Whatcha listening on?

1 view

Stereo__8

Jan 9, 2007, 3:49:14 PM1/9/07
Here's my system; show me yours and I'll (heh heh heh) show you mine...

Here's what my system consists of:

Turntable: LAB 15 linear trackwe fitted with a Grado Black cartridge

8-Track Deck: Pioneer H-R100, soon to change to (most likely) an Akai
quad unit (because it'll record in Quad)

Amplifier: Sanyo DCX 3300 KA (Quad!)

Front Speakers: Sanyo SS 685

Rear: Technics ???? (something-or-another)

CD/DVD/TV: My PC

DeserTBoB

Jan 9, 2007, 4:46:20 PM1/9/07
On 9 Jan 2007 12:49:14 -0800, "Stereo__8" <Ster...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Here's my system; show me yours and I'll (heh heh heh) show you mine...

OK

Turntables: Technics SP10 with SME 3009 Ser. III arm and
MicroAcoustics 630mp and 830csa cartridges, Technics SL1200 with SME
3009 Ser. II arm and various cartridges...Grado Blue, Shure V15 Type
4, Shure M7D (for those really bad eBay discs) and Grado "Mono," all
in SME headshells, Empire with Stanton 630 with 78 RPM stylus for 78s.

8-Track Decks: Wollensak 8075A, Lafayette RK890A

Amplifier: Bass: Hafler DH-220, treble: Crown D-75, Crown Xover at 1
KHz, 12 dB/octave.

Preamp: Soundcraftsman PE 2217R with retrofit op-amp phono and line
amp stages.

Speakers: JBL 4302 monitors in den/control room with 2405 tweets
added, custom Klipschorns with JBL 2215 in 4 ohm with 2350 radial
horn/2440 16 ohm driver and 2405 slot tweeter in front room, JBL
crossovers.

CD player: Harman-Kardon something

DVD-RW: JVC DVD/VHS combo something-or-another...plays mp3 direct
through onboard codec.

Cassette tape: Nakamichi Dragon, Onkyo TD-630D for pre-1981 Dolby
tapes.

RTR: Ampex 351-2, Teac A3440S w/dbx, ReVox B77 2 trk., high speed,
Ampex 300-3 WITH SEL-SYNC!. No 3ž IPS capability anywhere anymore!
Ampex has both -13 tube chasses and rebuilt Innovonics chasses using
better op-amps. Full track head bridge available for Ampex 351, 2
track ˝" head bridge available for 300; 300-3 and 351-2 both have AME
EQ and have the direct mic input transformers for 150 ohm....perfect
for ribbon mics, below.

Patch bay: Western Electric

Digital editing/recording: AMD dual core running ProTools, dual M
Audio 2496 cards. CD-R: Sony (2) @ 52X DVD-R: Sony @ 16X.

Mics: EV PL510 (2), RCA 77B (3), RCA 77DX (1), RCA 44DX (1), Shure
SM58s (3)

System is set up for live recording on short notice, as well as
transcription work, biased toward transcription of 2 and 3 track
masters to digits. Ampex 351-2 has Anvil case for remote recording.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

DeserTBoB

Jan 10, 2007, 11:49:50 AM1/10/07
On 10 Jan 2007 08:42:36 -0800, "duty-honor-country"
<dutyhono...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>what a pile of shit Charlie Nudo is ! <snip>

We know, Noodles...we know.

http://nudowatch.blogspot.com

New information on the worst eBay spammer out there!

New links to Noodles' entire Usenet history!

DeserTBoB

Jan 10, 2007, 12:19:01 PM1/10/07
Archived to prevent Charles M. Nudo, Jr., Drums, PA, aka
"duty-honor-country" from deleting his own posts on Google Groups'
servers:

On 10 Jan 2007 08:43:59 -0800, "duty-honor-country"
<dutyhono...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>that's even worse than stereo 8's setup !
>
>what a pile of outdated junk that is !

DeserTBoB

Jan 10, 2007, 12:19:44 PM1/10/07
Archived to prevent Charles M. Nudo, Jr., Drums, PA, from deleting his

<dutyhono...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>what a pile of shit that is !

duty-honor-country

Jan 11, 2007, 11:26:02 AM1/11/07

hmmm....what about the other 1315 people, that left positive feedback
for 1587 transactions ? oddly enough, you left that out...that means
quite a few REPEAT customers, on at least 272 transactions

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=66fourdoor&ssPageName=STRK:ME:UFS

nice, informative website as well, put up on his own coin, for 8-track
hobbyists:

www.8trackaudio.com

and some really interesting auction items for sale as well, a little of
everything, very reasonably priced:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZ66fourdoor

methinks you dost protest too much...

DeserTBoB

Jan 11, 2007, 12:20:52 PM1/11/07
Archived to prevent Charles M. Nudo, Jr., Drums, PA, from deleting his
own posts on Google Groups' servers:

On 10 Jan 2007 08:42:36 -0800, "duty-honor-country"

Stereo__8

Jan 11, 2007, 12:38:24 PM1/11/07

duty-honor-country wrote:
> that's even worse than stereo 8's setup !
>
> what a pile of outdated junk that is !

LOL- we're talking aboot Quadraphonic amps and 8 track decks.

"Outdated" perhaps, "junk" NO, because they didn't come from you!

LOL- flail away, bitch, flail away! ;-D LOL!!!

William W Western

Jan 12, 2007, 12:35:25 PM1/12/07
>that's even worse than stereo 8's set-up !

>what a pile of outdated junk that is !
I will save some time here and just admit right now that my
stuff is a pile of shit.

duty-honor-country

Jan 15, 2007, 7:55:40 PM1/15/07

(he yells lines above, as stereo 8 wacks his dick furiously.....)

DeserTBoB

Jan 16, 2007, 1:52:08 AM1/16/07
On 15 Jan 2007 16:55:40 -0800, "duty-honor-country"
<dutyhono...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>(he yells lines above, as stereo 8 wacks his dick furiously.....) <snip>

Crap...and here I was hoping against all hope that he'd taken my
advice and chucked his thrift store computer into Lake Bumler!

No such luck...but the respite was nice!

darnoc

Jan 24, 2007, 9:18:16 PM1/24/07
yamaha ax-596 amp

B&W 602 S2 speakers
    dampened with english oxford dictionaries (unabridged)

yamaha kx-393 cassette deck

wollensak 8075a  8 track

pioneer rt-701 reel

scott 530t tuner
    got a scott 420 amp too that drives some old utah speakers

technics sl-1210 phono
    grado black
    shure v15 III
        ar-xa in limbo

sony something MD
    click of death modified

creative x-fi  "EXTREME" (emphasis mine for X-tra stupidity, but it don't sound bad)
    with a sweet RF leak mod

My next audio "upgrade" is going to be a silent computer power supply (that preferably doesn't leak RF).
    don't buy cheap PC parts!

cheers,
darnoc

DeserTBoB

Jan 25, 2007, 3:23:58 AM1/25/07
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:18:16 -0600, "darnoc" <nots...@mail.ru>
wrote:

>B&W 602 S2 speakers
> dampened with english oxford dictionaries (unabridged) <snip>

HAHAHA! ....for that "Wharfdale" sound, no doubt!

>My next audio "upgrade" is going to be a silent computer power supply (that preferably doesn't leak RF).

> don't buy cheap PC parts! <snip>

No kidding. Sound Plaster audio boards were notorious for picking up
switching harmonics off of AT PSes back when. Even double shielded
PSes would leak enough RF to be picked up by the Sound Plaster
3600...we're talking old here. I've avoided Creative Labs products
ever since. Later testing showed most Creative boards to be high in
noise, harmonic distortion, and leakage sensitivity. Their stuff's
usually entry level crap.

Good choice in 8 track decks, too! Most don't realize it, but the
8075 used a better head than the 8055/8056 versions, and has Dolby B,
to boot. The problem I had with mine initially was bad solder on the
Dolby board, but some retracing with an iron took care of that, and
after some capacitor replacement and alignment, it's been as good as 8
track gets since then. I still don't care for the "cart in/power on"
arrangement, but it's OK. Only the glass head Akais have a better top
end, and they get that by cutting off the bottom octave of bottom to
get it.

Andy

Jan 26, 2007, 2:25:59 AM1/26/07
then what do you consider a good or best sound card.

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"DeserTBoB" <des...@rglobal.net> wrote in message

DeserTBoB

Jan 26, 2007, 11:23:50 AM1/26/07
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 02:25:59 -0500, "Andy" <N...@n.com> wrote:

>then what do you consider a good or best sound card. <snip>

Don't really have a "best," since they all have good and not-so-good
points. M-Audio has a nice line of pro and semi-pro sound cards out
and their DAC performance is superb, as is their ability to handle 96
Kb/s encoding. I fiddled with Creative's "Audigy" crap board for aa
day or so before making them eat it, and it had all the usual Creative
problems...misplaced attenuators, bad DACs, noise, you name it..
Creative/Sound Plasterer is retail store junk, AFAIC, always has been.
Biggest ripoff out there today is the "Sound Blaster Live!" thing,
although gamers (who aren't really the best arbiters of audio quality)
seem to eat them up.