Is there a way to Block a Phone Number?

SamE

Dec 30, 2002, 1:45:31 AM12/30/02
Someone keeps calling my cell phone (954 area code) from
a (504 area code) several times a day for the past week.
It always shows the same number on the Caller ID.
I don't know who it is, since they always hang up and
never leave a message.

On my house phone, there is a feature named "Selective Call Blocking"
where you can dial *60 and enter the phone number you wish to
block. Then if they try to call, it gives them a message saying that I
am not accepting calls from that number.

Is there anything like this on Verizon? I'd really hate to have to change my
Cell number over this. I have the main phone with a shared phone on the
Family Share LDC plan, and both phone number are sequential.
From what I understand now, there is no way it "choose" your
cell phone number anymore.

-SamE.

LC

Dec 30, 2002, 2:10:17 PM12/30/02
We have had a customer with this problem.

After calling customer service they couldn't help us with anything. So to
answer you question, I don't believe so.

jim turner

Dec 30, 2002, 2:40:26 PM12/30/02
> > On my house phone, there is a feature named "Selective Call Blocking"
> > where you can dial *60 and enter the phone number you wish to
> > block. Then if they try to call, it gives them a message saying that I
> > am not accepting calls from that number.

If you have selectable ringers by caller, you COULD make a phonebook
entry
for the offending number, and select "silent" for the ringer.
While not as good as call blocking -- it will stop
annoying ringing at inconvienet times.

Steven J. Sobol

Dec 30, 2002, 3:42:06 PM12/30/02
From 'jim turner' <ab...@127.0.0.1>:

Nokia phones allow you to block calls from certain numbers so that the
phone doesn't ring, and you can't pick it up. Caller ID, of course,
must be transmitted with the call for this to work. It worked on my
3285 and 6185. Don't know whether it works on lower-end phones like
AT&T's 1200 series or the 5100 series.

--
Steve Sobol, CTO JustThe.net LLC, Mentor On The Lake, OH
http://JustTheNetLLC.com/ 888.480.4NET (4638)

A practicing member of the Geek Orthodox religion!

SamE

Dec 30, 2002, 6:05:51 PM12/30/02
That is an interesting solution, however the phone is a
StarTac 7868. You can only select one ringer style.
I've been thinking about getting the CDM-9500, but I
read somewhere that it does not have the "ringer ID"
feature as well.

despondent

Dec 30, 2002, 6:47:14 PM12/30/02
I haven't tried setting a number to no ringer (silent) on the 9500,
but I have several people in my address book set to different ringers
and it works fine.

Brad

Dec 30, 2002, 7:15:46 PM12/30/02
Call verizon and report this as a harassing call.

David L

Dec 30, 2002, 10:10:23 PM12/30/02

Lookup by NPA and Exchange - TelcoData.us The custom ring select silent
is a great solution.

Well this person left a number and keeps calling, I'd be tempted to keep
calling back until I got through and ask what it is they wanted to
say...

Or plug that number into the reverse lookup
and telco database and just maybe you could find out who they are or
what carrier they use and complain in a more direct way. Chances are
it's a cell and nothing will show up.

You never know, perhaps it's an old aquaintance who keeps sitting on
their keypad?

Telecommunications Database
http://www.telcodata.us/telco.html

SuperPages.com: People Pages Reverse Lookup
http://wp1.superpages.com/wp/reverse.phtml?SRC=&STYPE=&WL=&WF=&T=&S=&A=&X=&P=&WES=&Z=&E=&WENum=

"SamE" <n...@no.com> wrote in article <fYRP9.357715$pN3.37144@sccrnsc03>:
> Someone keeps calling my cell phone (954 area code) from
> a (504 area code) several times a day for the past week.
> It always shows the same number on the Caller ID.
> I don't know who it is, since they always hang up and
> never leave a message.

[posted via phonescoop.com - free web access to the alt.cellular groups]

jen pi

Dec 31, 2002, 12:52:33 AM12/31/02

in some areas this is possible, call cust care
--
We are Blessed!

SamE

Dec 31, 2002, 2:35:28 AM12/31/02
The Telecommunications Database says:
npa-nxx
504-258-xxxx

State
LA

Company
Verizon Wireless-LA

OCN
6505

Ratecenter
NEWORLEANS

CLLI
NWORLA81CM1

Since its a Verizon Customer calling a Verizon Customer, maybe Customer Center
will be bale to be more help than just......Sorry, You can change your number.
I'll call them this week,

Flea Bitten Varmint

Dec 31, 2002, 4:22:42 PM12/31/02
How about calling the number from a payphone? It might cost
you long distance, but it could give you peace of mind. You
don't have to talk to the person, just find out who picks up
the phone. Just a thought...
*FBV

Dean M

Jan 1, 2003, 7:19:29 PM1/1/03
Why not just block your caller ID transmission, call them from a landline phone
and ask why they are calling--there are dozens of reasons what might be going
on.

Examples: Suspicious spouse checking on significant other---they may have
mis-copied a number from the other's phone bill and keep calling to see who
answers.
Somebody's kid may have been playing with their phone and saved
your number at random. When Mommy isn't around the kid hits the number "for
fun".
College kid "pranking" another, using incorrectly copied number.

Strikes me that if it's truly suspicious, they would block their CID. Bet
there's a simple answer. Call and find out !!! You can always change your number
later if it doesn't work..

Dean