club has
already been bouncing checks? Just want to know what happened, and why no one
believed us naysayers in the first place?
best
brad
http://www.streetjoke.com
http://www.billyfustertag.com