Tech:Rock Ola 1485 intermittent sound quality

GOCATGO

Dec 14, 2009, 8:05:16 PM12/14/09
Howdy juke box hobbyists

I'm somewhat of a regular on RGP/Team-EM but have a juke box question
maybe somebody here can lead me in the right direction of repair.
Please not the juke box does not get played that often so maybe that
may have something to do w/it.

The problem is intermittent sound quality...most of the record
playing time it is not very audible w/minimum clear sound...cuts in
and out. The amp was rebuilt by Bill Bickers about 4-5 years ago(not
sure exactly but probably have some paperwork on it) He only replaced
what was neccessary at the time(I had wanted all new) so I'm wondering
if it is something w/the amp. I don't know a lot about juke box
repair but only from what I have read(have the rockola troubleshooting
guides)and was fortunate enough to have Rockola Charlie(Charlie
Maier...spelling?)help me tremendously w/tech over the phone when I
was restoring this, and unfortunately he has since passed away as most
of you probably know.

Any guidance extremely appreciated and thank you in advance.

Russ
Keep on flippin' AL
www.Team-EM.com

Oldtimejuker

Dec 31, 2009, 2:04:39 PM12/31/09

I think it is likely you have a connection problem. This could be in
your tone controls, poor connection in the plugs going to the amp, and
possibly bad contact with the tube sockets. I would get it playing a
record and work the tone controls back and forth . Also flex any plugs
and all the tubes. Don't remove them - just wiggle them around a good
bit. Some tubes get hot, use a rag or gloves. If your sound pops in
you've found the problem area. Hope this helps, Ray

GOCATGO

Jan 6, 2010, 6:37:44 PM1/6/10
> you've found the problem area. Hope this helps,  Ray- Hide quoted text -

Howdy Ray

Thank you kindly for the advice Ray. Now I just got to get to takin'
a look at it....need to be in the mood since this is kinda' unknown
territory for me...don't want to make it worse! ; ) Once I do take a
look I'll post back what was found, and hopefully it WILL be fixed.
Thanks again.

Russs

NJ Mike

Jan 7, 2010, 5:58:59 PM1/7/10
Russ,
I just got done with my first Juke and I have learned a lot. Very
different than EM's!

Just a real simple check. Make sure the tone arm pressure isn't too
light. I was having a similiar type of issue,. As a quick check, I
lightly pressed the tonearm while the record was playing and it
sounded much better. I then adjusted the tonearm pressure and the
sound was steady.

Good luck, and happy new year!

Mike Berger

GOCATGO

Jan 12, 2010, 5:49:39 PM1/12/10

Howdy Mike

Don't think it's the tone arm, but haven't had a chance yet to check
it out...hopefully soon. Thanks for the tip. How do you press the
tone arm w/out scratching the needle across the record?! ; ) This
was my first juke too...and last! Happy New Year to you too.

Russ

NJ Mike

Jan 12, 2010, 5:54:14 PM1/12/10
Russ,
I used a crappy record, and while playing I just lighly pressed down
on the tone arm. Alternatively, you could also increase the tone arm
pressure.

Happy New Year to you too!

Last juke? .......we'll see:-)

Mike