How do I telnet to a specific VTY line

Nick James Clarke

Dec 8, 2006, 5:10:33 PM12/8/06
My question is,is it possible to direct my telnet session to specific vty
line..eg: telnet 192.168.1.10 VTY 2....so that i can give different
passsword
to different line...

Jax

Dec 9, 2006, 9:20:08 AM12/9/06

you can't.
if you have 5 vty lines (0-4), they fill up in the order of incoming
telnet sessions
0 will be first, then 1, then 2...etc etc
if someone telnets and they get vty 0, but they log out before your telnet
session, you will then get vty 0

Nick James Clarke

Dec 9, 2006, 5:15:31 PM12/9/06
in the cisco text they tell

Telnet requires a password check. Different hardware platforms have
different numbers

of vty lines defined. The range 0 through 4 is used to specify five vty
lines. These

five incoming Telnet sessions can be simultaneous. The same password can be
used for

all lines, or one line can be set uniquely. This often is used in large
networks with many

network administrators. If a catastrophic problem occurs on a network and
all common

vty lines are used, the one unique line can be reserved for recovery.

so how do i connect to the unique line

thanks nick
"Nick James Clarke" <nic...@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message

Drake

Dec 9, 2006, 6:47:07 PM12/9/06

> in the cisco text they tell
>
> Telnet requires a password check. Different hardware platforms have
> different numbers of vty lines defined. The range 0 through 4 is used to
> specify five vty
> lines. These five incoming Telnet sessions can be simultaneous. The same
> password can be
> used for all lines, or one line can be set uniquely. This often is used in
> large
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You configure one vty diffrently from the others to ensure no one can get to
it but you. You do not
specify the line, you merely insure the availability of at least one line.

> networks with many network administrators. If a catastrophic problem
> occurs on a network
> and all common vty lines are used, the one unique line can be reserved for
> recovery. so how do i connect to the unique line

Paul Morris

Dec 10, 2006, 11:25:32 AM12/10/06

"Drake" <dr...@nola.net> wrote in message
To be exact, as I've just done it on one of my test 2500 router:

router1> en
router1# conf t
router1(config)# line vty 0 3
router1(config-line)#password general_access
router1(config-line)#login
router1(config-line)# line vty 4
router1(config-line) password emergency_access_only
router1(config-line) login
router1(config-line) exit
router1(config)exit
router1#
%SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console
copy run start

I think this is indeed in one of the Wendell Odom books, but can't find the
reference right now.

PM

nakhm...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2006, 12:22:34 PM12/12/06

> router1> en
> router1# conf t
> router1(config)# line vty 0 3
> router1(config-line)#password general_access
> router1(config-line)#login
> router1(config-line)# line vty 4
> router1(config-line) password emergency_access_only
> router1(config-line) login
> router1(config-line) exit
> router1(config)exit
> router1#

and how you would distinguish which vty is in use? (which password to
use?)
best guest - configure 2 sets of vty with different ACLs

Roman Nakhmanson

Doan

Dec 12, 2006, 3:21:25 PM12/12/06

You would try the first one first, if that failed, the second.

Doan

nakhm...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2006, 3:03:28 PM12/13/06

HaHaHa - you got me on that one. How could I possibly miss THAT

ok, here comes some doubts ;-)
in a company with the amount of network admins >=1 there is a BIG
chance of people knowing ONLY the first OR the second, or more likely
scenario with TACACS/RADIUS in place. Besides AFAIK you are not going
to jump from ASSIGNED to your session vty just because you put a wrong
password.
The point is - on a normal day you could end up on EMERGENCY vty (if
ACL are not in place) just because the other vtys were busy.
The poster have asked how to RESERVE a vty from being used by regular
activity. My opinion - only by using a dedicated (emergency) management
terminal with an ACL.

Roman Nakhmanson

Paul Morris

Dec 14, 2006, 8:06:14 AM12/14/06

<nakhm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Yep, I'd agree with that. ACL pointing to s specific host using that
"access-class" command. To check which vty lines are busy, that's "show
sessions".

PM