MEdiaNetUnlimited as laptop modem

P Hoberg

Jan 1, 2006, 2:33:50 AM1/1/06
I just signed up for MEdiaNetUnlimited intending to use it as modem access
to my email from my laptop. I believe I had it working once before, but
cannot remember what I did. It was on another laptop. I remember people
helping me here at this newsgroup, warning me that Cingular would try to
tell me that I needed the more expensive package, but this could be made to
work. It did. How did I do it? Help, anyone. I searched HowardForum, but
didn't find anything - I probably didn't know how to search. TIA, Paul

P Hoberg

Jan 1, 2006, 2:42:49 AM1/1/06
I forgot to add, I have a Motorola V551 and a USB data cable that I use
routinely to upload and download names and numbers, ring tones, and pictures
using DataPilot. So I just need help configuring whatever I need in my
up-to-date Windows XP Pro.

"P Hoberg" <nospampho...@att.net> wrote in message

Wirelessjuan

Jan 1, 2006, 12:53:44 PM1/1/06
go to cingular's website and download the communication manager.
Install the software 1st then run it and then plug in your data cable
and phone. Let the communication mgr software find the phone and
install the correct drivers.

download here:

http://www.cingular.com/midtolarge/communicationmgr

P Hoberg

Jan 1, 2006, 11:39:05 PM1/1/06
Juan, I did as you suggested. It just sits there, saying "Acquiring Data
Service". Strong signal - -59 dBm. Any idea?

"Wirelessjuan" <wirele...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Wirelessjuan

Jan 2, 2006, 9:22:38 AM1/2/06
Are you able to access the MEdia net service directly on your phone
with out having the data cable plugged in?

Have you power cycled your phone since you've added the MEdia net
service?

Does the communication manager software show blue signal bars when it's
connected?

eatoranges

Jan 2, 2006, 9:28:28 AM1/2/06

sorry to tell you this.. it won't work.

you need a data package. Medianet is a wap application and only
accesses limited sites.

but the cingular rep that sold you.. should have told you .. oh.. my
bad I expected them to know thier own products..

--
eatoranges

Yeeehaaa

Jan 3, 2006, 12:51:24 AM1/3/06

"eatoranges" <eatorang...@cellbanter.com> wrote in message

> sorry to tell you this.. it won't work.
>
> you need a data package. Medianet is a wap application and only
> accesses limited sites.
>
> but the cingular rep that sold you.. should have told you .. oh.. my
> bad I expected them to know thier own products..

Incorrect ....

I have been using MEdianet for over a year and a half to tether to my laptop
and ppc with my phone. I have full access to all websites, not just WAP
specific. I also use opera mini browser every once in a blue moon on my
phone to access the regular internet.

While it is now technically against the TOS to tether (it wasnt when I
signed up), it is still not blocked in any way and works perfectly. I tether
several times a day with just the "plain 'ole" MEdianet.

P Hoberg

Jan 3, 2006, 4:15:18 AM1/3/06
You were correct - Cingular had to re-install my Medianet option and power
cycle my phone for me. I have maximum bars of signal strength.

Now I get an error 734, and I've done the suggestions (1 thru 3, and I was
already at the store to get the option re-installed - he did remove and
re-insert the SIM chip) still get the same error. Any more suggestions?
Will the Cingular company store help me get it working - I'll bet not.

Error 734: The PPP link control protocol terminated
This error is typically reported if an unexpected error has occurred while
connecting to an EDGE or GPRS network, but may also be due to poor signal
strength.

Follow these steps to resolve this error:

1.. Verify that there is no default dial-up connection selected in the
Control Panel. Click here for instructions.

2.. If you are still unable to connect, shut down your PC. Then, restart
the computer and the Communication Manager software and try to connect
again.

3.. If you are still unable to connect, reinstall the software drivers for
you wireless device. See Reinstalling the Device for more information.

4.. If you are still unable to connect, your device's Subscriber
Information Module (SIM) may not be properly configured for data access.
Contact Cingular Customer Care for Additional Support.

=========================

"Wirelessjuan" <wirele...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

P Hoberg

Jan 3, 2006, 10:20:28 AM1/3/06
Hi "Yeeehaaa",
Thank you for confirming my choice. Now, can you tell me how you
accomplished it? I am using up-to-date Windows XP Pro. Please see my
discussion with "Wirelessjuan" (above). Can you offer a solution for me?

======================

"Yeeehaaa" <n...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

do...@xrexxmedia.usenet.us.com

Jan 3, 2006, 12:23:53 PM1/3/06
P Hoberg <nospampho...@att.net> wrote:
> Hi "Yeeehaaa",
> Thank you for confirming my choice. Now, can you tell me how you
> accomplished it? I am using up-to-date Windows XP Pro. Please see my
> discussion with "Wirelessjuan" (above). Can you offer a solution for me?

The dialer profiles that you have are probably for the fully featured
"Laptop Connect" packages, and don't work for the minimalist WAP "Media
Net" account. Adjust the phone number to *99#, set the Username to
W...@CINGULARGPRS.COM, and the password to CINGULAR1.

The Laptop Connect package uses ISP@something.

http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/phones_devices
phone & device support
Follow the configuration for browsing the internet from your phone, which I
presume works, and make the PC dialer information use the same login.

---

jayton

Jan 3, 2006, 12:54:01 PM1/3/06

"eatoranges" <eatorang...@cellbanter.com> wrote in message

> sorry to tell you this.. it won't work.
>
> you need a data package. Medianet is a wap application and only
> accesses limited sites.
>
> but the cingular rep that sold you.. should have told you .. oh.. my
> bad I expected them to know thier own products..
>

> --
> eatoranges

This post is inaccurate. There is no limit on the types of sites that can
be accessed with MediaNet.

Yeeehaaa

Jan 3, 2006, 12:01:04 PM1/3/06

> Hi "Yeeehaaa",
> Thank you for confirming my choice. Now, can you tell me how you
> accomplished it? I am using up-to-date Windows XP Pro. Please see my
> discussion with "Wirelessjuan" (above). Can you offer a solution for me?

I can try <wink>.

I don't use the connection software. I am also using bluetooth instead of a
cable, but setup should be similar (I think I recall you saying you were
using the USB data cable?) I setup a dial-up networking connection telling
it to use my bluetooth modem (whichof course is my phone). I then tell the
phone to dial "*99#" with user name W...@CINGULARGPRS.COM and PW "CINGULAR1".
I don't use any additional modem strings, etc.

Joshua Putnam

Jan 3, 2006, 11:45:12 PM1/3/06
In article <eatorang...@cellbanter.com>,
eatorang...@cellbanter.com says...

> sorry to tell you this.. it won't work.
>
> you need a data package.

Actually, check the DejaNews archives from last month, quite a few
people tether using MediaNet connections. Cingular doesn't prohibit
it, but does reserve the right to cancel your MediaNet package if
they want to.

--
jo...@phred.org is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

P Hoberg

Jan 4, 2006, 4:16:55 AM1/4/06
Thanks, everybody. I added a Cingular option for another $3.99/month -
"Data Access CSD" to get larger data packets, I think. I connect directly
to my ISP using any area code's local access number - then run my browser or
OE6 or whatever I want. It says I connect at 115 - I leave the "status"
window running, to watch the activity - the speed isn't bad. Ah, sweet
success, finally. Whew! I can visit CES Thursday in Vegas, avoid the hotel
room's high per minute phone line costs, and leave that line available.

Yeeehaaa

Jan 4, 2006, 7:35:24 AM1/4/06

> Thanks, everybody. I added a Cingular option for another $3.99/month -
> "Data Access CSD" to get larger data packets, I think. I connect directly
> to my ISP using any area code's local access number - then run my browser
> or OE6 or whatever I want. It says I connect at 115 - I leave the
> "status" window running, to watch the activity - the speed isn't bad. Ah,
> sweet success, finally. Whew! I can visit CES Thursday in Vegas, avoid
> the hotel room's high per minute phone line costs, and leave that line
> available.

Kill the CSD, unless you need dial-up instead of the much faster EDGE. CSD
runs at 14.4kbps (or is it 9.6kbps?). With EDGE and a decent signal, you
will get well over 100kbps. The 115 you are seeing is the port speed (speed
of connection between your phone and computer), not the speed you are
connecting to the internet.

P Hoberg

Jan 4, 2006, 10:34:19 AM1/4/06
I'd like that, but could never get past the 734 error. Too late to change
now - maybe when I'm back this weekend I can work with you to figure out
how. But for now, this is slow, but better than nothing. I start driving
in 2 hours.

"Yeeehaaa" <n...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Cliff

Jan 4, 2006, 11:15:06 AM1/4/06

"P Hoberg" <nospampho...@att.net> wrote in message

Just remember that CSD is using up your minutes - not data

do...@xrexxmedia.usenet.us.com

Jan 4, 2006, 12:10:28 PM1/4/06
P Hoberg <nospampho...@att.net> wrote:
> I'd like that, but could never get past the 734 error. Too late to change
> now - maybe when I'm back this weekend I can work with you to figure out
> how. But for now, this is slow, but better than nothing. I start driving
> in 2 hours.

The CSD option, if the speed is sufficient, is a good deal.
Most people have excess rollover minutes, and if you are connected off
peak, you probably have a huge pool of minutes to use. They are voice
minutes, not data KB, so it's a different pool to keep track of, and voice
minutes are expensive if you go over your plan minutes.

The CSD option is supported, which MediaNet is not, although it does work.
The MediaNet option is faster, but far more expensive, especially for
occasional use.

DecaturTxCowboy

Jan 4, 2006, 6:34:13 PM1/4/06
P Hoberg wrote:
> "Data Access CSD"

Fire bad, CDS bad....EDGE good.

John454ss

Jan 6, 2006, 5:52:59 AM1/6/06

Why not make it easy and buy motorola's phone tools? It updates to the
latest version which allows you to do what you're trying to do. I had
it going (once updated to the latest version) in less than five minutes
over bluetooth.

--
John454ss

Wirelessjuan

Jan 8, 2006, 10:13:49 PM1/8/06
I hooked my V551 up over the weekend and I too was getting the 734
Error. I finally tried making a new connection with Motorola Phone
tools and discovered the number that was set up in the communication
manager was different from the one that Phone Tools had created. I
then decided to edit the accelerated connection through the Cingular
Communication manager and changed the dial up number from *99***1# to
*99***3#. BINGO! No more error message and connected at 115kbs. I
tested the connection between Motorola Phone tools and the Cingular
Communication Manager and they were the same. I checked speeds at
www.bandwidthtestplace.com and they both were within 5kbs of each test.

You can make a manual connection as suggested in this thread with the
following info: (info is case senitive)

User Name: W...@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
Dial Up #: *99***3#

Hope this helps!

P Hoberg

Jan 9, 2006, 5:20:11 PM1/9/06
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Juan, that fixed my problem also, and the
connections speed is much faster that with the extra $3.95 option that also
used my talking minutes. On my last rip to Cingular to turn the $3.95
option off, the guy said the V551 is not an edge phone so this will not be
faster. He obviously was wrong about something. Any idea? TIA, Paul

"Wirelessjuan" <wirele...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Wirelessjuan

Jan 9, 2006, 5:49:11 PM1/9/06
The V551 is most definetly an EDGE phone. Here is the link right to
their site with the V551 on it.

http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/cell-phones.jsp?source=INC230063&_requestid=73958

Motorola V551

Select Features:
Quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE and Bluetooth® compatible

Sean

Jud Hardcastle

Jan 10, 2006, 1:20:10 AM1/10/06
In article <pkBwf.5273$ZA5.2412@fed1read05>, nospampho...@att.net
says...

> Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Juan, that fixed my problem also, and the
> connections speed is much faster that with the extra $3.95 option that also
> used my talking minutes. On my last rip to Cingular to turn the $3.95
> option off, the guy said the V551 is not an edge phone so this will not be
> faster. He obviously was wrong about something. Any idea? TIA, Paul

Apples and oranges. The $3.95 option that uses minutes is CSD (circuit
switched data). The star99 code is causing the V551 to connect using
GPRS which is several times faster than CSD. EDGE is about twice as
fast as non-EDGE GPRS. The Cingular rep must have thought your old
option *HAD* GPRS and you were getting MNUL to get EDGE--in which case
you *wouldn't* have seen any speed increase if the phone doesn't support
it. As to why he thought that--Cingular is no longer actively marketing
CSD and there are probably quite a few salespeople now that have no clue
what it is.

CSD - 14.4 kbs max but often closer to 9.6
GPRS - 160 kbs max--30-80 kbs typical "in the 50's" norm
EDGE - 240 kbs max--115 kbs seems to be pretty typical
UMTS - 1920 kbs max--384 kbs typical in places like Japan that's had it
awhile.

Some reports indicate that Cingular is arbitrarily limiting the time
slots used by EDGE during peak voice hours causing EDGE to approach non-
EDGE GPRS speeds at those times. Hopefully that will be stopped once
the "combined" network is balanced.

More than you may want to know on CSD, GPRS and EDGE at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Packet_Radio_Service
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

jhin...@cfl.rr.com

Jan 12, 2006, 4:33:33 PM1/12/06
Would this process also apply to connecting from a PDA? I have been
trying to do this from my Palm T5 for months and failed (and this still
hasn't worked for me). It used to work with 0 effort on my part when I
was with AT&T wireless, but for some reason Cingular has really screwed
me up on it.

Any suggestions would be great.

Yeeehaaa

Jan 14, 2006, 11:58:02 PM1/14/06
<jhin...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

Yes, it works the same on my Axim x51v/Moto v551 combo.

makarpc

Jan 16, 2006, 9:54:50 PM1/16/06
I hate to belabor the points presented in this thread, but I have read
all of the responses and am struggling with connecting the HP IPAQ 6515
tethered to a Dell laptop. The connection manager never sees the phone.
On one occassion I was able to get the computer to see the HP
smartphone, but even in that case the communication manager wizard
didn't pick up on it.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

I called Cingular's data group and they said Media Net doesn't work in
this situation and I would need to order the Laptop data plan.

--
makarpc

Yeeehaaa

Jan 17, 2006, 7:03:32 AM1/17/06

"makarpc" <makarpc...@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> Yeeehaaa Wrote:
>> <jhin...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> > Would this process also apply to connecting from a PDA? I have
>> been
>> > trying to do this from my Palm T5 for months and failed (and this
>> still
>> > hasn't worked for me). It used to work with 0 effort on my part when
>> > was with AT&T wireless, but for some reason Cingular has really
>> screwed
>> > me up on it.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions would be great.
>> >

>> Yes, it works the same on my Axim x51v/Moto v551 combo.
> I hate to belabor the points presented in this thread, but I have read
> all of the responses and am struggling with connecting the HP IPAQ 6515
> tethered to a Dell laptop. The connection manager never sees the phone.
> On one occassion I was able to get the computer to see the HP
> smartphone, but even in that case the communication manager wizard
> didn't pick up on it.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion?
>
> I called Cingular's data group and they said Media Net doesn't work in
> this situation and I would need to order the Laptop data plan.

When you paired your phone, was there a "dial-up networking" service
available on the phone, or just OBEX, PIM, etc?

Wirelessjuan

Jan 17, 2006, 3:36:26 PM1/17/06
I didn't think you could connect to MEdia net with a Smart Phone
device. I'm pretty sure you will need to have a PDA data type plan in
order for it to work. Can you connect to MEdia net with just the HP
IPAQ browser on the phone?

makarpc

Jan 17, 2006, 11:09:17 PM1/17/06

Please bear with me but I don't remember pairing the phone. When
should that happen?

makarpc

Jan 17, 2006, 11:12:03 PM1/17/06

Yes, I can connect with Media net using the browser. No problem as
long as the GPRS is connected. My interest in using the phone with
the laptop is to improve the readability of the emails and ease in
responding to them and to view websites.

Yeeehaaa

Jan 18, 2006, 10:30:00 AM1/18/06

My fault, I was just assuming bluetooth. I don't think you ever specifically
said that ;)